Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501160 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1100 on: December 26, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
Remains of the Day. Very well done adaptation from the novel. Anthony Hopkins is excellent (though I will never not see him as Hannibal Lecter). It feels like it wouldn't be great as a stand alone, like not having read the book. But I guess I cannot say.

The only downside was we watched this on Pluto TV as we don't subscribe to any streaming services, and the ads were sometimes as frequent as 5 minutes. In a 2.5 hr movie. And the first ad each time was the same, always immediately repeated a second time, followed by 2 more of about 4 other ads. So that was not worth it.

I always see Anthony Hopkins and think of two very different roles:

Titus- adaptation of the play, profoundly, wonderfully dark and twisted, and Jessica Lange is amazing. I believe it's from 1999. I feel like no one has seen this.

The Worlds Fastest Indian- this is classic charming Anthony Hopkins role. I don't usually rewatch movies, but I've rewatched this a few times just to watch it with people. I can't imagine anyone not liking it.
OMG, I adore "The World's Fastest Indian". I've seen it at least three or four times. Related: I was in Dunedin, New Zealand, taking a tour with a delightful local woman. I was telling her about the movie, but couldn't remember the protagonist's name. She slowed down to a bunch of kids sitting on a sea wall and hollered out her window, "what's the name of the guy in the motorbike speed record movie?" In unison, they shouted, "Burt Munro!"

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1101 on: December 26, 2020, 06:07:29 PM »
Enjoyed 'Soul' on Disney Plus, very creative and thought provoking - definitely not a kids movie.  Also the typical high production values of Pixar.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1102 on: December 26, 2020, 06:12:50 PM »
Enjoyed 'Soul' on Disney Plus, very creative and thought provoking - definitely not a kids movie.  Also the typical high production values of Pixar.

Interesting, we watched it during our Christmas movie marathon and I found it dull as dirt.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1103 on: December 26, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »

Interesting, we watched it during our Christmas movie marathon and I found it dull as dirt.

I guess I just look at these things like, are they pandering to a mainstream audience?  And this one certainly wasn't.  I appreciate anytime there is an investment in something 'edgy'.  No, it wasn't 'Earth Shattering', but it was inventive and unique.  Would not personally have called it 'dull as dirt' as compared to what once were the Michael Bay / Star Wars mega-summer movies.

Edit to sarcastically add - maybe you were hoping for baby Yoda, the Burj Khalifa being destroyed, or a neutrino-bomb?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:39:27 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1104 on: December 27, 2020, 06:55:30 AM »

I guess I just look at these things like, are they pandering to a mainstream audience?  And this one certainly wasn't.  I appreciate anytime there is an investment in something 'edgy'.  No, it wasn't 'Earth Shattering', but it was inventive and unique.  Would not personally have called it 'dull as dirt' as compared to what once were the Michael Bay / Star Wars mega-summer movies.

Edit to sarcastically add - maybe you were hoping for baby Yoda, the Burj Khalifa being destroyed, or a neutrino-bomb?

Ooh...burn, lol
But wow, did you guess my taste wrong.

Soul had some very good actors, and some okay content, but it was a good 30 minutes longer than it needed to be, and IMO takes itself far too seriously for content that wasn't anywhere near profound enough for the frequent, nagging angst.

Perhaps it's because I don't ever watch any kids movies, but it absolutely does not strike me as an actual adult animated movie, although I agree it was certainly too serious for most kids, so I feel like it got kind of stuck in the no-man's-land between the two.

So yeah, I found it rather boring, but not for a lack of explosions.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1105 on: December 27, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
My wife are re-watching the Die Hard movies. Die Hard being one of the best Christmas movies of all time after all.

I hadn't watched Die Hard all the way through in years. Still good. We're in the middle of Die Hard 2 now. I think Die Hard 3 is probably my favorite though. The 4th one.... well, I think it goes without saying that rebooting franchises years later has never worked out well (i.e. the terrible Indiana Jones 4 movie - aliens, really?).

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: December 27, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »
We watched "So I Married An Axe Murderer" last night. Been a long time since I've seen it and I have fond memories. Happily, it mostly stood the test of time and we enjoyed it. Having lived in San Francisco since my first viewing as a kid, I know recognize the weird patchwork of shots, but still cool to see all the familiar areas. Mike Myers was fun in his heydey!

Oh this makes me want to see this movie again! I remember it as good fun. I lived in San Francisco in the 90s, and it will call up a time when regular people, like the poet Mike Myers plays, lived there.

This might be an entertaining watch with my teenage offspring this week.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1107 on: December 30, 2020, 02:12:21 PM »
We watched Red last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it! It’s an action comedy from 2010, with Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. I had never heard of it and went in with low expectations, but it was super fun!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1108 on: December 30, 2020, 02:44:08 PM »
We watched The Neon Demon which was a visually gorgeous but deeply odd meditation on youth and beauty. The director had a vision, that's for sure. Elle Fanning is splendid as always.

TW: Don't watch it if you have splatter/body horror triggers. It goes places.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1109 on: December 30, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »
We watched Red last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it! It’s an action comedy from 2010, with Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. I had never heard of it and went in with low expectations, but it was super fun!

LOVE Red!!!

Red 2 isn't a let down either, highly recommend

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1110 on: December 30, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »

LOVE Red!!!

Red 2 isn't a let down either, highly recommend

Really! Thanks for the recommendation! DH and I both agreed they set the ending up for a sequel, so we weren’t surprised to see there was one... but I was a little wary to watch it. Appreciate the thumbs up!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1111 on: December 30, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »
I watched Get Him to the Greek last night which was, surprisingly, not bad.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1112 on: December 30, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
I watched Get Him to the Greek last night which was, surprisingly, not bad.

It's fantastic if you are in the exact right mood for it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1113 on: December 31, 2020, 12:35:35 PM »
Synecdoche, New York.  I think I understand and agree with the broad implications/interpretations of this movie (especially after reading a couple of reviews) but I'm not sure this was a valuable or effective way to communicate those ideas.  And many pieces of it just mystify me.  But art always does and this film really is *art* -- much more similar to something you might see at MOMA or Tate Modern than like the typical action films, documentaries or rom-coms that more generally fit the term "movie."

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1114 on: January 01, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »
Since we’re stuck indoors because of an ice storm, I decided to rewatch the 2019 version of Little Women. I think it’s already a favorite even though I’ve only seen it twice. The portrayals of Beth and Amy are my favorites of all the movie adaptations, and Saoirse Ronan really captured Jo’s/Louisa May Alcott’s energy. I hadn’t noticed the first time that the flashbacks are cast in a warmer tone than the “present-day” bits. It’s a nice touch.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1115 on: January 01, 2021, 02:53:28 PM »
So, because of you weirdos, I rented "A Christmas Story" and watched it with DH.

Okay...what kind of fucked up drugs were they on to make such a weird ass, stressful movie?? I mean, it was kind of genius, but also kind of one of the most uncomfortable movies I've ever seen.

The eating like a pig scene? The leg lamp? Santa kicking the kid in the face?

I feel like the entire movie was an early 80s fever dream.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1116 on: January 01, 2021, 03:02:18 PM »
Yay!  Glad you watched it, @Malcat!  In Cleveland, the house that was used to film the movie (either just the inside or just the outside, now I can't remember) is now a museum and they have a huge gift shop there, too, where they have a ridiculous number of tchotchkes echoing that leg lamp, and all other manner of A Christmas Story paraphernalia.  It's really popular.  As for the 80s fever dream, I agree and....not sure if I read this somewhere or whether it's just my interpretation, but the movie is from a kid's point of view/memories, and so "fever dream" is probably a rather apt description.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1117 on: January 01, 2021, 03:31:34 PM »
Yay!  Glad you watched it, @Malcat!  In Cleveland, the house that was used to film the movie (either just the inside or just the outside, now I can't remember) is now a museum and they have a huge gift shop there, too, where they have a ridiculous number of tchotchkes echoing that leg lamp, and all other manner of A Christmas Story paraphernalia.  It's really popular.  As for the 80s fever dream, I agree and....not sure if I read this somewhere or whether it's just my interpretation, but the movie is from a kid's point of view/memories, and so "fever dream" is probably a rather apt description.

Oh for sure. His perspective on how grotesquely useless and awful his baby brother is spot on for how an 8 year old would see it.

The whole thing was so twisted though, it was as is David Lynch tried to make a children's Christmas movie.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1118 on: January 01, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »

Oh for sure. His perspective on how grotesquely useless and awful his baby brother is spot on for how an 8 year old would see it.

The whole thing was so twisted though, it was as is David Lynch tried to make a children's Christmas movie.

It's based on Jean Shepherd's memoirs of his childhood. He narrated the movie as the adult Ralphie.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1119 on: January 01, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »

It's based on Jean Shepherd's memoirs of his childhood. He narrated the movie as the adult Ralphie.

The narration was perfect.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1120 on: January 01, 2021, 09:04:47 PM »
Just finished watching the movie Tenet.  Both DW and I didn't like it, as we found the movie confusing and didn't match the hype we had heard or seen in the previews.

Spoiler: show
The movie has a time travel theme and had too many paradoxes of time travel for me. If it had been just a straight up spy movie it would have been better for us.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1121 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:00 AM »
I watched The Lighthouse because the premise seemed like it might be cool and it had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was sold to me as a horror drama.  0 stars.  Would not recommend.  At least not to anyone I'm friends with.

Spoiler alert - although not really.  That would imply there's much to spoil in this film.

To start this terrible movie off, it's in black and white.  Which . . . meh.  OK, whatever.  I made it through Sin City, the first part of the Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Kane . . . and they were all fine.  It's also set with a square ratio, rather than one that fills your TV.  Again . . . meh.  I grew up before widescreen TVs were a thing and have enjoyed many films in this format.  The director is trying to set a mood and theme.  I get it.  Also the sound isn't recorded all that well in parts, so it's hard sometimes to hear what people are saying in the film.  That's a bit less forgivable.  I think it was just sloppy (rushed) shooting.  But whatevs.

It's the story of a young man with a chronic masturbation problem who gets a job on a remote light house.  The only other person at the light house is an old man who is a pathological liar, dedicated amateur flatulist, and alcoholic.  I guess that covers the drama.  Full plot synopsis - two unlikable people masturbate and fart until very, very, very predictably, one ends up killing the other.  As far as I can tell, the entire 'horror' aspect of the movie comes mostly at the end where you realize that you've wasted hours of your life that you'll never get back.

If you really, really love pretentiousness and messages that are very obvious but you think are really hard to spot - this may be a great movie for you!  There's a lot of stuff that's clumsily supposed to 'make you think'.  I think.  Ridiculous amounts of gay subtext and sooo much coded (and some not so coded) homoeroticism between the old and young man, the lighthouse is used several times in shots to represent a phallus, it's pretty heavy handed in treatment of 'alcoholism is bad'.  Plenty of reference and allusion to old Greek myths too, which should make uh  . . .  nobody I know excited.  There was at least one prominent cinematic re-creation of a 1900s era gay artistic painting if that floats your boat.  By the end of the movie sending these messages has become much more important than little things like logical consistency.  Like the director really wanted to go all in on the Prometheus myth bandwagon so by the end he's doing stuff like having the young guy try to touch his hand to the burning lighthouse light (while screaming and distorting the pre-amps on the mics - because fuck you audio fidelity, that's why!) then falling down the lighthouse stairs to his (presumable) death .  .  . next shot he's naked and lying on rocks miles from the lighthouse with no apparent damage to his hand and having seagulls pull out his entrails - and crying.

TLDR - Pretentious artsy movie with lots of unspoken gay stuff, lots of in your face masturbation and farting, little logical consistency but somehow a completely predictable story line and zero horror.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:46:05 AM by GuitarStv »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1122 on: January 02, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
I watched The Lighthouse because the premise seemed like it might be cool and it had a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was sold to me as a horror drama.  0 stars.  Would not recommend.  At least not to anyone I'm friends with.

Spoiler alert - although not really.  That would imply there's much to spoil in this film.

To start this terrible movie off, it's in black and white.  Which . . . meh.  OK, whatever.  I made it through Sin City, the first part of the Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Kane . . . and they were all fine.  It's also set with a square ratio, rather than one that fills your TV.  Again . . . meh.  I grew up before widescreen TVs were a thing and have enjoyed many films in this format.  The directory is trying to set a mood and theme.  I get it.  Also the sound isn't recorded all that well in parts, so it's hard sometimes to hear what people are saying in the film.  That's a bit less forgivable.  I think it was just sloppy (rushed) shooting.  But whatevs.

It's the story of a young man with a chronic masturbation problem who gets a job on a remote light house.  The only other person at the light house is an old man who is a pathological liar, dedicated amateur flatulist, and alcoholic.  I guess that covers the drama.  Full plot synopsis - two unlikable people masturbate and fart until very, very, very predictably, one ends up killing the other.  As far as I can tell, the entire 'horror' aspect of the movie comes mostly at the end where you realize that you've wasted hours of your life that you'll never get back.

If you really, really love pretentiousness and messages that are very obvious but you think are really hard to spot - this may be a great movie for you!  There's a lot of stuff that's clumsily supposed to 'make you think'.  I think.  Ridiculous amounts of gay subtext and sooo much coded (and some not so coded) homoeroticism between the old and young man, the lighthouse is used several times in shots to represent a phallus, it's pretty heavy handed in treatment of 'alcoholism is bad'.  Plenty of reference and allusion to old Greek myths too, which should make uh  . . .  nobody I know excited.  There was at least one prominent cinematic re-creation of a 1900s era gay artistic painting if that floats your boat.  By the end of the movie sending these messages has become much more important than little things like logical consistency.  Like the director really wanted to go all in on the Prometheus myth bandwagon so by the end he's doing stuff like having the young guy try to touch his hand to the burning lighthouse light (while screaming and distorting the pre-amps on the mics - because fuck you audio fidelity, that's why!) then falling down the lighthouse stairs to his (presumable) death .  .  . next shot he's naked and lying on rocks miles from the lighthouse with no apparent damage to his hand and having seagulls pull out his entrails - and crying.

TLDR - Pretentious artsy movie with lots of unspoken gay stuff, lots of in your face masturbation and farting, little logical consistency but somehow a completely predictable story line and zero horror.

Hilarious synopsis of this movie! You should be a movie critic! Will be sure to skip this!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1123 on: January 02, 2021, 08:59:29 AM »

To start this terrible movie off, it's in black and white.  Which . . . meh.  OK, whatever.  I made it through Sin City, the first part of the Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Kane . . . and they were all fine.  It's also set with a square ratio, rather than one that fills your TV.  Again . . . meh.  I grew up before widescreen TVs were a thing and have enjoyed many films in this format.  The directory is trying to set a mood and theme.  I get it.  Also the sound isn't recorded all that well in parts, so it's hard sometimes to hear what people are saying in the film.  That's a bit less forgivable.  I think it was just sloppy (rushed) shooting.  But whatevs.

Hilarious synopsis of this movie! You should be a movie critic! Will be sure to skip this!

I'm grateful this movie exists so that I got to read this review.

10/10 would recommend, certified fresh

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1124 on: January 02, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »

I'm grateful this movie exists so that I got to read this review.

10/10 would recommend, certified fresh

Same. This is an A+ review. I read it out loud to my husband, a movie buff who might otherwise have tried to watch it. Thanks for saving us from this horror.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1125 on: January 02, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
I'm not often driven to write a review . . . but this movie was awful.  There needs to be more warning out there than a 90% Rotten Tomatoes score.  Here's an abbreviated flow of consciousness while watching the film:

"Did he just fart?"

"That was definitely a fart."

"Oh, he farted again.  I guess this is going to be a thing."

"Why is this guy so angry at this random bird?"

"Is the old man fucking an octopus?"

"And now the young guy is masturbating.  For the third time.  In 30 minutes.  Not that I'm keeping records . . . but this seems like an unusually high masturbation count for a film."

"The scary part must be in the second half."

"Oh good . . . alcohol has joined the party.  I was worried they were going to start making more sense at some point, but now the director can really flex his crazy and get to the scary."

"Why is this guy beating the shit out of this seagull?  The seagull was the most relatable character in the movie."

"And now the young guy is watching the old guy's semen drip through the ceiling grate after an aggressive masturbation session."

"More farting I see.  This will certainly never get old."

"Is the lobster the old guy yelling about really supposed to be his penis?"

"How did a vagina just appear on that mermaid?  It wasn't there in the last shot of her."

"The scary part must be in the last quarter."

"Ohh . . . the old guy was the octopus.  Maybe?"

"The scary part must be in the last fifteen minutes."

"Man, they're really trying to hit you over the head with the Prometheus thing."

"The scary part must be one of those post credit trailer scenes?"

"Well, now my wife will never let me choose a movie ever again."

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1126 on: January 02, 2021, 11:26:02 AM »
Sounds like a must-miss, @GuitarStv !

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1127 on: January 02, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »

To start this terrible movie off, it's in black and white.  Which . . . meh.  OK, whatever.  I made it through Sin City, the first part of the Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Kane . . . and they were all fine.  It's also set with a square ratio, rather than one that fills your TV.  Again . . . meh.  I grew up before widescreen TVs were a thing and have enjoyed many films in this format.  The director is trying to set a mood and theme.  I get it.  Also the sound isn't recorded all that well in parts, so it's hard sometimes to hear what people are saying in the film.  That's a bit less forgivable.  I think it was just sloppy (rushed) shooting.  But whatevs.

I love me a good Greek Myth (fell in love with them as a kid watching Jim Henson's The Storyteller).  But, yeah, I think I'm going to skip this one...

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1128 on: January 02, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »
Just watched the Lighthouse. Not even kidding, just a coincidence as I had a day to myself and my husband doesn't watch (things that are marketed as) horror movies. I love horror movies and am always on the lookout for good ones (very hard to find). Luckily, I was aware that this wasn't really horror, but I still wanted to see what it was really like.

Loved reading the above review and it's totally accurate while at the same time I... Sort of liked it? Haha, I don't know what to say, it was just kinda fun to see what would happen next.

Would we learn more about the mermaid? What about the young blond guy... Is he Dafoe at a younger age and either way, why does he keep making appearances? Why did Pattinson get called Dafoe's name half the time toward the end and at one point they talk about Pattinson in the third person? And the dog scene? All mysteries I hoped would be solved, but were not and somehow I was ok with that. The logical inconsistency @GuitarStv mentions was so bad I guess I just got on board with it, whereas a movie that tries to be logical but fails makes me angry.

Obviously I can't recommend it just because I got some perverse and surprising fun out of it but the one thing I will say was Dafoe and Pattinson's performances were fantastic to watch. They were *committed* to these roles and it was fascinating just to watch them.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1129 on: January 03, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
It's interesting that some of you had the impression The Lighthouse was meant to be horror. I listened to tons of movie-oriented podcasts and discussions about it when it came out, and it was always described as a black comedy.  And yeah, critics really dug it. There was a lot of buzz that Dafoe was going to get an Oscar nom, but then the field ended up absolutely ultra-stacked that year on the men's side...

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1130 on: January 03, 2021, 11:05:19 AM »
It's interesting that some of you had the impression The Lighthouse was meant to be horror. I listened to tons of movie-oriented podcasts and discussions about it when it came out, and it was always described as a black comedy.  And yeah, critics really dug it. There was a lot of buzz that Dafoe was going to get an Oscar nom, but then the field ended up absolutely ultra-stacked that year on the men's side...

It is really referred to in the popular media as horror more then anything else, even if those in the know don't describe it that way. I just googled and in the first page of results, there's about 2 things that don't reference it as horror or at least "psychological thriller" in the very first sentence. But it does do a huge disservice to the film that so many ended up describing it this way. One of the results described it as an arthouse drama and I thought that was apt.

I actually thought Pattinson was the better of the two performances. A bit more nuanced and complex. But they were both good. In fact, having simmered on it overnight, I'm even more impressed with both of them, and also some of the camera and lighting work that I think enhanced what they were doing in their performances.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1131 on: January 03, 2021, 06:44:23 PM »
Synecdoche, New York.  I think I understand and agree with the broad implications/interpretations of this movie (especially after reading a couple of reviews) but I'm not sure this was a valuable or effective way to communicate those ideas.  And many pieces of it just mystify me.  But art always does and this film really is *art* -- much more similar to something you might see at MOMA or Tate Modern than like the typical action films, documentaries or rom-coms that more generally fit the term "movie."
It's not one of Kaufman's "fun" movies like Adaptation or Being John Malkovich though the latter is kind of a psychological horror, really) and it can be kind of excruciating to watch, sort of like some of my other favorites like The Seventh Continent (Hanake's best movie, I would say) or Rosetta. Anyway, regarding Synechdoche, this (lengthy) YT series on it is one of the more appropriately neurotic reviews of the film I have run across.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1132 on: January 03, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »
It's probably already been mentioned, but we really liked "The Highwaymen". Not as good but still entertaining was 2014's "Chef".

I know this isn't a movie, but we also started "Bridgerton". We watched the first episode and didn't feel compelled to watch any more. Can anyone tell me if it's worth another effort? BTW, I understand it's supposed to be a kind of fantasy, and I generally appreciate Shondaland and we loved Downton Abbey. Related: "The Remains of the Day" is an enduring favorite.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1133 on: January 03, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
It's probably already been mentioned, but we really liked "The Highwaymen". Not as good but still entertaining was 2014's "Chef".

I know this isn't a movie, but we also started "Bridgerton". We watched the first episode and didn't feel compelled to watch any more. Can anyone tell me if it's worth another effort? BTW, I understand it's supposed to be a kind of fantasy, and I generally appreciate Shondaland and we loved Downton Abbey. Related: "The Remains of the Day" is an enduring favorite.

A couple of my friends have finished Bridgerton and loved it, so maybe the first episode is weak and the rest is great. I haven't watched it yet.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1134 on: January 03, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »

You might give it one more episode...the supporting characters were the best part of the series for me and my recollection is that you really start getting to know them in episode 2...episode one is doing a lot of table setting.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1135 on: January 04, 2021, 06:06:12 AM »

Bridgerton is... fine. We just finished episode 5, I think. It’s a bit of fluffy fun, some of the secondary characters are amusing. The main dude is incredibly good looking... but his reason for not marrying or having children is pretty weak to hang the whole plot on. We just rewatched the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice, and Bridgerton doesn’t compare well... but we’ll finish watching the season.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1136 on: January 04, 2021, 08:32:37 AM »

Bridgerton is... fine. We just finished episode 5, I think. It’s a bit of fluffy fun, some of the secondary characters are amusing. The main dude is incredibly good looking... but his reason for not marrying or having children is pretty weak to hang the whole plot on. We just rewatched the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice, and Bridgerton doesn’t compare well... but we’ll finish watching the season.

The BBC P&P is kind of in its own class, though. Not sure a comparison is fair.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1137 on: January 04, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »

The BBC P&P is kind of in its own class, though. Not sure a comparison is fair.

Yes, that's kind of what I was getting at, though I don't think I communicated it well. Bridgerton so clearly takes from tropes that P&P does so much better, that watching it right after highlights its deficiencies.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1138 on: January 05, 2021, 05:52:44 PM »
"The Wrong House" on youtube.  It wasn't horrible, but very slow.  The most exciting part was recognizing and actor, spending a few minutes thinking "why do I know him", and then realizing "it's Babe Ruth!" (You're killing me Smalls...)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1139 on: January 05, 2021, 11:25:49 PM »
I am going to see The Dry in an actual cinema this weekend, as it has finally made its way to country cinemas.. Am very excited as my city friends who have read the book loved it. Cannot remember the last time I saw a new release film on the big screen. And frankly, I haven't been able to concentrate long enough to watch any of your excellent-sounding recommendations on small screens either. Though I am keeping a list for future reference.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1140 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:42 AM »
I tried watching Bridgerton and after 3-4 Episodes I baled.

Watched Virgin River. Kinda like a Hallmark Movie but for some reason I still liked it.

Now I am 5 episodes in on Imposters. This one I really like.

Sure it was mentioned but I really like The Gambit

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1141 on: January 07, 2021, 08:32:04 PM »
Just watched the Lighthouse. Not even kidding, just a coincidence as I had a day to myself and my husband doesn't watch (things that are marketed as) horror movies. I love horror movies and am always on the lookout for good ones (very hard to find). Luckily, I was aware that this wasn't really horror, but I still wanted to see what it was really like.

Loved reading the above review and it's totally accurate while at the same time I... Sort of liked it? Haha, I don't know what to say, it was just kinda fun to see what would happen next.

Would we learn more about the mermaid? What about the young blond guy... Is he Dafoe at a younger age and either way, why does he keep making appearances? Why did Pattinson get called Dafoe's name half the time toward the end and at one point they talk about Pattinson in the third person? And the dog scene? All mysteries I hoped would be solved, but were not and somehow I was ok with that. The logical inconsistency @GuitarStv mentions was so bad I guess I just got on board with it, whereas a movie that tries to be logical but fails makes me angry.

Obviously I can't recommend it just because I got some perverse and surprising fun out of it but the one thing I will say was Dafoe and Pattinson's performances were fantastic to watch. They were *committed* to these roles and it was fascinating just to watch them.

I’ve been thinking I will watch The Lighthouse. Still considering it...

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1142 on: January 07, 2021, 08:54:14 PM »
Tying in movies and frugality, AARP is offering a free online movie each month to members.  This month's is "Aggie" showing next Thurs, 1/14, and has a rating of 8.0 on imdb.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1143 on: January 08, 2021, 03:07:35 PM »

I saw it a few months ago. Thought I would possibly not like it, but it was a free dvd, and nothing else to do, so what the heck? 

I liked it. Why? The incredible acting. Some may say it is overacting, but whatever it was, was just terrific, in my opinion.

If you want to see Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe with outrageous old-timey sea dog accents, raging against each other trapped in a lighthouse amid titanic storms, go for it. 

It had all three themes of literature. Man against Nature. Man against Man. Man against Himself.

Yah, it has ludicrous scenes all over the place. But great cinematography of the ocean and craggy shore, and gritty closeups of the raging, drunken Pattinson and Dafoe.

More of a drama than a horror movie.  And the ending was really bizarre.

No doubt has its own cult following by now.   

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1144 on: January 08, 2021, 07:04:32 PM »

I saw it a few months ago. Thought I would possibly not like it, but it was a free dvd, and nothing else to do, so what the heck? 

I liked it. Why? The incredible acting. Some may say it is overacting, but whatever it was, was just terrific, in my opinion.

If you want to see Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe with outrageous old-timey sea dog accents, raging against each other trapped in a lighthouse amid titanic storms, go for it. 

It had all three themes of literature. Man against Nature. Man against Man. Man against Himself.

Yah, it has ludicrous scenes all over the place. But great cinematography of the ocean and craggy shore, and gritty closeups of the raging, drunken Pattinson and Dafoe.

I think I will like it if I get in the right mood for it.

I like the film Ghost which many people did not like but I thought was mesmerizing.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1145 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »

I like the film Ghost which many people did not like but I thought was mesmerizing.

Are you referring to Ghost...the 90s Patrick Swayze/Demi Moore movie?  I feel like there might be a different one you are referring to, because that one was super popular and....probably not in the same vein as this discussion?  Curious, though.

We watched Sicario, which was superficially a good watch.  But I feel like if you try to really pay attention and ask much about what's going on beneath the surface, it sort of annoys because it doesn't quite hang together or you can't really understand what the motivations or issues are. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1146 on: January 10, 2021, 03:30:42 PM »

Are you referring to Ghost...the 90s Patrick Swayze/Demi Moore movie?  I feel like there might be a different one you are referring to, because that one was super popular and....probably not in the same vein as this discussion?  Curious, though.

We watched Sicario, which was superficially a good watch.  But I feel like if you try to really pay attention and ask much about what's going on beneath the surface, it sort of annoys because it doesn't quite hang together or you can't really understand what the motivations or issues are.

Yeah, Sicario was so serious but made no sense. It's such an odd combo.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1147 on: January 10, 2021, 08:33:26 PM »
We started to watch the Cobra Kai series. My daughter had never watched the original Karate Kid movies so we are re-watching them now. Maybe it just because we are into the new Cobra Kai series with all the flash backs to the movies, but we really enjoyed the re-watching 1st Karate Kid movie.   

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1148 on: January 11, 2021, 08:44:13 AM »
'Dark Waters' with Mark Ruffalo. It was OK. Standard plot, about water pollution and one man's brave legal fight against it. It has what I will call a happy ending.   

'The Seventh Continent'. I won't mention the plot, to avoid spoiling it. German language with English subtitles. I guess I liked it, since it held my attention, and was better than being bored, since not much else to do lately. I didn't understand why it ended the way it did, and the director who was featured in a bonus appearance, said he didn't want the film to explain why the ending was as it was.

On the queue is 'Get Me to the Greek' on dvd. As soon as I saw Russel Brand on the cover, I thought 'oh God, this movie will suck', since I don't like his comedy act.  But I'm going to see how it is.  More later.     

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1149 on: January 11, 2021, 08:57:43 AM »
Pieces of a Woman about a home birth gone bad, and the aftermath. Vanessa Kirby is wonderful in it. She will get an Oscar nomination.

I was finally able to see Shia LeBoef who I keep hearing about. In this he was not stellar.

There were some weird plot devices that were jarring. I would give this a letter grade of B due to those oddities.  But again, can’t emphasize enough how good Vanessa Kirby was in it. It is her film, she is in every scene.

You all will remember that she played Princess Margaret in  the first two seasons of The Crown  and she held her own against the luminous Claire Foy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:59:29 AM by iris lily »