Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263971 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
Tuesday I was on vacation, visiting an art museum (the Perez) in Miami. They have hammock swings outside, so I spent about 20 minutes just swinging back and forth looking out at the bay and feeling the warm breeze on my face.

I need to remind myself that sitting outside is awesome whether I've flown somewhere to do it or not.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
Today, I finally got to hang out with this guy that I've been interested in for quite a while now (as friends or romantically - currently undetermined) and he said that he's totally into Tiny Houses and the whole self-sustainability thing, self-employment, quasi-retirement etc. Now, this is common for people I know via the internet, but in real life it's amazing for someone to even know what tiny houses are, let alone actually be into that stuff and have actually done some research about it. This was just what most struck me today, after a long and growing list of things we have in common that no one else really cares about or talks about.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »
Happiness to me is a landscaping project of any sort, and today's project cost me $9.48 (plus a gift card a neighbor gave me unsolicited for some earlier help on one of their projects).    Cleared out overgrown areas on a retaining wall, pine strawed and planted some ornamental perennials and the whole thing just looks 1000 times better now...   Even put a small weatherproof placard in my neighbor's honor on the site that I hope they see someday as a nice gesture to recognize them for being so thoughtful.   I'll sleep well tonight after all the weed pulling/roundup'ing/planting/spreading, that's for sure!

jordanread

« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
I'll post about this a bit later in my Journal, but the cliff notes are awesome enough to share here. I just got back from a 'vacation'. Not Mustachian in the least, and it caused a ridiculous amount of stress. I didn't want to go, but I did, and I paid for it. While we were out for two weeks, there were 3 days that I found enjoyable (although I could have had a lot more fun, for a lot less money). Shitty, right? Well, the highlight of this trip was a car ride (don't even get me started on the driving...) where the SO and I started chatting, and it turns out that we each thought it was the other's idea, and neither of us really wanted to go. While our communication skills are pretty good already, we were able to identify some weak spots. It was an expensive lesson, but I think it was worth it.

To summarize:
I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a dumb birthday vacation, and while there were some fun days, the best thing that came out of this was the understanding that the SO and I have additional depths of communication, that we didn't even know we needed. Our relationship will be stronger, so the spending was well worth it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2015, 02:07:55 PM »
Reading a library book to my 7 year old while curled up in a comfortable chair together.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
Using child labor to plant rows of green beans.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
Riding my freshly-cleaned bike! Smooth as butter!
Going to get my lunch from the breakroom and finding free sandwiches!

Using child labor to plant rows of green beans.

Lol!

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
I was out for a walk and saw a lady feeding some stray cats. And then along came a duck. I must admit, I questioned its sanity, given that the cats were starving but hey, a free meal is a free meal!

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2015, 04:31:40 AM »
I was out for a walk and saw a lady feeding some stray cats. And then along came a duck. I must admit, I questioned its sanity, given that the cats were starving but hey, a free meal is a free meal!

This made my day.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »
Hubby came home and related his conversation at work:
Hubby's CW: "So I just wanted to confirm vacation scheduling with you. Your taking end of May off?"
Hubby: "Yup, heading down to Seattle and Oregon"
CW: "Cool! What are you planning on doing in Seattle"
Hubby: "Wife has a retreat planned"
CW: (with a note of pity in his voice) "Ouch! Oh, what's her thing? Quilting?"
Hubby: "Nope, Financial Independence!"
CW: "Wait....there's a "group" of people for that?!?"
Hubby: "Yep, we call ourselves mustachians...here's a website to check out...."

He's an Engineer, pretty sure he'll make his way here eventually :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »
Goblin Alpha describing an earthworm as "It's so cute!" in tones most folks reserve for kittens and puppies.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: April 30, 2015, 06:49:07 AM »
NO WIND ON MY BIKE COMMUTE!    :O

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #212 on: April 30, 2015, 07:02:37 AM »
NO WIND ON MY BIKE COMMUTE!    :O

That is a very good thing!

Goblin Alpha describing an earthworm as "It's so cute!" in tones most folks reserve for kittens and puppies.

She said the same thing about the fish heads I trimmed off when making dinner last night. Lol.

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »
Found out I'm officially done with coursework for my PhD! (I still have to take comprehensive exams and write a dissertation, but hey, one step closer, right?)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2015, 05:49:54 PM »
Found out I'm officially done with coursework for my PhD! (I still have to take comprehensive exams and write a dissertation, but hey, one step closer, right?)

Yay! That's a wonderful milestone. In retrospect, classes were quite distracting (finished mine a year ago).

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
Morning walk with my dogs then 20 minutes or so of yoga.   More specifically, denying others the pleasure of making me jolt upright, shower, gulp breakfast, etc. every morning without replenishing my muscles and cardio system.   I'm a sentient being who knows that my body needs healthy exercise to perform it's best for the long run and I refuse to be run ragged by a crazy schedule for corporate America.   I'll stay a half hour later in the day to make up for a good morning that makes a good day.   Surprisingly, this schedule has worked 9 days out of 10 and the world has not stopped spinning.   In fact, I find it's an advantage over others who are overweight, stressed and complainypants.   

Whatever your morning exercise routine is while working, "Just Do It".

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2015, 05:42:23 AM »
Morning walk with my dogs then 20 minutes or so of yoga.   More specifically, denying others the pleasure of making me jolt upright, shower, gulp breakfast, etc. every morning without replenishing my muscles and cardio system.   I'm a sentient being who knows that my body needs healthy exercise to perform it's best for the long run and I refuse to be run ragged by a crazy schedule for corporate America.   I'll stay a half hour later in the day to make up for a good morning that makes a good day.   Surprisingly, this schedule has worked 9 days out of 10 and the world has not stopped spinning.   In fact, I find it's an advantage over others who are overweight, stressed and complainypants.   

Whatever your morning exercise routine is while working, "Just Do It".

I like this attitude!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
I was supposed to have to move some furniture for my MIL last Saturday, but the escrow closing was delayed so it will be this week instead. Since my Saturday was left open for this cancelled task my wife and I had a whole day to ourselves. We sat in our backyard for several hours just relaxing, enjoying fancypants homemade lattes, and enjoying the beautiful weather and our dogs. It actually felt like a vacation which I am long overdue for.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »
Seeing how excited my oldest got during an absurdly long bike ride for their age (7 and 8 year olds, 19 miles) because of how fast we got to go down some of the hills, and the pretty sights.

Oh, and yesterday, it made my day to make my wife's day by surprising her with coffee and kringle before she got up for work.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Seeing how excited my oldest got during an absurdly long bike ride for their age (7 and 8 year olds, 19 miles) because of how fast we got to go down some of the hills, and the pretty sights.

Oh, and yesterday, it made my day to make my wife's day by surprising her with coffee and kringle before she got up for work.

I hope at least once you all yelled "wheeeeeeeeeeee!" While zipping down the hills!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
I found a leak in the plumbing below the kitchen sink. I was going to call a plummer straight away, but thought I'd have my husband have a look at it first, just in case it was something simple.  Turns out it was something simple: just a threaded section had come loose over the 24 years since this house was built! I'm so happy to have saved the money and so proud of my husband for figuring this out! That made my day!

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2015, 04:50:14 AM »
My DH's favourite beer on sale at 50% off. You don't get a reliable supply of German beer here in the Philippines and not on sale in those quantities. I put 24 500ml bottles in my trolley and hoped I wouldn't bump into anyone I knew!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2015, 06:20:20 AM »
Instead of biking to work as usual, I started to walk from home and back with a big Akita dog I am pet-sitting. The walk takes about 45 minutes through a frozen lake. It was -27 C today (with wind chill, it felts like -35 C), and it felts wonderful. The dog spent the day lazying around my office, and it was comforting to have this 125 pound beast breathing slowly next to me...I think I will do that every day until it gets too cold, which is pretty soon. Then I'll be back on my bike, a much quicker commute.

I don't typically respond to posts that are this old, but what is too cold for you?!!!!  Isn't -27C already something like "freeze your butt off" already in Fahrenheit? :)  Must be a dry cold - ha ha.

-27C = -16F

Just wow!  Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
Rollin - ykphil is a badass who regularly bikes when it is -40C or, if he is close enough, just walks because it's faster than hauling the bike out. He's one of many around here who inspired me to bike through my somewhat tamer winters.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2015, 12:42:38 PM »
Yesterday, as I walked a mile across the Manchester Bridge over the James River to get to my car, a bald eagle flew overhead with sticks in his talons.  He was on his way home for some DIY home improvement.   It was 7:30 pm and the sky was fading to coral and purple.  Six kayakers paddled by just below me, heading for the rapids.

If I paid to park in the garage at my office, I'd never have experienced that beautiful moment.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »
Great bike ride into work today along the Potomac, long lunch with my bride to watch the Arsenal of Democracy 70th Anniversary of VE day fly over and I get a leisurely ride home tonight followed by a cold frosty malted beverage.  What's not to like!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
It was that yearly watershed moment . . . First commute of the that didn't require covering my ears or waring long fingered gloves.  13 degrees in the morning and 25 on the way home.  Whooooooooooo!  It only gets better from here.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »
I'm editing my friend's book and it's REALLY GOOD!

Plus, Saturday here, and I slept in before drinking coffee in bed :-) great start to my weekend.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »
I went to the local book superstore and was amused to note that the religion/Pope section was more extensive than the fiction section.

Thornto_zqa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2015, 04:10:21 AM »
Appreciation, love and care.

SemiFruggal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
I saw an oriole on the way to work.  I haven't seen one in several years.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
Physiotherapy is working!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2015, 08:25:27 AM »
I woke up this morning and in my groggy state I heard on the radio that traffic was going to be bad on the way to work due to an accident and major road closure. I take the bus, so it's not a huge deal, but annoying. Then I woke up more and remembered I had planned on starting to bike to work today. Yay.

As I was riding down the pathway, watching the traffic backing up a fox ran across the path in front of me. Close enough to startle me, but not close enough to hit the brakes. I've never seen a fox that close before. They aren't that common here. Saw two geese with 4 little goslings too, but not near the fox.

Peaceful ride. 25 min to work. Bum hurts and legs are slightly wobbly, but a good first ride. I can already tell I have more energy at work this morning than usual.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
Sunrise and a minor hummingbird war this morning, and now a red-tailed hawk who is very annoyed with me (judging by the way he's yelling at me) in a big hickory about 40 feet away.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Found 3 free fancypants Bodum glasses in a free box at church.

http://www.bodum.com/ca/en-us/shop/detail/10483-10/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:40:39 PM by 1967mama »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »
Realising that despite not having a tub of lunch food to bring in to work, I had plenty of bits and pieces to bring in so I'll be well fed all day and not have to resort to the mediocre cafe here.

Found 3 free fancypants Bodum glasses in a free box at church.

http://www.bodum.com/ca/en-us/shop/detail/10483-10/

I have similar ones. Mine are more like stemless wine glasses. They're amazing. Recieved them as a gift and use them all the time.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
I took a 15 minute non-smoke break and went and sat outside on a bench on the riverwalk.  As I sat there in quiet contemplation, a mother duck led her 7 babies across the river, and I watched them paddle their little webbed feet like crazy to keep up in her wake.  In the busy-ness of downtown (and between storm clouds), it was heartening to watch that.  Made the day a bit more bearable.  Thank you Mrs Duck.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
Got engaged :D technically it happened yesterday, but less than 24 hours ago, and it's why I'm walking around looking like such a smug motherfucker today, so... I'm counting it.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »
Congrats, HappierAtHome! That's fabulous news. Best wishes for a very long, happy, and healthy life together.

Things have been pretty bleak here and just getting up and facing the day has been rough for a few months. But we had the kids' parent teacher end of year conferences today, and I was really moved by how wonderful all of the teachers are. Truly special people.

And then I learned that my friend actually knows a great deal about a disease in which there is minimal/almost non-existent research, but which is shaping our lives quite a bit right now. She gave me the tools that I needed to be able to formulate questions for doctors/researchers, and it was the jolt that I needed. I am so thankful that the right people just seem to show up at the right times.

terarym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:12 AM »
After wandering for many years, I had a home loan approved this morning.  Closing on Monday. I'm going home.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »
Saw a post on my 23 year-old daughter's Facebook page yesterday from a friend of hers asking if her mom (me) takes kids to Washington, D.C. every year?  She said she saw my picture on my daughter's timeline and she would almost swear I was her tour leader back in 2005.

My 21-year old son saw the post and chimed in that yes, their mom (me) does take kids to D.C. every year so I would definitely have been her tour leader. 

She responded and said that even though she lost her purse on the trip, along with her money, ID, meal vouchers and souvenirs, I still made it the best trip of her life and she still tells stories about the things I did and said on the trip.  :) 

That was too cool.  I've taken over 1,100 kids to DC in the last 16 years and this coming trip (2 weeks from Friday) will be my last before we RE the end of July.  Nice to know I've had an impact on so many. :)  That made my day!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
Ate the season's first ripe blackberries straight off the canes today. I pushed it yesterday and  ate a couple, but I should've been more patient. Today, they were perfect.

Late edit to correct ipad correction
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:31:55 AM by Rural »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2015, 11:48:11 PM »
Ran the numbers and we can well and truly afford to put an offer in on the house we want!

Now we just need to get over the nerves and decide to go ahead and do it...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2015, 02:22:49 AM »
Reading a really good book ... and my husband took the kids out for ice cream and a walk tonight (75 cent kid cones) so I could read and drink my tea. He's such a gem <3

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2015, 06:32:19 AM »

hey, this is me.

i regularly feed the squirrels in my trees, so much so that sometimes they'll be waiting on my fence when i come home
i know loys of people just consider squirrels as fuury disease carrying rats, but the heck with that; i dont invite them in the house and most little kids that walk by think its neat to see a bunch of squirrels.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2015, 06:15:27 AM »
I woke up this morning and in my groggy state I heard on the radio that traffic was going to be bad on the way to work due to an accident and major road closure. I take the bus, so it's not a huge deal, but annoying. Then I woke up more and remembered I had planned on starting to bike to work today. Yay.

As I was riding down the pathway, watching the traffic backing up a fox ran across the path in front of me. Close enough to startle me, but not close enough to hit the brakes. I've never seen a fox that close before. They aren't that common here. Saw two geese with 4 little goslings too, but not near the fox.

Peaceful ride. 25 min to work. Bum hurts and legs are slightly wobbly, but a good first ride. I can already tell I have more energy at work this morning than usual.

Bikes are so quiet and move so quickly that you often come across animals on paths, especially early in the morning before other people have scared them off.  I like to think of cycling as 'land canoeing' for that reason.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Cool air on my skin made my day :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Today, I watched birds play in a fountain. Never fails to make me smile.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2015, 04:40:45 AM »
Bought my dream house :D

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2015, 07:01:14 AM »
Bought my dream house :D

Woo! Is that the reason for your screen name?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!