Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263958 times)

fields

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
Twenty turkeys roosting in trees in back of house, occasionally swooping down into the snow banks to eat the spilled birdfood under the feeders. 

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2015, 07:28:16 PM »
Husband sleeps later than I so I often have to go back in later in the morning to make the bed which he helps with.   Today my youngest son snuck in and made it for us while we were in the kitchen. 

Jenny Wren singing on my woodpile.

Most days it's watching the chipmunks and birds in the yard.  Birdseed & suet are some of the last things I would cut from our budget as the Hubs and I get such a kick out of watching them.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2015, 12:10:08 AM »
Yesterday: feedbooks.com/publicdomain. Recommended on the 50 Books gauntlet thread.

Today: a bread tasting session with my team. I brought in some homemade bread and toasted it, we all gathered round and had a piece. Tomorrow my manager is bringing in her version of the same recipe. Awesome stuff :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2015, 01:39:45 AM »
Heart to heart just now with my 14 year old son who was sobbing in the bathroom.

He has been feeling depressed for about the last 2 weeks and doesn't know why. We hashed over all the key areas of his life, developed some solutions together, and feel like we have a plan.

For tomorrow, he is going to wake up when he wakes up (its already 12:30AM) and then we are going to go over his school assignments together in the afternoon (we homeschool but he does some online school courses). That's it for the day! He is really looking forward to his floor hockey game tomorrow night at church!

So glad we could talk so openly and although my heart is hurting for him, I'm so delighted that he will share so much with me.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2015, 06:09:03 AM »
It's been freezing and slightly thawing for the last several days/nights, and as a result we have an area of our driveway about 50 feet by 50 feet that's a smooth sheet of ice.  I went "skating" yesterday in my slippers, so fun!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »
I'm kinda glad that I don't obsess much about "money stuff" any more. But I did find out today that my wife would be receiving an unusually large bonus this year - and when I realized that it would equate to about half a years spending for us I felt a little bit of a thrill despite myself. I have expressed a bit of frustration with my wife's insistence on continuing to work - but this is definitely is one of the positives.

We are as frugal as they come, but I think it may be time to "treat ourselves". Going to start making a list of "wants"...though, come to think of it there are some borderline "needs" too...new computer for one - 7 year old PC cannot handle hd video editing - it chugs heroically in the attempt...but no.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:05:19 AM by Jon_Snow »

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
At the P.O. and a golden lab was just walking along when he fell in the grass and sunshine and happily rolled and rolled!  He soooooo seemed to be enjoying himself that I stopped and enjoyed watching him doing it for a few minutes before returning to my car & the rest of my errands. 

Oh to be ready for a joyful roll in the grass at a moment's notice!

Walking, walking, sweet spot, rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, scratch, rolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!  Ecstasy!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »
Heart to heart just now with my 14 year old son who was sobbing in the bathroom.

He has been feeling depressed for about the last 2 weeks and doesn't know why. We hashed over all the key areas of his life, developed some solutions together, and feel like we have a plan.

For tomorrow, he is going to wake up when he wakes up (its already 12:30AM) and then we are going to go over his school assignments together in the afternoon (we homeschool but he does some online school courses). That's it for the day! He is really looking forward to his floor hockey game tomorrow night at church!

So glad we could talk so openly and although my heart is hurting for him, I'm so delighted that he will share so much with me.

Yep--that is great that he was able to share his feeling with you.  I hope for the best for him!

Nancy

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2015, 08:41:08 AM »
Free apple at the office after a wonderful bike ride in: bike lanes cleared of snow/sun shining. Life is wonderful when free fruit is involved.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
I hope for the best for him!

Thanks, NinetyFour!

He's doing SO much better. We did go off budget to buy him (and his brother-roommate) each a new bed. The ones they were sleeping on were atrocious! When we took the old ones down to the garage, both of the box springs had broken wood pieces in the frames. This is a 215 lb, 6ft 1inch 14 year old. We got them both a double bed so they can sleep sideways. The room is pretty squishy now, but an adult child is moving out in May, so we will have these two in their own rooms at that point. He was seriously lacking sleep from both the discomfort of the bed and the creaking of his brother's bed every time he shifted in the night.

Getting outside for some fresh air and exercise and sunshine is helping too. He's a good kid and really just feels the weight of the world on his shoulders sometimes. I'm checking in with him a few times, daily still at this point. Glad to see him laughing and smiling again!

Your comment on "What small things did you do to save money today?" made my day today!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
Gasp!  So you were on a spending spree!!

Just kidding--sounds like the new beds were much needed.  Very glad to hear that your son is laughing and smiling again!

Also glad that my jokey comment on the other thread (where you constantly inspire the rest of us!!) made your day!!  :D

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
He's doing SO much better.

I'm with NinetyFour, it's great that he's feeling better!

This will probably make everyone east of the rockies angry, but what's been making my days lately is the smell of citrus blooms here in SoCal. It's springy and sweet and makes me smile as I'm riding to work, and glad that I did choose to move with my advisor in spite of the hurdles we've encountered...but nothing about that here. ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2015, 11:21:14 PM »
What made my day?

It's my birthday. And I had the day off :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2015, 01:42:53 AM »
What made my day?

It's my birthday. And I had the day off :)

Happy birthday Marty!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 02:17:19 AM »
I was walking home from work at dusk and saw a large bird fly to and land in a leafless tree.  I thought it was either a hawk (out kind of late) or an owl.  Sure enough, I saw the "horns" and then I heard its telltale call.  It was a Great-Horned Owl.  I absolutely love seeing these birds.  I stopped and watched and listened to it while all the clown car drivers raced by.  Made my day.

If you love birds so much, maybe you enjoy this as much as I do: http://www.beleefdelente.nl/ It's a Dutch site where you can watch different kind of birds on their nests. The church owls are so cute, they often sit together, both one eye open, one eye closed, on one leg.... I think it's very adorable :)

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2015, 02:57:34 AM »
1) Watched Ricardo Semler's Radical Wisdom TED talk - highly recommended
2) Went for an evening walk around the neighbourhood with my mother
3) Finished knitting another patch for the blanet I've nearly finished

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2015, 06:47:43 AM »
I was walking home from work at dusk and saw a large bird fly to and land in a leafless tree.  I thought it was either a hawk (out kind of late) or an owl.  Sure enough, I saw the "horns" and then I heard its telltale call.  It was a Great-Horned Owl.  I absolutely love seeing these birds.  I stopped and watched and listened to it while all the clown car drivers raced by.  Made my day.

If you love birds so much, maybe you enjoy this as much as I do: http://www.beleefdelente.nl/ It's a Dutch site where you can watch different kind of birds on their nests. The church owls are so cute, they often sit together, both one eye open, one eye closed, on one leg.... I think it's very adorable :)

Yes--I do love birds!  Thanks for the link to that site--yes, those church owls are fascinating!!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Went hiking in the rain yesterday. :D Friend invited us to join her for a hiking meetup. Then we decided the meetup was too early and we'd go by ourselves 1-2 hr later. Then the meetup was cancelled but we went anyway. It was gorgeous.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »
Just found out my wife's bonus is much larger than anticipated. We are pretty stunned about this.

This could change a lot of things in terms of our plans in the next year or two. Holy s***. We are breaking tradition and having wine tonight, a Monday, instead of our usual Friday night. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:11 PM »
One of the big(ger) bosses said he's happy for me to choose 'the maths of early retirement' as my subject for an upcoming mandatory five minute presentation to my directorate :-)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
I hadn't seen this thread before! I like it.

What made my day yesterday was hearing that one of my favorite teachers from high school, who went through a nasty divorce ~7 years ago, has gotten engaged to a really nice guy. She posted on facebook after the announcement: "Thank you, dear friends, for your sweet messages. I am more fortunate than I ever dreamed I might be. I have three amazing kids, and a job I love. Then to find true love, at my age, or ever really, is a gift far beyond my capacity for words." Warm fuzzies all around :)

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
Something that makes my day almost every day is the bedtime ritual with our son. My husband brings him upstairs to go to bed, but before he goes to sleep, I become a "bite monster" that tries to catch them ;) And then our son starts screaming and laughing. But he starts to recognize this moments and now he already starts giggeling when I stand up after dinner ;) It's a great moment for all of us.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
I made my whole 2.6 mi commute today, through 4 lights, 4 (is it 5?) stop signs, and one unmarked crossing without ever taking my feet off the pedals (stopped but didn't wait at the stop signs so I could keep my balance). Making it through one of the lights (across a major arterial) and the unmarked crossing were particularly unusual. :)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »
First orange blossoms of the season are emerging here.  Passed a few orange trees on my walk today..one of the most heavenly scents in the world!  Made my day :)

SK Joyous

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
This thread is making my day! :)

Homemade cinnamon buns on a cold Saskatchewan winter day - nomnomnom

The sun is out!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »
Running errands with my 3 youngest boys :-) Lots of happy chatter!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:38 AM »
One of my biggest stock holdings (a big Canadian bank) raised it's dividend this morning. My income continues to rise even though I no longer work!

Minimali

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »
I just arrived at my parents house for a long weekend of visiting friends and relatives where I grew up.

Spent the last hour with Mum and Dad playing and getting really bloody competitive over dominoes.

It's good to be back for a few days.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Today I started back at my old office and my commute was just under 25 min, vs the 45+ min at the office where I just finished a one year rotation. I was smiling the whole way!

The two hour delay thanks to the DC ice storm was a nice bonus, too.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2015, 12:10:16 AM »
21 year old son offered to wash the outside and detail clean the inside of MY car!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
Offered a gift: most of my accounts to my wonderful assistant so I can go back to working part time.

Tried to ride my new bike. It was messy, but I'm sure I was grinning most of the time.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
My puppy, who partially tore his ACL last Friday, has been off pain meds for an entire day now and is NOT limping!  We might be avoiding surgery (for now at least!) :D  He has a follow up appt with the vet on Monday evening so hopefully this situation will make my day tomorrow too :) 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »
Making my 92 year old friend smile.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
I am making cookies today! I love cookies!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:41 AM »
I went to an indoor playground with my son and it was legendary :P It was very quiet there, so we had the whole playground to ourselves. So we went on the bouncing castle and on the trampolines and we even climbed to the highest point of the bouncing castle (a bouncing slide) and went of it together. We had a great time :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2015, 07:20:31 AM »

I love cookies too! What kind of cookies did you bake?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »

I love cookies too! What kind of cookies did you bake?

I made dough for:
chocolate chip cookies (with almonds), and
Peanut butter cookies (crunchy peanut butter).

I baked a few last night, I really don't control myself well around cookies! Especially warm chocolate chip cookies. The dough is in the fridge, so I can bake some anytime. I will likely form these, freeze, and the store for baking later.
Supposedly, more flavors develop if you let the chocolate chip cookie dough chill in the fridge for a couple of days. I also put about a tablespoon of espresso powder in the double batch, hope to enhance the flavor a little, and did 2/3 brown sugar to 1/3 white sugar.
I will make a few more tonight for dessert.

Thinking of sandwiching the peanut butter cookies with Nutella.

COOKIES!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »
DH got an amazing job offer today, I'm so proud of him and all his hard work that has led to this!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »
I love this thread! 

Today was so sunny I sat in the sun for ten minutes and realised how light deprived I have been without knowing it.  What a joy to feel so warm.

My DH just found out about an unexpected dividend payment-yay!

Getting clear results from the doctor after a major test.

Enjoying the light in the evening- I was grumbling about DST yesterday but now I am loving it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
Thawed out enough that the kids got their scooters out and I made a map of the property to plan this year's garden. There's grass visible!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2015, 12:27:23 AM »
My husband called mid-day (from his cubicle..sigh) to ask my opinion on a major issue that he had to make a decision on by the end of the work day.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
The Conservative Party of Canada called me to ask if I would support Stephen Harper in the upcoming federal election.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
A lovely hot fire!
Lots of doggie cuddles.
Accomplishing many things on my list.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
It's FRIDAY! 'Nuff said.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
The lady at the bank showed me my credit rating info and said it was the highest rating she'd seen.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
Sushi with my family ;-)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2015, 05:55:31 AM »
Seeing how much the tilth of my soil has progressed in just one year. From nearly pure clay to something much, much better.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2015, 08:58:48 AM »
Today marks the 6 month anniversary of my new, FIRE'd life - to say that this has been the happiest time of my adult life would be a MASSIVE understatement.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
Apple pie straight from the oven :-)  Also some good decluttering happened today and yesterday.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
My day today suddenly cleared and I have time to relax, surf the web, and feel no pressure to be with others.