Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263963 times)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #750 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:35 AM »
My newly planted fig, pomegranate, and avocado trees!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #751 on: April 18, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
Being told by our OB that the baby is still 100% perfect and that our ultrasound was the best one she'd seen all day.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #752 on: April 20, 2017, 05:26:41 AM »
Pink sunrise sky outside my window.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #753 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
Sleep

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #754 on: May 13, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
My daughter kissing me and saying ''love you''

This

Supporting a great local bakery - picked up a Mother's day cake today knowing that I am supporting a local business and the funds will stay in the community.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #755 on: May 13, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »
Bought this old Apple 23in monitor at yard sale for $25 this morning. Took a gamble that it still works fine. Took it home, wipe it clean, and yay it is working great. It is a cheap upgrade from my 20in monitor for my workstation - I work from home, and size does matter :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:47:53 PM by sequoia »

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #756 on: May 14, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
Finding out that my husband gets to grow his beard back! Work policy changed to allow beards. He looks fine enough without a beard, but with a beard...hot damn!

Badblackgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #757 on: May 14, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Hubby and kids made me Mother's Day brunch .  They are now making a "confetti " cake to celebrate after dinner and the sun is shining bright . Doesn't get much better than this.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: May 16, 2017, 02:47:29 AM »
My brother-in-law texted me with a financial question. I was happy.

Then he called me and we talked money for about half an hour. I was really happy.

Then he texted me tonight to ask if I know his super account number (I do because I helped him roll over his accounts last year).

He wanted to download the super app to keep an eye on his account. I was delighted.

We keep texting, he tells me he wants to get his spending in order so he can set himself up. I mention MMM, he seems interested.

I am freaking ecstatic.

I actually think BiL will embrace the merits of FIRE before my husband (his brother).

My husband loves his job, and everyone we know agrees he has the best job in the world.

But BiL works a physical job, is often away from home in less than ideal conditions, and loves his life outside of work - surfing, gym, motorbike trips, being with friends and family. He generally makes good money, but he is spendy when it comes to eating out, clothes and hobbies. He will never go full ERE, but I can definitely see him giving up a few wants now for financial independence later.

Very, very excited about this development!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: May 17, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
Robert Mueller was named as special prosecutor.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #760 on: May 18, 2017, 01:49:16 AM »
DH and I went to Costco together tonight and stuck to our grocery list. No non-food items went home with us.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: May 21, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Marty messaged me from South Africa. He's been away for a couple of weeks but contacts me whenever he finds wifi.

He sent some pics, looking all bright-eyed and bushy... faced. Hasn't shaved since he left! :D :D :D

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #762 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
I read that as Marty was searching the globe for wi-fi and mapping it out and messaging you the details for some database. Sort of like "wardriving" on a global scale. ;)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: May 26, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »
Marty made it back safe and sound.

Have a 1000 pics but since this forum isn't great with uploading lots of attachments I'll just post one of them here...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: May 26, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
Snuggling with my tiny baby.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #765 on: May 27, 2017, 12:54:46 AM »
Marty made it back safe and sound.

Have a 1000 pics but since this forum isn't great with uploading lots of attachments I'll just post one of them here...

That made my day, too!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #766 on: May 27, 2017, 01:10:13 AM »
Snuggling with my tiny baby.

Congratulations Happier

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #767 on: May 27, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #768 on: May 27, 2017, 06:23:24 AM »
Went to the zoo with our 10 month old granddaughter, who's visiting from far away. She especially loved the giraffes. Not as good as seeing them in the wild as Marty did, but exciting for her. We got a kick out of watching her chortle with delight.

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy, HappieratHome!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #769 on: May 27, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »
I really liked this silhouette one.... if you look closely, you can even see eyelashes!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #770 on: May 27, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
I really liked this silhouette one.... if you look closely, you can even see eyelashes!

Very cool! Excellent photo. Print large, mount and frame that one!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #771 on: May 27, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
Congratulations on your new bundle of joy, HappieratHome!

Thanks Dicey :-)

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #772 on: May 27, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
At a gas station this morning, I overheard a man and a young boy having a very serious discussion about picking out a donut. Besides the choice of getting the donuts at a gas station, it was a wonderful moment.

The little boy had plenty of time to choose and discuss his thinking.
The man was advising not to pick one just because it was bigger, that "better" was more important than size.
The man offered to pick a different one and share if the boy wasn't fully satisfied with his.
The boy was obviously comfortable with this process and basically sitting in the guy's lap while having the discussion.

Really heartwarming to witness.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #773 on: June 12, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
Picked the first peas today =) First year in our new house, loving how this garden is coming along!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
I had a really good yoga class with friends.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: June 16, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »
Sitting in my deck snowing the sea air made my day.

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: June 27, 2017, 05:14:24 AM »
Simple things make me happy these day. Of course, just the knowledge I'm ER'ed now gives me an ever present glow of contentment. But this morning I feel especially blessed. I'm sipping a good cup of coffee, wrapped up in a comfy blanket watching the stock market open and local morning news while a cold rain falls outside - the local traffic helicopter has all sorts of shots showing morning rush hour mayhem. That used to be my reality.

My heart just physically ached

doublethinkmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #777 on: June 27, 2017, 05:37:41 AM »
Simple things make me happy these day. Of course, just the knowledge I'm ER'ed now gives me an ever present glow of contentment. But this morning I feel especially blessed. I'm sipping a good cup of coffee, wrapped up in a comfy blanket watching the stock market open and local morning news while a cold rain falls outside - the local traffic helicopter has all sorts of shots showing morning rush hour mayhem. That used to be my reality.

My heart just physically ached
I couldn't find the original post but this is what I want. To enjoy coffee, mornings and the simple comforts without the stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #778 on: June 27, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
Picked my daughter up yesterday from a summer art camp at the art museum. I knew she was scared not knowing anyone in there. She was nothing but smiles and talked my ear off about how beautiful the art museum building was and how much fun she had. She was excited to go again today. 

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #779 on: June 27, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
My wife and I started my three year old daughter's allowance today because she had started to ask for things from the grocery store while Mommy and her were shopping. We gave her four quarters and explained she had to save 50%, but the other 50% she could spend as she wanted. My daughter immediately wanted to put all the quarters into her coin hoard, but we had to laughingly remind her if she put all her money into savings there would be nothing for her to take to the grocery store.

She protected those two remaining quarters the entire time I was home for lunch and was very excited as she was going to buy a honey stick at the store.

After coming home this evening I found out my daughter bought the honey stick herself, put the remaining quarter in her hoard, and saved the remaining change for the next trip to the store. A 75% savings rate on her first week of allowance. My daughter made my day.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #780 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:19 PM »
Support from my MIL on a tricky mothering issue. She's the best.

A 75% savings rate on her first week of allowance. My daughter made my day.

Better than a lot of mustachians, even!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #781 on: June 28, 2017, 04:47:19 AM »
A terrific nurse practitioner really helped my dad when he was in the hospital recently.  She took the time to truly listen to him, diagnosed the problem he was having, and was able to fix it.  This was a condition that would have had dire consequences if not corrected.  At least three physicians had missed it, possibly due to the time pressures they face.   She gave my dad old-fashioned, high quality, kind medical care.  I'll be forever grateful.     

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #782 on: June 28, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
A 75% savings rate on her first week of allowance. My daughter made my day.

Better than a lot of mustachians, even!

Better than me, too!

Edit: Formatting
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:07:19 AM by Stoic on FIRE »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: June 29, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
I changed the wallpaper on my phone.

Such a tiny thing but I changed it from a white, minimalist illustration to a sunset photo of one of my favourite places in the world, and it makes me feel warm and happy.

I've also disabled some notifications to reduce the number of times I pick up my phone each day.

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #784 on: June 29, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
I was wrapping up my workday when I began talking to a newly minted engineer who had just joined my workplace permanently this past week. He made mention he was getting married in October and wanted to get his financial house in order prior to the big day. When I started asking him if he had student loans, retirement accounts, and such he was a bit bewildered and not familiar with mutual funds or most financial terms. However, he was earnest in wanting more information to set up his savings. His enthusiasm to get started saving and how he lit up when he was talking about his future with his fiance made my day. His attitude was infectious. I came home and told my wife and daughter how much I loved them.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #785 on: June 30, 2017, 04:17:33 AM »
One of our hens has young chicks.  They are beautiful, and I love watching them roam around in the field with their mama after I let them out in the morning. 

abner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #786 on: July 03, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »
I fixed my air compressor today after a month of trying to figure out what was wrong!

This is one I bought over 5 years ago for basically parts because owner said it wouldn't run. Got it for cheap.
I brought it home, plugged it in and it worked.

This is also an integral part of a major side hustle business I have so I contemplated buying a new one.

I like to think I am a good mechanic but this dilemma had me questioning my abilities.
Not anymore!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #787 on: July 09, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »
A wonderful sermon at church this morning made my day.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:12 AM »
I changed the wallpaper on my phone.

Such a tiny thing but I changed it from a white, minimalist illustration to a sunset photo of one of my favourite places in the world, and it makes me feel warm and happy.

I've also disabled some notifications to reduce the number of times I pick up my phone each day.

It's been just over a week later and I am happy to report back that I've been checking my phone much less frequently.

Changing my notifications plus being away, distracted, and driving for long distances meant I was going several hours without checking my phone (very unusual in my line of work).

Back in the office tomorrow, and I'm hopeful this healthier level of connectivity continues.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #789 on: July 27, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Last Saturday was the last game for the 6-7 yr old basketball. There was a little boy in my son's team who was the smallest, shortest kid that could barely play ball compare to the rest of the team. This kid seldom touch the ball in the game, and the coach usually tell the other kids to let him bring the ball up from one end to the other end just so he actually touch the ball during the game.

Anyway, the team was on offense and someone passed the ball to him. Usually he either pass it to someone else, or the ball got stolen by the other team. But not this time. He was probably thinking last game of the season, I got nothing to lose lol. He took aim, shot the ball, and he scored!! OMG it was like the team won NBA championship! Everyone was cheering loudly and so happy this little kid scored. It was his only score, but what a perfect way to end the season.

That made my day and I am still smiling days later when I remember that.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: July 29, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Someone in a Facebook group posted they had sour cherries on their tree for free if anyone wanted to come pick them. Went and got a small pail full in about 5-10 min. Now I just need to find a good recipe that doesn't involve heaps of sugar

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #791 on: July 29, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »
The moderators made new subforums for Australians, Poms and Canadians.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #792 on: July 30, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
The moderators made new subforums for Australians, Poms and Canadians.

Yay! I don't even understand all the US stuff that actually applies to me, but at least it's there as a resource. Y'all needed a specific spot for your relevant info.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #793 on: July 30, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #794 on: July 30, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
Sitting in the shade of a big tree with a great view of Lake Champlain, reading a good book on an absolutely perfect summer day in Vermont.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #795 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:13 AM »
Actually got cool enough overnight to open windows and get in some fresh air. Must be in the low 70s out there, maybe even high 60s.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #796 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:31 AM »

Right back atcha, Mr. Snow.  THANK YOU.  :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #797 on: August 05, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
Hanging out with super cool mustachians this morning :D

Right back atcha, Mr. Snow.  THANK YOU.  :)

:-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: August 06, 2017, 01:05:37 AM »

For me, too.

Marty coming over for dinner every week or two has become the unofficial Sydney meet-up. :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #799 on: August 06, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »

For me, too.

Marty coming over for dinner every week or two has become the unofficial Sydney meet-up. :D

Can you 'ship' a friendship? Because I love your friendship, or at least how it plays out on various threads :-P