Author Topic: What made your day?  (Read 263972 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: What made your day?
« Reply #450 on: February 14, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »
Newbie at work has started coming to me for the knowledge transfer he needs because "you're always helpful and make me feel okay about not knowing anything yet". Definitely made my day!!

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #451 on: February 18, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »

Bought a pack of Magic cards (like 4 bucks) for my sick husband. Pulled a Jace, Vryn's prodigy.

Turns out he was worth some money. Ao we got some extra cash. Aw yeah.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/magic-origins/jace-vryns-prodigy

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:22:50 AM by EverCurious »

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #452 on: March 06, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »

Bought a pack of Magic cards (like 4 bucks) for my sick husband. Pulled a Jace, Vryn's prodigy.

Turns out he was worth some money. Ao we got some extra cash. Aw yeah.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/magic-origins/jace-vryns-prodigy

The odds of that...That would make my day, too!

Mine was biking in to work today. Yeah, I know, it's a Sunday, but 1.5x time right to the FIRE fund? Bring it! Also, it was an awesome, sunny ride.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #453 on: March 07, 2016, 06:10:48 AM »
Totally lazy day where I did not have to achieve anything :-) rare and wonderful.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »
Rode my bike into work and sucked down a free Starbucks.
That's a good start to ANY day. Even when I go FI/RE, I might to it for the heck of it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #455 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »
Got an email saying I have a free starbucks waiting for my birthday. I haven't even GOTTEN the drink yet, but just knowing I will GET TO is exciting. Absence makes the heart grow fonder! I enjoy my fancy coffees so much more now that I have them far less. Funny how that works.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #456 on: June 01, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
Today, I set up my will, a health directive (living will) and a power of attorney.  It feels so good to have this organized so my kids will have a smoother time of it and my wishes will be known.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #457 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »
I'm in the process of setting up a side-gig to sell my handcrafted widgets. Co-worker recently bought a similar-ish handcrafted widget while on vacation and brought in the packaging for me to look at because she thought it would give me good ideas. It did. And, it tickled me that she thought of it.

GoldenGrove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: June 02, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
Thought I was going to have to pay around $3,000 for grad school tuition/fees this fall. Turns out I'll be paying about $160!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »
I just upped my 401(k) contributions to 50% of my paycheck. (Which still won't max it out this year... learn what you will about my earnings, lol!). It is both terrifying and exciting.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Had a productive meeting this morning with a collaborator who is sometimes not easy to work with.

Got to spend the afternoon doing a really interesting research project.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
I was approached by a female the other day and she said:
"I need a STUD in my life. I have the STD and all I need is U."

it really did crack me up

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: June 04, 2016, 05:03:41 PM »
Had two close friends over for crochet, baked goods and gossip - absolutely lovely afternoon and cost me close to nothing ;-)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #463 on: June 04, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »
I was approached by a female the other day and she said:
"I need a STUD in my life. I have the STD and all I need is U."

it really did crack me up

That is funny - good shock value, nice and repulsive / disgusting once it sinks in, and a pun.

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #464 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
My Ting balance is $15 with 11 days to go this month.

I've never had such a low cellphone bill.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:18:29 AM by Cellista »

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #465 on: June 13, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »
Backcountry skiing at Mt. Rainier this weekend - 5,000 ft, 15 miles, home for dinner.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: June 13, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
Found a cut-through route on the way to work that will be helpful in case of major wrecks blocking the highway (the highway is two lanes, one each direction). It's shorter, too but definitely not faster since several miles of it are unpaved. Pretty drive, though. I had a sense that the road was there but didn't realize it still goes all the way through, and it may not in another decade.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
Getting a whole truck load of boxed up clothing and books as well as a dresser, off to the thrift store!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
I was asked for directions on the NYC subway today.  #nolongeratourist  :P

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
I needed a blouse of a particular kind for a theater production I'm involved in. Found what I needed online but had to guess at the size because the size I wear ordinarily was three sizes smaller than what they claimed based on my measurements. Nailed it with the first try!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2016, 06:25:37 PM »
Going through old photos on the computer.  Before kids, DW and I had a lot of fun!  It's fun with kids, too, but different, ya know?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: July 16, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
Met my new nephew for the first time. He's gorgeous.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: July 17, 2016, 03:24:38 AM »
Met my new nephew for the first time. He's gorgeous.

Congratulations. :)

It made my day to Facetime my nephews today.

The little one isn't up to talking on the phone just yet but he likes to hold it and look at me, and giggles so sweetly when I blow him kisses.

My husband says he sounds like a 'laughing baby' sound clip for a movie.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2016, 11:53:42 PM »
Hauled a load to the recycling center, weeded the yard, cleaned the garage, mowed the lawn, rotated the tires, played with my kids, talked with DW. Didn't cost anything.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #474 on: July 18, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »
Raised $3615 for the library this weekend at our quarterly Frend's Book Sale. The last two sales' results were rather lackluster, so I had a new idea to promote our sale. We decided to give every grownup a free book and two books for every kid! We used books were duplicates or in categories we didn't have enough room for. We set up a pop-up in the parking lot and gave out tickets at the book sale in the library's Community Room.

For three hours, DH and I manned the booth and interacted with people in our community. So much fun! We told everyone who wanted more than one book that they could buy it for the same price as inside ($1.00 for big people books, .50 for little people books). We pulled in an extra $47.50 that we wouldn't have otherwise, and got to a great total.

I just found out the total this evening, so I'm counting it for a win today. Tired, but very happy.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #475 on: July 18, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »
I love this thread!  It has made my day.  :)  Of course, the day is young.  Hopefuly there will be more to report later.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: July 18, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
Signed a lease last night for our new, sun-drenched apartment. We move in two weeks.

Of course, telling people I'm moving is like announcing I've broken up with a guy then finding out no-one liked him.

All of a sudden I'm getting comments like 'won't it be great to get away from that old apartment?' 'Finally no more dated kitchen.'

I had no idea people felt this strongly about it! Nor do I care, really. We paid well under market value in rent for five years; that was worth any so-called hardship perceived by our family and friends.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #477 on: July 19, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
There was a screeching baby in the grocery check out so I asked the dad if I could help him bag his groceries, he said no.  So I asked if I could hold his baby and he said ok!  I picked up this precious bundle and she immediately stopped her wailing and looked around.  I don't think I've held a baby in years, OMG it was wonderful!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:36:06 PM by Cannot Wait! »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: July 19, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »
Making cinnamon buns with our young houseguest from Australia.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #479 on: July 19, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
There was a screeching baby in the grocery check out so I asked the dad if I could help him bag his groceries, he said no.  So I asked if I could hold his baby and he said ok!  I picked up this precious bundle and she immediately stopped her whaling and looked around.  I don't think I've held a baby in years, OMG it was wonderful!

I once had someone refuse to let me take her luggage off the airport carousel for her in Frankfurt. Instead, she wanted to hand me her baby! We must not fit whatever baby-stealing profile mothers have in their heads. I didn't take the baby, so I missed the great experience you had. I looked at the mother like she was crazy and took the luggage off the carousel anyway and put it down beside her. (Her hands were full and she couldn't stop me!)

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: July 19, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »
This last reply I posted reminded me a how my day was made a few years ago in Paris. I was coming from the train station to my hotel by a super express subway that had just opened. A Parisian who was helping me (yes!) had insisted I take this new train. I wanted to take a taxi but he thought that was a complete waste of money.

I had two suitcases because I was travelling for work and then going on holiday. I stood up when the train arrived, and when I did, a man grabbed the two suitcases and started to run. He ran onto the train, and I ran after him. When I had just about caught up with him, he turned around and looked at me. He was waiting for me to get on the train. He had been helping me, but I didn't recognize it because I had heard so many stories about Parisians not being helpful.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: July 20, 2016, 04:12:31 AM »
It was such a hot and airless night last night! The thing that made my day was getting up and having a shower with some lime and coconut shower gel and cooling right down.:) Simple pleasures.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »
This last reply I posted reminded me a how my day was made a few years ago in Paris. I was coming from the train station to my hotel by a super express subway that had just opened. A Parisian who was helping me (yes!) had insisted I take this new train. I wanted to take a taxi but he thought that was a complete waste of money.

I had two suitcases because I was travelling for work and then going on holiday. I stood up when the train arrived, and when I did, a man grabbed the two suitcases and started to run. He ran onto the train, and I ran after him. When I had just about caught up with him, he turned around and looked at me. He was waiting for me to get on the train. He had been helping me, but I didn't recognize it because I had heard so many stories about Parisians not being helpful.

I was waiting in line at the ticket clerk in the Rome train station many years ago. An Italian fellow spoke to me but I didn't understand as my Italian was hit or miss. Was he trying to sell me something? Was he trying to take advantage of me somehow? He had rightly guessed I was US military and we was able to get me an Italian military discount train ticket for ~$10 from Rome to Naples where I lived at the time. I found myself in a nice compartment all to myself with a/c on a hot summer day and napped much of the ride.

There truly are some nice people out there. Too bad we mostly remember the bad ones.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:43:44 AM by Mybigtoe »

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #483 on: July 30, 2016, 05:48:07 PM »
I saw a tank top with a big mustache on it for $10 at a sidewalk sale today.  I was trying to justify buying it -  but decided to take a picture instead.  The sales girl came over and mentioned that a lot of people take a picture of that specific shirt!  I told her to Google MMM to understand why.  I gave her an overview and she seemed interested.  It made my day.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #484 on: August 03, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »
I asked my library to buy JL Collins new book, "The Simple Path to Wealth" and they just emailed me to say that they did and it is on reserve for me!  Yippee!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
Great idea CannotWait!  I just checked the library here and they don't have Simple Path to Wealth yet either.  So I suggested they get a copy.

That and I'm snuggling under a warm blanket when it is cold and very rainy today...I don't have to commute anywhere...yippee!!!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2016, 10:03:54 PM »
Took my kids into the woods and played by the river for hours.  Throwing rocks, skipping rocks, climbing rocks, building cairns.  Basically, lots of playing with rocks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
Took my kids into the woods and played by the river for hours.  Throwing rocks, skipping rocks, climbing rocks, building cairns.  Basically, lots of playing with rocks.

Sounds more like a trip to a quarry rather than a forest trip.  :P

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »
I love playing in creeks and rivers! DW, kids, and the dog - and we can use up hours...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2016, 04:36:23 PM »
The smell of French bread baking in my
Kitchen!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
Just picked up the post-vacation mail. Statement* says my account balances increased by 11.7k last MONTH, due entirely to market gains. That's more than I ever earned in a single month during my entire career! I didn't have to lift a finger to earn it. Wowza!

*Yup, paper statement. That way I can only look once a month. Part of a well-balanced, low information diet.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »
 My fabulous husband finished the install on our gate, autmatic opener, and solar power, and it all works!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #492 on: August 10, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
We met our first grandbaby this past weekend.  There is nothing like holding a new baby and getting that new baby smell.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: August 10, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »
My son passed his final road test two weeks before starting university! Fully licenced driver now!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #494 on: August 19, 2016, 02:23:14 PM »
Eating my brought from home lunch on a picnic table with other likeminded co-workers.  Enjoying some good laughs and sharing stories on a sunny warm day. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #495 on: August 20, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
At a dance lesson last night, one of the other students asked if I also teach.  Progress!

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: August 20, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
When I went to the library in the city I just moved to and applied for a library card, the librarian kept looking at me intermittently while she entered my information into the computer.  She asked "Do you eat a healthy diet and take care of yourself?"  I was pretty surprised by this question, but confirmed that I eat a plant based diet and do take care of myself.  She asked the question because she computed my age from by birth date. 

That librarian made my day!

(-:

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #497 on: August 20, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
CBC is live streaming the Tragically Hip concert, that is making my evening.  ;-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #498 on: August 20, 2016, 09:59:47 PM »
A lovely and encouraging note from Scrubbyfish made my day!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #499 on: August 21, 2016, 02:11:58 AM »
Yesterday, there was a man walking a puppy in front of me. When I got abreast of them the puppy threw itself down on the grass belly-up and would not continue walking. The man and I both laughed. Then the puppy got up and hopped around my feet, looking up. I bent down to pat it, and it milled around licking my hand. It acted like this was the best thing that happened to it all day.