Author Topic: What do you believe about climate change?  (Read 63307 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: What do you believe about climate change?
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »
Well, we have no idea who else was temporarily banned.  We wouldn't, unless the person banned told us.

And if you'll notice, I did not in any way call for the ban hammer.  Please do not misunderstand.  I am glad that someone who breaks the rules (that isn't pot stirring, that is something up a few levels) is warned, and then given a chance to come back and act differently.  And in fact, I would prefer that people with differing views stick around so that there is debate here.  Makes life interesting. I was merely pointing out that my guess is MoonShadow will not heed the warning well enough to play by the rules from here on out.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
Don't fret, moonshadow, I've been banned like three times.

If no one is complaining about you, you're not really contributing.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »

That actually does make me feel better, Sol.  If you have been banned, then the bar can't be too high here.  How about you, Kris?  How many times have you been in the penalty box?

I like that, but in my experience, people complain about me regardless of the quality of my contributions.  As I have mentioned before, I'm not in a position to judge myself, so Kris may prove correct; perhaps I just rub too many people the wrong way.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
I think most corporate commitment to climate change is lip service. 

I agree that SOME of the corporate commitments are lip service.

But that's easy to spot and the ones that are serious about it are very serious.  When a company is reporting substantive, quantitative performance metrics and has publicly-stated goals, it's not lip service.

Typically, it is C-suite driven.  High-sustainability companies have a distinct operating model with board-level accountability on these issues, robust tracking and reporting on non-financial performance, and high investments in stakeholder relationships.    (Example for board-level accountability:  Ford Motor Board Committee on Corporate Governance http://corporate.ford.com/microsites/sustainability-report-2014-15/strategy-governance-board.html

They don't look or operate like their traditional peers.  They are also significantly more profitable as this 2014 study from HBS documents: http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=47307

The laggards will pay the price for their failure to stay competitive.

This.  The company I work for is also committed to sustainability.  (1) because it is a private firm, and the owners have been "green" since the late 80's and (2) they like investing in things that save them money, and end up making them more money.   

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »

So where was the CO2 coming from?  The answer is complicated, but it's from a bunch of places.  One huge source is volcanoes.  Lets just say for simplicity that this is the only source.  So volcanoes put CO2 into the atmosphere, and plants take it out.  And the various levels go up and down.  Periodically, something happens and manages to bury a massive amount of plants and other life, which eventually turns into sweet sweet fossil fuels.

My understanding was that new sources of carbon (volcanic activity, asteroids, etc) introduced into the surface environment since the Oxygen Catastrophe has been negligible.  Are you saying that my understanding is incorrect here?  I know that a lot of nitrogen in our atmosphere has come from volcanic activity, so I can accept the possibility; but as I already noted, CO2 is the low-energy stable state of carbon whenever oxygen is present, so I find it hard to believe that even burning all of the available fossil fuels (which would be awful for other reasons, particularly bituminous coal) would result in a partial-pressure concentration of CO2 anywhere near what it was before the Oxygen Catastprophe.  Granted, it was pretty hot then, and not the kind of environment complex life forms would survive; but life did evolve in that environment that eventually created the environment we presently have.  (Life creates it's own conditions, basicly)  But then, we also have a great deal of carbon sequestered in that same life all across the surface of this planet; from trees to ocean life to us humans; we would all have to be destroyed and our hydrocarbons combusted in order to get anywhere near the peak CO2 concentration.  The Earth simply doesn't have enough carbon to approach the density found on Venus, for example.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
there might be,at most, 100 people on Earth with both the access to enough actual data, and the skillset to interpret that data, that they can come to a scientificly defensible conclusion.  Exactly zero frequent this forum,

You wound me.  You don't think there are any professional climate scientists here?  I can personally guarantee you that you are mistaken.

1) The Earth is in a long term warming trend.

What do you think is "long term" in this context?  Based on natural cycles we should technically be in a cooling trend right now, which is why climate scientists in the 70s were predicting a coming global ice age.  They had figured out the solar/orbital cycles part, but not the greenhouse gasses part yet.

6) Nitrogen is also a greenhouse gas

Not so much.  Okay, not at all.

Nitrous oxides are greenhouse gasses, but they exist in tiny tiny quantities compared to CO2 and water vapor, and they cycle very quickly because they don't last long in the atmosphere before degrading to other gasses that are not greenhouse contributors.

8) Human activity has contributed to an increase in greenhouse gases into the present atmosphere, mostly via the combustion of fossil fuels; but also as a result of agriculture generally.

I think this latter observation is widely unappreciated.  Human influence on climate started thousands of years ago when we started massive burning of ecosystems to make room for farmland.  It's a relatively small contribution to burn down a forest as compared to emptying an oil reservoir, but it's more than zero.

9) Variations in the solar insolation (net amount of solar radiation), due to cycles of the Sun itself, variations in Earth's orbit that bring us closer to or farther from the Sun, and variations in the solar attenuation of the upper atmosphere also have a significant effect in the net effect of global climate changes. (See the Year Without a Summer on Wikipedia)

Yes, they have some effect, but it's generally pushing in the cooling direction right now.

a) Is #4, at 400 to 600 parts per million, a greater contributing factor than #9?

Answer:  the relative contributions of these causes are pretty well understood because they're based on chemistry and physics that we can reproduce and measure in a lab.  Results, as applied to global atmosphere, are handily presented as interactive charts at this lovely link, which everyone here should spend 20 minutes playing with to get a better idea of how these things interact.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

It clearly demonstrates the individual and combined impact on global temperatures from a variety of natural and anthropogenic factors, and then combines them all, to show the correlation with observed temperatures.

b) Is a net warming global climate actually a net negative for human life on this planet?
    1) Could #10 result in greater area of habitable land opening up in Canada, Iceland & Russia to  compensate for the loss of coastal land area due to polar ice melting?
    2) Could #10 + #11 result in an increase (rather a decrease) in forest growth and/or agriculture yields-per-acre?

Hard to know for sure, other than to say there will definitely be changes.  Change is hard, even when some places benefit while others suffer.

c) Regardless, if  #2, #3, #8 & #12 are accurate; do we even need to worry about it, since peak everything will ultimately result in the tapering off of fossil fuel emissions for economic reasons & a catastrophic 'tipping point' is impossible since all of the carbon in fossil fuels was once in the atmosphere prior to the Great Oxygen Catastrophe anyway?

Don't be misled by Great O2 Catastrophe rhetoric.  There was no multicellular life on pre-oxygenated Earth.  We don't want to go anywhere near that kind of environment again.

And you're a little misled about the Carbon cycle.  That terrarium you mentioned includes the entire planet, including the interior of the planet where most of Earth's carbon is stored.  Over long enough time scales, all of this cycling between air and trees and oceans is just rapid-turnover noise and the real cycle is about how much carbon comes out of volcanoes vs how how much is buried back in to the earth's geology by sedimentation and then plate tectonics.  There is WAY more carbon stored in rocks than anywhere else.

Fossil fuels were a slow drip of carbon out of the geological carbon cycle, siphoning off little bits of living carbon and burying it as (mostly) coal over 600 million years.  Not enough to really disrupt the longer term cycle, until we dumped it all back in at once.  Now the long term geological carbon cycle is struggling to adjust.  All that CO2 we burned into the air in an instant is dissolving into the oceans, where microbes turn it into organic matter and shells and then die and carry it to the ocean bottom where it turns back into carbonate rocks.  This is the real carbon cycle that most people don't know about, unless of course they went to college and took an introductory geology classes, which I'd wager is <5% of the US population.  Sad that one of the greatest scientific issues of our era is widely taught at every university, but almost nobody bothers to listen.

d) Is geoengineering to capture nitrogen (#6) a more effective solution than reducing human emissions, or is there just too much of it?
e) Is 'carbon capture' a viable solution?

No.  First, nitrogen isn't a greenhouse gas.  Second, technologies to capture CO2 would have to operate at the same rate as fossil fuel burning over the past 150 years, in the reverse direction, for another 150 years in order to put it all back.  Imagine every car and furnace stripping carbon out of the air and compressing into liquified CO2, then everyone driving those liquids to filling stations, and trucks and then cargo ships transporting those tankers of liquid to refineries and then pipelines transporting it to thousands of individual injection sites.  For 150 years.  Just to clean up the mess we've already made.  Burning carbon has been the primary function of the global economy since the start of the industrial revolution.

tl;dr: capture technologies aren't going to work, sorry. 

Should biomass production for industrial or construction uses be 'credited' for carbon capture in a equal or greater measure than renewable energy is credited for avoidance of net carbon emissions?

No, biomass production (like ethanol) doesn't divert any carbon from the atmosphere because the whole point is to then burn that biomass for energy, putting the carbon right into the atmosphere.  At best, it's a temporary stall tactic.

f) Is renewable energy, itself, a solution? Or is it just unrealistic without a significant reduction in global populations?

A solution to what?  To avoiding widespread coastal flooding?  Probably not.  To avoiding international conflicts over a dwindling resource primarily controlled by terrorist states?  I think so.  To reversing rising temperatures?  No way, those are definitely going up for the remainder of our lifetimes and the only open question is "how much".
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:33:20 PM by sol »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
The Earth simply doesn't have enough carbon to approach the density found on Venus, for example.

Yes it does!  More than enough.  Venus has a runaway greenhouse gas effect simply because it doesn't have plate tectonics to remove the carbon coming out of volcanoes.  Earth removes that carbon from the atmosphere and then puts it back into rocks, which are then buried back into the planetary interior by tectonic subduction.

This is fun, it's like teaching Geology101 again!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
The Earth simply doesn't have enough carbon to approach the density found on Venus, for example.

Yes it does!  More than enough.  Venus has a runaway greenhouse gas effect simply because it doesn't have plate tectonics to remove the carbon coming out of volcanoes.  Earth removes that carbon from the atmosphere and then puts it back into rocks, which are then buried back into the planetary interior by tectonic subduction.

This is fun, it's like teaching Geology101 again!

Well, I'd never heard that before, so I went a googlin'...

"The atmosphere of Venus is 90 times more dense than that on Earth and it is made of 96.5% of CO2 and a 3% of nitrogen. This means that both planets have the same amount of Nitrogen on their atmospheres. Surprinsingly the CO2 on Earth is stored on calcite type rocks and if we would convert the CO2 on these rocks into atmospheric CO2 it would amount to the same amount of CO2 that there is on Venus' atmosphere. "

And that just scares the bejesus out of me.  So if our plate tectonics fail, it's only a matter of time (a lot of time) before the Earth is Venus's twin, regardless of what humans do.  But so long as those plate tectonics continue as such, does my complaint about net available carbon still have merit?  Is there enough carbon in fossil fuels to actually exceed any past partial pressure peak?  If the answer is no, then it's still not possible for humans to cause a catastrophic feedback loop.  Furthermore, aren't calcite rocks the product of marine life?  If so, how could the failure of plate tectonics on Venus alone be the 'cause' of a runaway greenhouse effect?  Venus has almost no water in it's atmosphere, and not much evidence that it ever did.  So while I can see how plate tectonics on Earth work to sequester carbon long term, isn't this still an example of life creating it's own conditions?  If water could be introduced to Venus, could an extremophile be engineered to sequester the carbon on Venus in a similar manner?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
there might be,at most, 100 people on Earth with both the access to enough actual data, and the skillset to interpret that data, that they can come to a scientificly defensible conclusion.  Exactly zero frequent this forum,

You wound me.  You don't think there are any professional climate scientists here?  I can personally guarantee you that you are mistaken.

Well, Sol, if you are a professional climate scientist, I am sorry for the wound.  However, I know that scientists with access to all the relevant data and the skills to interpret such data are a small subset of such professionals.  My claim that the vast majority, and probably everyone, on this forum are trusting the conclusions of others; including yourself.  Now the people you are trusting, presumedly other climate scientists, might very well be correct & might be one of the hundred; but there is no way for anyone to actually know that to be so.  So no matter how you look at it, there is always some degree of faith involved.

1) The Earth is in a long term warming trend.

What do you think is "long term" in this context?  Based on natural cycles we should technically be in a cooling trend right now, which is why climate scientists in the 70s were predicting a coming global ice age. They had figured out the solar/orbital cycles part, but not the greenhouse gasses part yet.

I'm not even convinced of this.  I'm going to file this into the 'premise' category.

6) Nitrogen is also a greenhouse gas

Not so much.  Okay, not at all.

The net refractive index of nitrogen is very low at IR frequencies, this much is true, but it's not "not at all".  The intensity of solar radiation is roughly twice as intense just outside of our atmosphere as it is on the Earth's surface.  Even though the nitrogen's greenhouse effect is very low compared to CO2, it's also the vast majority of the mass in our atmosphere, so the net greenhouse effect of nitrogen is not zero; but nor do I know what it actually is.  But then, it also shouldn't matter, because nitrogen is so stable in our atmosphere that it's delta can be assumed to be zero.

9) Variations in the solar insolation (net amount of solar radiation), due to cycles of the Sun itself, variations in Earth's orbit that bring us closer to or farther from the Sun, and variations in the solar attenuation of the upper atmosphere also have a significant effect in the net effect of global climate changes. (See the Year Without a Summer on Wikipedia)

Yes, they have some effect, but it's generally pushing in the cooling direction right now.

Based upon what?  I'm not saying you are wrong here, I just don't know, and I don't know how we could know.
a) Is #4, at 400 to 600 parts per million, a greater contributing factor than #9?

Answer:  the relative contributions of these causes are pretty well understood because they're based on chemistry and physics that we can reproduce and measure in a lab.  Results, as applied to global atmosphere, are handily presented as interactive charts at this lovely link, which everyone here should spend 20 minutes playing with to get a better idea of how these things interact.

I'm sorry, Sol, but I just can't buy that statement.  I can believe that you believe that it is true, but you can't convince me of that same certainty.  I believe that the Earth is just too complex of a system, and there are way too many unknowns that we, by definition, cannot incorporate into those kinds of calculations.  This may be one reason that the climate models keep missing their mark, there is still another non-negligible factor we aren't yet considering. 

b) Is a net warming global climate actually a net negative for human life on this planet?
    1) Could #10 result in greater area of habitable land opening up in Canada, Iceland & Russia to  compensate for the loss of coastal land area due to polar ice melting?
    2) Could #10 + #11 result in an increase (rather a decrease) in forest growth and/or agriculture yields-per-acre?

Hard to know for sure, other than to say there will definitely be changes. Change is hard, even when some places benefit while others suffer.

I don't agree with this statement either.  Change is only hard when it comes faster than our abilities to adapt.  With a predicted ocean level rise of about a meter per century, I don't think this should qualify.  The ongoing existence of Venice is evidence enough of our abilities to deal with slowly changing conditions.  So long as we don't ever hit that "catastrophic tipping point" humanity can adapt.  Nature, generally, might be another question; but I'd put my money on survival.  And the idea that grapes could be grown in the Britain again doesn't sound like hardship to myself.
c) Regardless, if  #2, #3, #8 & #12 are accurate; do we even need to worry about it, since peak everything will ultimately result in the tapering off of fossil fuel emissions for economic reasons & a catastrophic 'tipping point' is impossible since all of the carbon in fossil fuels was once in the atmosphere prior to the Great Oxygen Catastrophe anyway?

Don't be misled by Great O2 Catastrophe rhetoric.  There was no multicellular life on pre-oxygenated Earth.  We don't want to go anywhere near that kind of environment again.

I know that we don't want to get close to that, but I was using it as a limiting event.  Meaning that the environmental conditions, including the average climate temp, had no meaning to us prior to the Great O2 Catastrophe; but that the high mark CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere since that time are relevant, since those were the conditions where multicellullar life actually developed.

And you're a little misled about the Carbon cycle.  That terrarium you mentioned includes the entire planet, including the interior of the planet where most of Earth's carbon is stored.  Over long enough time scales, all of this cycling between air and trees and oceans is just rapid-turnover noise and the real cycle is about how much carbon comes out of volcanoes vs how how much is buried back in to the earth's geology by sedimentation and then plate tectonics.  There is WAY more carbon stored in rocks than anywhere else.

You see, Sol.  This is why I like you.  You can actually teach me something useful.  You are the signal amongst the noise in so many contexts.

Fossil fuels were a slow drip of carbon out of the geological carbon cycle, siphoning off little bits of living carbon and burying it as (mostly) coal over 600 million years.  Not enough to really disrupt the longer term cycle, until we dumped it all back in at once.  Now the long term geological carbon cycle is struggling to adjust.

But can it adjust?  Can this doubling of CO2 concentration in the past 150 years yet result in a 'bloom' of the type of sea life that sequestered that carbon to start with?  Or is the 'slow drip' a constant rate?  I suspect that, since it's a biological form of sequestration, that the rate of sequestration isn't so fixed, and at some point is likely to accelerate in a similar manner to how plantlife growth accelerates.

Second, technologies to capture CO2 would have to operate at the same rate as fossil fuel burning over the past 150 years, in the reverse direction, for another 150 years in order to put it all back. 
Why is this necessary?  Wouldn't it be enough to simply contribute to the natural sequestration, in an effort to maintain the current 400 ppm?  Why does a sequestration technology have to be able to do the entire job itself?  What if that tech was biological, such as an engineered alge or some such?

Should biomass production for industrial or construction uses be 'credited' for carbon capture in a equal or greater measure than renewable energy is credited for avoidance of net carbon emissions?

No, biomass production (like ethanol) doesn't divert any carbon from the atmosphere because the whole point is to then burn that biomass for energy, putting the carbon right into the atmosphere.  At best, it's a temporary stall tactic.

I wasn't referring to biomass for energy production, but as construction materials; such as favoring a wood composite wallboard over gypsum drywall, or a solid/composite hardwood building block over a concrete block.  Cellulose based plastics over petroleum based plastics for consumer products.  That kind of thing.  In the long run, still a 'stall tactic' because buildings do get torn down and consumer products get thrown away; but in the long run we are all dead!

No way, those are definitely going up for the remainder of our lifetimes and the only open question is "how much".

How much is a very important question also, because the correct answer matters to whether action to avert warming is more likely to cause human suffering than doing nothing and simply letting peak everything create the natural limiting factor.  Many of the proposals that I've seen, particularly out of international NGO's, would cause enormous economic harm; particularly to those closest to the 'margins'.  The world's poor would be pushed right over that economic cliff, and it seems inhumane to me to not consider that near term human suffering as well as any potential long term human suffering in the balance.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
So if our plate tectonics fail, it's only a matter of time (a lot of time) before the Earth is Venus's twin, regardless of what humans do.

Pretty much.  Plate tectonics is ultimately responsible for life on earth.  When it stops, life here is ultimately doomed. 

But that's not really a concern.  Plate tectonics is driven by the planet's interior heat, which is driven by radioactive decay of uranium.  We have lots of uranium.  Earth's plate tectonics will last long enough for our sun to expand so much that it boils away the oceans, which is unlikely to happen anyway because before it does the Andromeda galaxy will collide with the Milky Way and gravitational interactions will probably slingshot all of our planets out into empty space, or maybe suck them into a black hole.  Hard to tell just yet, check back with me in another billion years.

Is there enough carbon in fossil fuels to actually exceed any past partial pressure peak?

Yes there is, but it's a complicated answer.  Carbon is being added by volcanic activity and removed by ocean sedimentation as described above.  Burning fossil fuels temporarily spikes atmospheric concentrations (for maybe 20 to 50 thousand years, the blink of an eye on geological time scales) but eventually the oceans will soak it all up again, ocean microbes will turn it into shells and bones, and those hard parts will sink to the bottom as the creatures die.

The problem here is that life is a vital component of that process, to get carbon out of the ocean and into rocks.  Otherwise the ocean concentration just keeps rising and then atmospheric concentrations continue to rise in equilibrium until everything is cooked.  This is the proposed mechanism for how Earth has consistently escaped its many periods of global glaciation, when every ocean on the planet was fully covered in sea ice.  That "snowball earth" condition should be a stable end-state for the planet, because all that bright white snow reflects energy away and makes the planet colder and colder over time and the oceans would never get a chance to melt without volcanoes spiking atmospheric CO2 to give us runaway greenhouse gas warming.  These are the periods people talk about when they mention how CO2 has been higher in the past than it is today.  Periods when the world was frozen over and we volcanoes took a few million years to get us back out again by building the greenhouse effect to crazy levels to overcome the white snow reflectivity effect.

So don't be distracted when people talk about how the planet has "survived higher CO2 in the past".  They're talking about conditions we don't want to ever get anywhere close to again, unless you really like planet Hoth.

Furthermore, aren't calcite rocks the product of marine life?  If so, how could the failure of plate tectonics on Venus alone be the 'cause' of a runaway greenhouse effect?  Venus has almost no water in it's atmosphere

Venus has no oceans or plate tectonics, but it does have lots of volcanoes.  Those volcanoes are constantly erupting CO2 directly into the atmosphere, causing a greenhouse effect.  No life required in that nasty process.  Just ever-building CO2 levels and ever rising temperatures, until you get so hot the Russian lander melts into a pool of liquid metal after sending back one picture.

So while I can see how plate tectonics on Earth work to sequester carbon long term, isn't this still an example of life creating it's own conditions?

Life very much creates it's own conditions, I agree.  It's just not always the same kind of life, as witnessed by the death of virtually all species on earth during the Great Oxygenation Catastrophe you mentioned upthread, in which a single species poisoned all other life on the planet.

But since then, life has been very self-supporting.  It pretty much has to be, to have lasted for two billion years.  Back in the 70s James Hanson got famous for the Gaia Hypothesis (google it for more colorful info), which was couched in a lot of hippie bullshit but basically said that a life-supporting planet is a like a living organism, a self-regulating system that maintains conditions favorable to itself in the same way your body maintains your blood pH and your internal temperature or salt balance or calorie budget.

It's kind of a circular argument, in a way.  If life wasn't a self-sustaining enterprise, it wouldn't still be here and nobody would be asking the question.  Physicists have the same problem explaining why the universe is the way it is, apparently perfectly balanced for no good reason, and the answer is just "because if it was any other way, we wouldn't be here to ask the question."  They call it the anthropomorphic principle.

If water could be introduced to Venus, could an extremophile be engineered to sequester the carbon on Venus in a similar manner?

Venus is like 800 degrees F or something because of all that CO2, so liquid water boil off.  Sorry. 

And again we're back to plate tectonics.  Plate tectonics is just the surface expression of that internal heat from radioactive decay that we talked about.  That same heat is what drives mantle convection, the relative motion of the planetary interior, which is what generates Earth's magnetic field, which is what shields us from the blasting impact of the solar wind.  No plate tectonics on Venus means no motion of the liquid iron-nickel core, which means no magnetic field, which means the solar wind scours the planet's upper atmosphere and constantly blasts lighter elements off into space.  This is the mechanism by which Venus lost all of its water, which it originally had in the same proportions as Earth.  So even if we could somehow put water back, it wouldn't stick around very long.

Mars has the same problem, made even worse by its smaller size.  Lower gravity makes it even easier to lose those light elements to space.  We'll never be able to terraform Mars with a traditional Earthlike atmosphere, at least not for very long, because everything is constantly being kicked off into space.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »

Venus is like 800 degrees F or something because of all that CO2, so liquid water boil off.  Sorry. 

I meant something that could survive closer to the top of the thick atmosphere on Venus, not the surface.  Surely there is some level that liquid water (vapor) could exist.  I don't know how the engineered extremophile could stay in that zone, though.  Internal balls of methane, perhaps?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Wow these posts are getting WAY out of control.  I hope nobody else is actually suffering through reading this book.

So no matter how you look at it, there is always some degree of faith involved.

The whole point of science is that no faith is required.  You can verify for yourself. 

We constantly recheck our results against new data to verify existing ideas and search for new ones.  Science is designed to be self-correcting, to constantly seek the right answers.  The fastest way to a Nobel Prize is to overturn a long-standing and widely-held theory, so every scientist on earth is always looking for cracks in the armor.  We're trying to prove each other wrong.

I'm not even convinced of this.  I'm going to file this into the 'premise' category.

Okay, file away.  The other great feature of science is that it is remarkably well documented.  Every month there are thousands of new peer-reviewed articles presenting the most recent findings and current understanding, and that continuous record of state-of-the-moment understanding is preserved for all posterity to see.  You can go back and read the first hand reports of discoveries throughout the 1970s as these issues were investigated and argued over and finally resolved to everyone's satisfaction. 

That history documents how humanity first figured out that Earth's climate has long varied in a repeating cycle, and we appeared to be heading (very very slowly) into another ice age.  Then a few years later the data started to show definite signals of warming, and everyone was like WTF is going on here?  Why is this happening?  More data showed the correlations between past climate cycles and other features of the planet, like the composition of the atmosphere trapped in bubbles in ancient ice cores, and we were already measuring changes in the current atmosphere.  We already conceptually understood that increasing CO2 should increase global temperatures, but at the time nobody thought we could actually change the composition of the Earth's atmosphere.  Then we started doing the math on gigatons of carbon the planet was actually burning vs gigatons of carbon being cycled by natural processes, and it was a rapidly rude awakening. 

All of these papers, unfolding over 20 years, are now publicly accessible online.  You can remain unconvinced until you go read them.

Based upon what?  I'm not saying you are wrong here, I just don't know, and I don't know how we could know.

Go check out the link I posted, it's chock full of the methodologies NASA used to publish those charts:  http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

The "how" of natural cycles is all geology.  Coastal areas have recorded cyclically rising and falling sea levels as the ice caps have raised and lowered the oceans.  Using radioactive dating of the rocks in those layers, you can time the cycles shown in the rocks.  They are the same everywhere on the planet.

The Milankovitch Cycles are natural climate variations due to wobbles in the Earth's orbit, like the way a spinning top wobbles.  They have known periods (there is more than one way to wobble) that we can now measure accurately with modern equipment like spaceborn GPS.  They line up neatly with observed cycles in the rocks.

All of these different cycles have been described and documented, along with the evidence and the contemporary debate over them, in the scientific literature.  It's good to be skeptical of claims for which you haven't seen any evidence, so I'm not trying to be critical.  I'm just saying that this evidence does exist, and every single person who has ever looked at it has agreed that is sound.  That's how science works.  We all argue with each other until we all agree on something, then we write it down and move on to arguing about something else.

I'm sorry, Sol, but I just can't buy that statement.  I can believe that you believe that it is true, but you can't convince me of that same certainty.  I believe that the Earth is just too complex of a system, and there are way too many unknowns that we, by definition, cannot incorporate into those kinds of calculations.

This isn't rocket science.  When the US military started designing heat-seeking missiles, they had to figure out how to let the missile follow a heat signature in a way that would not be obscured the obvious absorption bands of water vapor and CO2 in the atmosphere, or else the missiles wouldn't work over any significant distances.  We already knew that water vapor and CO2 blocked these wavelengths.  You can measure that yourself at home, so it's not like this is some esoteric calculation that only brainiacs can do. 

This may be one reason that the climate models keep missing their mark, there is still another non-negligible factor we aren't yet considering. 

"Climate models" is a big term encompassing lots of different things.  A model of radiative balance of the atmosphere is easy for any first year physics student to get right, and it clearly predicted global warming as early as the 1890s.  A coupled atmosphere/ocean circulation model that accounts for four billion years of shifting continents and evolving concentrations of every chemical constituent, which is something that exists, is pretty much a crapshoot and is really only useful for investigating possibilities, not simulating actual history.

So when somebody says "climate models are wrong" you need to find out what models they're really talking about.  They do different stuff, using different mathematical representations and simplifications, and they are useful in different ways. 

None of them will ever be as good as the fully 3D real world version we're running in real time, right now.  We're conducting the grandest experiment of all time, with our only home, without any understanding of what's going to happen.  Just pull the ripcord and see what happens?  Hope it turns out okay?

So long as we don't ever hit that "catastrophic tipping point" humanity can adapt.  Nature, generally, might be another question; but I'd put my money on survival.  And the idea that grapes could be grown in the Britain again doesn't sound like hardship to myself.

It's the tipping points people worry about.  I agree that gradual warming and sea level rise are very manageable.   Destabilizing the WAIS?  Not so much, unless you think 16 feet of sea level rise in ten years is manageable.  It's not really a matter of how fast it happens, when you're talking about losing half of Florida and most of Bangladesh.

And there are LOTS of these tipping points.  The WAIS is the smallest of the four global ice sheets.  Permafrost melt in the arctic is a positive feedback loop, where warming causes melting which releases methane which causes warming which causes melting...  Boreal forests and rainforests are fundamentallly necessary to global climate, but cannot just relocated to more appropriate latitudes as climate warms because there is no land at those latitudes.  Sea ice, like in a snowball earth, melts away to reveal dark water which absorbs more heat than ice-covered water, warming further and melting more ice.  Melting arctic ice change the salinity of water that drives the global ocean circulation conveyor belt, and too much ice melt reduces the density until that water stops sinking and cuts off ocean circulation, at which point we'd be well and truly fucked in an unrecoverable way. 

As much as I'd like to believe James Hanson, I see lots of positive feedback loops in our climate system that do NOT want be pushed into action.

This is why I like you.

I thought it was because of my dashing good looks.

But can it adjust?

I don't think anyone knows that for sure.  If the sudden influx is too fast, and life can't adapt slowly, we might see sudden disruption for a few thousand years until thing get stabilized again.  Like adding a bunch of CO2 to the atmosphere raises CO2 in the oceans, which lowers the pH and prevents coral reef formation, and coral reef support massive ecological diversity that regulates oceanic microbe populations, and I don't think anyone claims to understand what happens to global ocean chemistry if you just wipe out every coral reef.

There have been periods in the past where the entire global ocean went anoxic, and everything in it that breathes oxygen died.  It sorted itself back out eventually.  Just a few tens of thousands of years, a momentary flicker on a geologic time scale.

What if that tech was biological, such as an engineered alge or some such?

Now we're talking about geoengineering.  Google ocean fertilization and read about some of the unintended consequences of causing massive algae blooms in the ocean.  Yes, it totally sequesters carbon.  Then that algae dies and coats the bottom in layer of decaying much, which soaks up all of the oxygen in the water and everything there dies.  Perturbing carefully balanced ecosystems is a dangerous game. 

I wasn't referring to biomass for energy production, but as construction materials; such as favoring a wood composite wallboard over gypsum drywall

Houses are just a seasonal fungus, temporary structures that rise and fall almost too fast for earth to notice.  Wood rots instantly in air, on the scale of the global carbon cycle.  If you're going to sequester carbon, you have to do it somewhere permanent.  What pretty much means in carbonate rocks, or injecting it back into the oil domes that it came from. 

How much is a very important question also, because the correct answer matters to whether action to avert warming is more likely to cause human suffering than doing nothing

I'm of the opinion that the human suffering is already a baked in fact, and it's just a matter of when.  We'll see at least five or ten degrees of warming eventually, unavoidably, it's just a matter of whether it takes 100 or 1000 years to get there. 

I'm hoping it's more like 1000.  The more time we can buy ourselves to work on other solutions, the less suffering there will have to be.  I'm not sure I understand the argument for burning more carbon because we're unsure of how bad it's going to get.  It's going to get bad, and it's going to get worse the more you burn, so every reduction you can do now helps, at least a little.  Most of our reductions, like solar panels and electric cars, are easy to implement, economically profitable, widely available, and clearly beneficial.  Why fight those?

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »
...The whole point of science is that no faith is required.  You can verify for yourself. 

We constantly recheck our results against new data to verify existing ideas and search for new ones. ...

Here you get into a pretty complicated issue that straddles the border between science and philosophy of science.

Many of the premises of climate theory are fundamentally unverifiable, and cannot actually be "rechecked". No matter what I do in the year 2015, I cannot verify what the temperature was in 2014 or in 1995. History is generally unverifiable, and yet history is a major part of climate theory. We are required to take on faith the alleged results of days past, because those figures cannot, in the present, be tested against the past.

That having been said, the question of whether claims about history are "scientific" is a complicated question that has been addressed at length elsewhere and I don't feel like writing anything else about it here, other than to flag it for review in case sol wants to offer his personal explanation of how he deals with this very subtle issue.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:43:56 PM by Cathy »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:51 PM »
the question of whether claims about history are "scientific" is a complicated question that has been addressed at length elsewhere and I don't feel like writing anything else about it here, other than to flag it for review in case sol wants to offer his personal explanation of how he deals with this very subtle issue.

We're not talking about Napolean's motivations for wearing a funny hat.  This isn't history like in a history book, this is history as in data that were published immediately after being collected and QA/QC'd. 

I guess you can argue that all published data records are potentially falsified?  What about the ones I measured and published myself?

If science as a human enterprise was unable to use any previously acquired knowledge, we'd never be able to make any progress at all.  We'd be verifying 1+1=2 every morning just to make sure we weren't being lied to.  Seems rather ludicrous, doesn't it?

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »
Read everything. Found Sol's points more compelling. (Disclaimer: socially liberal Washingtonian; it's to be expected.) Conclusion: I should plant as many trees as I can and not otherwise worry about climate change, because beyond planting trees there isn't anything I can do anyway. Since we are probably all screwed in the long term, trees are at least nice to sit under and pick fruit from until the planet becomes inhospitable to humans. If all climate change concern is totally wrong, then hey! Trees are still awesome. Therefore - plant trees. Did I miss anything critical?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2015, 12:25:31 AM »
I'm frankly amazed the thread has continued this long. The people who have devoted their professional lives to studying this issue have pretty much unanimously agreed that climate change is indeed happening and it is indeed caused by human activity. What more needs to be said?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
Also, my impression is that it's only in America that this debate is still really going on amongst the general populace.

And abortion, gun control, gay marriage, universal healthcare....

but i digress

America is so backward. I guess you're still catching up with the rest of us.

*ducks shitstorm*

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2015, 01:00:10 AM »
Quote from: gaja link=topic=43385.msg799648#msg799648
. Keeping the entire thing populated is a political goal, so even though most live in the south, a lot is done on creating jobs and maintaining/building infrastructure all over the place.

I'd be interested to read more about this and how it's being done. Are there any articles online you would recommend? (Not a book right now .)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2015, 01:25:01 AM »
Sol/MoonShadow (sorry, I got a bit tangled up in the epic posts and can't remember which of you said this):

OK, so converting much of our 'permanent' object use (houses, plastics, etc) to biomass won't work because they will decay in a mere blip of the geological timescale. However, I can see two possible other advantages:

1. Replacing coal/oil. For every tree we burn, we leave some coal in the ground. And hopefully plant another tree before we run out. For every tree we turn into pseudo-plastic, we leave some oil in the ground. And plant another tree. Surely this makes the trees genuinely carbon neutral as long as we plant a replacement for our future needs?

2. Is the planting of the trees itself not helpful? I was interested to think about the Great Oxygenation Event. Can we do that again if we have enough plant life on the earth? I know the UK used to be mostly woodland before we started clearing it to farm, much as is happening in the rainforest today. What if we planted every spare inch of ground with trees, went over entirely to green roofs, etc? If we reforested the UK to some extent, would it make a difference?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2015, 01:25:46 AM »

So no matter how you look at it, there is always some degree of faith involved.

The whole point of science is that no faith is required.  You can verify for yourself. 

That's true in theory, but no longer true in practice.  At least not in the field of climate science.  The datasets are so large, the system being modeled so complex, and the variables so subjective that there are, realisticly, only a few hundred people in the world with the resources and skillset to do any actual science.  The rest of the field are really just reading the technical publications and checking for errors of methodology.  Everyone else is reading articles that either summarize or critique those publications.  So for the vast majority of even those who consider themselves 'evidence based' thinkers, there is always some degree of faith.

Okay, file away.  The other great feature of science is that it is remarkably well documented.  Every month there are thousands of new peer-reviewed articles presenting the most recent findings and current understanding, and that continuous record of state-of-the-moment understanding is preserved for all posterity to see.  You can go back and read the first hand reports of discoveries throughout the 1970s as these issues were investigated and argued over and finally resolved to everyone's satisfaction

And that's another point.  Consensus is anti-scientific.  It matters not at all what the scientific consensus may be at any one time, or even if it really exists.  The reality doesn't give a damn about any such thing.  The history of science is a long running series of deep thinkers presenting theories, some of which outlive their original authors, being dramaticly disproven by later theorists and scientists.  While this is also a story of progression toward a greater understanding, it is the height of arrogance to assume that now we are correct.  The scientific consensus concerning stomach ulcers were that they were caused by stress, until it was finally proven (by a 'quack' according to many among the consensus) that ulcers were caused by a persistent bacterial infection.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/h-pylori-helicobacter-pylori

Now the consensus is that H. pylori causes most stomach ulcers in human beings, and that may yet be wrong also.  That's just one example; the examples available from the realm of physics are stuff of legend.  The easy money says that the scientific consensus is probably wrong on something significant in the realm of climate science as well, we just don't know what it is yet.

All of these papers, unfolding over 20 years, are now publicly accessible online.  You can remain unconvinced until you go read them.

It would seem that you are not really understanding my position here.  Reading the published work of climate scientists, particularly because I'm not qualified to pass judgement upon those works, is not an act of scientific inquiry.  It would be more akin to a lay Catholic entering into the theological records of the Vatican, and act of a true believer searching for the true religion. 

All of these different cycles have been described and documented, along with the evidence and the contemporary debate over them, in the scientific literature.  It's good to be skeptical of claims for which you haven't seen any evidence, so I'm not trying to be critical.  I'm just saying that this evidence does exist, and every single person who has ever looked at it has agreed that is sound.  That's how science works.  We all argue with each other until we all agree on something, then we write it down and move on to arguing about something else.
Fine, I should change my statement.  Perhaps you can know, but I cannot.  I do not have the skillset to assess the validity of the data available.  Neither does 99.9999% of the population on Earth, we would have to trust the assessment of scientists in the field.  We can't even determine which scientists should be trusted.  It's akin to a scientific priesthood; each affirming the credibility of the others in view of illiterate worshipers.

None of them will ever be as good as the fully 3D real world version we're running in real time, right now.  We're conducting the grandest experiment of all time, with our only home, without any understanding of what's going to happen.  Just pull the ripcord and see what happens?  Hope it turns out okay?

Yes.  Maybe.  I don't know.  And I don't really believe that you do either.  That's my problem with it, the system is so complex that it's practically beyond human understanding.  It's an emotional response to say, "it's all going wrong!  We must do something!"  But these kinds of decisions, particularly on the magnitude that we are discussing, do not occur in a vacuum with no externalitites of their own.  "Do something even if it's wrong" is not a plan at all, and it's as likely to cause great human suffering as it is likely to prevent it.
So long as we don't ever hit that "catastrophic tipping point" humanity can adapt.  Nature, generally, might be another question; but I'd put my money on survival.  And the idea that grapes could be grown in the Britain again doesn't sound like hardship to myself.
It's not really a matter of how fast it happens, when you're talking about losing half of Florida and most of Bangladesh.
It does if you are looking at it without the emotional attachment to a particular land mass.  Bangladesh, in particular, could be evacuated to higher ground at walking speeds, and the entire country still resettled in newly viable territory a generation before necessary.  The issue is normalcy bias, the people of Bangladesh don't want to move, and certainly not so far, for a lot about their culture (from a hot country) that is several thousand years old would be radically changed.  Is that fair to the people of Bangladesh?  No, but life is not fair.  Displacement wasn't fair to the gypsies either, but they have been landless for centuries.  At least the people of Bangladesh will have more time, and face less risks, than the Huguenots.  As for Florida, the retires could just stop moving there, and the natives drive away in their SUVs, and no one is likely to drown.  Agricultural land in Canada might be a great long term investment, though.

This is why I like you.

I thought it was because of my dashing good looks.

I just assume that every photo I see on the Internet is stolen.

I wasn't referring to biomass for energy production, but as construction materials; such as favoring a wood composite wallboard over gypsum drywall
If you're going to sequester carbon, you have to do it somewhere permanent.  What pretty much means in carbonate rocks,
Is an artificial process for creating carbonite from air out of the question?

How much is a very important question also, because the correct answer matters to whether action to avert warming is more likely to cause human suffering than doing nothing

I'm of the opinion that the human suffering is already a baked in fact, and it's just a matter of when.  We'll see at least five or ten degrees of warming eventually, unavoidably, it's just a matter of whether it takes 100 or 1000 years to get there. 

I'm hoping it's more like 1000.  The more time we can buy ourselves to work on other solutions, the less suffering there will have to be.  I'm not sure I understand the argument for burning more carbon because we're unsure of how bad it's going to get.  It's going to get bad, and it's going to get worse the more you burn, so every reduction you can do now helps, at least a little.  Most of our reductions, like solar panels and electric cars, are easy to implement, economically profitable, widely available, and clearly beneficial.  Why fight those?

I'm not fighting those, I'm just not willing to take money from some in order to fund them for others.  I simply advocate for the natural default course by the market, whatever that may be, until a definitive answer on the question "what is the BEST course of action?" is presented.  The default of doing "nothing" (which isn't really nothing, just nothing beyond the context of what the market determines; I think that solar has a near term economic cause anyway, and have already ordered a solar array for my own home) is as likely to be the best course of action, in both the short and long term, as any other choice. 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2015, 01:34:37 AM »
If all climate change concern is totally wrong, then hey! Trees are still awesome. Therefore - plant trees. Did I miss anything critical?

Sounds reasonable to me, and trees also have investment value anyway.  Which is why I have 13 acres of them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2015, 06:18:57 AM »
What ISN'T a predicted effect of climate change?  Because I've heard:

-more hurricanes
-less hurricanes
-more snow
-less snow
-more storms
-more drought

etc etc as all "proof" of AGW.  I took a dump yesterday morning before work.  GLOBAL WARMING!  I didn't take a dump this morning.  GLOBAL WARMING!

When you're talking about local weather, the indicator of climate change is change.  Some deserts might start getting more rain because of changing weather patterns.  Some wet areas might start drying up.  These seem contradictory . . . until you notice how all of the things mentioned are noticed because they're different than the norm?  None of them individually are 'proof' of climate change, but multiple recorded changes taken as a whole from around the world are a strong indicator that something is happening.  It's expected that you'll see more and more frequent record breaking events as things are altered.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »
What ISN'T a predicted effect of climate change?  Because I've heard:

-more hurricanes
-less hurricanes
-more snow
-less snow
-more storms
-more drought

etc etc as all "proof" of AGW.  I took a dump yesterday morning before work.  GLOBAL WARMING!  I didn't take a dump this morning.  GLOBAL WARMING!

When you're talking about local weather, the indicator of climate change is change.  Some deserts might start getting more rain because of changing weather patterns.  Some wet areas might start drying up.  These seem contradictory . . . until you notice how all of the things mentioned are noticed because they're different than the norm?  None of them individually are 'proof' of climate change, but multiple recorded changes taken as a whole from around the world are a strong indicator that something is happening.  It's expected that you'll see more and more frequent record breaking events as things are altered.

Yes, this, exactly.   And, theoretically speaking, it's no big deal. 

Except that we've built a world based on the environment that we used to have (see, for example, Miami, Norfolk, New Orleans -- billions of dollars of infrastructure already at risk).  Our business models are based on the climate of the past and because we don't really know what the future looks like we can't be sure how to begin adapting.   How can an insurance company accurately price its product if the past actuarial tables aren't useful anymore?  How can a utility company decide where to locate its next power plant when the water supply it relies on may be at risk and prior experience/ knowledge is no long helpful?  Etc. etc.

And that doesn't even account for nature's slow evolutionary approach to change.  If the climate were changing over millennia, then flora and fauna could adapt and survive.  But the climate is changing in the blink of an eye, geologically speaking.  It's happening too fast for evolution to keep up.

Climate change is a threat multiplier - a wildcard - and that's why it's a problem.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2015, 07:55:58 AM »
Wow these posts are getting WAY out of control.  I hope nobody else is actually suffering through reading this book.

Surely you jest.  The depth and breadth of nerdom in this forum know no bounds.

Mars has the same problem, made even worse by its smaller size.  Lower gravity makes it even easier to lose those light elements to space.  We'll never be able to terraform Mars with a traditional Earthlike atmosphere, at least not for very long, because everything is constantly being kicked off into space.

Did the latest Wait But Why post get the science wrong?

the question of whether claims about history are "scientific" is a complicated question that has been addressed at length elsewhere and I don't feel like writing anything else about it here, other than to flag it for review in case sol wants to offer his personal explanation of how he deals with this very subtle issue.

We're not talking about Napolean's motivations for wearing a funny hat.  This isn't history like in a history book, this is history as in data that were published immediately after being collected and QA/QC'd. 

I guess you can argue that all published data records are potentially falsified?  What about the ones I measured and published myself?

If science as a human enterprise was unable to use any previously acquired knowledge, we'd never be able to make any progress at all.  We'd be verifying 1+1=2 every morning just to make sure we weren't being lied to.  Seems rather ludicrous, doesn't it?

You neatly brushed aside Cathy's question, but you didn't answer it.  If you zoom out far enough in your perspective, nothing is verifiable.  In a sense, the pursuit of science requires suspension of disbelief in reality.  Each of us has no real way of knowing that we are not alone in the universe, the entire perception of our life the product of a dream or computer program or another brain-in-a-vat type of false reality.  Science neatly sidesteps questions of Cartesian solipsism and other forms of radical skepticism by placing them outside its scope, but, as Cathy said, some questions straddle the border between the disciplines of philosophy and science.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »

I think sol is talking about a geologic timescale - i.e., creating a stable atmosphere that could persist without intervention for millions of years - whereas WaitButWhy is more interested in a human timescale.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Read everything. Found Sol's points more compelling. (Disclaimer: socially liberal Washingtonian; it's to be expected.) Conclusion: I should plant as many trees as I can and not otherwise worry about climate change, because beyond planting trees there isn't anything I can do anyway. Since we are probably all screwed in the long term, trees are at least nice to sit under and pick fruit from until the planet becomes inhospitable to humans. If all climate change concern is totally wrong, then hey! Trees are still awesome. Therefore - plant trees. Did I miss anything critical?

Ha!   Great summary!    I'll keep riding my bike and eating my backyard fruit (because I like those things), but beyond that I'm just going to live my life.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »

Ha!   Great summary!    I'll keep riding my bike and eating my backyard fruit (because I like those things), but beyond that I'm just going to live my life.

Climate change really isn't anything I worry about either.  Does it change, sure.  Are we influencing it, of course, we're part of the system.  Does it all matter, nope, not one bit.  At some future point the Earth will no longer be habitable unless we are able to harness technologies WAY beyond our current means.  In order to harness those, we'll need to do lots of Earth harming research and exploration (and get a bunch of us off the planet and onto others, which will also cause harm in the process).  If we get to that point, we'll be harming the larger environment (solar system, then galactic scale, etc).  If we DON'T get to that point, well, we die off.  If we're gone, we won't be causing any further harm.  In summary:

1) Life functions by causing damage to nature.
2) When you're dead, none of this matters at all
3) The odds on you living forever appear to be very slim

That said, I enjoy a conservative lifestyle, only taking/using what I need.  Avoiding waste, etc.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »

Except that we've built a world based on the environment that we used to have (see, for example, Miami, Norfolk, New Orleans -- billions of dollars of infrastructure already at risk).  Our business models are based on the climate of the past and because we don't really know what the future looks like we can't be sure how to begin adapting.   How can an insurance company accurately price its product if the past actuarial tables aren't useful anymore?  How can a utility company decide where to locate its next power plant when the water supply it relies on may be at risk and prior experience/ knowledge is no long helpful?  Etc. etc.

...I think the world is not run quite so well as you imagine.  We'll be fine.  The answer to all of the above is that surety is not required to make decisions.  You don't actually need good data.  You do the best you can to predict what you'll need, and sometimes it takes an extra trip to the hardware store.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »

You completely forgot the part about drinking lots of booze!   

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »

The five gallons of plum wine I have in a primary fermenter right now say it still ties back to the trees :)

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

I think sol is talking about a geologic timescale - i.e., creating a stable atmosphere that could persist without intervention for millions of years - whereas WaitButWhy is more interested in a human timescale.

Ah.  That's mildly disappointing.  I came away from the WBW post with the impression that we may be able to terraform Mars for the relatively long-term in less than a blink of an eye (in both cases, on a geological timescale).  So, once established, how long could a self-sustaining Earthlike atmosphere persist on Mars without intervention?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »
So, once established, how long could a self-sustaining Earthlike atmosphere persist on Mars without intervention?

That was a homework problem I had to solve in Ge04, Introduction to Planetary Sciences, as a sophomore.  Sorry, I don't remember the answer.

But it was at least a few tens of thousands of years, I think.  Probably enough time to strip mine the whole thing. 

The down side is that parts of your atmosphere that are lost to space are basically unrecoverable.  They're gone, riding the solar wind out into the interstellar void.  If we're going to eventually grow into a multi-planet or multi-star civilization, keeping hold of as many of our resources as possible is going to be important.  I think that in a few thousand years, humans will be building habitats that fully recycle their air and water and will come to curse their ancestors who wasted so much oxygen by terraforming an entire planet temporarily.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
So, once established, how long could a self-sustaining Earthlike atmosphere persist on Mars without intervention?

That was a homework problem I had to solve in Ge04, Introduction to Planetary Sciences, as a sophomore.  Sorry, I don't remember the answer.

But it was at least a few tens of thousands of years, I think.  Probably enough time to strip mine the whole thing. 

The down side is that parts of your atmosphere that are lost to space are basically unrecoverable.  They're gone, riding the solar wind out into the interstellar void.  If we're going to eventually grow into a multi-planet or multi-star civilization, keeping hold of as many of our resources as possible is going to be important.  I think that in a few thousand years, humans will be building habitats that fully recycle their air and water and will come to curse their ancestors who wasted so much oxygen by terraforming an entire planet temporarily.
Yes, this is a problem that would only be solved by some kind of artificial containment like a bubble or some force field or whatever. Another is that Mars gravity is only a fraction of Earth's, and human bodies are just not adapted to that. Who knows what kind of health problems we will have due to the gravity differential. They've done a fair amount of work on this with people in the ISS for 3-18 months. But we're a long way from compensating for a lifetime of low-G. A Mars colony is much more complicated than getting rockets to be cheap.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »
Mars gravity is only a fraction of Earth's, and human bodies are just not adapted to that.

We're getting way off topic here, but here goes anyway.

I suspect Elon Musk and company already know this, but the vision of Mars exploration they're pitching is missing some really important pieces.  Gene insertions and deletions are suddenly easy and cheap, as of about 18 months ago, suddenly giving us full control over our own genetics.  Think of the advances in self-replicating and quasi-intelligen robots discussed elsewhere on this forum, and imagine their utility on other planets.  Putting them both together with Elon's vision, and suddenly it feels like adapting Mars to suit humans is a whole lot harder than adapting humans to suit Mars. 

If we're talking about a 1000 year long process anyway, why limit yourself to today's technological vision?  Imagine the most educated man in the world in the year 1015 trying to envision what society would look like 1000 years in the future, before the discovery of North America much less Mars.  He cannot envision the internet, or interplanetary travel, or CRISPR/Cas9, or even cars.  His vision will be so far off as to be laughable, and yet here we are predicting how humans will colonize the solar system in 1000 years?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2015, 08:10:32 PM »
Mars gravity is only a fraction of Earth's, and human bodies are just not adapted to that.

We're getting way off topic here, but here goes anyway.

I suspect Elon Musk and company already know this, but the vision of Mars exploration they're pitching is missing some really important pieces.  Gene insertions and deletions are suddenly easy and cheap, as of about 18 months ago, suddenly giving us full control over our own genetics.  Think of the advances in self-replicating and quasi-intelligen robots discussed elsewhere on this forum, and imagine their utility on other planets.  Putting them both together with Elon's vision, and suddenly it feels like adapting Mars to suit humans is a whole lot harder than adapting humans to suit Mars. 

If we're talking about a 1000 year long process anyway, why limit yourself to today's technological vision?  Imagine the most educated man in the world in the year 1015 trying to envision what society would look like 1000 years in the future, before the discovery of North America much less Mars.  He cannot envision the internet, or interplanetary travel, or CRISPR/Cas9, or even cars.  His vision will be so far off as to be laughable, and yet here we are predicting how humans will colonize the solar system in 1000 years?

Yeah, genetics is one of Elon's 5 big interest areas. He's just not working in it now because of the societal ethical concerns (which exist now but I think will not exist forever).

Genetic control isn't quite as easy as your phrasing would suggest, but I imagine you're being intentionally loose with that language. And we don't really have any idea what genes to change for almost anything yet. But these things will all improve with time (but maybe not before you and I are too old or dead to benefit from it).

Fuman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Sol - thank you for your posts.  You're always thought provoking.

I just wish MusicLover would chime in here again - he always makes me laugh!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
(but maybe not before you and I are too old or dead to benefit from it).

I think the real power in these technologies is in the embryo design business.  Giving me the huge muscles of the supercow is hard.  Giving my unborn children those muscles is relatively easy.

As a side effect, I suspect that basically all advances in genetics will fail to benefit the people who discover them.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2015, 08:20:26 AM »

...I think the world is not run quite so well as you imagine.  We'll be fine.  The answer to all of the above is that surety is not required to make decisions.  You don't actually need good data.  You do the best you can to predict what you'll need, and sometimes it takes an extra trip to the hardware store.

Hmmm, an extra trip to the hardware store is an understatement.  Uncertainty disrupts markets and that's a real problem.

In Norfolk, sea level is expected to rise by 1 to 2 feet by 2040, according to a report commissioned by VA's general assembly -- a conservative body that banned the use of the term "climate change" in drafting the report.   A new pier built at Norfolk's navy base in 2003 is already not high enough for future sea levels.  Adapting to that will cost billions.  Taxpayers will get soaked.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/17/sea-level-rise-swamps-norfolk-us-coasts/3893825/

Would you invest in Norfolk? [rhetorical]

And that's just Norfolk.  Every coastal city faces this problem to one degree or another and the economic cost will be astronomical.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »
Enjoying it.

This is where the uncertainty primarily lies. People intentionally obfuscating will trump up the uncertainty of the modeling to cast doubt upon it, and allow people to assume it means the direction of the trend is uncertain. Well the direction of the trend is clear. It's the rapidity of effects, and the interaction of various effects we've considered and others we haven't that are uncertain. I also believe that we've already baked in a certain amount of warming and long term effects. And we are continuing to bake more each day. And we are probably seeing some of the effects today. And the time between now and some of the more negative consequences is shortened each additional day we continue throwing our garbage into the air. We have changed the world and it's a question of time.

People like to talk in terms of stopping before it's too late. I think this is a simple framing that can make people feel like taking action is urgent and meaningful. Well it's already too late to prevent a lot of what's going to happen (unless we build solar/wind/fission/fusion-powered CO2 splitters and bury the carbon somewhere again). But what we can do is slow down, even significantly, any additional damage. The problem is that it takes many years to put the brakes on this giant cruise ship of carbon burning that fuels the economy. We could totally do it, and pretty quickly if we wanted to enough. But a lot of rich people are rich and influential because they own so much oil and coal production and they want to keep eating our cash. And the people who are going to be rich from renewable energy sources are not yet rich and powerful, so we have a power imbalance that maintains the status quo.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
In Norfolk, sea level is expected to rise by 1 to 2 feet by 2040, according to a report commissioned by VA's general assembly

The immediate context of the "1 to 2 feet" possibility in the article linked: "...found sea level could rise more than average in Tidewater because of land subsidence — 1 to 2 feet by 2040..."

Yes, the bulk of the article also discusses non-land-sinking reasons why coastal water levels may increase.  Seems reasonable to assume, however, the land sinking has more to do with building in marshy areas rather than atmospheric concentration changes. 

Conflating the predicted effects from multiple causes into one number and implying that effect is due to a single cause may engender skepticism - rightly or wrongly - on individual cause/effect pairs.  Unfortunately the article doesn't (one would presime the study does) split the total number into component parts.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
I'm frankly amazed the thread has continued this long. The people who have devoted their professional lives to studying this issue have pretty much unanimously agreed that climate change is indeed happening and it is indeed caused by human activity. What more needs to be said?

Well, those people's livelihood depends on them advancing an alarmist stance on climate change, don'tcha know? [/snark]

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2015, 12:26:02 PM »
I avoided posting here for the longest time because of the science-bashing.  However lately it has been more rational (thanks, Sol).  And yes, the whole point of science is that it looks at facts and tries to interpret them, and then tests the interpretations (hypotheses), and when the tests don't match the facts, the hypotheses get adjusted. Enough understanding and we can develop a theory. Latest large-scale example - tectonic plate theory (which evolutionary biologists were incredibly happy to see).  "Belief" is not part of the vocabulary, science is forming a hypothesis, making a prediction from that hypothesis, testing the prediction, and adjusting the hypothesis.  If that is not happening, it is not science.  And the next person I see, anyplace, who says something is "just a theory" will have the theory of gravity tested on them.  Sorry, I got carried away there.

Anyway, ecologist here - that means a mostly biology background, with some basic geology/geography/chemistry thrown in.

TL:DR - learn to think in a longer time scale and a lot of this will start to make more sense.

Fun fact - on highway 11 between North Bay and Temagami there is a rock cut full of drop stones.  The biggest are wider than I am tall.  That was a major ice sheet over ocean.

General comments - the cooling in the 70's was partly solar irradiation, and partly an increased albedo, from particulates from industry and from soil erosion.  As better farming methods were adopted, and scrubbers were installed, this changed.  The weather after the Krakatoa explosion shows the effect of atmospheric high level particulates very nicely.  I think we saw something similar, on a smaller scale, a few years ago from the Iceland volcanoes (the one where planes were stranded).  Of course these particulates get washed out of the atmosphere quickly (just a few years) so their effects are not long-lasting, unless there is consistent large-scale volcanic activity.  And there can be, look at the Deccan Traps.

Sea level - as mentioned earlier, it is a combination of water volume (and warmer water has more volume) and land level.  Halifax is sinking, as Ontario and Quebec rebound from the last glaciation, so any measurements there have to take into account its relative position change.

Historical climate measure - as mentioned above, climate is overall, weather is local - but weather definitely responds to larger changes.  If an air current moves, for whatever reason, the weather it affects will change.  We have seen this recently where our winters have been unusually cold, because the polar air flow stalled.

Weather cycles - some areas historically cycle anyway, the Canadian prairies tend to have roughly 7 year cycles of wet/dry - probably due to El Nino/La Nina, but when I first learned about that the ocean cycles were just starting to be studied.  The value of long record-keeping is that we can start to see trends.  And if long-term trends change, we can see that as well.  For longer periods, paleoecology and paleogeography can give us local information.

The last half of the 20th century was unusual re weather/climate, in that it was unusually stable, and people got used to that.  The normal climate situation is unpredictability.

Re carbon sequestration, any basic Ecology textbook will go into climate, weather, the carbon cycle, and all the other biogeochemical cycles.  Yes, that is what we call them, since they are all affected by biology and geology and chemistry.   My favourite, if you want to find one, is Ecology and Field Biology by Smith and Smith.

Learn to think in different time scales - short time, medium time and long time.  Just as we have different time scales in biology (species extinction versus mass extinctions), there are different time scales in geology. The last ice age was a blink of the eye ago, really.  Only 10,000 years?  Nothing.  Lots of plants that would be perfectly happy here haven't had time to get back here (from southern refuges) yet.

What do I worry about?  I don't expect to be alive when the worst hits.  But I have a daughter, and maybe some day grandchildren, so yes I worry.  I am just as worried about the chemical effects of increased CO2.  Basic chemistry question - what happens to CO2 in water?  It turns into acid.  So the pH of oceans and lakes changes.  We have seen the effect of increased acidity in lakes from acid rain.  Not good.  And increased bicarbonate and carbonate ions affect calcium ions, and that affects anything with a calcium salt exoskeleton.  I've seen (as in my own two eyes seen) acid lakes with literally no clams or snails.

Basically, a lot of biologists are worrying not about people, we are only one species, but the whole biosphere.  There have been mass extinctions where we lost 90% of everything, it can happen again.  Lesser nightmare - there were proto-mammals at the end of the Cretaceous, before there were early dinosaurs - so how come the whole Mesozoic had all those dinosaurs, and itty bitty mammals?  Climate change.  Mammals have less efficient lungs than birds (modern dinosaurs).  If we mess up our algae (acid oceans) and our O2 levels drop, mammals will be in big trouble.

Oh, businesses?  Forestry companies that do replanting take it seriously.  Companies that do just-in-time supply management?  They look at climate extremes that can affect deliveries.   Utilities. - the "Great Ice Storm" of January 1998 was due to three ice storms in a row coming down the St. Lawrence River, that was a first.  Any two of those storms would not have knocked over the power pylons, but the accumulation from three of them did. Seriously, I have seen more climate science in newspaper business sections than in science sections.

Oh, and re what tyort1 just posted, no, these people's jobs do not depend on climate change.  The people on the IPCC were volunteering time over and above their regular jobs, or were temporarily loaned from their regular jobs to be on it. They are not firefighters who would be out of a job if there were no fires.  They are just telling us what they are seeing.  Actually, that is the silliest comment so far. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
The [/snark] label meant I was being sarcastic with my comment.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
The [/snark] label meant I was being sarcastic with my comment.

Yes, and sadly, your sarcastic comment is referencing a real belief held by some climate-change deniers:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/opinion/columns/story/2015/aug/01/dont-be-fooled-climate-change-alarmists/317648/

My guess is, since that's a belief held by some crackpots, Retiredat63 didn't notice you were joking.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic at them.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »

Well, I would have thought that went without saying! Save water - drink whiskey.

The five gallons of plum wine I have in a primary fermenter right now say it still ties back to the trees :)

Cool! I have five gallons of plum wine in secondary! What a year for plums this has been.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »

Sorry, away for the weekend. But, continue patting each other on the back...it is entertaining.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »

Well, I would have thought that went without saying! Save water - drink whiskey.

Well actually it takes far more water to drink whiskey! I don't make whiskey, but from what I know of making beer, I'd guess it's as much as 20x as much water.

Please don't hate me, I'll leave now.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »

Sorry, away for the weekend. But, continue patting each other on the back...it is entertaining.
We thought maybe you were out finding evidence to back up your bold claims.