Author Topic: What are your favorite board games?  (Read 75004 times)

lemonlyman

• Bristles
Re: What are your favorite board games?
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »
I like Inis too. I don't think it's the best, but it's fun and relatively quick. The art is amazing.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
Legendary : Marvel. (Cost a lot but I enjoy it.)
Warhammer 40k.

There are quite a few games I own but getting my friends together to play is like herding cats. Finally said "screw it" and started going to the hobby shop.

WH40k seems like the most anti-mustachian game you could pick, hahahaha.

I still have a lot of figures from my teenage years, but I have no painting ability whatsoever.

Yeah. I understand that. It feels like home though. I haven't bought models in a year or so because my backlog is so big. One day though.

Anyone here have suggestions on how to make game nights run smoothly? I'm making note cards for setting up games so everyone can do something without needing the main book.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
Anyone here have suggestions on how to make game nights run smoothly? I'm making note cards for setting up games so everyone can do something without needing the main book.

What types of issues are you currently running into? How long and how many people are usually at your board game nights?

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »
Legendary : Marvel. (Cost a lot but I enjoy it.)
Warhammer 40k.

There are quite a few games I own but getting my friends together to play is like herding cats. Finally said "screw it" and started going to the hobby shop.

WH40k seems like the most anti-mustachian game you could pick, hahahaha.

I still have a lot of figures from my teenage years, but I have no painting ability whatsoever.

Yeah. I understand that. It feels like home though. I haven't bought models in a year or so because my backlog is so big. One day though.

I have a few quick rules of thumb for running larger groups. If it's small enough for a single game, you probably don't need a ton of advice so let's assume it's for multiple games.

- I try and have a selection of a limited number of light games and a limited number of medium games, and maybe one heavy game pre-selected.

- If large enough, I try and assign one regular as a 'leader' for each game.

- We order pizza and I don't really ask for suggestions, I just order a bunch otherwise it takes forever.

- Most important, when introducing a game to new players don't explain it, just call the first game a practice round and start immediately. Explain rules as necessary but only in context of when they apply.  Don't go through a summary of the rules beforehand, just start.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
I started a little board game thread a while ago in General Discussion, and was directed here. Finally getting around to posting.  Was introduced to the world of Euro style board games 6 years ago by a friend (Catan of course).  Tabletop games continue to be a favorite pastime.

I've found that I really gravitate toward heavier games.  I like the challenge of figuring out the rules and how best to approach the game.  More strategy, less chance.  Playing lighter weight games is still lots of fun though and it gives me more options of people to play with.

Here's some of my favorite games.

Puerto Rico - Got this off CL for 10 bucks a couple years ago.  Probably my second most played game behind Catan.  I love a game where there are so many viable roads to victory.  I'm much better at 3 player than 4 or 5 though.

Twilight Struggle - Another CL score.  Mostly played with my brother.  It's just so stupidly intense and amazing.  It's like you're both drowning in lava while attempting to push the others head under.  So brutal. 

Terra Mystica - This is the newest game I've acquired.  Only played it a dozen times so far.  I'm in love.  Another game with many roads to victory.  I'm starting to learn that I shouldn't become addicted to the income favor tiles because you have to give up lots of points for not picking the point favor tiles.

Tales of the Arabian Nights - This is the one giant exception when it comes to my favorite games because there's absolutely zero strategy to it at all.  It's a choose your own adventure book in board game form.  The art is very pretty and it's always a hit even if it took some coaxing to get someone to play it. 

Super Motherload - This is a little known medium weight gem.  It's a deck builder meets tile layer.  You're mining for minerals on mars and using the profits from those minerals to hire more pilots (cards in your deck) to fly the ships you mine with.  It's a go-to for it's shorter play length and general level of fun.  Also my current favorite deck builder since I've played Dominion and it's expansions to death.

Those games would be my choices for any given game night.  Other games I'll gladly play are:

Dominion
Dead of Winter
Memoir '44 (haven't dipped my toes into some of the heavier war games, but I think Axis & Allies and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics will eventually enter my repertoire)
Stone Age
Catan (with a variation)

Games I'd like to try:

Agricola
Istanbul
Scythe

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Puerto Rico - Got this off CL for 10 bucks a couple years ago.  Probably my second most played game behind Catan.  I love a game where there are so many viable roads to victory.  I'm much better at 3 player than 4 or 5 though.

Have you played this with only 2 people? Some boxes say 3-5, but you can just print the rules for 2. I heard it wasn't the best for 2 but I still considered getting it since the game shop has a copy for $30 because of damage on the box. Getting 3 isn't typically too difficult but I prefer to buy games with 2 minimums.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
I looooove Carcassonne.  Apparently the art for the newer editions is not as good though, which is disappointing— I love the art in my Rio Grande copy.  Also love Puerto Rico.  I’ve only played it a handful of times but will happily take it out if guests like complex board games.

My cousin just introduced us to Monopoly Deal.  It’s a card game loosely based on Monopoly concepts, but it only takes a few minutes to learn and the fun part is that there’s no change!  Everything’s in millions of dollars and say if you owe someone $3 million but only have a $10 million card then you have to give it to them.  Or if you run out of cash, you start paying in properties.  It’s a fun game that moves fast and only costs $5 to buy— totally worth it!

We just started Pandemic Legacy Season 1 a few weeks ago and got to the first card-tearing moment.  I handed it to my board game-loving friend, and he was like “I can’t do it”.  Then I gave it to his wife, and she couldn’t either.  I gave it to my husband (who is not so much into board games) and he casually tore it in half.  It is such an amazing game.  Can’t wait to play it again with them when we meet up in Feb!

By the way, Season 2 is on sale at Think Geek for $55.  Last week it was a steal at $45 and I picked up a copy along with some other crazy good board game deals.  $55 is still better than the price elsewhere though.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »

Have you played this with only 2 people? Some boxes say 3-5, but you can just print the rules for 2. I heard it wasn't the best for 2 but I still considered getting it since the game shop has a copy for $30 because of damage on the box. Getting 3 isn't typically too difficult but I prefer to buy games with 2 minimums.

Unfortunately I'm no help here.   I'm aware there's a two player variation, but I've never tied it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »
It's a little on the nose for this forum, but we love the 1973 edition of Payday.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »
I just got Star Trek Panic, which has turned out to be a lot of fun. It's a cooperative game where you play out the 5 year mission of the Enterprise from the original series. There are many possible missions and you really do have to plan your actions as a crew to keep the ship operational and achieve your goals.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:54 AM »
I just got Star Trek Panic, which has turned out to be a lot of fun. It's a cooperative game where you play out the 5 year mission of the Enterprise from the original series. There are many possible missions and you really do have to plan your actions as a crew to keep the ship operational and achieve your goals.

Have you tried Space Alert? If not, it might be another one you would enjoy. If you have, I'd be curious to hear how the two compare.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
@Penn42 from your list, I bet you would like Terraforming Mars!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2018, 12:14:23 AM »
Any of you on boardgamegeek?

Here is my current Top 10:

#1:    Istanbul
#2:    Caylus
#3:    Bootleggers
#4:    The Voyages of Marco Polo
#5:    Village
#6:    Power Grid
#7:    Lorenzo il Magnifico
#8:    Mechs vs. Minions
#9:    Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
#10: Airlines Europe

I did finally get a copy of The Pillars of the Earth, and Rajas of the Ganges.  There is a good chance one or both might end up on this list.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »

Have you tried Space Alert? If not, it might be another one you would enjoy. If you have, I'd be curious to hear how the two compare.

We liked Space Alert, played a decent number of times before Pandemic took the place as defacto coop game.
Marginally related: I found Lovers in a Dangerous SpaceTime (video game, for the switch) felt very much like Space Alert, except in videogame format: you and 3 others are piloting a spaceship through fields of asteroids and hostile aliens, and there are more control stations than there are players - steering, navigation, 4 guns, a super gun, and a shield, so twice as many places needing control as people to man them.  Lots of changing positions and yelling and chaos.  But everything happens in real time, and there are no cards to mess with

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
I'm on BGG.  I commissioned a Mustachian microbadge but it's not popular.  Unsurprising considering the crazy amount of money people drop on games there.

Re: 2p Puerto Rico.  I've played 2p any number of times.  It's good although if it's just me and someone else, there are things I'd rather play.  Twilight Struggle, Hammer of the Scots, or others designed for 2p.

If you want the PR experience but primarily play 2p, check out San Juan.  It's the card game version but feels pretty similar.  Plays fast, scales from 2-4.  Came out in a 2nd edition a couple of years ago that folded in an expansion and made some tweaks for balance.

Currently I'm not in a regular board game group, but I am in an RPG one.  D&D 1e -- nothing more frugal than getting battered hardbacks from 1979 for $3 at the thrift store.  I don't think the rules have aged well, but I'm having fun, so there you go.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »
I'm on BGG.  I commissioned a Mustachian microbadge but it's not popular.  Unsurprising considering the crazy amount of money people drop on games there.

I didn't know it existed! Purchased!

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
Bob Ross: The Art of Chill

My oldest son, 32, brought this over one night and I guess the reason it's my favorite is because of the way he actually acted like he was having fun.
I guess Bob Ross is a much bigger deal now that he's dead. My son, when he was 1-2 loved to sit on the rocking chair, rock, and watch Bob Ross!!!!!!! 

This man was my babysitter.

I told him it's probably best if he doesn't tell the people he works with. His comment, "That's where I got it!"

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »

I didn't know it existed! Purchased!

How does one even go about searching for microbadges there?  I still have 2 promo codes left for a free one; seems like a Mustachian thing to do.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
@Penn42 from your list, I bet you would like Terraforming Mars!

I've heard of that one, but don't know much other than it's name.  I'll add it to the list, thanks!

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
How does one even go about searching for microbadges there?  I still have 2 promo codes left for a free one; seems like a Mustachian thing to do.

My Geek ->
Profile ->
Buy microbadges (middle of the page, near the avatar)

That’ll take you to the main MB page, with a search bar at the top.

Or here’s the link:
https://rpggeek.com/microbadge/42128

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at some reviews and maybe a playthrough video and see what it's like.

Star Trek Panic is based on the game Castle Panic, if you are familiar with that one.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »

My Geek ->
Profile ->
Buy microbadges (middle of the page, near the avatar)

That’ll take you to the main MB page, with a search bar at the top.

Or here’s the link:
https://rpggeek.com/microbadge/42128

Thanks!  Done!  Now there are three of us there that own it.

patriciawest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »
Among all the board games, i have loved playing Trivial Pursuit and The Logo Board Game.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
I went through the thread and noticed that Keyflower was only mentioned once.  For those of you who like the Uwe-style Eurotrash econ engine games (my personal favorite along with 4X), Keyflower is pretty much on the top of my list. As for 4X, it's damned hard to beat Through the Ages, though Eclipse certainly does a great job as well. For lighter games that can be taught quickly, I really like Carcassone or 7 Wonders, but one that often gets overlooked is Endeavor.

Heavy Euro
Keyflower *
Ora et Labora
Agricola
Le Havre
(all other Uwe Games)
Caylus
Puerto Rico *
Age of Steam

4X
Through the Ages *
Eclipse

Medium
Castles of Burgundy
Troyes
Pandemic
Five Tribes
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion
Endeavor
Stone Age *

Lighter Euros / Intro Games
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Love Letter

Ricochet Robots
Blokus
RoboRally

Area Control
Terra Mystica *
El Grande
Wallenstein / Samurai
Small World
Tigris & Euphrates (kind of)

Own
Played/enjoyed
* WANT

Other favorites are Lords of Waterdeep, Roll for the Galaxy, Scythe (heavy!), Brew Crafters

2 player -> Hive, 7 Wonders: Duel, Caverna Cave-To-Cave.

Also for lighter / family friendly, Lanterns. King Domino!

We recently got Agricola - excellent game.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
Oh man, now I can't stop thinking of all the newer games I want to play. Unfortunately, I'm on a self-enforced hiatus while I wait for my toddlers to grow up to the point where I can play mid and heavy weighted games again. Until then, I'm keeping my eyes on a few of the new Euros. I'd be curious if anyone has any opinions on the following:

Robinson Crusoe - I like the idea of a cooperative survival game I can play with my wife (and eventually kids). Wife is a big fan of the books and primitive survivalist fantasy in general.

Clash of Cultures - I've read very good things about this as a more mid-weight 4X, but I hear the discontinued Civilizations expansion is required to really make it click. Unfortunately, the game + expansion seems to be going for about $250 online right now due to it being out of print.

Jaipur - Always looking for good and relatively short 2 player games I can play with my wife (and hopefully my daughter soon). This one seems to blend complexity and ease of play very well.

7 Wonders: Duel - Same as above, I'm a big fan of 7 Wonders for how well it does exactly what it tries to do. I keep hearing good things about this adaptation.

Clans of Caledonia - Another relatively recent Euro that seems to be getting a lot of buzz. Mid-weight Euros are my favorite so this seems like a perfect fit.

Inis - Same as above, but this one seems to be a bit more controversial and maybe a bit more fiddly. Would love to give a run to see for myself though.

Fields of Arle and Feast for Odin - What can I say, I'm a Uwe fanboy and I haven't tried either of these two. For reference my wife's favorite Uwe is Le Havre and mine is Ora et Labora.

Patchwork - A 2 player Uwe game that I might be able to try with my daughter soon? This seems almost like I have to buy it (see honey, it's not my fault this time)!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2018, 01:01:54 AM »

Hey Scortius- 

You should get on boardgamegeek.com   

It is such an amazing board game website.

Anyhow, I've replied to what I can in BOLD below:

Oh man, now I can't stop thinking of all the newer games I want to play. Unfortunately, I'm on a self-enforced hiatus while I wait for my toddlers to grow up to the point where I can play mid and heavy weighted games again. Until then, I'm keeping my eyes on a few of the new Euros. I'd be curious if anyone has any opinions on the following:

Robinson Crusoe - I like the idea of a cooperative survival game I can play with my wife (and eventually kids). Wife is a big fan of the books and primitive survivalist fantasy in general.  I've yet to play this, but one bad thing I've heard about it is how incredibly difficult it is to win.  By experienced gamers.  Who have played it a lot and still not won.

Clash of Cultures - I've read very good things about this as a more mid-weight 4X, but I hear the discontinued Civilizations expansion is required to really make it click. Unfortunately, the game + expansion seems to be going for about $250 online right now due to it being out of print. Got nothing for you on this one.  $250?  Yikes!

Jaipur - Always looking for good and relatively short 2 player games I can play with my wife (and hopefully my daughter soon). This one seems to blend complexity and ease of play very well.  This game is pretty solid.  I play it with my Mom who is almost 80.  It is fairly quick and has some nice decision-making to it.

7 Wonders: Duel - Same as above, I'm a big fan of 7 Wonders for how well it does exactly what it tries to do. I keep hearing good things about this adaptation.  I'm not a fan of 7 Wonders, but I was talked into trying Duel.  Unfortunately for me, it was too much like 7 Wonders.  I guess that is fortunate for you though.

Clans of Caledonia - Another relatively recent Euro that seems to be getting a lot of buzz. Mid-weight Euros are my favorite so this seems like a perfect fit.  I just played this for the first time on Friday.  I somehow finished in last (I think there were some scoring shenanigans).  I still enjoyed it though and would like to play it again.

Inis - Same as above, but this one seems to be a bit more controversial and maybe a bit more fiddly. Would love to give a run to see for myself though.  I played this once.  Too "confrontational" for me, and while most people love the artwork, I find it to be off-putting (but that is just me).

Fields of Arle and Feast for Odin - What can I say, I'm a Uwe fanboy and I haven't tried either of these two. For reference my wife's favorite Uwe is Le Havre and mine is Ora et Labora.  I haven't played either of those, but I do enjoy Le Havre.  If you want a solid quick Uwe game (yes, it is pretty quick, but still pretty heavy) you should look into Glass Road.

Patchwork - A 2 player Uwe game that I might be able to try with my daughter soon? This seems almost like I have to buy it (see honey, it's not my fault this time)!  Patchwork is a lot of fun!  How old is your daughter?

There are SO MANY great games out there!  I could go on and on (and usually do). 

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »

Hey Scortius- 

Robinson Crusoe - I like the idea of a cooperative survival game I can play with my wife (and eventually kids). Wife is a big fan of the books and primitive survivalist fantasy in general.  I've yet to play this, but one bad thing I've heard about it is how incredibly difficult it is to win.  By experienced gamers.  Who have played it a lot and still not won.

Clash of Cultures - I've read very good things about this as a more mid-weight 4X, but I hear the discontinued Civilizations expansion is required to really make it click. Unfortunately, the game + expansion seems to be going for about $250 online right now due to it being out of print. Got nothing for you on this one.  $250?  Yikes!

Jaipur - Always looking for good and relatively short 2 player games I can play with my wife (and hopefully my daughter soon). This one seems to blend complexity and ease of play very well.  This game is pretty solid.  I play it with my Mom who is almost 80.  It is fairly quick and has some nice decision-making to it.

7 Wonders: Duel - Same as above, I'm a big fan of 7 Wonders for how well it does exactly what it tries to do. I keep hearing good things about this adaptation.  I'm not a fan of 7 Wonders, but I was talked into trying Duel.  Unfortunately for me, it was too much like 7 Wonders.  I guess that is fortunate for you though.

Clans of Caledonia - Another relatively recent Euro that seems to be getting a lot of buzz. Mid-weight Euros are my favorite so this seems like a perfect fit.  I just played this for the first time on Friday.  I somehow finished in last (I think there were some scoring shenanigans).  I still enjoyed it though and would like to play it again.

Inis - Same as above, but this one seems to be a bit more controversial and maybe a bit more fiddly. Would love to give a run to see for myself though.  I played this once.  Too "confrontational" for me, and while most people love the artwork, I find it to be off-putting (but that is just me).

Fields of Arle and Feast for Odin - What can I say, I'm a Uwe fanboy and I haven't tried either of these two. For reference my wife's favorite Uwe is Le Havre and mine is Ora et Labora.  I haven't played either of those, but I do enjoy Le Havre.  If you want a solid quick Uwe game (yes, it is pretty quick, but still pretty heavy) you should look into Glass Road.

Patchwork - A 2 player Uwe game that I might be able to try with my daughter soon? This seems almost like I have to buy it (see honey, it's not my fault this time)!  Patchwork is a lot of fun!  How old is your daughter?

There are SO MANY great games out there!  I could go on and on (and usually do).

Thanks for the responses Will, that does help a bit. For reference, my daughter is five and getting to the point where we can play some of the lighter games in our collection (RTTA: Bronze Age, Ticket to Ride, Tiny Epic Galaxies).

As for boardgamegeek, my account there is 'Moozh'.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »

Hey Scortius- 

Thanks for the responses Will, that does help a bit. For reference, my daughter is five and getting to the point where we can play some of the lighter games in our collection (RTTA: Bronze Age, Ticket to Ride, Tiny Epic Galaxies).

As for boardgamegeek, my account there is 'Moozh'.

No problem.  I'm sure you are probably aware of it already, but Azul is a game I would recommend for you and your family.

I kinda figured you were on BGG somewhere, but I looked for Scortius instead of Moozh. 

DouglasFir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:50 PM »
I like Cranium because you get to do a variety of different activities and it really facilitates talking and laughing. Even more fun with alcoholic beverages! :)

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »
Played Concordia last week.  It's ... okay.  Kind of your standard Euro "trading in the Mediterranean" thing.  It is designed by Mac Gerhdts but instead of his typical "rondel" mechanic he likes to use, it has a deckbuilding mechanic which is kind of interesting.  Upgrade your trading empire etc.

It's very tightly designed, but overall it is way too bland to get excited about.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
I've never expanded much outside Monopoly and Risk but I'm interested in something different, especially that I can play with my kids. We started a game of Axis and Allies with one of their older cousins and they really want me to buy that. I've looked into a few games like Ticket to Ride and Catan but I'm trying to find them for a bit cheaper. I found Ticket to Ride on eBay in the $25-30 range for a brand new copy. Since Amazon, Target, and Walmart all charge $40-50 I suspect theses are counterfeit versions. Anyone ever buy new games of eBay and have good luck or should I just spend the extra $15 to make sure I get an authentic copy that won't fall apart after a few plays.

FYI my boys are almost 10, 8, and 6. The youngest of those three often quits after a while anyways so something that the 8- and 9-year old could handle would be nice.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
I've never expanded much outside Monopoly and Risk but I'm interested in something different, especially that I can play with my kids. We started a game of Axis and Allies with one of their older cousins and they really want me to buy that. I've looked into a few games like Ticket to Ride and Catan but I'm trying to find them for a bit cheaper. I found Ticket to Ride on eBay in the $25-30 range for a brand new copy. Since Amazon, Target, and Walmart all charge $40-50 I suspect theses are counterfeit versions. Anyone ever buy new games of eBay and have good luck or should I just spend the extra $15 to make sure I get an authentic copy that won't fall apart after a few plays.

FYI my boys are almost 10, 8, and 6. The youngest of those three often quits after a while anyways so something that the 8- and 9-year old could handle would be nice.

Ticket to Ride goes on sale around $25 every once in a while on Amazon.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »

Check out this video from The Dice Tower:

http://www.dicetower.com/game-video/12-games-christmas-family-games-0

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
Ticket to Ride and Catan are good choices. Other recommendations for that age group would be Dominion and Carcassonne. A few more if you're interested: Stone Age, Castles of Burgundy, Lords of Waterdeep, 7 Wonders, and Glass Road.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »
Ticket to Ride and Catan are good choices. Other recommendations for that age group would be Dominion and Carcassonne. A few more if you're interested: Stone Age, Castles of Burgundy, Lords of Waterdeep, 7 Wonders, and Glass Road.

CoB and Glass Road might be a little heavy for an 8 y/o.  Glancing over at my own collection, I would recommend Azul, Bang! the Dice Game, Libertalia, Cash 'n Guns, Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Spyfall, Shadow Hunters, Sonar, Blokus, Dixit, Coloretto/Zooloretto, Glux, and Happy Salmon.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2018, 09:02:14 PM »

I just decided to spend the $44 and buy it on Amazon. I can see that the price was $40 for the last several months and just jumped up in the last few days. Oh well.

I also found someone on Craigslist selling several board games as a lot for $40. Pandemic, Risk Godstorm, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, and a D&D starter set. Pandemic looked interesting (though might need to wait a couple of years for the kids to play it) and by itself would be $35 +/- new. I've got to drive about 45 minutes out of my way home to pick them up but it seems like an excellent deal.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:37 PM »
Sons of Anarchy board game is $15 on Amazon right now (with Prime). Normally $50.

A great game of backstabbing and wheeling-n-dealing. Being a fan of the show is not required.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

I just decided to spend the $44 and buy it on Amazon. I can see that the price was $40 for the last several months and just jumped up in the last few days. Oh well.

I also found someone on Craigslist selling several board games as a lot for $40. Pandemic, Risk Godstorm, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, and a D&D starter set. Pandemic looked interesting (though might need to wait a couple of years for the kids to play it) and by itself would be $35 +/- new. I've got to drive about 45 minutes out of my way home to pick them up but it seems like an excellent deal.

That's a decent haul, just know that the two Forbidden games are updates on Pandemic itself (I'd still buy them all for $40).

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
Forbidden desert is nothing like pandemic. Forbidden Island on the other hand is a simplified version of pandemic

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2018, 06:17:18 AM »
Not a board game, but i love Tichu. It's Chinese spades, but the differences make it really stand out.

As for board games, some of my favorites are:

Imperial (only with 3 or 6 players)
Ora et Labora (same designer as Agricola, but a much better game imo)
Samurai (simple rules, deep strategy)
Fury of Dracula (semi-cooperative)
Camel Up (supports up to 8 players)
Scythe

It's really the golden age of board games. If only i had more friends! :D

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:43 PM »
Not a board game, but i love Tichu. It's Chinese spades, but the differences make it really stand out.

Scythe

I might've mentioned this upthread, but I've been interested in Agricola for some time.  I know some prefer Le Havre, but I haven't heard of Ora et Labora before.  Any thoughts on the comparison of those three?

I just got Scythe as a birthday gift from my brother last week.  I haven't had a chance to play yet because we were going on a trip the next day, but I'm stoked on it.  He got it brand new for only 20 bucks because one bottom corner of the box is pretty banged up.  Hearing that made the mustache in me proud!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »

Scythe

I might've mentioned this upthread, but I've been interested in Agricola for some time.  I know some prefer Le Havre, but I haven't heard of Ora et Labora before.  Any thoughts on the comparison of those three?

I just got Scythe as a birthday gift from my brother last week.  I haven't had a chance to play yet because we were going on a trip the next day, but I'm stoked on it.  He got it brand new for only 20 bucks because one bottom corner of the box is pretty banged up.  Hearing that made the mustache in me proud!

Just to mix things up more:  I have played Le Havre and did prefer it to Agricola, but an Uwe game that I like even better is Glass Road.  Complexity and all the other good Uwe stuff, all in about an hour!  That's right, even with teaching it can be played in an hour.  And it is satisfying.

I still don't get all the love for Scythe.  I've given it two chances and it severely disappointed both times.

ReginaD.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Better finished than perfect.
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2018, 04:53:31 AM »
My personal favorite is Dixit. Relaxing, creative and kind of a calming one.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
Got my wife Caverna for her birthday, we played it many times, just us and with friends, since then.
It addresses both the two things that always annoyed me about Agricola - the random element of the cards, and the accelerating years with fewer seasons over time.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »

I have not played much of Le Havre (i only have the iPad version and i don't really play board games on iPad). Ora et Labora is similar to Agricola in play (it's a worker-placement style game), but instead of building a farm, you're building a monastery and village. The theme really shines and there are multiple play modes (French and Irish) that change the gameplay in thoughtful and interesting ways. It also doesn't overwhelm the way Agricola does (once you get beyond the family game). The only drawbacks are a) I believe Ora is out of print and b) the components in the version i have are printed on poor-ish quality materials.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2018, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm a Uwe fan, for what it's worth. My favorite Uwe game is Ora & Labora for a few reasons. 1) I like the spatial aspect, moreso the buying of more plots of land than the placement of settlements to maximize points. 2) I like the resource wheel. Keeps things moving faster. 3) I like the variety of the upgrade paths and to some extent the two different sets of advanced goods (although I prefer France... I think). Ora & Labora is one of my few BGG 10s.

On the other hand, my wife's favorite is Le Havre. I think it plays a little faster and has a more focused set of goods. It's fun upgrading your fleet of ships and/or putting together a collection of compatible buildings for extra bonuses. I definitely enjoy it as well.

We both like Agricola, although I'd argue that it's biggest strength is the variety that the minor improvement and occupation cards bring. If you don't like dealing with that randomness, I'd stick to one of the previous two or Caverna (which is essentially Agricola 2.0).

I haven't tried Glass Road or Patchwork, nor Feast for Odin or Fields of Arle. Definitely interested in trying those last two, but life has precluded those opportunities for now. Hopefully soon!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
@Scortius
I'm so glad we have Agricola. So many of the games you listed are quite expensive (out of print), though I imagine you can do... a little better if you can find people selling them in decent condition. (Seems most "game boarders" are game hoarders though...)

I enjoy Caverna: Cave to Cave (since we mostly play 2 player) and I think I'd LOVE Caverna, but I rarely see it for less than $80...

The most we've paid for a game was when my wife got me Scythe for Christmas. And it is a game we really like, though I don't know if we like it enough for the price. We certainly haven't played it enough yet to justify it!

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »
Yes, Uwe big box games are not the cheapest =(, although you'll immediately understand the price point when you try and lift Caverna up. The good news is that there are a good number of similar worker placement eco-engine games that can be had for cheaper. I've mentioned before that I love Keyflower, though it's still 'not cheap' (better than Agricola or Caverna though). Caylus is excellent and quite reasonably priced.  I would also strongly recommend both Castles of Burgundy and Puerto Rico if you haven't tried them yet. Both are affordable and great games. Lords of Waterdeep is a popular entry-level worker placement game, but I would recommend the others over it.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »
Regarding price, put camelcamelcamel pricewatches on Amazon. I have bought most of my recent games this way, they reasonably frequently do 40% off sales on various board games.

It helps to get a feel for historical prices (at least on Amazon) too. The extension shows a graph over time.

For example @neo von retorch caverna has hit ~$50 twice in the past year on Amazon: