Author Topic: What are your favorite board games?  (Read 50515 times)

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What are your favorite board games?
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
My favorites at the moment:

1.  Terraforming Mars.  Medium-weight Euro with a ton of replayability.  Plays fast with multiple paths to victory.

2.  Street Masters.  The board game version of Double Dragon, Final Fight, and every other 80s-video game beat-em-up.  Delightfully corny.

3.  Seal Team Flix.  A tactical dexterity game of special ops forces breaking down doors and shooting bad guys with little disks that you have to flick across the table to hit targets.

4. Cosmic Encounter.  The venerable classic of wheeling and dealing.

5. Deep Sea Adventure.  A little push-your-luck game of diving for treasure with limited air.  Simple with lovely opportunities to screw your opponents.

6. Twilight Struggle.  A tense and gripping game about the Cold War. 

7. Puerto Rico.  After all these years, still not tired of it.  A modern classic.

8. Railways of the World.  Ticket to Ride is too lightweight for my tastes; the 18XX games are too heavy.  ROTW is the Goldilocks of rail games and looks great.

nkt0

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: August 13, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »
1.  Terraforming Mars.  Medium-weight Euro with a ton of replayability.  Plays fast with multiple paths to victory.

I've played this one a few times, but i don't like how the corporations telegraph your in-game goals. I prefer it without the corporation cards.

6. Twilight Struggle.  A tense and gripping game about the Cold War. 

Great game. Pretty hardcore and long, but totally worth it if you're a cold war nerd.

7. Puerto Rico.  After all these years, still not tired of it.  A modern classic.

Agreed.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »

I've played this one a few times, but i don't like how the corporations telegraph your in-game goals. I prefer it without the corporation cards.

Yeah, I think that's valid, but I share the common opinion that the corporate era is easier for beginners, since without them the options can be overwhelming.  With experienced players I like the base game -- it's a lot shorter, as a bonus.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2018, 01:55:14 AM »
Following my Pandemic Legacy confession / facepunch; I am now loving Gloomhaven. It's pricey (around £100 or $140, but got it with a discount code), but HUGE. Over 100 levels, some can be replayed, each takes around an hour. Co-op (with individual secret goals), D&D style, doesn't require a DM or significant setup - uses cards to simplify and fast-track major/minor actions. Everything you need is in the box - no need to buy additional figures or expansions. It has nice mechanisms to allow players/characters to drop in and out of the campaign.

Season 3 of Pandemic Legacy has been announced, but no release date yet.

nkt0

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2018, 05:58:52 AM »
Played a new one (to me) over the weekend: Everdell. It's a Lords-of-Waterdeep-/Agricola-like worker-placement game with a very cute and fun theme—forest creatures. But it's also a serious game. Very enjoyable in that genre.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
I just discovered a really intuitive 2-player deckbuilding game: Star Realms. It scratches that Dominion/Ascension itches with just 2 players and 15-20 minutes.

Best part: I grabbed a used copy (the game isn't big) for just $5!

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »
Still like the oldies,
Monopoly
Clue
Trivia Pursuit
Battle Ship

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
Run, do not walk, away from the Star Realms App. It's fantastic. Your phone will swallow you whole though.

I just discovered a really intuitive 2-player deckbuilding game: Star Realms. It scratches that Dominion/Ascension itches with just 2 players and 15-20 minutes.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »

I consider myself a competitive board gamer in that I like optimizing strategies and winning.  I win Dominion about half the time in our regular having group and Terra Mystical probably 75% (those are my two best games so I'll use them to humble brag about).  However, I have never once won Star Realms.  I've played it well over 50 times now with a variety of people and not once.  It's become a running joke.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2018, 09:25:11 AM »

I consider myself a competitive board gamer in that I like optimizing strategies and winning.  I win Dominion about half the time in our regular having group and Terra Mystical probably 75% (those are my two best games so I'll use them to humble brag about).  However, I have never once won Star Realms.  I've played it well over 50 times now with a variety of people and not once.  It's become a running joke.

Interesting! My spouse and I have a fair split of wins for Star Realms. When we play Dominion, it depends on the card set that's out.

smileyface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
I rarely post on the MMM Forum, but I stumbled upon this thread (and another one about board games) earlier in December when we were looking for a game to buy the kids as a joint Christmas gift.  We already have a decent collection of games and play as a family quite a bit.  Anyway, based on stuff I read on these threads, I settled on Pandemic because I wanted to add a co-op game to our collection.  WHAT A GREAT PURCHASE!  We played our first game last night.  The kids--  age 9 and 12-- caught on immediately and absolutely loved it.  They can't wait to play again, and the 12-year-old wants to have a few of his friends over to play it.  The thread also gave me lots of other game ideas I made notes on for future purchases.

Coincidentally, we had friends over for a game night on Friday, and they brought over Ticket to Ride:  Europe.  We own the American version and love it, so it was fun to learn this variation.  Still not sure how I feel about train stations, though.........