Author Topic: What are your favorite board games?  (Read 37457 times)

Scortius

• Bristles
Re: What are your favorite board games?
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
I was just reading on /r/boardgames a post about Inis. I hadn't heard of it but it seemed intriguing. Further examination showed that people either refer to it as their all-time favorite board game _ever_ or a complete waste of time not worth the cardboard it's printed on. I was wondering if anyone here had a chance to play it yet and what their thoughts were.

Big Boots Buddha

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
I was just reading on /r/boardgames a post about Inis. I hadn't heard of it but it seemed intriguing. Further examination showed that people either refer to it as their all-time favorite board game _ever_ or a complete waste of time not worth the cardboard it's printed on. I was wondering if anyone here had a chance to play it yet and what their thoughts were.

Im a big fan of Inis. It really needs 4 people the play well. Its a dudes on a map game but there is a lot of intrigue as the round goes on, as players can pass on their turn, waiting to see what others do first. There are 3 winning conditions that allow for different types of victories. Will be lots of fighting but peace can always be asked for and arranged between parties.

There is a clear issue of king attacking. When a person has the winning conditions they say so, and pass on their turn, then get a marker. If they still hold onto the winning condition at the end of the round when all have passed they win, so everyone attacks that person. Its a clever game and I play it with my group.

My group has a list of games we play, only these:

Keyflower
Troyes
Clans of Caledonia
Tigris and Euphrates
The Great Zimbabwe
Inis

and two more that are in flux right now.

I really like Inis and will play it happily. Being the Brenn or leader at the beginning is a big advantage but it usually works itself out since they are attacked more at the beginning.

Its a dudes on a map game, but there is a lot of deception and tactics, not just Risk and dice rolling, In fact all combat is done in a different way, where attacking results in a hit or the person has to give up a card that round (cards are actions). Very clever game, well designed.

My favorite game now is Keyflower and then perhaps Inis is in a tie with many of the others above.

lemonlyman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »
I like Inis too. I don't think it's the best, but it's fun and relatively quick. The art is amazing.

gentmach

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
Legendary : Marvel. (Cost a lot but I enjoy it.)
Warhammer 40k.

There are quite a few games I own but getting my friends together to play is like herding cats. Finally said "screw it" and started going to the hobby shop.

WH40k seems like the most anti-mustachian game you could pick, hahahaha.

I still have a lot of figures from my teenage years, but I have no painting ability whatsoever.

Yeah. I understand that. It feels like home though. I haven't bought models in a year or so because my backlog is so big. One day though.

Anyone here have suggestions on how to make game nights run smoothly? I'm making note cards for setting up games so everyone can do something without needing the main book.
Financial Independence Blog and Project Blog
www.gentlemanmachinist.com

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
Anyone here have suggestions on how to make game nights run smoothly? I'm making note cards for setting up games so everyone can do something without needing the main book.

What types of issues are you currently running into? How long and how many people are usually at your board game nights?

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »
Legendary : Marvel. (Cost a lot but I enjoy it.)
Warhammer 40k.

There are quite a few games I own but getting my friends together to play is like herding cats. Finally said "screw it" and started going to the hobby shop.

WH40k seems like the most anti-mustachian game you could pick, hahahaha.

I still have a lot of figures from my teenage years, but I have no painting ability whatsoever.

Yeah. I understand that. It feels like home though. I haven't bought models in a year or so because my backlog is so big. One day though.

I have a few quick rules of thumb for running larger groups. If it's small enough for a single game, you probably don't need a ton of advice so let's assume it's for multiple games.

- I try and have a selection of a limited number of light games and a limited number of medium games, and maybe one heavy game pre-selected.

- If large enough, I try and assign one regular as a 'leader' for each game.

- We order pizza and I don't really ask for suggestions, I just order a bunch otherwise it takes forever.

- Most important, when introducing a game to new players don't explain it, just call the first game a practice round and start immediately. Explain rules as necessary but only in context of when they apply.  Don't go through a summary of the rules beforehand, just start.

Penn42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
I started a little board game thread a while ago in General Discussion, and was directed here. Finally getting around to posting.  Was introduced to the world of Euro style board games 6 years ago by a friend (Catan of course).  Tabletop games continue to be a favorite pastime.

I've found that I really gravitate toward heavier games.  I like the challenge of figuring out the rules and how best to approach the game.  More strategy, less chance.  Playing lighter weight games is still lots of fun though and it gives me more options of people to play with.

Here's some of my favorite games.

Puerto Rico - Got this off CL for 10 bucks a couple years ago.  Probably my second most played game behind Catan.  I love a game where there are so many viable roads to victory.  I'm much better at 3 player than 4 or 5 though.

Twilight Struggle - Another CL score.  Mostly played with my brother.  It's just so stupidly intense and amazing.  It's like you're both drowning in lava while attempting to push the others head under.  So brutal. 

Terra Mystica - This is the newest game I've acquired.  Only played it a dozen times so far.  I'm in love.  Another game with many roads to victory.  I'm starting to learn that I shouldn't become addicted to the income favor tiles because you have to give up lots of points for not picking the point favor tiles.

Tales of the Arabian Nights - This is the one giant exception when it comes to my favorite games because there's absolutely zero strategy to it at all.  It's a choose your own adventure book in board game form.  The art is very pretty and it's always a hit even if it took some coaxing to get someone to play it. 

Super Motherload - This is a little known medium weight gem.  It's a deck builder meets tile layer.  You're mining for minerals on mars and using the profits from those minerals to hire more pilots (cards in your deck) to fly the ships you mine with.  It's a go-to for it's shorter play length and general level of fun.  Also my current favorite deck builder since I've played Dominion and it's expansions to death.

Those games would be my choices for any given game night.  Other games I'll gladly play are:

Dominion
Dead of Winter
Memoir '44 (haven't dipped my toes into some of the heavier war games, but I think Axis & Allies and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics will eventually enter my repertoire)
Stone Age
Catan (with a variation)

Games I'd like to try:

Agricola
Istanbul
Scythe

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
Puerto Rico - Got this off CL for 10 bucks a couple years ago.  Probably my second most played game behind Catan.  I love a game where there are so many viable roads to victory.  I'm much better at 3 player than 4 or 5 though.

Have you played this with only 2 people? Some boxes say 3-5, but you can just print the rules for 2. I heard it wasn't the best for 2 but I still considered getting it since the game shop has a copy for $30 because of damage on the box. Getting 3 isn't typically too difficult but I prefer to buy games with 2 minimums.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
I looooove Carcassonne.  Apparently the art for the newer editions is not as good though, which is disappointing— I love the art in my Rio Grande copy.  Also love Puerto Rico.  I’ve only played it a handful of times but will happily take it out if guests like complex board games.

My cousin just introduced us to Monopoly Deal.  It’s a card game loosely based on Monopoly concepts, but it only takes a few minutes to learn and the fun part is that there’s no change!  Everything’s in millions of dollars and say if you owe someone $3 million but only have a $10 million card then you have to give it to them.  Or if you run out of cash, you start paying in properties.  It’s a fun game that moves fast and only costs $5 to buy— totally worth it!

We just started Pandemic Legacy Season 1 a few weeks ago and got to the first card-tearing moment.  I handed it to my board game-loving friend, and he was like “I can’t do it”.  Then I gave it to his wife, and she couldn’t either.  I gave it to my husband (who is not so much into board games) and he casually tore it in half.  It is such an amazing game.  Can’t wait to play it again with them when we meet up in Feb!

By the way, Season 2 is on sale at Think Geek for $55.  Last week it was a steal at $45 and I picked up a copy along with some other crazy good board game deals.  $55 is still better than the price elsewhere though.
I have a new journal.

Penn42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »

Have you played this with only 2 people? Some boxes say 3-5, but you can just print the rules for 2. I heard it wasn't the best for 2 but I still considered getting it since the game shop has a copy for $30 because of damage on the box. Getting 3 isn't typically too difficult but I prefer to buy games with 2 minimums.

Unfortunately I'm no help here.   I'm aware there's a two player variation, but I've never tied it.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »
It's a little on the nose for this forum, but we love the 1973 edition of Payday.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »
I just got Star Trek Panic, which has turned out to be a lot of fun. It's a cooperative game where you play out the 5 year mission of the Enterprise from the original series. There are many possible missions and you really do have to plan your actions as a crew to keep the ship operational and achieve your goals.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:54 AM »
I just got Star Trek Panic, which has turned out to be a lot of fun. It's a cooperative game where you play out the 5 year mission of the Enterprise from the original series. There are many possible missions and you really do have to plan your actions as a crew to keep the ship operational and achieve your goals.

Have you tried Space Alert? If not, it might be another one you would enjoy. If you have, I'd be curious to hear how the two compare.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
@Penn42 from your list, I bet you would like Terraforming Mars!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2018, 12:14:23 AM »
Any of you on boardgamegeek?

Here is my current Top 10:

#1:    Istanbul
#2:    Caylus
#3:    Bootleggers
#4:    The Voyages of Marco Polo
#5:    Village
#6:    Power Grid
#7:    Lorenzo il Magnifico
#8:    Mechs vs. Minions
#9:    Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
#10: Airlines Europe

I did finally get a copy of The Pillars of the Earth, and Rajas of the Ganges.  There is a good chance one or both might end up on this list.
"Money often costs too much."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"My other vehicle is an IRA."

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »

Have you tried Space Alert? If not, it might be another one you would enjoy. If you have, I'd be curious to hear how the two compare.

We liked Space Alert, played a decent number of times before Pandemic took the place as defacto coop game.
Marginally related: I found Lovers in a Dangerous SpaceTime (video game, for the switch) felt very much like Space Alert, except in videogame format: you and 3 others are piloting a spaceship through fields of asteroids and hostile aliens, and there are more control stations than there are players - steering, navigation, 4 guns, a super gun, and a shield, so twice as many places needing control as people to man them.  Lots of changing positions and yelling and chaos.  But everything happens in real time, and there are no cards to mess with
Anything I've said here useful or interesting?  Find a lot more of my thoughts here: http://randomthoughts.fyi

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
I'm on BGG.  I commissioned a Mustachian microbadge but it's not popular.  Unsurprising considering the crazy amount of money people drop on games there.

Re: 2p Puerto Rico.  I've played 2p any number of times.  It's good although if it's just me and someone else, there are things I'd rather play.  Twilight Struggle, Hammer of the Scots, or others designed for 2p.

If you want the PR experience but primarily play 2p, check out San Juan.  It's the card game version but feels pretty similar.  Plays fast, scales from 2-4.  Came out in a 2nd edition a couple of years ago that folded in an expansion and made some tweaks for balance.

Currently I'm not in a regular board game group, but I am in an RPG one.  D&D 1e -- nothing more frugal than getting battered hardbacks from 1979 for $3 at the thrift store.  I don't think the rules have aged well, but I'm having fun, so there you go.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »
I'm on BGG.  I commissioned a Mustachian microbadge but it's not popular.  Unsurprising considering the crazy amount of money people drop on games there.

I didn't know it existed! Purchased!

TheWifeHalf

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
Bob Ross: The Art of Chill

My oldest son, 32, brought this over one night and I guess the reason it's my favorite is because of the way he actually acted like he was having fun.
I guess Bob Ross is a much bigger deal now that he's dead. My son, when he was 1-2 loved to sit on the rocking chair, rock, and watch Bob Ross!!!!!!! 

This man was my babysitter.

I told him it's probably best if he doesn't tell the people he works with. His comment, "That's where I got it!"

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »

I didn't know it existed! Purchased!

How does one even go about searching for microbadges there?  I still have 2 promo codes left for a free one; seems like a Mustachian thing to do.

Penn42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
@Penn42 from your list, I bet you would like Terraforming Mars!

I've heard of that one, but don't know much other than it's name.  I'll add it to the list, thanks!

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
How does one even go about searching for microbadges there?  I still have 2 promo codes left for a free one; seems like a Mustachian thing to do.

My Geek ->
Profile ->
Buy microbadges (middle of the page, near the avatar)

That’ll take you to the main MB page, with a search bar at the top.

Or here’s the link:
https://rpggeek.com/microbadge/42128

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at some reviews and maybe a playthrough video and see what it's like.

Star Trek Panic is based on the game Castle Panic, if you are familiar with that one.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »

My Geek ->
Profile ->
Buy microbadges (middle of the page, near the avatar)

That’ll take you to the main MB page, with a search bar at the top.

Or here’s the link:
https://rpggeek.com/microbadge/42128

Thanks!  Done!  Now there are three of us there that own it.

patriciawest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »
Among all the board games, i have loved playing Trivial Pursuit and The Logo Board Game.