Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762372 times)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #650 on: January 16, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
IDK why I am doing this but I am reading Fly Lady's book, Sink Reflections.  There is too much God in it for a book on cleaning and organizing.  And I don't buy into you are meant to serve your family by having an organized and clean house.  She doesn't believe in enforcing chores, for example.  Supposedly, if you give in and do everything, even if you work, everyone will notice and start naturally copying your efforts. And you will all be happier.  I don't think she's met any tweens or teens to learn this will never happen and if your kids find out about the strategy of you doing everything and then they will want to help, they will laugh you out of your house.  One woman was so glad she re-claimed everything because now her teenage DD hugs her.  Well, duh, a hug is the least you can do for someone who does absolutely everything for you. 

give me back Mari Kondo's socks with feelings.  Actually, there is some good organizing advice in this book so I'll finish it and remain one of her "Flybabies" until the book is over.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #651 on: January 16, 2016, 06:30:09 PM »
Cat Sense ("How the New Feline Sciene Can Make You a Better Friend To Your Pet") by John Bradshaw. I've only just started reading it and the first chapter at least is a history of feline domestication and what archeological evidence there is to support the various theories. I assume it will get into pet cat behaviour later on in the book.

A few hours after I posted this, I had the book next to me on the couch. One of my cats decided to curl up next to me ON THE BOOK. Can't have been comfortable because it's hardcover.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #652 on: January 17, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »
This morning on my four-hour flight I read two thirds of More Money Than God, a book about hedge funds that's more in the vein of a Liar's Poker biography of some interesting folks than a Random Walk Down Wall Street/Stocks for the Long Run argument for an investment philosophy.

What More Money does VERY well is summarize the early history of HF going back to the fifties, which I had been totally ignorant of until now. I had heard of Long Term Capital Management and knew it wasn't literally the first but thought it was a relatively early one. Nope - hedge funds were already four decades old at that point! If you're interested in LTCM itself you'd be better served by When Genius Failed, as More Money's coverage of LTCM is pretty abbreviated and offers no analysis or sources not in When Genius Failed. Still, overall I'm really enjoying it - it's very lively and readable as long as you have a bit of finance background (or can cover for no finance background with a willingness to google).

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #653 on: January 17, 2016, 10:45:17 AM »
I'm sad to say I've had my kindle fire for over a year now and I JUST figured out how to use the overdrive thingy from the library...

(In my pitiful defense, I had tried at one point, but the app just kept loading.  I didn't know you could do it over the web as well!)

Also, I have a library card from my hometown and my boyfriend's card from where we live now, double score!

This list will come in very handy now...

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: January 17, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #655 on: January 18, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »
Sugar Salt Fat - Michael Moss‎

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: January 19, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
For pleasure:  All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

For professional development:  Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #657 on: January 19, 2016, 03:25:05 AM »
Just finished The Conservative Heart by Arthur C. Brooks.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #658 on: January 19, 2016, 05:18:25 AM »
"City on Fire"  New York in the 1970s.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #659 on: January 19, 2016, 06:20:57 AM »
I hope I'm not derailing but I need to ask you... Do you ever feel like you HAVE to finish a book you bought or someone gave you? 

I never not finished a book until I got sick, I read 2-3 a week and it was just a thing, I always finished.   Now memory and comprehension have slowed my roll to a few books a month even though I am on disability and have the time to read more, it takes me forever now.  Anyway, after the neuro stuff made reading harder, I now freely allow myself to not finish something and find something better.  But I don't buy books, I'm a library fiend so this costs me nothing. 

I rarely if ever, don't complete a movie in a theater.  But I walked out of Boyhood, a movie I should've loved (director, premise, actors) because I hated it. I may try that one again, though. 

I just finished Black Out: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget.  meh but the author wrote well and it left me glad I do not deal with addiction
You should try borrowing audiobooks from the library. it may be less taxing for you.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #660 on: January 19, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Punk Rock Blitzkrieg: My Life as a Ramone by Marky Ramone

One of my favorite bands.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: January 19, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »
Also dis

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #662 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
You finish A History of Western Philosophy?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
I hate to admit- I didn't really enjoy Naomi Novik's Temeraire, and don't plan to continue the series =o Everyone really seems to love it and calls it a "page turner"... it felt like it drug on to me! I'm a bit sad because I loved Uprooted so much, but there you have it.

Now to decide what to read next, since I won't be doing a whole series. I have lots on my kindle and on my "to read" list at the library- a good problem to have!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: January 19, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
You finish A History of Western Philosophy?
lolno
Twerkin on it

surething22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
I didn't love it, parts about SpaceX were very long and far too technical for me. Learning about his mindset and personality through his background was really neat and well written, though.

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
This one was pretty good, although he's hashed over some of the research already in his stand-up routines and the Netflix Series Master of None. If you're a fan of Aziz, you might enjoy this, but find it redundant. My friend recently did the audiobook and really enjoyed it.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #666 on: January 19, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »

You should try borrowing audiobooks from the library. it may be less taxing for you.

[/quote]

I used to listen to them in the car allay as I drove from patient to patient.  I'm not good at sitting still and just listening in the house. And I want to keep reading in the hopes that makes things better. But I was thinking the other day that Podcasts or audio books would be good to listen to when trying to sleep

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #667 on: January 22, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
I just finished How Not to Die by Dr. Gregor.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #668 on: January 24, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
Working on American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I kept reading the title on the forums, and found it on overdrive.

I love love love love Neverwhere.  I'm surprised I hadn't read this yet.

Thinking about the road trips in American Gods, I'm remembering Blue Highways, by William Least Heat Moon.  Great freaking book.  A brick, for sure.  Plus, his name is fun to say :)

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #669 on: January 24, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America, by Thomas King. The writer is knowledgeable, opinionated, sometimes wickedly funny, and includes his personal experience as a Native American in the US and Canada. I am reading it for a book club discussion that is being led by the United Church's representative in trying to achieve reconciliation regarding residential schools. 

I started it the same day as the shooting in LaLoche. That's a place I used to go to work frequently and I know many people there. It is a place that has suffered terribly from the history that King describes. A good time to learn more about the First Nations perspective.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #670 on: January 24, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
Working on American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I kept reading the title on the forums, and found it on overdrive.

That's a good one.  Shadow's badass.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Astreja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
Currently I'm working on The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and Mastery by Robert Greene.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #672 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:50 PM »
Mary Balogh trashy romance novel

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #673 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
I read "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir. Holy cow guys! I could not put it down. If you're a YA lit fan, and enjoy the dystopian world/brutality/competition of things like Hunger Games or Maze Runner, then you will adore this.

I will say though, maybe wait until August for the next book to come out before you read it. It will be an excruciating wait for me, I can just tell already.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #674 on: January 26, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
I read "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir. Holy cow guys! I could not put it down. If you're a YA lit fan, and enjoy the dystopian world/brutality/competition of things like Hunger Games or Maze Runner, then you will adore this.

I will say though, maybe wait until August for the next book to come out before you read it. It will be an excruciating wait for me, I can just tell already.

Is it gonna be a trilogy, or just the two, or what?

I try to wait til they're all out before reading a series, but sometimes I fail.  :)

Sounds awesome!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #675 on: January 26, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
I'm listening to some Pentatonix while I read this forum.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: January 26, 2016, 07:57:47 PM »

Is it gonna be a trilogy, or just the two, or what?

I try to wait til they're all out before reading a series, but sometimes I fail.  :)

Sounds awesome!

Not sure how many she plans. I'm hard pressed to see how she'll cover everything that's going to happen in one more book, but hard to say. My gut tells me 3 or 4 in total, but that 100% a guess.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #677 on: January 27, 2016, 02:22:39 AM »
Thanks.  I'll add it to my someday list for years from now then.  :)

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #678 on: January 29, 2016, 09:43:59 AM »
As per the recommendation of this thread, I just picked up 'The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Ruthfuss. It has hit just the right tone for these wintry nights!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: January 29, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
As per the recommendation of this thread, I just picked up 'The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Ruthfuss. It has hit just the right tone for these wintry nights!

Loved it. I'm currently on the second book now. The Wise Man's Fear

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #680 on: January 29, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »

Loved it. I'm currently on the second book now. The Wise Man's Fear

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear.  Really good.  The sad thing is I purchased The Name of the Wind about 5 years ago, but didn't get around to reading until a few months ago.  Once I finished that I burned through The Wise Man's Fear.  Now to wait for the 3rd book.  Has anyone read The Slow Regard of Silent Things?

For my next book, I will finally get around to reading A Dance with Dragons.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #681 on: January 29, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Oh man, Patrick Rothfuss is so gooooood. Good enough that I'm jealous of people who haven't read the series yet. Good enough that I would consider being part of a Stephen King Misery-esque kidnapping scheme. But I saw a New Years tweet from PR that book 3 will not be published in 2016. It made me sad.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is good as a character study, but it doesn't move the plot along.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
IDK how you people read books where they aren't all out.  :P

Name of the Wind has been on my list for YEARS.

If I read them too early, I have to reread them over each subsequent book release.  I did that for years, but now there just isn't enough time in my life left and too many good books left to justify that.

You're all making me very jealous though.

KES

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #683 on: February 01, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, pretty good.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #684 on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Reading "Austenland" by Shannon Hale.

Ugh.

I'm over half way through, and so far, it really lacks any redeeming qualities. Sheer cotton candy for the brain, and not in the fun Dresden sort of way, just in the trashy-feeling romance novel sort of way. Definitely not her best work. I'll stick with Goose Girl for Shannon Hale recommendations.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #685 on: February 01, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
Currently reading: "Suicide - the forever decision"

"For those thinking about suicide, and for those who know, love, or counsel them, this book discusses the social aspects of suicide, the right to die, anger, loneliness, depression, stress, hopelessness, drug and alcohol abuse, the consequences of a suicide attempt, and how to get help."

It's a very compassionate and well written book IMO and can potentially be a life saver for someone in crisis.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: February 01, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »

"For those thinking about suicide, and for those who know, love, or counsel them, this book discusses the social aspects of suicide, the right to die, anger, loneliness, depression, stress, hopelessness, drug and alcohol abuse, the consequences of a suicide attempt, and how to get help."

It's a very compassionate and well written book IMO and can potentially be a life saver for someone in crisis.

Is it applicable in any way for those dealing with grief from the suicide of a loved one?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: February 01, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »

Done
This is now one of my favorite books.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #688 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »
Currently reading Darknet by Matthew Mather. Technological thriller about the darknet and cryptocurrency. Really quick read, for me at least. I find while I like reading a lot of non-fiction, I can read fiction a LOT quicker most times. Hmmmmm.........

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #689 on: February 01, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »
Among Ten Thousand Things- has a catchy plot that draws me in so far

Mycalian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #690 on: February 02, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

I would love to read it just to understand what goes on in the minds of such people. No crisis here though.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #691 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:25 AM »
The Brothers:John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #692 on: February 03, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »

Is it applicable in any way for those dealing with grief from the suicide of a loved one?

Cockie - I think it could help those who had a loved one pass away from suicide. It explains very well the thoughts that are going through ones head when considering suicide. It's very very practical and open and honest. I can recommend it. Read it within 2 evenings.

Mycalian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #693 on: February 03, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »

Cockie - I think it could help those who had a loved one pass away from suicide. It explains very well the thoughts that are going through ones head when considering suicide. It's very very practical and open and honest. I can recommend it. Read it within 2 evenings.

I wonder how many pages that was. A 2 evenings read must be a short read.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #694 on: February 03, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »

I would love to read it just to understand what goes on in the minds of such people. No crisis here though.

I assume that many libraries have it. I bought it from amazon online for $2.99

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #695 on: February 03, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »

I wonder how many pages that was. A 2 evenings read must be a short read.

Let me see... 168 pages in the paperback version.
Not a big book, but a good one for those who are interested. :)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #696 on: February 03, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
American Blood by Ben Sanders.  I had no idea it was being made into a movie starring Bradley Cooper (although I do like to "cast" the roles as I read to help visualize, and I can see Bradley in this role). 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #697 on: February 04, 2016, 12:53:07 AM »
American Blood by Ben Sanders.  I had no idea it was being made into a movie starring Bradley Cooper (although I do like to "cast" the roles as I read to help visualize, and I can see Bradley in this role).

Will, that sounds cool.  I'm actually replying because I noticed one of the quotes in your signature -- "My other vehicle is an IRA."  That reminds me of my gymnastics teacher from when I was growing up -- nicest, coolest guy, but died very young from cancer.  Anyway, he drove a crappy little car that had a bumper sticker that said, "My other car is a Jaguar."  As a kid, I didn't understand what it really meant, and I always wondered why he would joke that he owned a wild cat.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #698 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »

Will, that sounds cool.  I'm actually replying because I noticed one of the quotes in your signature -- "My other vehicle is an IRA."  That reminds me of my gymnastics teacher from when I was growing up -- nicest, coolest guy, but died very young from cancer.  Anyway, he drove a crappy little car that had a bumper sticker that said, "My other car is a Jaguar."  As a kid, I didn't understand what it really meant, and I always wondered why he would joke that he owned a wild cat.

That would be pretty cool to own a wild cat, and the funny thing is: they were just showing the only known wild jaguar in the US on video on the news.  (But I'd still take an IRA over a Jaguar or a jaguar.)

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: February 04, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »

That would be pretty cool to own a wild cat, and the funny thing is: they were just showing the only known wild jaguar in the US on video on the news.

That would be because the jaguar is native to South & Central America, not North America.  The wildcat native to North America is called a cougar, puma or mountain lion; all names for the same species.  Cougars are not particularly rare in the USA, I had one caught on a game camera passing through my property just last year.