Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762486 times)

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1300 on: February 01, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
I just had the weird experience of reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan (not done yet, but enjoying so far) about emerging research on valuable uses of psychedelics, while listening to Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty, which is about a psychedelic "experiment" at a wellness resort gone very far awry.  I've loved Liane Moriarty for a long time - perfect potato chip novels - but she's getting a bit formulaic and I couldn't stop thinking about how much Michael Pollan and all the experts and researchers he talks to for the book would disapprove of the plot in Nine Perfect Strangers.  As if psychedelics didn't already have a bad enough name after the 60s!

I've heard Pollan interviewed a couple of times in podcasts (Kevin Rose, I think was most recent) re: this book. Very interesting.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1301 on: February 01, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »
I'm reading "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown. Just getting started on it.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1302 on: February 02, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »
I just finished The Library Book by Susan Orlean, and loved it. Currently trying to get into a book group selection of Milkman by Anna Burns. It's a slog.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1303 on: February 02, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
Currently working on I Heart My Little A-Holes. A book about being a parent...

I'm also reading All.Creatures Great and Small to DS.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1304 on: February 02, 2019, 03:10:19 PM »
The latest books I've read:-

1. Investing Demystified - a great concept but way too big for what it actually states.
2. Pharoah - Wilbur Smith - pretty ordinary. I wouldn't read this.
3. Vicious - V.E. Schwab - this was good.
4. Charm City/Baltimore Blues - Laura Lippman - these are both good. The same character in both stories. They are detective novels based on normal stuff.
5. Mind Prey/Winter Prey - John Sandford - these are good as well. The same character in both stories. They are detective novels focused on psychopaths.
6. Leviathan Wakes - this is good but I struggled to really get into it. I will try and read the series but I hope it gets a little more engrossing.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #1305 on: February 03, 2019, 02:23:33 PM »

Very cool.  I was raised on the Herriot books.  When I was little I thought every veterinarian I met must be so cool... but mostly they just stuck their hands up our cows backsides....haha

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1306 on: February 04, 2019, 04:40:05 AM »

Very cool.  I was raised on the Herriot books.  When I was little I thought every veterinarian I met must be so cool... but mostly they just stuck their hands up our cows backsides....haha

Yeah....I had kinda forgotten about that when we started it.  He's only 5, so I've been kind of sanitizing it as I go.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1307 on: February 04, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
Ron Chernow's 'Washington'

S.A. Chakrobaty's 'Kingdom of Copper'

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1308 on: February 04, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »

I really enjoyed Chernow's Alexander Hamilton bio.  How's the Washington one? 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1309 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »
"Bullshit Jobs" by David Gaeber

A must read for Mustachians, you can see why everyone being mustachian would not be a problem.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1310 on: February 08, 2019, 07:30:24 AM »

I really enjoyed Chernow's Alexander Hamilton bio.  How's the Washington one?

Very readable and interesting! I really feel sorry for the man, and grateful for all he went through during the Rev.  War.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1311 on: February 20, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
Just finished reading Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard whilst sitting on a beach in the Caribbean.  Best way to read that or any other book, IMO  : )

This was a last minute physical book that I grabbed off of my shelf as I finished packing for my vacation. I enjoyed it and now also have just pulled down Road Dogs which is a continuation of the story.  That one has also been on my shelf for quite a while.  My last library visit was unfruitful, so I went into the well of unread books in my personal collection. 

Also just finished The Grey Man by Mark Greaney, which was mildly entertaining though pretty far from realistic.

Still working my way through the last Churchill bio from Manchester, which is great.   

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1312 on: February 20, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »
Started "The Histories" by Herodotus.  I was expecting something heavy-going and a bit boring.  But I must say that the Tom Holland translation is not heavy at all.  Quite light.  And even a bit snarky with the humor. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1313 on: February 20, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »
reading "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing. So good so far!

I was reading "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver, and I've loved everything I've ever read of hers...but that book was terrible! I gave up about 5 chapters in.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1314 on: February 20, 2019, 08:53:44 PM »
reading "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing. So good so far!

I was reading "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver, and I've loved everything I've ever read of hers...but that book was terrible! I gave up about 5 chapters in.

Endurance is freaking awe inspiring.   Just jaw dropping what those guys went through.  I read it a decade ago, and then watched pbs documentaries about it and a few years ago they even had some guys attempt to recreate part of that expedition.   

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1315 on: February 20, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
I've just finished reading:-

1. Sapiens - this is fantastic. I loved it. It's non-fiction and it takes some time for me to read because I read a chapter or page here and there but it was great.
2. Suspect & Lost by Michael Robotham. These were both good. I finished these fairly quickly.

greysolive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1316 on: February 21, 2019, 09:14:24 AM »
Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings

Really enjoying it so far, but I just hate that I'm once again starting another epic fantasy series where I have no idea when the next book is going to come out.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1317 on: February 21, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »

1. Sapiens - this is fantastic. I loved it. It's non-fiction and it takes some time for me to read because I read a chapter or page here and there but it was great.
2. Suspect & Lost by Michael Robotham. These were both good. I finished these fairly quickly.

Sapiens was awesome - it really told a great overarching story of our species.  If you liked it, I'd recommend checking out Gleick's "The Information:  A History, a Theory, a Flood".  It takes the same approach but focuses on how we ended up in "The Information Age". 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1318 on: February 23, 2019, 11:20:43 PM »
Just finished reading Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard whilst sitting on a beach in the Caribbean.  Best way to read that or any other book, IMO  : )

I haven't read this, but the Soderbergh film adaptation is great, IMO.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1319 on: February 24, 2019, 12:45:04 AM »

Sapiens was awesome - it really told a great overarching story of our species.  If you liked it, I'd recommend checking out Gleick's "The Information:  A History, a Theory, a Flood".  It takes the same approach but focuses on how we ended up in "The Information Age".

I find myself recommending Sapiens to lots of people just because it gives such a great perspective to human existence. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1320 on: February 24, 2019, 02:38:02 AM »
Reading Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

My goal for this year is to buy no books (unless they are gifts, my nieces and nephews always get books for presents) so I have been getting a lot out of books out of the library, with an aim to read more books by female authors and by Indigenous authors

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1321 on: February 24, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »
Just finished "Thinking in Bets" by Annie Duke.

It explains some of the cognitive biases we have when making decisions and proposes another way to thinking about decision making. instead of "right" and "wrong" decisions, it shares the concept of thinking of decision making as
1. examining our set of beliefs (facts, assumptions, unknowns)
2. make a bet (ie informed decision based on being the most accurate facts we can gather)
3. planning for possible outcomes by painting out the scenarios and the probability of each scenario.
4. learning from the outcome and updating our beliefs

the key points seems to be that informed decision making leads to better long term outcomes, the best bets may not turn out successful which does not mean it was the wrong decision to have made based on what was known, people who carefully examine the scenarios and therefore learn from the outcomes and thinking process will fare better in the long run.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #1322 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:29 PM »
Jon Meacham's The Soul of America: the Battle for Our Better Angels.  A terrific walk through very troubled times in America, going back to the Civil War (with applications to our present troubled times, and hope for recovery).

Also just finished Priest of Bones by Peter McLean.  It reminded me a lot of The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I loved. Add in Game of Thrones, and that's THREE series where I'm waiting impatiently for the next book.  :-)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1323 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
I've been in a reading funk lately.  I've started Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, but seem to be having trouble getting into it.  I don't think it's the book, I just haven't wanted to read anything lately.  It sucks. 

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1324 on: March 06, 2019, 06:33:27 PM »
Started reading ‘The Vanishing American Adult’ by Nebraska senator Ben Sasse. I wasn’t sure whether it would be an interesting look at American society or a political manifesto full of conservative propaganda. I started yesterday and I’m already half way through, and will probably finish it by tomorrow. I don’t agree with everything he has said, but have found it to be a good and enjoyable read, and generally I agree with much of what he says about the decay of self-reliance in modern America.

If you like MMM philosophy, there’s a lot to like in this book. So far it’s been a pleasant surprise.

FreeFIRES

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1325 on: March 06, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
MMM, of course.   Almost finished with every article.

And when on the kindle, Midas Touch

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1326 on: March 06, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
Just finished "The Kiss Quotiont" by Helen Hoang, which I quite enjoyed and I am starting "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng

My books so far this year
  • A Good Year - Peter Mayle
  • Only in New York - Caroline Overington
  • The Wedding Date - Jasmine Guillory
  • Berlin Syndrome - Melanie Joosten
  • The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah
  • The Lightning Queen - Laura Resau
  • A Spark Of Light - Jodi Picoult
  • No Chopstick Required - Katrina Beikoff
  • Finding Audrey - Sophie Kinsella
  • The Valley of Amazement - Amy Tan
  • My Sister the serial Killer - Oyinkan Braithwaite
  • The Proposal - Jasmine Guillory
  • The Kiss Quotient - Helen Hoang

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1327 on: March 13, 2019, 02:10:43 PM »
Started reading ‘The Vanishing American Adult’ by Nebraska senator Ben Sasse. I wasn’t sure whether it would be an interesting look at American society or a political manifesto full of conservative propaganda. I started yesterday and I’m already half way through, and will probably finish it by tomorrow. I don’t agree with everything he has said, but have found it to be a good and enjoyable read, and generally I agree with much of what he says about the decay of self-reliance in modern America.

If you like MMM philosophy, there’s a lot to like in this book. So far it’s been a pleasant surprise.

I'm intrigued. Do you think it's closer to interesting look at American society or closer to a political manifesto full of conservative propaganda?

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1328 on: March 21, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
A collection of essays and stories by CS Lewis "Of Other Worlds"

A couple of quotes so far that i find very true:

"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally worth reading at the age of fifty."

In the context of reading and enjoying what we would call fantasy or science fiction, what some would label "books for children", he says
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1329 on: March 23, 2019, 07:09:46 AM »
I just finished "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan.

Excellent, and exactly a subject I've been wanting to learn more about. I enjoyed learning about the roles certain areas of the brain play in our standard experience of consciousness as well as experiments and studies on the use of psychedelics for addiction and depression. I'm eager to see where this goes in the next few years, and to hopefully participate. I've done an ayahuasca ceremony, but didn't experience much myself, certainly not anything near ego dissolution. But I'm very interested in that and up for trying some more!

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #1330 on: April 02, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »
Room, by Emma Donoghue

It was on my library's display for Irish authors for March.  Holy crap is it good!  Last night I stayed up way past bedtime getting through one of the good parts.  That hasn't happened to me in YEARS.  It felt great.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1331 on: April 02, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut - of all the classic novels I’ve read, this one is a little bit disappointing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:45:15 PM by tyort1 »

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1332 on: April 02, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »

Centennial by James Michener

Oof...this is a pretty good story, but some of the chapters are SO detailed and drawn out. And I usually love detail oriented books! This is a whole new level. Also it's nearly 1000 pages so I'll be chipping away for a while.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1333 on: April 09, 2019, 11:15:26 PM »
Ripper by Isabel Allende. So awful. So formulaic and overwrought.  It was an audiobook and I also didn't like the reader.

I thought I had heard Allende was a great novelist, and I was intrigued by her relationship to Salvador Allende. I saw her speak at a fundraising gala last year and was further intrigued, just now getting a chance to read something by her. I guess it was a poor choice, though it was so bad I'm not sure I can get up the gumption to try anything else by her.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1334 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »
Ripper by Isabel Allende. So awful. So formulaic and overwrought.  It was an audiobook and I also didn't like the reader.

I thought I had heard Allende was a great novelist, and I was intrigued by her relationship to Salvador Allende. I saw her speak at a fundraising gala last year and was further intrigued, just now getting a chance to read something by her. I guess it was a poor choice, though it was so bad I'm not sure I can get up the gumption to try anything else by her.

That's kind of how I felt about Slaughterhouse Five and Cather in the Rye.  Some OK ideas in the books, but the execution was just mediocre.  Basically written at a journalist level.  Or maybe just written for high schoolers/college kids?  Dunno.  But reading them as an adult was.... underwhelming.  Which is too bad, I was really hoping to be blown away by them (like I was with Ulysses, Catch 22, Brave New World, etc...).

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1335 on: April 11, 2019, 10:28:45 PM »
I decided to use 2019 to finish some book series that I started, but never got around to completing. To that end, I read Northern Lights (Golden Compass) a couple weeks ago, finished The Subtle Knife yesterday, and am started on The Amber Spyglass. While reading I heard that BBC/HBO are coming out with a new mini-series remake of the entire trilogy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials_(TV_series)), which could be good!

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1336 on: April 12, 2019, 07:33:51 AM »
I decided to use 2019 to finish some book series that I started, but never got around to completing. To that end, I read Northern Lights (Golden Compass) a couple weeks ago, finished The Subtle Knife yesterday, and am started on The Amber Spyglass. While reading I heard that BBC/HBO are coming out with a new mini-series remake of the entire trilogy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials_(TV_series)), which could be good!

These are probably my favorite book series, ever. I'm excited for the BBC show! I never saw the movie they made of the Golden Compass because I heard really bad things.

He released La Belle Sauvage a year or two ago, which is the first book of a planned companion trilogy called "The Book of Dust" - it's apparently going to take place before, during, and after the events of His Dark Materials, so he doesn't really refer to it as a prequel/sequel series. I enjoyed La Belle Sauvage quite a bit, but I think it'll have to wait until the other two come out to see how the trilogy as a whole stacks up to the first one.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2019, 07:07:50 PM »
The Final Empire - Part 1 of the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Great stuff! The pace is fast, the powers and world interesting and I've breezed through half the book in a day. I'm looking forward to the next two books! Found him after reading the last few books from the Wheel of Time.

For non-fiction, I'm reading "The Industries of the Future" by Alec Ross. We had the industrial and internet revolution. i'm curious about what's coming up and how that will affect the world i work, live and retire in as a middle aged person.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1338 on: April 14, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »

Centennial by James Michener

Oof...this is a pretty good story, but some of the chapters are SO detailed and drawn out. And I usually love detail oriented books! This is a whole new level. Also it's nearly 1000 pages so I'll be chipping away for a while.

I forgot about this author! He also has a book about Alaska that is very well done, if you're still in the mood for historical stuff after you finish Centennial.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1339 on: April 16, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
I just finished Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. Man it was poignant - one of my rare five star ratings.

I think it's easy to make the case that a war is bad with statistics or heavy handed imagery of genocides and bombed out city centers, but this book did so much more, showing how it impacts and dehumanizes everyone: occupiers, bystanders, freedom fighters. I often like books written from multiple perspectives but it's rare that one is makes such good use of them to build up a reader's understanding of an event from so many disparate pieces. This one is going to take me a long time to digest and to get over.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1340 on: April 22, 2019, 08:47:40 PM »
Just finished stephenson's The Rise and Fall of Dodo.  Pretty entertaining but certainly not my favorite of his ( this was a collaboration )

Bill Bryson's At Home, which is pretty interesting so far.

Finished Leonard's Road Dogs, which was frankly a disappointment.  GUess they can't all be winners.

Also almost finished with McChrystal's Team of Teams which is basically about how to organize large teams in a dynamic environment. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1341 on: April 27, 2019, 10:13:31 AM »
A biography of Isabella of Castile. She's the one who sent Columbus off to America, and supported the Spanish Inquisition.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1342 on: April 29, 2019, 07:57:09 AM »
Iron, Fire and Ice: The Real History that Inspired Game of Thrones by Ed West

If you like GoT, either as the HBO series or just the books, this is a very fun read.  About 30% done and definitely one of the best examples of truth is crazier than fiction that I've read in a while.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1343 on: April 29, 2019, 08:05:51 AM »
Janet Lowe - Warren Buffett Speaks : Wit and Wisdom from the World Greatest Investor.

Best quote for me :
“I’m the luckiest guy in the world in terms of what I do for a living. No one can tell me to do things I don’t believe in or things I think are stupid.”

The wonders of financial independence :)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1344 on: April 29, 2019, 08:08:25 AM »
Janet Lowe - Warren Buffett Speaks : Wit and Wisdom from the World Greatest Investor.

Best quote for me :
“I’m the luckiest guy in the world in terms of what I do for a living. No one can tell me to do things I don’t believe in or things I think are stupid.”

The wonders of financial independence :)
I love Buffett.  Another one I have heard him use, but no idea if in that book, is "Take the high road; it's far less crowded".

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1345 on: April 29, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »
I'm reading "The Beekeepers Lament."  Really interesting, and makes me want to cut down on my almond consumption.  Ugh, such a complicated issue.

The book is written to be engaging, and seems to be well-informed.  It focuses on a large bee operation that works between California, Idaho and the Dakotas.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1346 on: April 30, 2019, 04:51:33 AM »
I'm reading "The Beekeepers Lament."  Really interesting, and makes me want to cut down on my almond consumption.  Ugh, such a complicated issue.

The book is written to be engaging, and seems to be well-informed.  It focuses on a large bee operation that works between California, Idaho and the Dakotas.

I'll have to pick that one up.  A lot of the bees used to pollinate almonds are overwintered nearby.  I have a couple of hives, but I'm really more interested in eventually pursuing package and nuc sales as a side hustle than pollination contracts.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1347 on: April 30, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »
Almost done with The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.  It's been a bit disappointing.  He's wrong about so much.  The parts where he talks about the real key to avoiding unhappiness is to focus on your own reactions rather than the thing itself is quite good.  In that sense it comes very near to the ideas of Buddhism. 

But man he just goes on and on about how we'll be dead soon and everyone we know will be dead soon and everything we did and everything they did will disappear into nothing, so you might as well be a good person.  The problem is that the argument works exactly the same for hedonism as it does for stoicism. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:50:19 AM by tyort1 »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1348 on: April 30, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
Just read Metamorphoses (a play) by Mary Zimmerman. I saw the play over the weekend and immediately bought the script to read.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1349 on: July 02, 2019, 11:56:52 AM »
I am 100 pages into "The Executioner's Song," by Norman Mailer.

Never read Mailer before. The book is good. Will likely check out another of his later.