Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762500 times)

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1250 on: October 24, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
It's okay, I got reincarnated and I'll make different mistakes the second time. No cigars, for one...

Whats the alleged Lincoln quote, in response to complaints about Grant's drinking?  "Find out what he drinks and send a case of it to my other generals." 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1251 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:00 PM »
Reading "Winter: Notes from Montana" by Rick Bass

the more I read, the more it is becoming one of my new favorites!

patjk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1252 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
 I've recently been reading "Atomic Habits" by James Clear (from Jamesclear.com) and so far it's great. "The Power of Habit" was a fantastic book and it's always good to refresh building good habits and removing bad ones.

Some of the better books I've read in the last year:
- "Sapiens" by Harari, and his second book "Homo Deus", as well as his third "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" - all incredible and thought provoking
- "The Emerald Mile" on the fastest boat trip through the Grand Canyon in 1983, was a fun read after rafting there earlier this year
- "Enlightenment Now" by Pinker on the current state of the world - excellent read if you're pessimistic about the current state of affairs
- "The Everything Store" on Bezos and Amazon - it's incredible how in 1994 Bezos basically predicted what Amazon is today.

I use Goodreads.com to come up with a strategy of the next book to read as there is never enough time to read all the books I want to, so it seems these days every book I read changes how I think about the world.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1253 on: October 25, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
Right Now: Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage by Annette Lawrence Drew, Christopher Drew, and Sherry Sontag

It's very good.  Got it at a little free library in town.  Fun.  Makes me wish I could remember more about my Navy Days.

Next up: Harvard Business Review book on how to run meetings.  Should come tomorrow.  Our office is horrible at meetings. We have SEVERAL senior people who like to yell, and every meeting devolves into that.  NOBODY can control these meetings, and yet - I get pissed on by the boss (President) when it happens.  If they cannot respect EACH OTHER do you think they will listen to the only female in the room?  I think not.

I've had the best luck at a few meetings when I own the agenda and warn them at the start that I will cut them off.  There have to be more tips in this book.  If not, I should just hang it up because I'm tired of the bullshit.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1254 on: October 26, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
I'm reading "change your schedule, change your life" by Dr Suhas Kshirsagar.

some takeaways so far
1.   sleep before 1030am and wake before 6am
it is not how much you sleep, but when you sleep that helps your body to recover.
the body repairs itself from 10pm to 2am and sleep is most restful in this zone.

2.   do some exercises to wake your body up before breakfast.
this primes your body to wake up and training fasted helps the body to burn fat more easily.
working out at night will make it harder to get to sleep.

3.     have a breakfast, preferably salad and oats. eat the biggest meal by noon, have a light dinner by 7pm. no food after dinner.
regular meals help the digestive system to work better. and no food at night helps the system shut down in preparation to sleep.
it will be more difficult to sleep after a big meal.

4.   take your own pulse as a form of meditation to calm the mind, no electronics , tv or work after 9pm
this will prepare the mind and body to sleep.

i'm a week into this, my insomnia seems to be getting better and i'm waking rested without an alarm.
maybe this will work for some of you with sleep issues..

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1255 on: October 29, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
I envy you that you have time to read. Before, I often read books, now the number of books read has decreased to 1 per year.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1256 on: October 29, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
"The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse" by Louise Erdrich.  It was a last minute grab at Value Village to make up a 5 books for the price of 4 deal several years ago and I'm finally getting around to reading it, and others I was expecting to get rid of this coming spring at a garage sale, but it's unexpectedly good, and will likely be a keeper.  It's fiction about a woman who takes over a dead priest's identity in the 1930s and assumes his mission to minister to an Ojibwe nation in North Dakota.  Now she/he is coming to the end of life, so the dilemma is what to do - confess or not?  Don't know the outcome yet.  The story has other plots within it too, so will have to see how those resolve.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1257 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
Knocked off The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time over the weekend. 

Interesting.  A pretty quick read. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1258 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
"Murther and Walking Spirits" by Robertson Davies.  Good beginning, kind of a slog in the middle because he's so busy showing off his literary chops it gets in the way of the story.  Picks up at the end again though.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1259 on: November 14, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
A book about the Byzantine Empire.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #1260 on: November 14, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Do audiobooks count? If so, then I am finally getting around to "Your Money or Your Life", via audible. I couldn't help but pass up a free month with a few free book credits.

I finished "The Millionaire Next Door" earlier this week via the same method.

If I have to actually be READING something, then state tax articles. (Boo)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1261 on: November 15, 2018, 06:11:57 AM »
I picked up a book at the thrift store yesterday called In The Heart Of The Sea, about the whaleship Essex, which was a real ship that probably inspired Moby Dick. 

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1262 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
I picked up a book at the thrift store yesterday called In The Heart Of The Sea, about the whaleship Essex, which was a real ship that probably inspired Moby Dick.

Movie by the same name a couple years ago starring Thor.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1263 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir.   Pretty good but not as good as The Martian, of course. 

Now starting The Human Division by Scalzi. 

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #1264 on: November 15, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King.  Haven't picked up a Stephen King book in a long time.  Saw this at Sam's and thought, "What the heck!"  So far, it's pretty good but weird . . as you would expect.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1265 on: November 18, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
Just finished "Infinite Jest".  That was, uhm, intense.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1266 on: November 18, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »

But was it good?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1267 on: November 19, 2018, 12:48:00 AM »
Re-reading "East of Eden," the John Steinbeck classic.  It has been WAY too long since I read it at first.  So long ago that none of it is familiar to me (yet).

I am also reading "How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease" by Michael Greger, MD. 

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1268 on: November 19, 2018, 03:28:30 AM »
I've finished the following books recently:-

1. Past Tense - the latest Jack Reacher novel. I love all of his novels and this was just as good as the others but it feels a little bit like I've read it before.
2. Skyward- Brandon Sanderson. It was good. I reckon Sanderson is one of the best science fiction/fantasy writers out there.
3. In a house of lies - Ian Rankin. The latest Rebus novel. One of the best crime writers and Rebus is one of the best characters out there.
4. Michael Connelly - Dark Sacred Night. It was good like all his books.
5. The Outsider - Stephen King. Quality book.
6. Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions - Johann Hari. This was really good.
7. Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs - Johann Hari. This was fascinating. It's about the war on drugs and how it hasn't worked.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:55:35 PM by steveo »

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1269 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:49 AM »
There are a bunch of books on my shelf taunting me right now. I'm starting with Herman Hesse's Siddhartha.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1270 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »
I'm #483 on my library's list for Becoming by Michelle Obama.  Audiobook read by the author herself!  So looking forward to this - it sounds like it will be fun and fascinating.  My library got 100 audiobook licenses, so it will only be a couple months tops till I get it!  Unfortunately probably not in time for the long drives we'll be doing over the holidays, so my fiance won't get to join in the fun with me...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1271 on: November 19, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »

But was it good?

Excellent.  Although maybe less interesting to people who don’t have depressive or addictive issues.  But for me it was like hearing my own thought patterns and modes of thinking.  All from the perspective of someone waaaay smarter and more perceptive.  It was pretty awesome.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1272 on: November 20, 2018, 07:22:57 AM »

But was it good?

Excellent.  Although maybe less interesting to people who don’t have depressive or addictive issues.  But for me it was like hearing my own thought patterns and modes of thinking.  All from the perspective of someone waaaay smarter and more perceptive.  It was pretty awesome.

This is one of those books that lots of people want to read, or want to have read, but gets abandoned pretty frequently.   I may have to sample it and see how it goes. 

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1273 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »

But was it good?

This is one of those books that lots of people want to read, or want to have read, but gets abandoned pretty frequently.   I may have to sample it and see how it goes.

I have abandoned Infinite Jest three times now.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1274 on: November 21, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »

But was it good?

I read it once and quite liked it, but... it is a very immersive read, and takes some effort/concentration to get into. I think you have to be in a frame of mind to read that kind of book.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1275 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »

But was it good?

I read it once and quite liked it, but... it is a very immersive read, and takes some effort/concentration to get into. I think you have to be in a frame of mind to read that kind of book.

It's an impressive work of literature but also quite heavy lifting. I'm trying to build up my reading muscles again and trying to tackle Infinite Jest at this juncture would be setting myself up for failure. If anyone has any recommendations for short classics, send them my way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:57:23 AM by Crease »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1276 on: November 28, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
I'm reading a book on Venice.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1277 on: November 28, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
Just finished "The Year of Living Danishly" by Helen Russell. Becoming Danish is my recurrent daydream.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1278 on: December 15, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »

But was it good?

Another book I've found in that category is Confederacy of Dunces, which I have abandoned twice.  I tried to get through it again this year and got 2/3 of the way through and just wasn't interested.  It may be a great book but it just doesn't do it for me. 

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1279 on: December 15, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »

1. Past Tense - the latest Jack Reacher novel. I love all of his novels and this was just as good as the others but it feels a little bit like I've read it before.
2. Skyward- Brandon Sanderson. It was good. I reckon Sanderson is one of the best science fiction/fantasy writers out there.
3. In a house of lies - Ian Rankin. The latest Rebus novel. One of the best crime writers and Rebus is one of the best characters out there.
6. Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions - Johann Hari. This was really good.
7. Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs - Johann Hari. This was fascinating. It's about the war on drugs and how it hasn't worked.

I made a note of your Ian Rankin recommendation and just finished Knots and Crosses, which I believe was his first novel. Pretty good.   

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1280 on: December 15, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »

I made a note of your Ian Rankin recommendation and just finished Knots and Crosses, which I believe was his first novel. Pretty good.

I love those books. Read the whole series. Thanks for the response.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1281 on: December 16, 2018, 05:27:01 AM »
Currently reading The Fix by David Baldacci.

Also reading Way Station by Clifford D. Simak

Finished:
A Calculated Life by Ann Charnock
Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly
Past Tense by Lee Child
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
The Wrong Unit by Rob Dircks
The Belgariad by David Eddings (I've read this series every couple years since it originally came out).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1282 on: December 16, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
Recently finished I'll Be Gone in the Dark about the Golden State Killer.  I love true crime and this was especially fascinating since the GSK was caught soon after it was published.  Definitely had me googling and going down some internet rabbit holes for a day or two after.

The Power was very good, but a little...gimmicky?  Or too obvious at times?  Although at others pleasantly surprising.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1283 on: December 16, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
Since I won't be riding for several months, I've abandoned my horse training books and am doing some recreational reading, for which I prefer my Kindle/Kindle apps.

I think I got to about page 800 of Infinite Jest back in college.  Then it followed me around for a decade before I gave up and tossed it.  DH read it recently, so props to him for finishing it.  Doubt I ever will, honestly.

Right now I'm reading "Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?".  I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and think the question of why humans are so hasty to differentiate themselves from all other animals is pretty fascinating.  The author does most of his research with chimpanzees, so it's heavily weighted towards discussing their intelligence, but touches on cognition of other species as well.

Next up are "Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking:  A Memoir of Food and Longing," and "The Best Land Under Heaven:  The Donner Party in the Age of Manifest Destiny."  I heard a podcast/interview with the author of the latter book a year or so ago and it sounded fascinating.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #1284 on: December 27, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
Just finished several books on herbal medicine, the best of which was Alchemy of Herbs by Rosalee de la Foret.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1285 on: December 27, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
Currently on my 2nd time through the Aeneid.  First time was reading the Fagles translation, which made Virgil sound too much like Homer, IMO.  Now I'm reading the David Ferry translation and so far I'm liking it much better.

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1286 on: December 28, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »
I am rereading The Complete Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift As A Viable Alternative Lifestyle by Amy Dacyczyn as a refresher for the upcoming new year.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:01:59 AM by Dixie_Amazon »

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1287 on: December 28, 2018, 07:39:22 AM »
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture. I've been on a gardening kick (reading, not doing) since seeing Monty Don's Big Dreams Small Spaces on Netflix.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1288 on: December 28, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »
I just finished Scalzi's The Collapsing Empire which I think was quite enjoyable.  It's part of what will be a multi-book series, so I guess I'm committed now.  The second novel was published in October, so at least I can can proceed without delay (well, if the library has it yet...)

Here are a couple of other sci-fi trilogies that I've enjoyed in years past.  I recommend both for fans of the genre.

Mars Trilogy - Kim Stanley Robinson   Quite enjoyable 3 book series about the colonization of Mars.  I've read it a couple times. 
The Seafort Saga - David Feintuch   military sci-fi

I will say that I've enjoyed the use of my local library this year.  I confess that it had been many many years since I had used the library, preferring to purchase books in physical or E form.  Using the library has not only saved me around $100 but the due date also gets me to go ahead and read the book immediately rather than let it sit in the pile of other 'to be read later' books that I have previously acquired. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1289 on: January 03, 2019, 04:15:55 AM »
I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Recently re-read Jack Reacher #3.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1290 on: January 03, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
Currently reading Neil Patrick Harris' autobiography. It's light, charming and funny--a good winter read.

smileyface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1291 on: January 03, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
I was shopping our bookshelf for something to read, settled on The Magic of Math:  Solving for X and Figuring out Why by Arthur Benjamin.  DH read it a few years ago, but I never got around to it.  Fun read so far!  Even better, I've shown some of the cool math tricks and patterns in the book to my 12 year old son, who loves this kind of thing (I'd have him just read the book, but some chapters really do require a high school level background in math, and he's not there yet... besides, it's been fun for us to look it at and talk about it together)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1292 on: January 03, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
I'm reading "Becoming" by Michelle Obama.  Listening to it actually, which is nice since she narrates.  She's not a particularly talented narrator, but it is good to hear her story in her own voice.  And my god it's a good book!  She's a good writer and she is so relatable.  Somehow, even with things I shouldn't be able to relate to her on, like miscarriage and being a mother.  And she's so frank about things that people in general, and famous people especially, often don't talk about, like IVF, marriage counseling, how she handled Barack's smoking and other traits that didn't mesh well with her own.

I read "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn.  Nowhere near as good as Gone Girl.  Not recommended.

I also read "Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit and Sexy Until You're 80 and Beyond."  The book was super irritating for a reason that could easily have been fixed by a tweak to the title to tell me that I was not the intended audience for this book.  It's written for men.  One of the authors is constantly saying stuff like, "you're an old guy now," "you're a good guy," "us old men..." and recommending we not show off in front of the other men at the gym and how we should treat our wives, etc.  There is, of course, a woman-focused version.  And, of course, it *does* specify that it is for women in the title.  So silly me, I thought if the title *didn't specify* that meant it was generic, for all people!  But no, the default is male, and I guess I should have known right away that the one with the pink cover (yeah, it literally has a pink cover) was the one I'm supposed to read.  Sigh.  So yeah, other than that it was ok.  The doctor-author presented some of the exercise and nutrition biology in an interesting and different way that was helpful to consider.  Even though I eat well and am very active, I feel like my body is falling apart on me and I'm only 41.  So this gave me some optimism and reason to work harder.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1293 on: January 03, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »
I have two on the go.
 ~100 pgs remaining of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  It took me a while to get into the narrating style but am happy I stuck with it.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  Watched the movies, never read the books.  Figured they are light enough reading to do during lunch.

In the queue:

Fiction
The City of Brass (S. A. Chakraborty)
Vicious (V.E. Schwabb)

Non-fiction
Mugabe (Martin Meredith)
Kasztner’s Train (Anna Porter)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1294 on: January 03, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I'm not a huge fan of Trevor as the new The Daily Show host but I got this book for Christmas and finished it on the 26th, and I'm definitely not a speed reader, it was just that good.

I may be a little biased due to an interest in South African history but he's a good story teller and definitely has some stories to tell. I knew he came from poverty but I hadn't realized the extent of it and how recently he was still an unknown. He's come a long way in the last 10 years (which interestingly is not discussed in the book at all. There's very little mention of his becoming a comedian.)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1295 on: January 23, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. I was in the midst of the Wheel of Time series when Robert Jordan passed away and Sanderson was chosen to finish that series. I read everything of his that I could get my hands on. My favorite so far is The Way of Kings series...so amazing.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1296 on: January 23, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
Currently on my 2nd time through the Aeneid.  First time was reading the Fagles translation, which made Virgil sound too much like Homer, IMO.  Now I'm reading the David Ferry translation and so far I'm liking it much better.

Finished the Ferry translation and immediately started in on the Sarah Ruden translation.  Of the 3, I like hers the best.  It took me a little while to figure out why.  It's because her translation is line-for-line matching of the original latin, so her version is shorter, and also sounds more like actual poetry (ie, a bit terse and greater density of meaning). 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1297 on: January 23, 2019, 08:52:41 PM »
Next up are "Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking:  A Memoir of Food and Longing,"

Coming back to recommend this book!  Well written personalization of Soviet history. 

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1298 on: January 25, 2019, 07:41:05 AM »
Just finished Scalzi's The Consuming Fire, the second in his Interdependency series.  Quite good, I think. 

I'm about 300pp into Manchester's final Churchill bio, The Last Lion, which is excellent thus far.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1299 on: February 01, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
I just had the weird experience of reading How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan (not done yet, but enjoying so far) about emerging research on valuable uses of psychedelics, while listening to Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty, which is about a psychedelic "experiment" at a wellness resort gone very far awry.  I've loved Liane Moriarty for a long time - perfect potato chip novels - but she's getting a bit formulaic and I couldn't stop thinking about how much Michael Pollan and all the experts and researchers he talks to for the book would disapprove of the plot in Nine Perfect Strangers.  As if psychedelics didn't already have a bad enough name after the 60s!