Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762389 times)

C. K.

• Bristles
What are you READING right now?
« on: November 24, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Platform by Michael Hyatt

Adam Carolla's website.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
Adam Bradley & Andrew DuBois - the Anthology of Rap (slowly but surely)

various small/tiny house and modular home websites... thinking real hard about buying a small plot of land and building one next summer. Not being able to build or change anything in this apartment is killing me, plus it would have hella ROI

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Alternating between James McPherson's "Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution" and Mary Chesnut's Civil War diary

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
I just finished J.J. Luna's How To Be Invisible which is about keeping your personal information private.  In particular, how to keep your name out of as many records as possible and how to keep your home address completely unassociated with your name.

Nothing in the book is anything I would ever do but I can see how if you have a stalker ex or worked in any kind of controversial or powerful job they are really good ideas with a lot of actionable detail.  (The author himself spent some time as a spy in Franco's Spain.)

Certainly an interesting read in terms of how one normally thinks of interacting with the world.  You may think of yourself as living a low-profile life, but it is an open book to anyone who cares to read it.  Mustachians may avoid certain databases by not having a car or doing things like ordering pizza, but I didn't know about the controversy about a private company, Image Data, buying personal info from the DMV, funded by the Secret Service.  Or there is a lot of information about scams or "pretexts" PIs can use to track people down.  In general, it is a wake up call about how ridiculously difficult it is to maintain privacy.

Overall, maintaining your privacy is more expensive than not.  (The author is NOT advising on ways to avoid income tax or hide funds.)  I was often reminded of MMM's post, I don't remember the name exactly, but it might have been Get Rich With: Trust.  Most of us are not going to spend extra money to needlessly stay under the radar our whole lives just in case we are ever thrust in the spotlight by being falsely accused of murder or something.  The flip-side of MMM-optimism, however, might be that it's best to educate yourself so that you can competently respond to the situation if you ever do need to disappear.  Then you don't need to feel threatened or afraid if you ever turn whistleblower or accidentally cut off a Hell's Angel.

The author does espouse mustachianism at one point!  In order to avoid giving your social security number when renting an apartment, he says to pay 6 months in advance.  In response to the question of what to do if you don't have that kind of money, he says "if you are that broke" then you need to stop all non-essential payments and expenditures on everything, including selling anything expendable on a payment plan like furniture or a luxury car, until you have $5000.

There was one area where privacy might save you money which is if you have particularly expensive cars, like, antiques, and you've bought it as an LLC (which he suggests for everything you buy), when it comes time to sell, you just transfer the LLC to the buyer.  This means no transfer fees or sales taxes come into play because technically the ownership hasn't changed.  I'm assuming that for most cars, the cost of maintaining an LLC would outweigh sales cost.

Another book I'm reading is To Save Everything Click Here: The Folly of Technological Solutionism.  It's a very thoughtful book about how we talk about the role of technology and the underlying values beneath that discussion that most of us take for granted.  I would recommend it. 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Art of Happiness, Dalai Lama and Cutler
Quicksilver, Neal Stephenson

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
The MMM forums.

Sorry, I'll be good now. I'm reading 800 pages of HR textbooks in the next week and then testing out of a course for it. Pleasure reading is for December.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:17:24 AM »
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Re-launch series: Unity.

Jwilliamson22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:24:48 AM »
1946 edition of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

clarkm04

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
Reading Predictably Irrational.  Downloaded the library ebook version last week after the latest MMM post.  It's really good so far.

Investing vs. Speculation by Jack Bogle.  Also good.

New to MMM and taking more control over my finances and future, so I've been hitting investment books pretty hard (Random Walk, Bernstein, Bogle).

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
For college:
In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio.  (very good book that talks about structural poverty issues)

For fun:
Terminated by Rachel Caine
Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Rust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
Official (ISC)² Guide to the CISSP CBK

Trying to fill some gaps in my knowledge base around system security.  I've got a good handle on the operational aspects, the more technical side is where I'd like to learn more

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Just finished:

Enough by John C. Bogle

The Millionaire Next Door and
The Millionaire Woman Next Door
both by Stanley and Danko

Currently working my way through a series:
The Victorian and Edwardian Mysteries by Robin Paige (pseudonym for a husband and wife team)
12 books with a couple that solve a murder/crime, and usually includes real historical figures. Like it because I'm a Christie fan and has some of the same "flavor," and they're fun reads.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:46:16 PM by Frankies Girl »

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »
Grain Brain http://www.amazon.com/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Sugar--Your-Killers-ebook/dp/B00BAXFCPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385498506&sr=8-1&keywords=grain+brain

I'm particularly interested because I have had 3 close family member with Alzheimer and I have a gluten problem.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
Pound Foolish by Helanine Olen

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
Molecules of Murder by John Emsley.

Oh, and lots and lots of student papers.  Ugh.  In general I am learning interesting tidbits and enjoying these reports, but the pile is just too thick.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien and The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

My reading frequency is low enough and my reading speed is slow enough, that they will easily last me till April next year, sadly.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Just one evil act by Elizabeth George (the latest installment in the Lynley series), and I'm listening to Dan Brown's Inferno in the car.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »
I enjoy reading the free science fiction/speculative fiction books from Kindle. I basically inhale them. It's like junk food for my brain. <3

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »
Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson.  This book is going to have a major influence on my grocery shopping and gardening habits.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 05:30:10 AM »
Early Retirement Extreme - Jacob Fisker

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
The Engines of God - Jack McDevitt

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »
Miccolis, Asset Allocation for Dummies and Darst, The Little Book That Saves Your Assets: What the Rich Do to Stay Wealthy in Up and Down Markets

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
Bringing up boys, by James Dobson.

I have 2 boys (3yrs and 18months) and boy oh boy (pun intended) this book is off the wall. I made a promise to myself to actually finish a book (any book) This one is a bit much for me...but i must finish.

Recent books i've started but haven't finished...
Orange is the new black, by Pippy Whatersfuck
Think and grow rich, by Napolean Hill (same as pp) 1960s

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
1946 edition of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Me too. Interspersed with The Joy of Less, by Francine Jay.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
Now that my classes for the term are done I can read for fun again!  I'm about 3/4 through "Contagious", by Scott Sigler.  Alien epidemic horror fiction.  I'm trying to stretch it out because the 3rd in the series doesn't come out until the end of January, and then I'll have to wait a week or so after that to snag it from the friend who plans to buy it in hardcopy.  I also have a couple Neil Gaiman books lined up for when I finish it. 

In my non-fiction rotation, I'm reading "Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief," "Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids," and  (drumroll) "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »
Your Money or Your Life by Robin & Dominguez

MMMers kept mentioning it, so I felt compelled to check it out.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
The Last Eunuch of China: The Life of Sun Yaoting
* Bookmarking all the streets the book mentions (near my house in Beijing), may do some related filming/photographing in the neighborhood next spring

Various real estate sites for Greece, focused on Athens
Biggerpockets.com

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Carr-Lane Jig and Fixture Handbook

prosaic

• Stubble

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »
On to Resurrection by Steve Alten now.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
I just finished reading Ender's Game. I'll be going back to read the other Ender books at some point, but I've got either LOTR or this gem next.

avonlea

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 08:34:54 AM »
I just finished reading Ender's Game. I'll be going back to read the other Ender books at some point, but I've got either LOTR or this gem next.

Ooh!  Option #2 looks riveting.

mrsggrowsveg

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho for the second time

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
Reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.  I'm not a huge King fan, but I like time-travel books.  This one has some interesting twists so far.

elderflower100

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »
MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:44 AM »

Im just about to start Enders Game. It'll be my over christmas book, really looking forward to it. Anyone got any recommendations on post apocalyptic/zombie books?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 05:07:42 AM »
On The Beach is really good.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »

Im just about to start Enders Game. It'll be my over christmas book, really looking forward to it. Anyone got any recommendations on post apocalyptic/zombie books?

I'm reading World War Z by Max Brooks and it's pretty good.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
The MMM forums.

Rats!  I was going to say this!

I am currently reading "Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk" but I'm kind of weird.

I recently read "Pale Fire" by Nabokov, which I found fascinating!

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
On The Beach is really good.

Cheers grant i'll make a note of that, it sounds right up my street.

I'm reading World War Z by Max Brooks and it's pretty good.

I'll stick that on my wish list as well. I thought I'd read it but I haven't. I had it mixed up with the survival guide.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
On to "The Fall of Hyperion" now (Dan Simmons).

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller is quite good. Hemmingway meets post apocalyptic USA sort of book.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:11 AM »
The Power Of Starting Something Stupid, in the hope it'll kick me in the butt enough to get serious about a side business the coming year.

Kristin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »
Adam Bradley & Andrew DuBois - the Anthology of Rap (slowly but surely)

various small/tiny house and modular home websites... thinking real hard about buying a small plot of land and building one next summer. Not being able to build or change anything in this apartment is killing me, plus it would have hella ROI

I am also looking at plots of land and modular/small builders.  We recently downsized and bought a nice 3 bed/2 bath historic row home in the city.  It's super close to work and very efficient, but it's not our forever home.  I think we will probably be here for 5-7 years and it would make a great rental when it's time to move.  My only issues are no off-street parking, and I don't want to raise my future kids here in the middle of downtown with no yard to play in.
I am looking pretty far down the line, but I am torn between the idea of staying here long term until retirement and building a super small weekend cabin in the mountains (1 hour away) that could be our retirement home later.  Or if we should attempt to find a single family home that is still close to work that would provide the space for a 4 person family, yard, traditional neighborhood, etc.

Currently I am reading Dwell, Tiny House Blog, and there is this guy in upstate NY who builds new small energy-efficient homes that are designed to fit in wit the historic farm houses of the area.  It is way too far for us to move there, but he does gorgeous work and I really like the concept of his micro-cabins: www.thecatskillfarms.com

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Anyone got any recommendations on post apocalyptic/zombie books?

No zombies (well, not the traditional sort, anyway), but the first half-dozen of S.M. Stirling's "Dies The Fire" series are pretty good.  Even better, IMHO, is the connected inverse "Island in the Sea of Time".  (Connected in that the premise of the latter is that an 'Event' throws the island of Nantucket back to the Bronze Age, while the side effects basically kill off most technology in the modern world.  So you have one bunch trying to recreate enough tech to survive from a very small base, another bunch learning to survive without it,

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
Security Analysis : Sixth Edition by Benjamin Graham and David L. Dodd

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
Freedom  by Daniel Suarez

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
Walden, by Henry David Thoreau

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »
I got face paralysis for Christmas, so I spent three and a half hours last night reading the Lord of The Rings series in the ER (and three more getting told things I already know). I'm almost through Fellowship.