Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762382 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1000 on: November 04, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
I am a huge science fiction fan, what would you guys reccomend?
A lot ^^

Well, you just read about enders game (and the following books). If you are on Cyberpunk und philosophy, then Diamond Age from Stephenson. Nancy Kress' Beggars trilogy.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1001 on: November 04, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
I didn't know there was a Formic Wars series. I've probably read a dozen Enderverse books.

Mazer Rackham is baller. I hope they made him badass in the prequels.

The correct name for the series is "The First Formic War".  Books #1(Earth Unaware) and #2(Earth Afire) are copyright 2012 and 2013. So, I guess they were not on the bestseller list if you have not hear of them.

Mazer Rackham  is a serious badass in these books. No spoilers here :-)

The other cool part of this series is the description of families of Kiuper Belt miners. These are clans of people, mostly from the same region of earth (e.g Venezuela or Italy). Their customs and how they make sure that the do not in-breed, their trading and their ships all make for fascinating reading.

Overall, if you ever read the Enders game series and wondered how and when this conflict started, these would be good books to read.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: November 04, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
A lot ^^

Well, you just read about enders game (and the following books). If you are on Cyberpunk und philosophy, then Diamond Age from Stephenson. Nancy Kress' Beggars trilogy.

Thanks. I did try on Stephenson (Cryptonomicom sp??). Not sure where the sci-fi was. I rarely do not finish a book and this one was returned partially unread.  I will try Diamond Age and Beggars.

Cyberpunk: Did not really like it the first time I read it in the late 80's, Gibson's Neuromancer. But I think at this time, I might enjoy cyberpunk more.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1003 on: November 04, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
Card just released another Ender-verse novel Children of the Fleet.  I read it a couple of weeks ago (library!). 

Neal Stephenson's Seveneves is great.  I also am just about to finish a Stephenson collection of essays and interviews called "some remarks".  There's a lengthy story in it about laying some of the transoceanic cables in the late 90s that is pretty fascinating for an EE nerd such as myself.

Another scifi series that I recommend is David Feintuch's Seafort Saga novels (4). 

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is also great.  Though I am kind of stuck about halfway through his Aurora novel.

I'm also about 100 pages from finishing Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan. Was a fan of A Visit from the Goon Squad, although probably didn't deserve the Pulitzer. This is quite the follow-up. Set in WWII Brooklyn with a noirish feel to it.

I am reading this right now, barreling toward the finish line. Very different from Goon Squad and absolutely interesting. The amount of research that's gone into this book is incredible. Jennifer Egan can write.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: November 04, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »

Have you read Leckie's _Ancillary_ series?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1006 on: November 05, 2017, 04:36:00 AM »
The Grid: The Fraying Wires Between Americans and Our Energy Future
by Gretchen Bakke

How did you like this one? Seems like something I would like to read.
It is interesting and scary!  A very detailed history of how our grid was developed and the challenges we face trying to integrate more renewables into the system. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:33 AM »
I'm about 5 hours away from finishing A Memory of Light, the 14th (final) book of The Wheel of Time.  After all these years, I'm going to finally finish it!

And just in time for Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer to be released on 11/14!  For those not in the know, Oathbringer is book 3 of The Stormlight Archives, which is amazing.  Also, in case you don't know, the reason these two books relate is that Brandon Sanderson wrote the last 3 books of The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan's death.
I just finished rereading the entire series.  I really enjoyed the journey.  I had forgotten a great deal, but also enjoyed a lot of the foreshadowing in the early books that only made sense with the entire series in context.  Really a well done effort.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #1008 on: November 06, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »
Also have started "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.  About 80 pages in, seems interesting. It is a Hugo award winner, so I expect I will enjoy this book.
The Hyperion series is amazing.  It's one of those things that make me envy the person who is just getting into it, knowing what they have to look forward to. 

Have you read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman?  Or the Foundation series by Asimov? 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1009 on: November 06, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »

Have you read Leckie's _Ancillary_ series?

Seconding the recommendation. Ann Leckie is pretty great.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  Haven't read from the beginning for several years.  It's like chatting with an old friend.
I started doing the same last month.  On The Great Hunt now, but diverting to read Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson as my library hold came in.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: November 06, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to work thru the following list. Any more book suggestions are welcome

• Nancy Kress: Beggars trilogy
  • Stephenson: Diamond Age
  • David Feintuch: Seafort Saga
  • Neal Stephenson: Seveneves
  • Orson Scott Card :Children of the Fleet
  • Ann Leckie : _Ancillary_ series
  • Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time

Have you read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman?  Or the Foundation series by Asimov? 

I have read and liked Forever war. As far as Asimov goes, he is primarily responsible for my Sci-Fi Addiction :-) I have read all of his books multiple times.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is also great. 
Loved the first book (Red Mars?), ok middle book and disliked the third book. I could not believe the science that the terraforming of Mars would be done in one persons lifetime. Also, I vaguely remember some political agenda which rubbed me the wrong way. Long time since I read the series, maybe 15 years ago, so may have to revisit to see if my opinion is still the same.

Here are some of my favorites (each of them was read at least 5 times)
  • Heinlien: Starship Troopers
  • Scalzi: Old Mans War
  • Card: Enders Game
  • David Brin: Startide Rising
  • Asimov: Every book he wrote
  • Niven: Integral Tree
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:41:23 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1012 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
I'm reading "The Agony and the Ecstasy".  Just came back from a trip to Italy and became interested in the Michelangelo story. 

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
Finally getting around to reading The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life by JL Collins. I figure now that I'm in my 2nd-ish year of seriously saving for FI, I need to read through all the background material that many suggest.

So far this book has been great, although I'm only ~1/4th of the way through.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #1014 on: November 21, 2017, 01:09:54 AM »
The E Myth Revisited (1995) by Micheal E. Gerber.

It has some good points, but goes on and on about the same point, beating it to death. Add the fake business owner dialogue and it has me skimming at times. Still, it gave me a clear way to think about roles in a business. Glad I borrowed it for free from the library. ;)

Spiritual_Lobotomy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1015 on: November 21, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
Make Up Your Mind!: The Seven Building Blocks to Better Decisions by John D Arnold

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: November 27, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Great (free) short story by C. Stuart Hardwick. A strong female protagonist and a secret mission by the Soviet Union and the US during the peak of the cold war.

https://cstuarthardwick.com/sample/

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1017 on: November 27, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to work thru the following list. Any more book suggestions are welcome

I have read and liked Forever war. As far as Asimov goes, he is primarily responsible for my Sci-Fi Addiction :-) I have read all of his books multiple times.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is also great. 
Loved the first book (Red Mars?), ok middle book and disliked the third book. I could not believe the science that the terraforming of Mars would be done in one persons lifetime. Also, I vaguely remember some political agenda which rubbed me the wrong way. Long time since I read the series, maybe 15 years ago, so may have to revisit to see if my opinion is still the same.

Here are some of my favorites (each of them was read at least 5 times)
  • Heinlien: Starship Troopers
  • Scalzi: Old Mans War
  • Card: Enders Game
  • David Brin: Startide Rising
  • Asimov: Every book he wrote
  • Niven: Integral Tree

A year or so back I really liked Katherine Addison's "Goblin Emperor." The title is a bit misleading--it's really about the political intrigue in a court peopled mostly by a race called "elves" with some representation of a minority group called "goblins." The setting is steampunk if anything...I don't recall that there's much if any magic involved, and the feel is more Victorian than high medieval. I also read an excerpt of John Scalzi's new Collapsing Empire (it's the start of a new series, I think) and liked it a lot, although I haven't followed up by reading the whole thing.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1018 on: November 28, 2017, 05:10:24 AM »
Great (free) short story by C. Stuart Hardwick. A strong female protagonist and a secret mission by the Soviet Union and the US during the peak of the cold war.

Sounds interesting!

My adblock didn't like their embedded viewer, so I dug for the PDF. (Plus being able to read it separately instead of in their viewer, having to keep the website open, is much better.)

Here's a link to save anyone else the trouble:
https://cstuarthardwick.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FAM-web.pdf
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: November 28, 2017, 06:52:31 AM »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  Haven't read from the beginning for several years.  It's like chatting with an old friend.

I love this series. One of my brothers gave me the first book for my 14th birthday and I was hooked after that. Glad I took a break after the 11th book, however, and didn't read them all and finish up the series until it was actually all written. Until that point I'd been re-reading the whole series every time a new book came out.

I absolutely re-read Wheel of Time every time a new book came out starting after book six or something.  Time consuming, but worth it, especially since I found Brandon Sanderson because of the last three books.

I just finished re-reading the first two books of Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series because book three just came out (I'm waiting to get it either for Christmas or from the library, where I'm hold, like, 35 or something stupid ).  They are SO GOOD.  I like the rest of his books pretty well, but this series is just ridiculously well thought out.  And as much as I enjoyed Wheel of Time, I find Sanderson's characters far more fleshed out as actual people than Jordan's, much more distinct in their motivations, and more believable overall.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:57:55 AM by chaskavitch »

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1020 on: November 28, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »

Sounds interesting!

My adblock didn't like their embedded viewer, so I dug for the PDF. (Plus being able to read it separately instead of in their viewer, having to keep the website open, is much better.)

Here's a link to save anyone else the trouble:
https://cstuarthardwick.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FAM-web.pdf

Thanks ARS! I was having difficulty reading it on my tablet. This makes it much easier :D

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #1021 on: November 28, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.

It took a fellow member here to bring this up when they thought I got my logon name from the book. I had never heard of it. The book so far is really good.

- Simon was here

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: November 28, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
'The Forgotten Beasts of Eld.' by Patricia A. McKillip. It was such a pretty book. :)

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #1023 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:18 PM »
I also read an excerpt of John Scalzi's new Collapsing Empire (it's the start of a new series, I think) and liked it a lot, although I haven't followed up by reading the whole thing.

I read the first book (not sure if there are more yet).  It was pretty good.  I generally like all Scalzi' stuff.

I also generally like K.S. Robinson but I disliked the Mars series.  Poorly written characters (to many stereotypes).

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: November 29, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »

I find some of the writing style to be... tacky, but I also really enjoyed this book.

emduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1025 on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
I just finished Evicted by Matthew Desmond.  It follows several families and landlords in Milwaukee.  Really depressing read, but also really interesting. 

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #1026 on: November 29, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »

I find some of the writing style to be... tacky, but I also really enjoyed this book.

You might like a book I just read called Luna: New Moon  / Ian McDonald.

About a human civilization on the moon in the near future.  Sorta hard sci-fi.    He steal a few subplots from Heinlens Harsh Mistress.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: November 29, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific by Robert Kaplan.

Good rundown on the countries bordering the SCS, quick history of each and their claims.  Very interesting.

Now reading Artemis by Andy Weir (of Martian fame).  Very different story.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #1028 on: November 30, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »

I likened it to the author mashing up southern US English and New Zealand English or something. It was difficult to get a feel for, but the story is good.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
I'm limping along with the Inspector Gamache series of Quebec-set mysteries by Louise Penney. I'm on the fifth one now--it's probably just me, but I'm not loving them as much as I'm supposed to. These are extremely well-written and set in an interesting place, with an admirable sleuth. They are award winners, and rightly so. Start with the first one, "Still Life". Just because my brain doesn't seem to be on Louise Penney's wavelength doesn't mean you might not enjoy her books more than I do. I think P.D. James and Adam Dalgleish just spoiled me for everybody else.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1030 on: December 05, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »

Read "Beggars in Spain", part 1 of the Beggars triology. Great book. Loved Nancy Kress.  Have put on hold parts 2 and 3 . Also checked out 2 other Nancy Kress books from the library.

Hated David Feintuch!  I managed to read all three books, hoping that it would get better, but no luck.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1031 on: December 05, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
I’m trying to go back and read some of the books from middle school and high school that we’re supposed to be great but I didn’t particularly enjoy at the time. I’m curious if my view of them is changed by the last 15-20 years of personality changes and general maturing.

Right now I’m finishing up Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I read it in 8th grade and just flat out didn’t get it. I wasn’t interested in big philosophical questions, I didn’t have much knowledge of the history or even the basics tenets of Buddhism, and I didn’t like writing essays about books. English class was drudgery.  Now I get it. It’s a quick and highly enjoyable read. Not only do I see the parallels with the Buddha’s life, but I see the big concepts of Buddhist thought throughout the book in ways big and small.

I might try Catcher in the Rye next. That book annoyed me more than any other in school. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1032 on: December 05, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »
I’m trying to go back and read some of the books from middle school and high school that we’re supposed to be great but I didn’t particularly enjoy at the time. I’m curious if my view of them is changed by the last 15-20 years of personality changes and general maturing.

Right now I’m finishing up Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I read it in 8th grade and just flat out didn’t get it. I wasn’t interested in big philosophical questions, I didn’t have much knowledge of the history or even the basics tenets of Buddhism, and I didn’t like writing essays about books. English class was drudgery.  Now I get it. It’s a quick and highly enjoyable read. Not only do I see the parallels with the Buddha’s life, but I see the big concepts of Buddhist thought throughout the book in ways big and small.

I might try Catcher in the Rye next. That book annoyed me more than any other in school. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Huckleberry Finn was a revelation when I reread it as an adult. There was a lot more going on there than I realized at age 13.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1033 on: December 05, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Finally getting around to reading The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life by JL Collins. I figure now that I'm in my 2nd-ish year of seriously saving for FI, I need to read through all the background material that many suggest.

So far this book has been great, although I'm only ~1/4th of the way through.

I just finished this. I love the final words in the main portion of the book: "As individuals we only have one obligation to society: To ensure we, and our children, are not a burden to others. The rest is our personal choice. Make your own and make the world a far more interesting place."

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1034 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Just finished Sapphire Pavilion by David Grogan.  Written by a buddy of mine.  His first book was the Siegel Dispositions.  Both are about a retired Navy JAG who ends up in some interesting situations.

Fun reads.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: December 08, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
Free Sci-Fi Short story collection. An Anthology by some great authors about space exploration by Arizona State Univ.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16742530/visions-ventures-escape-velocities-anthology-ebook-arizona-state-university-science-fiction

THe first story is very good. Am in the process for reading.

@arebelspy , you can find the PDF and let everyone know ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1036 on: December 08, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
@arebelspy , you can find the PDF and let everyone know ;-)

lol. :D

Looks like the final paragraph of the linked article has it in PDF, ePub, Mobi, and iBook formats. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1037 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
I'm reading about the Terra Cotta Army and China's first emperor.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1038 on: December 11, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
War and Peace.  A translation of course as I can't read Russian.  Started off terrible, 1 star out of 5, but now I'm about halfway through and I've improved my current rating to 4 out of 5 stars. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
I have been reading the "Colors" graphic novel trilogy by Dong Hwa Kim. I think it is the first Korean graphic novel I have read. It is set in late 19th-century rural Korea and tells the story of a mother and daughter as the daughter grows up. Very interesting!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1040 on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
Now reading Artemis by Andy Weir (of Martian fame).  Very different story.

Got that and read it. Really good and as you say, a different story. Will not be surprised if this is made into a movie also.
Thanks for the suggestion.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: December 28, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Just finished Living Well, Spending Less by Ruth Soukup. A nice book but nothing new. Glad it was from the library.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1042 on: December 28, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »

@Warlord1986 I was fortunate enough to see the Terra Cotta Army in person this past September. It was definitely an experience that I will not forget. What book are you reading?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »
I am currently reading _The Cooking Gene_ and I have decided not to finish it tonight because I only had 52 new books completed in 2017, and I might as well start 2018 with a bit of a head start.

I can see why some people don't like this book, but I'm just fascinated by the author's intense need to discover his family's history. I don't really have that drive, but I also haven't had my family's history ripped away or family members literally dehumanized. So this is helpful for me to better understand the scars of history and how these traumas resound through the generations.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1044 on: January 02, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »

@Warlord1986 I was fortunate enough to see the Terra Cotta Army in person this past September. It was definitely an experience that I will not forget. What book are you reading?

I'm jealous! The Terra Cotta Army is on my bucket list.

The book I read is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Terra-Cotta-Army-China%C2%92s-Emperor/dp/030681840X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514901750&sr=8-4&keywords=terra+cotta+army+book

Very readable and the photos were great!

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #1045 on: January 02, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
Salt, Sugar, Fat by Mike Moss.

Pretty interesting look at how companies target people to sell food. 

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1046 on: January 02, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »
Just finished How to Be Idle: A Loafer's Manifesto by Tom Hodgkinson. 

Quite good.  It really spoke to my inner Loafer. 

Now I'm about halfway though A Confederacy of Dunces.   This is my second attempt to read this novel.  I find myself losing patience a bit with it. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1047 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
Just finished Earning the Rockies: How Geography Shapes America's Role in the World by Robert Kaplan.

It was a good read and he has some interesting ideas on the role of geography throughout the history of the US and how that geography still plays a role today.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #1048 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:47 AM »
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer.

It's about 1200 pages long and I'm close to halfway through it (I'm at the lead-up to Germany's invasion of Poland).  Very interesting if a bit dry.  Shirer was an American reporter in Germany starting around the late 20's or early 30's and also traveled around Austria, Czechoslovakia, etc when Hitler annexed them.  He also was present for the Nuremburg trials and had interviewed many of the top brass of the third reich.  He starts with a background of Hitler and the Beer Hall Putsch and I'm assuming goes all the way through the Nuremburg trials.  The only real critique I have is that he doesn't provide any maps.

ETA: he also had access to a lot of the Nazi government documents that the allies found when defeating Germany so he references them a lot.  They had mountains of documents to sift through.  He wrote the book around 1960.  I hadn't previously been overly interested in Nazi history but picked the right book to learn about it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:21:10 AM by gobius »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
I hadn't previously been overly interested in Nazi history but picked the right book to learn about it.

It is not really a nice topic. But we shoudl all know about it, and learn from it. We have the same things today. In German ythe rise of the AfD (and other european countries similar right-wing nationalists) and in the USA the Make Germany America Great Again crowd.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!