Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762394 times)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #950 on: June 10, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
I'm finally getting around to reading Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez. I know it's basically required reading around here, but it took me a while to get to it.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #951 on: June 11, 2017, 02:04:11 AM »
Street Smart Franchising. Pretty interesting thus far, but it's still early in the book. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: June 21, 2017, 07:18:53 AM »
The Best of Tad Williams.

It's a collection of really good fantasy short stories. Glad my library had it!

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #953 on: June 29, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
The Map Thief by Michael Blanding

Just finished it. I found it interesting to learn more about maps and their history.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: June 30, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »
Assassin's Apprentice:  very engaging.
This was a fun series.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: June 30, 2017, 06:40:45 AM »
Tales of the Alhambra, by  Irving. I stole the book from my parents house. It's a souvenir edition they bought while they were visiting Granada.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: June 30, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
Tales of the Alhambra, by  Irving. I stole the book from my parents house. It's a souvenir edition they bought while they were visiting Granada.
That's a very interesting bit of color commentary to add on how you acquired the book.  Are you proud of yourself?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: June 30, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
That's a very interesting bit of color commentary to add on how you acquired the book.  Are you proud of yourself?

When I say stole I mean they repeatedly tell me to take whatever books I want because their house has bookcases in literally every room but the bathrooms and they never miss what I take. Also, I told my father how I got it, and my mother's mental illness sometimes manifests itself by her throwing away books. 'Stole' is more succinct.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #958 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 10, 2017, 12:25:23 AM »
The Year of Living Danishly - surprisingly funny take on life in Denmark

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #960 on: July 10, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
Starfarers by Poul Anderson.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: July 11, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
The Year of Living Danishly - surprisingly funny take on life in Denmark

I read that and thought it was quite hilarious! :)

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #962 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
"In Defense of Food" was in my library's summer reading section. Sure, why not?

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #963 on: July 13, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
"Automotive Chassis Systems" and "Automotive Fundamentals".

No two books have given me a better understanding of cars than these, and the second has fantastic explanations that are very, very clear on a lot of topics, even though it's older (2001.) My car is a '99, so I look at it that it's perfectly current under the circumstances ;)

These books, coupled with a subscription to AllData that's free from my library have me doing things with my car that I never would have imagined DIYing in the past.

I found them at my public library for free.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: July 13, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
Just checked out 'The Dragonbone Chair' by Tad Williams from the library.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »
"In Defense of Food" was in my library's summer reading section. Sure, why not?

I would've liked this book a lot more if it was less anti-science and more "beware hubris." Good summer reading, take it with a grain of salt....hopefully iodized salt, though, which this book wouldn't approve of.

Need something new, stopping by the library on the way home!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #966 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
Currently just about finished:

Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark
By Geniesse, Jane Fletcher

REALLY enjoying it.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #967 on: July 19, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »
Just picked up Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell.

Haven't gotten too far into it yet, but so far so good. I feel I'm pretty terrible at decision making and hoping this may provide some insights on how to improve.

Listened to his podcast before starting the book and really enjoy it - Revisionist History

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #968 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  Haven't read from the beginning for several years.  It's like chatting with an old friend.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #969 on: July 19, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  Haven't read from the beginning for several years.  It's like chatting with an old friend.

A long chat LOL. It definitely is the right name. You feel like under a wheel from the time you need to read it.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »

A long chat LOL. It definitely is the right name. You feel like under a wheel from the time you need to read it.

This is pretty much perpetually on my list of books to read, but at 14 books in the series (over 11,000 pages total!) I can't bring myself to do it. I'll keep it on the list for once I'm FIRE'd

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #971 on: July 24, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
Rule #1 Investing by Phil Town

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #972 on: July 25, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
'Twelve Kings in Sharakhai' by Bradley Beaulieu. Put this one on your reading list folks!

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #973 on: July 25, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »
I just started "The Blue Zones Solutions."  The book is looking at the diet and lifestyle of the areas with the highest percentage of those 100+ year old.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #974 on: July 25, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
I've recently finished "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari, and now reading "Homo Deus", the sequel.  Where Sapiens is "a Brief History of Humankind", Homo Deus is focused on the future of the human race, and how he thinks we'll change (or evolve?) in the future.

On the Audiobook side, book 3 of "The Cycle of Galand", which follows "The Cycle of Arawn".  Fantasy, sorcery, sword fighting, quick wits, clever solutions to problems, and fun banter between the main characters.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #975 on: July 25, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »
Just finished the rather mentally exhausting Ages of Discord (loved it) and am now poking along with In The Hand of Dante by Nick Tosches. Not for everyone, it's exceedingly profane and pretentious at the same time, shamelessly self-indulgent, but somehow I love it. Very poetic.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #976 on: July 26, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Picked up "Julian Comstock." Interesting Western set in 22nd century US after a worldwide collapse post-peak-oil. Basically a no-nonsense narrative written by a middle-class kid about Julian Comstock as he rises in power (I guess).

Not quite summer reading. Definitely a bit boring for people, just because of the narrator's personality. It feels like an adventure, which is the best positive of the book, but the subject matter might make it feel more like "War and Peace" after awhile, and less "True Grit."

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #977 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »
Just finished Stories of your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. One of the short stories was the basis for the recent movie Arrival.  Some really original story ideas in that book. 

Currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #978 on: August 09, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
Picked up "Julian Comstock." Interesting Western set in 22nd century US after a worldwide collapse post-peak-oil. Basically a no-nonsense narrative written by a middle-class kid about Julian Comstock as he rises in power (I guess).

Not quite summer reading. Definitely a bit boring for people, just because of the narrator's personality. It feels like an adventure, which is the best positive of the book, but the subject matter might make it feel more like "War and Peace" after awhile, and less "True Grit."

Finished up Julian Comstock! Fun book. It's divided into 3 different parts that are each 3 different genres: I'd call the first part "True Grit," the second part "Band of Brothers," and the third part "Game of Thrones."

It's a fictional historical narrative written by Adam Hazzard, a Western farm-boy, who makes friends with Julian Comstock, the nephew of the current sitting President. It's a post-apocyalptic US, where the US has recovered to an early 20th century level of tech.

I'd give it a shot if you can tolerate a bit of brown prose and like speculative fiction.

Neal300

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #979 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:06 AM »
Searching some things for my news channel.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #980 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »

I love this series. One of my brothers gave me the first book for my 14th birthday and I was hooked after that. Glad I took a break after the 11th book, however, and didn't read them all and finish up the series until it was actually all written. Until that point I'd been re-reading the whole series every time a new book came out.

Current read is Dracula, by Bram Stoker. A+, it is legitimately creepy. Kinda glad I didn't save it for October, when I'd originally intended to read it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #981 on: August 15, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Vanity Fair by Thackeray.  Snarky humor in an 18th century novel.  I can see why Kubrick liked him so much (he adopted another Thackeray novel for his movie Barry Lyndon).

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #982 on: August 26, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
Martha Wells _All Systems Red_

A novella (150 pages) about snarky cyborg who would prefer to watch bad tv over interacting with its current employers, but circumstances on its latest job make that a challenge. I am really looking forward to the sequels.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #983 on: August 26, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »
"Fatal Flight" by Bill Hammack

Free audiobook here: http://www.engineerguy.com/airship/

Bill is "engineerguy" on YouTube. He wrote this book about the ill-fated R.101 airship and was kind enough to make the audiobook available for free download on his website. Very interesting if you are into this sort of thing.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #984 on: August 27, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »
"Fatal Flight" by Bill Hammack
Free audiobook here: http://www.engineerguy.com/airship/
Bill is "engineerguy" on YouTube. He wrote this book about the ill-fated R.101 airship and was kind enough to make the audiobook available for free download on his website. Very interesting if you are into this sort of thing.

Cool.  Thanks.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #985 on: August 28, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »
Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression by Studs Terkel. A thick book, but an easy read because it consists of short sections of many interviews, many only a paragraph or two long.

I first read it about twenty years ago, and as I recall I had a warm and cuddly feeling that things had gotten a lot better since then.  Now I'm not so sure.  But it's still an enthralling book that distills some of the most poignant moments of the lives of hundreds of people.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:55:14 PM by Poundwise »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: August 28, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
Vanity Fair by Thackeray.  Snarky humor in an 18th century novel.  I can see why Kubrick liked him so much (he adopted another Thackeray novel for his movie Barry Lyndon).

Hah, coincidence! I started rereading Vanity Fair two weeks ago. It's another book I haven't read for decades. I liked it less than I did before. Though I appreciate the author's talent, I find him unpleasant, especially the snide racism that doesn't add to the story.

Ever notice the situational similarities between the first chapter and A Little Princess by Frances Burnett? I'm sure she must have read Thackeray. Wonder if she was inspired by him or were they both influenced by a shared source?

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #987 on: October 18, 2017, 08:38:16 AM »
For a quick/fun read, I'm currently working my way through How to Build a Fire, and Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew by Erin Bried.

One thing that caught my eye was a section on "How to Buy a Car". The Grandfather narrating this section says: "Your wheels should never cost you more than 10 percent of your annual take-home pay." While we mustachians may strive for an even lower cost for our cars (or make it work with no car at all), I think this is a decent guideline.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #988 on: October 18, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »
For a quick/fun read, I'm currently working my way through How to Build a Fire, and Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew by Erin Bried.

One thing that caught my eye was a section on "How to Buy a Car". The Grandfather narrating this section says: "Your wheels should never cost you more than 10 percent of your annual take-home pay." While we mustachians may strive for an even lower cost for our cars (or make it work with no car at all), I think this is a decent guideline.

You can't do that! That would mean half of Germans have vastly overpriced wheeles!!! And the other half mostly has none.

hoipolloi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #989 on: October 20, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan. Was a fan of A Visit from the Goon Squad, although probably didn't deserve the Pulitzer. This is quite the follow-up. Set in WWII Brooklyn with a noirish feel to it.

Winston852

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #990 on: November 03, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »
Currently reading Daring Greatly by Brene Brown... I would highly recommend ;)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: November 03, 2017, 06:38:46 AM »
Currently reading Daring Greatly by Brene Brown... I would highly recommend ;)

A friend gave that to be about 16 months ago. I finally feel resilient enough to read it and it is in my bag. That is probably not the point of the book. :)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #992 on: November 03, 2017, 06:40:27 AM »
The Grid: The Fraying Wires Between Americans and Our Energy Future
by Gretchen Bakke

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #993 on: November 03, 2017, 06:57:49 AM »
I'm about 5 hours away from finishing A Memory of Light, the 14th (final) book of The Wheel of Time.  After all these years, I'm going to finally finish it!

And just in time for Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer to be released on 11/14!  For those not in the know, Oathbringer is book 3 of The Stormlight Archives, which is amazing.  Also, in case you don't know, the reason these two books relate is that Brandon Sanderson wrote the last 3 books of The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan's death.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #994 on: November 03, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan. Was a fan of A Visit from the Goon Squad, although probably didn't deserve the Pulitzer. This is quite the follow-up. Set in WWII Brooklyn with a noirish feel to it.

I was on a loooonggg drive yesterday and she was the interview subject on CBC Radio 1 if you are interested in hearing her speak about this novel and her writing process...

Jennifer Egan's latest novel is an 'old-fashioned adventure story'
Nov 2, 2017
Author Jennifer Egan breaks down the inspiration and research behind her latest novel, Manhattan Beach.
http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/q/segment/14635131

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #995 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:23 AM »
The Grid: The Fraying Wires Between Americans and Our Energy Future
by Gretchen Bakke

How did you like this one? Seems like something I would like to read.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #996 on: November 03, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
Finished Vanity Fair, moving on the Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.  I tried to read this about a 15 years ago but I was too young to appreciate it.  Plus I just flat out didn't know enough facts/information about the world to even begin to penetrate it (its a very dense book).  It's still a challenge, but a lot more enjoyable this time around.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #997 on: November 03, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
Just finished part I and II of Orson Scott Cards "Formic Wars" series. This is hte prequel for Enders game.
Not as good as the Enders game, but still quite good. My library has part III and will go get it.

Also have started "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.  About 80 pages in, seems interesting. It is a Hugo award winner, so I expect I will enjoy this book.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
I am a huge science fiction fan, what would you guys reccomend?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #999 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
I didn't know there was a Formic Wars series. I've probably read a dozen Enderverse books.

Mazer Rackham is baller. I hope they made him badass in the prequels.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!