Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762373 times)

gggggg

• Bristles
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #850 on: October 01, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
The latest issue of the Economist.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #851 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:35 PM »
Salt: A World History

and

The [Un]documented Mark Steyn

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Salt is on my to-read list, have heard how interesting it is.

Just finished Ann Patchett's Commonwealth and OMG, OMG. I read a lot and it's one of the best novels I've had the pleasure to read this year.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #853 on: October 08, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore

I recently read, The Fool and wanted to follow up on the (sort of) sequel because of how enjoyable it was to read.  The reason I say "sort of" sequel is because Pocket is the main character in both books.

The Fool was hysterically funny...I'm about 1/3 of the way through and this one isn't quite as funny, but it's still a good laugh.

The Fool is a parody of King Lear and The Serpent of Venice is a parody of both Othello and The Merchant of Venice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really enjoy Christopher Moore. My favorite is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend.
His books are great as audio books for road trips

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #854 on: October 08, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Set another goal for myself. I'm going to try to read 1 book per week.

The one for this week is The Girl in The Spider's Web, the post-original author's death sequel to the Millennium series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). It's OK. I don't think the new author actually understands the characters. If he writes any more, I probably won't bother.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #855 on: October 08, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »
cavewoman-->Next Christopher Moore book I read will have to be that one!  I will have to remember his audio books for road trips--that would be entertaining as hell.

I like the San Francisco books: You Suck, Bite Me, A Dirty Job--haven't finished Secondhand Souls yet. I think my favorite, though, is the Christmas book The Stupidest Angel (involves a LOT of characters from previous books, but still fun even if you haven't read them.) Come to think of it, I think my brother made off with my copy. Must retrieve before Xmas.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #856 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
I'm reading a book on Sumeria. It's pretty neat how much we know about people who lived five thousand years ago.

Dmoneyzzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life's either a daring adventure or nothing at all
« Reply #857 on: October 14, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
I am currently studying The Millionaire Fastlane by M.J. DeMarco.

I have read the book once, I finished a couple of days ago and now I am studying the book chapter by chapter.  I am taking specific action steps to apply the book now!

I have envisioned creating a course to study the book so that is my next life project.

I really enjoy books because they can enlighten and inspire the reader to take actions to improve their life.  Books are the bomb!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:07:34 PM by Dmoneyzzz »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #858 on: October 20, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas L. Freidman

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: October 20, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
My "to read" list has just grown exponentially after binge reading through this thread.

I am currently reading "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee

I am disappointed with it.  I feel it goes off in all different directions and I wasn't exactly sure what the point of the story was until about 3/4 of the way through.  Also, I had read "To Kill a Mockingbird" right before (I hadn't read it since high school) and a few things in "Go Set a Watchman" were described in what I remembered as the exact same way as in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (I had already returned TKAM to the library so I couldn't fact check this).  It bothered me for some reason.  Talking to my sister she suggested maybe to tie the books together?  I am not sure you would need to tie them together since the book is set in the same location with most of the same characters.  Anyway, I have about 75 pages left and wouldn't recommend this book....although its possible something fantastic could happen in those last 75 pages that would change my mind--I find it highly unlikely.

When GSAW came out there was some controversy. Apparently the author never wanted it published and it seemed like it was a first draft of TKAM. It was suggested that the author suffered from dementia and was manipulated into allowing the publication. TKAM made me bawl, so I didn't see the need to read GSAW, but I know many people who were upset. They felt a great literary classic had been stomped on.

I'm reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I think the movie was better.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #861 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:03 AM »
The History of the World in Six Glasses.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »
Who Cooked Adam Smith's Dinner?: A Story About Women and Economics - K Marcal.

I'm reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I think the movie was better.

I love both.:)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: November 12, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »
Julia Quinn's 'What Happens in London' 'cause I want a happily ever after right now.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #865 on: November 14, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
I like to read a book and then listen to it on audiotape.  Did that recently with the Illiad, the Odyssey, War & Peace and Moby Dick.  Read the Brothers Karamazov twice, doing the audio cd of it now.  Just finished Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce (much easier going than Ulysses).  And just got started on Lolita by Nabakov.

Looking back, I'm continually amazed at how poor my education/exposure was to these classics.  And I had a pretty decent education.  Trying to make up for lost time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #866 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
STILL reading the Codex Alera novels by Jim Butcher. On the last one now. It is amazing how long the series he writes are. They actually slow me down a bit...

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »
I have a weird fondness for YA novels from the 1940s-1960s. Through sheer coincidence, this week I happened to pick one up that has been sitting on my shelf for quite awhile--Tradition, by Anne Emery. The plot concerns a Japanese family that move to a midwestern community in 1945, and the reaction of the neighbors. It was fascinating...if you subbed in a Muslim family, it could easily have taken place in the present day. I thought it was very well-done for its time, in that the white family who are the main characters take awhile to come around to the idea of the new neighbors (especially as they have a son fighting in the Pacific).

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #868 on: November 16, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »
I probably learned the most from the Smyslov volume, but I'm reading the Fischer one now.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #869 on: November 16, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
My husband own this HUGE Dragonlance Chronicles book that he wants me to try out. I figure, sure why not. So starting tonight I will be starting the Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #870 on: November 17, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »
My husband own this HUGE Dragonlance Chronicles book that he wants me to try out. I figure, sure why not. So starting tonight I will be starting the Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Great series.  At least the early ones, which is what I read way back when.   Sturm Brightblade, Raistlin, etc..

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #871 on: December 04, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: December 05, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
The Monsters of Templeton. I'd loom up the author but there is a cat lying on top me so I can't move. Good book though. After that I have a romance novel I bought from the library for fifty cents.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #873 on: December 06, 2016, 07:29:59 AM »

Great series.  At least the early ones, which is what I read way back when.   Sturm Brightblade, Raistlin, etc..

Wow that takes me back.  I loved those!

I'm currently reading Anathem by Neil Stephenson.  It's absolutely amazing.  It's a great sci-fi story, and the ideas on consciousness that he develops over the course of the book (I'm about 2/3 in) are really interesting.  It's set on a world (very much like Earth) where scientist / philosopher types are cloistered away for 1, 10, 100 or 1000 years at a time to think deep thoughts.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #874 on: December 08, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

Wow that takes me back.  I loved those!

I'm currently reading Anathem by Neil Stephenson.  It's absolutely amazing.  It's a great sci-fi story, and the ideas on consciousness that he develops over the course of the book (I'm about 2/3 in) are really interesting.  It's set on a world (very much like Earth) where scientist / philosopher types are cloistered away for 1, 10, 100 or 1000 years at a time to think deep thoughts.

yay, I loved these books too when I was in grade school.
I checked it from the library for my kid last week.
But she has TOO many books queued up and may not get around to it.
Apparently, it doesn't compare to Last Kids on Earth

I'm about halfway through Hidden Life of Trees.
A great book which may affect how I walk through forests the rest of my life.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #875 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
yay, I loved these books too when I was in grade school.
I checked it from the library for my kid last week.
But she has TOO many books queued up and may not get around to it.
Apparently, it doesn't compare to Last Kids on Earth

I'm about halfway through Hidden Life of Trees.
A great book which may affect how I walk through forests the rest of my life.

Add to her pile.  The Chronicles of Prydain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain) series is fantastic as well.  It is based on Welsh mythology (the Mabinogion mostly).

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #876 on: December 08, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »
Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

Psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor with his perspective on how to find meaning in your life. I figure if anybody knows how, this guy would.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #877 on: December 09, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
Add to her pile.  The Chronicles of Prydain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain) series is fantastic as well.  It is based on Welsh mythology (the Mabinogion mostly).

thanks for the suggestion.  I will queue that up on the hold shelf.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: December 09, 2016, 11:44:48 AM »
Binge-reading Babylon's Ashes. Just got it two days ago. Love the Expanse series.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: December 11, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be, since I'm going to be a dad in 4+ months (crazy!).

But I'm also excited to get back into The Expanse series: I haven't started Cibola Burn yet.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #880 on: December 12, 2016, 06:19:43 AM »
Listen, Liberal - Thomas Frank.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #881 on: December 13, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
The Snowball 2nd time through, I like repetition for some reason (best Buffett Biography imop).

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #882 on: December 13, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »
The Snowball ... (best Buffett Biography imop).

Thanks for this- I've been looking for a good Buffett Bio

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: December 16, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »
Most recently--Crosstalk by Connie Willis. It's not her best, but I'll be honest, it still sucked me in. I was almost late to work because I got to a really exciting part over coffee this morning!

I have gone back to the Flavia de Luce mysteries (tween girl in 1950s England) by Alan Bradley. I got into them when the first couple were out and then lost track of the series in the interval between books.

Also read "Thrill" by Robert Byrnes--an older mystery about the sabotage of a new roller coaster. The prose was what you might call workmanlike but I enjoyed the unusual subject matter.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #884 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
Just finished  The Affinity Bridge  (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3472342-the-affinity-bridge)
Basically a cross between Sherlock Holmes and steampunk.    It is the first in a series featuring the same characters.

I'm a huge Conan Doyle fan and like Victorian/Georgian settings in general.  Not a huge steampunk fan but it is okay.
It was well enough written that I am moving on to book 2 in the series.  Maybe rate it, say, a 7 out of 10.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #885 on: January 05, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
Peter Turchin's Ages of Discord.

Fascinating shit, although somewhat ominous if his predictions are accurate.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: January 09, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
Read The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis over the holidays.  Was decent but not as good as I was hoping. 

I'm a computer geek for my job, so now reading three books about different DevOps sections, including The Phoenix Project (which is very good), the DevOps Handbook is on deck, and I got about 35% into Continuous Delivery from the Addison Wesley Signature Series.  That one if very dry.  Good info, but a hugely boring book to read and I work in this field for a living.

Picked up a bunch of books at the library for a donation.  I ended up with about 20 books for $20, so thought that was a good deal.  A Tom Clancy, couple Cara Black novels, some Ken Follett, four travel books about places we may go someday and a few others.  Set my Goodreads goal to 12 for 2017, as I hit 10 in 2016, but that was honestly mainly in the last quarter, so I may find I blow the 12 out of the water.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #887 on: January 15, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
The Night Bird - Brian Freeman.

A Kindle First book. So far pretty interesting and a very easy read.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #888 on: January 16, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
As part of my push to read some of the classics, I'm reading Brave New World by Huxley.  Much faster/easier read than the last classic I read - Lolita.  So far BNW reminds me a lot of Philip K Dick's work - amazing ideas with only so-so writing style. 

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #889 on: January 18, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
currently reading star wars:rogue one

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #890 on: January 18, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
Walking on Sunshine: 52 small steps to happiness by Rachel Kelly

Short and sweet. It is a quick easy read. Each step/chapter is only two pages long. While the ideas it contains have been around, I liked the compilation and arrangement by the author.  Bonus -  some wonderful poetry snippets (other poets) along with illustrations.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #891 on: January 27, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
Leviathan Wakes.  Wow, that was really good.  I connected with the two themes of mutually assured destruction and disclosing secrets that cause pandemonium.

currently picking my way through Merchants of Doubt. 

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #892 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:52 PM »
 “Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden’s Syndrome” by John Scalzi.

Actually just finished this short backstory for "Lock In" by John Scalzi which I was trying to read. It was making little sense. Now, it makes sense.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: January 28, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
Octavia Butler's "Kindred" just came out as a graphic novel, so I'm reading that.

Also reading "Staying with the Trouble: Making Kin in the Cthulucene" by Donna Haraway. Pretty dense feminist writing, right at the bleeding edge, so it's making my brain hurt a little but in a good way.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #894 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
"Dreams of the Rocket Man" by C Stuart Hardwick.

Genre is sci-fi, it reminds me of Asimov, where a great story is woven in with sci-fi, and the story ends up being a great story and not just a sci-fi story.

He has it for free on his web site.  Short story, very very nicely written. (I am nominating it!)

http://cstuarthardwick.com/sample/

BTW, I just followed his link from quora, no relation or connection to him.

VeroXX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #895 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
Currently I am reading "4 hour workweek" by Tim Ferris.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: January 30, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
"The Year of Living Danishly" by Helen Russell.  So far, so good.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #897 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
Finished The Great Gatsby and moving on to Catcher in the Rye.  Oh dear god is Holden Caulfield a complainypants.  I hope it gets better, I'm about 50 pages into it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #898 on: January 30, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
Catcher is amazing if you're an angsty teen.

I could see being annoyed at it as an adult, but it will always hold a special place for me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: January 30, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
Catcher is amazing if you're an angsty teen.

I could see being annoyed at it as an adult, but it will always hold a special place for me.

Well, as a 44 year old man, I'm certainly no longer an angsty teen :D  I hate when people bash classics in order to make it seem like they are superior to the material.  Me, I look for things to like and/or respect in a classic work, even if it doesn't resonate with me.

I will say this though - as a modern reader, I do get a strong "in the closet gay man" vibe from Holden.  I'm sure back in the early 50's they couldn't even begin to hint at that explicitly, but for me it explains a lot of his obsession with others being 'phoney' (projection), his lack of any real interest in girls, and doing things like hanging out in the bathroom watching his "sexy bastard" guy friend get ready for a date while half clothed.  It's just a theory at the moment, we'll see if it holds up, but if it does, I think it makes him much more understandable and more sympathetic.