Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 136860 times)

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #950 on: April 03, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »
I just finished reading One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey, a short story compiled by Sam Keith from the journals/photographs of Richard Proenneke. Even if you aren't into the outdoors (and if you aren't you should work on it), you have to admit that Dick Proenneke understood the pillars of Mustachianism years before the internet, MMM, or the like (his cabin was built in ~1968):

"Needs? I guess that is what bothers so many folks. They keep expanding their needs until they are dependent on too many things and too many other people. I don't understand economics, and I suppose the country would be in a real mess if people suddenly cut out a lot of things they don't need. I wonder how many things in the average American home could be eliminated if the question were asked, ""Must I really have this?"" I guess most of the extras are chalked up to comfort or saving time.

Funny thing about comfort- one man's comfort is another man's misery. Most people don't work hard enough physically anymore, and comfort is not easy to find. It is surprising how comfortable a hard bunk can be after you come down off a mountain."

Additionally, the man was a virtuoso with woodworking, and to this day his hand-crafted wood cabin, furniture, and tools remain preserved as a testament to fine craftsmanship. Virtually tour his cabin at https://www.nps.gov/lacl/learn/historyculture/proenneke-cabin-virtual-tour.htm

I'll have to see if the library has the book, I've only seen the PBS series on it. I always watch it whenever it comes on, so amazing what he built by himself. I agree, he's like the original MMM. :-)

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #951 on: April 03, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
^^^ Regarding previous posts.

There's a Spanish saying that goes, "Para dormir lo que hace falta es cansancio." Which loosely translated to English reads, "To sleep, all you need is to be tired."

My father always used this saying, remembering how as a young teen, he would work on the sugar cane fields and after 10hrs. of cutting down sugar canes, all he needed was a hot plate of food and a floor. No need for a comfortable bed or anything like that to go to sleep.  He told me many times that if I ever had trouble going to sleep, it was a sign I hadn't worked enough that day.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:15:59 PM by craiglepaige »
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: April 03, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman.

In many ways this is like reading a poetry version of Walden.  Clearly both authors read and were influenced by the Stoics. 
Frugalite in training.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #953 on: April 03, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »
^^^ Regarding previous posts.

There's a Spanish saying that goes, "Para dormir lo que hace falta es cansancio." Which loosely translated to English reads, "To sleep, all you need is to be tired."

My father always used this saying, remembering how as a young teen, he would work on the sugar cane fields and after 10hrs. of cutting down sugar canes, all he needed was a hot plate of food and a floor. No need for a comfortable bed or anything like that to go to sleep.  He told me many times that if I ever had trouble going to sleep, it was a sign I hadn't worked enough that day.

Awesome story and I believe the sentiment behind it.
My Log

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #954 on: April 06, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »
I just finished reading 'Silence' by Shusaku Endo. It's about the Japanese persecution of Christians during the sixteen hundreds. Thought provoking book.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #955 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »
I'm on a roll, and just finished reading another book.

The Emporer's Soul by Brandon Sanderson.
I typically like to switch between fiction and non-fiction books when reading, and this was a quick fantasy novella that I very much enjoyed. I also liked that it was not part of a series, as I feel there are 100s of fantasy/Sci-fi book series out there and I just wanted one read.
My Log

Sherriscott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #956 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:08 PM »
My reading list is a bit different because I read online books on a mobile app called as "Wattpad". So my books will be new to you, but they are awesome. Currently I am reading Dark and the other book is The Boy I Admire From Afar.

KES

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #957 on: April 21, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
Food is Your Best Medicine, by Dr. Henry Bieler. Wow. Book is pretty old, but still, wow. He's famous for his Bieler Broth of zucchini, string beans, and celery.

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #958 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Found this today

http://compellingsciencefiction.com/

There are five editions with five stories each (all free)

Just finished the last one, very very good. If you like sci-fi, cannot beat this price!!!

The sixth edition is out. Very good. Hard core sci-fi.

Vindicated

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #959 on: April 21, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
I'm on a roll, and just finished reading another book.

The Emporer's Soul by Brandon Sanderson.
I typically like to switch between fiction and non-fiction books when reading, and this was a quick fantasy novella that I very much enjoyed. I also liked that it was not part of a series, as I feel there are 100s of fantasy/Sci-fi book series out there and I just wanted one read.

"The Emporer's Soul" is part of the "Cosmere", which is the universe in which many of his other books takes place.  It's also located on the same planet as the book "Elantris", which is my personal favorite of his. 

I recommend reading every Sanderson book you can get your hands on! I believe I've now read everything he's published, except for his young fiction series "Alcatraz".

----

I just recently finished "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi.  It's an autobiography written by an amazing man, in his final year of life, after being diagnosed with cancer.  He had an MS in English Lit, and a Doctor of Neurosurgery.  Definitely a unique perspective on the meaning of life.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:18:30 PM by Vindicated »
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

Get a Free Stock from Robinhood by using this referral link, and I get one too! ($7-$10)
https://robinhood.com/referral/danielg954/

"One thing alone is certain, that man's slavery grows and increases. Man is becoming a willing slave. He no longer needs chains. He begins to grow fond of his slavery, to be proud of it. And this is the most terrible thing that can happen to a man. - G.I. Gurdjieff

alexboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #960 on: May 12, 2017, 05:20:11 AM »
No onw wants you by Celine Roberts.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #961 on: May 15, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
Now I'm reading It usually begins with Ayn Rand, by Jerome Tuccille. So far it has been an enjoyable background and history into the Libertarian party.
My Log

Andrew Fraser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just starting out..
« Reply #962 on: May 15, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
Currently re-reading A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright as my friend had a hard-copy of it.
Just starting on my FIRE journey, hoping posting here creates accountability and eventually lowers my very anti-mustachian life habits.

Mac_MacGyver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #963 on: May 17, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
The Tower of Basel, it is about the Bank of International Settlements. So far an excellent read.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #964 on: May 18, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
"Genghis: Lord of the Bow" It's about the Khan of Khans. From the library.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #965 on: May 18, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »

Let me know how this one is- I'd love to read a good book on Genghis Khan
My Log

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #966 on: May 19, 2017, 08:50:07 AM »

Let me know how this one is- I'd love to read a good book on Genghis Khan

It's the second in a series. The first one was also at the library, although I was foolish and supported my local bookstore. Whomp whomp. My financial misadventures aside, it's a good series! There are some parts of  the first book that made me roll my eyes, but it was pretty good overall, and I'm enjoying the second even more. Definitely worth checking out.

Jana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #967 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »
Drain the Swamp by Congressman Ken buck

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #968 on: May 20, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
The Book of Sith by Daniel Wallace. (In-universe, written by characters such as Darth Malgus, Darth Bane, Darth Plagueis, and Darth Sidious.)

Very enlightening read into the order of the Sith, the reason for the Rule of Two and stuff. I'm a Star Wars fan. What can I say? lol

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #969 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton -- half dark and half lyrical food writing.

Has anyone one read the memoirs of Doose (?) the famous blogger? It's like that, but with more oregano.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture