Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 136404 times)

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #900 on: December 09, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
Add to her pile.  The Chronicles of Prydain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain) series is fantastic as well.  It is based on Welsh mythology (the Mabinogion mostly).

thanks for the suggestion.  I will queue that up on the hold shelf.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #901 on: December 09, 2016, 11:44:48 AM »
Binge-reading Babylon's Ashes. Just got it two days ago. Love the Expanse series.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #902 on: December 11, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be, since I'm going to be a dad in 4+ months (crazy!).

But I'm also excited to get back into The Expanse series: I haven't started Cibola Burn yet.
My Log

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #903 on: December 12, 2016, 06:19:43 AM »
Listen, Liberal - Thomas Frank.

CorpRaider

• Stubble
« Reply #904 on: December 13, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
The Snowball 2nd time through, I like repetition for some reason (best Buffett Biography imop).

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #905 on: December 13, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »
The Snowball ... (best Buffett Biography imop).

Thanks for this- I've been looking for a good Buffett Bio
My Log

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #906 on: December 16, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »
Most recently--Crosstalk by Connie Willis. It's not her best, but I'll be honest, it still sucked me in. I was almost late to work because I got to a really exciting part over coffee this morning!

I have gone back to the Flavia de Luce mysteries (tween girl in 1950s England) by Alan Bradley. I got into them when the first couple were out and then lost track of the series in the interval between books.

Also read "Thrill" by Robert Byrnes--an older mystery about the sabotage of a new roller coaster. The prose was what you might call workmanlike but I enjoyed the unusual subject matter.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #907 on: January 05, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown.

I have read Daring Greatly by her and loved it...so I have high hopes for this one (as well as her other 2 I have on my shelf).

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #908 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »
Just finished  The Affinity Bridge  (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3472342-the-affinity-bridge)
Basically a cross between Sherlock Holmes and steampunk.    It is the first in a series featuring the same characters.

I'm a huge Conan Doyle fan and like Victorian/Georgian settings in general.  Not a huge steampunk fan but it is okay.
It was well enough written that I am moving on to book 2 in the series.  Maybe rate it, say, a 7 out of 10.

Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Semi-ERd: September 2015 at 42.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #909 on: January 05, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
Peter Turchin's Ages of Discord.

Fascinating shit, although somewhat ominous if his predictions are accurate.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

caracarn

• Bristles
« Reply #910 on: January 09, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
Read The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis over the holidays.  Was decent but not as good as I was hoping. 

I'm a computer geek for my job, so now reading three books about different DevOps sections, including The Phoenix Project (which is very good), the DevOps Handbook is on deck, and I got about 35% into Continuous Delivery from the Addison Wesley Signature Series.  That one if very dry.  Good info, but a hugely boring book to read and I work in this field for a living.

Picked up a bunch of books at the library for a donation.  I ended up with about 20 books for $20, so thought that was a good deal.  A Tom Clancy, couple Cara Black novels, some Ken Follett, four travel books about places we may go someday and a few others.  Set my Goodreads goal to 12 for 2017, as I hit 10 in 2016, but that was honestly mainly in the last quarter, so I may find I blow the 12 out of the water.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #911 on: January 15, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
The Gender Game by Bella Forrest (1st book in the series).

I am about 1/3 of the way through...the author has a writing style that is very easy to read.  It is keeping me engaged and I plan to read the rest of the series.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #912 on: January 15, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
The Night Bird - Brian Freeman.

A Kindle First book. So far pretty interesting and a very easy read.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #913 on: January 16, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
As part of my push to read some of the classics, I'm reading Brave New World by Huxley.  Much faster/easier read than the last classic I read - Lolita.  So far BNW reminds me a lot of Philip K Dick's work - amazing ideas with only so-so writing style. 
Frugalite in training.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #914 on: January 18, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
currently reading star wars:rogue one

rpr

• Bristles
« Reply #915 on: January 18, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
Walking on Sunshine: 52 small steps to happiness by Rachel Kelly

Short and sweet. It is a quick easy read. Each step/chapter is only two pages long. While the ideas it contains have been around, I liked the compilation and arrangement by the author.  Bonus -  some wonderful poetry snippets (other poets) along with illustrations.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #916 on: January 27, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
Leviathan Wakes.  Wow, that was really good.  I connected with the two themes of mutually assured destruction and disclosing secrets that cause pandemonium.

currently picking my way through Merchants of Doubt. 

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #917 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:52 PM »
 “Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden’s Syndrome” by John Scalzi.

Actually just finished this short backstory for "Lock In" by John Scalzi which I was trying to read. It was making little sense. Now, it makes sense.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #918 on: January 28, 2017, 08:34:24 AM »
Octavia Butler's "Kindred" just came out as a graphic novel, so I'm reading that.

Also reading "Staying with the Trouble: Making Kin in the Cthulucene" by Donna Haraway. Pretty dense feminist writing, right at the bleeding edge, so it's making my brain hurt a little but in a good way.
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #919 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
"Dreams of the Rocket Man" by C Stuart Hardwick.

Genre is sci-fi, it reminds me of Asimov, where a great story is woven in with sci-fi, and the story ends up being a great story and not just a sci-fi story.

He has it for free on his web site.  Short story, very very nicely written. (I am nominating it!)

http://cstuarthardwick.com/sample/

BTW, I just followed his link from quora, no relation or connection to him.

VeroXX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #920 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
Currently I am reading "4 hour workweek" by Tim Ferris.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #921 on: January 30, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
"The Year of Living Danishly" by Helen Russell.  So far, so good.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #922 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
Finished The Great Gatsby and moving on to Catcher in the Rye.  Oh dear god is Holden Caulfield a complainypants.  I hope it gets better, I'm about 50 pages into it.
Frugalite in training.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #923 on: January 30, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
Catcher is amazing if you're an angsty teen.

I could see being annoyed at it as an adult, but it will always hold a special place for me.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #924 on: January 30, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
Catcher is amazing if you're an angsty teen.

I could see being annoyed at it as an adult, but it will always hold a special place for me.

Well, as a 44 year old man, I'm certainly no longer an angsty teen :D  I hate when people bash classics in order to make it seem like they are superior to the material.  Me, I look for things to like and/or respect in a classic work, even if it doesn't resonate with me.

I will say this though - as a modern reader, I do get a strong "in the closet gay man" vibe from Holden.  I'm sure back in the early 50's they couldn't even begin to hint at that explicitly, but for me it explains a lot of his obsession with others being 'phoney' (projection), his lack of any real interest in girls, and doing things like hanging out in the bathroom watching his "sexy bastard" guy friend get ready for a date while half clothed.  It's just a theory at the moment, we'll see if it holds up, but if it does, I think it makes him much more understandable and more sympathetic.
Frugalite in training.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #925 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »
Wow, I've read it many times and never thought of that.

Makes the scene where he wakes up and the teacher is sitting there make sense, too--something completely innocent that he saw as creepy because of his view on the world.

I still don't think it's "correct," but it's a neat theory.  Thanks for the thought!  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #926 on: January 31, 2017, 06:50:34 AM »
Just finished Babylon's Ashes, the most recent (6th) book in the Expanse series. Goddamn these books are so much fun. I can't wait to see how the later books/seasons look on the TV show. I know this is the Books thread but everyone should watch The Expanse tv series!

BeginnerStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #927 on: January 31, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »
Finally checked out Hillbilly Elegy after being on the waiting list for 3 months. So far a great and eye opening read.

I get the feeling I might have run across the author growing up since our school districts were in the same sports conference. 

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #928 on: January 31, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »
War and Peace, for I think the fourth time.  I've always loved it, and re-reading it is like returning to an old friend. 

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #929 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
ENDER'S GAME

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #930 on: January 31, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
ENDER'S GAME

One of my favorites.

If you like military sci-fi, I would suggest these
  • Starship Troopers : Heinlien (the movie was awful, book is awesome)
  • Old Mans War : John Scalzi
  • Startide Rising: David Brin (this one is complex, I am re-reading this about the 20th time. Each time, I find new stuff which I missed previously)

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #931 on: January 31, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
ENDER'S GAME

One of my favorites.

If you like military sci-fi, I would suggest these
  • Starship Troopers : Heinlien (the movie was awful, book is awesome)
  • Old Mans War : John Scalzi
  • Startide Rising: David Brin (this one is complex, I am re-reading this about the 20th time. Each time, I find new stuff which I missed previously)

starship troopers was great. i haven't read the other two. i'll check them out.

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »
Just finished _Six Wakes_ by Mur Lafferty.

A murder mystery set on a space ship crewed by 6 clones who just woke up and discovered they had all just been murdered. 

SF mysteries are often tough because of the competing genre expectations, but I think Lafferty does a really good job here.  And the ramifications of there being clones and clone technology in the world was well thought out and added to characterization. 
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #933 on: January 31, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
i also just finished 'the physician' by noah gordon. i think it's the first in a series.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #934 on: February 03, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
Redshirts by John Scalzi. Hilarious book. Set on a starship it echoes Star Trek and is a spoof of the show and others like it.

scantee

• Stubble
« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. At nearly 800 pages, this one should take me a bit to get through. Very interesting though, so far, although I'm only 50 pages on.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #936 on: February 04, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »
Moominvalley in November. Read the other Moomin books first, and maybe read To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf before reading this one.  One of my favorite books for children, and it holds up for adult reading.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #937 on: March 23, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
I'm in the middle of reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.

It's a cross-disciplinary examination of who we (that is, the planet's single remaining human species) are and how we came to be.  It's filled with fascinating insights and has a strong mustachian undercurrent.  One recurring theme is that humankind's perpetual search for an easier (and better) life paradoxically often unwittingly resulted in a more difficult (and worse) life.  The author argues that the same "luxury trap" that causes most members of our current generation to succumb to false promises of a better life by jumping on (and staying on) the consumerist treadmill also operated as a force of change that shaped the history of our species in dramatic ways (such as humankind's shift from foraging to agriculture, a Faustian bargain in which members of our species sacrificed health, leisure and security for perceived benefits that in fact never arrived).

Many of these ideas are not new, but the author, using a fresh perspective, ties them together in novel (and often provocative) ways.

Just finished reading the sequel to this book, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow.  The author uses the same big picture, cross-disciplinary approach with which he examined our species' history in the first book to now predict where we might be heading in the future.  Once again, I detected a strong mustachian undercurrent.  In fact, the entire enterprise can be thought of as a broadening of the scope of mustachianism (which, at its heart, is about improvement through conscious, deliberate choice) from the individual level to the species level -- as the author says in the book's final pages:

Quote from: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
This book traces the origins of our present-day conditioning in order to loosen its grip and enable us to think in far more imaginative ways about our future.  Instead of narrowing our horizons by forecasting a single definitive scenario, the book aims to broaden our horizons and make us aware of a much wider spectrum of options.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #938 on: March 26, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
Citizens:  A Chronicle of the French Revolution

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #939 on: March 26, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
Found this today

http://compellingsciencefiction.com/

There are five editions with five stories each (all free)

Just finished the last one, very very good. If you like sci-fi, cannot beat this price!!!

kellyon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #940 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:03 AM »
Eat, Pray, Love by Gilbert Elizabeth...
just started to read but I like it!

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #941 on: March 28, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
One American Robin by e.a. mann
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #942 on: March 28, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »

Great book. I read it here when he posted about the free download.

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #943 on: March 28, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »
Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

If you like suspense with a twist of quirkiness, I would recommend the Odd Thomas series.

biglawinvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Biglaw Investor
« Reply #944 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
I recently finished reading The Overtaxed Investor by Phil Demuth. I thought it was really good. His idea about ideally having a no dividend index fund really struck a note with me since it's one of the tax drags of my portfolio that it currently spits out dividends during my high income earning years (when I have no such need for the dividends) and I have to pay taxes on those dividends (which I might not have to pay if I retire early).

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #945 on: April 01, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »

Good so far - I'm about​ quarter through.  And yes, I also got it from here when posted.

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #946 on: April 01, 2017, 06:46:32 AM »

Good so far - I'm about​ quarter through.  And yes, I also got it from here when posted.

What I found interesting was that the author is male but he very successfully had a female protagonist.

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
« Reply #947 on: April 01, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
"The Moonlight Palace" by Liz Rosenberg. 1920s Singapore, poverty, last sultan, and bravery. I am much enjoying it.
blog :: stupid debt or journal

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #948 on: April 02, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »

What I found interesting was that the author is male but he very successfully had a female protagonist.

No shit... I didn't know that. Now I feel like such an ass lol.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #949 on: April 03, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
I just finished reading One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey, a short story compiled by Sam Keith from the journals/photographs of Richard Proenneke. Even if you aren't into the outdoors (and if you aren't you should work on it), you have to admit that Dick Proenneke understood the pillars of Mustachianism years before the internet, MMM, or the like (his cabin was built in ~1968):

"Needs? I guess that is what bothers so many folks. They keep expanding their needs until they are dependent on too many things and too many other people. I don't understand economics, and I suppose the country would be in a real mess if people suddenly cut out a lot of things they don't need. I wonder how many things in the average American home could be eliminated if the question were asked, ""Must I really have this?"" I guess most of the extras are chalked up to comfort or saving time.

Funny thing about comfort- one man's comfort is another man's misery. Most people don't work hard enough physically anymore, and comfort is not easy to find. It is surprising how comfortable a hard bunk can be after you come down off a mountain."

Additionally, the man was a virtuoso with woodworking, and to this day his hand-crafted wood cabin, furniture, and tools remain preserved as a testament to fine craftsmanship. Virtually tour his cabin at https://www.nps.gov/lacl/learn/historyculture/proenneke-cabin-virtual-tour.htm
My Log