Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 132002 times)

MustardTiger

• Stubble
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #850 on: September 14, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. So, so good.

I've heard so much praise for this for five or six years now... but he's only got two out of 5 out.

At that rate, he won't be done for another decade!

It's been on my Evernote Books To Read list for years and years.  But I won't cave!

I made the mistake of reading Game of Thrones lately.  All done with the series, now I have to wait for more.  Ugh.

I shouldn't have broken my policy of reading from an incomplete series.

Thus why I just downloaded all of these:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

YA Fantasy. Loving it. Also excited that its a completed trilogy, so no waiting on sequels.

Bracken Joy sold me with that last sentence!  :)

Way of Kings was so great and and 2nd was even better.  The Stormlight Archives will go down as goat when it is done, but ya only two books out is frustrating.

Currently reading Dune:Messiah.  Don't know why but I am struggling to get through this.  Dune is one of my all time favorites but this so far is very thin on plot and heavy on the philosophy.  I do like how Herbert writes the traditional hero's journey and then just flips the script completely.  I will probably read this one and then decide whether I want to continue the series.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #851 on: September 20, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »
I read part of 'Hall of Small Mammals' by Thomas Pierce, then put it down. It was pretentious and the man doesn't understand the concept of a story having a beginning, middle, and end. Very frustrating.

ThreadCookie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #852 on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
I'm reading The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth which I suspect is a pen name but would be awesome if it wasn't! It's written in a sort of fake old English and takes a lot of concentration to get through. I'm enjoying it so far!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #853 on: September 20, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »

Thus why I just downloaded all of these:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

YA Fantasy. Loving it. Also excited that its a completed trilogy, so no waiting on sequels.

Bracken Joy sold me with that last sentence!  :)

Started the first one yesterday.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Russ

• Global Moderator
  • Handlebar Stache
    • AROUSE OSU
« Reply #854 on: September 20, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
Read some things this summer

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #855 on: September 20, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
Oh god, I just finished The Obelisk Gate, second book in The Broken Earth series by N.K. Jemisin. So good. I read the first book in the trilogy a few months ago, and howled when I realized the series wasn't completed. I managed to miss the publication date for the second book, and found it by happenstance on Sunday. Completed it early today. I've basically put my life on hold to finish this book.

Now I have to wait for the third. So impatient.

I'm also impatient for Patrick Rothfuss to hurry the fuck up, and publish Kingkiller Chronicles book 3. And for Brandon Sanderson to publish The Stormlight Chronicles book 3. And I still have a thread of hope Melanie Rawn will publish the final book in the Exiles trilogy. I'm wavering on Rothfuss, but I trust Sanderson to produce. Basically, I'm in thrall to authors. They own my imagination, and much of my angst.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #856 on: September 20, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »
Oh god, I just finished The Obelisk Gate, second book in The Broken Earth series by N.K. Jemisin. So good. I read the first book in the trilogy a few months ago, and howled when I realized the series wasn't completed. I managed to miss the publication date for the second book, and found it by happenstance on Sunday. Completed it early today. I've basically put my life on hold to finish this book.

I'm also impatient for Patrick Rothfuss to hurry the fuck up, and publish Kingkiller Chronicles book 3. And for Brandon Sanderson to publish The Stormlight Chronicles book 3. And I still have a thread of hope Melanie Rawn will publish the final book in the Exiles trilogy. I'm wavering on Rothfuss, but I trust Sanderson to produce. Basically, I'm in thrall to authors. They own my imagination, and much of my angst.

Ha, this is why I hate starting unfinished series.  I've vowed to never start an unfinished series ever again.  Too many good books to leave myself in that agony, plus I never remember as much about the earlier books when I have to wait too long for the next one. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #857 on: September 21, 2016, 12:17:11 AM »

At least she seems to write fast.

From Wikipedia:

The Inheritance trilogy:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (2010)
The Broken Kingdoms (2010)
The Kingdom of Gods (2011)

Dreamblood series:
The Killing Moon (2012)
The Shadowed Sun (2012)

The Broken Earth trilogy:
The Fifth Season (August 2015)
The Obelisk Gate (August 2016)

So you have maybe a year, at most, possibly sooner?  Based on her previous speed in those other series, at least (this year gap was the longest so far, so maybe it'll increase).

Much better than the 3-5 year gaps from some authors.  :)

Added this series to my list to get when the final one is out!  (Assuming I like her Inheritance trilogy--halfway through the first one, pretty good so far.)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

Asara90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ISO Certification Service
« Reply #858 on: September 21, 2016, 01:24:04 AM »
A History of Beer and Brewing - Ian Spencer Hornsey

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: September 21, 2016, 02:25:31 AM »
Ha, this is why I hate starting unfinished series.  I've vowed to never start an unfinished series ever again.  Too many good books to leave myself in that agony, plus I never remember as much about the earlier books when I have to wait too long for the next one.

I get your point, but also know that when people do this, the series will not get finished.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #860 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

I get your point, but also know that when people do this, the series will not get finished.

With the exception of Rothfuss, I don't mind reading an unfinished series. I'm reading so many series and other books at once I'm not that bothered to wait awhile. Even if the series IS finished I often don't get to the next book for a few months or more. Maybe it's an attention thing. Even when I sit down to read I read a chapter from one book, then a chapter from another, then a page or two of a third. This is especially true for non-fiction books and maybe my brain just needs time between topics to absorb the info. The only time when this doesn't apply is when I'm in the last 1/3rd of a really engaging fiction book.

It's actually getting worse over time and quite annoying.

But Rothfuss!! Dammit! Taking forever and not having a deadline for that book makes my heart hurt!

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #861 on: September 22, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
But Rothfuss!! Dammit! Taking forever and not having a deadline for that book makes my heart hurt!

Which is why I have book 2 on the "To be read" shelf along with Sheppard's Crown and The Kindly Ones.  I'm just stressed that they won't finish well.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #862 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:05 AM »
My "to read" list has just grown exponentially after binge reading through this thread.

I am currently reading "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee

I am disappointed with it.  I feel it goes off in all different directions and I wasn't exactly sure what the point of the story was until about 3/4 of the way through.  Also, I had read "To Kill a Mockingbird" right before (I hadn't read it since high school) and a few things in "Go Set a Watchman" were described in what I remembered as the exact same way as in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (I had already returned TKAM to the library so I couldn't fact check this).  It bothered me for some reason.  Talking to my sister she suggested maybe to tie the books together?  I am not sure you would need to tie them together since the book is set in the same location with most of the same characters.  Anyway, I have about 75 pages left and wouldn't recommend this book....although its possible something fantastic could happen in those last 75 pages that would change my mind--I find it highly unlikely.

jade

• Stubble
« Reply #863 on: September 23, 2016, 01:41:06 AM »
Hi all,

I just started "the empathy problem" by Gavin extence. About a hedge fund manager driven by money, power and success who discovers he has a brain tumour. He tries to ignore it but the tumour has other ideas, and seems to be affecting his personality, making him less unlikeable! Funny and very readable so far.

I just finished "free capital" by Guy Thomas which many here might like. 12 successful private investors are interviewed. It's.about investing but more about the psychological traits of the investors.

BeginnerStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #864 on: September 23, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »
Just finishing up "Undeniable, Evolution and the Science of Creation" - Bill Nye

Started to read "The Selfish Gene."

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #865 on: September 24, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

About half way through--very quick, fun read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

About half way through--very quick, fun read.

Yes, its funny.

But not funny that it pops up every time as unread, even after the 5th time :( Ill try if this post helps.

dcamnc

• Bristles
« Reply #867 on: October 01, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
The latest issue of the Economist.

davisgang90

• Pencil Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #868 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:35 PM »
Salt: A World History

and

The [Un]documented Mark Steyn
Check out my blog.  Early retirement from a military perspective.

http://chartprepping.com

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #869 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Salt is on my to-read list, have heard how interesting it is.

Just finished Ann Patchett's Commonwealth and OMG, OMG. I read a lot and it's one of the best novels I've had the pleasure to read this year.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
What are you READING right now?
« Reply #870 on: October 05, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »
The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore

I recently read, The Fool and wanted to follow up on the (sort of) sequel because of how enjoyable it was to read.  The reason I say "sort of" sequel is because Pocket is the main character in both books.

The Fool was hysterically funny...I'm about 1/3 of the way through and this one isn't quite as funny, but it's still a good laugh.

The Fool is a parody of King Lear and The Serpent of Venice is a parody of both Othello and The Merchant of Venice.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:33:24 PM by SeaKayEl »

cavewoman

• Bristles
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #871 on: October 08, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore

I recently read, The Fool and wanted to follow up on the (sort of) sequel because of how enjoyable it was to read.  The reason I say "sort of" sequel is because Pocket is the main character in both books.

The Fool was hysterically funny...I'm about 1/3 of the way through and this one isn't quite as funny, but it's still a good laugh.

The Fool is a parody of King Lear and The Serpent of Venice is a parody of both Othello and The Merchant of Venice.

I really enjoy Christopher Moore. My favorite is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend.
His books are great as audio books for road trips

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #872 on: October 08, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »
cavewoman-->Next Christopher Moore book I read will have to be that one!  I will have to remember his audio books for road trips--that would be entertaining as hell.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:26:43 PM by SeaKayEl »

redbird

• Bristles
« Reply #873 on: October 08, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Set another goal for myself. I'm going to try to read 1 book per week.

The one for this week is The Girl in The Spider's Web, the post-original author's death sequel to the Millennium series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). It's OK. I don't think the new author actually understands the characters. If he writes any more, I probably won't bother.
FIREd! as of Sep 4, 2015

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #874 on: October 08, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »
cavewoman-->Next Christopher Moore book I read will have to be that one!  I will have to remember his audio books for road trips--that would be entertaining as hell.

I like the San Francisco books: You Suck, Bite Me, A Dirty Job--haven't finished Secondhand Souls yet. I think my favorite, though, is the Christmas book The Stupidest Angel (involves a LOT of characters from previous books, but still fun even if you haven't read them.) Come to think of it, I think my brother made off with my copy. Must retrieve before Xmas.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #875 on: October 09, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »

I like the San Francisco books: You Suck, Bite Me, A Dirty Job--haven't finished Secondhand Souls yet. I think my favorite, though, is the Christmas book The Stupidest Angel (involves a LOT of characters from previous books, but still fun even if you haven't read them.) Come to think of it, I think my brother made off with my copy. Must retrieve before Xmas.

It seems like no matter what book of his I grab next I will be highly entertained.  I am just happy that a co-worker had suggested his works because he thought they would mesh with my sense of humor--because they definitely do.

To change pace here, I am now reading "Harvard Business Review's 10 Must Reads On Emotional Intelligence" and the June 2016 issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #876 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
I'm reading a book on Sumeria. It's pretty neat how much we know about people who lived five thousand years ago.

Dmoneyzzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life's either a daring adventure or nothing at all
« Reply #877 on: October 14, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
I am currently studying The Millionaire Fastlane by M.J. DeMarco.

I have read the book once, I finished a couple of days ago and now I am studying the book chapter by chapter.  I am taking specific action steps to apply the book now!

I have envisioned creating a course to study the book so that is my next life project.

I really enjoy books because they can enlighten and inspire the reader to take actions to improve their life.  Books are the bomb!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:07:34 PM by Dmoneyzzz »
Enjoy the Incredible Journey Towards The Good Life With Us @ http://TheDPLibrary.com

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #878 on: October 19, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
In anticipation of the start of the basketball season next week I am reading:

Not a Game: The Incredible Rise and Unthinkable Fall of Allen Iverson

And

Dynasty's End: Bill Russell and the 1968-69 World Champion Boston Celtics

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #879 on: October 20, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas L. Freidman

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #880 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #881 on: October 20, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
My "to read" list has just grown exponentially after binge reading through this thread.

I am disappointed with it.  I feel it goes off in all different directions and I wasn't exactly sure what the point of the story was until about 3/4 of the way through.  Also, I had read "To Kill a Mockingbird" right before (I hadn't read it since high school) and a few things in "Go Set a Watchman" were described in what I remembered as the exact same way as in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (I had already returned TKAM to the library so I couldn't fact check this).  It bothered me for some reason.  Talking to my sister she suggested maybe to tie the books together?  I am not sure you would need to tie them together since the book is set in the same location with most of the same characters.  Anyway, I have about 75 pages left and wouldn't recommend this book....although its possible something fantastic could happen in those last 75 pages that would change my mind--I find it highly unlikely.

When GSAW came out there was some controversy. Apparently the author never wanted it published and it seemed like it was a first draft of TKAM. It was suggested that the author suffered from dementia and was manipulated into allowing the publication. TKAM made me bawl, so I didn't see the need to read GSAW, but I know many people who were upset. They felt a great literary classic had been stomped on.

I'm reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I think the movie was better.

davisgang90

• Pencil Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #882 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:03 AM »
The History of the World in Six Glasses.
Check out my blog.  Early retirement from a military perspective.

http://chartprepping.com

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #884 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »
Who Cooked Adam Smith's Dinner?: A Story About Women and Economics - K Marcal.

I'm reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I think the movie was better.

I love both.:)

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #885 on: November 12, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »

When GSAW came out there was some controversy. Apparently the author never wanted it published and it seemed like it was a first draft of TKAM. It was suggested that the author suffered from dementia and was manipulated into allowing the publication. TKAM made me bawl, so I didn't see the need to read GSAW, but I know many people who were upset. They felt a great literary classic had been stomped on.

I didn't know that, interesting...It definitely has not ruined TKAM for me, but I think I just had some pretty high expectations going into it.

Just started Descent by Tim Johnston

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: November 12, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »
Julia Quinn's 'What Happens in London' 'cause I want a happily ever after right now.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #887 on: November 14, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
I like to read a book and then listen to it on audiotape.  Did that recently with the Illiad, the Odyssey, War & Peace and Moby Dick.  Read the Brothers Karamazov twice, doing the audio cd of it now.  Just finished Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce (much easier going than Ulysses).  And just got started on Lolita by Nabakov.

Looking back, I'm continually amazed at how poor my education/exposure was to these classics.  And I had a pretty decent education.  Trying to make up for lost time.
Frugalite in training.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
STILL reading the Codex Alera novels by Jim Butcher. On the last one now. It is amazing how long the series he writes are. They actually slow me down a bit...
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #889 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »
I have a weird fondness for YA novels from the 1940s-1960s. Through sheer coincidence, this week I happened to pick one up that has been sitting on my shelf for quite awhile--Tradition, by Anne Emery. The plot concerns a Japanese family that move to a midwestern community in 1945, and the reaction of the neighbors. It was fascinating...if you subbed in a Muslim family, it could easily have taken place in the present day. I thought it was very well-done for its time, in that the white family who are the main characters take awhile to come around to the idea of the new neighbors (especially as they have a son fighting in the Pacific).

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #890 on: November 16, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »
I probably learned the most from the Smyslov volume, but I'm reading the Fischer one now.

"Of my fifty-seven years I have applied at least thirty to forgetting most of what I had learned or read, and since I succeeded in this I have acquired a certain ease and cheer which I should never again like to be without."  World Chess Champion Emanuel Lasker

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #891 on: November 16, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
My husband own this HUGE Dragonlance Chronicles book that he wants me to try out. I figure, sure why not. So starting tonight I will be starting the Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #892 on: November 17, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »
My husband own this HUGE Dragonlance Chronicles book that he wants me to try out. I figure, sure why not. So starting tonight I will be starting the Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Great series.  At least the early ones, which is what I read way back when.   Sturm Brightblade, Raistlin, etc..
Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Semi-ERd: September 2015 at 42.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #893 on: December 04, 2016, 09:46:03 AM »

Just started Descent by Tim Johnston

Just finished Descent.  I wouldn't recommend this book.  I found it very hard to get through and wasn't impressed by anything about it.  The first thing that turned me off was the author's style of writing.  I did not like how he wrote at all.  Also, I have yet to read a book where each chapter goes to a different time and/or different character.  The transitions for this were not well written and at times I found myself wondering who the chapter was about or how it fit into the story.  I figured the plot may be good enough to keep my attention and overlook these things....but it wasn't.  It wasn't until page 280(!!) that it felt like a thriller, but that only lasted a couple dozen pages.  I also think the book went on much longer than necessary after the climax of the story.

Next up....completing the Hitchhikers Guide Series.  I have recently read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" so now it is onto "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe," "Life, the Universe and Everything," "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish," "Mostly Harmless," and "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #894 on: December 04, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #895 on: December 05, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
The Monsters of Templeton. I'd loom up the author but there is a cat lying on top me so I can't move. Good book though. After that I have a romance novel I bought from the library for fifty cents.

FLBiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #896 on: December 06, 2016, 07:29:59 AM »

Great series.  At least the early ones, which is what I read way back when.   Sturm Brightblade, Raistlin, etc..

Wow that takes me back.  I loved those!

I'm currently reading Anathem by Neil Stephenson.  It's absolutely amazing.  It's a great sci-fi story, and the ideas on consciousness that he develops over the course of the book (I'm about 2/3 in) are really interesting.  It's set on a world (very much like Earth) where scientist / philosopher types are cloistered away for 1, 10, 100 or 1000 years at a time to think deep thoughts.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #897 on: December 08, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

Wow that takes me back.  I loved those!

I'm currently reading Anathem by Neil Stephenson.  It's absolutely amazing.  It's a great sci-fi story, and the ideas on consciousness that he develops over the course of the book (I'm about 2/3 in) are really interesting.  It's set on a world (very much like Earth) where scientist / philosopher types are cloistered away for 1, 10, 100 or 1000 years at a time to think deep thoughts.

yay, I loved these books too when I was in grade school.
I checked it from the library for my kid last week.
But she has TOO many books queued up and may not get around to it.
Apparently, it doesn't compare to Last Kids on Earth

I'm about halfway through Hidden Life of Trees.
A great book which may affect how I walk through forests the rest of my life.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #898 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
yay, I loved these books too when I was in grade school.
I checked it from the library for my kid last week.
But she has TOO many books queued up and may not get around to it.
Apparently, it doesn't compare to Last Kids on Earth

I'm about halfway through Hidden Life of Trees.
A great book which may affect how I walk through forests the rest of my life.

Add to her pile.  The Chronicles of Prydain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain) series is fantastic as well.  It is based on Welsh mythology (the Mabinogion mostly).
Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Semi-ERd: September 2015 at 42.

YummyRaisins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #899 on: December 08, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »
Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

Psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor with his perspective on how to find meaning in your life. I figure if anybody knows how, this guy would.