Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762495 times)

EricL

Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
I just finished The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker per a recommendation from jfr_rose and others in a MMM board topic on self defense.  It's a very good book that validates and explains intuition and how it can save you in life or death situations.  If you're smart enough to heed it.  It also has many other useful insights into violence, its causes, threats, and worry, and risk assessments.

Spoiler: I never thought Bobby McFerrin's song Don't Worry Be Happy might not only cease to annoy me, but potentially save my life!  (In certain contexts)

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
P.G. Wodehouse, Blandings Castle series. Funny, relaxing (nothing bad ever happens) and so nice to know that money and family problems were just as bad back then!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »

sequel time

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bryson. It's all sciency, pretty good.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:59 PM »

That's a good one.  Get the special illustrated version if you can.  It's amazing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »

That's a good one.  Get the special illustrated version if you can.  It's amazing.

I got it on a Kindle on Overdrive, does that have B&W illustrations? I will fly into a rage if it doesn't.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
Rage on.

Normal: http://www.amazon.com/A-Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/076790818X

Special Illustrated: http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Nearly-Everything-Illustrated-ebook/dp/B004CFAWES

It's worth checking out in person from a library - the illustrated version is gorgeous.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »
I WILL RAGE,

However, since I am not illiterate, I will finish the shit out of this book... then look at them picktures at a library.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2014, 11:23:25 PM »
However, since I am not illiterate, I will finish the shit out of this book... then look at them picktures at a library.

That's what I did, my first reading was the original, and it was well worth reading.

He's a master of the analogy to help comprehend ridiculously large and ridiculously small things.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »
Choosing Simplicity - Linda Pierce.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (well, I haven't started it yet, but I've packed it for tomorrow's 10-hour bus trip)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
I got "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter" from the library (finally) and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks to all ninety of the people who recommended it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: September 07, 2014, 05:28:55 AM »
I just read Wendell Berry's poem Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front.  Powerful stuff.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
Some frugal blogs online and then I have some free books to read on my kindle.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
I just read Wendell Berry's poem Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front.  Powerful stuff.

I like the sound of that. Just finished Gene Logsdon's *The Contrary Farmer*, which I liked quite a lot. Seriously frugal dude.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »
I keep re-reading By the Lake by John McGahern.  Kind of a typical-sounding book about life in a small Irish town but it's very well done, simple writing style but the personalities and relationships are sharply drawn and unique.

I was going to say it doesn't have anything to do with FIRE but now that I think of it, the main couple left their jobs in England to pursue a quiet farming life and another character who's squirreled away a lot of money decides to sell his business.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
Peak Everything by Richard Heinberg.

Dude is kind of apocalyptic about how fossil fuel shortages are going to radically alter all facets of western society.  He tries very hard to make it all sound very reasonable, but I bet he secretly lives in an underground bunker.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
Peak Everything by Richard Heinberg.

Dude is kind of apocalyptic about how fossil fuel shortages are going to radically alter all facets of western society.  He tries very hard to make it all sound very reasonable, but I bet he secretly lives in an underground bunker.

I read this.  Lots of interesting (and scary) points but I hope his timeline is off.  Broad implications for the global economy, IMO, and therefore long-term FIRE plans which are based on the idea of perpetual growth.  I know MMM had an article about how he believes humanity will think our way out of everything including peak everything (economists believe in substitution but for some things there really are no substitute...) but it's one of the few that I can't blindly agree with him on.  I want to, but it's hard to take a faith-based approach on this.

At any rate, I'm reading Pynchon's Inherent Vice.  It's a trip.

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
I just finished Chris Bohjalian's Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands about a nuclear reactor meltdown in northeastern Vermont. Now I reading Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and The Long Way Home by Louise Penny.  The first two I got from the library and the last from my very anti-moustachioed sister.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
Last night I picked up a few books at the library that I had requested, and just now, I hopped over to the library website to order By The Lake, recommended above;-) You guys are awesome! I've read more books this summer than I have in years!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I've been reading a lot of Octavia E. Butler lately -- an African American sci fi writer who put out a lot of great books starting in the 70s.

Just finished Kindred, in which a black woman from 1976 finds herself in Antebellum Maryland. It is so, so good.

I just started Kindred this week. I'm loving it so far. I don't normally like anything with a sci fi focus, but my husband forced me to try it anyway. I'm glad I relented and broadened my horizons.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »
This morning re-read "The Rocking Horse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence.  Short story from 1926 that touches on the stress children go through even in affluent homes where there isn't enough money to cover expenses.

http://readytogoebooks.com/DHL-rock1.htm

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

I'm not usually a fiction reader but so far, this book is excellent and very entertaining!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
I've been reading a lot of Octavia E. Butler lately -- an African American sci fi writer who put out a lot of great books starting in the 70s.

Just finished Kindred, in which a black woman from 1976 finds herself in Antebellum Maryland. It is so, so good.

I just started Kindred this week. I'm loving it so far. I don't normally like anything with a sci fi focus, but my husband forced me to try it anyway. I'm glad I relented and broadened my horizons.

It's so good, right? So much to ponder ... and it's really only tangentially sci-fi, which makes it easier to swallow if you are not a sci-fi fan usually.

I read a trilogy by her that was much more sci-fi-y and also BANANAS called the Xenogenesis Trilogy. Not sure if you would like it but it's really bizarre and thought-provoking ... after human armageddon, an alien species comes to save as much of humanity as it can, because its reason for existing is to collect and blend with other species. The trilogy describes what happens once the species start to mate and blend with each other.

Kind of amazing that all of this came out of one person's imagination!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
I just finished Life of Pi by Martel and The Guns of August by Tuchman, which was a very in depth description of the opening salvos of WWI. Now starting on Thomas Jefferson and the Art of Power by Meacham.

Torgo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
Just finished Earth, by David Brin.

The story built up wonderfully, but then the ending came completely out of left field and was weirder than a Neil Stephenson book...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2014, 04:41:20 AM »
How to want what you have - Timothy Miller.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2014, 04:47:52 AM »
I did a library catalogue search for a particular term (can't remember what now) and it threw up both the book I was looking for, plus a whole bunch of other interesting-looking books which I also ordered.

It's been a bit hit and miss, but I'm loving "An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies" by Tyler Cowen. I'm 90 pages in and looking forward to the rest of it.

He uses some economic principles about how to find good, tasty and relatively cheap food, analyses why some restaurants are awesome value for money (in terms of tasty food) and others aren't, sets himself experiments, like 1 month of only buying food from one particular ethnic supermarket and analyses the results on his life etc etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

I'm not usually a fiction reader but so far, this book is excellent and very entertaining!

I added this to my list after it was recommended in another thread a few months ago, but your post prompted me to go ahead and read it last night. 

I enjoyed it.  It wasn't very deep or anything, but was just a light, quick, fun read.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
I'm currently reading the second book in Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy.  Good but LONG.  I've made notes of some books others here have recommended--thanks in advance!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
arebelspy,

You must be a very quick reader! I'm still plugging away at it! haha

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: September 17, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »
arebelspy,

You must be a very quick reader! I'm still plugging away at it! haha

I dedicated a few hours to it.  :)

swallowtail

« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »

It's so good, right? So much to ponder ... and it's really only tangentially sci-fi, which makes it easier to swallow if you are not a sci-fi fan usually.

I read a trilogy by her that was much more sci-fi-y and also BANANAS called the Xenogenesis Trilogy. Not sure if you would like it but it's really bizarre and thought-provoking ... after human armageddon, an alien species comes to save as much of humanity as it can, because its reason for existing is to collect and blend with other species. The trilogy describes what happens once the species start to mate and blend with each other.

Kind of amazing that all of this came out of one person's imagination!

Hear hear on Kindred being great. I listened to an audiobook version on a road-trip last summer.  The relationship between Rufus and Dana stuck with me.  I will have to check out Xenogenesis.  It sounds a little like the book I am reading now, The Cleft by Doris Lessing, mainly in that both books are about new products of conception moving along the evolutionary project.  Lessing's version is a myth about the first males ever born, as recounted by a Roman historian.  I can't recommend it wholeheartedly; it is a bit repetitive, out there, and simplistic (sophisticated-simplistic sometimes, simplistic-simplistic others).  However, Doris Lessing is a master so when in the right frame of mind, I've enjoyed sinking into the weird little myth she created. 

I also recently finished reading Arcadia by Lauren Groff.  A great little book about a person who grows up on a commune and witnesses its dissolution.  It took me to some emotionally satisfying places, and had a great dialogue style, too. 

Next up is visiting the works of Ms. O'Conner - I have an embarrassing experience deficiency with her work.  I started listening to Wise Blood on a road trip but didn't finish it.  I'm excited to finally read it.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
Really embarrassed that it has taken me so long to fess up, but I love anything Diana Gabaldon has written.  Currently binge reading the first 7 so I can fully enjoy book #8 in the Outlander series.

Its got everything!  Time travel, magic, genealogy, hot married sex, men in kilts, life in colonial US. 

Tried to get through "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" but the dialogue is killing me...its like a 7th grader wrote it.  Hubby insists the message is powerful but I just cant get over the prose.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »
Tried to get through "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" but the dialogue is killing me...its like a 7th grader wrote it.  Hubby insists the message is powerful but I just cant get over the prose.

I enjoyed the zen stories in it.

My wife had trouble getting through the mass bullshit, but she decided to view it as a giant allegory and enjoyed it better.

Don't bother with the movie.  It's really bad.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
Really embarrassed that it has taken me so long to fess up, but I love anything Diana Gabaldon has written.  Currently binge reading the first 7 so I can fully enjoy book #8 in the Outlander series.

Its got everything!  Time travel, magic, genealogy, hot married sex, men in kilts, life in colonial US. 

Diana's a wordy one but damn if her books don't kick all sorts of ass.  Well, except for "The Drums of Autumn."  That completely sucked.

/the new book's awesome

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »
I'm starting the new Linwood Barclay book later today.

kestnuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
Just finished reading The Thief by Clive Cussler and Justin Scott

Clive Cussler's books are great escapism. They're generally not a difficult read, and are pretty consistent, if slightly predictable. This one wasn't quite as good as the last few I've read, but I was still entertained. Worth the $7 for the paperback.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
I just finished this book called: 7, An experimental mutiny against excess

By Jen Hatmaker

Rocked my face off

johnhenry

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
"How to get out of the rat race and live on $10 a month" by George Herter.  It's a classic.

Also binge watching the Roosevelts on PBS/Roku.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
I just finished this book called: 7, An experimental mutiny against excess

By Jen Hatmaker

Rocked my face off

I loved this book too!!!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »
Lisa Bloom's "Swagger". Great book about thug culture and how it influences our sons.

popsy13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2014, 12:59:15 AM »
I have started To Rise Again at a Decent Hour today.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2014, 02:28:34 AM »
Last night I read Are you a lion or a gazelle ?- Sebastiaan van Dort.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2014, 03:59:49 AM »
Just finished Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2014, 06:00:37 AM »
I'm reading The Worst Hard Time, about the Dust Bowl in the 1930s.  Definitely puts some things in perspective.  It's a really good read for a nonfiction book.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »
Finally finished the Jefferson monstrosity, moved on to A Walk In The Woods, by Bryson, it's super funny so far.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
fallstoclimb,

Thanks for the book suggestion. I've been fascinated by the depression era lately and haven't heard of this book yet. Jumped on over to my library's website and requested a copy :-)

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:46 AM »
fallstoclimb,

Thanks for the book suggestion. I've been fascinated by the depression era lately and haven't heard of this book yet. Jumped on over to my library's website and requested a copy :-)

Oh great!  You'll probably love it because it's a different story about the depression than you (or at least I) typically read -- as in, even worse, mostly.  It kind of has a car wreck quality to it because you keep reading on to see how bad it gets, but it has helped me think differently about my cushy office job that I don't like!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!