Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 301792 times)

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1350 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
David Deutsch - The Fabric of Reality.  I actually had started with a different book of his, The Beginning of Infinity but I realized that Beginning of Infinity depended upon understanding a lot of the concepts that were laid down in Fabric of Reality. 

So, about 2/3rd of the way through and I'm stuck on the "Time, the first Quantum concept" chapter.  It goes so against common sense (and even newtonian and einsteinian views of time) that it's really hard to get my head around.  I actually am having to read the damn chapter twice (which never happens to me).  Wish me luck :P

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1351 on: July 02, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »
David Deutsch - The Fabric of Reality.  I actually had started with a different book of his, The Beginning of Infinity but I realized that Beginning of Infinity depended upon understanding a lot of the concepts that were laid down in Fabric of Reality. 

So, about 2/3rd of the way through and I'm stuck on the "Time, the first Quantum concept" chapter.  It goes so against common sense (and even newtonian and einsteinian views of time) that it's really hard to get my head around.  I actually am having to read the damn chapter twice (which never happens to me).  Wish me luck :P

Maybe if the many worlds theory is true, there is a version of you that has read and understood the whole thing. 

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: July 02, 2019, 10:10:08 PM »

Maybe if the many worlds theory is true, there is a version of you that has read and understood the whole thing.

The common sense part of my brain rejects the multiverse theory, but the other part of my brain points out that it used to be "common sense" that the sun literally travelled across the sky while the earth stood still.  So I'm trying to put aside that inherent skepticism and treat the ideas seriously. 

As you point out, there's probably many, many, many versions of me that have no problem with the concept at all.

However, THIS version of me is still trying to get through the damn Time chapter.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:26:38 PM by tyort1 »

BicycleB

• Handlebar Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1353 on: July 02, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Fiction related to the multiverse: The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland.

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1354 on: July 03, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
Fiction related to the multiverse: The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland.

I read that a few months ago.  Pretty good, but IMHO isn't his best work.  This was a collaborative work, IIRC. 

My favorite of his is Cryptonomicon and more recently Seveneves. 

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1355 on: July 03, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »
The slow read: Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky

The faster read: A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa 
 (man, I never knew it was so bad in North Korea.)

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1356 on: July 05, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »
The slow read: Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky

The faster read: A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa 
 (man, I never knew it was so bad in North Korea.)

My Holiday in North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place on Earth by Wendy Simmons

Another quick read if you're interested in North Korea. Probably a much lighter take but through the humor you can see the terrifying level of control.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1357 on: July 05, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
I'm a ~3rd of the way through The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick. I had to travel a lot for work in May & June, and used some airplane/travel time to watch the entirety of this TV show on Amazon. I'm really enjoying the book, which has a lot of very different points than the TV show.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1358 on: July 05, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
I'm reading Vox by Christina Dalcher for my book club.  It is okay but not that great.  But there definitely will be lots of talking points for out meeting. 

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1359 on: July 05, 2019, 09:29:12 PM »
I just finished Wild Swans by Jung Chang.

It's the best thing I've ever read on the Cultural Revolution.

LaineyAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #1360 on: July 09, 2019, 02:53:05 PM »
"Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders.  Fiction based on a real incident of Abraham Lincoln visiting the crypt of his son Willie days after the boy's death.  Saunders imagines the cemetery inhabitants observing this and also their other musings while they are in the "bardo" (a transitional state, like purgatory, according to Tibetan tradition.)
I found it wildly creative and inventive, but most in my book club disliked it.

"The American Agent" by Jacqueline Winspear.  I'm a fan of her fictional series main character, Maisie Dobbs, along with the author's adherence to historical facts.  Her latest book is set in London during the WW2 blitz and she really brings it to life. 

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1361 on: July 10, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »

Finished the book.  The chapter on Time was a slog, but it all came together in the next chapter on Time Travel (and virtual reality).  I'll admit I'm still somewhat skeptical about the whole multiverse theory, but I do have a much better understanding of it after reading this book.  It's not my first book on quantum theory (or quantum mechanics).  But it is probably the best, because Deutsch takes the time to address the various criticisms leveled at it in quite a bit of detail. 

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1362 on: July 12, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
I'm a ~3rd of the way through The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick. I had to travel a lot for work in May & June, and used some airplane/travel time to watch the entirety of this TV show on Amazon. I'm really enjoying the book, which has a lot of very different points than the TV show.

Huh- I'm almost done with this book, and unless anything drastic changes in the way Juliana is portrayed (lead female role), I think this may be one of the few instances where I like the TV show better than the book. In the book Juliana has a lot of insecurities, not very intelligent, is weak, whiny, and seemingly unrelatable even when I speak with other women who have read the book. In the show she still seemingly isn't very intelligent and has a lot of the same insecurities, but carries herself in a more realistic way and is more relatable.

Watchmaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1363 on: July 12, 2019, 12:00:07 PM »
"Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders.  Fiction based on a real incident of Abraham Lincoln visiting the crypt of his son Willie days after the boy's death.  Saunders imagines the cemetery inhabitants observing this and also their other musings while they are in the "bardo" (a transitional state, like purgatory, according to Tibetan tradition.)
I found it wildly creative and inventive, but most in my book club disliked it.

I've heard of that book, but didn't know anything about it. I had never heard the word "bardo" before, and my mind had kinda, sorta filled in that "bardo" must be a word for neighborhood, or a particular neighborhood somewhere (I think I was making a connection to "barrio"). So I learned something today.