Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 267590 times)

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1250 on: October 23, 2018, 04:15:41 PM »
It's okay, I got reincarnated and I'll make different mistakes the second time. No cigars, for one...

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1251 on: October 24, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
It's okay, I got reincarnated and I'll make different mistakes the second time. No cigars, for one...

Whats the alleged Lincoln quote, in response to complaints about Grant's drinking?  "Find out what he drinks and send a case of it to my other generals." 

mountain mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #1252 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:00 PM »
Reading "Winter: Notes from Montana" by Rick Bass

the more I read, the more it is becoming one of my new favorites!

patjk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1253 on: October 24, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
 I've recently been reading "Atomic Habits" by James Clear (from Jamesclear.com) and so far it's great. "The Power of Habit" was a fantastic book and it's always good to refresh building good habits and removing bad ones.

Some of the better books I've read in the last year:
- "Sapiens" by Harari, and his second book "Homo Deus", as well as his third "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" - all incredible and thought provoking
- "The Emerald Mile" on the fastest boat trip through the Grand Canyon in 1983, was a fun read after rafting there earlier this year
- "Enlightenment Now" by Pinker on the current state of the world - excellent read if you're pessimistic about the current state of affairs
- "The Everything Store" on Bezos and Amazon - it's incredible how in 1994 Bezos basically predicted what Amazon is today.

I use Goodreads.com to come up with a strategy of the next book to read as there is never enough time to read all the books I want to, so it seems these days every book I read changes how I think about the world.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1254 on: October 25, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
Right Now: Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage by Annette Lawrence Drew, Christopher Drew, and Sherry Sontag

It's very good.  Got it at a little free library in town.  Fun.  Makes me wish I could remember more about my Navy Days.

Next up: Harvard Business Review book on how to run meetings.  Should come tomorrow.  Our office is horrible at meetings. We have SEVERAL senior people who like to yell, and every meeting devolves into that.  NOBODY can control these meetings, and yet - I get pissed on by the boss (President) when it happens.  If they cannot respect EACH OTHER do you think they will listen to the only female in the room?  I think not.

I've had the best luck at a few meetings when I own the agenda and warn them at the start that I will cut them off.  There have to be more tips in this book.  If not, I should just hang it up because I'm tired of the bullshit.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1255 on: October 26, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
I'm reading "change your schedule, change your life" by Dr Suhas Kshirsagar.

some takeaways so far
1.   sleep before 1030am and wake before 6am
it is not how much you sleep, but when you sleep that helps your body to recover.
the body repairs itself from 10pm to 2am and sleep is most restful in this zone.

2.   do some exercises to wake your body up before breakfast.
this primes your body to wake up and training fasted helps the body to burn fat more easily.
working out at night will make it harder to get to sleep.

3.     have a breakfast, preferably salad and oats. eat the biggest meal by noon, have a light dinner by 7pm. no food after dinner.
regular meals help the digestive system to work better. and no food at night helps the system shut down in preparation to sleep.
it will be more difficult to sleep after a big meal.

4.   take your own pulse as a form of meditation to calm the mind, no electronics , tv or work after 9pm
this will prepare the mind and body to sleep.

i'm a week into this, my insomnia seems to be getting better and i'm waking rested without an alarm.
maybe this will work for some of you with sleep issues..

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1256 on: October 29, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
I envy you that you have time to read. Before, I often read books, now the number of books read has decreased to 1 per year.

SunnyDays

• Stubble
« Reply #1257 on: October 29, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
"The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse" by Louise Erdrich.  It was a last minute grab at Value Village to make up a 5 books for the price of 4 deal several years ago and I'm finally getting around to reading it, and others I was expecting to get rid of this coming spring at a garage sale, but it's unexpectedly good, and will likely be a keeper.  It's fiction about a woman who takes over a dead priest's identity in the 1930s and assumes his mission to minister to an Ojibwe nation in North Dakota.  Now she/he is coming to the end of life, so the dilemma is what to do - confess or not?  Don't know the outcome yet.  The story has other plots within it too, so will have to see how those resolve.

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1258 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
Knocked off The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time over the weekend. 

Interesting.  A pretty quick read. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1259 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
"Murther and Walking Spirits" by Robertson Davies.  Good beginning, kind of a slog in the middle because he's so busy showing off his literary chops it gets in the way of the story.  Picks up at the end again though.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1260 on: November 14, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
A book about the Byzantine Empire.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #1261 on: November 14, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Do audiobooks count? If so, then I am finally getting around to "Your Money or Your Life", via audible. I couldn't help but pass up a free month with a few free book credits.

I finished "The Millionaire Next Door" earlier this week via the same method.

If I have to actually be READING something, then state tax articles. (Boo)

Sugaree

• Stubble
« Reply #1262 on: November 15, 2018, 06:11:57 AM »
I picked up a book at the thrift store yesterday called In The Heart Of The Sea, about the whaleship Essex, which was a real ship that probably inspired Moby Dick. 

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1263 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
I picked up a book at the thrift store yesterday called In The Heart Of The Sea, about the whaleship Essex, which was a real ship that probably inspired Moby Dick.

Movie by the same name a couple years ago starring Thor.

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1264 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir.   Pretty good but not as good as The Martian, of course. 

Now starting The Human Division by Scalzi. 

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #1265 on: November 15, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King.  Haven't picked up a Stephen King book in a long time.  Saw this at Sam's and thought, "What the heck!"  So far, it's pretty good but weird . . as you would expect.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1266 on: November 18, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
Just finished "Infinite Jest".  That was, uhm, intense.

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1267 on: November 18, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »

But was it good?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1268 on: November 19, 2018, 12:48:00 AM »
Re-reading "East of Eden," the John Steinbeck classic.  It has been WAY too long since I read it at first.  So long ago that none of it is familiar to me (yet).

I am also reading "How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease" by Michael Greger, MD. 

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1269 on: November 19, 2018, 03:28:30 AM »
I've finished the following books recently:-

1. Past Tense - the latest Jack Reacher novel. I love all of his novels and this was just as good as the others but it feels a little bit like I've read it before.
2. Skyward- Brandon Sanderson. It was good. I reckon Sanderson is one of the best science fiction/fantasy writers out there.
3. In a house of lies - Ian Rankin. The latest Rebus novel. One of the best crime writers and Rebus is one of the best characters out there.
4. Michael Connelly - Dark Sacred Night. It was good like all his books.
5. The Outsider - Stephen King. Quality book.
6. Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions - Johann Hari. This was really good.
7. Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs - Johann Hari. This was fascinating. It's about the war on drugs and how it hasn't worked.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:55:35 PM by steveo »

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1270 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:49 AM »
There are a bunch of books on my shelf taunting me right now. I'm starting with Herman Hesse's Siddhartha.

sui generis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1271 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »
I'm #483 on my library's list for Becoming by Michelle Obama.  Audiobook read by the author herself!  So looking forward to this - it sounds like it will be fun and fascinating.  My library got 100 audiobook licenses, so it will only be a couple months tops till I get it!  Unfortunately probably not in time for the long drives we'll be doing over the holidays, so my fiance won't get to join in the fun with me...

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1272 on: November 19, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »

But was it good?

Excellent.  Although maybe less interesting to people who donít have depressive or addictive issues.  But for me it was like hearing my own thought patterns and modes of thinking.  All from the perspective of someone waaaay smarter and more perceptive.  It was pretty awesome.

TempusFugit

• Bristles
« Reply #1273 on: November 20, 2018, 07:22:57 AM »

But was it good?

Excellent.  Although maybe less interesting to people who donít have depressive or addictive issues.  But for me it was like hearing my own thought patterns and modes of thinking.  All from the perspective of someone waaaay smarter and more perceptive.  It was pretty awesome.

This is one of those books that lots of people want to read, or want to have read, but gets abandoned pretty frequently.   I may have to sample it and see how it goes. 

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1274 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »

But was it good?

This is one of those books that lots of people want to read, or want to have read, but gets abandoned pretty frequently.   I may have to sample it and see how it goes.

I have abandoned Infinite Jest three times now.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1275 on: November 21, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »

But was it good?

I read it once and quite liked it, but... it is a very immersive read, and takes some effort/concentration to get into. I think you have to be in a frame of mind to read that kind of book.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1276 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »

But was it good?

Excellent.  Although maybe less interesting to people who don’t have depressive or addictive issues.  But for me it was like hearing my own thought patterns and modes of thinking.  All from the perspective of someone waaaay smarter and more perceptive.  It was pretty awesome.

I read it once and quite liked it, but... it is a very immersive read, and takes some effort/concentration to get into. I think you have to be in a frame of mind to read that kind of book.

It's an impressive work of literature but also quite heavy lifting. I'm trying to build up my reading muscles again and trying to tackle Infinite Jest at this juncture would be setting myself up for failure. If anyone has any recommendations for short classics, send them my way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:57:23 AM by Crease »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1277 on: November 28, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
I'm reading a book on Venice.

Dr Kidstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1278 on: November 28, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
Just finished "The Year of Living Danishly" by Helen Russell. Becoming Danish is my recurrent daydream.