Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 248160 times)

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1200 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Currently reading The Great Library trilogy by Rachel Caine. I think it is technically YA but the characters don't feel much like teens. It's an alternate history where the Great Library of Alexandria was never destroyed but instead became an international center of power. It's set in the 21st century but the technology is run by alchemy and steam rather than electricity so it feels like an earlier historical period. One reason I'm enjoying it is that the Library is presented as both good and evil, as are its opponents.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1201 on: August 08, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »
Currently reading "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stephenson.

Gosh this country depresses me.

sui generis

• Bristles
« Reply #1202 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Currently reading "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stephenson.

Gosh this country depresses me.
Oh, that's by the EJI founder!  They are one of my top monthly donation recipients.  Just thinking about the memorial they built makes me choke up.  I don't know if I have the strength of character to visit it in person.  I didn't know there was a book by him, somehow, but it is now added to my list!  Thanks!

I (finally) just read Ender's Game.  Possibly the last person on earth to read it?  I didn't love it most of the way through, but I admired the ending a lot.

I'm currently reading Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood.  Her short stories (and some of her longer ones!) disorient me and I feel like I'm not really fully "getting it" all the time and feel a little uncomfortable with them. But I do mostly enjoy them and feel like I'm doing something valuable by just exposing myself to them, feeling slightly uncomfortable and not fully getting them.  Maybe if I keep doing it I'll get it someday, or maybe it's just good to feel uncertain and uncomfortable with some stuff.

TempusFugit

• Stubble
« Reply #1203 on: August 08, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
Golden Argosy various
The End is Nigh   various
The Truce  Primo Levi
Thinking Fast and Slow Daniel Kahneman
Great Expectations  by Dickens

Several books have been slow progress and I'm working through them in parallel as I sit at restaurants, wait in line, etc via my kindle app.   Couple are physical books that I settle in with at night.

re: Dickens, I'm convinced that high school ruins classic literature for many of us because being forced to read something before you have the maturity to appreciate it is counterproductive.  Not to mention the vocabulary, particularly the terms for things that do not exist in our modern world, can be frustrating.  Being older and having been exposed to period movies and such, makes it much less of an obstacle. 

Going back and reading (or re-reading) some of the classics can be a much more enjoyable experience.

But I still hate Grapes of Wrath with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns and will never open that book again. 

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1204 on: August 08, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier since jlcollins likes it so much.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1205 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »
Infinite Jest - about 100 pages in.  It might be a while before I finish, it's 1100 pages long!  And dense prose, not even close to light reading. 

Its very rare that I read a book and think "whoah, this dude is freaking smart".  But yeah, this dude is crazy smart.  And with a wicked sense of humor. 

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1206 on: August 12, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »

We just watched the movie again, and DH apparently completely forgot the ending?  I don't know how that happens with a story like this.  I also didn't know there was a book, now I'll have to read it :)

re: Dickens, I'm convinced that high school ruins classic literature for many of us because being forced to read something before you have the maturity to appreciate it is counterproductive.  Not to mention the vocabulary, particularly the terms for things that do not exist in our modern world, can be frustrating.  Being older and having been exposed to period movies and such, makes it much less of an obstacle. 

Going back and reading (or re-reading) some of the classics can be a much more enjoyable experience.

But I still hate Grapes of Wrath with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns and will never open that book again. 

This sounds right.  There are a lot of books that I read in HS and remember hating (for example, Wuthering Heights, Ethan Frome, and yes, Grapes of Wrath) that would probably make a lot more sense now.  I should probably stop my YA streak and read a real novel again.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1207 on: August 12, 2018, 07:25:28 AM »

We just watched the movie again, and DH apparently completely forgot the ending?  I don't know how that happens with a story like this.  I also didn't know there was a book, now I'll have to read it :)

This sounds right.  There are a lot of books that I read in HS and remember hating (for example, Wuthering Heights, Ethan Frome, and yes, Grapes of Wrath) that would probably make a lot more sense now.  I should probably stop my YA streak and read a real novel again.

It is not oinly the age, it is also the difference of "must" and "want".

I - as a guy! - even read Pride and Prejudice. But it took me two or three month. It wasn't THAT bad a book because I could take breakes ;)
In school in two weeks instead? And then "talking about what your think" or even worse "what you feel", at age 16? :D

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1208 on: August 12, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »

I - as a guy! - even read Pride and Prejudice. But it took me two or three month. It wasn't THAT bad a book because I could take breakes ;)
In school in two weeks instead? And then "talking about what your think" or even worse "what you feel", at age 16? :D

This so much!! I had to take 2 semesters of Civ in college and hated the books we had to read.  I kept all of them and have read some since and enjoyed them. In addition to the "talking about what you think" or "what you feel" I hated the whole allegory parts where the professor is saying "this is what the author meant by this". Unless the author has a companion book explaining all this, how do you know? Also my reading style and preference is not to try to interpret the author's meaning.

ETA: Currently reading "Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers" by Nick Offerman
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:00:17 AM by Proud Foot »

TempusFugit

• Stubble
« Reply #1209 on: August 12, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »

It probably didn't help that I read Grapes of Wrath in basically one weekend.  I procrastinated a lot on that one.  And my teacher at the time specifically warned us that her questions on the test would not be found in any Cliff's Notes or film adaptations.   She asked things like "what color were Tom's shoes?"  (yellow)  and "What did the sign in the store window say?" (caveat emptor). 

As much as I hate GoW to this day, I will say this:  I happened upon a slight little book by Steinbeck a few years ago called Travels with Charlie which is a non-fiction account of his cross country road trip in 1960 accompanied by his dog Charlie.  At a breezy 200ish pages, I can recommend this one to others without hesitation. 

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1210 on: August 12, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
Unless the author has a companion book explaining all this, how do you know?
Haha, yes!

It is a real and true trope that authors are always surprised by what they were thinking when writing something - according to critics and such like readers who have never talked a word to the author.

her questions on the test would not be found in any Cliff's Notes or film adaptations.   She asked things like "what color were Tom's shoes?"  (yellow)  and "What did the sign in the store window say?" (caveat emptor).

Ugh. I probably would never be able to remember those things.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1211 on: August 12, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »

ha. I would certainly never forget that ending.
Spoiler: show
The "her lover dies but it's OK because she gets a kid out of it" trope does not resonate with me.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1212 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
Unless the author has a companion book explaining all this, how do you know?
Haha, yes!

It is a real and true trope that authors are always surprised by what they were thinking when writing something - according to critics and such like readers who have never talked a word to the author.

In high school I had a teacher who was a  poet--successful enough that she had some poems printed in a textbook of regional literature meant for high school students. She said she was extremely surprised to discover what her poems were about!

I also had the experience that reading classics was more successful after the high school and college period. Somehow, I never read any Jane Austen until I was in my mid-twenties! For me, a big part of the enjoyment was finding connections (or contrasts) between my 21st-century life and the experiences depicted by authors in very different times and places, and I needed a little more life experience myself before I was ready for that.

I have actually read that many college English professors would really prefer that high school English classes work on writing (which a lot of students are deficient in) and practice analysis on contemporary literature and leave the classic literature to them, because they spend so much time dealing with students who either didn't understand what they read or developed a dislike for it, but I suppose high school teachers are thinking that their classes may be the only chance for some students to develop cultural literacy in these works. 

TempusFugit

• Stubble
« Reply #1213 on: August 13, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
...I suppose high school teachers are thinking that their classes may be the only chance for some students to develop cultural literacy in these works.

I think one could argue that it would be best if they attempted to just get students to enjoy reading. Almost anything. Instead, I'm afraid we too often get kids who now hate reading because their exposure was to books that are not for them. 

I heard Kevin Kelly interviewed once (author and founder of Wired magazine, a neat dude if you read up on him) where his final piece of advice to everyone listening was "If you don't already, read at least ten books each year. They can be about anything.  It will change your life."

I can't imagine life without reading.  We've all heard the quote about cowards dying a thousands deaths, where the brave man dies only once. 

I think - and perhaps I've read this someplace, I don't know - that people who don't read live only one life, but readers live many.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: August 14, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
Just finished reading "The Dry" by Jane Harper. Thought it was fantastic.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1215 on: August 14, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
...I suppose high school teachers are thinking that their classes may be the only chance for some students to develop cultural literacy in these works.

I think one could argue that it would be best if they attempted to just get students to enjoy reading. Almost anything. Instead, I'm afraid we too often get kids who now hate reading because their exposure was to books that are not for them. 

I heard Kevin Kelly interviewed once (author and founder of Wired magazine, a neat dude if you read up on him) where his final piece of advice to everyone listening was "If you don't already, read at least ten books each year. They can be about anything.  It will change your life."

I can't imagine life without reading.  We've all heard the quote about cowards dying a thousands deaths, where the brave man dies only once. 

I think - and perhaps I've read this someplace, I don't know - that people who don't read live only one life, but readers live many.

For some people it is true that reading is not for them.  They might find engagement with cinema or music.  Both cinema and music can produce art equal to anything produced in books. 

Of course I love all 3, and I end up with not enough time to experience all of it.  Never enough time....

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1216 on: August 14, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
Just finished reading
"For today I am a Boy" - Kim Fu

I didnt really enjoy this, I found it hard to like the main character though I understood and felt sympathy for her situation.

and starting

"The Bankers Wife" -Cristina Alger
I am enjoying it so far

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1217 on: August 15, 2018, 06:28:46 AM »

For some people it is true that reading is not for them.  They might find engagement with cinema or music.  Both cinema and music can produce art equal to anything produced in books. 

Of course I love all 3, and I end up with not enough time to experience all of it.  Never enough time....

As an opposing point, one of my FB acquaintances (who loves to read) posted a meme yesterday that said "Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating."

I can't imagine not reading.  I have read 6(?) books in the last two weeks.  Granted, they're all re-reads of a mystery series I love, plus the Golden Compass, so they're not exactly deep or "literary", but still.  I'd rather read than watch a movie almost any day.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #1218 on: August 15, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »
Just finished "Ilium" by Dan Simmons (most famous for the Hyperion Cantos series).  *insert head exploding smiley here*

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1219 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »

As an opposing point, one of my FB acquaintances (who loves to read) posted a meme yesterday that said "Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating."

I can't imagine not reading.  I have read 6(?) books in the last two weeks.  Granted, they're all re-reads of a mystery series I love, plus the Golden Compass, so they're not exactly deep or "literary", but still.  I'd rather read than watch a movie almost any day.

Some people are just more visual.  Not saying your FB acquaintance isn't an idiot (sounds like they are).  I'm just saying that I'd put something by Tarkovsky or Bela Tarr or Kubrick against anything produced by any other art form and it'd stand up very nicely. 

I'm not speaking about people that don't read and would rather watch The Bachelor or The Hangover or and Adam Sandler movie.  I'm talking about cinephiles.  Bibliophiles are not better than cinephiles.  Any art form can produce crap and any art form can produce sublime works. 

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1220 on: August 15, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
Just finished "Ilium" by Dan Simmons (most famous for the Hyperion Cantos series).  *insert head exploding smiley here*

Man, Ilium/Olympos were weird, but I did end up liking them. I was pretty familiar with the Iliad going in, but having never read/seen The Tempest I'm not sure if familiarity with that would make it easier to understand. I think the Hyperion series is still his best work (that I've read, at least) although I really enjoyed The Terror as well.

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1221 on: August 15, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »

Man, Ilium/Olympos were weird, but I did end up liking them. I was pretty familiar with the Iliad going in, but having never read/seen The Tempest I'm not sure if familiarity with that would make it easier to understand. I think the Hyperion series is still his best work (that I've read, at least) although I really enjoyed The Terror as well.

Dan Simmons is awesome :)