Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 242652 times)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1200 on: June 13, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »

Currently reading The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin, book one of a series.  It was harder to get into than I thought, but it has really picked up about 30% in.  I think I got the rec of Jemisin from this thread, and thoroughly enjoyed the Inheritance Trilogy.

Interesting..I could not get into the Broken Earth trilogy of hers, though I desperately wanted to love a female author of this genre.  I read two of them and am not pursuing the third.  I wonder if the Inheritance Trilogy is easier to get into?

It depends on why you weren't able to get into Broken Earth. Inheritance is less bleak? A more traditional fantasy setting with court intrigue.

Have you tried Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series? Oh, Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys if you are interested in a reworking of the Lovecraft mythos.

I'm more into the sf atm. So if you think of SF and fantasy in the same breath - Martha Well's _All Systems Red_ is a fun novella. Emma Newman's _After Atlas_ is a near future dystopia. Ann Leckie's _Ancillary Justice_ was one of the best sf books of the past decade imo. Mur Lafferty's _Six Wakes_ I've mentioned here before as a closed room murder mystery on a spaceship with clones.

I just finished reading A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge - which like so many of her other books is a wonderful fantasy YA novel.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

CM*TO Is a thing!! We have a few bunks left - join us in September.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1201 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Currently reading The Great Library trilogy by Rachel Caine. I think it is technically YA but the characters don't feel much like teens. It's an alternate history where the Great Library of Alexandria was never destroyed but instead became an international center of power. It's set in the 21st century but the technology is run by alchemy and steam rather than electricity so it feels like an earlier historical period. One reason I'm enjoying it is that the Library is presented as both good and evil, as are its opponents.