Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 232749 times)

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1150 on: April 17, 2018, 04:12:47 PM »
Dang, my last 20 books have been nonfiction and many of those have been history. Need to mix it up some.

I just finished At the Existentialist Cafe, which was solid but it took me a few sittings as the subject matter was completely new to me. I did like that the author treated her reader's like adults, unlike the author of The Obstacle is the Way. But it did make the book dense in both the good and bad senses of the word.

Before that I read Peter Ackroyd's latest history of Britain, which was fine. Before that was this fun romp into the WEIRD nuclear past, which was excellent, and a history of the city of Havana. Plus a ton of college football books (6 so far this year).

I've been traveling a lot, and I read a ton when I'm traveling, but that is about to slow down significantly.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1151 on: April 19, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
Juggling The Read-Aloud Family by Sarah MacKenzie and Retrosuburbia by David Holmgren.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Reading with children pays dividends. Recommended resources for Mustachian families: The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease |  The Read-Aloud Revival podcast by Sarah McKenzie | Books to Build On by E.D. Hirsch | The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

calimom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1152 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »
I just finished Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser. It was so interesting! Loved the Little Housebooks as a child and read them to my own children. The book separates fact from fiction, explores uncomfortable truths such as treatment of Native Americans and goes deep into the crazy Libertarian mind of Laura Ingalls Wilder's daughter Rose, who was the brainchild that brought the books to the attention of publishers and the American public.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1153 on: April 20, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.  I figured since I enjoy the board game so much I should try reading the novel that inspired it.  Pretty good so far.
"Money often costs too much."  -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"My other vehicle is an IRA."

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1154 on: April 20, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
P2F so I can get some reading ideas. I finally figured out how to get library books on an app on my phone, so I'm reading a ton lately. But the ebook selection is pretty hit-or-miss, so I want to expand my horizons. I've been reading a lot of light stuff as my life has been a bit difficult lately and I need some escapism. I just finished the two "Warlock Holmes" books, which were pretty entertaining if you like that sort of thing. Sort of a satirical/humorous take on Sherlock Holmes with about 20% HP-Lovecraft-via-Terry-Pratchett thrown in.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Lulee

• Stubble
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #1155 on: April 20, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
"Does It Fart? The Definitive Field Guide to Animal Flatulence" by Nick Caruso and Dani Rabaiotti.  Seriously, it just arrived today.  Fun and informative and at my age, sadly, more relevant than ever. ;)

Christine Lahti has an autobiography coming out.  Have to go find some reviews to see if it's as cool as the idea of it sounds.

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1156 on: April 21, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
The Second World - a common theme, China is eating our lunch worldwide.

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1157 on: April 22, 2018, 06:46:30 AM »
P2F so I can get some reading ideas. I finally figured out how to get library books on an app on my phone, so I'm reading a ton lately. But the ebook selection is pretty hit-or-miss, so I want to expand my horizons. I've been reading a lot of light stuff as my life has been a bit difficult lately and I need some escapism. I just finished the two "Warlock Holmes" books, which were pretty entertaining if you like that sort of thing. Sort of a satirical/humorous take on Sherlock Holmes with about 20% HP-Lovecraft-via-Terry-Pratchett thrown in.

Have you tried Hoopla?  They have ebooks, audiobooks, and movies available.  You need a library card, but they're not actually associated with any specific library, so they have a slightly different content.  I've found a number of good audiobooks on there that weren't available through my library's Overdrive site.

fuzzy math

• Bristles
« Reply #1158 on: April 22, 2018, 07:23:13 AM »
The Ghost Map - a history of cholera in London written in the style of a detective story. Really interesting
I like free stuff, you like free stuff, we both get free stuff
Get a free stock just by signing up at Robin hood

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: April 22, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »
The River of Doubt by Candice Millard, about Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 trip to South America that almost killed him.
Follow my road to semi-FIRE here:  The Road To Mandalay

Post-corporate life blog: Mandalay At Play  Latest entry: Went to See the Wizard ... and Turned Right Back Around

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1160 on: April 22, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
Dread Nation - YA zombie novel in which the trajectory of the US Civil War changes substantially when the dead start to rise during the battle of Gettysburg. Set about 16 years later, our protagonist is a biracial girl who is at a school to train as a personal guard for rich white families.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

CM*TO Is a thing!! We have a few bunks left - join us in September.

StephyFox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1161 on: April 30, 2018, 04:56:28 AM »
Nothing special for now. I'm crushing the books in economics day and night preparing for my thesis. Personally, I find interesting to read The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America
I'm an economics student at the University of Central Florida and also a regular contributor at AnswerShark

rbuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1162 on: April 30, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy Deals, and Maverick Scientist Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work.

Tribe

Bone Labyrinth

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1163 on: April 30, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »
Reading 2 books right now:

$2 A Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America
https://www.amazon.com/2-00-Day-Living-Nothing-America/dp/054481195X

It's...really depressing. And eye-opening.  And sad and scary.  I grew up poor, but not that poor.  And I am somewhat familiar with this whole thought - a fair number of people in my small rural hometown are on welfare.  Where we live now, there are plenty of homeless children in our schools.  It's the nitty-gritty details that get you, especially in the "post-welfare reform" age.

I made sure to read this during a spring break trip to Florida last week.  We passed through some places where most people lived in similar circumstance described in this book.  The discrepancy in wealth even in this country is truly incomprehensible.  It really put into perspective how lucky my family and I truly have it.

The book "Evicted" is a more personal account of poverty where the author follows a landlord and tenants in Milwaukee.  Like me, I think most of us here take for granted how our circumstances enabled us to use our skills and work ethic to get us to where we are and are a bit to harsh on those that can't seem to make sound financial decisions.  As these books point out, most of those in poverty are dealing with other priorities that prevent them from optimizing their finances, even if they know that what they are doing is sub-optimal.
I'm a bit bummed that I didn't pick up "Evicted" the 3 times I saw it in the neighborhood little free library.  But I thought it would depress me too much.  The author was at our local university for a talk recently, I think.

Right now I'm reading Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker.  Maybe it will help me sleep?

I have to admit that the book took me through a roller coaster of emotions and made me uncomfortable a few times that I had to take a break because of how potent his writing is at times.  I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it's not a light or a feel good read.  But I when things make me uncomfortable I find it is an opportunity for me to reflect on why.  I think it does a excellent job of reminding people, especially those of us this forum, that not everyone is born on third base and those who were did not hit triples to get to where they are in life.

sui generis

• Stubble
« Reply #1164 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:07 PM »
Just finished the Brothers Karamazov after FOUR MONTHS. Geez, that book.  I thought Crime and Punishment was delightful in its perambulations and even long diatribes.  By the end, I actually really loved that book.  But the BK - just too too much.

Starting Buddhist Boot Camp, and I'm already irritated with its 2.25 pages long chapters.  Feels like a lot of filler with not enough depth.  Hopefully there are a couple chapters that just speak to me, but so far it just seems super superficial.  I've forgotten everything in the prior chapter before I even finish the subsequent one.  And with them all being so short, that's pretty bad!

TempusFugit

• Stubble
« Reply #1165 on: May 03, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »
The River of Doubt by Candice Millard, about Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 trip to South America that almost killed him.

I read this one a couple years ago and found it fascinating.  It's something most of us never knew about one of our most celebrated presidents.   

Have you read the Edmund Morris biographies (3) of Roosevelt?   Those are great. 

TR was a unique man with a vitality that we just don't encounter much.  He was a bit of a warmonger, to be sure, but he was always sincere in his proclamations, as evidenced by his actions. 

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1166 on: May 04, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
Just finished the Brothers Karamazov after FOUR MONTHS. Geez, that book.  I thought Crime and Punishment was delightful in its perambulations and even long diatribes.  By the end, I actually really loved that book.  But the BK - just too too much.

Starting Buddhist Boot Camp, and I'm already irritated with its 2.25 pages long chapters.  Feels like a lot of filler with not enough depth.  Hopefully there are a couple chapters that just speak to me, but so far it just seems super superficial.  I've forgotten everything in the prior chapter before I even finish the subsequent one.  And with them all being so short, that's pretty bad!

BK is great, if you read it with a condescending tone and a slight British accent.  It shifts the tone from "wow these people are really awful" to "Oh my, look at all these silly people, how quaint".

The other thing I find reading things from this time period:  The social customs are so ridiculous and archaic, I often find myself rooting for the villains (or other rabble rousers) because they are the only ones willing to actually transgress these ridiculous norms. 
Frugalite in training.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: May 04, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm reading Oliver Wiswell, published in 1940. It's one of Kenneth Roberts books about early America. This one shows the American Revolution from a Loyalist viewpoint. Very interesting.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1168 on: May 09, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
Just finished an older book by Gary Paulsen, Winterdance, about his experience training for and running his first Iditarod. At the time he had a lot of experience as an outdoorsman in winter conditions, some experience working with sled dogs (but not racing them), and very little experience with Alaska. (The book was written in the early 1990s but takes place in the early 1980s, when the Iditarod was only about ten years old and much more casually managed than it is today).

There are some very adventurous passages, but also some very funny ones, especially during the training sequences. My favorite was when he lost control of the dog team on the way out of Anchorage to start the race and ended up going through someone's backyard with a full dog team, dog sled and musher.

sui generis

• Stubble
« Reply #1169 on: May 09, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
I'm reading Oliver Wiswell, published in 1940. It's one of Kenneth Roberts books about early America. This one shows the American Revolution from a Loyalist viewpoint. Very interesting.

This sounds really interesting!  Will you update with a rec/no rec after finishing?  I'm tempted to add to my list, but my list is so long, I'm trying to be more strict.

Speaking of my list, I was just going through it the other day to add a new pile to my library holds and I'm discovering that so many of the books on my list aren't available through either of the two city libraries I currently have access to on either Kindle or audio!  I'm really shocked!  I guess they aren't going back to older books (unless they are real classics) to get those licenses and mostly only doing it for newer books.  Even The Left Hand of Darkness (LeGuin), which I think is pretty famous, is not available from either library except in hard copy.  I'm going to start having to read hard copies again?  This is unfortunate for my BF because I read before sleeping and with my kindle, I don't need to have a light on.  I have fond memories of book lights from when I was young, but I really don't want to have to buy one again.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1170 on: May 09, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
Do your libraries have access to any of the other e-book services such as Hoopla? I have found that older books are often found on the other services. I believe that the pricing works differently--that with OverDrive/Kindle libraries pay by the book (so they have to be choosy about what their patrons may like or read) but with Hoopla or Axis 360 everyone gets access to the same library but the library determines how many books per month you can check out (which is what their fee is based on.) One of the librarians on here may have a clearer explanation. LeGuin seems like a pretty major author to be skipped over, though!

sui generis

• Stubble
« Reply #1171 on: May 09, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
Huh, I actually didn't know that about the different business models between Overdrive and Hoopla/Axis.  I really didn't like Hoopla's UI/playback quality when I tried it.  It's been a few years, so hard to remember now, but I distinctly remember switching to Overdrive and never looking back.  So yes, I have definitely seen Axis and Hoopla versions available of various titles, although I always go for the Overdrive version, which does seem more widely available anyway when I search, IIRC.  I don't think I've ever had to face a situation where it was Hoopla/Axis or nothing.  But I'll have to look into those other platforms again and look more carefully for their availability.

chaskavitch

• Bristles
« Reply #1172 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:47 AM »
Huh, I actually didn't know that about the different business models between Overdrive and Hoopla/Axis.  I really didn't like Hoopla's UI/playback quality when I tried it.  It's been a few years, so hard to remember now, but I distinctly remember switching to Overdrive and never looking back.  So yes, I have definitely seen Axis and Hoopla versions available of various titles, although I always go for the Overdrive version, which does seem more widely available anyway when I search, IIRC.  I don't think I've ever had to face a situation where it was Hoopla/Axis or nothing.  But I'll have to look into those other platforms again and look more carefully for their availability.

For audiobooks, Hoopla's playback is significantly quieter than Overdrive.  I don't know why.

sui generis

• Stubble
« Reply #1173 on: May 09, 2018, 11:11:31 AM »
I think I'm remembering one thing I didn't like about Hoopla at the time.  It regularly got "stuck" while playing a book - which makes me think I was streaming them instead of downloading files?  In fact, I specifically remember it would happen most often when I was walking out the door to work, like because it was switching from streaming on my wifi to data.  Ah the good ol' days of unlimited data and streaming everything.  I switched podcast apps years ago and of course only download everything and only when on wifi, and this seems to be the default for Overdrive.  But I don't remember as clearly with Hoopla and have no idea about Axis.  But I assume, whatever the case was 3 years or so ago when I used it, it definitely actually downloads files now, right?  I definitely can't be streaming when I listen. 

Would it be too much of a hijack to ask other folks' opinions on Hoopla/Axis and optimization techniques for using the apps?

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1174 on: May 09, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
I can't speak to audiobooks, but I like the interfaces for print books just fine...and Hoopla is the only way to get graphic novels on my tablet from my libraries, which I really appreciate. I honestly prefer print books for graphic novels because the pages are bigger, but it's great for a series the library doesn't own or (more frequently) is missing volumes from in print. For a long time Hoopla didn't have an app for the various streaming boxes so I haven't used it for video, but I just found out they have an Apple TV app!

If you haven't used some of the non-Overdrive services for awhile, it might be worth checking them out again as the apps are always being updated.