Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 192491 times)

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1050 on: November 29, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.

I find some of the writing style to be... tacky, but I also really enjoyed this book.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

emduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1051 on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
I just finished Evicted by Matthew Desmond.  It follows several families and landlords in Milwaukee.  Really depressing read, but also really interesting. 

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #1052 on: November 29, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »

I find some of the writing style to be... tacky, but I also really enjoyed this book.

You might like a book I just read called Luna: New Moon  / Ian McDonald.

About a human civilization on the moon in the near future.  Sorta hard sci-fi.    He steal a few subplots from Heinlens Harsh Mistress.
Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Semi-ERd: September 2015 at 42.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #1053 on: November 29, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific by Robert Kaplan.

Good rundown on the countries bordering the SCS, quick history of each and their claims.  Very interesting.

Now reading Artemis by Andy Weir (of Martian fame).  Very different story.
Check out my blog.  Early retirement from a military perspective.

http://chartprepping.com

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #1054 on: November 30, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »

I likened it to the author mashing up southern US English and New Zealand English or something. It was difficult to get a feel for, but the story is good.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1055 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
I'm limping along with the Inspector Gamache series of Quebec-set mysteries by Louise Penney. I'm on the fifth one now--it's probably just me, but I'm not loving them as much as I'm supposed to. These are extremely well-written and set in an interesting place, with an admirable sleuth. They are award winners, and rightly so. Start with the first one, "Still Life". Just because my brain doesn't seem to be on Louise Penney's wavelength doesn't mean you might not enjoy her books more than I do. I think P.D. James and Adam Dalgleish just spoiled me for everybody else.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1056 on: December 05, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to work thru the following list. Any more book suggestions are welcome

• Nancy Kress: Beggars trilogy
  • Stephenson: Diamond Age
  • David Feintuch: Seafort Saga
  • Neal Stephenson: Seveneves
  • Orson Scott Card :Children of the Fleet
  • Ann Leckie : _Ancillary_ series
  • Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time

Read "Beggars in Spain", part 1 of the Beggars triology. Great book. Loved Nancy Kress.  Have put on hold parts 2 and 3 . Also checked out 2 other Nancy Kress books from the library.

Hated David Feintuch!  I managed to read all three books, hoping that it would get better, but no luck.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1057 on: December 05, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
Iím trying to go back and read some of the books from middle school and high school that weíre supposed to be great but I didnít particularly enjoy at the time. Iím curious if my view of them is changed by the last 15-20 years of personality changes and general maturing.

Right now Iím finishing up Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I read it in 8th grade and just flat out didnít get it. I wasnít interested in big philosophical questions, I didnít have much knowledge of the history or even the basics tenets of Buddhism, and I didnít like writing essays about books. English class was drudgery.  Now I get it. Itís a quick and highly enjoyable read. Not only do I see the parallels with the Buddhaís life, but I see the big concepts of Buddhist thought throughout the book in ways big and small.

I might try Catcher in the Rye next. That book annoyed me more than any other in school. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1058 on: December 05, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »
Iím trying to go back and read some of the books from middle school and high school that weíre supposed to be great but I didnít particularly enjoy at the time. Iím curious if my view of them is changed by the last 15-20 years of personality changes and general maturing.

Right now Iím finishing up Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I read it in 8th grade and just flat out didnít get it. I wasnít interested in big philosophical questions, I didnít have much knowledge of the history or even the basics tenets of Buddhism, and I didnít like writing essays about books. English class was drudgery.  Now I get it. Itís a quick and highly enjoyable read. Not only do I see the parallels with the Buddhaís life, but I see the big concepts of Buddhist thought throughout the book in ways big and small.

I might try Catcher in the Rye next. That book annoyed me more than any other in school. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Huckleberry Finn was a revelation when I reread it as an adult. There was a lot more going on there than I realized at age 13.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1059 on: December 05, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Finally getting around to reading The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life by JL Collins. I figure now that I'm in my 2nd-ish year of seriously saving for FI, I need to read through all the background material that many suggest.

So far this book has been great, although I'm only ~1/4th of the way through.

I just finished this. I love the final words in the main portion of the book: "As individuals we only have one obligation to society: To ensure we, and our children, are not a burden to others. The rest is our personal choice. Make your own and make the world a far more interesting place."
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #1060 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Just finished Sapphire Pavilion by David Grogan.  Written by a buddy of mine.  His first book was the Siegel Dispositions.  Both are about a retired Navy JAG who ends up in some interesting situations.

Fun reads.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: December 08, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
Free Sci-Fi Short story collection. An Anthology by some great authors about space exploration by Arizona State Univ.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16742530/visions-ventures-escape-velocities-anthology-ebook-arizona-state-university-science-fiction

THe first story is very good. Am in the process for reading.

@arebelspy , you can find the PDF and let everyone know ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1062 on: December 08, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
@arebelspy , you can find the PDF and let everyone know ;-)

lol. :D

Looks like the final paragraph of the linked article has it in PDF, ePub, Mobi, and iBook formats. :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1063 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
I'm reading about the Terra Cotta Army and China's first emperor.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1064 on: December 11, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
War and Peace.  A translation of course as I can't read Russian.  Started off terrible, 1 star out of 5, but now I'm about halfway through and I've improved my current rating to 4 out of 5 stars. 

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1065 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
I have been reading the "Colors" graphic novel trilogy by Dong Hwa Kim. I think it is the first Korean graphic novel I have read. It is set in late 19th-century rural Korea and tells the story of a mother and daughter as the daughter grows up. Very interesting!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1066 on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
Now reading Artemis by Andy Weir (of Martian fame).  Very different story.

Got that and read it. Really good and as you say, a different story. Will not be surprised if this is made into a movie also.
Thanks for the suggestion.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1067 on: December 28, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Just finished Living Well, Spending Less by Ruth Soukup. A nice book but nothing new. Glad it was from the library.

rab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1068 on: December 28, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »

@Warlord1986 I was fortunate enough to see the Terra Cotta Army in person this past September. It was definitely an experience that I will not forget. What book are you reading?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »
I am currently reading _The Cooking Gene_ and I have decided not to finish it tonight because I only had 52 new books completed in 2017, and I might as well start 2018 with a bit of a head start.

I can see why some people don't like this book, but I'm just fascinated by the author's intense need to discover his family's history. I don't really have that drive, but I also haven't had my family's history ripped away or family members literally dehumanized. So this is helpful for me to better understand the scars of history and how these traumas resound through the generations.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

CM*TO Is a thing!! We're accepting names for the waitlist!!

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1070 on: January 02, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »

@Warlord1986 I was fortunate enough to see the Terra Cotta Army in person this past September. It was definitely an experience that I will not forget. What book are you reading?

I'm jealous! The Terra Cotta Army is on my bucket list.

The book I read is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Terra-Cotta-Army-China%C2%92s-Emperor/dp/030681840X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514901750&sr=8-4&keywords=terra+cotta+army+book

Very readable and the photos were great!

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #1071 on: January 02, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
Salt, Sugar, Fat by Mike Moss.

Pretty interesting look at how companies target people to sell food. 

TempusFugit

• Stubble
« Reply #1072 on: January 02, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »
Just finished How to Be Idle: A Loafer's Manifesto by Tom Hodgkinson. 

Quite good.  It really spoke to my inner Loafer. 

Now I'm about halfway though A Confederacy of Dunces.   This is my second attempt to read this novel.  I find myself losing patience a bit with it. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #1073 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
Just finished Earning the Rockies: How Geography Shapes America's Role in the World by Robert Kaplan.

It was a good read and he has some interesting ideas on the role of geography throughout the history of the US and how that geography still plays a role today.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #1074 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:47 AM »
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer.

It's about 1200 pages long and I'm close to halfway through it (I'm at the lead-up to Germany's invasion of Poland).  Very interesting if a bit dry.  Shirer was an American reporter in Germany starting around the late 20's or early 30's and also traveled around Austria, Czechoslovakia, etc when Hitler annexed them.  He also was present for the Nuremburg trials and had interviewed many of the top brass of the third reich.  He starts with a background of Hitler and the Beer Hall Putsch and I'm assuming goes all the way through the Nuremburg trials.  The only real critique I have is that he doesn't provide any maps.

ETA: he also had access to a lot of the Nazi government documents that the allies found when defeating Germany so he references them a lot.  They had mountains of documents to sift through.  He wrote the book around 1960.  I hadn't previously been overly interested in Nazi history but picked the right book to learn about it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:21:10 AM by gobius »

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1075 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
I hadn't previously been overly interested in Nazi history but picked the right book to learn about it.

It is not really a nice topic. But we shoudl all know about it, and learn from it. We have the same things today. In German ythe rise of the AfD (and other european countries similar right-wing nationalists) and in the USA the Make Germany America Great Again crowd.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #1076 on: January 04, 2018, 06:19:44 AM »
Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power by Robert D. Kaplan

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1077 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
I have been reading "The Millionaire and the Scrublady" which is a reprint of a book of inspirational essays/parables that were written by a Congregational pastor around the beginning of the twentieth century. They aren't complex spiritual insights, but they are charming and occasionally thought-provoking (and still pretty relevant given the age) and it was a nice way to start the year.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1078 on: January 11, 2018, 01:18:51 AM »
Just finished "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, it was a good read.  I enjoyed it mostly for the historical context, the author did a great job of explaining the time and the emotions from both sides of the war.  I wish history book were more like these non-fiction stories, I would have actually paid attention and learn something in class.

I have moved on to "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" by Thomas Piketty.  It's a fascinating book on how the nature of capital evolved through history.  As the author is taking the reader through the history of capital in various countries during history, he does a great job of not just focusing on economic trends and theories of the time but the social aspect of how people lived and their use of various forms of capital.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1079 on: January 11, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
I'm reading about the Crusades. I'm at the part where the Christians have taken Jerusalem, murdered everyone, and now the Christian commander is wading through blood and corpses up to his knees.

Jesus would be so proud. /sarcasm.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1080 on: January 11, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »
I'm reading "Collapse Now and Avoid the Rush" by John Michael Greer.

While I'm dubious about some of his predictions (he's more optimistic for humanity's prospects than I am), I've enjoyed his theories. For example:

He puts forward an idea that those who were taken up with End Of Times Christian movements in the 70s, once the end of times didn't come, revolted against the church by embracing the Satanic Bible.  They would use Ayn Rand as a shibboleth in conversations to signal their allegiance to Satan, and then go on to move Evangelical circles into a very self-made-man self-righteousness. Really mind bending theory and fun / horrifying to read.

He also re-imagines Lord of the Rings, where Frodo decides to not go on the quest and instead continue with BAU that ends in him truly burying his head in the sand as middle earth is taken over by whatever dark forces exist in LOTR (I'm not a LOTR fanatic so IDK the characters). Then it ends with you being Frodo's nephew and you can go on the quest but it's gonna be many times harder than it would've been if Frodo (read Reagan's Morning in America) had just gone on the fricking quest in the first place.

I agree with him in much of the book - how we really took a wrong turn with Reagan and all but abandoned the quest for energy conservation and instead embraced cheap-energy addiction. As a result, we are pretty well fucked right now. 

It's also kinda cool that he's an arch-druid.  I mean, I don't really know much about arch-druidism beyond his brief description, but it's a colorful affiliation.

@mxt0133 : Capital in the 21t Century is one of my favorite books ever. It's well worth reading slowly and soaking up the details.  I love how he pulls in 19th century fiction to illustrate dynamics of capital over time, for example.

After Cap in 21st Century, you may enjoy Present at the Creation by Dean Acheson.  I found it to be similarly dense yet engaging.  Different topic, but IDK, for some reason I put them in a similar category. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:07:22 AM by Malaysia41 »
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (It's Tax Exempt!)

Privately funded political systems are just WRONG.

Knapptyme

• Stubble
« Reply #1081 on: January 11, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
War and Peace.  A translation of course as I can't read Russian.  Started off terrible, 1 star out of 5, but now I'm about halfway through and I've improved my current rating to 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm about halfway through this myself right now. It's a beast that had sat on my shelf for years. Agreed on the slow start.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1082 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
The first of the Hornblower series by C.S. Forester, "Mr Midshipman Hornblower".

I had read this series a long time ago (may 25 or 30 years ago?), so wanted to read again.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1083 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »

DavisGang90, What is your review of it? I have it on my list to read....

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: January 11, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter by Dan Aierly. 

Caught my eye at the library last night as I was curious how much it aligns with the thoughts we share around here about stupid money decisions.  Only 10 pages in but so far so good.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1085 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
Almost done with Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari - very interesting book!

Started on The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner as part of my ongoing project to read all/most of the classics.
Frugalite in training.

rab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1086 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »
Almost done with Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari - very interesting book!

I read that one and I'm reading his second book, Homo Deus, right now - also very interesting!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1087 on: January 12, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
@rab and @tyort1 - Harari is an excellent writer and great anthropologist/sociologist.  I throughly enjoyed both books, very thought provoking ideas in both books.

@Malaysia41 - Present at the Creation by Dean Acheson is going on my reading list, thanks.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #1088 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »

It's a good read.  As with most of his stuff, he covers some history and deep dives into each country around the Indian Ocean.  I'm learning a lot as usual with his stuff.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »

It's a good read.  As with most of his stuff, he covers some history and deep dives into each country around the Indian Ocean.  I'm learning a lot as usual with his stuff.

Thanks. I should get it a week or so. I'll let you know about its accuracy about India ;-)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #1090 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »

Overall, he is much more hopeful on India than the other countries in the region.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks. I should get it a week or so. I'll let you know about its accuracy about India ;-)