Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 159712 times)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #1000 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  Haven't read from the beginning for several years.  It's like chatting with an old friend.
Check out my blog.  Early retirement from a military perspective.

http://chartprepping.com

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 19, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  Haven't read from the beginning for several years.  It's like chatting with an old friend.

A long chat LOL. It definitely is the right name. You feel like under a wheel from the time you need to read it.

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #1002 on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »

A long chat LOL. It definitely is the right name. You feel like under a wheel from the time you need to read it.

This is pretty much perpetually on my list of books to read, but at 14 books in the series (over 11,000 pages total!) I can't bring myself to do it. I'll keep it on the list for once I'm FIRE'd
My Log

dcamnc

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: July 24, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
Rule #1 Investing by Phil Town

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1004 on: July 25, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
'Twelve Kings in Sharakhai' by Bradley Beaulieu. Put this one on your reading list folks!

fatcow240

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »
I just started "The Blue Zones Solutions."  The book is looking at the diet and lifestyle of the areas with the highest percentage of those 100+ year old.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: July 25, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
I've recently finished "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari, and now reading "Homo Deus", the sequel.  Where Sapiens is "a Brief History of Humankind", Homo Deus is focused on the future of the human race, and how he thinks we'll change (or evolve?) in the future.

On the Audiobook side, book 3 of "The Cycle of Galand", which follows "The Cycle of Arawn".  Fantasy, sorcery, sword fighting, quick wits, clever solutions to problems, and fun banter between the main characters.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #1007 on: July 25, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »
Just finished the rather mentally exhausting Ages of Discord (loved it) and am now poking along with In The Hand of Dante by Nick Tosches. Not for everyone, it's exceedingly profane and pretentious at the same time, shamelessly self-indulgent, but somehow I love it. Very poetic.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #1008 on: July 26, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Picked up "Julian Comstock." Interesting Western set in 22nd century US after a worldwide collapse post-peak-oil. Basically a no-nonsense narrative written by a middle-class kid about Julian Comstock as he rises in power (I guess).

Not quite summer reading. Definitely a bit boring for people, just because of the narrator's personality. It feels like an adventure, which is the best positive of the book, but the subject matter might make it feel more like "War and Peace" after awhile, and less "True Grit."

ditkanate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #1009 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »
Just finished Stories of your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. One of the short stories was the basis for the recent movie Arrival.  Some really original story ideas in that book. 

Currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: August 09, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
Picked up "Julian Comstock." Interesting Western set in 22nd century US after a worldwide collapse post-peak-oil. Basically a no-nonsense narrative written by a middle-class kid about Julian Comstock as he rises in power (I guess).

Not quite summer reading. Definitely a bit boring for people, just because of the narrator's personality. It feels like an adventure, which is the best positive of the book, but the subject matter might make it feel more like "War and Peace" after awhile, and less "True Grit."

Finished up Julian Comstock! Fun book. It's divided into 3 different parts that are each 3 different genres: I'd call the first part "True Grit," the second part "Band of Brothers," and the third part "Game of Thrones."

It's a fictional historical narrative written by Adam Hazzard, a Western farm-boy, who makes friends with Julian Comstock, the nephew of the current sitting President. It's a post-apocyalptic US, where the US has recovered to an early 20th century level of tech.

I'd give it a shot if you can tolerate a bit of brown prose and like speculative fiction.

Neal300

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1011 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:06 AM »
Searching some things for my news channel.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »

I love this series. One of my brothers gave me the first book for my 14th birthday and I was hooked after that. Glad I took a break after the 11th book, however, and didn't read them all and finish up the series until it was actually all written. Until that point I'd been re-reading the whole series every time a new book came out.

Current read is Dracula, by Bram Stoker. A+, it is legitimately creepy. Kinda glad I didn't save it for October, when I'd originally intended to read it.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 15, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Vanity Fair by Thackeray.  Snarky humor in an 18th century novel.  I can see why Kubrick liked him so much (he adopted another Thackeray novel for his movie Barry Lyndon).
Frugalite in training.