Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534820 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #850 on: February 28, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
A delicious selection of items from our Trader Joes trip this evening. nom.nom.nom.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #851 on: March 01, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »
Chicken Florentine breakfast waffle

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #852 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »
Apple pie, from apples that a friend of ours let us pick from their yard.  Also chocolate cake with mint icing.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #853 on: March 01, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
Testing a tour recipe...

Rice, split yellow peas, dried mixed veggies, tomato powder, and a mexican spice blend all done up together in a mini rice pot.  Turned out pretty great!

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #854 on: March 01, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
Vegemite toast (homemade bread) with freshly squeezed orange juice

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #855 on: March 03, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »
Pão de Queijo from the hotel breakfast bar, and some seriously strong coffee with hot milk. Aggh I love this breakfast.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #856 on: March 03, 2015, 06:25:02 AM »
Pão de Queijo from the hotel breakfast bar, and some seriously strong coffee with hot milk. Aggh I love this breakfast.

Oh god I love those. I had those, and great coffee, in São Paulo on my one trip to Brazil. Enjoy!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #857 on: March 04, 2015, 05:14:48 AM »

Oh god I love those. I had those, and great coffee, in São Paulo on my one trip to Brazil. Enjoy!

Oh. My. God. I am going to start looking for those things!

I just finished several slices of perfectly ripe, bright orange papaya. Mmm.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #858 on: March 15, 2015, 10:50:08 AM »
Was going to make eggs, then realized I'd thawed out a portion of salmon the other night and ended up not eating it.  So.  Salmon poached with lime juice, a navel orange, and sweet potato slices crisped in coconut oil and dipped in homemade habanero ketchup.  Coffee with cream.  Perfect late Sunday breakfast.

Have oxtail soup simmering away in the slow cooker for dinner tonight, and we'll have a big ass salad with that.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: March 15, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
I will soon be eating a corned beef sandwich with spicy mustard.

God I love the sales in March. Time to stock the freezer!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
So I had 1 piece of left over garlic naan bread from Indian cooking on the weekend

I had a bit of cheddar cheese left over from tacos

I had a bit of butter left over too...

do you know what that means?

GARLIC NAAN GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH BABY! mmmmmm

P.S. woo me, totally erasing all exercise today with this bit of delicious

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #861 on: March 17, 2015, 01:24:53 AM »
So I had 1 piece of left over garlic naan bread from Indian cooking on the weekend

I had a bit of cheddar cheese left over from tacos

I had a bit of butter left over too...

do you know what that means?

GARLIC NAAN GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH BABY! mmmmmm

P.S. woo me, totally erasing all exercise today with this bit of delicious

I am so making this ASAP!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: March 26, 2015, 11:38:04 PM »
never seen this thread this quiet for so long!  I'll re-kick it off with dinner tonight: a slow braised oxtail beef dip on homemade garlic butter toasted buns topped with some home canned garden jalapenos and melted Havarti with a rosemary malbec jus...with a side of curly fries :)

what tasty eats are ya'll eating these days?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: March 27, 2015, 12:15:01 AM »
Tonight I'm going out to dinner (!!) at an Italian restaurant - so probably some kind of delicious pasta! I'll have to post here afterwards with the details :-)

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #864 on: March 27, 2015, 04:25:13 AM »
Caramel Tim Tams.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #865 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »
Breakfast was eggs in a basket with homemade bread, waffles, and bacon.  The waffles were made with almond milk so I could eat them, I can never eat waffles or pancakes away from home.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #866 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »
About to tuck into mauna loa pork with rice and green beans. We make the mauna loa sauce with BBQ sauce, soy sauce, and sriracha.

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #867 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
Leftover homemade Thai red curry with chicken, tofu, mushrooms, jalapeno over brown rice with gai lan. Mmm coconut milk.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #868 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »
Leftover homemade chicken fajitas - quick, easy, healthy,  yummy, and cheap!

Minimali

• Stubble
« Reply #869 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
Some leftover chickpea and sweet potato curry, bulgur wheat (I've run out of rice) and some steamed broccoli.

This thread has given me great dinner ideas.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: March 31, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
For lunch I had one of my favorites- jasmine rice topped with a tomato based salsa.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #871 on: March 31, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »
For lunch right now, a leftover portion of cottage pie from last night's dinner, with steamed chard. Cottage pie is like Shepherd's pie, except with ground beef instead of ground lamb. I also ate the last of the coleslaw I had made from putting dressing on some Costco Cabbage and Kale shredded salad. Snack this morning was crackers and home made hummus.

Breakfast earlier today was an almond milk, banana, beet greens and frozen raspberry smoothie made in my Vitamix.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #872 on: March 31, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
Oven fries, grilled eggplant, and gorgonzola cheeseburgers. First grilled meal of the season!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #873 on: April 01, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
About to tuck into some homemade thai food!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #874 on: April 02, 2015, 11:08:53 AM »
Almonds

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #875 on: April 02, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »
I had some leftover rice that was almost toss-worthy. I decided to look up a recipe for rice fritters, as I didn't want to make fried rice.

I pulled out a pesto I had made a while back and put in the freezer. I had made a pesto with some herbs that were getting old and then freezing it. I think it had parsley, chives, cilantro, almonds.

I mixed the rice with some pesto and added and egg.

OMG - I had never made rice fritters and this was amazing! I pretty much used up things that were going to be thrown away anyways (leftover rice and herbs).

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #876 on: April 04, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
Hot cross buns and chia tea with honey and milk.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #877 on: April 04, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
Tonight I'm going out to dinner (!!) at an Italian restaurant - so probably some kind of delicious pasta! I'll have to post here afterwards with the details :-)

Ended up having eggplant parmagiana (spelling?) and it was incredible. Need to learn how to cook that at home.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: April 05, 2015, 01:41:35 AM »

Ended up having eggplant parmagiana (spelling?) and it was incredible. Need to learn how to cook that at home.

This one sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion; I actually really like eggplant but haven't had this dish before.
http://startcooking.com/how-to-make-eggplant-parmesan

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #879 on: April 06, 2015, 10:44:07 PM »
A truly decadent sandwich. I don't think I could get something this nice, even if I went out to lunch. And if i did, it would be crazy-expensive.

Thick sliced bread with avocado, home-made basil pesto, mayo, tomato, Nuage Blanc cheese and some shredded slow-cooker Mexican beef I made the other night.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #880 on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:56 AM »

This one sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion; I actually really like eggplant but haven't had this dish before.
http://startcooking.com/how-to-make-eggplant-parmesan

That recipe isn't the same as what I was served - this is closer: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27448/eggplant+parmigiana - very tomatoey, no breadcrumbs, definitely not fried :-)

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #881 on: April 16, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
A desk pantry lunch today, as I've already eaten home made tomato soup for lunch every day this week and don't feel in the mood for it today, so I'll save the last serving I have in the work fridge for tomorrow. Today's lunch is Jacob's cream crackers with butter and strawberry jam, quite a throw back to my childhood.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #882 on: April 19, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »
Cinnamon apples with rhubarb! Like chunky applesauce kinda. Was a recipe of my mom's.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #883 on: April 20, 2015, 07:45:07 AM »
Grilled salmon steaks (half the price of fillets), shredded kale and carrot salad with spicy pickled eggplant on top, spiralized roasted sweet potatoes and garlic-butter mushrooms.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 05, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »
Woke up stupidly early...lots of strong coffee, bacon fat fried hashbrowns, breaded and fried heirloom tomatoes, scrambled duck eggs with farmers sausage, red pepper, green onion, cheddar and havarti cheeses and first of the season asparagus.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2015, 07:59:03 AM »
Woke up stupidly early...lots of strong coffee, bacon fat fried hashbrowns, breaded and fried heirloom tomatoes, scrambled duck eggs with farmers sausage, red pepper, green onion, cheddar and havarti cheeses and first of the season asparagus.

Gimme that!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 05, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
lentils and barley with home-canned tomatoes and pizza seasoning topped with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar.  Yum.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #887 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
Fabulous homemade Mexican dip, sadly with store boughten tortillas.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #888 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
I wish I was eating cashew nuts at the moment, but I ate them all last night.

Cinnamon apples with rhubarb! Like chunky applesauce kinda. Was a recipe of my mom's.

I had a craving for rhubarb the other day, mmm, my Grandmother's rhubarb crumble with custard.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #889 on: May 17, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
Bulletproof coffee.  I don't put a 1/2 stick of butter or whatever in it, more like a tablespoon.  But it's oddly delicious, and now I skip buying cream each week, and I'm drinking fewer cups of coffee since I have to employ the blender to emulsify the butter for each cup.  Even better, I just got a stainless Hario coffee dripper since my plastic Melitta cone died after 15 years of faithful service.  I don't know how it's possible, but the new dripper makes superior coffee; I'm hooked.

Later, leftover pastelon I made last night with a combo of plantain and eggplant.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #890 on: May 17, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
Bulletproof coffee.  I don't put a 1/2 stick of butter or whatever in it, more like a tablespoon.  But it's oddly delicious, and now I skip buying cream each week, and I'm drinking fewer cups of coffee since I have to employ the blender to emulsify the butter for each cup.  Even better, I just got a stainless Hario coffee dripper since my plastic Melitta cone died after 15 years of faithful service.  I don't know how it's possible, but the new dripper makes superior coffee; I'm hooked.

Later, leftover pastelon I made last night with a combo of plantain and eggplant.

The hario filter- is that for pour overs? You use it without an additional filter, correct?

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #891 on: May 17, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
Homemade veggie sushi rolls: quick, healthy & delicious! We used short grain brown  instead of the usual sushi rice which gave it a kind of nutty flavor.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #892 on: May 17, 2015, 04:17:20 PM »
My first-ever go at fried rice. oMG, where has this been all my life?

My hangup was I hate restaurant  fried rice, which is greasy and foul. This is good. I was inspired by the need to  use up a zucchini and a tomato, plus too many eggs.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: May 17, 2015, 11:56:34 PM »
I made cinnamon raisin bread today -- it tastes more like a cinnamon bun in loaf form. It turned out quite pretty when cut. I think this might be a nice bread to give as a gift.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #894 on: May 18, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »
I was on my way to the corner store for milk, and the fish truck in the parking lot was selling live snow crabs. I'd never had one before, so I bought one. Lots of fiddling to get the meat out, but man, it was good. One of the perks of living in Newfoundland, I guess.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #895 on: May 18, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »

The hario filter- is that for pour overs? You use it without an additional filter, correct?

Unfortunately it requires special filters that are about 10c each.  I compost the grounds and filter, and didn't want to wash a lot of grounds down the drain into our septic, so I didn't go with one of the filterless drippers.  The one I have is the Hario V60.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #896 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »

Unfortunately it requires special filters that are about 10c each.  I compost the grounds and filter, and didn't want to wash a lot of grounds down the drain into our septic, so I didn't go with one of the filterless drippers.  The one I have is the Hario V60.

10c each? That seems like a lot. Are they the cone shaped ones? If so, you can fold regular drip basket filters into the cone shape (I get 300 for $1, and those are the unbleached ones... bleached ones are like 300 for $0.75) and they hold up well. I just saved you nearly 10c a day ;) If you want a cleaner taste, set up the filter and pre-rinse it with water to remove spare paper fibers.

To be fair, the extra paper does remove some of the volatile oils and SOME PEOPLE claim they can taste the difference. I brew strong coffee, so I haven't noticed a difference. YMMV, but the cone filters seem crazy spendy to me.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #897 on: May 19, 2015, 12:53:30 AM »
Soft taco of just shredded romaine, diced onion, and seasoned burger with diet mountain dew and a piece of hersey bar for desert. Sometimes you just have to say screw it and eat what you actually want to.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: May 19, 2015, 03:11:30 AM »
I just had a mid morning snack of toasted crumpets and a cup of tea.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: May 19, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
Chestnuts, usually completely unavailable here, but Sav-a-Lot had bags on sale. Nom, nom.

Editing to add the irony of chestnuts being unavailable here. Cruel, that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:11:37 PM by Rural »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!