Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534718 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #750 on: December 28, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
This thread's almost been forgotten in the sands of time! Last night we had some brilliant Pad Thai and tonight etouffee is on the menu. Time off means good food!

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #751 on: December 28, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
Munching on some avocado curry and naan right now.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #752 on: December 28, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Whole chicken (crockpot), buttery brown rice, salad with homemade dressing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:51:10 PM by tmac »

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #753 on: December 28, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Frugalicious Turkey Chili S'ghetti & a salad. Stretching the dollar to stay on course. ;)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: December 28, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
I forgot all about this thread! Glad its been resurrected!

We are having a turkey curry, jasmine rice and naan. Smells good in here!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #755 on: December 29, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »
Fresh homemade cinnamon rolls!  Christmas tradition to have them on Christmas morning, then I froze another plate of them which I baked up yesterday.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: December 29, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
Fresh homemade cinnamon rolls!  Christmas tradition to have them on Christmas morning, then I froze another plate of them which I baked up yesterday.
Sounds amazing!

I'm just eating cashews.  I came to the thread hoping someone would be eating something truly amazing...and I found it.  My grandmother used to make cinnamon rolls for us on Christmas.  They were amazing!!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
Warm oatmeal with: raisins, apples, hemp seeds, pecans, ground flax, plain greek yogurt and a few drops of vanilla stevia.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #758 on: December 29, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »

I'm eating homemade cinnamon rolls too, with a coffee, for breakfast :-) made them yesterday for a friend who loves them and was visiting with us.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #759 on: December 29, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
Delicata squash stuffed with forbidden rice, italian sausage, and feta. :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #760 on: December 30, 2014, 03:21:43 AM »
A little bowl of blackberries at the moment; I'm not much good at sleeping tonight apparently. I'll have to fix real breakfast in a little while.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: December 30, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
Delicata squash stuffed with forbidden rice, italian sausage, and feta. :)

Just calling it "forbidden" rice makes it sound exciting. I've heard of this before, but I need to look into it because I've never had it.

Squash is one of the finer pleasures in life. Almost anything you make with it is delicious!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: December 30, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
We did homemade burgers on the grill tonight with our freezer beef. I made the hamburger buns this afternoon. It was a nice dinner and a change from turkey, turkey, turkey!~

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: December 30, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
Just polished off a small bowl of frozen raspberries. Super excited about homemade chilli for lunch. And for NYE tonight I'm making roast! Life is good.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #764 on: January 02, 2015, 12:55:22 AM »
Today's kitchen experiment: udon (buckwheat) noodles with a runny sunny side up egg. Surprisingly delicious!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #765 on: January 02, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »
Someone somewhere posted this recipe for a cold remedy:

http://simplegreensmoothies.com/natural-healing/lemon-ginger-and-honey-all-natural-coldflu-remedy

It's amazingly delicious, and I've been drinking it for the past several days.  I add a tea bag in the morning, it's lovely either with or without the teabag added.

I don't have a cold or anything, it's just tasty.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #766 on: January 02, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
PEOPLE!  All this time my food has been made out of people!

AvisJinx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #767 on: January 02, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »
^Soylent Green anyone?

I just polished off a mini Reese's Peanut Butter cup. Wish I had remembered to bring in the roasted red pepper hummus I made yesterday with some veggies and chips. 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #768 on: January 02, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »
A salad with Romaine, chick peas, celery, cheddar cheese, and homemade dressing. The kids are having yogurt with bananas and cocoa powder. Weirdos.

MrsPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #769 on: January 02, 2015, 11:09:06 AM »
Haven't eaten yet but for my work food I packed fresh veggies (carrots, cucumber, tomato, bell peppers), an orange and banana, and trail mix (almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries and dried golden berries). Can't wait to start munching! :-)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #770 on: January 11, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
Kale-Bacon Hash with an Egg over easy. Cholulua. Sourdough toast with a Swiss herb cheese spread. Coffee. Mmmm

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #771 on: January 11, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
Three egg omelette stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, baby greens and green chile.  Half of a perfectly ripened avocado on the side, sprinkled with homemade chile powder.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #772 on: January 11, 2015, 02:03:19 PM »
Having a short break from our usual Bircher-style muesli. Breakfast was Aldi-brand Allbran, lite milk, 1/3 banana plus some sweet dakkah that a friend made us for Christmas.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #773 on: January 11, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
Made chicken planks the other day, they were very good! 

Sliced the chicken thin.  Mixed flour, salt, and spices in a gallon ziploc, and coated the chicken pieces by shaking.  Dipped each piece in scrambled egg in a bowl.  2 at a time shook pieces in another ziploc containing crushed saltines.  Then pan fried several minutes on each side at medium heat.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »
Right this second- (the very unmustachian) shakeology + coffee.  At least the coffee part was free...

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »
Breakfast was a slice of toast with avocado, lime juice and salt.

Lunch is a slow-cooker curry of meatballs in a coconut-tomato tikka masala sauce (made last week)

Dinner will be honey-soy chicken quarters (awesome sale this week on the chicken) with jasmine rice and steamed green beans.

Snacks today: almond-joy energy balls (made with cocoa, almonds, dates and coconut), raw green beans and strawberries (also a nice sale this week).

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
Last night roasted enough vegetables to provide dinners for three nights at least.  This batch included potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, onions, brussels sprouts, beetroot and carrots. 

Breakfast was sauerkraut on toast.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: January 12, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
sliced cucumbers and hummus, my favorite breakfast lately

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #778 on: January 12, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Last night we had a shopska salad, lemon butter haricots verts, mashed sweet potatoes, and some absolutely beautiful salmon. Tonight it's bar food - spinach and artichoke dip served inside GF beer bread, buffalo wings, and potato skins.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #779 on: January 12, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Homemade pizza tonight. 

Up til now I've been buying pre-made crust, but the local place that makes the most wonderful crust ever burned down a few months ago :-(

So now I'm incentivized to make my own crust!  :-)  Should have done this a long time ago, I make all my bread so it's not like making dough is a skill I lack or anything.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: January 12, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »
@Zaga, adding basil and minced garlic to the crust puts it over the top! Also, I par-bake my homemade crusts at 350 till just cooked, add the toppings, then crank the oven to 475 for the rest of the cooking :-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #781 on: January 12, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »
@Zaga, adding basil and minced garlic to the crust puts it over the top! Also, I par-bake my homemade crusts at 350 till just cooked, add the toppings, then crank the oven to 475 for the rest of the cooking :-)
Thanks!  I'll try it with the spices next time, sounds great!

I do the par-baking thing already.  In fact, I par-baked earlier today, then froze the crusts.  This way I can bake right on the oven rack and the bottom of the crusts will be a bit crispy just the way we like them.

The only thing I need to do next time is to use a rolling pin instead of just my hands to roll them out, they were a bit on the lumpy side.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #782 on: January 12, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Last week I used a Jamba Juice gift card for a chocolate peanut butter smoothie.  Today I recreated it, but it was better than the one I had at Jamba Juice (more chocolate flavor and more peanut butter).

1 ripe banana
5 tsp of cocoa powder
1/2 c milk
4 tsp of peanut butter
2 handfuls of ice

Blend well!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #783 on: January 12, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
Delicious whole wheat bread with avocado, a slice of sharp cheddar, and two scrambled eggs. Yum!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #784 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
Baked oatmeal with blueberries that I picked last summer.  Yum.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #785 on: January 13, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Breakfast Bagel - cheese bagel, farm fresh duck egg, farm fresh pastured bacon with a bit of ketchup, Hp sauce, a sprinkle of truffle salt and lots of freshly cracked black pepper. Life is good.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #786 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
Four of us just devoured a 12-inch pan of fried rice for dinner and now we're having smoothies for dessert. Good eats.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #787 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
Kale-sweet potato hash with an egg mixed in. Italian sausage. Organic strawberries.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: January 14, 2015, 01:42:29 AM »
Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #789 on: January 14, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
Breakfast today was greek yogourt with some strawberries and a little bit of ezekiel dry cereal.

Lunch is leftovers - honey-soy chicken quarter with jasmine rice and steamed green beans.

Dinner is a crockpot coffee-rubbed pork roast (awesome sale this week) with a wild rice, quinoa and edamame salad.  The leftover pork will be used in tacos tomorrow.

Snacks today - 16g of almonds, an apple, and raw green beans (beans were on sale).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: January 14, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
Made a huge pot of oatmeal this morning that will last us a couple of days.

Had that topped with greek yogurt for breakfast. Will keep me full for hours!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #791 on: January 14, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »
Thai red curry chicken, roasted cinnamon - cumin sweet potatoes, sautéed spinach - bacon with apple cider vinegar. (Paleo)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: January 14, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
Thai red curry chicken, roasted cinnamon - cumin sweet potatoes, sautéed spinach - bacon with apple cider vinegar. (Paleo)
Sounds good!  I made a red curry this weekend, but it's all vegetables.  I don't know if mine is paleo though.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #793 on: January 15, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »
Reading this and drooling. I had the yummy leftovers of a caprese quiche and some old roasted root vegetables for lunch (these were probably left frozen for too long but that's a lesson learned), but now I'm starving...

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: January 16, 2015, 08:13:11 AM »
Last night I took leftover coffee-rubbed slow-cooker pork loin and put it in homemade corn tortillas, topped with some avocado, cheddar, salsa, sour cream, raw sweet onion and cilantro.

I have leftovers for lunch today.  :D

I also made a soup yesterday - 1/2 sweet onion sauteed in some butter, a small butternut squash, medium celeriac and a small apple with a sprinkle of herbes de provence and some chicken stock, simmered and then pureed.  It is AMAZING.  The kids will have that for dinner tonight with foccacia (homemade - Five Minute Foccacia) and leftover quinoa and wild rice salad from a couple of days ago.

I also made the Best Cocoa Brownies from Epicurious, which the kids can have as a nice treat after dinner tonight.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: January 18, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
Last night I took leftover coffee-rubbed slow-cooker pork loin and put it in homemade corn tortillas, topped with some avocado, cheddar, salsa, sour cream, raw sweet onion and cilantro.

I also made a soup yesterday - 1/2 sweet onion sauteed in some butter, a small butternut squash, medium celeriac and a small apple with a sprinkle of herbes de provence and some chicken stock, simmered and then pureed.  It is AMAZING.  The kids will have that for dinner tonight with foccacia (homemade - Five Minute Foccacia) and leftover quinoa and wild rice salad from a couple of days ago.

I also made the Best Cocoa Brownies from Epicurious, which the kids can have as a nice treat after dinner tonight.

Mmm...coffee rub. The best steak I ever had was a coffee-rubbed filet mignon at a restaurant. I tried to reproduce it at home with just coffee grounds but the grounds burned and also I read later I should have added other spices.

What's your coffee rub?

I did make a Guinness braised pork shoulder the other day for a beer themed party and it was delicious! I've also have some coffee stout purchased for the party left in my fridge so I'm sure that will make it's way into future dishes.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #796 on: January 18, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
Fried fish sandwiches on Syrian bread, Swiss chard cooked up with onions, sauteed zucchini, and homemade granola bars for dessert.  Mmmm!  The only thing I didn't make from scratch was the Syrian bread.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #797 on: January 19, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »

Mmm...coffee rub. The best steak I ever had was a coffee-rubbed filet mignon at a restaurant. I tried to reproduce it at home with just coffee grounds but the grounds burned and also I read later I should have added other spices.

What's your coffee rub?

I did make a Guinness braised pork shoulder the other day for a beer themed party and it was delicious! I've also have some coffee stout purchased for the party left in my fridge so I'm sure that will make it's way into future dishes.

I used this recipe!  http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/10/coffee-rubbed-pork-roast/  I found it a bit coffee-forward and could probably halve the amount of coffee next time, but flavours were great and everyone loved it.

Last night I roasted a turkey and we had a basic turkey dinner - smashed potatoes, frozen peas, roasted mushrooms and gravy.  Some of the leftover turkey will be transformed into paninis tonight.

And for lunch I have a celeriac-butternut-apple soup with avocado toast.

Started the day with a banana crumble muffin (recipe from Minimalist Baker).  The recipe was great because I was out of eggs and it used flax eggs.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #798 on: January 19, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
I just had half a loaf of fresh out of the oven bread spread with red pepper hummus.  I put spaghetti squash in the oven as soon as I pulled out the bread.  Having that with homemade jarred marinara for dinner.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #799 on: January 19, 2015, 07:31:57 PM »
Made sandwiches from leftover Christmas ham, eggs, cheese and sesame bread. The ham was free (a gift I hadn't gotten around to opening until a few days ago) and the bread was on sale - buy one take one!