Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534685 times)

Little House

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Little House in the Valley
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #550 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »
Right now? quinoa with soy milk and raspberries - very healthy, but perhaps not very mustachian since it's not cheap! :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #551 on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »
Right now? quinoa with soy milk and raspberries - very healthy, but perhaps not very mustachian since it's not cheap! :)

Significantly cheaper when you take into account nutrition value for $ spent. Especially compared to, say, sweet sugary GMO sugar bomb cereal that will cause you to snack in 1/2 an hour.

I ate some scrambled eggs and hash browns made from some roasted baby potatoes. and coffee.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #552 on: June 06, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
Whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter and an orange. Simple, healthy breakfast. Will have tea next.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #553 on: June 06, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
I may have accidentally eaten the remaining 1/2 of the French bread loaf I made last night with spinach-garlic yogurt dip. Definitely didn't mean to eat a whole loaf of French bread myself in one day. Oops.

But now I have all this dip left! I could make another loaf of French bread... or crackers...!

Also: coffee with mint simple syrup. Not lavender infused this time, though :-(

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: June 06, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
I may have accidentally eaten the remaining 1/2 of the French bread loaf

This made me smile :-)))

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #555 on: June 07, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
I may have accidentally eaten the remaining 1/2 of the French bread loaf

This made me smile :-)))

I can't control myself! I'm making stuff that's just too good.

Right now? homemade yogurt with strawberry jam and a lemon pound cake drizzled in mint simple syrup. It's all so heavenly.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #556 on: June 07, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
Apple and raspberry crumble, for breakfast :D

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: June 07, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »
Southern-style fried squirrel with mushroom gravy.  Squirrel mushroom gravy is the new crack - hard not to eat it with a spoon.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #558 on: June 07, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »
BBQ pork loin (marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper), sour dough bread toasted on the grill, cauliflower with cheese sauce, salad and strawberries for dessert.  A great meal!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #559 on: June 08, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
pancakes with lemon syrup! I was going to have whipped cream too, but my heavy cream went bad two weeks before the expiration date :-/

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #560 on: June 08, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
This morning, I had homemade whole wheat toast with bulk purchased butter amd bulk purchased coffee with discount purchased milk and bulk purchased stevia.  For lunch, I had homemade soup with a homemade whole wheat sandwich with bulk purchased ingredients.  I love warehouse stores and making my own food.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #561 on: June 08, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »
For breakfast I had two fried eggs with donkassu sauce, two lemon lavender muffins, and a mini bowl of homemade yogurt with strawberry jam. My coffee has milk and mint simple syrup.

I feel like a broken record, as I've eaten this a lot lately. I'm out of yogurt, though! I have to save the rest for my next batch's starter.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #562 on: June 08, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
Slow cooker carnitas with roasted garlic and chipotle, corn on the cob, and sauteed zucchini and red bell pepper.

Discovered an awesome new way to do corn on the cob.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: June 10, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »
Nutty bar. I have no will power.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #564 on: June 11, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »
This week is officially pizza week. Because I said so.

Last night I had a radish pesto pizza topped with roasted onion, radish, and garlic.

I just finished a bell pepper and green chili pizza with bell peppery tomato sauce.

I love pizza.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #565 on: June 11, 2014, 05:09:12 AM »
Last night's dinner:  homemade scallop corn chowder with homemade oyster crackers and a side of roasted broccoli.

Items used from the CSA box:  new potatoes, broccoli and fennel fronds in the crackers.

Zucchini bread is on the list for today; some of the shredded zuke will go into the freezer for future baking projects.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »
Cake. Because I somehow didn't eat breakfast this morning (knew I forgot something) and someone brought cake in to work. So yay, cake for breakfast.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: June 11, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
homemade yogurt with chocolate chips!

has anybody tried making kefir? I got some grains from a friend and think I did it right (?) buuuut it turned out pretty gross.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
Corn on the cob and chicken (that I sadly overcooked in the crockpot today .. dry and stringy .. bummer)

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
Sounds to me like you did the kefir right.  IMO Kefir is kind of gross.  I love yogurt though.
I just finished off a quart of homemade gazpacho.  All ingredients from our garden.  Had to fudge a bit on the cilantro...it's gone to seed but still it was amazing.  Sigh.  I love June.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
Sounds to me like you did the kefir right.  IMO Kefir is kind of gross.  I love yogurt though.
I just finished off a quart of homemade gazpacho.  All ingredients from our garden.  Had to fudge a bit on the cilantro...it's gone to seed but still it was amazing.  Sigh.  I love June.

That's pretty much what I figured, appreciate the confirmation. Oh well, time to pass them on to the next unsuspecting friend ;-)

<3 gazpacho, thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to make some

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #571 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Bummer that kefir's gross. It sounded interesting to me when a coworker brought it up recently! But he doesn't have any grains yet. I think he might be getting them soon, which means some will come my way eventually. Gulp...

I made M&M mint cookies! I used the rest of my last week's CSA's spearmint and some of this week's choco mint. I didn't even know choco mint was a real thing. It's magical!

So yum.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
Potato bhaji. It was fine.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #573 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »
Southern-style fried squirrel with mushroom gravy.  Squirrel mushroom gravy is the new crack - hard not to eat it with a spoon.

really?

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58:27 AM »
Home from work sick so made baked beans: Onion, bacon, garlic, harissa, baked beans, cannellini beans, tomato soup concentrate, treacle and a dash of barbeque sauce. With poached eggs on top.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #575 on: June 12, 2014, 06:52:51 AM »

really?

Likely true. Squirrel is nasty greasy,* so the gravy would be a good way to use up grease. The mushroom part makes it extra nasty, though. :-)

* I do know folks who like squirrel, but I'm not among them. I'll eat it, have done in fact, but only if I'm hungry in the older sense of the word.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #576 on: June 13, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
Thick Italian hot chocolate. Just milk, cocoa, cornstarch & sugar.

My household was traumatising itself watching Jane Eyre and needed a restorative.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Toasted cheese sandwich on homemade bread with goat brie and goat cheddar.  Drinking homemade lemon iced tea.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #578 on: June 16, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
Went bike camping with a local restaurateur over the weekend, who made the best open coal steak sandwich I've ever had.

Breakfast was a little more low-key: burritos of scrambled eggs, baked beans, and steak sauce :-P

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Went bike camping with a local restaurateur over the weekend, who made the best open coal steak sandwich I've ever had.

That sounds amazing! Actually home to cook for the first night in a week and needing "real" food so making a lentil soup and no-knead bread. Right now snacking on some hard boiled eggs dipped in some Duqqa my sister made for me :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
A fabulous chunk of cantaloupe!

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #581 on: June 16, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Late breakfast? Early morning tea? of leftover sauteed kale (well, more sauteed onion and bacon with a bit of kale for colour) from last night's dinner with leftover cheesy twist pullapart bread from our front lawn picnic.

This after yoghurt, which I made last night, from other yoghurt (this makes me feel very powerful - I have created civilisations).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #582 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
That second picture looks AMAZING, garth.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #583 on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
Yummm Steak :)

I made a huge batch of Chicken Chilli last night, turned out pretty amazing and now I have lunch for the rest of the week, lol.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: June 17, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
Grilled tri-tip for the first time. I've started using Steven Raichlen's method for steak, and I don't know that I'll ever go back. As you can see, it leaked quite a bit even after a 15 minute rest, but it stayed pretty juicy (except on the skinny end there, ha). Could have used another minute and a half on the thick side, but we don't mind a bit of blue. Accompanied by a nice salad (greens, strawberries, and pickled watermelon rind) and fried potatoes.

HY open coal steak bros. so good

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #585 on: June 17, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
Dinner tonight consisted of shrimp, roasted zucchini, broccoli and shallots, all over cous cous.  I flavored the shrimp with za'atar before sauteing them in olive oil.  Shrimp shells are in the freezer for stock.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Caesar salad with chopped herbed chicken & bacon, a side of sautéed yellow squash from my friend's garden, served with watermelon fresca I made in my blender.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #587 on: June 18, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »
I just made chewy granola bars for the first time, with homemade chocolate chips!  Can I just say, yum!

They have roughly:
quick oats
puffed rice
ground flax seed
toasted chopped almonds
coconut oil
brown sugar
honey
vanilla
homemade chocolate chips (cocoa, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla)

Used a combo of these 2 recipes, mostly the second one, but with additions from the first including the use of a candy thermometer:
http://www.theyummylife.com/Homemade_KIND_Bars
http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2013/06/no-bake-chewy-granola-bars_23.html

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: June 18, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
how do you make the chocolate chips? those sound tasty

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #589 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/making-homemade-chocolate-chips-in-detail

I used the above recipe, with sugar as I don't use sugar substitutes.  It's more like chocolate chunks than chocolate chips, and they need to stay refrigerated.  Also, the recipe doesn't have enough stirring time in it, I used a mixer with a whisk attachment and mixed and mixed and mixed.  Still didn't get the sugar all dissolved, but the results is still very tasty!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #590 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
Fauxtmeal (put nuts, seeds, two eggs, applesauce and vanilla/spices in a blender; microwave until it firms up, then stir and add some milk of your choice).  We're having a couple unusually cool and rainy days, so a good chance for my favorite hot breakfast before summer hits full-on.

That tri-tip looks amazing.  I'm going to have to hunt down some steaks this weekend and slap-em right on the coals. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #591 on: June 18, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
Bowl of oatmeal with plain Greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, chia and hemp seeds, vanilla stevia and a big mug of oolong tea.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #592 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
This is a banner day, now I'm having homemade guacamole.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #593 on: June 18, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/making-homemade-chocolate-chips-in-detail

I used the above recipe, with sugar as I don't use sugar substitutes.  It's more like chocolate chunks than chocolate chips, and they need to stay refrigerated.  Also, the recipe doesn't have enough stirring time in it, I used a mixer with a whisk attachment and mixed and mixed and mixed.  Still didn't get the sugar all dissolved, but the results is still very tasty!

Whoa... I didn't even think about making these. This opens up a lot of possibilities for cheaper baked goods. Chocolate chips are just so expensive in Korea...

I'm eating oi naengguk. It's a Korean cold cucumber soup! I really, really recommend trying it for hot summer days. It just feels so *right*, and it's super tasty. I'm eating mine with rice, and I don't have any chili peppers so I just tossed in some red chili flakes. Still yum!

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/oi-naengguk

BarkingSquirrel

« Reply #594 on: June 19, 2014, 06:27:59 AM »
Homemade yoghurt with homemade pear chutney (spicy, not sweet) and puffed rice. 

I'm eating oi naengguk. It's a Korean cold cucumber soup! I really, really recommend trying it for hot summer days. It just feels so *right*, and it's super tasty. I'm eating mine with rice, and I don't have any chili peppers so I just tossed in some red chili flakes. Still yum!

Sounds so good -- rice dropped in the soup or on the side?

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #595 on: June 19, 2014, 06:55:51 AM »
Homemade yoghurt with homemade pear chutney (spicy, not sweet) and puffed rice. 

Sounds so good -- rice dropped in the soup or on the side?

Rice on the side. You could drop it in the soup, but it probably wouldn't be as good as rice in *hot* soup. Yum!

Also: I love homemade yogurt now! I also love using whey I strain from it in baking.

For dinner I made a pesto out of baby perilla leaves (like sesame leaves? Or maybe exactly that but a different name. Similar to shiso leaves, too) and used it as a base in a pesto potato pizza. Sliced up a potato, blanched the slices a little so they'd be cooked all the way, and baked it all on an herbed crust with garlic. Pizza is my favorite right now.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #596 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

Gotta make up for the fact that I had nothing unfried for dinner yesterday besides beer.

I don't know if I've had broccolini before - I really enjoy it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:55:35 PM by grantmeaname »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #597 on: June 25, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
I'm eating steamed asparagus. With my fingers. For supper. Because I can. :-)

gemnilin12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #598 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »
I'm eating steak with mushroom sauce and fresh orange juice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #599 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »
Sitting in a hotel room eating steamed cauliflower grown in my garden.