Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534652 times)

jan62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #1400 on: May 16, 2016, 01:35:20 AM »
peanut butter

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1401 on: May 16, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
A raw beet, peeled.  Anything this gross has to be good for me.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1402 on: May 16, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
Olives, sharp cheddar, homemade bread.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1403 on: May 16, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
dry frosted flakes

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: May 16, 2016, 09:14:11 PM »
the Angriest Whopper

I stopped by Arby's yesterday just for the Jamocha Shake. I guess painting my house myself makes me feel entitled to buy more fast food than usual. I am; however, saving $1400 by doing it myself.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1405 on: May 19, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »
DH made a roast, he put it in the crockpot with sprite, some pepper flakes, and a layer of ketchup on top.  It's really tasty, and fall apart with a gently fork tender.

I made the rice and broccoli to go with :-)

Dmoneyzzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life's either a daring adventure or nothing at all
« Reply #1406 on: May 20, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
I am eating breakfast!

I have pancakes, bacon, eggs, biscuits, oatmeal, and fruit.  8)

Cheers!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1407 on: May 21, 2016, 08:58:31 PM »
I have some leftover vegetarian chili and some homemade flavoured rice made with home made chicken stock, coconut milk, pineapple and coriander (cilantro). Surprisingly good, and uses up a few ingredients.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1408 on: May 21, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Apple crumble. Very tasty.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1409 on: May 24, 2016, 01:06:27 PM »
Pork made in my instant pot with chipotles en adobo and garlic, over rice, topped with tomatillo salsa.

I used a modified version of this recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/
Instead of the sazon, I used homemade taco seasoning, and instead of (additional) adobo seasoning, I used turmeric. I would still use the chipotles en adobo though, really a characteristic flavor.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1410 on: May 26, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Made a green curry chicken in the Instant Pot with bell pepper, zucchini and onion.  Veggies came out overcooked because I didn't want to hassle with extra cooking time for the chicken and just did the whole thing under pressure for 10 minutes.  But it still tasted good.

Served over pan-fried spaghetti squash "noodles" flavored with some coconut aminos, sesame oil, sriracha and scallions.

Some homemade kimchi on the side.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1411 on: May 29, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
Pizza.
Finally nailed the elusive deep dish crust with  cornmeal bottom perfectly - filled with sauce, cheese, roasted bell peppers, paper thin pepperoni slices, onions, cheese, olives, jalapenos, anchovies - did I mention cheese?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1412 on: May 29, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »
Just killed off the last of my rhubarb-strawberry crumble. Cut the sugar waaaay down because I love the natural sourness of rhubarb.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1413 on: May 29, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »
Homemade pressure cooker yoghurt with a drizzle of maple syrup. I have never successfully made yoghurt before (too sour, too lumpy, whatever) but this is perfect. And I remembered to save a starter for next time.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1414 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
Savory oatmeal with an egg and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar.  I think savory is a keeper!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1415 on: May 30, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »
Munching on radishes from our garden. In about an hour going to have a big chicken blue cheese salad with some bacon and hard boiled egg. Yummmm.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1416 on: May 30, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
Savory oatmeal with an egg and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar.  I think savory is a keeper!

That's one of my favorites, particularly with a sprinkle of chives or green onion- gives it a little bit of texture difference, and some "bright" bites! A tiny bit of soy sauce can be pretty stellar as well.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1417 on: May 30, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
Homemade vegetable soup, which is a fine way to use up the dregs of the juice left from cooking dried beans - a great soup base. Ate it with half a cathead biscuit.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1418 on: May 30, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
A raw beet, peeled.  Anything this gross has to be good for me.

Raw beet again.  I've been having one of these a day for quite a while now.  Still not warming up to the taste.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1419 on: May 30, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »
OK, why on earth are you eating raw beets?  They're not bad cut very thinly in a slaw or something, but just a whole, peeled beet?

We did BBQ ribs last night, so I'm now eating leftover diced up ribs scrambled with egg and green chile, leftover collards and leftover cornbread crisped up in the skillet with the pork fat.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1420 on: May 30, 2016, 12:56:29 PM »
OK, why on earth are you eating raw beets?  They're not bad cut very thinly in a slaw or something, but just a whole, peeled beet?

It's easier than juicing them, and they're supposed to be good for you.  They certainly do some cool stuff to your endurance on a bike.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1421 on: May 30, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »

Rock and roll-- blueberry/blue raz/grape

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: May 31, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
Rhubarb Mushroom Soup. Sounds really weird, I know, but it's actually sooooo good. I didn't use as much rhubarb as called for (ran out), but next time I will be sure I have enough. Great way to use up rhubarb if you don't want to consume it with 6 cups of sugar (e.g. every sweet rhubarb recipe ever).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1423 on: May 31, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »
Prefab frozen chicken nuggets and prefab frozen potato cakes. In my defence, I have duly unfrozen them both. Eating them with mustard (nuggets) and ketchup (potatoes).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1424 on: May 31, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »
My neighbor had ribs leftover from her BBQ yesterday and didn't want them. So I cut the meat off and mixed it up with rice and BBQ sauce. Yum! And I'll follow it with a mid-afternoon, basking in the sunshine while gardening Corona, that was also left over.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1425 on: June 02, 2016, 07:18:52 PM »

It's easier than juicing them, and they're supposed to be good for you.  They certainly do some cool stuff to your endurance on a bike.

I have made beetroot smoothies before, it's pretty easy, only a bit more work than just eating them like an apple. Perhaps something you can consider if you have a blender.

Rhubarb Mushroom Soup. Sounds really weird, I know, but it's actually sooooo good. I didn't use as much rhubarb as called for (ran out), but next time I will be sure I have enough. Great way to use up rhubarb if you don't want to consume it with 6 cups of sugar (e.g. every sweet rhubarb recipe ever).

Thanks for posting this, how interesting! I don't think I've ever had rhubarb in a savoury dish before. Hope to try it sometime.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1426 on: June 02, 2016, 09:42:37 PM »
Thanks for posting this, how interesting! I don't think I've ever had rhubarb in a savoury dish before. Hope to try it sometime.

+1

Do you think this would work as a cold soup?  I have a big rhubarb plant and never use it because we don't really do desserts.  I keep meaning to experiment with making a syrup with it to see if it would replace tamarind paste, but never get around to it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: June 03, 2016, 07:15:19 AM »

+1

Do you think this would work as a cold soup?  I have a big rhubarb plant and never use it because we don't really do desserts.  I keep meaning to experiment with making a syrup with it to see if it would replace tamarind paste, but never get around to it.
It's texturally similar to cream of mushroom soup (real; not the canned kind), which I think is better hot. But when I was looking for ideas, I did see some recipes for cold rhubarb soups. I didn't look too closely because I was looking for a hot soup for work lunches.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: June 06, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »

+1

It's texturally similar to cream of mushroom soup (real; not the canned kind), which I think is better hot. But when I was looking for ideas, I did see some recipes for cold rhubarb soups. I didn't look too closely because I was looking for a hot soup for work lunches.
So I made this again, and for some reason  it came out tasting kinda of pickly. I think it was because I used more rhubarb and it was much, much fresher. And I think the dill was starting to get a bit bitter as well. It's not awful, but it's not amazing either. So modulate the rhubarb if you're not sure how the first batch will go. Also, salt made it even more picklier, so go easy there as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1429 on: June 06, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »
Thanks for the update on the rhubarb soup!

Eating right now:  homegrown strawberries.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1430 on: June 06, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »
For today's lunch, I just microwaved a leftover burger patty, a couple small pieces of hot sausage (grilled as well), and a pile of stir-fried veggies that I had frozen (en masse, 12 servings total) just for days like this.
Tasty work lunches for a buck or so, my favorite.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1431 on: June 06, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
Lunch was grits with sausage crumbled in, leftover from breakfast for supper last night. Supper is chicken fiesta soup, though I'm a little under the weather and not really feeling the chicken, so what I've selectively scooped out for myself is mostly beans and salsa. Also eating it with tortilla chips instead of the usual cornbread (see under the weather) - the leftover biscuits just don't seem to go with this.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: June 07, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »
Was going to have homemade pizza, but funky shoulder flared up too much to knead. (Can I use the bread machine to knead?)

Cleaned out the fridge instead: leftover chicken (made a 65 cents/lb whole chicken in the Instant Pot yesterday--froze half) over leftover rice with half a can of Hatch green chiles, some random cheese that was in the fridge, improvised taco-esque seasoning, and a couple shreds of almost-wilted lettuce to make it "healthy."

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1433 on: June 10, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
Discount fresh pineapple, two ways! With pork and garlic and soy, and with Thai red curry paste and coconut milk. Both awesome!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1434 on: June 10, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
The supermarket was low on eggs last week, so I ended up having to buy a 30 pack.

Egg and lettuce sandwiches for lunch!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1435 on: June 10, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »
Oh it's a good day!  Potato salad of homegrown Yukon gold baby spuds with homemade mayo, homegrown scallions, parsley, dill and tarragon, artichoke hearts, celery, capers, tuna and green olives (fancy ingredients from CostCo).  Have a cherry clafoutis from my tree's first cherry crop in the oven right now for dessert or tomorrow's breakfast.

Beverage is a glass (or two) of Toasted Head Pinot Noir.

I'm reading The Everlasting Meal and am all inspired.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1436 on: June 10, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Harvested and dried some stevia leaves today as I was taking cuttings to root, then made an extract and used it in a blackberry cobbler (some of last year's berries from the freezer). Was out of white flour, so used whole wheat, resulting in a ridiculously healthy delicious hippie indulgence. Brown four, purple berries, slight green tinge from the extract :-), and totally yum.

Supper was leftovers - tamale pie (him) and spaghetti (me). Have discovered you can cook spaghetti, pasta, sauce, and all, in the instant pot in less than ten minutes for a one-dish meal.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1437 on: June 11, 2016, 08:41:46 AM »
Oh it's a good day!  Potato salad of homegrown Yukon gold baby spuds...

That does sound like a good day. I love how the fresh-produce season provides more opportunities to stop and say, "Man, life is good!"

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1438 on: June 11, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Homemade yogurt sweetened with stevia I grew, with blueberries I picked (and store brand grape-nuts for crunch - not sure if that reduces or increases my hippie vibe).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1439 on: June 11, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »
Oh it's a good day!  Potato salad of homegrown Yukon gold baby spuds...

That does sound like a good day. I love how the fresh-produce season provides more opportunities to stop and say, "Man, life is good!"

Yes, suddenly the garden is an embarrassment of riches!  Right now I'm eating homegrown eggs sunnyside up over a hash of beets, mushrooms and homegrown leeks and Swiss chard.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: June 19, 2016, 11:52:24 PM »
Prefab frozen chicken nuggets and prefab frozen potato cakes. In my defence, I have duly unfrozen them both. Eating them with mustard (nuggets) and ketchup (potatoes).

My uni housemates called this style of cuisine 'heatable eatables', but I'm stealing 'prefab'. Not that I really have cause to use it. I don't often talk about chicken nuggets...

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #1441 on: June 20, 2016, 03:19:49 AM »
Chicken sausages, polenta, corn, and waldorf salad.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »
Homemade Cuban sandwich and leftover pasta salad. (I always feel slightly better about a sandwich for dinner if it has a name...)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1443 on: June 20, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
greek yogurt and a local organic peach

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: June 21, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »
Right now I'm slurping coffee and trying to calm myself down from the latest workplace shit-show. But yesterday I sliced up a potato and fried the slices in spicy olive oil. Nom nom nom. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1445 on: June 21, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »
Fig/matcha/ginger/whey protein smoothie.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1446 on: June 21, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »
Leftovers from dinner last night: brown rice, sauteed onions, red pepper, kale (from the community garden), and shredded chicken thighs (leftover from two nights earlier), plus a little bbq sauce. Yum!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: June 21, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
Budget Bytes' Instant Pot Congee  Although not a soup, it's my go-to weekly work lunch soup when I can't actually think of/muster energy to make an actual soup.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: June 22, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
Lemon and coriander houmous with crackers.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1449 on: June 22, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
Coffee, black. (does that count as eating?)