Author Topic: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?  (Read 180611 times)

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?
« Reply #2000 on: February 13, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »

While i may concede that small scale assaults will continue to be a component of the military actions needed in the future, I'm not certain that we should base our entire military strategy on only combating the threats of the past decade and significantly reduce our ability to deter and combat conventional threats. It would seem to be forgetting the history of the past 200 years and only focusing on the present.

This is a good point - it's probably not a good idea to totally give up our ability to repell (or invade) a hostile nation. 
Counterpoint - we're spending more than the next 8 countries combined (which are: China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UK, India, France, Japan and Germany) - many of whom are close allies. My take is that we're up against a law of diminishing returns.  To gain/maintain superiority costs an order of magnitude more than simply matching their threat capabilities.

At what point does this become a negative though? Would increasing the number of special forces units decrease the individual demands on each one, making them less of a liability?
Not sure, though I hope reducing individual demands could lessen the negatives. Constant redeployment is a pretty well studied factor regarding broader integration into civilian society.
To be fair, a large portion of the  budget goes towards securing our allies and protecting free trade. This helps stabilize the wirld and is one of the primary reasons for increased world peace over the past 70 years. Why this all falls on America's shoulders instead of their allies could be debated.

Yeah, I get that a lot of our military's duties are spent protecting our allies and protecting free trade, and that its important for stabilizing the world.
Where I question our sanity is when people say we need 11 (or more) carrier strike groups, and how we need to spend a lot more money on the nuclear arsenal we've already sworn not to use.

Our approach since the cold war has been overwhelming force at an overwhelming cost. We could get similar results with considerably less, IMO.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2001 on: February 13, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »

While i may concede that small scale assaults will continue to be a component of the military actions needed in the future, I'm not certain that we should base our entire military strategy on only combating the threats of the past decade and significantly reduce our ability to deter and combat conventional threats. It would seem to be forgetting the history of the past 200 years and only focusing on the present.

This is a good point - it's probably not a good idea to totally give up our ability to repell (or invade) a hostile nation. 
Counterpoint - we're spending more than the next 8 countries combined (which are: China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UK, India, France, Japan and Germany) - many of whom are close allies. My take is that we're up against a law of diminishing returns.  To gain/maintain superiority costs an order of magnitude more than simply matching their threat capabilities.

At what point does this become a negative though? Would increasing the number of special forces units decrease the individual demands on each one, making them less of a liability?
Not sure, though I hope reducing individual demands could lessen the negatives. Constant redeployment is a pretty well studied factor regarding broader integration into civilian society.
To be fair, a large portion of the  budget goes towards securing our allies and protecting free trade. This helps stabilize the wirld and is one of the primary reasons for increased world peace over the past 70 years. Why this all falls on America's shoulders instead of their allies could be debated.

Yeah, I get that a lot of our military's duties are spent protecting our allies and protecting free trade, and that its important for stabilizing the world.
Where I question our sanity is when people say we need 11 (or more) carrier strike groups, and how we need to spend a lot more money on the nuclear arsenal we've already sworn not to use.

Our approach since the cold war has been overwhelming force at an overwhelming cost. We could get similar results with considerably less, IMO.

I'm not a military strategist, but the carrier strike groups do allow us to project power around the world.  That sort of power is unique to the US.  Do we have too much and/or are these the most militarily effective?   I don't know.

One thing Trump has done right* is call out certain members of NATO for relying on the US to defend them.  If other countries were to meet their obligation, maybe the US budget could be cut more easily. 

http://www.defenseone.com/politics/2015/06/nato-members-defense-spending-two-charts/116008/

* I didn't agree with the tone, but did agree with the sentiment.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2002 on: February 13, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
This discussion about NATO and military spending feels a bit like those discussions about the spouse that doesn't "help enough" with the cleaning and housekeeping. Who has decided which standard we are aiming for, and why isn't my (much lower) standard good enough? Why do these decision makers think we need 2% for tearing things down (military), and only 1% for building them back up (charity)?
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: February 13, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
This discussion about NATO and military spending feels a bit like those discussions about the spouse that doesn't "help enough" with the cleaning and housekeeping. Who has decided which standard we are aiming for, and why isn't my (much lower) standard good enough? Why do these decision makers think we need 2% for tearing things down (military), and only 1% for building them back up (charity)?

It's more like the friend who always let's you pick up the check.  At some point, you quit going out to dinner with them.  If the US decides not to prop up NATO's European defenses, certain countries will be hurt more than the US.  Especially Eastern Europe.

Europe needs defense, especially with Russia making noise.  NATO set the goal at 2%.  I presume that was a joint decision.  I thought this was a pretty good article on the situation -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/doug-bandow/us-to-spend-more-on-europ_b_9219754.html

Note, the article predates Trump and is written is in the Huffington post.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:34:02 PM by Midwest »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2004 on: February 13, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »

They did agree to the treaty ...
The first step is acknowledging you have a problem, right?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/digging-out-of-a-hole/

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #2005 on: February 13, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »
Since we're on the topic of military spending, I'd like to go back to the idea of auditing the DOD. There is a shit ton of waste. Some of it you can't help. It's the military-not a business. But there is a lot that could be improved upon. There are the F-35 programs that cost millions, but there are also the nickel and dime wastefulness all around.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Bristles
« Reply #2006 on: February 13, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »

You need three CSGs for every one you want deployed and fully operational at any given time, so part of the rationale for having 11 is to guarantee the availability of 3-4 minimum that would be capable of engaging in two simultaneous major operations.

The whole point of spending money on maintaining a nuclear arsenal is so you don't have to use it.

The final point is this is not a place where a large margin of error is acceptable. It's important to note liberal Western values and institutions are exceptions in the history of humanity and hang in the balance. There is no credible backstop in the world for the US military should it fail.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2007 on: February 13, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »

They did agree to the treaty ...
Maybe the USA should file for divorce and just pick up a few cool roommates for awhile.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2008 on: February 14, 2017, 06:58:13 AM »
Well now we have ignore the needs of our citizens because they live in california. http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/02/13/california-asked-trump-federal-disaster-aid-response-shocking/

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2009 on: February 14, 2017, 07:10:57 AM »
Well now we have ignore the needs of our citizens because they live in california. http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/02/13/california-asked-trump-federal-disaster-aid-response-shocking/

How could you make America great again without ignoring Americans?

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2010 on: February 14, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »

Trump will declare this a Major Disaster and federal funds will be available to the state. You can quote me on this and hold me accountable to my words. However, by the time this is declared and funds are approved, the next several outrages will have passed and this premature outrage will be forgotten. Are you two going to rescind your statements once you're proven wrong??

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2011 on: February 14, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »
Trump will declare this a Major Disaster and federal funds will be available to the state. You can quote me on this and hold me accountable to my words. However, by the time this is declared and funds are approved, the next several outrages will have passed and this premature outrage will be forgotten. Are you two going to rescind your statements once you're proven wrong??

I'll stop criticizing him when he meets the low bar for incompetence as a president by properly addressing disasters and not discussing national security issues openly at his hotel.  OKay, no I won't, but I might ease off a bit. 

Are you ever going to admit that he is a righteous tool that shouldn't be within 1000 ft of the White house?

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2012 on: February 14, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »

Will it make any difference to you that the only reason he would relent and approve the funds would be if his advisors finally convinced him that it was a majorly bad political move not to? Based on past behavior, I cannot for an instant imagine he would do it on his own. His main reasons for doing anything seems to be vindictiveness or reward for someone kissing his ass. He is literally stalling on this because he's mad at Jerry Brown.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

radram

• Bristles
« Reply #2013 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:18 AM »

A demand that a correction is made after a possibly proven wrong statement? You have GOT to be joking. Best joke of the day. Thanks for the levity.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2014 on: February 14, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »

Did he ever get around to sending help for Mississippi's tornadoes last month?
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2015 on: February 14, 2017, 07:58:26 AM »

Will it make any difference to you that the only reason he would relent and approve the funds would be if his advisors finally convinced him that it was a majorly bad political move not to? Based on past behavior, I cannot for an instant imagine he would do it on his own. His main reasons for doing anything seems to be vindictiveness or reward for someone kissing his ass. He is literally stalling on this because he's mad at Jerry Brown.

Check out the FEMA Disaster page There's anywhere between 0-6 weeks delay on disaster declaration. The Occupy Democrats article is insinuating that Trump will withhold funding because there was no response after 2 days...

There are plenty of examples there of him and President Obama "stalling" as you say. It doesn't appear there's any pattern of stalling because of a state being red/blue. There are probably many factors that go into this process.

Do you have any examples of him withholding requested funds? This would be a very serious issue that affects many people.

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2016 on: February 14, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »

Did he ever get around to sending help for Mississippi's tornadoes last month?

Yes

So far about $2.5 million has been approved.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2017 on: February 14, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »

Check out the FEMA Disaster page There's anywhere between 0-6 weeks delay on disaster declaration. The Occupy Democrats article is insinuating that Trump will withhold funding because there was no response after 2 days...

There are plenty of examples there of him and President Obama "stalling" as you say. It doesn't appear there's any pattern of stalling because of a state being red/blue. There are probably many factors that go into this process.

Do you have any examples of him withholding requested funds? This would be a very serious issue that affects many people.

Why are you talking about Trump as though he is a regular president?

You do know that he literally promised to "defund California" if they didn't do what he wanted them to?  And that he has also implied he'll give more attention to states that voted for him in the election? Do you have any examples of other presidents doing such things?
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #2018 on: February 14, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »

Supposedly the GOP rep is in contact with the White House, I'm sure they will be pressured eventually to cave.  I thought he took about two to three days to respond to the Louisiana tornadoes and Alabama & Georgia tornadoes, but with the turmoil over Flynn who knows if it will be longer than that.  The Alabama and Georgia governors had to beg for help on the media.  It might take three days to get through to him that the residents of those counties in CA vote Republican. 

I was really worried about Trump and Bannon trying to seize more power at some point but with all the national security missteps (leaving a key in a classified bag, holding a national security meeting over N Korea in an unsecured location, etc.) and now the Flynn stuff, I am starting to feel like they couldn't pull off a power grab even if one presented itself.  I have a hard time believing that the ham handed statements by Miller "The President's power will not be questioned" sat well with the GOP.  They need to get a spine and this crap with Flynn might be what is needed.  Watergate took two years, two years mired in Russia scandal would put us at the 2018 mid-terms. 

BeginnerStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2019 on: February 14, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »

Actually Obama ensured that FEMA was absolutely competent. Every single one of the over 900 disasters during Obama's tenure was considered handled competently and timely. He held annual meetings with them. Confidence in FEMA rose from 35 percent after the Bush-Katrina disaster to 75 percent after Super storm Sandy in 2012.  At times, even before request were made, there were boots on the ground. There were over 400 people mobilized and on-site before Sandy even hit.

Obama made FEMA great again.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2020 on: February 14, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »

I was really worried about Trump and Bannon trying to seize more power at some point but with all the national security missteps (leaving a key in a classified bag, holding a national security meeting over N Korea in an unsecured location, etc.) and now the Flynn stuff, I am starting to feel like they couldn't pull off a power grab even if one presented itself.  I have a hard time believing that the ham handed statements by Miller "The President's power will not be questioned" sat well with the GOP.  They need to get a spine and this crap with Flynn might be what is needed.  Watergate took two years, two years mired in Russia scandal would put us at the 2018 mid-terms.

Ham handed?  Miller went full-on Dictator (watch some clips here).  Kinda invalidates all of your other conjectures.
Transitioning to FIRE'd albeit somewhat cautiously...

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2021 on: February 14, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »

You do know that he literally promised to "defund California" if they didn't do what he wanted them to?  And that he has also implied he'll give more attention to states that voted for him in the election? Do you have any examples of other presidents doing such things?

I'm not asserting that Trump is a regular president. He spent his campaign making hyperbolic statements and lying. Why should I believe a tweet about defunding California?

I am asserting that FEMA will assist the people affected by flooding in CA based off of past actions in Trump's short presidency. You can still be a bad president and do this. How about let's wait and see what he does, then judge his actions?

Actually Obama ensured that FEMA was absolutely competent. Every single one of the over 900 disasters during Obama's tenure was considered handled competently and timely. He held annual meetings with them. Confidence in FEMA rose from 35 percent after the Bush-Katrina disaster to 75 percent after Super storm Sandy in 2012.  At times, even before request were made, there were boots on the ground. There were over 400 people mobilized and on-site before Sandy even hit.

I would be part of that statistic that went from disapprove to approve. Obama ensuring a competent FEMA is good for everybody.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2022 on: February 14, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »

I'm not asserting that Trump is a regular president. He spent his campaign making hyperbolic statements and lying. Why should I believe a tweet about defunding California?

I am asserting that FEMA will assist the people affected by flooding in CA based off of past actions in Trump's short presidency. You can still be a bad president and do this. How about let's wait and see what he does, then judge his actions?

Could you cite the past actions that tell you this?

And again, I stated above that I think eventually he will do this, but only after his advisors manage to convince him to not be a vindictive piece of sh*t.

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2023 on: February 14, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
First off, let's use FEMA's Disaster Declaration Process as a reference. It appears that a Major Disaster Declaration is appropriate for any event that "has caused damage of such severity that it is beyond the combined capabilities of state and local governments to respond."

Now, according to California Governor Brown's request, the "storm system is of such severity and magnitude that continued effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments and supplemental federal assistance is necessary." Which appears to meet the requirements for a Major Disaster Declaration.

In theory, President Trump should approve Governor Brown's request. So far in his presidency, Trump has approved 97 Major Disaster Declarations according to FEMA's disaster site, including strong winter storms and flooding in Oregon last month. Based off of his previous declarations for appropriate disasters, I believe he will approve Governor Brown's request.

Is your evidence that he won't approve it based off of Trump's twitter account?

Edit: corrected number, forgot you said he would eventually approve
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:45:39 AM by cliffhanger »

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #2024 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
And again, I stated above that I think eventually he will do this, but only after his advisors manage to convince him to not be a vindictive piece of sh*t.

I don't really see that point of arguing about what Trump's motivations for potential actions might or might not be. Neither of you have relevant information so you're both just projecting your own feelings about the president.
"There cannot be two skies"

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2025 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:09 AM »
First off, let's use FEMA's Disaster Declaration Process as a reference. It appears that a Major Disaster Declaration is appropriate for any event that "has caused damage of such severity that it is beyond the combined capabilities of state and local governments to respond."

Now, according to California Governor Brown's request, the "storm system is of such severity and magnitude that continued effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments and supplemental federal assistance is necessary." Which appears to meet the requirements for a Major Disaster Declaration.

In theory, President Trump should approve Governor Brown's request. So far in his presidency, Trump has approved 9 Major Disaster Declarations according to FEMA's disaster site, including strong winter storms and flooding in Oregon last month. Based off of his previous declarations for appropriate disasters, I believe he will approve Governor Brown's request.

So, Oregon is the only state in the list that didn't vote for him, yes? And that disaster happened before he took office.

I would certainly expect him to approve FEMA funding for any state that voted for him, yes. So the others are no surprise.

And as far as Trump's Twitter account -- you say that as though his Twitter account isn't his main way of communicating with the American people. And no, actually, I'm primarily basing it on a Fox News interview he did with Bill O'Reilly that aired right before the Superbowl.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2026 on: February 14, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »

I don't really see that point of arguing about what Trump's motivations for potential actions might or might not be. Neither of you have relevant information so you're both just projecting your own feelings about the president.

Quite true. Though I do think there are a fair number of indications of what motivates the president to act.

BeginnerStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2027 on: February 14, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

I would be part of that statistic that went from disapprove to approve. Obama ensuring a competent FEMA is good for everybody.

Yep, let's hope Trump picks up where he left off. I would suggest he pick a competent and dedicated person to head up FEMA. So far he hasn't picked anyone.

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2028 on: February 14, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »

In theory, President Trump should approve Governor Brown's request. So far in his presidency, Trump has approved 9 Major Disaster Declarations according to FEMA's disaster site, including strong winter storms and flooding in Oregon last month. Based off of his previous declarations for appropriate disasters, I believe he will approve Governor Brown's request.

So, Oregon is the only state in the list that didn't vote for him, yes? And that disaster happened before he took office.

I would certainly expect him to approve FEMA funding for any state that voted for him, yes. So the others are no surprise.

And as far as Trump's Twitter account -- you say that as though his Twitter account isn't his main way of communicating with the American people. And no, actually, I'm primarily basing it on a Fox News interview he did with Bill O'Reilly that aired right before the Superbowl.

I picked Oregon because it was the most similar of that list to what's happening in California. Unless you can provide evidence of a Major Disaster Declaration that has been denied, I don't think it's prudent to argue this point. Weather is the driving factor here and the south has had more damaging storms recently.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2029 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »

I picked Oregon because it was the most similar of that list to what's happening in California. Unless you can provide evidence of a Major Disaster Declaration that has been denied, I don't think it's prudent to argue this point. Weather is the driving factor here and the south has had more damaging storms recently.

No. I can't provide evidence of a declaration that has been denied. But I also can't provide any examples of other states that have filed for disaster relief where a sitting president has recently verbally threatened to "defund" the state for not doing what he wants.

And again, I do think he will eventually be convinced to provide disaster relief to CA by his staff. But I don't think he'll do it happily.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:56:05 AM by Kris »

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #2030 on: February 14, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »

Ham handed?  Miller went full-on Dictator (watch some clips here).  Kinda invalidates all of your other conjectures.

I agree that Miller went full on Dictator, but in such a amateurish, clumsy way that is why I called it ham handed.  When I watched it I was actually laughing at him.  Can anyone see any way for the Flynn swirl to end well for the administration?  Seems very Watergate-ish, as in the action was bad enough, but the cover up is worse.  The White House knew about this since sometime in January and were warned, but ignored it.  GOP Senators have joined the call for an investigation.  Roy Blunt was just elected to a 6 year term - wish my gutless GOP Senator that was just elected will join in, but of course he says he has no comment right now. 

accolay

• Bristles
« Reply #2031 on: February 14, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »
Yep, let's hope Trump picks up where he left off. I would suggest he pick a competent and dedicated person to head up FEMA. So far he hasn't picked anyone.

Trumps track record thus far unfortunately points to appointing unqualified and incompetent. But hopefully not worse than Brown and Chertoff.

It's pretty strange that we're having the conversation that we're not sure if a sitting president is or is not going to help a state with disaster funding.

As far as timeline, it's been four days since Brown requested the funds (Feb 10th). It took two days from Mississippi's governor asking (Jan 23 to approval Jan 25), to the request approval (requested Feb 10th). One day for Louisiana (requested Feb 10, approved Feb 11), seven days for Oklahoma (Feb 3 request to Feb 10 approval). In case you're wondering, it was a pain in the ass to look that up.

How long it will take the administration to approve CA? My bet is 14 days...enough for the administration to build that tension and drama. (If you want to bet too, we're using Price is Right rules- if you go over, you lose).

Anyone know the formula for deciding the amount of funds given, or is it an arbitrary number? You know, right off the top of your head?

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2032 on: February 14, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

Trumps track record thus far unfortunately points to appointing unqualified and incompetent. But hopefully not worse than Brown and Chertoff.

It's pretty strange that we're having the conversation that we're not sure if a sitting president is or is not going to help a state with disaster funding.

As far as timeline, it's been four days since Brown requested the funds (Feb 10th). It took two days from Mississippi's governor asking (Jan 23 to approval Jan 25), to the request approval (requested Feb 10th). One day for Louisiana (requested Feb 10, approved Feb 11), seven days for Oklahoma (Feb 3 request to Feb 10 approval). In case you're wondering, it was a pain in the ass to look that up.

Any particular reason you think Brown is unqualified and incompetent?

... oh wait, are you talking about Gov. Jerry Brown or former FEMA Michael Brown in this context?  You reference Jerry earlier.  Confused.

cliffhanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2033 on: February 14, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
accolay, this thread has got me interested in this process as well, so I'll give it a shot.

In a previous post, I had found the Disaster Declaration Process, which lays it out pretty well. It appears that a Preliminary Damage Assessment (PDA) will take place. FEMA will assign an impact indicator and compare it to the thresholds that have been declared here. If the per capita impact determined by the PDA is higher than the per capita impact indicator, I think FEMA would recommend the President to declare disaster assistance.

We are talking about Trump here, so anything can happen. I'll take an objective approach to this and see what the data from the PDA is before trashing/supporting Trump on this. If Gov. Brown's estimate of $162+ million turns out to be accurate, I don't see this getting rejected.

I'll also join the betting game! I going to say 25 days! It'll be a wait and see approach as the rain continues this week, then damage needs to be assessed.

Kris, this might interest you. I found the Preliminary Damage Assessment reports, which has a few denials. Unfortunately, this hasn't been updated with any of Trump's declaration. Take the FY2017 Delaware request, for instance. It appears it was denied because the assessed impact was below the impact indicator.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2034 on: February 14, 2017, 01:49:43 PM »
I'll also join the betting game! I going to say 25 days! It'll be a wait and see approach as the rain continues this week, then damage needs to be assessed.

oh why not.... I'll say 14 days.  I think Trump has a poor hand here; California has the economy to stomach a $162MM hit, and Trump would loose more than he gains by withholding funding; CA has 14 GOP members, including one (McClintock-R) from the district where the Lake Oroville dam is. Imagine how pissed he'd be if Trump withheld relief money over a perceived grudge.

So he'd likely loose some support from his own party in congress while not gaining much leverage. That's my read anyhow.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2035 on: February 14, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »

oh why not.... I'll say 14 days.  I think Trump has a poor hand here; California has the economy to stomach a $162MM hit, and Trump would loose more than he gains by withholding funding; CA has 14 GOP members, including one (McClintock-R) from the district where the Lake Oroville dam is. Imagine how pissed he'd be if Trump withheld relief money over a perceived grudge.

So he'd likely loose some support from his own party in congress while not gaining much leverage. That's my read anyhow.

I'll say 20 days, just to enter the game.

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2036 on: February 14, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »
What do you think is the over/under on the number of Trump senior advisers/cabinet secretaries that will be forced to resign or be impeached and removed?

If the current trend (1/month) continues, it'll be 48 in the first Trump term.

I think this Russia thing has legs only because many high ranking GOP senators are against warmer ties with Russia.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2037 on: February 14, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
What do you think is the over/under on the number of Trump senior advisers/cabinet secretaries that will be forced to resign or be impeached and removed?

I think this Russia thing has legs only because many high ranking GOP senators are against warmer ties with Russia.
There's enough GOP hawks in congress who's hatred of Russia is far stronger than their allegiance to Trump.  I still wouldn't be surprised if the Kremlin 'leaks' some  kompromat on DJT or Tillerman (or both) in the next 6 months.

Assuming they have some komrpomat (which I suspect they do) - the reason they haven't released it yet is because the Trump administration has been doing such a bang-up job of shooting itself in the foot over nad over.  Putin will wait until DJT gets his feet under him and when it finally seems like they've finally bandaged over their self-inflicted wounds.

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2038 on: February 14, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »

There's enough GOP hawks in congress who's hatred of Russia is far stronger than their allegiance to Trump.  I still wouldn't be surprised if the Kremlin 'leaks' some  kompromat on DJT or Tillerman (or both) in the next 6 months.

Assuming they have some komrpomat (which I suspect they do) - the reason they haven't released it yet is because the Trump administration has been doing such a bang-up job of shooting itself in the foot over nad over.  Putin will wait until DJT gets his feet under him and when it finally seems like they've finally bandaged over their self-inflicted wounds.
Nah, Putin will want Trump to stay in power as long as possible, he'll want his money's worth for that 19% of Rosneft.  It'll be bad luck for him if the US Constitution and the rule of law come good and Trump is ousted.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2039 on: February 14, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »

Nah, Putin will want Trump to stay in power as long as possible, he'll want his money's worth for that 19% of Rosneft.  It'll be bad luck for him if the US Constitution and the rule of law come good and Trump is ousted.
Putin knows the likelihood of a GOP house bringing articles of impeachment on DJT are about as likely as Poland invading Russia.  He'll want Trump roiling in domestic controversy for as long as possible, letting him continue his crusade to re-annex the old bloc states.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2040 on: February 14, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »
I agree with Nereo that I am far from convinced the Republicans will impeach Trump.

It seems incredible. But I think they are so gutless and so complacent in their power that they are rather likely to succumb to inertia.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2041 on: February 14, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
The NY Times is reporting that numerous Trump campaign aides had repeated contacts with Russian intelligence. Yeah, that's not just impeachment material, that will get you prison too. Nixon was caught spying on the Democrats. But a Presidential candidate colluding with a hostile, foreign intelligence service that was manipulating our election???

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-campaign-aides-had-repeated-contacts-with-russian-intelligence/ar-AAmWODE?li=BBnbcA1

Phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald J. Trumpís 2016 presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election, according to four current and former American officials.
American law enforcement and intelligence agencies intercepted the communications around the same time that they were discovering evidence that Russia was trying to disrupt the presidential election by hacking into the Democratic National Committee, three of the officials said.
"Not all quotes on the internet are accurate" -- Abraham Lincoln

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2042 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
The NY Times is reporting that numerous Trump campaign aides had repeated contacts with Russian intelligence. Yeah, that's not just impeachment material, that will get you prison too. Nixon was caught spying on the Democrats. But a Presidential candidate colluding with a hostile, foreign intelligence service that was manipulating our election???

So the big story tomorrow (or late today) is that Russia has deployed a new missile that violates the 1987 proliferation treaty.  I fear that the US is now stuck depending on Trump to stand up to the same people that compromised his Presidency from the get-go.  I mean, WTF is going on with giving Putin a pass on former (ongoing) transgressions and even somewhat favorable treatment? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/world/europe/russia-cruise-missile-arms-control-treaty.html?_r=0

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-missiles-idUSKBN15T2CS

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/politics/russia-cruise-missile-spy-ship/index.html

This is seriously scary stuff.  Just as I realized, not long ago when DeVos was appointed, just how fragile democracy was, I now realize just how fragile our US way of life is, having it so concentrated in NYC.  One significant unstoppable medium range attack (now made possible) and instead of significant, but ultimately symbolic twin towers falling, we are talking about our heart being ripped out.

I wouldn't blame it all on Trump, he has only been President for a few weeks, but I also don't expect him to take the necessary actions to prevent the threat from growing.  Sadly, every day we are stuck in this neutral position of incompetence, is one more day that we are projecting power in the Middle East and getting further compromised by a real master strategist, Putin.  I've come to admire just how sharp he seems to be, when I listen to the WH faces of Spicer, Miller, Conway, Ivanka ... and don't even get me started on Trump's Tweets.  We are so screwed.

• Bristles
« Reply #2043 on: February 14, 2017, 09:33:34 PM »
Any new president might be tested in such a manner, but Trump's obliviousness make him a prime candidate for a blitzkrieg of Kremlin bullshit. There is also the renewed meddling in Ukraine going on right now. One theory is Trump is positioning for a grand bargain with Russia, though a more realistic reading suggests he doesn't know what to do because he's retarded. As Garry Kasparov (who I met last year--I'd thought I'd casually point out to increase my status) tweeted: "Winter is here."

But Putin does not want to kill Americans because Putin is rational. The point of putting missiles here, or taking over Ukrainian towns there is to build up bargaining chips for various concessions the US and Europe could make. The Economist's briefing was excellent at pointing out many of the dynamics at play.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2044 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
As Garry Kasparov (who I met last year--I'd thought I'd casually point out to increase my status) tweeted: "Winter is here."

But Putin does not want to kill Americans because Putin is rational. The point of putting missiles here, or taking over Ukrainian towns there is to build up bargaining chips for various concessions the US and Europe could make. The Economist's briefing was excellent at pointing out many of the dynamics at play.

But what would any chess player do when confronted with a vast inferior?  Get bored with the game.  The least us Americans can do is show that we are worthy adversaries.  So what does it take to get a real President installed?

• Bristles
« Reply #2045 on: February 14, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »
As Garry Kasparov (who I met last year--I'd thought I'd casually point out to increase my status) tweeted: "Winter is here."

But what would any chess player do when confronted with a vast inferior?  Get bored with the game.  The least us Americans can do is show that we are worthy adversaries.  So what does it take to get a real President installed?
Apparently Magnus Carlsen would begin to analyze surrounding games when bored in a tournament (by analogy to Russia, Estonia? China?). The US#1 is(?) Nakamura (though how good is Wesley So these days?)  but Nakamura is relatively good at speed chess rather than classical time controls (another good analogy?).

The US does have an asset, ironically, in Trump himself. He is unpredictable enough so that he might credibly turn the board over if the game is not going well. It's hard to fully play the Mad-Man Trump card when surrounded by Goldman Sachs executives that have a vested interests in their business dealings over Trump's vanity, but ultimately, Trump controls the nukes.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2046 on: February 14, 2017, 09:57:29 PM »

Apparently Magnus Carlsen would begin to analyze surrounding games when bored in a tournament (by analogy to Russia, Estonia? China?). The US#1 is(?) Nakamura (though how good is Wesley So these days?)  but Nakamura is relatively good at speed chess rather than classical time controls (another good analogy?).

The US does have an asset, ironically, in Trump himself. He is unpredictable enough so that he might credibly turn the board over if the game is not going well. It's hard to fully play the Mad-Man Trump card when surrounded by Goldman Sachs executives that have a vested interests in their business dealings over Trump's vanity, but ultimately, Trump controls the nukes.

I don't say this everyday... but today I'll take a break from being calm - HOLY SHIT YOU ARE FUCKING NUTS.  'Flip the board over', by which you tacitly mean launch nukes?  Well, I thought it was nice to read your posts, but you have nothing to add.

• Bristles
« Reply #2047 on: February 14, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »

I don't say this everyday... but today I'll take a break from being calm - HOLY SHIT YOU ARE FUCKING NUTS.  'Flip the board over', by which you tacitly mean launch nukes?  Well, I thought it was nice to read your posts, but you have nothing to add.
Well, wasn't that Nixon's strategy in Vietnam? It's nothing new to use your own (perceived or real) insanity against your opponents. Note my reading of Putin's maneuvers were assuming he was rational. But if you drop that assumption, the world does suddenly become a scarier place. "Turning the board over" could mean nukes in the extreme case, but even barring that, the Commander in Chief  holds considerable unilateral military power at lower levels as well.

• Bristles
« Reply #2048 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
To add to the point: if Putin thinks Trump has any inclination to resort to insane measures (recall Trump's repeated queries regarding our nuclear capabilities), then Putin has to calculate the possibility Trump is insane into any negotiation. That way, regardless if Trump is actually insane or not, Trump's reputation of possibly being insane has impacted the dynamics. I don't actually think anyone is nuking anyone here. But the uncertainty of motivations and intentions matters.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #2049 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »
The first item on my to-do list most days is this:

Dismantle the privately funded two party system.

The privately funded two party system gave us Trump, McConnell, DeVos, Tillerson, etc.

Trump and his team are a symptom of our flawed system that's been corrupted over 100+ years of courts deciding that more and more constitutional rights belong to corporations. This corporate personhood took its final form in 2010 with Citizens United. Trump just happened to tap into the base that had been cultivated by the GOP noise machine, and co-opted it.

If you want to help - find out how you can take action in this thread.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/house-res-48-stop-corp-personhood-trump's-a-symptom-let's-fix-the-system/

Or read this article.

The following reps sit on the House Judiciary Committee. If you agree with HJR48(115th) and are represented by any of these people, please call them. They're the ones who can make this resolution go through. (It's introduced every year and every year it dies. 2017 can be the year it's adopted).

Currently on the House Judiciary Committee:
Steve King (Iowa-4th)  zip codes staring with 50___
Steve Cohen (TN-9th)
Jerry Nadler(NY-10th)
Ron Desantis (FL-6th) Jacksonville area
Trent Franks (AZ-8th) Peoria, AZ
Louis Gohmert (TX-1st)
Jamie Raskin(MD-8th)
Trey Gowdy(SC-4th)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:33:14 PM by Malaysia41 »
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.