Author Topic: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?  (Read 132517 times)

nereo

• Walrus Stache
Re: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?
« Reply #1650 on: January 31, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
DHS police (customs, border patrol, etc.) have jurisdiction within 100 miles of any border (including water), which covers ~60% of U.S. citizens, and most of the left-leaning population centers.

I just learned that too   (sigh)

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone

That's not a new policy under Trump.  If a reasonable candidate had run on fixing constitutional infringements like that, they might have one.

LOL https://berniesanders.com/issues/a-fair-and-humane-immigration-policy/

and.... the democratic party actively worked to rig their primary against him.  I disagreed with a lot of what Sanders had to say.  On civil liberties for citizens, however, he would have been a better choice than either of the 2 main party candidates.

To add - You don't have to be an advocate of open borders to disagree with unconstitutional search policies for citizens.
I've never put much stock in that argument.  The Democratic party is a private party, and for his entire career as a Senator Sanders has been an independent.  Why would the Democrats NOT favor a lifelong party member over someone who only joins them out of convenience?
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1651 on: January 31, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
DHS police (customs, border patrol, etc.) have jurisdiction within 100 miles of any border (including water), which covers ~60% of U.S. citizens, and most of the left-leaning population centers.

That's not a new policy under Trump.  If a reasonable candidate had run on fixing constitutional infringements like that, they might have one.

and.... the democratic party actively worked to rig their primary against him.  I disagreed with a lot of what Sanders had to say.  On civil liberties for citizens, however, he would have been a better choice than either of the 2 main party candidates.

To add - You don't have to be an advocate of open borders to disagree with unconstitutional search policies for citizens.

and... at this point Trump is the pres and he bears full responsibility for doing the right thing regardless of what anyone else does/would do.

Dragoncar - I'm not a Trump fanboy, but blaming Trump for the years old 100 mile non-constitution zone less than 2 weeks into his presidency is ludicrous. 

If you want to blame him for blocking people from this country that should have been allowed in I'll agree with you.  4 years from now when the 100 mile non-constitution zone still exists, I'll agree with you that he should have done something about it.  2 weeks in, not so much.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1652 on: January 31, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
I'm torn between going full on doomsday prepper and considering what I'll do if the Fourth Reich actually rises and DHS starts goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Avenue, and telling myself to quit overreacting. There is no in between.

I've already downloaded this app to my phone for secure communications. https://whispersystems.org
If anyone knows of anything better, please let me know.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1653 on: January 31, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »

I've never put much stock in that argument.  The Democratic party is a private party, and for his entire career as a Senator Sanders has been an independent.  Why would the Democrats NOT favor a lifelong party member over someone who only joins them out of convenience?

Nereo - There is much consternation about Trump's lack of care for constitutional protections for citizens of this country.  My point, which I'll stand by, is that neither party put forth a candidate advocating a good platform in that regard.  We can argue that Trump is worse, but both candidates were piss poor on rolling back big brother.

The response I received was - Sanders.  If the democratic establishment cared anything about this topic (they don't and neither do the Repubs), they would have found someone besides Clinton to run.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1654 on: January 31, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »
Dragoncar - I'm not a Trump fanboy, but blaming Trump for the years old 100 mile non-constitution zone less than 2 weeks into his presidency is ludicrous. 

If you want to blame him for blocking people from this country that should have been allowed in I'll agree with you.  4 years from now when the 100 mile non-constitution zone still exists, I'll agree with you that he should have done something about it.  2 weeks in, not so much.

I don't think anyone is blaming Trump for the 100-mile rule. My original point was that DHS has demonstrated loyalty to Trump in spite of a court order, AND that they have actual, legal jurisdiction way beyond where most people realize, AND that they can bend the Fourth Amendment (not that it matters much when you're already ignoring the courts) within that 100 mile zone.

If they, by and large, are more loyal to Trump than to the Constitution and United States Code, it's a big problem.
The first step is acknowledging you have a problem, right?

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1655 on: January 31, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »

I don't think anyone is blaming Trump for the 100-mile rule. My original point was that DHS has demonstrated loyalty to Trump in spite of a court order, AND that they have actual, legal jurisdiction way beyond where most people realize, AND that they can bend the Fourth Amendment (not that it matters much when you're already ignoring the courts) within that 100 mile zone.

If they, by and large, are more loyal to Trump than to the Constitution and United States Code, it's a big problem.

The theme seems to be, however, sudden worries about constitutional infringements under Trump.  Constitutional erosion has been going on for quite some time.  I didn't vote for Obama, but one of the things I hoped he might do, is roll back govt over reach.  That certainly didn't happen.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1656 on: January 31, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »

The theme seems to be, however, sudden worries about constitutional infringements under Trump.  Constitutional erosion has been going on for quite some time.  I didn't vote for Obama, but one of the things I hoped he might do, is roll back govt over reach.  That certainly didn't happen.

Constitutional infringements are at a whole different level when the executive disobeys the judiciary.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1657 on: January 31, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

Nereo - There is much consternation about Trump's lack of care for constitutional protections for citizens of this country.  My point, which I'll stand by, is that neither party put forth a candidate advocating a good platform in that regard.  We can argue that Trump is worse, but both candidates were piss poor on rolling back big brother.

The response I received was - Sanders.  If the democratic establishment cared anything about this topic (they don't and neither do the Repubs), they would have found someone besides Clinton to run.

I'll agree that the respective choices weren't acceptable or optimal for a huge swath of the country.  I just don't agree when people use terms like "rigged" (a Sander's and Trump sound bite).  It wasn't rigged.  There was no reason why should have supported Sanders.  What the DNC *did* fail to do was support a Democrat without so much political baggage.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1658 on: January 31, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »

Constitutional infringements are at a whole different level when the executive disobeys the judiciary.

As opposed to the Obama administration - http://aclj.org/executive-power/federal-court-throws-rulebook-at-obamas-intentionally-deceptive-doj-in-scorching-smackdown

For the record, executive branch should obey court order.  I disagree with both actions.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1659 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »

I'll agree that the respective choices weren't acceptable or optimal for a huge swath of the country.  I just don't agree when people use terms like "rigged" (a Sander's and Trump sound bite).  It wasn't rigged.  There was no reason why should have supported Sanders.  What the DNC *did* fail to do was support a Democrat without so much political baggage.

In the context of this discussion, Sanders was thrown as a response for a candidate favoring reigning in constitutional over reach..  Rigged may not be the best term, but the DNC certainly did everything in their power to put him away and get Clinton in the general. 

On this topic, neither the democratic establishment nor the republican establishment seems concerned about correcting the situation. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1660 on: January 31, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »

As opposed to the Obama administration - http://aclj.org/executive-power/federal-court-throws-rulebook-at-obamas-intentionally-deceptive-doj-in-scorching-smackdown

For the record, executive branch should obey court order.  I disagree with both actions.
Interesting read. Thank you.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1661 on: January 31, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »

I think there's also an element of staking out an extreme position you ultimately intend to walk back (to what you really wanted in the first place) in the name of "compromise."

...or perhaps it's even more simple.  DJT sees himself as a great negotiator, and thinks the best thing to do is strike first and exploit weaknesses to gain leverage. Then you can force more concessions.

Works ok when you are negotiating between businesses, but government isn't business.  When speaking about domestic affairs, your side "winning" usually means another group of Americans loses. DJT has not yet shown that he is capable of striking a deal that's mutually agreeable for all parties involved  when he has the leverage to smash his opponents.
While Trump may be an extreme example of this, certainly it has been a while since an administration has neglected to use their leverage to the fullest extent possible to accomplish their policy goals.

MustacheMathTM

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1662 on: January 31, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »

Those are not parallel cases.  In the story you link, as far as I can tell (and I certainly didn't read every related opinion), Obama's DOJ obeyed the injunction once issued.

Moreover, the underlying issue, giving extensions to undocumented workers who entered the US as a child, was hardly an infringement of individual constitutional rights.

So yes, I stand by my assertion that detaining/deporting people up without due process is a whole different level.

I agree that lawyers should be slapped down for lying, and they probably got off easy.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: February 01, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »

Those are not parallel cases.  In the story you link, as far as I can tell (and I certainly didn't read every related opinion), Obama's DOJ obeyed the injunction once issued.

Moreover, the underlying issue, giving extensions to undocumented workers who entered the US as a child, was hardly an infringement of individual constitutional rights.

So yes, I stand by my assertion that detaining/deporting people up without due process is a whole different level.

I agree that lawyers should be slapped down for lying, and they probably got off easy.

One of the assertions in the case I quoted is that DOJ lawyers lied to the court in order to keep the program in place.  In both instances, the executive branch was thumbing their noses at the court.  The end does not justify the means in either case.

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1664 on: February 01, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
A friend shared this on FB, and I couldn't decide exactly where to put it, but this seemed like the best spot. Feel free to copy and share on FB.

Why not take a break from negativity and learn about each other? 😃
1. Who are you named after?
There is a literal, fascist administration in office in the United States.
2. Last time you cried?
Resist it, unerringly, with all your strength.
3. Soda or water?
A woman, scheduled to be deported, attempted suicide in the airport.
4. What is your favorite lunch meat?
Donate to the ACLU.
5. Longest relationship?
Law enforcement is illegally enforcing the ban, even though a stay has been issued by the court system.
6. Do you still have your tonsils?
Soon, we won't have the courts to depend on, either.
7. Would you bungee jump?
Get your news from Twitter, not Facebook. FB manipulates what you see. Getting an account is easy. Ask me who to follow.
8. How many years at current job?
Stand up for minorities and women's health and freedom of the press.
9. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
Make sure to take care of your mental health in this tumultuous and stressful time.
10. Roller coasters?
Punching unapologetic actual Nazis is illegal and you definitely should do it every chance you get.
11. Favorite ice cream?
Many of the Democrats are folding. Keep the heat on them, keep writing and calling them.
12. Favorite thing to do?
This is not normal. Don't act like it is. You can't ignore this.
13. Football or baseball?
Steve Bannon has said himself he is a Leninist who wants to destroy and remake society, and he is manipulating the POTUS to sow chaos as a pretext for crushing civil liberties and others seizing permanent power.
14. Leggings or Jeans?
Install the Signal or Wickr app to make sure your messages are end-to-end encrypted and stop using FB messenger, Google Voice/Hangouts, and texting, which are easy to spy on.
15. What are you listening to?
Keep up with everything going on, do not let up.
16. Favorite Color?
Prepare for the increased repression of American citizens. It is coming.
17. Tattoos?
Keep in mind that he is constantly lying to us. Do not believe anything he says. If he says the sky is blue, look up and check it, yourself, or save time and assume that he's lying.
18. Married?
They still haven't fixed the pipes in Flint, Michigan.
19. Hair color?
Stop being complicit.
20. Eye color?
Stop being obedient.
21. Favorite to eat?
Stop fooling yourself that you won't have to fight somehow.
22. Scary movies or happy endings?
Stop being scared. Stand up for what you believe in.
23. Android or iPhone?
America is a country of immigrants. We are better because of our diversity.
24. Chevy, Ford, or Buick?
Elevate people less privileged than you who are being actively repressed.
25. Favorite holiday?
It will get worse. You are stronger than you think, and you can take it.
26. Beer or wine?
You have to. We don't have any other options.
27. Night owl or morning?
Your children and grandchildren will remember you by what you did during these years.
28. Favorite day of the week?
Dissent is American. *All* enemies, foreign *and domestic.*
Come on....someone do this with me. 😄 Let's have some fun, take a break from negativity and learn about each other.
Copy and paste into your status and just change your answers!
(I stole this: Writer unknown)
"Well I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation."   - David St. Hubins, This is Spinal Tap

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1665 on: February 01, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
I'm torn between going full on doomsday prepper and considering what I'll do if the Fourth Reich actually rises and DHS starts goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Avenue, and telling myself to quit overreacting. There is no in between.

I've already downloaded this app to my phone for secure communications. https://whispersystems.org

Signal. It's end-to-end encryption and they hang onto the bare minimum of your data that they are legally required to. That is, they can give out the phone numbers you've contacted (via warrant) but that's all. You can also make secure calls. However, the person on the other end needs to have Signal (or maybe just any encryption app?) for it to be secure. Get your friends and family on board.
MonkeyJenga is setting up a webpage called "I Marched Now What" for the resistance (seems silly to call it that, but that's basically what it is--resisting Trump) and I'm working on the "prudent paranoia" page as I have a lot of friends and family who work in security. If you want, MJ is putting this stuff up in her journal and she's going to let people know when the page is up and running.

robartsd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1666 on: February 01, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »

Signal. It's end-to-end encryption and they hang onto the bare minimum of your data that they are legally required to. That is, they can give out the phone numbers you've contacted (via warrant) but that's all. You can also make secure calls. However, the person on the other end needs to have Signal (or maybe just any encryption app?) for it to be secure. Get your friends and family on board.
MonkeyJenga is setting up a webpage called "I Marched Now What" for the resistance (seems silly to call it that, but that's basically what it is--resisting Trump) and I'm working on the "prudent paranoia" page as I have a lot of friends and family who work in security. If you want, MJ is putting this stuff up in her journal and she's going to let people know when the page is up and running.

Increasing the general awareness of how technology can make your communications more secure and private is a positive impact.

sol

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1667 on: February 01, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
Increasing the general awareness of how technology can make your communications more secure and private is a positive impact.

Good job finding the silver lining in the destruction of American ideals.

America may never again be the great nation it once aspired to be, but at least the remaining pockets of underground resistance patriots will learn to love crypto.  So I guess that's a win?

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: February 01, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »

America may never again be the great nation it once aspired to be, but at least the remaining pockets of underground resistance patriots will learn to love crypto.  So I guess that's a win?

Shouldn't we take those where we can get them?

A mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1669 on: February 01, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
Thank you so much for this! I had a friend post on Facebook that she was tired of seeing political posts and wanted to go back to seeing pictures of people's dinners.

A friend shared this on FB, and I couldn't decide exactly where to put it, but this seemed like the best spot. Feel free to copy and share on FB.

Why not take a break from negativity and learn about each other? 😃
1. Who are you named after?
There is a literal, fascist administration in office in the United States.
2. Last time you cried?
Resist it, unerringly, with all your strength.
3. Soda or water?
A woman, scheduled to be deported, attempted suicide in the airport.
4. What is your favorite lunch meat?
Donate to the ACLU.
5. Longest relationship?
Law enforcement is illegally enforcing the ban, even though a stay has been issued by the court system.
6. Do you still have your tonsils?
Soon, we won't have the courts to depend on, either.
7. Would you bungee jump?
Get your news from Twitter, not Facebook. FB manipulates what you see. Getting an account is easy. Ask me who to follow.
8. How many years at current job?
Stand up for minorities and women's health and freedom of the press.
9. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
Make sure to take care of your mental health in this tumultuous and stressful time.
10. Roller coasters?
Punching unapologetic actual Nazis is illegal and you definitely should do it every chance you get.
11. Favorite ice cream?
Many of the Democrats are folding. Keep the heat on them, keep writing and calling them.
12. Favorite thing to do?
This is not normal. Don't act like it is. You can't ignore this.
13. Football or baseball?
Steve Bannon has said himself he is a Leninist who wants to destroy and remake society, and he is manipulating the POTUS to sow chaos as a pretext for crushing civil liberties and others seizing permanent power.
14. Leggings or Jeans?
Install the Signal or Wickr app to make sure your messages are end-to-end encrypted and stop using FB messenger, Google Voice/Hangouts, and texting, which are easy to spy on.
15. What are you listening to?
Keep up with everything going on, do not let up.
16. Favorite Color?
Prepare for the increased repression of American citizens. It is coming.
17. Tattoos?
Keep in mind that he is constantly lying to us. Do not believe anything he says. If he says the sky is blue, look up and check it, yourself, or save time and assume that he's lying.
18. Married?
They still haven't fixed the pipes in Flint, Michigan.
19. Hair color?
Stop being complicit.
20. Eye color?
Stop being obedient.
21. Favorite to eat?
Stop fooling yourself that you won't have to fight somehow.
22. Scary movies or happy endings?
Stop being scared. Stand up for what you believe in.
23. Android or iPhone?
America is a country of immigrants. We are better because of our diversity.
24. Chevy, Ford, or Buick?
Elevate people less privileged than you who are being actively repressed.
25. Favorite holiday?
It will get worse. You are stronger than you think, and you can take it.
26. Beer or wine?
You have to. We don't have any other options.
27. Night owl or morning?
Your children and grandchildren will remember you by what you did during these years.
28. Favorite day of the week?
Dissent is American. *All* enemies, foreign *and domestic.*
Come on....someone do this with me. 😄 Let's have some fun, take a break from negativity and learn about each other.
Copy and paste into your status and just change your answers!
(I stole this: Writer unknown)

Luck12

• Stubble
« Reply #1670 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/02/trump-immigrants/515310/ 

From the article:

"The language is vague, but immigration law experts I spoke with on background said it might mean that millions of legal immigrants who have ever received public assistanceŚas half of native-born Americans currently doŚwould be targeted for deportation. "

I left a message on one of my senators' vmails to fight this vigorously.   

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1671 on: February 01, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
I'm honestly torn about the Supreme Court. 

On one hand it doesn't look this nominee is horrible.  If anything he is adamantly on the record as not showing any deference to other branches and focusing only on the law, which might be good about inevitable Trump related legal challenges.

He is very conservative though and tends to side with religion interests.

On the other hand, Garland was also an exemplary middle of the road choice that was previously approved on voice vote and we see how the (R)s treated him, so turnaround is fair play.

If the dems do roadblock him, the nuclear option will be used, and political capital will be spent now instead of on a possible future selection (like if RBG dies).

Just sad that after 200+ years, our most unique political activity (the senate) where the minority party holds significant power will inevitably be neutered with the nuclear option (if not now, then soon).

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1672 on: February 01, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/02/trump-immigrants/515310/ 

From the article:

"The language is vague, but immigration law experts I spoke with on background said it might mean that millions of legal immigrants who have ever received public assistanceŚas half of native-born Americans currently doŚwould be targeted for deportation. "

I left a message on one of my senators' vmails to fight this vigorously.

So, once again we see that he's not going to "create" jobs, he's just going to open up a bunch by kicking people out of the country and making it harder for certain groups to get the jobs that do exist. Lovely.
At least for some of this we can count on the big tech companies to strongly come out against it. I can think of at least four people in my office who would be directly affected by the second order.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1673 on: February 01, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

Of course, America was never as great as it aspired to be, so it would be hard to lay this at the feet of a president who has only been in office a few days, when the trend has been away from greatness for at least two decades.

MustacheMathTM

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1674 on: February 01, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »

On one hand it doesn't look this nominee is horrible.  If anything he is adamantly on the record as not showing any deference to other branches and focusing only on the law, which might be good about inevitable Trump related legal challenges.

On the other hand, Garland was also an exemplary middle of the road choice that was previously approved on voice vote and we see how the (R)s treated him, so turnaround is fair play.

If the dems do roadblock him, the nuclear option will be used, and political capital will be spent now instead of on a possible future selection (like if RBG dies).

Just sad that after 200+ years, our most unique political activity (the senate) where the minority party holds significant power will inevitably be neutered with the nuclear option (if not now, then soon).
This is how I feel.  The dems are going to tilt at this windmill, when it could be reasonable to accept him, and burn out before the next appointment, which could be much, much worse. Of course, the classic, ever helpful "But they did it too!!!" Will ring out from people interested only in their own needs, and not true progress for the country.

MustacheMathTM

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1675 on: February 01, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »

If he sides with religion, he is not following our Constitution.  Because what you really means is that he allows for Christians to enforce their beliefs on others.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1676 on: February 01, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
I mean, I totally agree this is a stolen supreme court pick (and anyone on the right claiming otherwise is about as disingenuous as one can be), but frankly it could have been a lot worse. I know a lot of analysts are saying he's similar to Scalia but from what I can tell he's not as outright hypocritically partisan as that old bastard was. And he actually has some history of standing up to executive authority.

Regardless, I don't think it matters if "political capital" is expended now or for a hypothetical future pick. the Repubs long ago proved that they will never cooperate whatsoever either way so if they didn't go nuclear now they would just do it next time and the outcome would be the same. Plus, if the Dems take back congress in 2018, they'll have a much easier time stonewalling picks until a moderate is put forth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:05:36 PM by Lagom »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1677 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
Just got word of a draft EO adding additional countries to the ban.  If signed, this will cost me a lot in travel already booked.  Might have to move to another country (if wife's family can not visit, I'm sure this will be the result).  This is not good for America and really depressing. 

Why didn't I travel last year????

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1678 on: February 01, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
Just got word of a draft EO adding additional countries to the ban.  If signed, this will cost me a lot in travel already booked.  Might have to move to another country (if wife's family can not visit, I'm sure this will be the result).  This is not good for America and really depressing. 

Now I know it's all gone to shit. A dour, straight post from dragoncar. Not a single clause of wit. This is not good for America and really depressing.

edit: time to sell more VTSAX.
last one to panic wins! (confession: I am kinda freakin' out a bit right now because the GOP is a cult and most of my family are card carrying members. It sucks.)

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

Official Enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded two party system that inflicted them upon us.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1679 on: February 01, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »

Now I know it's all gone to shit. A dour, straight post from dragoncar. Not a single clause of wit. This is not good for America and really depressing.

edit: time to sell more VTSAX.

At least we have the financial means to get through this.*  I really feel for those without.  Maybe if I bone up on immigration/constitutional law (this is not my area of expertise) I can help some people before I go.

*A cheaper country might even be good for us, financially.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:30:34 PM by dragoncar »

Kris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1680 on: February 01, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »

This is how I feel.  The dems are going to tilt at this windmill, when it could be reasonable to accept him, and burn out before the next appointment, which could be much, much worse. Of course, the classic, ever helpful "But they did it too!!!" Will ring out from people interested only in their own needs, and not true progress for the country.

I really doubt it. There are a number of Democrats in right-leaning states who won't dare oppose him, so he'll get through in the end.
"Well I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation."   - David St. Hubins, This is Spinal Tap

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1681 on: February 01, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »

Had it not been for Garland, maybe there would have been a case for an easy confirmation. But this is not a time for building up  political capital... the Reps have not shown themselves to be honorable of late, anyway.  This is where Dems show that they have the toughness to hold together.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1682 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
With regard to the pick, it is a done deal, but the Dems probably shouldn't back down because there is no point in saving an option for later that doesn't work. You may as well make the Repubs change the rules now and get it over with. If you don't have a majority in Congress you lose and the other side gets to appoint whoever the fuck they want.

It sucks and it shouldn't be that way. In the end it has more potential to work out poorly for both sides, but it is how the rules work currently.

That is basically a summary of this:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/make-republicans-nuke-the-filibuster-to-confirm-gorsuch.html

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1683 on: February 01, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »

The republicans abused the system to prevent nomination of a perfectly acceptable appointee.  If the Democrats do the same, it will either:
- force the Republicans to change in rules to something that prevents the type of self-serving behaviour that they pioneered (America benefits)
- prevent nomination of the Republican selected judge (No real change to America)
If the Democrats roll over, then the next time that they need to appoint someone what will stop the Republicans from abusing the system again?

In this case, opposing the nomination out of hand will most likely serve to strengthen America and is true progress for the country.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1684 on: February 01, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »

Had it not been for Garland, maybe there would have been a case for an easy confirmation. But this is not a time for building up  political capital... the Reps have not shown themselves to be honorable of late, anyway.  This is where Dems show that they have the toughness to hold together.
I just love how these exact same arguments were used by the other side during the last presidency. It's very frustrating that neither side will work with the other, the only reason being that they're the other side.

MustacheMathTM

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1685 on: February 01, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
The republicans abused the system to prevent nomination of a perfectly acceptable appointee.  If the Democrats do the same, it will either:
- force the Republicans to change in rules to something that prevents the type of self-serving behaviour that they pioneered (America benefits)
- prevent nomination of the Republican selected judge (No real change to America)
If the Democrats roll over, then the next time that they need to appoint someone what will stop the Republicans from abusing the system again?

In this case, opposing the nomination out of hand will most likely serve to strengthen America and is true progress for the country.
We'd be back in the same boat. I disagree that there is 'no real change to America' from congressional deadlock. I believe in the long-term it is detrimental, and when both parties put their political affiliations before the functioning of the country, it gets me a bit depressed about the entire system.

MustacheMathTM

sol

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1686 on: February 01, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
I just love how these exact same arguments were used by the other side during the last presidency. It's very frustrating that neither side will work with the other, the only reason being that they're the other side.

I don't see the same equivalency that you do.  Republicans broke with protocol on this point.  You can't blame the Democrats for that decision.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1687 on: February 01, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »
Holy Crap, it's already happening.  We are all too distracted by Supreme Court implications (do we block this somewhat too far Right but not that bad guy) and Tweets (his comments on Frederick Douglass are so easy to ridicule) that we miss the fact that Trump really only cares about making money

As such, he is severely compromised and everyone except him and his inner circle should be terrified.
Transitioning to FIRE'd albeit somewhat cautiously...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1688 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »

I don't see the same equivalency that you do.  Republicans broke with protocol on this point.  You can't blame the Democrats for that decision.
I would totally blame them for not working to fix the system. If "well they did it first" is the only argument for an action that everyone agrees is improper, I will completely blame both sides for engaging in the same behavior.

MustacheMathTM

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1689 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »

I would totally blame them for not working to fix the system. If "well they did it first" is the only argument for an action that everyone agrees is improper, I will completely blame both sides for engaging in the same behavior.
Seriously, do you think Democrats or liberals are just plain evil and dismiss them?  Did you see my last post about Trump using his businesses to profit off of his run for Presidency.  This is probably not an isolated incident.  After Obama and GW and Clinton, I didn't like much of what was going on, but I don't think any of the recent Presidential runs were money hungry like Trump.  If he doesn't make billions and move markets, he probably will be #Sad. For all we know, sitting atop incredible 'potential energy', he is planning out how to make a great deal of what once was a 14T economy flow to Donald Jr., Ivanka / Kushner, Eric, and even a few hundred million to Tiffany.  We've handed over our global face to the fox in the henhouse.  Sadly, he will also blow this up for his kids but we are all strapped to the same missile.  What once was destined to challenge the Universe and venture to Mars is now targeted on Iran and moving around rocks on our quickly receding land masses.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1690 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »

Seriously, do you think Democrats or liberals are just plain evil and dismiss them?  Did you see my last post about Trump using his businesses to profit off of his run for Presidency.  This is probably not an isolated incident.  After Obama and GW and Clinton, I didn't like much of what was going on, but I don't think any of the recent Presidential runs were money hungry like Trump.  If he doesn't make billions and move markets, he probably will be #Sad. For all we know, sitting atop incredible 'potential energy', he is planning out how to make a great deal of what once was a 14T economy flow to Donald Jr., Ivanka / Kushner, Eric, and even a few hundred million to Tiffany.  We've handed over our global face to the fox in the henhouse.  Sadly, he will also blow this up for his kids but we are all strapped to the same missile.  What once was destined to challenge the Universe and venture to Mars is now targeted on Iran and moving around rocks on our quickly receding land masses.
So how is stonewalling a quite acceptable (by most accounts) SCOTUS judge nomination helping to stop Trump from immoral and illegal business dealings?

MustacheMathTM

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1691 on: February 01, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
(not quoting a wall of text)
I think that SCOTUS is a long term (more significant than normal) appointment.  Maybe it is politicized, but stonewalling should not immediately raise hackles.  For some multi-decade decision, time should be taken.  Maybe that is the problem in this modern world, in fact, that we make permanent decisions about our future in a week.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1692 on: February 01, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
(not quoting a wall of text)
I think that SCOTUS is a long term (more significant than normal) appointment.  Maybe it is politicized, but stonewalling should not immediately raise hackles.  For some multi-decade decision, time should be taken.  Maybe that is the problem in this modern world, in fact, that we make permanent decisions about our future in a week.

Or in rage/revenge-filled seconds, in the case of our current POTUS.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1693 on: February 01, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
Absolutely the decision should be carefully weighed. There is a process in place for considering SCOTUS appointments, and as far as I can tell that process is not broken. Republicans did an end run around that process with the last nomination. Suggesting that the Democrats attempt, or supporting for, the same maneuver is not a positive direction for political action in this country, and makes them just as bad as Republicans. (IMO)

If the nominee is not suited or unwanted, then they should be voted down, regardless of the party nominating them.

MustacheMathTM

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1694 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »
I honestly feel like I'm living through the movie "Idiocracy".  Surely this was a parody on what was possible but not real.  And yet here we are.  Trump now pulling out his 'world class diplomacy' on Iran.  Won't it be awesome to watch a first world country withdraw from the global economy (that benefits it disproportionately), closes its borders to cheap labor and talented academics from other countries, and uses significant assets to attack third world countries (as opposed to maybe renewable energy or space programs) .

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1695 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »
I have yet to hear a convincing argument why we should be treating Iran like we do. There are many other countries that sponsor terrorism against the US and our allies at a much more demonstrable level. Iran is also an enemy of pretty much all of those countries and yet because we have such deep business ties with them (looking at you Saudi Arabia), we pretend like Iran is the problem. A war with them is probably among the scariest realistic impacts I could see emerging from a Trump presidency.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:48:00 PM by Lagom »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1696 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:50 PM »
I honestly feel like I'm living through the movie "Idiocracy".  Surely this was a parody on what was possible but not real.  And yet here we are.  Trump now pulling out his 'world class diplomacy' on Iran.  Won't it be awesome to watch a first world country withdraw from the global economy (that benefits it disproportionately), closes its borders to cheap labor and talented academics from other countries, and uses significant assets to attack third world countries (as opposed to maybe renewable energy or space programs) .

There are now too many people in our simulation and it's breaking down

Unique User

• Bristles
« Reply #1697 on: February 02, 2017, 04:36:24 AM »

There are now too many people in our simulation and it's breaking down

The news this morning is unreal.  This is what happens when you put an unqualified egotistical individual with anger management issues being whispered to by a anti-Islamic Leninist in the White House.  Absolute f&%$ing chaos. 

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1698 on: February 02, 2017, 05:42:31 AM »
Well, according to the AP, Trump got angry with the PM of Australia over a pre-existing deal on refugees which was covered under the EO he signed.  Apparently he bragged about the size of his (ahem) electoral win and crowd sizes, then hung up.

Where in his "first 100 days" strategy did it say "piss off every one of our staunch allies"?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: February 02, 2017, 06:17:39 AM »

So how is stonewalling a quite acceptable (by most accounts) SCOTUS judge nomination helping to stop Trump from immoral and illegal business dealings?
For many democrats, he is not acceptable.  He is no way moderate (like the previous proposed SCOTUS judge).  Frankly the dems should be fighting against him.  The only reason to consider him "acceptable" is in comparison to the crazies he has otherwise nominated.