Author Topic: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?  (Read 498077 times)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?
« Reply #1350 on: January 24, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »
Trump wanted his mistress to get an abortion.   

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1351 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
Trump wanted his mistress to get an abortion.

Considering all the extramarital sex he has bragged about having, my guess is that there are a few abortions in his history.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »
Can God be removed from this?

YES! 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1353 on: January 24, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »

A little later in the history of our country (1796), the Treaty of Tripoli has this text:
Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries. Treaty signed by John Adams.

If you'd like to go a little further into the framers...
Two of the driving forces (Jefferson and Franklin) were Deists, while most were Presbyterian or Episcopalian.  Others were Catholic, Unitarian and Quakers. While all believed in a God in some form, overwhelmingly they agreed that the laws of the United States should be separate from the laws of any religion or church.  It was Jefferson who coined the term "separation of church and state."

These are the very same men who wrote and required the first amendment (along with the proceeding nine) to be included during ratification.

Also, article six states that :no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #1354 on: January 24, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
But isn't that exactly what you did when you voted for Trump? It sounds like you voted Trump, not because he was what you wanted, but it was the best option available, and a way to get things closer to what you wanted. I can not see why you can not think of Trump as a great reason for birth control (sorry about that.... I couldn't help putting those 2 points together in a witty, smart ass kind of way).

My point is still dead serious.
Nice background research! So just to be clear we're discussing my personal decisions now (ad hominem), not the validity of the argument.

Explaination
Hillary = many really bad with possibility of more really bad
Trump = many really bad with possibility of fewer really bad

The choice is clear.

And, Trump is hilarious. My previous post is entertaining to read, thanks for finding it. The big-ass nasty orange monkey wrench is busy.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1355 on: January 24, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
Where would you have authority derived from?

I believe the only officially correct answer to this question in the United States is "the consent of the governed".

It's right there in the Declaration of Independence.  They borrowed it from John Locke, who specifically proposed it as the foundational principle of democracy, in contrast to the divine right of kings that previously dictated European political structures.

You only get to argue with me in this point if you also believe we should have a king instead of a president.

Well done!
An expanded quote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...."

Can God be removed from this?

My mom and dad created me, in an unholy union that I try my best to never imagine.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:03:38 PM by GuitarStv »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1356 on: January 24, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »

The choice is clear.

And, Trump is hilarious. My previous post is entertaining to read, thanks for finding it. The big-ass nasty orange monkey wrench is busy.
So by your own logic you should support the choice (birth control) which leads to the "really bad" abortion (your words).
I'm not understanding why it is any different.

ETA: your expanation that committed adults who have inherent and large risk factors should either "accept the risks" or completely abstain seems oppressive and unethical to me and leaves out the obvious "express your physical love responsbily (e.g. by using condoms)"

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1357 on: January 24, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »
But isn't that exactly what you did when you voted for Trump? It sounds like you voted Trump, not because he was what you wanted, but it was the best option available, and a way to get things closer to what you wanted. I can not see why you can not think of Trump as a great reason for birth control (sorry about that.... I couldn't help putting those 2 points together in a witty, smart ass kind of way).

My point is still dead serious.
Nice background research! So just to be clear we're discussing my personal decisions now (ad hominem), not the validity of the argument.

Explaination

The choice is clear.

So you CAN promote bad in favor of less bad. That is why others question why favoring birth control (what you believe is a bad) in favor of having less abortions (what I believe most everyone would consider a VERY bad) is not a position you can agree with.

I agree it will be entertaining, but I am concerned it will be funny at the expense of others, many of them less fortunate than me. I like to think I am above that sort of thing, but I am human.

I thought this was funny, for example. I probably shouldn't. How the rest of the world views us will have a real impact on our ability to be prosperous in a world economy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/5pjfno/introduction_to_the_netherlands_for_donald_trump/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1358 on: January 24, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
More "real impacts" today:

DJT has instituted a media blackout for all EPA employees, and has ordered a freeze on awarding any new contract or grants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/trump-admin-orders-epa-contract-freeze-and-media-blackout/2017/01/24/f578db56-e271-11e6-a419-eefe8eff0835_story.html?utm_term=.31eff258f025

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1359 on: January 24, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »

DJT has instituted a media blackout for all EPA employees, and has ordered a freeze on awarding any new contract or grants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/trump-admin-orders-epa-contract-freeze-and-media-blackout/2017/01/24/f578db56-e271-11e6-a419-eefe8eff0835_story.html?utm_term=.31eff258f025

This thread has been hijacked by a major religious discussion. Maybe we can lead it back on topic. When I saw this latest news about the media blackouts for the EPA, NPS, and the USDA I became very concerned. I was not aware the President had the power to tell these organizations they may not speak about anything they are doing, with national security the only real exception. Much of what the EPA, NPS and USDA do require sharing of knowledge and informing the public. It seems like something out of a different era or time for a President to try to control this information. He is obviously trying to control all information that is released from Government agencies and keep the public uninformed. I am just wondering if congress is going to set by and let this stand. It is such an overreach of power.

I haven't posted much on MMM threads, but have been a lurker for many years. I value the information and opinions discussed by an obviously very intelligent base of posters. Any opinions on this latest news? I have been mostly upset over environmental policies of the new administration as some of the impacts cannot be reversed, but this latest news has me terrified. We might not even get a chance to know what is going on before it happens. What the heck! Public information is for the public!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1360 on: January 24, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
It is my understanding that peer-reviewed articles can still be published. But without funding, we probably won't see many of those either.

From the above-linked WaPo article: ARS spokesman Christopher Bentley said the ban would not include scientific publications released through peer-reviewed professional journals.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1361 on: January 24, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
Ok.   Is he going to send government handlers with any scientists presenting papers to make sure they toe the line?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1362 on: January 24, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »

This thread has been hijacked by a major religious discussion. Maybe we can lead it back on topic. When I saw this latest news about the media blackouts for the EPA, NPS, and the USDA I became very concerned. I was not aware the President had the power to tell these organizations they may not speak about anything they are doing, with national security the only real exception. Much of what the EPA, NPS and USDA do require sharing of knowledge and informing the public. It seems like something out of a different era or time for a President to try to control this information. He is obviously trying to control all information that is released from Government agencies and keep the public uninformed. I am just wondering if congress is going to set by and let this stand. It is such an overreach of power.

I haven't posted much on MMM threads, but have been a lurker for many years. I value the information and opinions discussed by an obviously very intelligent base of posters. Any opinions on this latest news? I have been mostly upset over environmental policies of the new administration as some of the impacts cannot be reversed, but this latest news has me terrified. We might not even get a chance to know what is going on before it happens. What the heck! Public information is for the public!

In a tragic sort of way I feel like fate is screwing with me.
PM Stephen Harper placed a similar order on the governmental scientists here in Canada which Trudeau recently lifted. I can say that the effect on morale and on science were both decidedly negative, as scientists stopped sharing their findings with the public.  The reasons given for Harper's ban sound earily similar; "we're trying... to make sure what goes out reflects the priorities of the administration".
Now that the ban has been lifted in Canada and we're looking at jobs in the US we find a similar restiction has just popped up there.

Make no mistake about it, this is an attempt to control information.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1363 on: January 24, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
Ok.   Is he going to send government handlers with any scientists presenting papers to make sure they toe the line?

It will be much easier to not fund any travels, conference fees, or other costs associated with preparing, publishing, or presenting papers.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1364 on: January 24, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
From the above-linked WaPo article: ARS spokesman Christopher Bentley said the ban would not include scientific publications released through peer-reviewed professional journals.
That's good, but a valid criticism of science and scientists is that what's published in peer reviewed journals is not seen or even very comprehensible to the average layperson.  A lot of effort has been made in the past few decades for scientists to share their research more directly with teh public by writing blogs, using social media, talking to journalists and giving community-level talks open to the public.  This seems to put a stop (at least temporarily) to all of those.

When there was a similar ban here in Canada, scientists couldn't even confirm their findings to journalists when they published important studies. Everything had to go through a government spokesperson, and it was a comlpete black=box regarding what was shared and what wasn't (as well as the reasons why some communications were blocked).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: January 24, 2017, 03:56:47 PM »

Don't worry, we've always had government handlers following us around to make sure we toe the line.  It's one of the worst parts of this job.

Usually "the line" is pretty easy.  Stick to the facts, represent your agency with dignity and professionalism, articulate your findings in language people can understand, and try not to piss people off.  The only political pressures I've felt in this job have been about internal power struggle between agencies, not national politics intervening with facts.

Some of my colleagues at other agencies were deep sixed under the Bush administration, but I haven't heard of a single instance of the executive branch interfering in federal research under Obama.  That doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I haven't heard about it the way I used to hear about Dick Cheney sending cease and desist letters to researchers.

I think today's EPA ban will be temporary, while they figure out what leverage they have to control their communications officers, and will be lifted once they restrict access to Twitter to people who have sworn the loyalty oath or whatever.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1366 on: January 24, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
If the democrats were smart and/or had any balls they would simply accuse Trump of something every other day on the house or senate floor (or some other way that gets good news coverage) that gets him mad like:
1) he's a sexual predator
2) he got less votes than Clinton
3) he has small hands, or penis, fuckit
4) say how he had sexual relations with putin
5) etc.

It doesn't have to be true, just say it. Then he'll spend four years (or less) just being mad and fighting with folks via twitter/press conferences and won't do much.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1367 on: January 24, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
If the democrats were smart and/or had any balls they would simply accuse Trump of something every other day on the house or senate floor (or some other way that gets good news coverage) that gets him mad like:
5) etc.

It doesn't have to be true, just say it. Then he'll spend four years (or less) just being mad and fighting with folks via twitter/press conferences and won't do much.

He'd show up all like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYLNEFY-Gnc

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1368 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
5) etc.

Trump spent years tweeting about Obama being born in Kenya.

We only have "a Trump spokesperson"'s word that Trump has sold his stakes in Energy Transfer Partners (the company overseeing construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline).  So why not spend the next four years demanding Trump prove that he has no financial interest in any of the companies involved in the pipeline?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1369 on: January 24, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »
5) etc.

I think the actions of this week have shown very clearly that Trump is perfectly capable of both complaining loudly and getting shit done in fucking record time.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »

I think the actions of this week have shown very clearly that Trump is perfectly capable of both complaining loudly and getting shit done in fucking record time.

Source on how much more shit he's getting done than his predecessors? That's not to mention, of course, the quality, consistency, and smell of this particular shit he's taking on us all, which is obviously quite debatable.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1371 on: January 24, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
Source on how much more shit he's getting done than his predecessors? That's not to mention, of course, the quality, consistency, and smell of this particular shit he's taking on us all, which is obviously quite debatable.

He can certainly sign executive orders quickly.  And issue media blackouts to federal agencies.  And put the EPA on a financial freeze.  It might not be more work on his part, but these things can have wide-reaching consequences.

It's a lot easier to tear things down than to build them up.  The second law of thermodynamics is working in your favor.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1372 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
getting shit done in fucking record time.

Personally, I don't consider the hiring freeze, pay freeze, media blackout, and press conferences full of "alternative facts" to be the kinds of shit that count as getting shit done.  Those are all the opposite of getting shit done.  Those are preventing shit from getting done.

But he did do SOME stuff, like name his inauguration day "National Day of Patriotic Devotion" like we're the DPRK.  That's some straight up Kim Jong Il style bullshit right there.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1373 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »

Personally, I don't consider the hiring freeze, pay freeze, media blackout, and press conferences full of "alternative facts" to be the kinds of shit that count as getting shit done.  Those are all the opposite of getting shit done.  Those are preventing shit from getting done.

Also - remember - these orders that Trump is signing aren't Trump's doing. These policies were hand crafted by Pence, McConnell, Gingrich (yes I know he's not in congress anymore but its clear he's having a say), possibly Cheney, and the entire tea party entourage including 'think tanks' like the Heritage foundation. They're writing and pushing their dream policy / policy that will create liberal tears (God I hate that component of their motivation - it's so puerile). Trump is just holding the pen and *possibly* is filtering out a few items. But these are not the work of Trump.

These policies are the work of the people whose movement Trump's psychological trickery tapped into.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:54:29 PM by Malaysia41 »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1374 on: January 24, 2017, 11:13:26 PM »

But he did do SOME stuff, like name his inauguration day "National Day of Patriotic Devotion" like we're the DPRK.  That's some straight up Kim Jong Il style bullshit right there.

And approving infrastructure projects and repealing mortgage fee cuts, etc. Again, not commenting on whether these are great or poor policies, but clearly he's not afraid to get things rolling. Looks like quite a few people were caught off-guard by some of his actions; I can see why they would become defensive that he has surprised them yet again.

And yes, his inauguration day name was dumb. But he's not the first to name his inauguration day something dumb. He's not even the first to name it "National Day of Patriotic Devotion", so I guess I won't personally get my panties in a bunch over this.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1375 on: January 25, 2017, 01:53:17 AM »
5) etc.

Trump spent years tweeting about Obama being born in Kenya.

We only have "a Trump spokesperson"'s word that Trump has sold his stakes in Energy Transfer Partners (the company overseeing construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline).  So why not spend the next four years demanding Trump prove that he has no financial interest in any of the companies involved in the pipeline?

Still haven't seen Trump's birth certificate.

Just saying.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »
And approving infrastructure projects and repealing mortgage fee cuts, etc. Again, not commenting on whether these are great or poor policies, but clearly he's not afraid to get things rolling. Looks like quite a few people were caught off-guard by some of his actions; I can see why they would become defensive that he has surprised them yet again.

And yes, his inauguration day name was dumb. But he's not the first to name his inauguration day something dumb. He's not even the first to name it "National Day of Patriotic Devotion", so I guess I won't personally get my panties in a bunch over this.

Still curious what your source is concluding that he is accomplishing anything noteworthy in record time. I would wager a lot of this stuff, like reviving the Mexico City Policy, are par for the course when a new party comes into office, as is getting the ball rolling on various top priorities.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1377 on: January 25, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
Every president in recent memory has undergone a "first 100 day" blitz of new appointments, executive orders and budget proposals.
I've seen no evidence that DJT has accomplished more in his first 5 days in office vs. other Presidents.

in fact, he is behind Obama, Reagan and Bush Sr. so far in getting cabinet positions confirmed.  So that's one area where he's lagging behind.

That said, I deeply disapprove of the things he has done so far.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1378 on: January 25, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
That's good, but a valid criticism of science and scientists is that what's published in peer reviewed journals is not seen or even very comprehensible to the average layperson.  A lot of effort has been made in the past few decades for scientists to share their research more directly with teh public by writing blogs, using social media, talking to journalists and giving community-level talks open to the public.  This seems to put a stop (at least temporarily) to all of those.

When there was a similar ban here in Canada, scientists couldn't even confirm their findings to journalists when they published important studies. Everything had to go through a government spokesperson, and it was a comlpete black=box regarding what was shared and what wasn't (as well as the reasons why some communications were blocked).
So fix education so people actually can understand.  Don't stop people from doing the research.  Most people don't understand coronary artery bypass and level of difficulty etc.  They could if they chose, but they don't.  We don't stop learning and improving because some people don't understand.
You can go to the library and read most journal articles.  It's not that hard.  But yes, it also requires education.  I don't see THAT coming from the GOP.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1379 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:14 AM »

And let's not forget that we'll finally get to the bottom of all of this rampant voter fraud and finally prove that Trump won the popular vote!  It will be such a relief to know that Trump actually is the best, most popular President.  Period.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1380 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
Two More:

The big one as we all know is the call for a voter fraud investigation. Utterly ridiculous, of course.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-seeks-%E2%80%98major-investigation%E2%80%99-into-unsupported-claims-of-voter-fraud/ar-AAmejnl?li=BBnb7Kz

Also, he wants to reopen/expand black site CIA torture prisons:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-poised-to-lift-ban-on-cia-%E2%80%98black-site%E2%80%99-prisons/ar-AAmenXv?li=BBnb7Kz

Interested to see how those who cited Guantanamo as a strike against Obama (even though that one is demonstrably not on him) respond to this one.

As an aside, I also am amazed at how quickly the Trumpists have co-opted the orange-one's Newspeak. If you look at the comments on those articles (I deliberately chose the right-leaning MSN for these links), you'll see quite a few Trump supporters accusing the liberal posters of using "fake news" and "alternative facts" to back up their views. Fascinating.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:07:35 PM by Lagom »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1381 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
As an aside, I also am amazed at how quickly the Trumpists have co-opted the orange-one's Newspeak. If you look at the comments on those articles (I deliberately chose the right-leaning MSN for these links), you'll see quite a few Trump supporters accusing the liberal posters of using "fake news" and "alternative facts" to back up their views. Fascinating.

This reminds me of elementary school ... [bully grabs your hand and hits you] "DUR! Why are you hitting yourself?"

I can feel the rage building ...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1382 on: January 25, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »

Still curious what your source is concluding that he is accomplishing anything noteworthy in record time. I would wager a lot of this stuff, like reviving the Mexico City Policy, are par for the course when a new party comes into office, as is getting the ball rolling on various top priorities.
Oh absolutely.  My point is that while the media and most of Trump's detractors are focusing on inaugural crowd sizes and personal spats, Trump is clearly working at a pace at least on Par with Obama, and actually faster than GW bush or Clinton.  One source It is clear that  to claim that he is spending all of his time arguing with reporters or tweeting or pouting about news coverage is clearly incorrect.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1383 on: January 25, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-epa-climatechange-idUSKBN15906G?

Lets wipe out our climate change data so there won't be any proof.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1385 on: January 25, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
And expand Trump's business empire even though he totally isn't one bit trying to cash in on being elected president:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-25/trump-hotels-to-triple-locations-in-u-s-expansion-ceo-says?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Trumps is a businessman. That's just Trump getting shit done, for himself you know.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1386 on: January 25, 2017, 01:18:08 PM »
And expand Trump's business empire even though he totally isn't one bit trying to cash in on being elected president:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-25/trump-hotels-to-triple-locations-in-u-s-expansion-ceo-says?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Trumps is a businessman. That's just Trump getting shit done, for himself you know.

Indeed. I suppose we should be glad that he's keeping his focus domestic thus far. Wouldn't want to run afoul of the emoluments clause, at least not until doublethink has fully permeated the voting base.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1387 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
Apparently there has already been one case of 'voter fraud' discovered - Steve Bannon

Bannon, whose registration lists a rented apartment in Manhattan as his address, cast his ballot for Trump in New York, according to a source familiar with his arrangements, who was not authorized to speak to the media.

Bannon, however, also remains registered to vote in Florida, according to state records. His registration lists as his address the home of Andy Badolato, a friend of Bannon’s who has worked on some of his political documentary films and written for Breitbart News, the far-right website that Bannon controlled before entering the White House as chief strategist and senior counselor to the president.

His registration in Florida was moved to Badolato’s home shortly after the publication of the Guardian report in August. Bannon has not cast a ballot in Florida, according to state records. Badolato, who was also registered to vote at the home with his adult sons, declined at the time to answer questions on whether Bannon actually lived at the property, which is required under the registration rules of the Florida division of elections.

In a pair of tweets early on Wednesday morning, Trump said that arrangements such as Bannon’s were unacceptable as he appeared to threaten a crackdown on access to the ballot box.

“I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states...

Like many other crazy aspects of this conspiracy theory, Trump assumes that everyone registered in two states committed fraud AND voted that extra time for Hillary...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1388 on: January 25, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
Apparently there has already been one case of 'voter fraud' discovered - Steve Bannon

Bannon, whose registration lists a rented apartment in Manhattan as his address, cast his ballot for Trump in New York, according to a source familiar with his arrangements, who was not authorized to speak to the media.

Bannon, however, also remains registered to vote in Florida, according to state records. His registration lists as his address the home of Andy Badolato, a friend of Bannon’s who has worked on some of his political documentary films and written for Breitbart News, the far-right website that Bannon controlled before entering the White House as chief strategist and senior counselor to the president.

His registration in Florida was moved to Badolato’s home shortly after the publication of the Guardian report in August. Bannon has not cast a ballot in Florida, according to state records. Badolato, who was also registered to vote at the home with his adult sons, declined at the time to answer questions on whether Bannon actually lived at the property, which is required under the registration rules of the Florida division of elections.

In a pair of tweets early on Wednesday morning, Trump said that arrangements such as Bannon’s were unacceptable as he appeared to threaten a crackdown on access to the ballot box.

“I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states...

Like many other crazy aspects of this conspiracy theory, Trump assumes that everyone registered in two states committed fraud AND voted that extra time for Hillary...

I wonder if that's true of Tiffany?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/316146-tiffany-trump-is-registered-to-vote-in-two-states-report

I'm guessing Bannon definitely used his two votes for Trump, out of self-interest anyway.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/01/25/report-steve-bannon-registered-vote-2-states-amid-trumps-voter-fraud-complaints

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1389 on: January 25, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
Looks like Trump is kinda leaving Georgia and Florida swinging in the wake of these tornadoes.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/im-begging-fema-for-boots-on-the-ground-donald-trump-leaves-gop-leaders-begging-for-aid-after-deadly-storms-in-the-south/

In other news, a conservative opposition group led by Evan McMullin is rising:

https://standuprepublic.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGk3Q2znF5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18i6uS536c

EDIT: Seriously, Mnuchin too?!

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/25/1625143/-Trump-s-Voter-Fraud-Tiffany-Trump-Bannon-Mnuchin-all-Registered-to-Vote-in-Two-States?detail=facebook

Good lord, people. The irony is pretty freaking rich here. Too bad Trump voters will just excuse this, like they excuse everything else.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:03:48 PM by Kris »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: January 25, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »
Looks like Trump is kinda leaving Georgia and Florida swinging in the wake of these tornadoes.
Sounds like they need to get those bootstraps out.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1391 on: January 25, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/AP/status/824374557893083146

AP reports - Trump administration to require all EPA scientific studies be run by political staff before being published. Weeeeeee!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1392 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/AP/status/824374557893083146

AP reports - Trump administration to require all EPA scientific studies be run by political staff before being published. Weeeeeee!

Gotta make sure to take the REAL facts out and put those alternative ones in.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1393 on: January 25, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »

Trump ain't got time for weather disasters. He's busy getting shit done for the po white folk. Buildi'n walls and stuff.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1394 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
On the bright side, the market is up. :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1395 on: January 25, 2017, 08:24:39 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/im-begging-fema-for-boots-on-the-ground-donald-trump-leaves-gop-leaders-begging-for-aid-after-deadly-storms-in-the-south/

In other news, a conservative opposition group led by Evan McMullin is rising:

https://standuprepublic.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGk3Q2znF5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18i6uS536c

EDIT: Seriously, Mnuchin too?!

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/25/1625143/-Trump-s-Voter-Fraud-Tiffany-Trump-Bannon-Mnuchin-all-Registered-to-Vote-in-Two-States?detail=facebook

Good lord, people. The irony is pretty freaking rich here. Too bad Trump voters will just excuse this, like they excuse everything else.
Umm... the studies show voter fraud is a non issue, despite what Trump would have you believe. Though I'm sure Trump haters will ignore these studies.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1396 on: January 25, 2017, 08:26:01 PM »
On the bright side, the market is up. :)
I'll take the good with the bad!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1397 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:53 PM »
I realize that the conversation has moved on from this by now, but I wanted to add something because it relates so perfectly to something I was reading just last night.

Correct, if I thought sex was purely for procreation. But I don't. I think it's primary purpose is procreation.

This quote is thoroughly wrong but illustrates nicely what I just learned in the book The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond, author of Collapse and Guns, Germs, and Steel (you may have heard of him; MacArthur Fellow, awarded National Medal of Science, professor, etc.).

From the chapter titled "The Evolution of Human Sexuality"

Whatever the main biological function of human copulation, it isn't conception, which is just an occasional by-product. ... In no species besides humans has the purpose of copulation become so unrelated to conception, or the rhythm method so unsuited for contraception."

Most mammals are sexually inactive most of the time. They copulate only when the female is in estrus - i.e., when she is ovulating and capable of being fertilized. Female mammals apparently "know" when they are ovulating, for they solicit copulation then by presenting their genitals towards males. Lest a male miss the point, many female primates go further: the area around the vagina, plus in some species the buttocks and breasts, swells up an turns red, pink, or blue....

Human sexual cycles are quite different. The human female maintains her sexual receptivity more or less constantly, instead of having it sharply confined to a short estrus phase. Indeed, despite numerous studies aimed at settling whether a woman's receptivity varies at all through her cycle, there is still no agreement about the answer - nor about the cycle phase when receptivity is maximal if it does vary.

Our concealed ovulation, constant receptivity, and brief fertile period in each menstrual cycle ensure that most copulation by humans are at the wrong time for conception.

Summary: if the main purpose of human copulation were indeed reproduction, we would only mate when the female is fertile and it would be damn obvious to both females and males when that fertile window is. As someone who has purposefully studied my cycle in order to become pregnant, I can tell you that I can only now, after 5 years, be certain when I have ovulated, and that is often with the aid of tools such as ovulation predictor kits. Furthermore, from a purely biological point of view, copulation comes at a price, both in time and energy spent having sex rather than looking for food, making yourself distracted and vulnerable to predators, and for the male, making and ejecting sperm also takes energy. In most other animals whose sole purpose is procreation, all of this energy expenditure is carefully regulated to get the most bang for the buck, so to speak. We humans are clear outliers in this trend because we do not mate primarily for reproductive purposes.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1398 on: January 25, 2017, 08:33:10 PM »
Not even through his first week as the leader of the free world, a Nation that once was a shining beacon of hope, and our President is being trolled on Twitter by the former Mexican president.  Let's hope Trump can hold his thumbs back for a day or two, although the opposition to all of his 'progress' is really starting to pile on at this point.  Environmentalists, fact checking media, big city mayors, Seth Meyers... 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1399 on: January 25, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »
although the opposition to all of his 'progress' is really starting to pile on at this point.  Environmentalists, fact checking media, big city mayors, Seth Meyers...

and the national parks service! Let's not forget them. It must be really bad when the gentle, smiling people in big hats and green and khaki uniforms are trolling you on twitter.
#AltUSNatParkService