Author Topic: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?  (Read 497946 times)

Indio

• Bristles
Re: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?
« Reply #1150 on: January 21, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »
Did anyone see this petition that started yesterday right after oath to force him to release his tax returns?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

Not sure there are laws that can force him to do this.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1151 on: January 21, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »
Today Trump has apparently banned all Department of Interior agencies from using Twitter anymore.

I'm not even sure what to say to that.
Did he think they were stealing his limelight? I can't say that I've ever read a tweet from any Dept. Of Interior agency, so I guess I am personally unaffected.

They tweeted a picture of the crowd at his inauguration, next to a pic of the crowd at Obama's.

And Trump's fee-fees got hurt.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
Today Trump has apparently banned all Department of Interior agencies from using Twitter anymore.

I'm not even sure what to say to that.

This is called disciplinary action.  Here is the news story.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/20/interior-department-banned-from-twitter-after-retweet-of-smaller-than-usual-trump-inauguration-crowd/?utm_term=.b7cb78052886

Not to mention that the inaugural crowds were getting blocked by Black Lives Matter and other protesters who were holding up attendees and shutting down entrances to the events. Bah.

If the department is misbehaving, then I am all for discipline until they get their roles understood.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1153 on: January 21, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
Wow, BLM is impressive if they can block hundreds of thousands of people from DC...

Look, he's the least popular incoming president in modern American history. There is no way around that. He might do great, he might not, but there is no reason to get upset that very few people (relatively speaking) are excited about him or his inauguration.

-W

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1154 on: January 21, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
From the number of buses, the women's march looks like it'll be much bigger as well.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1155 on: January 21, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
I can't say that I've ever read a tweet from any Dept. Of Interior agency, so I guess I am personally unaffected.

Around here, NPS uses Twitter to announce all of the road closures to the parks, usually due to snow conditions.  They are now going to use Facebook instead, which is apparently still allowed.

This is called disciplinary action. 

I think it's punitive action, and poor leadership.  Social media accounts are run by people, who can make mistakes and be disciplined or fired.  But to shut down an entire communications service for nine entire agencies because you're afraid of pictures retweeted by one communications person at one facility in one agency?  That just seems petty and small minded.

In comparison to some of the things Trump has retweeted over the past year, I think the park service retweeting inauguration photos that took place in one of their parks is pretty harmless.  Our new Pres is a little thin skinned, though, so I expect every perceived slight to be met with punitive action for as long as he is in office.

He's a bully.  There was a correct way to deal with this situation, and this definitely wasn't it.  This is not inspiring confidence in his leadership abilities.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:05:49 AM by sol »

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1156 on: January 21, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
In less than 30 minutes both the White House Climate Change webpage and Department of Labor’s report on Advancing LGBT Workplace Rights has been taken down.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change

sigh.....tons of pages were taken down. That is what happens you re-design webpages after a change in power.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1157 on: January 21, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
I can't say that I've ever read a tweet from any Dept. Of Interior agency, so I guess I am personally unaffected.

Around here, NPS uses Twitter to announce all of the road closures to the parks, usually due to snow conditions.  They are now going to use Facebook instead, which is apparently still allowed.

This is called disciplinary action. 

I think it's punitive action, and poor leadership.  Social media accounts are run by people, who can make mistakes and be disciplined or fired.  But to shut down an entire communications service for nine entire agencies because you're afraid of pictures retweeted by one communications person at one facility in one agency?  That just seems petty and small minded.

In comparison to some of the things Trump has retweeted over the past year, I think the park service retweeting inauguration photos that took place in one of their parks is pretty harmless.  Our new Pres is a little thin skinned, though, so I expect every perceived slight to be met with punitive action for as long as he is in office.

He's a bully.  There was a correct way to deal with this situation, and this definitely wasn't it.  This is not inspiring confidence in his leadership abilities.

lol.   Maybe he can have a beer summit.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1158 on: January 21, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
lol.   Maybe he can have a beer summit.

DJT does not drink alcoholic beverages.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »

This is not inspiring confidence in his leadership abilities.

All the National Parks have their own dedicated Web sites for tourist and travel information.  This should not affect the public in a dramatic way, and I do not expect that the Twitter access will be cut for long,  at least for essential communication.

It is one thing if the parks are asked to give information to the media but another thing for the department to make comments about the new President, on day one!  If the department wants to initiate game-playing with the Executive, they should be disciplined!!!  It is small minded to post garbage about the President.  I am confident in Trump and he's not going to let any underlings pull any shit and get away with it.  T

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1160 on: January 21, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

Thought I'd make my own.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1161 on: January 21, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
In less than 30 minutes both the White House Climate Change webpage and Department of Labor’s report on Advancing LGBT Workplace Rights has been taken down.

sigh.....tons of pages were taken down. That is what happens you re-design webpages after a change in power.
Thank you for the update. It's amazing how these claims can float around until someone refutes them.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1162 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »

All the National Parks have their own dedicated Web sites for tourist and travel information.  This should not affect the public in a dramatic way, and I do not expect that the Twitter access will be cut for long,  at least for essential communication.

It is one thing if the parks are asked to give information to the media but another thing for the department to make comments about the new President, on day one!  If the department wants to initiate game-playing with the Executive, they should be disciplined!!!  It is small minded to post garbage about the President.  I am confident in Trump and he's not going to let any underlings pull any shit and get away with it.  T
Intersting perspective.  Im not sure if I'm impressed that even small, petty, unprofessional acts will be handled quickly and sternly, or worried that everyone will be too afraid of the POTUS to act at all. There's definitely a fine line there, and I'm sure there will be acts that fall on both sides of it. President is a tough job after all.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1163 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »

Already back up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/20/interior-department-banned-from-twitter-after-retweet-of-smaller-than-usual-trump-inauguration-crowd/?utm_term=.fb137cc938d1

What exactly are you confident in Trump for?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1164 on: January 21, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »

Already back up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/20/interior-department-banned-from-twitter-after-retweet-of-smaller-than-usual-trump-inauguration-crowd/?utm_term=.fb137cc938d1

What exactly are you confident in Trump for?
Interesting. The article claims the shutdown was both directed by the new administration and by the departments communication team for probably being against policy. Not very enlightening, but if it's back up it would seem to be internal to the department and not Trump jumping down their throats. Unclear from the source though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:13:21 PM by Metric Mouse »

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1165 on: January 21, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »

"Sound energy policy begins with the recognition that we have vast untapped domestic energy reserves right here in America. The Trump Administration will embrace the shale oil and gas revolution to bring jobs and prosperity to millions of Americans. We must take advantage of the estimated $50 trillion in untapped shale, oil, and natural gas reserves, especially those on federal lands that the American people own. We will use the revenues from energy production to rebuild our roads, schools, bridges and public infrastructure. Less expensive energy will be a big boost to American agriculture, as well."

THis on the new White House website.

so it begins, we're all screwed.

I am pretty scared about many of the predictions for our future under Trump, but am aware that much legislation can be redone over time and the people will heal. I read the full Republican Party Platform and asked anybody thinking of voting for Trump/Pence to read it before voting. The Platform was loaded with extreme Right Wing Tea Party ideas that I know most Republicans do not agree with.  Using federal land for mining was in the platform, which sounded crazy at the time. I think 90% of Americans agree that using Federal Lands for any type of mining is not in the best interest of the country. I can't even believe we are going to have to defend America's greatest treasures. It's a complete disaster! Mining the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosmite......... Tears!!!!!!! Many, many tears! Mining cannot be undone. There is just so much to protest.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1166 on: January 21, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »

"Sound energy policy begins with the recognition that we have vast untapped domestic energy reserves right here in America. The Trump Administration will embrace the shale oil and gas revolution to bring jobs and prosperity to millions of Americans. We must take advantage of the estimated $50 trillion in untapped shale, oil, and natural gas reserves, especially those on federal lands that the American people own. We will use the revenues from energy production to rebuild our roads, schools, bridges and public infrastructure. Less expensive energy will be a big boost to American agriculture, as well."

I am pretty scared about many of the predictions for our future under Trump, but am aware that much legislation can be redone over time and the people will heal. I read the full Republican Party Platform and asked anybody thinking of voting for Trump/Pence to read it before voting. The Platform was loaded with extreme Right Wing Tea Party ideas that I know most Republicans do not agree with.  Using federal land for mining was in the platform, which sounded crazy at the time. I think 90% of Americans agree that using Federal Lands for any type of mining is not in the best interest of the country. I can't even believe we are going to have to defend America's greatest treasures. It's a complete disaster! Mining the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosmite......... Tears!!!!!!! Many, many tears! Mining cannot be undone. There is just so much to protest.

Do you even have any idea how much federal land is leased for mining purposes currently? I mean, this is not new, or strange or nearly as disastrous as you are implying.

adamb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1167 on: January 21, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
How'd that work out for agw? Still happening? Still getting worse every day? Still no real plans to head off the worst of the effects? Let me know when that changes.

I mean, if people want to think that driving an electric car made from precious metals mined halfway around the world and formed from processed  petroleum products or that eating more vegetables is going to save lives or mitigate the effects of climate change for the poorest people on the planet, they are welcome to. They are wrong, but welcome to think whatever they want. If they are doing it to feel better about themselves while effecting zero real change, that's cool too: just be informed and honest about it.

I see the current president is not the only one skilled in gas-lighting.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1168 on: January 21, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
How'd that work out for agw? Still happening? Still getting worse every day? Still no real plans to head off the worst of the effects? Let me know when that changes.

I mean, if people want to think that driving an electric car made from precious metals mined halfway around the world and formed from processed  petroleum products or that eating more vegetables is going to save lives or mitigate the effects of climate change for the poorest people on the planet, they are welcome to. They are wrong, but welcome to think whatever they want. If they are doing it to feel better about themselves while effecting zero real change, that's cool too: just be informed and honest about it.

Do you have data that contradicts the currently understood  effects of global warming? If you do, I would love to see it.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1169 on: January 21, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »

Do you have data that contradicts the currently understood  effects of global warming? If you do, I would love to see it.

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1170 on: January 21, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »

Well there is this...
Early research indicates that tea growing regions could decline in some parts of the world by up to 40-55 percent in the coming decades and the qualities, particularly for high end teas, could also change.

Early research indicates that tea growing regions could decline in some parts of the world by up to 40-55 percent in the coming decades and the qualities, particularly for high end teas, could also change.

...perhaps I am not supposed to be so literal?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1171 on: January 21, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »

Well there is this...

...perhaps I am not supposed to be so literal?

Yeah, but Metric Mouse was suggesting...eh, nm. Trying to follow the quotes is too confusing.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1172 on: January 21, 2017, 04:32:58 PM »
Sorry, i couldn't resist taking that cliche to it's literal conclusion :-)
Apologies for the derailment.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1173 on: January 21, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
The lies are getting even sillier by the day:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-accuses-media-of-lying-about-inauguration-crowds/ar-AAm5Zn0?li=BBnb7Kz

And msn leans right. The best excuse I saw in the comments was "lots of people had to work!"

SAD! ;p

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1174 on: January 21, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
Isn't this just the same thing he did all through the campaign?

OF COURSE he says the media is lying.  We should all just get used to listening to Trump speak with the clear understanding that he's saying what he wants to be true, not what is actually true. 

And there will be more punitive action, of course.  He's already saying that news outlets that posted any pictures of the inauguration crowd will pay a "big price" for their "dishonesty".  Is this how the erosion of the free press starts?  With retribution for posting photographs of things that actually happened?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:12:45 PM by sol »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1175 on: January 21, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »
Well, back to answer the OP topic...

The President has already signed an executive order to start fucking up the ACA. Sorry for those that thought things were going to be better and cheaper or more affordable or whatever he said, and thought that he wouldn't be the one to undermine the law, but it's going to happen, people will lose insurance, and they only plan, if you can call it that, is to make income tax lower.

Also, at least people got out to march today. Too bad they didn't get out to vote.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1176 on: January 21, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
Also, at least people got out to march today. Too bad they didn't get out to vote.

Ah, they just live in the wrong states.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1177 on: January 21, 2017, 05:39:03 PM »
Sorry, i couldn't resist taking that cliche to it's literal conclusion :-)
Apologies for the derailment.
Touche...

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1178 on: January 21, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »

OF COURSE he says the media is lying.  We should all just get used to listening to Trump speak with the clear understanding that he's saying what he wants to be true, not what is actually true. 

And there will be more punitive action, of course.  He's already saying that news outlets that posted any pictures of the inauguration crowd will pay a "big price" for their "dishonesty".  Is this how the erosion of the free press starts?  With retribution for posting photographs of things that actually happened?

Obviously no one here (who dislikes Trump anyway) is surprised. I just keep hammering away because I have this crazy idea that at least a few people who keep mindlessly defending him will finally admit (to themselves if not to us) that just maybe he has one or two itty bitty flaws that might be a teeny tiny bit concerning.

Many prominent conservatives agree with me. To wit, per CNN (in b4 someone calls CNN fake news!), Bill Kristol on the travesty of a press briefing following Trump's claims:

Conservative commentator Bill Kristol said "it is embarrassing, as an American, to watch this briefing by Sean Spicer from the podium at the White House. Not the RNC. The White House."

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:17:16 PM by Lagom »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1179 on: January 21, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
Well, back to answer the OP topic...

The President has already signed an executive order to start fucking up the ACA. Sorry for those that thought things were going to be better and cheaper or more affordable or whatever he said, and thought that he wouldn't be the one to undermine the law, but it's going to happen, people will lose insurance, and they only plan, if you can call it that, is to make income tax lower.

Well, there is one campaign promise kept, i guess.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1180 on: January 21, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »

Obviously no one here (who dislikes Trump anyway) is surprised. I just keep hammering away because I have this crazy idea that at least a few people who keep mindlessly defending him will finally admit (to themselves if not to us) that just maybe he has one or two itty bitty flaws that might be a teeny tiny bit concerning.

Many prominent conservatives agree with me. To wit, per CNN (in b4 someone calls CNN fake news!), Bill Kristol on the travesty of a press briefing following Trump's claims:

Conservative commentator Bill Kristol said "it is embarrassing, as an American, to watch this briefing by Sean Spicer from the podium at the White House. Not the RNC. The White House."

It's getting downright surreal. Wow.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1181 on: January 22, 2017, 01:58:01 AM »
But but but - Trump promised to repeal and replace simultaneously, didn't he?  So now he's signing something to do with repeal without signing something about replacement?  Without even a plan or statement about replacement?  How is that keeping a promise?

Trump has just proved his batshitcrazy levels while in office as President by trying to argue over photographs of the attendance levels at his inauguration.

Ye gods and little fishes.  The man is utterly, irredeemably, bat shit crazy.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1182 on: January 22, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »

Why does anyone care what conservative commentators say. Trump is not a republican or democrat. He is pissing off everyone. Which is why he won. I hope he blows up the entire system.  I love the fact he called all of them out for doing nothing for decades. Good for him.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1183 on: January 22, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »
But but but - Trump promised to repeal and replace simultaneously, didn't he?  So now he's signing something to do with repeal without signing something about replacement?  Without even a plan or statement about replacement?  How is that keeping a promise?

Trump has just proved his batshitcrazy levels while in office as President by trying to argue over photographs of the attendance levels at his inauguration.

Ye gods and little fishes.  The man is utterly, irredeemably, bat shit crazy.

No he is not.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1184 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »

Do you even have any idea how much federal land is leased for mining purposes currently? I mean, this is not new, or strange or nearly as disastrous as you are implying.

A lot of federal lands are open to mining, but a lot of land is not, see below.  I don't think Trump will try to open up National Monuments or Parks to mining and drilling, but there is a lot of currently protected land that could be in danger.  The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, as well as many other areas.   

• Most Bureau of Reclamation Lands
• Most Conservation Areas
• Land Otherwise Withdrawn from Public Access Such as Endangered Species Habitat
• Military Reservations
• National Monuments
• National Parks
• Some National Recreation Areas if Administered by the Park Service
• Most National Wildlife Refuges
• Wild and Scenic Rivers Within 1/4 Mile of the Bank on Each Side of River
• Wilderness

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1185 on: January 22, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Seems to me like drilling in our national parks and monuments and on military reservations is a really bad thing to do (not to mention lots of other places).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:47 AM »
Seems to me like drilling in our national parks and monuments and on military reservations is a really bad thing to do (not to mention lots of other places).
There are certainly pros and cons to it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1187 on: January 22, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
"No he is not"?  That's all you've got?

Let's look at the evidence.  He is on film, in his first speech after his inauguration, saying -

"I was explaining about the numbers.  We did a thing yesterday, the speech - did everybody like the speech? You had to like it, so I've been given good reviews - but, but we had a massive field of people, you saw them.  Packed.  I get up this morning, I turn on one of the networks, and they show an empty field.  I said "wait a minute".  I made a speech.  I looked out. The field was - it looked like a million, a million and a half people.  They showed a field where there were practically nobody standing there.  And they said "Donald Trump did not draw well".  I said "It was almost raining.  The rain should have scared them away but God looked down and he said "we're not going to let it rain on your speech."" Fact is.  When I first started, "oh no", the first line, I got hit by a couple of drops, and I said "oh, this is too bad but we'll go right through it".  But the truth is that it stopped immediately, it was amazing, and then it became really sunny and then I walked off and it poured right after I left.  It poured but, you know, we have something that's amazing because we had, it looked, honestly, like a million and a half people, whatever it was, it was, but it went all the way back to the Washington Monument.  And I turn on the thing and by mistake I get this network and it showed an empty field.  And it said we drew 250,000 people.  Now that's not bad.  But it's a lie.  We had 250,000 people literally around you know in the little bowl that we constructed, that was 250,000 people.  The rest of the you know 20 block area all the way back to the Washington Monument was packed.  So we caught them, and we caught them in a beauty, and I think they're going to pay a big price."

Those are the words of a man who is so narciscistic that the preservation of his own ego is more important than the truth, and more important than his role as President of the United States.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1188 on: January 22, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
"No he is not"?  That's all you've got?

Let's look at the evidence.  He is on film, in his first speech after his inauguration, saying -

"I was explaining about the numbers.  We did a thing yesterday, the speech - did everybody like the speech? You had to like it, so I've been given good reviews - but, but we had a massive field of people, you saw them.  Packed.  I get up this morning, I turn on one of the networks, and they show an empty field.  I said "wait a minute".  I made a speech.  I looked out. The field was - it looked like a million, a million and a half people.  They showed a field where there were practically nobody standing there.  And they said "Donald Trump did not draw well".  I said "It was almost raining.  The rain should have scared them away but God looked down and he said "we're not going to let it rain on your speech."" Fact is.  When I first started, "oh no", the first line, I got hit by a couple of drops, and I said "oh, this is too bad but we'll go right through it".  But the truth is that it stopped immediately, it was amazing, and then it became really sunny and then I walked off and it poured right after I left.  It poured but, you know, we have something that's amazing because we had, it looked, honestly, like a million and a half people, whatever it was, it was, but it went all the way back to the Washington Monument.  And I turn on the thing and by mistake I get this network and it showed an empty field.  And it said we drew 250,000 people.  Now that's not bad.  But it's a lie.  We had 250,000 people literally around you know in the little bowl that we constructed, that was 250,000 people.  The rest of the you know 20 block area all the way back to the Washington Monument was packed.  So we caught them, and we caught them in a beauty, and I think they're going to pay a big price."

Those are the words of a man who is so narciscistic that the preservation of his own ego is more important than the truth, and more important than his role as President of the United States.

People that are crazy don't accomplish what he has done. I guess I have different definitions of crazy.  Most crazy people can't accomplish the daily tasks of basic living like cleaning themselves, washing clothes or cooking a meal.  What is your definition of crazy.

This is simply a bunch of butthurt from liberals who thought they had this election wrapped up and the "republican party was dead." 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1189 on: January 22, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
People who are born to millionaires (would be billionaires in today's dollars) can be pretty crazy and still do well.

Note that I don't think Trump is crazy. He is very rational. He has gotten where he is by ignoring the truth completely whenever it suits him and people have eaten it up. I'd be doing the same thing in his shoes - straight out of the Hugo Chavez (or Peron) playbook.

It works as long as things go your way, and since he's been handed a pretty solid economy, my guess is he'll do allright for a few years.

-W

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1190 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
packlawyer04, another low post count individual coming in not to actually engage but only to tell us that if we dislike Trump we are a obviously nothing but butthurt liberals. Lies don't matter. Misogyny doesn't matter. Corruption doesn't matter. Only winning matters.

Move along, folks, nothing more to see here.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1191 on: January 22, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
People who are born to millionaires (would be billionaires in today's dollars) can be pretty crazy and still do well.

Note that I don't think Trump is crazy. He is very rational. He has gotten where he is by ignoring the truth completely whenever it suits him and people have eaten it up. I'd be doing the same thing in his shoes - straight out of the Hugo Chavez (or Peron) playbook.

It works as long as things go your way, and since he's been handed a pretty solid economy, my guess is he'll do allright for a few years.

-W

From a die hard liberal. I'm amazed that some of you are still just about Tump. You have much bigger problems than Trump:

The ongoing contest between the Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders wings of the Democratic Party continues to divide Democrats. It’s urgent Democrats stop squabbling and recognize seven basic truths:

The Party is on life support. Democrats are in the minority in both the House and Senate, with no end in sight. Since the start of the Obama Administration they’ve lost 1,034 state and federal seats. They hold only governorships, and face 32 state legislatures fully under GOP control. No one speaks for the party as a whole. The Party’s top leaders are aging, and the back bench is thin.

The future is bleak unless the Party radically reforms itself. If Republicans do well in the 2018 midterms, they’ll control Congress and the Supreme Court for years. If they continue to hold most statehouses, they could entrench themselves for a generation.

We are now in a populist era. The strongest and most powerful force in American politics is a rejection of the status quo, a repudiation of politics as usual, and a deep and profound distrust of elites, including the current power structure of America.

That force propelled Donald Trump into the White House. He represents the authoritarian side of populism. Bernie Sanders’s primary campaign represented the progressive side.

The question hovering over America’s future is which form of populism will ultimately prevail. At some point, hopefully, Trump voters will discover they’ve been hoodwinked. Even in its purist form, authoritarian populism doesn’t work because it destroys democracy. Democrats must offer the alternative.

The economy is not working for most Americans. The economic data show lower unemployment and higher wages than eight years ago, but the typical family is still poorer today than it was in 2000, adjusted for inflation; median weekly earning are no higher than in 2000; a large number of working-age people – mostly men – have dropped out of the labor force altogether; and job insecurity is endemic.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/01/22/seven_truths_for_democrats_132868.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:04:06 AM by packlawyer04 »

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1192 on: January 22, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »
Actually median income hasn't increased since the mid 1970s, so it's even worse than that. But yes, agreed with all of that. Nobody has yet offered a realistic solution to the stagnation of the middle class (either here in the US or in Europe). And nothing that anyone has tried has made an impact, from the progressive or conservative side.

Time for a UBI, I think.

-W

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1193 on: January 22, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
FYI:

There's a petition on the White House website for DJT to release his tax returns.  While it's already garnered the requisite number of signatures for an official response, Kellyanne Conway had this to say yesterday:

The White House response is that he’s not going to release his tax returns,” said Kellyanne Conway, counselor to the president, during an appearance on ABC’S This Week with George Stephanopoulos. “We litigated this all through the election. People didn’t care.”

If you care, sign the petition.  The more that sign the more ridiculous the administration's line that the public doesn't care becomes.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1194 on: January 22, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
Actually median income hasn't increased since the mid 1970s, so it's even worse than that. But yes, agreed with all of that. Nobody has yet offered a realistic solution to the stagnation of the middle class (either here in the US or in Europe). And nothing that anyone has tried has made an impact, from the progressive or conservative side.

Time for a UBI, I think.

-W

I agree with everything you say. And frankly, I don't know if Trump really has any plan to fix it at this point. But Trump is the first person running for president quite some time that has actually talked about it. Which is why he is now living in the white house.

People keep saying the economy is great but the election proves the country does not actually agree.  Might work for some people but many are being left behind.

Democrats would be well served to actually go back and develop policies that help the middle class versus trying to show up at BLM rallies and figuring out a way to get as many immigrants across the border as possible.  They have moved so far off track that they lost their core base which is why they have basically been destroyed from the white house all the way down to the county level across the country in the last 6 years.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1195 on: January 22, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »

Note that Trump did not and cannot repeal the ACA. What his executive order did is to direct the agencies to give the widest possible interpretation of the law. E.g. more people are expected not to pay the penalty for not having insurance since there will be a wider definition of hardship.

An act of Congress is required to repeal the ACA.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1196 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
FYI:

There's a petition on the White House website for DJT to release his tax returns.  While it's already garnered the requisite number of signatures for an official response, Kellyanne Conway had this to say yesterday:

The White House response is that he’s not going to release his tax returns,” said Kellyanne Conway, counselor to the president, during an appearance on ABC’S This Week with George Stephanopoulos. “We litigated this all through the election. People didn’t care.”

If you care, sign the petition.  The more that sign the more ridiculous the administration's line that the public doesn't care becomes.

Meh. I for one, don't care. Unless he's filing checks directly from Putin, and at that point I would hope that the IRS would have caught something that massively improper. There are clearly much larger problems with Trump than his income streams, imo.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1197 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
I have to (throwing up a little in my mouth) agree with Ms. Conway here. Nobody cares. I guess I would be vaguely interested, but what in his tax returns would possible convince anyone of anything at this point? He's already openly lied about all sorts of things, bragged about grabbing genitals, been an adulterer (probably many times), and almost managed to lose his shirt in business despite being born a multimillionaire in 1950's dollars.

None of that is disqualifying to be president, apparently, so why worry about tax returns? If you really dislike him, go recruit that great charismatic member of the school board to run for city council, or that city councilor you like to run for state senate, etc. Political change happens from the local level up.

-W

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1198 on: January 22, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »
packlawyer04, another low post count individual coming in not to actually engage but only to tell us that if we dislike Trump we are a obviously nothing but butthurt liberals. Lies don't matter. Misogyny doesn't matter. Corruption doesn't matter. Only winning matters.

Move along, folks, nothing more to see here.

True. I often wonder how many of the new trolls are just new iterations of previous trolls.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1199 on: January 22, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
We are now in a populist era. The strongest and most powerful force in American politics is a rejection of the status quo, a repudiation of politics as usual, and a deep and profound distrust of elites, including the current power structure of America.

If you really believe the things you're typing (that we live in a populist era), then you should believe that the strongest and most powerful force in American politics is an acceptance of the status quo.  Hillary Clinton got more votes than Trump, which is a repudiation and indication of a deep/profound distrust of crazy politics by elites like Trump.  That she didn't win is simply an example of how the system currently is set up to ignore popular will.