Author Topic: What are Donald Trump's Real Motives in Running for President?  (Read 103502 times)

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
What are Donald Trump's Real Motives in Running for President?
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
Claiming that the sitting president of the United States is not american when he demonstrably is: racist.

Pointing out that the Republican Party is whiter, older, and more male than the general electorate: not racist.

Challenging McCain's qualifications to run for president in 2008 because he was born in Panama, racist.

Challenging Ted Cruz's qualifications to run for president today because he was born in Canada, racist.

A couple of (obvious) differences here.  Let me help you work through your false equivalence.
1.  Mccain was born in Panama.
2.  Cruz was born in Canada.

Yes, that was my point.

3.  There is no birther movement denying that either Cruz or McCain is American, (or that they are muslim, or Kenyan, or Panamanian, or Canadian.)

Yes, there is.  And they are just as crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/us/politics/11mccain.html?_r=0

Granted, Don Trump changes his political party almost as often as he changes his toupee.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/politics/ted-cruz-eligibility-2016-elections/

Did you even read the article you linked?

It's as if you don't understand what evidence means.

You included an article about one person who claimed that McCain was ineligible for president.

This ignored  the fact that

1. unlike McCain and Cruz, Barack Obama was born in the United States.

2. There is no counter factual liberal birther movement claiming that either Cruz or McCain was born anywhere other than they were actually born.

I am seriously wondering if it it is worthwhile to have such a nonsensical discussion so divorced from the rules of logic.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:26:01 PM by milesdividendmd »

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
Re: What are Donald Trump's Real Motives in Running for President?
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
Claiming that the sitting president of the United States is not american when he demonstrably is: racist.

Pointing out that the Republican Party is whiter, older, and more male than the general electorate: not racist.

Challenging McCain's qualifications to run for president in 2008 because he was born in Panama, racist.

Challenging Ted Cruz's qualifications to run for president today because he was born in Canada, racist.

A couple of (obvious) differences here.  Let me help you work through your false equivalence.

Yes, that was my point.

3.  There is no birther movement denying that either Cruz or McCain is American, (or that they are muslim, or Kenyan, or Panamanian, or Canadian.)

Granted, Don Trump changes his political party almost as often as he changes his toupee.

You included an article about one person who claimed that McCain was ineligible for president.

2. There is no counter factual liberal birther movement claiming that either Cruz or McCain was born anywhere other than they were actually born.

I am seriously wondering if it it is worthwhile to have such a nonsensical discussion to divorced from the rules of logic.

You are deliberately misunderstanding.  You already know that I was equating liberals who question McCain's & Cruz's consititutional qualifications for the presidency to conservatives who have done the same thing in the past with Obama.  We both know that it wouldn't even matter if Obama actually was born in Kenya, because his mother was a citizen.  Pretty much everyone who pulls something along these lines do so as a political ploy, in an effort to trick the low information voters on each side of the political spectrum to listen to them blather.   Even Donald Trump isn't really stupid enough to think that half of the BS he spouts is truth, he's an entertainer.

Trying to pivot on the idea that I was making a different comparison than the one you knew I was making is dishonest.

EDIT:  Before you try to continue to pretend to misunderstand.  My original point was that politicos making silly claims about Obama's birthplace (and therefore presidential qualifications) isn't actually racist.  It's just politics.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:35:38 PM by MoonShadow »

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »

Yes, that was my point.

I am seriously wondering if it it is worthwhile to have such a nonsensical discussion to divorced from the rules of logic.

You are deliberately misunderstanding.  You already know that I was equating liberals who question McCain's & Cruz's consititutional qualifications for the presidency to conservatives who have done the same thing in the past with Obama.  We both know that it wouldn't even matter if Obama actually was born in Kenya, because his mother was a citizen.  Pretty much everyone who pulls something along these lines do so as a political ploy, in an effort to trick the low information voters on each side of the political spectrum to listen to them blather.   Even Donald Trump isn't really stupid enough to think that half of the BS he spouts is truth, he's an entertainer.

Trying to pivot on the idea that I was making a different comparison than the one you knew I was making is dishonest.

EDIT:  Before you try to continue to pretend to misunderstand.  My original point was that politicos making silly claims about Obama's birthplace (and therefore presidential qualifications) isn't actually racist.  It's just politics.

And my point (proven based on your concession) is that you are drawing a false equivalency.

One side plays politics with the facts, and the other plays politics with demonstrably false claims.

And the fact that the you concede that the Donald isn't stupid enough to believe the birther nonsense is only further proof of him cynically playing to the ignorant (and racist) base of the Republican Party,

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »
If debt is your concern then you should only vote democrats for president.

*chart omitted because so big*

As to the racist charge, feel free to look at the actual data for who votes democratic vs republican. The republican electorate is drastically older, whiter, and male-er, than the electorate at large.  That's an indisputable fact, but of course to modern conservatives facts are a left wing conspiracy.

Has been going up my entire life, regardless of who has been in power, and regardless of the fact that revenue has been going up too.  That either party claims otherwise on something that is absolutely fact (argue with your bank all you want, that's all the money you've got) is proof of my contention that both sides are the wrong choice.

Right... but of course it grows much faster under republicans, so you should make sure not to vote for them, if you honestly care about debt.

And to help you out with understanding why you are being racist:

It is a world where facts don't matter, science is without value, and tribal loyalty is paramount.

To first characterize a group negatively based on broad generalizations, and then to dismiss these negative characteristics as just the consequences of being [ethnicity], [age], or whatever, is to surrender your own argument, to step over the line from constructive engagement and into bigotry.

Either you are right because you are correct, or you aren't.  It does not matter who is arguing against you.  The entire idea that the demographics of a group making an argument is relevant to the merits of the argument is...like...the definition of racist.

The world of which I spoke was the world of modern conservatism, so unless conservatism is a race you have made a very poor argument here about my being racist.

I agree with you that modern conservatives are embarrassingly anti-science.  But libertarians are anti-environmental regulation/enforcement, so it ends up being the same thing.

So let me get this straight.  To get a proper education in this country you need to be rich (because education is too expensive for poor people).  Having gotten that education and achieved a higher level of scientific literacy, you are "embarassingly anti-science."  Are you just trolling?

Is this your understanding of how things work.  It's certainly not mine.  Obama is a great example of someone who was not rich and got a phenomenal education.

I mean, look at the demographics of both parties.  If we start giving science tests, and I'm talking hard science, physics, chemistry, biology, let's have every member of both sides do their best to describe the significance of adenosine triphosphate, your everyday average 9th grade Bio question.  If you want to argue that the Democrats are going to do better, I'll cede the point if you will get the Democrats collectively to acknowledge that there's no link between education deficits and poverty?

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here.

You can't have it both ways.  Except you can, because clearly economic status is tied to educational opportunities, and clearly many GOP voters will vote not in their best interest, but in the interests of the greater moral right.  Science tells us you'd be better off if we stole money from rich people and gave it to you.  But you know, that's morally wrong because stealing.

Again, I have no idea what you are trying to say here.  But just so you know I am both rich and white, so stealing from rich people and giving to me would not be very effective redistribution.  Also taxation and stealing are not the same thing at all.

But don't insult the intelligence of the other side just because you disagree with them.  There are brilliant thinkers on both sides, trying their best to do good work, and the constant distraction of radicals in both parties isn't something for the other side to be reveling in.

I know plenty of smart conservatives.  There's just no role for smart conservatism in the modern republican party.

For every birther in the GOP there's an asshole in the Dem camp claiming everyone in the GOP is a birther.  Wait, what did you say?

What would be awesome is if the left, the media, everyone, just didn't even acknowledge that stuff when it happened.  Which is totally what Obama did.  He just didn't say shit.  Let them sit out there and look like idiots.  It would've worked so much better if ya'all hadn't ruined it.

You're like the awkward kid that spoils the inside joke.  "Remember, because earlier, we thought they'd be all racist, and then they came out and were racist."  "Yea dude, we got it."

This is more incomprehensible nonsense.  It's like stream of conscious rambling.  One can not debate such nonsense so I wont try.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
This is more incomprehensible nonsense.  It's like stream of conscious rambling.  One can not debate such nonsense so I wont try.

Your mistake, miles, was in the trying.

This whole thread is stream of consciousness rambling.  It's just a place where people can open a door to a room full of people, shout their own asinine opinions into a megaphone, and then slam the door shut again.  It's therapy for the shouters, and suffering for everyone inside the room.

But it's also kind of fun to sit in the room for a while and listen, whether or not you want to shout along with them.  Just accept that the shouters aren't looking for discourse. They want to shout, not listen, and there is a certain sort of entertainment value in the kinds of things that people will shout into a megaphone if given the chance.  Frankly I'm amazed we haven't yet arrived at dirty limericks and "I LIKE BOOBIES!"   

Politics and abortion and race?  On an anonymous internet chat room?  And somebody was expecting reasoned discourse?  That might be the only funny joke here so far.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »

Your mistake, miles, was in the trying.

This whole thread is stream of consciousness rambling.  It's just a place where people can open a door to a room full of people, shout their own asinine opinions into a megaphone, and then slam the door shut again.  It's therapy for the shouters, and suffering for everyone inside the room.

But it's also kind of fun to sit in the room for a while and listen, whether or not you want to shout along with them.  Just accept that the shouters aren't looking for discourse. They want to shout, not listen, and there is a certain sort of entertainment value in the kinds of things that people will shout into a megaphone if given the chance.  Frankly I'm amazed we haven't yet arrived at dirty limericks and "I LIKE BOOBIES!"   

Politics and abortion and race?  On an anonymous internet chat room?  And somebody was expecting reasoned discourse?  That might be the only funny joke here so far.

Fair point.

When will I learn?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
I LIKE BOOBIES!

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »
I like both blue footed boobies and great tits. 

Glad to find fellow ornothologists here!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »

Yes, that was my point.

And my point (proven based on your concession) is that you are drawing a false equivalency.

One side plays politics with the facts, and the other plays politics with demonstrably false claims.

And the fact that the you concede that the Donald isn't stupid enough to believe the birther nonsense is only further proof of him cynically playing to the ignorant (and racist) base of the Republican Party,

I am drawing a comparison to highlight the silliness of your general attacks.  You can call it whatever you like, but it doesn't change the reality that it's just slightly different tactics for the same end.  Both sides are wingnuts who pander to the most ignorant in their political sphere.  All you are doing now is complaining that I'm not really comparing apples to apples, but a Red Delicious to a Granny Smith.  Go ahead an nitpick over style, or whatever.  It makes no matter to me, I'm not your opposition.  Ironicly, you are your own worst enemy here.  You stake out this very liberal position on just about everything I've seen so far, but you don't really grok the nuances of those issues on either side.  I'd just say that you are willfully ignorant regarding conservative arguments, but that wouldn't explain your apparent lacking in understanding the positions that you advocate for.  At least, you seem to not understand the logical end results of what you advocate for.

Furthermore, and again, I'm not a republican.  I'm simply aware.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2015, 06:13:44 AM »
I LIKE BOOBIES!

There once was a man who was meanest
he had an oddly shaped . . .

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »

Yea, I am not a Republican either.  I enjoy talking about and discussing these issues because arguing with those who don't agree with me is how I refine my understanding.

But refuse to engage and leave the room because you're uncomfortable with defending your position.  You're right and so you shouldn't have to respond, right?

It's OK, the hallmark of being open-minded is hearing others who disagree with you, throwing up your hands, denigrating their character and then leaving the room.

It's OK to question where a white person was born, that's just politics, but question where a Hawaiian was born, that's racist?  These people aren't racist or being political, they're crazy.

I think I understand your point though.  Cherry picking the facts you use to manipulate the conversation, suppressing viewpoints that disagree with you, discrediting anyone who speaks out against you by attacking them and not their arguments, that's not racist and more acceptable...

Than doing the exact same thing as a Republican.  It's OK to do it if you're a Democrat.  Got it, understand.

It's interesting to me how the cynicism each side feels for the other doesn't immediately turn into cynicism for their own sides too.  You see Republicans doing things you feel are reprehensible, and totally ignore Democrats doing the exact same thing.

If we were to meet, to sit down, have a beer, we'd get along great.  What you haven't picked up on through all of this is that it isn't that I disagree with you.  I want you to make the same arguments you've been making, but better.

You don't need to bring up the demographics of the GOP.  It's an inherently racist tactic.  Because it brings race into the conversation.  That's it, that's all there is.  You don't "win" by bringing in race and being the most racially diverse party.  That's why "I have a black friend" doesn't excuse anything.  You "win" by not bringing it up at all.  Just be right.

You don't need to bring up past administrations, all of whom have increased the debt.  You acknowledge they all increased the debt, agree that is a bad thing, maybe try to make the unmustachian argument that it's OK to do it because interest rates are low.  Bringing in bad data from biased sources...it's such a shame the Democrats have stooped to that GOP tactic.  It wasn't actually working for the GOP you just thought it was.  It's not working for you either.  Every time each side gets caught in a lie it drives us all farther away from ever trusting the political class again.

You cannot argue against the Democrats care about winning more than anything else.  If they actually cared about the issues they claim to support, we'd have sensible gun control laws, simple tax policy that included a tolerable level of redistribution, a Supreme Court that could be counted on to reliably protect a mother's right to abort her baby but prohibit prisoners from being executed.  The war on drugs would be over, every hospital would have a fully funded drug rehab wing, college would be free, and moms and dads would both get 99 weeks off when they have a kid.  Foreign aid would've been brought up to reasonable levels and targeted at our nearest neighbors, so the fact that it's a billion degree desert and Mexico is nice too would be all the border security we needed.  Social Security would have been fixed, and a plan to restore the trust fund enacted, the legislation that allowed it to be robbed repealed.  The right to privacy would be explicitly spelled out as a constitutional amendment.

Instead they've cowered in the dark, afraid to take a stand when they're in the majority because they know it will cost them the next election.  And what sucks is that it costs them the next election anyway.  They also know their only chance at staying in power is to ensure there are tons of poor people, so they will always aggressively pursue policies aimed at keeping the poor right where they are.

Obama really cared about healthcare, and so he got that one done.  All the rest of these could have been done the exact same way, a straight party line vote, but they wanted to have the issues for the midterm.

I remember hearing him speak during the Campaign.  It really was awesome.  I knew it was bullshit, I knew no major candidate would follow through on his promises, but I really did want to believe.  And to his credit I think he believed it when he said it.  One day I hope to be sitting in a retirement home next to a former politician, and maybe get a straight answer to this:

Why do you feel that the people who gave money to your campaign are owed favors and access, more so than the people who gave their vote?  The money didn't buy you that vote, we trusted you!

Particularly second-term Presidents, why do you give a flying fuck about what they'll say about you in the next election, do what you said you were going to do!

I'm glad Trump is running, there's huge issues within the GOP that they need to resolve.  The Democratic party is significantly weakened by not having a decent opponent for 12 years now.  I'd like it better if Trump was a Republican instead of a Liberal Democrat Troll, but you take the cards as they come.

It's called the conservative movement because it tends to defend the status quo.  When there's things that need to be changed you're going to want progressives to gain traction.  When there's things that are pretty awesome you're going to want the conservatives to gain traction.  Increasingly, the Democratic party is defending the status quo.  It's a strategy for staying in power long term, it is not at all in line with the arguments you've made here.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:12 AM »
I LIKE BOOBIES!

There once was a man who was meanest
he had an oddly shaped . . .

Pianist.

When he begged her to play

She...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2015, 08:57:59 AM »
Politics and abortion and race?  On an anonymous internet chat room?  And somebody was expecting reasoned discourse? 

I think we used to have that on this forum. But it's deteriorated substantially recently. Some people just word vomit their wild-eyed biases which seem to have no grounding in reality and then refuse to provide evidence or any rationale. It makes it impossible to understand their point of view beyond "well, they must just be irrational and/or trolling". One of the things I value about this forum are the people who can have great, honest, and respectful discussions, with meaningful dialogue. That's hard to find elsewhere. But I fear that some of the recent word vomit rants have driven away that kind of useful discourse. A shame.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »
It is not racist to be aware of demographic nor to be aware that ignorance of the experiences of people whose demographics are different than your own will affect if those groups will vote for you.  There is a reason the GOP has had a political action committee regarding women.  They did an study, commissioned by Crossroads GPS and American Action Network to determine that they don't connect to women.  Well that is pretty likely women you don't have (many) women in power in your group.  If your group is overwhelming white and male, you'll have issue with other voters.  That isn't racist, that's reality.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:52:04 PM by Gin1984 »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
That isn't racist, that's reality.

FTFY

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
Politics and abortion and race?  On an anonymous internet chat room?  And somebody was expecting reasoned discourse? 

I think we used to have that on this forum. But it's deteriorated substantially recently. Some people just word vomit their wild-eyed biases which seem to have no grounding in reality and then refuse to provide evidence or any rationale. It makes it impossible to understand their point of view beyond "well, they must just be irrational and/or trolling". One of the things I value about this forum are the people who can have great, honest, and respectful discussions, with meaningful dialogue. That's hard to find elsewhere. But I fear that some of the recent word vomit rants have driven away that kind of useful discourse. A shame.

As the forum grows larger, it becomes more susceptible to the pandemic breakdown of reasoned discourse that plagues most internet discussion boards, where the loudest voices drown out the most informed.  And the problem is self-reinforcing, because the harder it gets for informed opinions to stem the tide of irrational or unreasoned viewpoints, the more likely it is for valuable contributors to decide that it's no longer worth the effort.  Although I believe this forum is still a shining exception to the sorry state of affairs across most of the internet, I agree that cracks in its foundation are starting to show.  This particular echo chamber of a thread for hot button topics may not be the best litmus test for the forum's structural integrity (as Sol said, hardly anyone shows up in a room like this honestly expecting a useful exchange of ideas -- it's mostly people either shouting into the megaphone or holding their ear to the door for some licentious entertainment), but I've noticed similar issues arising in some of the more utilitarian threads created in pursuit of this forum's original core function as a venue for the crowdsourcing of our collective retirements.  Sadly, the forum is starting to buckle under the weight of participants seeking to use it as an outlet for monologue rather than a forum for dialogue.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
Uncensored free speech is almost always a good thing in my opinion.  It is far too easy to ascribe negative motives to those who simply have different perspectives.  Better to shine sunlight on sloppy thinking, rather than to try to erase it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
Oddly I agree with both Brooklyn Guy and MilesdividendMD. 

I was actually pretty impressed that with all the race baiting going on that the mods haven't been called in yet.

And now back to the original question Trumps motives.  He has actually been pretty much perpetually running since 2000 or so,  so there most be some really good rational behind that other than my daddy was rich, so am I and I'm bored ---

Anyone who wants to start a thread on why racist Democrats suck less than racist Republicans is welcome to.   I would look forward to that discussion. 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »
Oddly I agree with both Brooklyn Guy and MilesdividendMD. 

I was actually pretty impressed that with all the race baiting going on that the mods haven't been called in yet.

Well, we are in the off-topic section.  In my experience, most forums leave the off-topic section alone, and let their trolls vent there.

Anyone who wants to start a thread on why racist Democrats suck less than racist Republicans is welcome to.   I would look forward to that discussion.

That would be terrible &  fun.  Like watching two mentally handicapped adults standing on a street corner arguing, calling each other "retard!".  It might be amusing to watch for a little bit, but then you feel like an ass for enjoying it later.

Dr. Miles, care to start that one off?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
How about a thread on why racism sucks?  Would that peak your collective interest?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
How about a thread on why racism sucks?  Would that peak your collective interest?

Sure.  Particularly if you are the one defining what is racism. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »
Me thinks he protests too much.   Hey kids,  it is all fun and games here. Let's not take our selves too seriously

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
Me thinks he protests too much.   Hey kids,  it is all fun and games here. Let's not take our selves too seriously

If I am he, I've been mostly playing this entire thread. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »

If I am he, I've been mostly playing this entire thread.
Good times.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
An interesting and novel analysis of Trump's method by Scott Adams, the guy who does Dilbert...

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/126589300371/clown-genius

To be honest, this scares the hell out of me, because it has the ring of truth to it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:19 PM »
An interesting and novel analysis of Trump's method by Scott Adams, the guy who does Dilbert...

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/126589300371/clown-genius

To be honest, this scares the hell out of me, because it has the ring of truth to it.
[/quoteNice.   Thanks for that.   Love the negotiating hypnosis spin.  Love that trump is already moving  towards the midlle.   If he keeps his lead he'll be saying global warming is real,  he loves gays and be speaking fluent Spanish, while supporting tarrifs and raising the minimum wage two weeks after he slam dunks the primary.   One thing Adams failed to mention is that confidence,   plus energy sells baby.   

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »
Interesting take by Scott Adams, and a bold call to say trump will actually win the election.  I guess it wouldn't be the first time a celebrity with no governing experience at all successfully ran for office as a republican on the basis of name recognition alone.

Though usually they run for governor of California first.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:03:21 PM by sol »

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »

Interesting take by Scott Adams, and a bold call to say trump will actually win the election.  I guess it wouldn't be the first time a celebrity with no governing experience at all successfully ran for office as a republican on the basis of name recognition alone.

Sadly the gipper ran for the governor of California and won. He had governing experience.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »

And just like Reagan, Trump was a Democrat first. 

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
Polly want a cracker?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2015, 12:31:08 AM »
Polly want a cracker?

Lovely bedside manner, Doc.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2015, 01:08:07 AM »
Sadly the gipper ran for the governor of California and won. He had governing experience.

Right, but he had no governing experience when he ran for Governor of California.  Ditto for Schwarzenegger.  That's why I said they usually do it first, but I guess Trump is breaking new ground by just shooting straight for the top job in the country right out of the gate?

Two weeks ago I was sure he was a joke candidate and it was only a matter of time before he flamed out in spectacular fashion.  But he's continued to say and do things that would sink any normal politician, and he's apparently only getting more popular.  He's the presumptive Republican nominee, at this point, with everyone else squabbling for second place.  Like it or not, he's the modern face of the GOP. 

I'm not sure what that would mean for old guard GOP like Boehner.  How does someone like that try to govern with a singing chimpanzee clown in the White House?

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2015, 02:10:59 AM »

Two weeks ago I was sure he was a joke candidate and it was only a matter of time before he flamed out in spectacular fashion.  But he's continued to say and do things that would sink any normal politician, and he's apparently only getting more popular.  He's the presumptive Republican nominee, at this point, with everyone else squabbling for second place.  Like it or not, he's the modern face of the GOP. 

I'm not sure what that would mean for old guard GOP like Boehner.  How does someone like that try to govern with a singing chimpanzee clown in the White House?

I don't believe that Trump is a Republican I think he is an opportunist and he is doing this either for ego reasons, or because he is under the delusion he can be President.  He gets to call himself a Republican when he wins a primary (Polls don't count), or he pledges to support the nominee. Which also means not giving campaign contributions to the other side.  I will say that I was worried about Trump being  the face of the Republican until I saw the debate.  He got called out twice for not being a Republican in the debate.  Now its true Trump got 11 minutes in front of 24 million people and certainly the headlines, but the other Republican got roughly 70 minutes combined. Whatever you think of the other Republican the seem less crazy than Trump.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »

We elected a crack addicted racist mayor to the largest (and one of the most ethnically diverse) cities in Canada.  Still paying for the problems he created in office (and will continue to do so for many years to come).  Never underestimate the power that the block of dumb voters and one idiot with charisma have to ruin things for everyone.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:56 AM »

I don't believe that Trump is a Republican I think he is an opportunist and he is doing this either for ego reasons

He gets to call himself a Republican when he wins a primary (Polls don't count)

Whatever you think of the other Republican the seem less crazy than Trump.

Everything Trump does is for his ego.

So Carson and Fiorina aren't Republicans yet because they've never won a primary?

I don't think that's at all clear. I think the difference is in style. He lets his ego sit front and center. They hide theirs behind poll tested rhetoric and obfuscation.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »

We elected a crack addicted racist mayor to the largest (and one of the most ethnically diverse) cities in Canada.  Still paying for the problems he created in office (and will continue to do so for many years to come).  Never underestimate the power that the block of dumb voters and one idiot with charisma have to ruin things for everyone.

And don't forget our beloved long-time mayor of DC Marion Barry- famous for smoking crack with a prostitute yet still being re-elected after he got out of prison!  Yay, electorate!

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »

Yep, we're screwed.  If Rob Ford can get office in Canada, Trump has a fighting chance in the US.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »
If debt is your concern then you should only vote democrats for president.

As to the racist charge, feel free to look at the actual data for who votes democratic vs republican. The republican electorate is drastically older, whiter, and male-er, than the electorate at large.  That's an indisputable fact, but of course to modern conservatives facts are a left wing conspiracy.
During the Clinton administration, it was the republicans in congress that balanced the budget. Largely John Kasich. John Kasich for president! He is a Moderate/Conservative Republican, I think he's the closest to the "middle" of all candidates that actually have a chance of winning on either side.
He's okay with some Medicaid, but not the crappy part of Obamacare.
He's trying to help the environment more than most republicans, although he still says he's not sure how much of the environmental problems is human caused... But it's a step in the right direction at least.
He is a Republican that wants to reduce the budget that the military has, not just by cutting things willy nilly, but choosing to use the military budget cost effectively and efficiently. He still wants to go deal with ISIS(cost effectively) and end that silly deal that the Obama administration is trying to make.
He is against gay marriage, but understands that the ruling is done and he accepts the ruling. He also says he has gay friends and even goes to their weddings, he still supports his friends even though he is old fashioned and traditional and thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman.
He wants to fix the border and stop as many illegal immigrants from coming to the US as possible (cost effectively), but still allow them to legally come via work visas. He also wants to find the illegal immigrants in America, deport any that have a U.S. criminal record, make the rest of them pay a fine and will allow them to stay, although not as U.S. citizens.
He thinks we need to stop living high on the hog and increasing the debt on our children and future generations dime. Because they are the ones who will have to deal with the debt. He wants to rebalance the budget like he did during the Clinton administration and then make a balanced budget amendment to the constitution saying that the government can't spend more than it has.
The only issues I have with him are:
The environmental stance I brought up above (although that's better than most republican candidates)
His stance on abortion, he's pro-life, but says he give exceptions for rape/incest/problems. But in the state he governs, a law came about that makes counsellors not allowed to recommend abortion to any patients (including people that have some of those exceptions) I don't think this was his idea, but he didn't veto it.
Lastly he talks about religion, less than a lot of candidates, but I would prefer none.
He's not perfect, but no candidates are, and for me he's the best option, so I hope he becomes GOP candidate and then goes on to become president and fixes our economy like he fixed his states economy (bringing them from an $8 billion deficit to a $2 billion surplus, bringing 350,000 jobs to his state, all while cutting taxes $5 billion, more than any other state.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
then make a balanced budget amendment to the constitution saying that the government can't spend more than it has.
So in a recession you can't print extra stimulus money as Keynes recommends, and the US and UK did, but instead you have austerity policies and foreclose on public debt, as Germany did to Greece.
Then in a boom you cut taxes, interests rates drop, your currency goes through the floor and your balance of trade deficit mushrooms.

Running a national economy is not the same as balancing a household budget.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »

Running a national economy is not the same as balancing a household budget.

There is a world of difference between what you're talking about and the routine methodology in this country where what we spend has been completely divorced from our revenue streams.

The above little phrase has been used over and over again to pedantically dismiss the arguments of those who oppose deficit spending.  The issue is just "too complicated" and we "don't understand."

In your household budget, it's OK to borrow money to buy a house.  It's generally speaking not OK to borrow money to pay for debt.  Sometimes refinancing makes sense.  You definitely don't borrow money to pay for electricity or paper clips.  When you start doing that, it means you need to get your shit together.

I don't have an issue with the Fed Govt making good use of finance, particularly when interest rates are low, or when there's an imminent moral hazard on the scale of the great depression coming down the pipe.

That's fine.

But if you want a war, you have to pay for it.  Raise taxes, cut other spending, whatever.  You want a new entitlement program, raise taxes, cut spending, whatever.  To take action you know will increase long term spending without also taking steps to increase revenue to pay for it is fundamentally wrong, and it would be great if it was also illegal.

That both Reagan and Bush 2 cut taxes without also cutting spending means they were terrible presidents.  Bush 1 raised taxes to pay for his war after promising "read my lips, no new taxes" and Clinton 1 made him eat it for lunch.  Bush 2 learned that lesson well.

I can be both well informed of all the different complexities of the federal budget process and at the same time suggest a balanced budget, without being an advocate for:

So in a recession you can't print extra stimulus money as Keynes recommends, and the US and UK did, but instead you have austerity policies and foreclose on public debt, as Germany did to Greece.
Then in a boom you cut taxes, interests rates drop, your currency goes through the floor and your balance of trade deficit mushrooms.

Which you probably know.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »
he is under the delusion he can be President. 

Why is it a delusion?  He's currently leading all of the other Republican candidates by an enviable margin, so he has a better chance of becoming President than Jeb Bush or Scott Walker or anyone else on that side.  If he's delusional, the rest of them must be outright crazy.

Of course, he's still trailing Clinton in the polls by about 15 points in a hypothetical head to head matchup, but that's still better than anyone else is doing.  And the race is yet young.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
In think the fact that we have a well traveled thread dedicated to Trump and no other candidate should tell us something.   

And this just in -- Megyn Kelly is taking a 10 day break.  One has to wonder if that wasn't a Trump suggestion to have her "reeducated?"  After all you don't want to offend your #1 audience draw for your reality TV show.  Course if he was a Dugar or a Duck Dynasty star they would have forced an apology and suspended him from appearances for 10 episodes.   I guess since they aren't paying him they decided anything goes as long as the ratings keep going well.   

Here is another spin on the Trump deal -- http://freetheanimal.com/2015/08/about-donald-trump.html

If you are offended by cuss words I wouldn't recommend reading it.

And his poll numbers keep rising!

Trump's now the front runner in Iowa's very early poll among voters who have made up their minds.   Scott what's his name was bumped down to 3rd.   Followed by a person who appears to be black without significant leadership experience.   So much for the "party of entrenched old white guys" spin.     --- http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-knocks-walker-place-iowa-poll-article-1.2324022

Most exciting primary run I can ever remember.   

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
I'm not sure why we're all so focused on polls right now. Remember last time?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

You can be 1st or 2nd in the polls for a long time and then tank. It's *really* early. Trump is not going to get the nomination.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
In think the fact that we have a well traveled thread dedicated to Trump and no other candidate should tell us something.   

That Trump and the Trump Phenomenon is really interesting and/or controversial. And that all the other candidates are really not that interesting.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
I'm not sure why we're all so focused on polls right now. Remember last time?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

You can be 1st or 2nd in the polls for a long time and then tank. It's *really* early. Trump is not going to get the nomination.
I agree, so far I think the 2 biggest possibilities are Jeb Bush and John Kasich. Marco Rubio has a small chance, a few others might have a small chance as well. I think the only ones I would want to vote for are Bush Kasich or Rand Paul, although I don't think Rand Paul has a chance.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
100% right.

Stepping away from recency bias, hypnosis talk and idle speculation about the fun prospect of an actual clown winning the republican nomination, how about some quantitative analysis?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/candidates-in-donald-trumps-position-have-a-terrible-track-record/

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
Who wants quantitative analysis when you have opinions?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
And oddly none of those candidates were Trump?  There is a thing called momentum.  Trump is actually working beyond Iowa already.  That is how confident he is. 

And don't forget at this point it is virtually impossible for Trump to say something stupid enough to lose the election.  He has already done that so it is baked into the polls.   He could say that his wife is the C word and pick up 2%.   

So what has to happen for him to loose Iowa and NH is that the RNC has to convince about 10 of the contenders to exit stage left prior to Iowa.   I can't see at least 6 of them doing that.  So we are left with a field of 7.  So what is that 15%.  And have you ever seen how weird the Iowa caucuses are?  It is a big peer pressure thing and the young excited people can have a massive impact. 

And Milesdividendmd --- You should be all for Trump as according to you he is the most racist person ever and would be the easiest to beat for the Dems.   In fact,  you should put his sign in your yard to ramp up the enthusiasm  ---- or is it that you secretly believe that he will actually have a pretty good run at it?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
And oddly none of those candidates were Trump?  There is a thing called momentum.  Trump is actually working beyond Iowa already.  That is how confident he is. 

And don't forget at this point it is virtually impossible for Trump to say something stupid enough to lose the election.  He has already done that so it is baked into the polls.   He could say that his wife is the C word and pick up 2%.   

So what has to happen for him to loose Iowa and NH is that the RNC has to convince about 10 of the contenders to exit stage left prior to Iowa.   I can't see at least 6 of them doing that.  So we are left with a field of 7.  So what is that 15%.  And have you ever seen how weird the Iowa caucuses are?  It is a big peer pressure thing and the young excited people can have a massive impact. 

And Milesdividendmd --- You should be all for Trump as according to you he is the most racist person ever and would be the easiest to beat for the Dems.   In fact,  you should put his sign in your yard to ramp up the enthusiasm  ---- or is it that you secretly believe that he will actually have a pretty good run at it?

You really are scaring the hell out of me.  I've participated in the caucuses in the past, I know of what you speak, and I agree that the large number of candidates dilute the conservative vote and leave the OMG! vote the winner.  Trump is definately the OMG vote.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
To me trump is just another in a long series of clowns to represent the seamy underbelly of the conservative movement.

He's not really different from any of the past john birch society favorites:

Michele Bachman, Pat Robertson, Pat Buchanan..

Same impotent expression of the same vocal minority.

He's vile, but then they always are.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!