Poll

What's your Hogwarts house?

Gryffindor
Hufflepuff
Ravenclaw
Slytherin

Author Topic: What's your Hogwarts house?  (Read 12058 times)

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
What's your Hogwarts house?
« on: July 02, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
Any other Harry Potter fans around here? A new Harry Potter quiz from Time magazine was floating around Facebook last week, and I finally decided to take the plunge and see what house I would be sorted into. Apparently I'm Slytherin. I think it makes sense, since I would characterize myself as a goal-oriented, disciplined, and resourceful person who has little regard for rules. I even have a pet snake, haha!

I also tried the official Pottermore quiz, which put me into Ravenclaw. I think that quiz had some issues though, because it asked pretty silly questions like "What kind of street would you prefer to walk down?" or "Would you want a pet cat, owl, or toad?"

Ravenclaw is definitely my second most likely house, since I have a lot of curiosity and raw intelligence, plus I tend to be pretty eccentric. However, I think my biggest divergence from Ravenclaw is that I've never considered myself to be academically minded. I always got excellent grades, but in many cases I cared much more about my GPA than about the subject I was learning. I'm more interested in knowledge for its practical uses, i.e. "knowledge is power," rather than for its own sake. My curiosity tends to be pretty easy to satiate, unless the subject is related to some objective or personal interest of mine.

I'm curious what sort of results the people on this forum would get. I seem to recall prior polls about MBTI personality types, where INTJ was overrepresented in the forum population.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:22:20 PM by Herbert Derp »

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
Re: What's your Hogwarts house?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Overwhelmingly Ravenclaw - 70%, Hufflepuff 20%, Gryffindor 9.8% and Slytherin 0.2%

Ravenclaws rule!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
I'm curious what sort of results the people on this forum would get. I seem to recall prior polls about MBTI personality types, where INTJ was overrepresented in the forum population.

Haha, that was fun! Ravenclaw - 51.2%, Hufflepuff - 46.3%, Gryffindor - 2.5%, Slytherin - 0%

For MBTI, yes, this forum skews heavily INTJ: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/myers-briggs-type-indicator/. INFJ here, though borderline F/T, which seems to be mirrored in the Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff breakdown :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
Ravenclaw, which is where I would have put myself.
Ravenclaw - 65.4%, Hufflepuff 31.6%, Gryffindor 3.1% and Slytherin 0%

Of course those sliding scales are only so accurate, you can (or at least I can) always think of some situation where the response would be wildly different.

ETA to add I see people are putting their M-B too - I usually test out INTJ.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:37:41 PM by RetiredAt63 »

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Ravenclaw 70.6%, Hufflepuff 28.6%, Gryffindor 0.5%, Slytherin 0.3%

Wow Herbert Derp - you are major Slytherin. Interesting.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
Wow, so many Ravenclaws! It's interesting, given all the INTJs on this forum, I'd think there would be some more Slytherins here. I feel that the INTJ personality tends to lend itself towards either Ravenclaw or Slytherin.

Among those who've posted so far, I see high percentages for Ravenclaw with secondary traits in Hufflepuff. Thinking about it, it makes sense given that this is a forum about early retirement.

Most early retirement seekers are clearly very intelligent, rational, and methodical, yet not afraid to think differently, which explains the high correlation with Ravenclaw. People with high Slytherin traits should be more ambitious, and therefore may be less likely to seek out early retirement. People with Hufflepuff traits ought to be less ambitious and more satisfied with what they've got, which lends itself well to exiting the rat race.

Personally, I find the idea of having the financial freedom to live my life in whatever way I want to be a very ambitious goal. Surely, having the power to be the master of one's own life, to pursue whatever interests you, to be beholden to no one, to live wherever you want, for as long as you want, to wake and sleep as you please--it's hard to find a more lofty goal to strive for! But maybe the other Slytherins don't agree?

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
I came out as Slytherin but I identify with Hufflepuff.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
Ravenclaw 50%, Hufflepuff 40%

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
Ravenclaw 48.7%
Hufflepuff 28.2%
Gryffindor 23.1%
Slytherin 0.0%

weird.  I think it's broken.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
I answered the poll before talking the quiz but my result was exactly as expected. 2/3 Ravenclaw 1/3 Hufflepuff.  It's something I've thought about a lot while reading the books. And yes I'm an INTJ.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »
Also Ravenclaw first, Hufflepuff second, I got a whopping 3% for the other two. I think the questions about deceit and manipulation were more for Slytherin in this quiz, where ambition and intelligence went towards Ravenclaw. I've taken others (LOVE Harry Potter!!), And I'm usually Ravenclaw, but the Hufflepuff threw me. I think it's because I answered that I don't think I'm more important than anyone else (what I really believe- everyone has a job to do and one life to live). And yes, I'm also INTJ.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
So are Gryffindors bravely stupid and Hufflepuffs are secondary traits?

Looks like the quiz is highly skewed - eg most of the population are Ravenclaw-like with a bit of Slytherin thrown in.

Anyone want to play with it and see if they can come up with Gryffindor as their main trait?

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 02:36:18 AM »
Confirmed/tested INTJ here, and DD tells me - she is steeped in the HP lore - that i am definitely in Ravenclaw. But I shall sit the quiz, to check.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 02:47:18 AM »
Hufflepuff: 51.3%
Ravenclaw: 47.6%
Gryffindor: 1.1%
Slytherin:  0%

Interesting. I've always thought of myself as a natural Ravenclaw, but I've also been actively trying to develop Hufflepuff traits - I guess it's working! (INTJ here too)

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »
Ravenclaw: 59.5%
Hufflepuff: 28.2%
Gryffindor: 12.3%
Slytherin: 0%

I haven't read any of the books and the movies don't really give me enough to figure out if that seems correct. I'm anothe INTJ so the breakdown seems to match what everyone else is seeing.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »

Anyone want to play with it and see if they can come up with Gryffindor as their main trait?

Easy enough. Took it again and answered 7 to all the questions about doing things that scare or worry you or are dangerous. Threw in some manipulative tendencies, 5 or 6 on those questions, and got 63.6% Gryffindor and 17.1% Slytherin.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
70.2% Gryffindor.

I saw two people in robes playing Quidditch the other day. Either that, or they were nerdy monks playing cricket.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:46:09 PM by Kriegsspiel »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
I got 60% ravenclaw, 30% hufflepuff and 8% griffindor. INTP here. Not really surprised that Ravenclaw is dominating in this group.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »

Easy enough. Took it again and answered 7 to all the questions about doing things that scare or worry you or are dangerous. Threw in some manipulative tendencies, 5 or 6 on those questions, and got 63.6% Gryffindor and 17.1% Slytherin.

So Gryffindor house members are more likely to win Darwin awards!

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »

^^^^ Quidditch-implement.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
Hufflepuff and proud <3

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »
INTJ here. I scored:

Ravenclaw 75%
Hufflepuff 19%
Griffindor 6%
Slytherin <1%

I have also never read the Harry Potter books, thus I have no opinion regarding the outcome.

SustainableStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
Hufflepuff:  66.4%
Ravenclaw:  28.1%
Gryffindor:  5.5%
Slytherin:  0%

Previous to the quiz, while reading the books and watching some of the movies, I've identified as Hufflepuff.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
Apparently I'm schizoid.

Gryffindor: 38.3%
Hufflepuff: 31.2%
Ravenclaw: 30%
Slytherin: 0.6%

I expected a lot more Slytherin.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Apparently I'm schizoid.

Yup, too much Gryffindor I reckon. Gryffindor house ain't healthy.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
Ravenclaw
48%
Gryffindor
28.1%
Hufflepuff
23.9%
Slytherin
0%

INTJ here. They did say this quiz was related to the Big 5 personality test (OCEAN) so I would imagine the Harry Potter fans would be able to pick out which traits get you into each house.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »
Apparently I'm schizoid.

Slytherin: 0.6%

I expected a lot more Slytherin.

The poor sorting hat.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
Interesting. It's been quite awhile since I read the series. I can see how this would relate to MBTI.

Ravenclaw
42.5%
Slytherin
36.2%
Gryffindor
17.9%
Hufflepuff
3.4%

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 06:53:53 PM »
Ravenclaw
 73.2%

Hufflepuff
 26.7%

Slytherin
 0.1%

Gryffindor
 0%

I thought I'd be a but more evenly hufflepuff, but if sorted as child I would have surely been a Ravenclaw. I se great value in the hufflepuffs though.

I'm very confused by the extra questions. Did they mean a literal fistfight? Or a war of words, for instance?  When they ask if it's OK to hurt someone to protect my country, is that as an individual or military action? I needed more context.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 08:13:33 PM »
100% Muggle

philosophia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
Gryffindor: 52.2%
Ravenclaw: 32.2%
Hufflepuff: 12.8%
Slytherin: 2.8%

No surprises there. I have always had a great affinity for Gryffindor and I was sorted into that house on Pottermore years ago.

I also happen to be an INTJ.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
70.2% Gryffindor.

I saw two people in robes playing Quidditch the other day. Either that, or they were nerdy monks playing cricket.

Wait, only 2, and wearing robes?  Not head bands?

Ah, I see, they were playing Quidditch, not quidditch.  Two of my sons play quidditch, one pretty seriously.  He was up in Ottawa this weekend for Canada Day Fantasy, and posts on FB say they won.  I don't think it was his usual team, though, or at least not entirely.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 07:30:45 AM »
Ravenclaw 57.1%
Hufflepuff 41.9%
Gryffindor 0.9%
Slytherin 0%

INFP/INFJ, depending on the test.

Weird to see Ravenclaw over Hufflepuff. Usually I get Hufflepuff. Also I'm in Ravenclaw because of my work ethic and shrewdness? Yeah, no.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »
70.2% Gryffindor.

Wait, only 2, and wearing robes?  Not head bands?

Ah, I see, they were playing Quidditch, not quidditch.  Two of my sons play quidditch, one pretty seriously.  He was up in Ottawa this weekend for Canada Day Fantasy, and posts on FB say they won.  I don't think it was his usual team, though, or at least not entirely.

Yup, it looked like they were practicing.

Either way, an English sport.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
Why the Hogwarts Sorting Hat is a bad idea.

The Hat itself questions whether or not it's a good idea. One of the songs he says that he has to sort you but he wonders if it's wrong

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »
I got
Hufflepuff 49.5%
Ravenclaw 48.4%
Gryffindor 2.1%
Slytherin 0%

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2017, 03:24:17 AM »

The Hat itself questions whether or not it's a good idea. One of the songs he says that he has to sort you but he wonders if it's wrong

Also, Harry asks to not be in Slytherin even though the hat thinks he could fit in there and it agrees.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2017, 04:53:06 AM »

Also, Harry asks to not be in Slytherin even though the hat thinks he could fit in there and it agrees.
I can't remember - did the book ever answer where the hat came from? Seems like an intentionally created magical object of extreme durability which likely took a wizard of considerable skill to create.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 06:01:33 AM »
I'm a Hufflepuff and I was sorted into that House by both the Sorting Hat at Harry Potter: The Exhibition and the Pottermore website. My wife is a Slytherin. That's a pretty good combination, because I'm very good at being industrious and friendly and helpful and she's good at showing me how to be more ambitious and assertive. We make things happen.

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »
Ravenclaw 47.7%

Hufflepuff 26.5%

Gryffindor 25.7%

Slytherin 0%

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »

The argument in that article is pretty nuanced, going into growth mindset, personality changes, etc.  It's really not solved by a "well you can have some influence with the hat" thing.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »

The argument in that article is pretty nuanced, going into growth mindset, personality changes, etc.  It's really not solved by a "well you can have some influence with the hat" thing.  :)

I did read the article, but even as a child I took that to mean "You can be in whichever house you want to be", which with my grown-up mind I translate into having a growth mindset. As I mentioned upthread, I was a classic Ravenclaw but have been working on developing Hufflepuff traits - and yes, I have been thinking of it like that! You just never know how children are going to take stuff like that in books. I've always kind of thought you could switch houses - like if someone wanted to be more academic they could switch to Ravenclaw - though it's only just occurred to me that no one ever did!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
Not only were you locked into a house, it was very rare you'd even get a different house than your lineage.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2017, 10:05:38 PM »

I did read the article, but even as a child I took that to mean "You can be in whichever house you want to be", which with my grown-up mind I translate into having a growth mindset. As I mentioned upthread, I was a classic Ravenclaw but have been working on developing Hufflepuff traits - and yes, I have been thinking of it like that! You just never know how children are going to take stuff like that in books. I've always kind of thought you could switch houses - like if someone wanted to be more academic they could switch to Ravenclaw - though it's only just occurred to me that no one ever did!

Besides who the characters mainly spent their time with, I'm not sure the houses really served any other purpose in HP. There's some backstory on why the sorting hat places students where they go (Gryfindor valued the bravest, Slytherin the purest blood and ambition, Ravenclaw valued cleverness, and Hufflepuff valued all the same), but the literary purpose of the sorting hat is to provide internal conflict for Harry, a societal conflict in the Slytherin house, and the foils, Draco and Snape.

I fully appreciate the growth-mindset, especially as a teacher. Without a growth-mindset, teachers go 'well this kid can never learn this!' instead of 'what can I do to help this child grow so they can learn the material?' I don't really think that's what JK Rowling was thinking about when she wrote HP, though;)

After my first posting, I went back and retook the Meyer-Briggs assessment again. Interestingly enough, I'm now INFJ instead of INTJ- proof of growth-mindset at work, I suppose.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2017, 01:45:22 AM »
Not only were you locked into a house, it was very rare you'd even get a different house than your lineage.

Fair point, but who's to say that's nature or nurture (what you're told to want)? :) Anyway, my main point is that people read different things into books and I don't think we need to worry about children obsessing about a fixed mindset because of the sorting hat because you just don't know how they're going to take it.

On a tangent, it's like whether or not Ma Ingalls was racist. As a child that totally passed me by. I just thought she was shy! Re-reading it, she really doesn't like them injuns. But that doesn't mean we should ban Little House in case it makes children racist.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 04:15:40 AM »
Ravenclaw 70.4%

Hufflepuff 24.5%

Gryffindor 5.1%

Slytherin 0%

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Astrology minus the math.

Horoscopes cut down to reduce drag.

I'm lighting out for the Territories, inspired by racism or no...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »

Fair point, but who's to say that's nature or nurture (what you're told to want)? :) Anyway, my main point is that people read different things into books and I don't think we need to worry about children obsessing about a fixed mindset because of the sorting hat because you just don't know how they're going to take it.

On a tangent, it's like whether or not Ma Ingalls was racist. As a child that totally passed me by. I just thought she was shy! Re-reading it, she really doesn't like them injuns. But that doesn't mean we should ban Little House in case it makes children racist.

Who said anything about banning anything?  Or even that kids will understand the sorting hat that way?

The article was about how the sorting hat is a bad idea. I thought it was interesting, and relevant, and shared it.

:)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!