Author Topic: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?  (Read 143914 times)

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?
« Reply #500 on: September 16, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
I have posted a few times naked on the forum.

Several times in combination with being drunk as well...

I'm posting naked and drunk right now, and loving it!

ubermom4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #501 on: September 16, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
I don't want to distract from the naked and/or drunken areas but wanted to add that I think we are getting too many 'regular' people to the forums rather than engineers who are interested in optimizing everything.  The sheer volume of postings and their repetitive nature can be a turn off (especially if you are drunk or naked). I do think that these forums are helping neophytes and lurkers -- patience testers for mustachians. OP -- thanks for letting us vent here!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: September 16, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »

And, this is SO non mustachian, but I only did Botox today instead of Botox and filler. Saved several hundred dollars. <ducks the face punches>
[/url]

I had to look up hadilly,  when I saw this.... many typical posts, about batch cooking veggies and Goodwill.. and then a suggestion to buy Eileen Fischer pants, because they wear like iron.   (These are $US168 to $US248, sometimes on sale for $US89)...   me thinks that blowing a few hundred dollars here and there throughout the year is not an issue.... 
But maybe hadilly buys used Eileen Fischer pants.  I know I purchase expensive brands used on eBay for about 10% of the new price. 
Oh,  and I had to check how often Botox needs to repeat -- something like 2-3x per year..$500+ per time without fillers.
WHAT?! I guess I thought it would stick for a few years.  No way would I want to get vanity shots 2-3x/year.  And spend over $1k/year to have a forehead that doesn't move. 

To everyone posting without clothing, where do you set your laptop? Do you sit in a chair with no pants?  I have too many questions. 

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: September 16, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »

And, this is SO non mustachian, but I only did Botox today instead of Botox and filler. Saved several hundred dollars. <ducks the face punches>
[/url]

I had to look up hadilly,  when I saw this.... many typical posts, about batch cooking veggies and Goodwill.. and then a suggestion to buy Eileen Fischer pants, because they wear like iron.   (These are $US168 to $US248, sometimes on sale for $US89)...   me thinks that blowing a few hundred dollars here and there throughout the year is not an issue.... 
But maybe hadilly buys used Eileen Fischer pants.  I know I purchase expensive brands used on eBay for about 10% of the new price. 
Oh,  and I had to check how often Botox needs to repeat -- something like 2-3x per year..$500+ per time without fillers.
WHAT?! I guess I thought it would stick for a few years.  No way would I want to get vanity shots 2-3x/year.  And spend over $1k/year to have a forehead that doesn't move. 

To everyone posting without clothing, where do you set your laptop? Do you sit in a chair with no pants?  I have too many questions. 

On a tray attached to a pole clamped to my desk. Standing desk + dictation software for a fully no-touch naked experience!

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #504 on: September 17, 2017, 12:48:47 AM »
On MMM today:

I just saw a post to OP asking where to buy essential oils (for less).
One poster suggested buying them while on vacation in Bali because they are so cheap there.  !!!
---------------------

To be fair that post was from super frugal Jo-Jo and she didn't say you should go to Bali to get oils but that you should look for them if you are on vacation somewhere as they might be much cheaper. She merely mentioned that she happened to pick some up cheap in Bali while travelling (which she does frugally).

I know, but without the backstory, the post could have been read by the general guest as an endorsement for Bali travel, too, as a way to save money...  espeicially as the OP was simply looking for an answer like "here is a link to make your own"... "go to walmart"... etc.
That's true. Lots of new members here that could take her Bali post wrong. Personally I think she should have paid $12k to get her private pilots license, then $100k to buy a small plane, then a few thousand for fuel to fly herself to Bali to but discounted oils. DIY MMM style! Or maybe hit a local Head shop (do they still have those) and but some Patchouli oil cheap ;-).

I was the OP on the essential oils thread. About halfway done with earning my pilot's license. Those cheap essential oils will be mine...

Actually I just lost interest and never bothered with them. Which is what I do with almost all of my consumer wishes. After posting about them in the MMM forums.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #505 on: September 17, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
I didn't read the thread, but I do feel like essential oils are one of those things that are produced industrially very cheaply and marked up like crazy.  So there's nothing inherently wrong with buying some cheap essential oils if you can find them. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #506 on: September 18, 2017, 02:41:57 AM »
What, prey tell, are the oils essential for?

(I am fully clothed on a public train posting this time FWIW).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: September 18, 2017, 03:19:05 AM »
(I am fully clothed on a public train posting this time FWIW).

Who's a clever boy. :P

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #508 on: September 18, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
My husband asked the same question enough times that I gave up on getting the essential oils, even on the cheap. He said they should be called optional oils.

They just make a room smell nice if you put them in the cute little diffusers all my friends have. They're just nice, ok? Optional, but nice oils.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: September 18, 2017, 08:05:54 AM »
I didn't read the thread, but I do feel like essential oils are one of those things that are produced industrially very cheaply and marked up like crazy.  So there's nothing inherently wrong with buying some cheap essential oils if you can find them.

IME some brands do not smell as strong as others. And smelling is the whole point.

My husband asked the same question enough times that I gave up on getting the essential oils, even on the cheap. He said they should be called optional oils.

They just make a room smell nice if you put them in the cute little diffusers all my friends have. They're just nice, ok? Optional, but nice oils.

Luxury oils, maybe? :-)

I am not one of those people who thinks that essential oils do anything. I just like to add them to my bath with coconut oil because I try to avoid artificial fragrance.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
Y'all do know that essential oils aren't called essential because you can't live without them, right? It's because they contain the 'essence' of whatever plant it is. (Please excuse me if my sense of humour just failed. To atone, have some 'essential' humour: https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/sesame-and-poppy-seed-thins?utm_term=.kpX52wnPK#.xn8QoV9Zd)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: September 18, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
I don't "believe" in any essential oils' properties.

However: Eucalyptus oil is freaking fantastic for freshening up a room with a cat box in it. I always have that stuff on hand. I sprinkle a little bit around and it smells clean and amazing.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #512 on: September 18, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »

I believe essential oils have LOTS of properties.  Specific gravity, viscosity, compressibility, temperature...

I am not one of those people who thinks that essential oils do anything. I just like to add them to my bath with coconut oil because I try to avoid artificial fragrance.

You try to avoid artificial fragrance?  By buying artificial fragrance?  What do we think essential oils are, if not artificial?  Any time you extract a chemical from a substance using an industrial process, you have created an artificial product. 

Like just because there is ammonia in guano doesn't make ammonia a natural product.  Essential oils are NOT natural. 

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #513 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:10 AM »
Throw Basil from your garden directly into the bathwater.

100% natural.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #514 on: September 18, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
  Any time you extract a chemical from a substance using an industrial process, you have created an artificial product. 

I don't really agree with this.  I'm not saying extracted chemicals are healthier by virtue of their natural occurrence, but there is a difference between naturally occurring chemicals (physically extracted) and a synthetic substance (created through chemistry).

I mean, we industrially extract milk from cows, process and redistribute the fat content, etc.  That doesn't make milk "artificial" IMO

... unless you are another "one of those" I've been running into so much recently :-P

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #515 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
  Any time you extract a chemical from a substance using an industrial process, you have created an artificial product. 

I don't really agree with this.  I'm not saying extracted chemicals are healthier by virtue of their natural occurrence, but there is a difference between naturally occurring chemicals (physically extracted) and a synthetic substance (created through chemistry).

This isn't strictly true. I'm sure some essential oils fall into each category, and a lot of fragrances can be pinpointed to a single or very few molecules. In such a case, there is absolutely no chemical difference between the molecule extracted from its natural source and the same molecule synthesized in a lab. As long as it's purified reasonably well, there's no difference whatsoever.

Milk is a different story because it's a very complicated substance. "Synthesizing" it would mean creating a huge variety of proteins and fats and getting them mixed together in the right ratios. If it's not impossible it's certainly not cost-effective.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: September 18, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »

I believe essential oils have LOTS of properties.  Specific gravity, viscosity, compressibility, temperature...

You try to avoid artificial fragrance?  By buying artificial fragrance?  What do we think essential oils are, if not artificial?  Any time you extract a chemical from a substance using an industrial process, you have created an artificial product. 

Like just because there is ammonia in guano doesn't make ammonia a natural product.  Essential oils are NOT natural.

My wording was imprecise. I do not care for petroleum-based (ie, synthetic) fragrances. You may agree or disagree. It is a personal preference. I prefer the smell and feel of an EV coconut oil/essential oil bath to other methods and it is one of my relatively low-cost little luxuries.

Nope, the community has not gone soft...

Throw Basil from your garden directly into the bathwater.

100% natural.

Sigh. I live in a 565-square foot apartment (with my kids) and my balcony does not get much sun. I didn't even get enough basil for my caprese.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #517 on: September 18, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »

However: Eucalyptus oil is freaking fantastic for freshening up a room with a cat box in it. I always have that stuff on hand. I sprinkle a little bit around and it smells clean and amazing.

Thanks!!!  I have studiouly avoided all "essential oil" woo-woo (really NOT a new-agey person).  But we are now having serious problems with the cat litter (new rescue cat is missing a front leg, which means she can't cover up effectively -- something that seems so obvious in retrospect but that never occurred to me before we took her home).  I have just picked up some eucalyptus oil and will give it a shot -- if it works, that may be the best $6 I've ever spent. :-)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: September 18, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
Anyone have a link to the posts discussed above with Lhamo & Frankiesgirl?

Gladly. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/case-study-$800-000-in-debt-and-where-to-start/msg1696431/#msg1696431

I'm forgetting which one had the actual facepunch picture though, but it also was pretty fantastic.
The picture was posted by me.  It was also in that same case study.  He is listening, yet not, so it remains to be seen what steps he'll take.  He's got a lot of complexity to dig through to no way he can do this quickly but still a lot more push back than someone who's just going to dig in and figure it out.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: September 18, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »

Thanks!!!  I have studiouly avoided all "essential oil" woo-woo (really NOT a new-agey person).  But we are now having serious problems with the cat litter (new rescue cat is missing a front leg, which means she can't cover up effectively -- something that seems so obvious in retrospect but that never occurred to me before we took her home).  I have just picked up some eucalyptus oil and will give it a shot -- if it works, that may be the best $6 I've ever spent. :-)

I hope it works for you. I found out about it because we have a cat that used to pee outside the box somewhat frequently, due in part to an undiagnosed kidney issue. I read that cats do not like the smell of eucalyptus, and so decided to get some in an attempt to get the cat to stop peeing in a particular area. But the bonus was the instantly-fresh smell, and now I sprinkle it around our laundry room (which is also where the cat boxes are) whenever I start to think things are beginning to smell a bit less than fresh. (By the way, I wouldn't sprinkle it in the cat box, due to the cat-repelling qualities I mentioned above...)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #520 on: September 18, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »

I hope it works for you. I found out about it because we have a cat that used to pee outside the box somewhat frequently, due in part to an undiagnosed kidney issue. I read that cats do not like the smell of eucalyptus, and so decided to get some in an attempt to get the cat to stop peeing in a particular area. But the bonus was the instantly-fresh smell, and now I sprinkle it around our laundry room (which is also where the cat boxes are) whenever I start to think things are beginning to smell a bit less than fresh. (By the way, I wouldn't sprinkle it in the cat box, due to the cat-repelling qualities I mentioned above...)

So my cat poops directly outside of the litter box. If I put the oil around the box, will that compel to look for somewhere else in the house to poop?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: September 18, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »

So my cat poops directly outside of the litter box. If I put the oil around the box, will that compel to look for somewhere else in the house to poop?

It has not had that effect on our cat -- and I worried about that, too. He also sometimes poops directly outside the litter box. I sprinkle the oil on the spot where he has pooped after cleanup, it seems to coax him back into the litter box -- or at least, he doesn't poop "on" the spot with the eucalyptus oil, nor does he go elsewhere in the house.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: September 18, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
I don't know if the community has gone soft, but now it's gone to (cat) crap.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #523 on: September 18, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »

True. 

Isn't it great that the "let's kvetch about how spendy everyone is getting" thread helped me find a potentially awesome new luxury good that I had never realized I needed before?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #524 on: September 18, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »
Apparently cat tastes a lot like rabbit.  I'm just sayin' . . . you could solve your kitty litter problem AND save on meat next week.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: September 18, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
Apparently cat tastes a lot like rabbit.  I'm just sayin' . . . you could solve your kitty litter problem AND save on meat next week.

Ha. You sound like my husband.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: September 18, 2017, 07:25:40 PM »

Eucalyptus oil is also great at removing sticky labels/residue.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #527 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »

This isn't strictly true. I'm sure some essential oils fall into each category, and a lot of fragrances can be pinpointed to a single or very few molecules. In such a case, there is absolutely no chemical difference between the molecule extracted from its natural source and the same molecule synthesized in a lab. As long as it's purified reasonably well, there's no difference whatsoever.

Milk is a different story because it's a very complicated substance. "Synthesizing" it would mean creating a huge variety of proteins and fats and getting them mixed together in the right ratios. If it's not impossible it's certainly not cost-effective.

Yeah sorry I wasn't saying you can't synthetically reproduce an otherwise naturally occurring substance (intersection on the venn diagram).  I was saying that the sets of chemicals obtained by each process are distinguishable (non-zero set difference).

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #528 on: September 19, 2017, 05:30:17 AM »

True. 

Isn't it great that the "let's kvetch about how spendy everyone is getting" thread helped me find a potentially awesome new luxury good that I had never realized I needed before?

:)  Sometimes I think there should be a "seen on the forum" section in the anti-mustachian wall of shame and comedy

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #529 on: September 19, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »

True. 

:)  Sometimes I think there should be a "seen on the forum" section in the anti-mustachian wall of shame and comedy

Start a thread.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #530 on: September 19, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »

True. 

Start a thread.

Or not. We don't need to mock and shame other members of our own community.  If they need some gentle face punches in their own threads when requested, cool. Please give them frank feedback. That's helpful to them.

Copy/pasting their posts for the sole purpose of mocking them? That's not helpful, it's just mean.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: September 19, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »

True. 

Start a thread.

Or not. We don't need to mock and shame other members of our own community.  If they need some gentle face punches in their own threads when requested, cool. Please give them frank feedback. That's helpful to them.

Copy/pasting their posts for the sole purpose of mocking them? That's not helpful, it's just mean.
MODERATED!!!

lol

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #532 on: September 19, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »

True. 

Start a thread.

MODERATED!!!

lol
Nah, that's just 'rebs giving his input.  You know you've been MODERATED when he whips out his red pen. :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #533 on: September 19, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »

True. 

Start a thread.

I interpreted the suggestion as a thread where members give their own anti-mustachian experiences inspired by the forums.  For example, if you bought an expensive pressure cooker or something like that based on a mention here.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #534 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »

True. 

Start a thread.

I interpreted the suggestion as a thread where members give their own anti-mustachian experiences inspired by the forums.  For example, if you bought an expensive pressure cooker or something like that based on a mention here.
Ah. I read it as a "seen on the forums" where you post other people's comments you decide are anti-mustachian as a "really???" type thing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #535 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
So like, a compendium of unmustachian things we should all go out and buy?

Jk, sounds like a good idea. You can't get better until you admit you have a problem.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #536 on: September 20, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »
Recently I've been involved in a thread about the financial costs of having your own pool.  The responses seem evenly split between "I'd advise against/had one &never again" and "why not, it's only a few thousand$ each year"

Fair enough. What i've found most interesting thought is to date not one person has asked the OP about his/her finances, and whether s/he is FI for considering such a luxury. I've avoided bringing it up and tried to just answer direct questions about costs given my former occupation as a 'pool boy'.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: September 20, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
The responses seem evenly split between "I'd advise against/had one &never again" and "why not, it's only a few thousand$ each year"

That doesn't even seem as terrible as some other similar discussions we've had here recently. 

Wait, does it also make smoothies?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: September 20, 2017, 09:14:29 AM »
The responses seem evenly split between "I'd advise against/had one &never again" and "why not, it's only a few thousand$ each year"

That doesn't even seem as terrible as some other similar discussions we've had here recently. 

No, so you'll need a second Vitamix for outdoor margarita making.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #539 on: September 20, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »

No, so you'll need a second Vitamix for outdoor margarita making.

Well .  .  . I won't need it, but I'm sure the servants will appreciate one.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #540 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »

True. 

Start a thread.

Eh, you're right, but some people are pretty obstinate in their make-it-rain mentality on here. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #541 on: September 20, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
So like, a compendium of unmustachian things we should all go out and buy?

Jk, sounds like a good idea. You can't get better until you admit you have a problem.

I guess that already exists:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-the-stupidest-thing-you're-lusting-after-right-now/?topicseen

Recently I've been involved in a thread about the financial costs of having your own pool.  The responses seem evenly split between "I'd advise against/had one &never again" and "why not, it's only a few thousand$ each year"

Fair enough. What i've found most interesting thought is to date not one person has asked the OP about his/her finances, and whether s/he is FI for considering such a luxury. I've avoided bringing it up and tried to just answer direct questions about costs given my former occupation as a 'pool boy'.

The difference may be the mustachianness of the owners.  If you do all the maintenance yourself, and don't heat the pool, have an efficient pump on a timer, it might cost $50/month plus some of your time.  IMO that ain't bad if it's something you use regularly and derive a lot of joy.  Of course that ignores the upfront cost, which you can only amortize over about 15 years before it needs bigly work. 

On the other hand, you can spend a hundred per week on a "pool guy"

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #542 on: September 20, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »

The difference may be the mustachianness of the owners.  If you do all the maintenance yourself, and don't heat the pool, have an efficient pump on a timer, it might cost $50/month plus some of your time.  IMO that ain't bad if it's something you use regularly and derive a lot of joy.  Of course that ignores the upfront cost, which you can only amortize over about 15 years before it needs bigly work. 

All decent points. I guess what's surprising to me is that the financial stability of the OP (and others) hasn't even entered into the conversation. In years past I think when someone floated the idea of an ongoing expense that was clearly a non-necessity one of the first questions to come up would be "well, are you already in good financial shape? lots of savings, no crushing debt"?  Now those questions don't seem to come up. To me it's moving more towards the 'YOLO' mentality than 'financial freedom through badassity'.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »

All decent points. I guess what's surprising to me is that the financial stability of the OP (and others) hasn't even entered into the conversation. In years past I think when someone floated the idea of an ongoing expense that was clearly a non-necessity one of the first questions to come up would be "well, are you already in good financial shape? lots of savings, no crushing debt"?  Now those questions don't seem to come up. To me it's moving more towards the 'YOLO' mentality than 'financial freedom through badassity'.

Oh yeah sorry I missed that point.  For some reason I was thinking this was like at work where people typically avoid asking personal financial questions.  But here on these forums?  Yeah totally that should be the first question

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: September 20, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
Oh yeah sorry I missed that point.  For some reason I was thinking this was like at work where people typically avoid asking personal financial questions.  But here on these forums?  Yeah totally that should be the first question
Can you imagine if we talked to our coworkers the same way we talk to each other on the forum.

CW: so I'm thinking about getting a new truck...
Me: New truck? What's wrong with your current truck? Do you even need a truck? What would you use it for and how many times per year? What's your current savings rate? Net worth? Are you already FI?
CW: *backs away slowly*

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: September 20, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Can you imagine if we talked to our coworkers the same way we talk to each other on the forum.

Me: New truck? What's wrong with your current truck? Do you even need a truck? What would you use it for and how many times per year? What's your current savings rate? Net worth? Are you already FI?

Haha. I do talk to co workers like that. I don't talk to my family like that though. My BIL just dropped $50k on a brand new truck.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #546 on: September 20, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »

Haha. I do talk to co workers like that. I don't talk to my family like that though. My BIL just dropped $50k on a brand new truck.

Screw that, I'm talking to ANYONE like that, because it's the truth and the interesting thing to ask!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #547 on: September 20, 2017, 10:28:57 PM »

Not quite so directly or dramatically, but I asked those same questions to one of my coworkers last year regarding his desire to buy a new vs used SUV. His response "Well, if I want my wife to make my life a living hell for 5 years I could buy a used one."

I had no comeback.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:17:31 PM by Travis »

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #548 on: September 20, 2017, 11:01:52 PM »
I understand the sentiment to encourage low impact living, but many younger forum members may find that frugal living, good market returns and an independent lifestyle leave them in a situation with more wealth then they need.

In that situation, a modest luxury, like a pool, should not be a horror.  We should enjoy the fruits of our labor and not feel obligated to donate any spare penny to charity.  This is especially true if one spends wisely (e.g. vacation with full travel hacking, homestays, etc.).  Each of us should be confident enough with our own choices to support well reasoned decisions.  Buy that iPhone 10, if you REALLY want it, can afford it, and the value is worth it to you.

No outside person should judge our individual choices once FI is reached (IMHO).

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: September 20, 2017, 11:45:19 PM »
Today's blog post reminded me of this thread. "Try giving up something you enjoy, and replacing it with something that improves your life."