Author Topic: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?  (Read 61908 times)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
Re: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?
« Reply #600 on: September 23, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Is it just because I grew up with construction workers that I understand the cost of falling off a ladder or is it that you guys have too much faith in ladders? Every single person I know who has done construction work has fallen from a ladder at one time or another. Sometimes the ladder fails, sometimes you slip, sometimes the ground gives. They know what they are doing and there are still accidents. My father is on his 3rd back surgery from a fall during his younger years, my grandfather gave up going up ladders when he was younger because it isn't worth the risk (he's in his 90s and still doing carpentry, so this is a fit experienced person).

I am not saying don't ever go up a ladder. I am saying, always have someone else there and know that eventually you will fall. That's why past a certain point, you should be using scaffolding not ladders, especially not extension ladders. If someone doesn't feel safe going up an extension ladder, they shouldn't do it. My single story house can't have the top of the steeple painted from the ladder I do trust (you will never get me up an extension ladder again, I own an awesome step ladder instead). I helped to build my previous home. I felt that stupid extension ladder shift even on solid footing. No, just no. For painting, scaffolding or a much taller step ladder is the safer bet.

As an engineer who's out inspecting the progress of construction all the time I have to say you know exactly what you're talking about.  Give me a sturdy A-frame, I'm not going up that extension ladder.  The arms in my dad's extension ladder broke off on me as a teenage going to help him on top of the roof. I rode it down until it clamped my feet, the ladder feet slid back and caught something in the ground as the top fell off the eave to the masonry, it flipped upside down, and I somehow dropped down about six feet to the ground without injuring myself all in one maneuver.

In my professional life I've seen no less than two architects fall off of extension ladders. One of them was hospitalized. No thank you.
What are your feelings on aluminum pump-jack systems in lieu of extension ladders?
(Yeah, i aks because that's what I"m using right now...)
You didn't "aks" me, but I think you should not mix using ladders and communication devices. Use them sequentially, not in tandem. Focus, nereo, we like you.
ETA: Ya, I misspelled your name, but I still like you😂
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:59:34 PM by Dicey »
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #601 on: September 25, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
So yet another post goes incredibly soft
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/your-new-phone-will-probably-cost-you-$1-000!

I almost commented on ooeeii's justification on how buying the phone was more environmentally friendly.  I stopped myself as it was pointless.  The sheep are being led to the slaughter every day.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #602 on: September 26, 2017, 02:24:00 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/your-new-phone-will-probably-cost-you-$1-000!

I almost commented on ooeeii's justification on how buying the phone was more environmentally friendly.  I stopped myself as it was pointless.  The sheep are being led to the slaughter every day.
Yea, especially when great smartphones can be had for 200-400$.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #603 on: September 26, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »

I think the iPads are misprinted relative to iPhones.  Compare the specs and price of the iPad mini (cellular) with the iPhone plus.  There’s a very large premium for that phone app!
Wonder if you can jailbreak the iPad to install the phone app

facepalm

• Stubble
« Reply #604 on: October 02, 2017, 10:12:59 PM »

Still too many zeroes.

:-}

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #605 on: October 02, 2017, 11:43:11 PM »

Still too many zeroes.

:-}
I guess, but for something I use every day for 3+ years 200$ is not bad.

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #606 on: October 03, 2017, 02:44:58 AM »

I think the iPads are misprinted relative to iPhones.  Compare the specs and price of the iPad mini (cellular) with the iPhone plus.  There’s a very large premium for that phone app!

Could you install whatsapp/skype or something similar for making calls /texts?

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: October 03, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »

Could you install whatsapp/skype or something similar for making calls /texts?

If you want a real phone number, I use Talkatone. Freetone is another good one. It gives you an actual US phone number that other people can call/text. I have installed them successfully on an iPod. I also use Whatsapp and Skype frequently - but people actually need to be on those platforms to use them.

Currently my DH has an iPhone but has a prepaid data only plan and uses those various apps to call/text on data/wifi. Call quality is not as good but it is dramatically cheaper.
My journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/realigning-spending-to-match-our-future-goals-a-canadian-journey/

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 was everything I dreamed of and more. Super excited that Camp Mustache Canada 2018 is now a thing!

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #608 on: October 05, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »

TL:DR: I see a shift here from a more ERE crowd who were lower earners but saved a ton in order to reachbFI and possibly RE asap to a younger higher earning crowd that saves a lot but also spends a lot.

I feel like the forum has gotten blasted with super high earners in the last year or so. I don't see a pattern with age as much, but I definitely used to feel motivated by and interested in more threads. Now so many conversations are either consumery-y and about buying things (usually things way too expensive for me to ever consider) or just wildly unrelatable (i.e. lots of people saving 60% of income but still spending double or triple what I spend, doing $20k of lawn work, etc).

Of course I think high earners should be welcome here, but it just feels like there's almost not a place for average or lower earning MMM people. There also seems to be a real lack of perspective regarding wealth and income, which makes a lot of conversations unproductive. I always loved how MMM was about being positive and making yourself better and stronger no matter the circumstances, but some of these posts have people saying things like "we're not even that high earning, we only make about $150k a year combined!" It's like, newsflash: you are in the top 3% of the United States. And no, living in a HCOL area doesn't completely erase that, because low income people also live in HCOL areas.

I think this also skews people's ideas of spending because most people here just use savings percentages in casual conversations. It's like, yeah 50% sounds great, but if you're making a huge salary it's really not that impressive or even frugal. So there's this idea floating around here now that being frugal can totally include new cars, remodeling projects, tons of travel, expensive appliances, fancy gyms, spas, and basically a bunch of other trappings of wealth. Just because you can technically afford those things and still save money doesn't make them prudent choices, and it doesn't make the saver someone who really buys into (pardon the pun) a lot of what first attracted me to MMM, which is the philosophy.

And, scene.
I write about my weekly meal preps, saving money in the city while working, and my random thoughts/adventures: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/journey-to-the-center-of-the-'stache/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #609 on: October 05, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
Of course I think high earners should be welcome here, but it just feels like there's almost not a place for average or lower earning MMM people. There also seems to be a real lack of perspective regarding wealth and income, which makes a lot of conversations unproductive. I always loved how MMM was about being positive and making yourself better and stronger no matter the circumstances, but some of these posts have people saying things like "we're not even that high earning, we only make about $150k a year combined!" It's like, newsflash: you are in the top 3% of the United States. And no, living in a HCOL area doesn't completely erase that, because low income people also live in HCOL areas.

I think this also skews people's ideas of spending because most people here just use savings percentages in casual conversations. It's like, yeah 50% sounds great, but if you're making a huge salary it's really not that impressive or even frugal. So there's this idea floating around here now that being frugal can totally include new cars, remodeling projects, tons of travel, expensive appliances, fancy gyms, spas, and basically a bunch of other trappings of wealth. Just because you can technically afford those things and still save money doesn't make them prudent choices, and it doesn't make the saver someone who really buys into (pardon the pun) a lot of what first attracted me to MMM, which is the philosophy.

And, scene.
Yes, yes, 100% yes.  People will claim that ~100k isn't "that much" and it makes me do a double take every time.  GF and I combined make a bit above my area's household median, which is more like $60k, and it still feels to me like we make silly amounts of money.  It's all about perspective.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #610 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »

And, scene.
Yes, yes, 100% yes.  People will claim that ~100k isn't "that much" and it makes me do a double take every time.  GF and I combined make a bit above my area's household median, which is more like $60k, and it still feels to me like we make silly amounts of money.  It's all about perspective.

This forum is not at all a representative sample of the US, less yet the world as a whole.  There are plenty of people in some parts of the world that could take that $100k and live what they would consider a pretty decent lifestyle off the $4k SWA.  Cost of living may be cheaper where they are, but not that much cheaper. 

That being said, I don't know why people in the forums are so stuck on frugality.  All the MMM articles are just about cutting out the truly ridiculous wasteful things that don't actually help your happiness.  I don't think many people here are planning on going without luxuries like hot water, 21st century health care, or a cell phone.  That's true frugality. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #611 on: October 05, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »

And, scene.

This forum is not at all a representative sample of the US, less yet the world as a whole.  There are plenty of people in some parts of the world that could take that $100k and live what they would consider a pretty decent lifestyle off the $4k SWA.  Cost of living may be cheaper where they are, but not that much cheaper. 
I should have clarified.  I didn't mean 100k as an amount of money, I meant as a yearly salary.

slappy

• Bristles
« Reply #612 on: October 05, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »

And, scene.

That being said, I don't know why people in the forums are so stuck on frugality.  All the MMM articles are just about cutting out the truly ridiculous wasteful things that don't actually help your happiness.  I don't think many people here are planning on going without luxuries like hot water, 21st century health care, or a cell phone.  That's true frugality.

How is going without healthcare “true frugality”?

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #613 on: October 05, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

And, scene.

He said 21st century healthcare.  You can still take aspirin and get prescriptions.  Just no fancy surgery. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: October 05, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
It's like, yeah 50% sounds great, but if you're making a huge salary it's really not that impressive or even frugal. So there's this idea floating around here now that being frugal can totally include new cars, remodeling projects, tons of travel, expensive appliances, fancy gyms, spas, and basically a bunch of other trappings of wealth. Just because you can technically afford those things and still save money doesn't make them prudent choices, and it doesn't make the saver someone who really buys into (pardon the pun) a lot of what first attracted me to MMM, which is the philosophy.
Thank you, rdaneel0.  Your post is why I visit the MMM forums. 

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #615 on: October 05, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »
So there's this idea floating around here now that being frugal can totally include new cars, remodeling projects, tons of travel, expensive appliances, fancy gyms, spas...

Ah, you haven't been paying attention my friend! This isn't a forum about frugality and intentional hardship. It's a forum about "balance" and "spending your values "!

Also, we have always been at war with Eurasia.
"There cannot be two skies"

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #616 on: October 05, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »

And, scene.

I think my healthcare provider is still stuck in the 1990's.. some regions rurally are stuck in the 1970's...   is that non-21st century "frugality"?   Actually, some of the healthcare that fully qualified and support UN refugees get is better than the healthcare here.   (Thanks Germany and UK for setting that standard...)

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: October 05, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
So there's this idea floating around here now that being frugal can totally include new cars, remodeling projects, tons of travel, expensive appliances, fancy gyms, spas...

Ah, you haven't been paying attention my friend! This isn't a forum about frugality and intentional hardship. It's a forum about "balance" and "spending your values "!

Also, we have always been at war with Eurasia 800$ Vitamix blenders.

Fixed that for you.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #618 on: October 05, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
The lack of perspective from high earners troubles me deeply sometimes. A $100k household income is huge! Yes, one can achieve it with two adults earning $50k (thinking of MMM's 50 jobs article) but that is still totally out of the picture for huge huge numbers of people in first world countries, America included. "It's not that much..." YES IT IS.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »
As one of those high earners, I do understand this, both on the forums and in real life conversations.  I believe I am very cognizant of that and try hard to make sure that I do not make statements of "it's not that much" about either income or expenses.  In case studies and such with those high earners (the $800,000 debt one that was popular lately is one) I point out how one should not justify any expense as "but it's only X% of my take home pay" versus do you even need it, but yes there has been a tendency by many to be more lenient on this.  I think that's a big part of what started this thread to begin with.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: October 05, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
As one of those high earners, I do understand this, both on the forums and in real life conversations.  I believe I am very cognizant of that and try hard to make sure that I do not make statements of "it's not that much" about either income or expenses.  In case studies and such with those high earners (the $800,000 debt one that was popular lately is one) I point out how one should not justify any expense as "but it's only X% of my take home pay" versus do you even need it, but yes there has been a tendency by many to be more lenient on this.  I think that's a big part of what started this thread to begin with.

For this reason it's impossible for me to give much advice at work or with my friends since I'm the second highest earner in my organization and make as much as my three best friends combined.  It's easier if I just don't mention money to anybody around me except with you all.  Even if the advice is logical or sought out by that person, I've found they don't want to hear it from someone who is much more financially secure than they are.
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #621 on: October 05, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »

For this reason it's impossible for me to give much advice at work or with my friends since I'm the second highest earner in my organization and make as much as my three best friends combined.  It's easier if I just don't mention money to anybody around me except with you all.  Even if the advice is logical or sought out by that person, I've found they don't want to hear it from someone who is much more financially secure than they are.
I find this sort of thing true even at lower income levels.  My girlfriend and I make about double what her sister and sister's boyfriend make (we make just over median, and they make about half of median), but they scorn any money-saving advice thrown their way.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #622 on: October 05, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »

I find this sort of thing true even at lower income levels.  My girlfriend and I make about double what her sister and sister's boyfriend make (we make just over median, and they make about half of median), but they scorn any money-saving advice thrown their way.
I would agree.  Even earlier in my career, when people asked for advice when you provided anything that contradicted the spend, spend, spend ads on TV, it made no sense to them.  "Why would you want to do that?"  What they usually wanted was how to get the best deal on whatever it was they wanted to get, not to hear how there would be other alternatives that were less expensive or that perhaps they could forgo it entirely and just save so they could do something better later.  Delayed gratification is always the enemy no matter how little money you have.

When I do give advice I usually stay away from income.  Obviously people at work know my position and understand I make a lot, but others are less aware.

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #623 on: October 05, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »

Ha, yeah. Reminds me of something my husband said to me once when we were first dating. We were talking about his brother and sister-in-law, who have a big fancy house and lots of expensive stuff in it, and he was telling me his brother was lamenting how long it had been since they've been on vacation (they are self-employed and own their own very successful business). I remarked on how nice their house is and said, "I don't get why they don't just go on vacation if they want to. They clearly have the money." Husband said with a smirk, "No, they had money."

Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

gerardc

• Bristles
« Reply #624 on: October 05, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
I point out how one should not justify any expense as "but it's only X% of my take home pay" versus do you even need it, but yes there has been a tendency by many to be more lenient on this.  I think that's a big part of what started this thread to begin with.

Why not? If X% is small enough, it does become negligible. If you spend 18% of your take home pay, and increase it to 22% (yes, these are my actual numbers), why would it matter? You're FIRing in <3 years anyway, so adding 2.5 weeks of work per year isn't much. You need to understand the reality of high-earners. They don't have time to be frugal and waste time savings pennies. They can solve a problem by throwing money at it and FIRing 1 hour later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm able to be VERY frugal if I put my mind to it, but that shit takes time and energy, sometimes. It's fun, and I may do that after FIRE, but for now it makes so much more sense to focus on channelling the gravy train while it's there.

The point of this MMM philosophy is that you're aware of the time you trade for money, aka Your Money or Your Life, i.e. you don't want to spend $5k on a toy if it takes your 6 months of drudgery to save that amount. BUT you do want to spend $5k to eliminate a major 6-month long inconvenience if it takes you 2 weeks to save that. Same philosphy, different application from low earner to high earner.

It may be that a high salary makes you somewhat complacent, I'm not sure... but then again, excess always does.

MustachioedPistachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #625 on: October 05, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »

Yes yes YES!

Savings percentages perhaps should shift to Enough percentages. "Am I at 100% Enough? What could possibly bring me more Enough?" Alas, that begs the question. Percentages need sound philosophical pilings.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #626 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
I point out how one should not justify any expense as "but it's only X% of my take home pay" versus do you even need it, but yes there has been a tendency by many to be more lenient on this.  I think that's a big part of what started this thread to begin with.

Why not? If X% is small enough, it does become negligible. If you spend 18% of your take home pay, and increase it to 22% (yes, these are my actual numbers), why would it matter? You're FIRing in <3 years anyway, so adding 2.5 weeks of work per year isn't much. You need to understand the reality of high-earners. They don't have time to be frugal and waste time savings pennies. They can solve a problem by throwing money at it and FIRing 1 hour later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm able to be VERY frugal if I put my mind to it, but that shit takes time and energy, sometimes. It's fun, and I may do that after FIRE, but for now it makes so much more sense to focus on channelling the gravy train while it's there.

The point of this MMM philosophy is that you're aware of the time you trade for money, aka Your Money or Your Life, i.e. you don't want to spend $5k on a toy if it takes your 6 months of drudgery to save that amount. BUT you do want to spend $5k to eliminate a major 6-month long inconvenience if it takes you 2 weeks to save that. Same philosphy, different application from low earner to high earner.

It may be that a high salary makes you somewhat complacent, I'm not sure... but then again, excess always does.

Part of the MMM philosophy is to use your money and time wisely to buy your freedom. The other part is to stop destroying yourself and the planet. The latter part applies no matter how much you earn. See the post about % of Enough - enough is enough. And we all get the same 24 hours in each day. Low earners don't have time to be frugal either but they do it because they have to and because they're badass.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #627 on: October 06, 2017, 03:54:34 AM »

shelivesthedream made some good points about the philosophy.
I'd add that its your response is merely an excuse wrapped up in flawed logic.  Its purpose is, to be blunt, self-justification, one of the most powerful mental forces we have, and a dangerous one at that.  I sometimes refer to this kind of justification as the "so called 'plight' of the high earner".   There's also a non-trivial amount of financial elitism buried in there, that cost-efficiency is something for 'poor' people but is somehow beneath us wealthy folks. We delude ourselves into thinking a purchase is such a small portion of our income its negligible, or that our time is so valuable we can't be bothered to lose a few hours doing something ourselves vs. contracting it out. The former isn't true because all money has an absolute and cumulative value (see the 'latte effect' or buying lunches effect).  The latter makes assumptions that we are already 100% efficient, that we'd use any time save to work more (kind of against the grain of this forum) and that we gain nothing from undertaking these tasks ourselves.

Finally, I'll just add that if you think this forum is about extreme frugality, you're missing the point and there's a difference between being frugal and cheap.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »
So neoreo addressing gerardc's point is very similar to my view.  First, I want to address the fact that gerardc's response seems to come at me from a point of I do not understand how a high earner thinks.  I certainly do, as I said I'm a high earner myself, but then I deviate to neoreo's line in that I do not fall into the excuse that "that shit takes time and energy" as you determine where to avoid paying someone to do something you're totally capable.

The flawed logic is that as a high earner my time is somehow more valuable than someone elses, and it is while I'm at work.  But as we are talking about in another thread about if long hours are needed to be successful, you don't need to be a your job for insance amounts of hours.  In fact I'd argue, because I've done it myself for over two decades, that to be a high earner you do not need to work more than a blue collar 9-5er.  Therefore I have the same amount of non-work time as the low earner who by necessity must be more frugal than I HAVE to be.  So at this point the view that it's not not worth it becomes and excuse to be lazy.  Sure I can pay a landscaping company $20/week to mow my lawn.  After all the $1,000/year that costs is just 0.5% of my annual income so why bother.  neoreo pointed out what I'm getting at here.  You're not going to use that time you free up to work and make more money.  You're making that trade off to sit on your ass and/or do something you find fun.  We all love fun.  Let's have fun, but let's not justify that we can have fun because we're rolling in cash and so we can make that choice and try to align that in anyway with a MMM viewpoint.  You can say increasing your spend by 4% of your take home is negligible but don't try to say that aligns with MMM in any way.  It's spendypants if you do not need that extra expense.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #629 on: October 06, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
Work hours are going to be dictated by industry and company culture. They aren't the same from industry to industry or firm to firm. I am making more money at my current job working fewer hours. The only way to succeed in Last Job was to plow in 60+ hour weeks...that's despite doing the same function at both firms.

Other anecdotes:
1. A married couple friend have one working in Law, working 50-60 hour weeks, and one working in IT at a health system, working 40 hours a week. The guy makes more.
2. Mother has had the same position at her company for a decade+. Changed 5 or so years ago from a 40 hour per week job to a 60 hour per week job.
3. Friend is a manager at a large marketing firm. She was moved from a functional team to a dysfunctional team (with expectation to fix it) and her hours went from 40 hours a week to 60-70 hours per week.
4. Friend the architect has the same XP: His last job he didn't even have enough to do. At his first job, he regularly was putting in 70-80 hours per week.

All qualify as high-earners now (well I don't), and all have had some sprints with crazy hours. Well, except for the IT guy.

AccidentialMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #630 on: October 06, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »

Given MMM's stats about how many software engineers there are in the US and how many of them potentially read his site, unscientific as that article may have been, that's to be expected to a degree. You *can* get paid under $100k as a software engineer, but you almost have to try to. By which I mean, want to work in the video game industry, suck at your job/are only in it "for the money", or are fresh out of school.

Not trying to be a dick about it -- that's just what the math says. When BS in CS when I graduated was earning an *average* of 60k+ straight out of school years ago, hitting 100k is simply a matter of time/being better than average/location.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: October 06, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »

Given MMM's stats about how many software engineers there are in the US and how many of them potentially read his site, unscientific as that article may have been, that's to be expected to a degree. You *can* get paid under $100k as a software engineer, but you almost have to try to. By which I mean, want to work in the video game industry, suck at your job/are only in it "for the money", or are fresh out of school.

Not trying to be a dick about it -- that's just what the math says. When BS in CS when I graduated was earning an *average* of 60k+ straight out of school years ago, hitting 100k is simply a matter of time/being better than average/location.

The median salary for a software engineer in Canada is 70k a year.  If you're making 98k or over you're in the 90th percentile of software engineers.  (https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary)  It is higher in the US (median salary being 81k), but you're still going to have to be in the 75th percentile to be making over 100 grand a year.  (https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary)

The vast majority of software engineers must be trying to get paid less?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #632 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »

The median salary for a software engineer in Canada is 70k a year.  If you're making 98k or over you're in the 90th percentile of software engineers.  (https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary)  It is higher in the US (median salary being 81k), but you're still going to have to be in the 75th percentile to be making over 100 grand a year.  (https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary)

The vast majority of software engineers must be trying to get paid less?
Also, I'm not a software engineer (though not too far off - I work in IT).  I realize they are disproportionally represented among Mustachians but that hardly means a given member should be expected to be a software engineer.

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: October 06, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »
Interesting turn to the discussion.

I always thought a big part of Mustachianism is realizing what is "enough". And that it really shouldn't have that much to do with income. If $60k/yr is "enough" for me and my family (that's the number we're at now and it's pretty luxurious and definitely makes me feel "soft"!), then that should stay relatively stable and not inflate based on my salary. So if next year, we make $200k, we should still be spending $60/k. I really don't get % of income as a justification for spending more. Why is "enough" not enough?

Then again, I don't claim to have it perfect. Not all that many years ago, I was a SAHM and we lived luxuriously on $40k/yr) so we have definitely succumbed to a bit of lifestyle inflation. To my mind, that is something to battle against - not celebrate.
My journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/realigning-spending-to-match-our-future-goals-a-canadian-journey/

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 was everything I dreamed of and more. Super excited that Camp Mustache Canada 2018 is now a thing!

PoutineLover

• Bristles
« Reply #634 on: October 06, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Everyone has a different baseline of enough though, and what seems like hardship to one person might be luxury for another. I live on 20k per year(single) and I have everything I need plus I can travel, and I don't feel like I'm lacking anything important. I could even live on less, but I pretty much spend according to my values and don't think it would increase my happiness if I cut out stuff I enjoy, although I do try to save when it makes sense. Not everyone on the forum could or would live the way I do, but it works for me. I don't even know what I would buy if I was spending 60k a year (although I guess for families it's a little different), so some of the case studies on here seem absolutely ridiculous from my perspective. I want to make more just so I can save more and accelerate FIRE, but I'm also really lucky to have discovered MMM before building a lot of fancy spending into my budget in the first place.

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: October 06, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »
Everyone has a different baseline of enough though, and what seems like hardship to one person might be luxury for another.

From a philosophical point of view, I think it's fine for everyone to have a different baseline of "enough". The exact number would depend on your values and circumstances. What I have gained most from MMM and the forum is a different understanding of "enough". I think that is so much more valuable than being able to spend more because you earn more. IMO, your spending should be more divorced from your earning and more in line with your "enough". That said, if your "enough" is higher than your earning, you either need to earn more or figure out a new baseline for "enough"!

The main reason I'm here is to challenge my assumption of "enough" and to get that baseline lower. The general philosophy of consuming less appeals to me. And of course, the side benefits of having more money/requiring less money to live an awesome life is also very appealing.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: October 06, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
Everyone has a different baseline of enough though, and what seems like hardship to one person might be luxury for another.

From a philosophical point of view, I think it's fine for everyone to have a different baseline of "enough". The exact number would depend on your values and circumstances. What I have gained most from MMM and the forum is a different understanding of "enough". I think that is so much more valuable than being able to spend more because you earn more. IMO, your spending should be more divorced from your earning and more in line with your "enough". That said, if your "enough" is higher than your earning, you either need to earn more or figure out a new baseline for "enough"!

The main reason I'm here is to challenge my assumption of "enough" and to get that baseline lower. The general philosophy of consuming less appeals to me. And of course, the side benefits of having more money/requiring less money to live an awesome life is also very appealing.

It is bad to experience hardship.  The hardship that you experience in many cases is directly linked to how you think about what's happening, not what's happening.  You can't always control your circumstances, but you can control how you think about them.

Conditioning yourself to be satisfied with less should be a goal that everyone pursues, it will only increase your happiness.

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #637 on: October 06, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »

Nah, I think I've been paying attention :) I think this forum did used to be more about frugality, and I recall quite a few posts about stoicism and intentional discomfort. That said, I don't think frugality and intentional hardship are synonymous. Since when is not going to spas or having a fancy new car a hardship?
I write about my weekly meal preps, saving money in the city while working, and my random thoughts/adventures: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/journey-to-the-center-of-the-'stache/

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #638 on: October 06, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
Re: "having" to work long hours as a high earner... Have you not heard of FU money? That is the entire point of it, that you can say no to crazy long hours that the paycheque to paycheque folks have to accept.

ixtap

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #639 on: October 06, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »

Nah, I think I've been paying attention :) I think this forum did used to be more about frugality, and I recall quite a few posts about stoicism and intentional discomfort. That said, I don't think frugality and intentional hardship are synonymous. Since when is not going to spas or having a fancy new car a hardship?

Even stoicism is relative. I can't tell you the number of people who have told us they couldn't live like we do, yet we don't feel like we suffer in any way and are trying to figure out how to cut a few more thousand from our annual spending.

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #640 on: October 06, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »

And, scene.

I disagree with your definition of frugality. I think frugality is about cutting out truly ridiculous wasteful things, but everyone defines wasteful differently. The idea of reaching "enough" is, in my opinion, a key aspect of frugal living and high saving. I also think a key missing component is optimization. I recall past conversations here, even among very high earners, about driving down costs in certain areas, learning to diy, or going without things simply in an effort to optimize and outsource less. . Going without hot water (which is inexpensive to get in the first place) is not optimization, neither is not getting a surgery you really need.

On a separate note, I don't think the MMM forum has ever been representative of most people in the country or the world. Overall, it has always been a high income group, but the ethos was a bit more diy, frugal, optimization-facing and general anti-complainypants than it is now. There seemed to be a little more awareness about how most people live.

I started here as a minimum wager years ago, and I could tell there were loads of high earners, but the advice I got from them and many of the threads were still applicable to my life. I didn't feel like I couldn't even add anything to the conversation or like the threads were just totally unattainable high earner/high consumer slanted. Ironically I make a lot more money now, but feel I fit in here even less than I did before!

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: October 06, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »
Re: "having" to work long hours as a high earner... Have you not heard of FU money? That is the entire point of it, that you can say no to crazy long hours that the paycheque to paycheque folks have to accept.

These people should be looking for other jobs, and in most cases have, but it takes a substantial amount of time to find a new job. It took me a good 9 months to make a good transition, and that's with >5% unemployment. One of my friends recently lost his job and spent his entire 3 month PIP time and another 2 months to find a new job that still works him crazy hours...he's already looking for a new job (started a month ago).

I wouldn't advise anyone to quit a job without another job lined up. A 6 month resume gap is something that can count as a black mark against you for decades.  I suppose it's different in different industries, but I wouldn't take the risk.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #642 on: October 06, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »

I disagree with your definition of frugality. I think frugality is about cutting out truly ridiculous wasteful things, but everyone defines wasteful differently. The idea of reaching "enough" is, in my opinion, a key aspect of frugal living and high saving. I also think a key missing component is optimization. I recall past conversations here, even among very high earners, about driving down costs in certain areas, learning to diy, or going without things simply in an effort to optimize and outsource less. . Going without hot water (which is inexpensive to get in the first place) is not optimization, neither is not getting a surgery you really need.

just thought I'd throw this out there:
frugal just means displaying some skill and good judgement in the way you spend your money – and thus it is a mark of status far greater than conspicuous consumption - MMM

link here: frugal vs. cheap.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #643 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »

yeah, erm.   Lots of ego in this note.   DH works programming for a small manufacturer in industrial sensors.  Makes $60k.   Not saying that he couldn't make more (15 years ago, he topped $125k/yr, which would be more today), just that there are reasons beyond the facile list that you put here.  Where you live being one of them.  Having a job for 35 hours a week that you can bike to, that lets you buy and run 3D printers as an experiment in R&D is another.   The primary one really is that his industry is not programming for office software, but industrial manufacturing, at a small business locally.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:18:47 PM by Goldielocks »

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #644 on: October 06, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »

just thought I'd throw this out there:
frugal just means displaying some skill and good judgement in the way you spend your money – and thus it is a mark of status far greater than conspicuous consumption - MMM

link here: frugal vs. cheap.

Agreed.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
I wouldn't advise anyone to quit a job without another job lined up.

Isn't that exactly the point of this forum, though? 

Aren't we all desperately looking forward to the day we quit a job without another one lined up?

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: October 07, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »

Aren't we all desperately looking forward to the day we quit a job without another one lined up?

And again, the entire point of FU money is that you can do that and be fine. 6 months without a job is only a gap if you tell it like that. "I took six months off to travel/write a novel/work on my house" is purposeful, and with your FU money you won't stink of desperation.

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #647 on: October 07, 2017, 04:34:23 AM »
Wow, just wow. I love this blog it radicalised my financial life and redefined my social existence. Forum wise I mostly read the journals and selectively read the general topics. I randomly clicked this topic as I feel that Mr Money Mustache has reached the end of his blog topics and its up to people in their communities to take up the baton and create their mini mustache real life communities. To the people talking shit in this thread they should take the time to eat a bag of dicks and consider exactly where their negativity is coming from. Seriously, regardless of where I started from, or my circumstances, Mr Money Mustache has been nothing but a positive financial influence on my life.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #648 on: October 07, 2017, 07:32:02 AM »

Yeah, but if I had FIRE money, I'd quit my job even if it was only 40 hours a week. Hell, I'd quit it if it were 20 hours a week. If I wanted to be there, they wouldn't have to pay me.

shelives,
I don't know how it works in different industries, but in corp accounting/finances, I don't think anyone would take you seriously if you said you took 6 months off for anything other than taking care of family members. Upper management is heavily drawn from people who fell out of the tournament at the Big 4 accounting firms. So the pedigree they are looking for is "I worked 60-70 hours a week for years on end."

This culture filters down to the lower levels and filters to the rest of the organization, to some extent.

If unemployment is low, your chances are still pretty good as long as you are competent. If we are in another recession, or a multi-year jobless recovery, a large number of hiring managers will auto-DQ you JUST for having a resume gap, and then you're taking a crap shoot if the manager likes your excuse for taking a 6 month break. You will also be in competition against many people who do not have those resume gaps. I might be biased, because I graduated in the middle of the Great Recession. All of us started off making $7-8/hour in crappy collections jobs. We didn't have full-time jobs for years. My mindset is entirely about never going through that ever again.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
Wow, just wow. I love this blog it radicalised my financial life and redefined my social existence. Forum wise I mostly read the journals and selectively read the general topics. I randomly clicked this topic as I feel that Mr Money Mustache has reached the end of his blog topics and its up to people in their communities to take up the baton and create their mini mustache real life communities. To the people talking shit in this thread they should take the time to eat a bag of dicks and consider exactly where their negativity is coming from. Seriously, regardless of where I started from, or my circumstances, Mr Money Mustache has been nothing but a positive financial influence on my life.
great post, dusty! Thanks.