Author Topic: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?  (Read 33849 times)

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?
« Reply #450 on: September 04, 2017, 05:39:05 AM »
Why pay even $5? When I visited Canada, I got an RV relocation very cheaply, but it didn't include bedding or kitchen stuff (they would have been $160 extra). I went to the local thrift, and got everything I needed (cutlery, plates, knife, wooden spoon, saucepan, fryingpan, microwave big bowl, cutting board, towels, sheets, eiderdown... ) for less than $10. I have gone camping before and bought similar stuff at a local thrift - they all have quite a variety. Of course, if you want a matching set, you need to go elsewhere. pay down your sodding debt and then think about such wildly indulgent fanciness.

FTFY ;-)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #451 on: September 04, 2017, 06:09:18 AM »
Why pay even $5? When I visited Canada, I got an RV relocation very cheaply, but it didn't include bedding or kitchen stuff (they would have been $160 extra). I went to the local thrift, and got everything I needed (cutlery, plates, knife, wooden spoon, saucepan, frying pan, microwave big bowl, cutting board, towels, sheets, eiderdown... ) for less than $10. I have gone camping before and bought similar stuff at a local thrift - they all have quite a variety. Of course, if you want a matching set, you need to go elsewhere.

Depends on the thrift store, depends on the day - I have had amazing luck, and also walked out empty-handed.  I think I paid $5 for my crock-pot, but that took more than one visit.  $3 for my Melitta carafe and cone filter holder.  $10 for a super stock pot (originally from Ikea, $40).  These were Montreal and Ottawa, where were you shopping?  But yes, no need to buy new and fancy.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

slappy

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: September 04, 2017, 06:19:55 AM »
On MMM today:

I just saw a post to OP asking where to buy essential oils (for less).
One poster suggested buying them while on vacation in Bali because they are so cheap there.  !!!
---------------------
Another OP looking for cooking and meal planing tips as they don't really cook much now and want to get rid of $20k in cc debt...   
Posters suggesting all sorts of good ideas, but most involving a need to first purchase an instaPot, crockpots, special to go mugs with lids, etc... 

I don't think the way to save $300 off your food bill because you used to have a spending problem is to first buy an InstaPot $100+.

Especially when it is being bought using credit card funds at high interest rates.

$5 saucepan from target and a stove top. There. Sorted.

To be fair, one person did call them out on not be able to "buy their way out of debt". 

WhiteTrashCash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #453 on: September 04, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
Why pay even $5? When I visited Canada, I got an RV relocation very cheaply, but it didn't include bedding or kitchen stuff (they would have been $160 extra). I went to the local thrift, and got everything I needed (cutlery, plates, knife, wooden spoon, saucepan, fryingpan, microwave big bowl, cutting board, towels, sheets, eiderdown... ) for less than $10. I have gone camping before and bought similar stuff at a local thrift - they all have quite a variety. Of course, if you want a matching set, you need to go elsewhere.

When I moved to the Flatlands, I had two ceramic plates, two sets of cheap eating utensils, one mug, two ceramic bowls, and two wooden bowls. I purposefully rented a room from Craigslist that came with a shared kitchen with pots and pans included (and a microwave) and when I moved in, I scrubbed and sanitized every pot and pan and surface in the entire kitchen and I was easily able to prepare all my meals for cheap. All for only $525/month. The sharing economy is wonderful. I saved so much money.

It's helpful to have things like crockpots, bread machines, deep fryers, etc., but they aren't really necessary. Those are really for when you own your own house with a kitchen and you want to reduce meal prep time so you can work a side hustle (which is what I do). I never understand the people who say to buy expensive kitchen appliances at retail, because there is absolutely no need for it. This is why Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, yard sales, etc. exist. So you can get super-cheap stuff for far below retail price (and often tax-free if your state doesn't have a use tax.) I got a bread machine for $30 when it retailed for $120 brand new and a deep fryer for $17 when it retailed for $25 brand new.

FINate

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: September 04, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
It's helpful to have things like crockpots, bread machines, deep fryers, etc., but they aren't really necessary. Those are really for when you own your own house with a kitchen and you want to reduce meal prep time so you can work a side hustle (which is what I do). I never understand the people who say to buy expensive kitchen appliances at retail, because there is absolutely no need for it. This is why Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, yard sales, etc. exist. So you can get super-cheap stuff for far below retail price (and often tax-free if your state doesn't have a use tax.) I got a bread machine for $30 when it retailed for $120 brand new and a deep fryer for $17 when it retailed for $25 brand new.

Agree, not necessary. Crockpots are nice for starting a meal before work that's ready on return. But these days I prefer to braise and stew using a dutch oven, which means I can brown proteins and build up a really nice flavor on the stovetop and finish in the oven for 3-4 hours. IMO the flavor is way better than the crockpot meals. Also use the dutch oven for baking sourdough loaves, made by hand and way more delicious than any machine produces. Admittedly this only works for us because we are FIRE and have the time/flexibility to start and/or attend to dishes in the middle of the day when most people are at work.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #455 on: September 04, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »
Ah, yard sales - when I left Ex I was basically starting my kitchen from nothing.  I have 4 Henckel steak knives, $5 at a yard sale.  Auctions/estate sales are good too, since it is a whole household being sold.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: September 04, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
Yard sales are the best! Dangerous for me though as I am a bit of a shopaholic/pack rat and have a hard time resisting a killer deal. So I limit the number of yard sales I go to :) Still, hitting up yard sales and thrift stores are amongst our favourite date activities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
Right now yard sales/thrift stores are off limits.  I am trying to cut down on stuff,not accumulate more. But when you need them they are great (think Tony the Tiger GRREEAAATTTT!)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
On MMM today:

One poster suggested buying them while on vacation in Bali because they are so cheap there.  !!!
---------------------
Another OP looking for cooking and meal planing tips as they don't really cook much now and want to get rid of $20k in cc debt...   
Posters suggesting all sorts of good ideas, but most involving a need to first purchase an instaPot, crockpots, special to go mugs with lids, etc... 

I don't think the way to save $300 off your food bill because you used to have a spending problem is to first buy an InstaPot $100+.

Especially when it is being bought using credit card funds at high interest rates.

To be fair, one person did call them out on not be able to "buy their way out of debt".

There was a time when I read literally every post on this message board.  That was years ago. Now I can barely keep up with my "unreadreplies" threads.  I guess I'm really missing out on new ways to buy essential oils

spartana

• Stubble
« Reply #459 on: September 04, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
On MMM today:

---------------------

To be fair that post was from super frugal Jo-Jo and she didn't say you should go to Bali to get oils but that you should look for them if you are on vacation somewhere as they might be much cheaper. She merely mentioned that she happened to pick some up cheap in Bali while travelling (which she does frugally).
Retired at 42

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: September 04, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
On MMM today:

---------------------

To be fair that post was from super frugal Jo-Jo and she didn't say you should go to Bali to get oils but that you should look for them if you are on vacation somewhere as they might be much cheaper. She merely mentioned that she happened to pick some up cheap in Bali while travelling (which she does frugally).

I know, but without the backstory, the post could have been read by the general guest as an endorsement for Bali travel, too, as a way to save money...  espeicially as the OP was simply looking for an answer like "here is a link to make your own"... "go to walmart"... etc.

spartana

• Stubble
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:40 PM »
On MMM today:

---------------------

I know, but without the backstory, the post could have been read by the general guest as an endorsement for Bali travel, too, as a way to save money...  espeicially as the OP was simply looking for an answer like "here is a link to make your own"... "go to walmart"... etc.
That's true. Lots of new members here that could take her Bali post wrong. Personally I think she should have paid $12k to get her private pilots license, then $100k to buy a small plane, then a few thousand for fuel to fly herself to Bali to but discounted oils. DIY MMM style! Or maybe hit a local Head shop (do they still have those) and but some Patchouli oil cheap ;-).
Retired at 42

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #462 on: September 04, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »
On MMM today:

---------------------

That's true. Lots of new members here that could take her Bali post wrong. Personally I think she should have paid $12k to get her private pilots license, then $100k to buy a small plane, then a few thousand for fuel to fly herself to Bali to but discounted oils. DIY MMM style! Or maybe hit a local Head shop (do they still have those) and but some Patchouli oil cheap ;-).

LOL! Now that's the way to optimize that $12K pilot's license expense! Fly to Bali for some essential oils! (they were thinking of going there anyhow)

Certainly better than the poster who thought a $15K Disney vacation for the family was "a pretty good deal". There are no words.

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #463 on: September 04, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
There was a time when I read literally every post on this message board.  That was years ago. Now I can barely keep up with my "unreadreplies" threads. 

You really fucked up by posting in the baby chat thread then..

I guess I'm really missing out on new ways to buy essential oils

Aside from looking up what essential oils are (I think I've decided that olive oil counts), I also had to look up some celebrity divorce or other to understand a forum thread
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #464 on: September 05, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
On MMM today:

---------------------

There was a time when I read literally every post on this message board.  That was years ago. Now I can barely keep up with my "unreadreplies" threads.  I guess I'm really missing out on new ways to buy essential oils

Dude . . . they're called essential because you can't live a life without them.  Obvs.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #465 on: September 05, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
I'm grumpy because my latest post generated a whole lot of "You're crazy. That's not realistic. I need my comforts. Blah, blah, blah." I'm about to go over to ERE. More manageable volume of posts and people who will actually challenge me. Bah humbug.

Optimiser

• Bristles
« Reply #466 on: September 05, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
I'm grumpy because my latest post generated a whole lot of "You're crazy. That's not realistic. I need my comforts. Blah, blah, blah." I'm about to go over to ERE. More manageable volume of posts and people who will actually challenge me. Bah humbug.

I thought about doing the same thing, but it seems kind of dead over there. Maybe I just didn't look around enough.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #467 on: September 05, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
OK, looking at your post it seems you asked for people to agree with you (at least in the way it's worded) and then are upset because they did?!  Were you testing the waters to see if the community had gone soft so you intentionally set out a topic that ended with "Seems like a good expense to me!"?

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »
This thread was timely. My DH decided he is more on board than he used to be right around when I started reading this.

I'll never be hardcore but this puts me in a place to be hardercore than usual.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »

I thought about doing the same thing, but it seems kind of dead over there. Maybe I just didn't look around enough.
The grass is always greener somewhere else until you get there.  Then again on the ERE forum the grass may be dead because they do nothing to care for it, or perhaps they felt grass was too much of an expense.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

Start a thread here! "The ERE side of MMM" type thing. I bet you would attract a lot of interested parties. Just make clear that it's for people who lean more that way, if you like your creature comforts don't bother joining, and then you've got a good group with similar values to share tips/ideas/thoughts with, within an already active community. (Plus, I think people would lurk and learn things even if they are far from ERE, so it would benefit the forums as a whole!)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »
I had to LMAO when I went over there and saw Jacob's post on the front page from September 4th explaining how $170 pressure cooker was a justified expense for his minimalist kitchen.  Seems even ERE may have gone soft.  As I said, grass is always greener.....until you get there..... and scroll to the bottom of the home page.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #472 on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
I had to LMAO when I went over there and saw Jacob's post on the front page from September 4th explaining how $170 pressure cooker was a justified expense for his minimalist kitchen.  Seems even ERE may have gone soft.  As I said, grass is always greener.....until you get there..... and scroll to the bottom of the home page.

dios.del.sol, it seemed like most people responded constructively to your post -- do you just expect nobody to disagree with you?  FWIW I also like sleeping in a bed, and they don't have to be expensive.

caracarn, that ERE post was originally posted a decade ago.  In other words, Jacob has always had that pressure cooker.  I wonder if he still has and uses it 10 years later.  If so, it might very well be justified.  I'm pretty sure he chose it because the manufacturer is dedicated to making the replaceable seals available for eternity.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #473 on: September 05, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »

dios.del.sol, it seemed like most people responded constructively to your post -- do you just expect nobody to disagree with you?  FWIW I also like sleeping in a bed, and they don't have to be expensive.

caracarn, that ERE post was originally posted a decade ago.  In other words, Jacob has always had that pressure cooker.  I wonder if he still has and uses it 10 years later.  If so, it might very well be justified.  I'm pretty sure he chose it because the manufacturer is dedicated to making the replaceable seals available for eternity.
Yes, I saw that but on the hardcore end of badassity I do not think that would matter.  Isn't that the point of the bed post to which I responded?  The intent was not to discuss an affordable bed, but to drive to not having a bed (pressure cooker) at all.  I was just pointing out that even on ERE they buy things they would be considered sacrilege.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #474 on: September 05, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
Link to Jacob's pressure cooker post?

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #475 on: September 05, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Oh, it's a blog post, not a forum post. Found it!

https://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-minimalist-kitchen.html

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #476 on: September 05, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »
Oh, it's a blog post, not a forum post. Found it!

https://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-minimalist-kitchen.html

Also, this:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/a-tribute-to-my-pressure-cooker.html

(so by now it could be 16 years old, also it could fall under the "I bought it before I developed my full frugality" exception MMM likes to use)

Of course,, there are less expensive pressure cookers out there, including the extremely popular Instant Pot

and in action:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/cooking-for-6-days-in-30-minutes-for-less-than-4.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:24:39 PM by dragoncar »

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #477 on: September 05, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
I'm slightly confused about the pressure cooker thing. If you want to cook under pressure, what's the alternative, make your own pressure cooker? That seems like a recipe to have something blow up
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: September 05, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
I'm slightly confused about the pressure cooker thing. If you want to cook under pressure, what's the alternative, make your own pressure cooker? That seems like a recipe to have something blow up

Right? And they save electricity by shortening the cook time, so they literally do have a break even point, even if you don't count things like "more likely to eat at home while still working a full schedule" and the like.

ERE =/= never buying anything expensive.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #479 on: September 05, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »

Thanks for the reality check. Indignance is now dialed down a few notches. I was reacting to a minority of the posts, but they rubbed me the wrong way. Not a good habit on the interwebs.

Not sure what I was expecting - probably just sentiments along the lines of: "doing things for your SO is smart in the grand scheme". Certainly I wasn't expecting the few posts of the form "X is comfortable, therefore X is justified". Catheters and bedpans anyone?

ERE - I lurk. Never posted. They tend to digress into philosophical rabbit holes quite a bit. I'm not sure I have the time to keep up with their intensity!

Here, though. So hard to keep up with the sheer volume!

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #480 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »

Right? And they save electricity by shortening the cook time, so they literally do have a break even point, even if you don't count things like "more likely to eat at home while still working a full schedule" and the like.

I guess my only (negative) take on the pressure-cooker thing is that these things seem to be a dime-a-dozen at every flea market, swap meet and second-hand store. You don't need to spend $170 on a new shiny model when you can find plenty of functional ones for $20 or less.  Kuhn is a luxury brand within the culinary world - not really having commerical-level durability nor a competitive price point - but pretty to look at.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 05, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »

I guess my only (negative) take on the pressure-cooker thing is that these things seem to be a dime-a-dozen at every flea market, swap meet and second-hand store. You don't need to spend $170 on a new shiny model when you can find plenty of functional ones for $20 or less.  Kuhn is a luxury brand within the culinary world - not really having commerical-level durability nor a competitive price point - but pretty to look at.

Okay, that's fair, I didn't know the particulars. I assumed it was an electric version that worked with his RV (didn't he live in an RV for a while?) or a fancy one that works on induction if he uses an induction hob, something like that. I tend to assume the best of people though, and I probably shouldn't so often!

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »

Okay, that's fair, I didn't know the particulars. I assumed it was an electric version that worked with his RV (didn't he live in an RV for a while?) or a fancy one that works on induction if he uses an induction hob, something like that. I tend to assume the best of people though, and I probably shouldn't so often!

My response to it all is "meh".  I'm certainly not an ERE type, and I'll admit to having several expensive component to my fairly compact kitchen. I think its just interesting how the 'power of self-justification' can lead someone to do something that objectively they'd probably be against.  In this case paying ~$200 for something when sub $30 alternatives exist. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »

My response to it all is "meh".  I'm certainly not an ERE type, and I'll admit to having several expensive component to my fairly compact kitchen. I think its just interesting how the 'power of self-justification' can lead someone to do something that objectively they'd probably be against.  In this case paying ~$200 for something when sub $30 alternatives exist.

Who are you talking about?  If Jacob, I don't know if he's objectively against all unnecessary expenses (or no luxuries ever)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #484 on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »

Ditto.

Now I only check in every few months, and do massive skims and "mark all read."

This check in (after a few month gap) I actually marked some of my "unread replies" ones as read without reading them for the first time.

Glad that the forum has grown so much though--a lot of people are kicking ass, and improving their lives. It's great!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #485 on: September 13, 2017, 11:34:21 PM »
Glad that the forum has grown so much though--a lot of people are kicking ass, and improving their lives. It's great!

It's a lot less great if you actually still live here.  Virtually everything I used to love about this place is gone, and that includes rebel spies.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #486 on: September 14, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »

It's a lot less great if you actually still live here.  Virtually everything I used to love about this place is gone, and that includes rebel spies.

Awwww <3.

Don't worry, once you FIRE, you find yourself spending way less time here. Just hard to fit it into a FIRE'd life.  You're, what, a year or so away?  :)

There's still some kickass posts when I pop in. Some old members drop off, then newer people come around like Maizeman step up with some awesome analysis.

But it's likely true that the signal to noise ratio is much lower.

A lot more people with a 50% savings rate is better than a much smaller group with a 75% savings rate.

We can all push ourselves to be a little more badass though. Definitely.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

spartana

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: September 14, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »

You mean the 26 year old who makes $400k an hour and buys a new yacht every month and wonders what the heck is wrong with all of us frugal types  here didn't inspire you to give up saving and spend instead? I mean yolo!  I guess you just don't get it ;-).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:37:46 AM by Lazy_Spartan »
Retired at 42

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:09 AM »

The problem (which has always plagued internet discussion boards that experience growth) is that a decline in the signal-to-noise ratio can become self-reinforcing, because the more the noise starts to drown out the signal, the more likely it becomes for signal-producers to decide that it's no longer worth the effort to contribute.  I hope the forum can continue to grow and remain a place of high value, but it's possible that we're now in the early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: September 14, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

The problem (which has always plagued internet discussion boards that experience growth) is that a decline in the signal-to-noise ratio can become self-reinforcing, because the more the noise starts to drown out the signal, the more likely it becomes for signal-producers to decide that it's no longer worth the effort to contribute.  I hope the forum can continue to grow and remain a place of high value, but it's possible that we're now in the early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

I also wonder how much can be attributed to being largely without a rudder.  Pete's off doing his thing and rarely even writes blog postings anymore. Arebelspy is busy with his globetrotting and only occasionally pops in.  There's enough traffic for this forum to be keep popping up on google searches but the more senior posters can't make a big dent in the volume of posts being made.

Like any large ship that loses steering we seem to keep heading in roughly the same direction - for a while - but ultimately we just wind up going in large, lazy circles.

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #490 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

So.... The top is in? Great, I'll call my broker!
"There cannot be two skies"

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #491 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »

I also wonder how much can be attributed to being largely without a rudder.  Pete's off doing his thing and rarely even writes blog postings anymore. Arebelspy is busy with his globetrotting and only occasionally pops in.  There's enough traffic for this forum to be keep popping up on google searches but the more senior posters can't make a big dent in the volume of posts being made.

Like any large ship that loses steering we seem to keep heading in roughly the same direction - for a while - but ultimately we just wind up going in large, lazy circles.

Excellent analysis! We need Pete and Joe!

(When I was growing up in Louisville, KY, there was a radio show called "The Pete and Joe Morning Show" on WDJX.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #492 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

So.... The top is in? Great, I'll call my broker!

Don't try to time the market.  Buy and hold. 

But if you do sell, I'll give you $1/thousand posts

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #493 on: September 15, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
I've noticed a few good facepunches recently. Lhamo gave one in all caps about car payments in a case study. Gave me a warm fuzzy.

I've always refrained from diving into giving advice here, like someone said upthread, because I don't feel like I'm an expert. But maybe I'll chime in on the case studies more to encourage/punch newbies.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:18:41 AM by Basenji »

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #494 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
I've always refrained from diving into giving advice here, like someone said upthread, because I don't feel like I'm an expert. But maybe I'll chime in on the case studies more to encourage/punch newbies.
Yeah, everyone likes to punch the new kid...
:-P

slappy

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: September 15, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
I've noticed a few good facepunches recently. Llamo gave one in all caps about car payments in a case study. Gave me a warm fuzzy.

I've noticed some lately as well. Frankiesgirl has had some great posts. Another person actually posted a picture of a facepunch.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #496 on: September 15, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
I've noticed a few good facepunches recently. Llamo gave one in all caps about car payments in a case study. Gave me a warm fuzzy.

I've noticed some lately as well. Frankiesgirl has had some great posts. Another person actually posted a picture of a facepunch.
That's funny. During the same time, I gave a whiny newb a suggestion of a facepunch and she complained to the mods. Several weeks later, she's all but disappeared. When I saw lhamo's CAPS, read FG's pithy responses, and saw the facepunch meme, I cheered.

Don't call the coroner just yet. The collective mind is far from life support.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #497 on: September 15, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
Yeah, I've been losing my patience a lot lately.....
Wherever you go, there you are

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: September 15, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Anyone have a link to the posts discussed above with Lhamo & Frankiesgirl?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »
Anyone have a link to the posts discussed above with Lhamo & Frankiesgirl?

Gladly. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/case-study-$800-000-in-debt-and-where-to-start/msg1696431/#msg1696431

I'm forgetting which one had the actual facepunch picture though, but it also was pretty fantastic.