Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951463 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2700 on: October 28, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »
Sorry, NotJen and to anyone going thru this.

I also have another almost 17 year old dog who is pretty rickety on his legs but great appetite. On a few drugs. He will turn 17 in December and hope he makes it. I am not looking forward to that last day either.

This has never been easy but it seems the older you get, the harder it is to accept. At least for me.

Enough of this...back to topic. Thanks all!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2701 on: October 28, 2020, 09:37:06 AM »
Roadrunner, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog friend. :(

Last night I made soup with andouille sausage and some various bits from the garden - tomato, little eggplants, a zucchini, and a little bit of leftover chicken, and a batch of habanero almond flour muffins. We'll be eating leftovers of that tonight.  Soup season makes it so easy to use up random ingredients.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2702 on: October 28, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
No cooking today, but I did just finish baking a batch of pumpkin scones.  Hello holiday baking!

I'll have a big green salad (made a batch on Monday) topped with pulled pork (leftover from last night) for lunch, and maybe avocado toast for dinner, since there's half an avo in the fridge.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2703 on: October 28, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
Split pea soup, I think. It's chilly, and something I can pop on the stove and let simmer for a while sounds like a good idea.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2704 on: October 28, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
Good idea on the split pea soup! I have a stash of split peas and some frozen ham. But tonight we are having steak.

It is very chilly here today, soup sounds so good!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2705 on: October 28, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
A roasted chicken (Ina Garten's engagement chicken recipe), roasted butternut squash, and probably some roasted broccoli with shaved asiago.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2706 on: October 28, 2020, 04:47:39 PM »
It's a smorgasbord of lots of things in small portions (steak, chicken), with a baguette. There may not be enough protein for everyone, so I may have soup & baguette + salad

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2707 on: October 28, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
The smitten kitchen lentil, sausage, and kale soup, with odds and ends of toast. Our neighbor with a huge garden picked all his chard before we got sub-zero temperatures and 10 inches of snow, and he left us a bag, which went into the soup perfectly.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2708 on: October 29, 2020, 05:58:04 AM »
Split pea soup, I think. It's chilly, and something I can pop on the stove and let simmer for a while sounds like a good idea.

So it ended up being a very busy workday. Husband cooked and made baked salmon, sauteed zucchini, and rice pilaf. Today looks to be much the same and we're already planning takeout.

We'll save the soup for Saturday night, when we're both off and home.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2709 on: October 29, 2020, 05:58:48 AM »
The smitten kitchen lentil, sausage, and kale soup, with odds and ends of toast. Our neighbor with a huge garden picked all his chard before we got sub-zero temperatures and 10 inches of snow, and he left us a bag, which went into the soup perfectly.

Yum. I love greens in soup, and chard is one of my very favorites.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2710 on: October 29, 2020, 07:21:14 AM »
I think chard is my favorite cooked green.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2711 on: October 29, 2020, 07:37:48 AM »

Mine too. And it's one of my favorite salad greens. It's fantastic with a lemony vinaigrette, pickled red onions, a bit of feta, and some chopped nuts (and maybe a few dried cherries). That plus grilled fish or chicken was one of our regular meals this summer.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2712 on: October 29, 2020, 07:49:15 AM »

I used to get vitamin greens from my CSA some years - yum!  They are the sweetest green.  Chard is a close second favorite - I have a Rick Bayless taco recipe that is pretty great (basically just chard, onion, and garlic).

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2713 on: October 29, 2020, 07:59:59 AM »
Now I will spend my day daydreaming about chard cooked in browned butter and garlic

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2714 on: October 29, 2020, 08:09:14 AM »
Beloved SO is visiting for a few days so I'm roasting a turkey + carrots + peas + mashed potatoes w/ gravy.

For dessert I'll have vanilla ice cream w/ chocolate chips and BSO will have raspberry yogurt.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2715 on: October 29, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
We're going to try making one of our favorite shrimp recipes with tofu tonight.  Fingers crossed it's not a huge disappointment.  It's baked with tomatoes and feta and a sprinkle of mint on top. 

We have soooo many shrimp recipes we love (garlic shrimp, green mole shrimp, shrimp scampi, shrimp with a complicated lemongrass sauce...) but we feel like we shouldn't eat shrimp quite as often as we'd like to make these recipes, so we need to rotate in substitutes. 

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2716 on: October 29, 2020, 09:13:30 AM »
Braised Cabbage with Sausage, and perogies... yummy Ukrainian comfort food!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2717 on: October 29, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »
Continuing on the cabbage thread, the Smitten kitchen roast chicken with schmaltzy cabbage: basically a roasted chicken cooked on a bed of cabbage, which becomes oily and caramelized and delicious. 

I also took an axe to our 10-lb blue hubbard squash (the rind was pretty thick, and I couldn't get a knife in) and roasted half, of which we ate almost half. The rest is already in the freezer, waiting to be part of squash quesadillas...

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2718 on: October 29, 2020, 10:36:39 PM »
We're going to try making one of our favorite shrimp recipes with tofu tonight.  Fingers crossed it's not a huge disappointment.  It's baked with tomatoes and feta and a sprinkle of mint on top. 

We have soooo many shrimp recipes we love (garlic shrimp, green mole shrimp, shrimp scampi, shrimp with a complicated lemongrass sauce...) but we feel like we shouldn't eat shrimp quite as often as we'd like to make these recipes, so we need to rotate in substitutes.

This turned out well.  Probably not a surprise to better cooks than I.  I rarely get creative, so this was a win.  But a great recipe - sauteed shallots and garlics, adding lots of tomatoes till they get juicy and break down, then put sauteed, seasoned tofu on top, then a layer of feta and a sprinkle of oregano. Bake for 10-15 at 400, and sprinkle mint before serving.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2719 on: October 30, 2020, 05:36:14 AM »

This turned out well.  Probably not a surprise to better cooks than I.  I rarely get creative, so this was a win.  But a great recipe - sauteed shallots and garlics, adding lots of tomatoes till they get juicy and break down, then put sauteed, seasoned tofu on top, then a layer of feta and a sprinkle of oregano. Bake for 10-15 at 400, and sprinkle mint before serving.

Wow, that sounds amazing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2720 on: October 30, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »
I am going to make okonomiyaki, Japanese cabbage pancakes, for the first time. Recipe will be a mixture of budget bites and my mushroom book.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2721 on: October 30, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
Thai coconut shrimp curry over rice.  Broccoli on the side.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2722 on: October 30, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
Fall meatloaf made with turkey, whole cranberry sauce, stuffing...

Saw it on The Kitchen on the Food Network. This will be the first time making it

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/fall-meatloaf-9441072

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2723 on: October 31, 2020, 09:30:53 AM »
I’m making shepherd’s pie with veg from our garden.  I like to use half turnips and half potatoes for the mashed topping.  It’s a bit creamier than straight potatoes. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2724 on: October 31, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
Fall meatloaf made with turkey, whole cranberry sauce, stuffing...

Saw it on The Kitchen on the Food Network. This will be the first time making it

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/fall-meatloaf-9441072

Well, made this last night and right away there was something wrong with the recipe. It was too soupy to form into a loaf. I had to add a lot more stuffing to it before it could be formed. It was pretty good. I might make it again but stuffing is off by many cups!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2725 on: October 31, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Baked or smoked chicken wings and roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes. Also probably a bit more of the Delice de Bourgogne and basil-garlic Gouda that we just picked up from the fancy cheese counter in Eastern Market (big downtown Detroit’s market district).

I have a big pile of apples and haven’t decided whether to make applesauce or apple crisp for dessert.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2726 on: November 01, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »
I purchased a 10-lb or so blue hubbard squash a week ago. It's the stuff that's actually in most cans labelled "pumpkin", and is delicious.  Turns out it also has a very hard rind, once it gets that big.

So, I took it out to the back deck, put it on a cutting board, wiped off the blade of a small axe and went for it. Cut in half, it just barely fit on the largest baking sheet we had, so I cooked each half at 350 for an hour or so, until the flesh was tender and easy to scoop out.

This evening, we had squash quesidillas -- corn tortillas, a layer of mashed squash, some roasted poblano strips, a little jack cheese, fry in a barely oiled pan until crispy. They're a special request form our kid, and are delicious.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2727 on: November 02, 2020, 08:13:33 AM »
Continuing on the cabbage thread, the Smitten kitchen roast chicken with schmaltzy cabbage: basically a roasted chicken cooked on a bed of cabbage, which becomes oily and caramelized and delicious. 

I also took an axe to our 10-lb blue hubbard squash (the rind was pretty thick, and I couldn't get a knife in) and roasted half, of which we ate almost half. The rest is already in the freezer, waiting to be part of squash quesadillas...

After reading this comment and finding the recipe, I made the Roast Chicken on Schmaltzy cabbage last night and it was a divine concoction of comfort food.  I added some potatoes and carrots to the pan, but really, they were not needed. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2728 on: November 02, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »

After reading this comment and finding the recipe, I made the Roast Chicken on Schmaltzy cabbage last night and it was a divine concoction of comfort food.  I added some potatoes and carrots to the pan, but really, they were not needed.

I want to make one last Aldi run before the shit hits the fan tomorrow, and I just added a whole chicken and cabbage to my list. We are in desperate need of comfort food and this sounds amazing.

We had split pea soup last night. I'm using meat from Friday's rotisserie chicken to make a big bowl of curried chicken salad. The leftovers will make a good portable cold lunch at the polls tomorrow.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2729 on: November 02, 2020, 12:05:07 PM »
I made budget bytes smoky roasted sweet potato and garlic butter cod, with another white fish. Together with broccoli.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2730 on: November 02, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »
Tonight is chicken fajitas

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2731 on: November 02, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »
Huge pot of vegetable tomato soup. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2732 on: November 02, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »

I want to make one last Aldi run before the shit hits the fan tomorrow, and I just added a whole chicken and cabbage to my list. We are in desperate need of comfort food and this sounds amazing.

We had split pea soup last night. I'm using meat from Friday's rotisserie chicken to make a big bowl of curried chicken salad. The leftovers will make a good portable cold lunch at the polls tomorrow.

Thank you for being there tomorrow! If I could send cookies (GF, right?) I definitely would!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2733 on: November 02, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »
Probably some leftover curry I made on Friday night.

I've got some leftover rotisserie chicken (mostly bones now) from Costco that I need to use up, but the weather is too damn warm to heat up the place making stock. However I bought the chicken on Thursday so if I don't do it now, it'll need to be thrown out. Hopefully I can just put the bones in the freezer until later this week when it's cooler.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2734 on: November 03, 2020, 01:53:51 PM »
Curry with chickpeas, cauliflower, onion, ginger, bell peppers and green beans, served with basmati rice

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2735 on: November 03, 2020, 02:16:13 PM »
Chili over rice

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2736 on: November 03, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »
I found a short rib recipe that I used a pot roast instead. I had no short ribs. It should be delish!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2737 on: November 03, 2020, 07:41:06 PM »
Chili over rice

Also chili, with slaw and corn tortillas.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2738 on: November 04, 2020, 06:58:02 AM »
https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-creamy-sun-dried-tomato-pasta/

With home made pasta that I need to start making soon.

I also baked Naan bread to eat with other dishes some other day. I put the bread in the freezer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 03:41:20 PM by Linea_Norway »

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2739 on: November 04, 2020, 07:17:16 AM »

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2740 on: November 04, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »
Pinto bean, kale, quinoa and cheese burritos.  Glazed apples on the side.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2741 on: November 04, 2020, 05:23:37 PM »
Steamed artichokes, braised cabbage, and a rather experimental meatloaf. I had ground beef and a couple large bratwurst that have been in the freezer for awhile, so I took them out of the casings and mixed with the beef and added in sauteed veggies and topped with BBQ sauce.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2742 on: November 04, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »
Macaroni and cheese and roasted zucchini. Comfort food sounded most appealing.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2743 on: November 05, 2020, 07:37:17 AM »
Chicken curry with lots of veggies & rice

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2744 on: November 05, 2020, 11:36:17 AM »
Butternut squash stuffed shells (https://rachelschultz.com/2013/10/08/butternut-squash-ricotta-stuffed-shells/).  I'm excited to try this!  Severing with asparagus, and maybe a the last few green beans left in the fridge from last week.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2745 on: November 06, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »
I think tonight is a chicken with schmaltzy cabbage kind of night.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2746 on: November 06, 2020, 07:56:49 AM »
I might do that too

Also beers. Long week, gonna need several beers

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2747 on: November 06, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
https://www.budgetbytes.com/balsamic-roasted-mushrooms-with-herby-kale-mashed-potatoes/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-creamy-sun-dried-tomato-pasta/

With home made pasta that I need to start making soon.

I also baked Naan bread to eat with other dishes some other day. I put the bread in the freezer.

I won't do this again with fresh pasta. The pasta stuck together in several places and there was not enough water to cook it easily. The dish as a whole tasted okay. Next time, I will cook the pasta or rice separately. Yes, it creates more dirty dishes, but gives you more control that it gets cooked well. I also checked now how much "a cup" really is in the meatric system, which was about twice as much as I expected. Although I did add quite a lot of extra water to the pasta dish.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2748 on: November 06, 2020, 04:08:42 PM »
Coq au Vin

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-coq-au-vin-recipe

This is the first time I have made this and I threw it together today. I have not eaten it yet but just tasted the broth and it is to DIE for. SWOON...!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2749 on: November 06, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
I hate to be the lone dissenting voice here but I found the chicken with schmaltzy cabbage highly underwhelming. 6/10 recipe at best. If I just winged it I would have ended up with a better dinner.