Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951402 times)

turketron

• Pencil Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2650 on: October 07, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
Picked up some clearance chicken thighs (like $0.60/lb) at the grocery store last week, and we got some parsnips in our CSA so planning to make this recipe with parsnips instead of the carrots, it's one of our go-to recipes: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/one-skillet-roasted-sesame-chicken-thighs

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2651 on: October 07, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
Arugula salad with chicken & garlic bread

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2652 on: October 07, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »
Tamale pie with kale salad

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2653 on: October 08, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
Goat cheese gnocchi with wilted spinach and carmelized onions. Bit of a workout for a weeknight, but we squeezed in making the dough late afternoon between zoom calls, then let it cool. After work, we pulled it together and served with roasted cauliflower.

The cauliflower was kind of a poor choice because the dinner was very monochromatic. But our taste buds and bellies didn't know the difference!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2654 on: October 09, 2020, 11:54:09 AM »
We're having leftover bolognese pasta, with caprese salad because we have all the tomatoes

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2655 on: October 09, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
Last night was lentil-vegetable soup. Tonight depends on whether husband visits his friend or not. If not, I might make Ottolenghi's turkey-zucchini meatballs. If yes, I'll be on my own and will probably have a fried egg, tater tots, and spinach salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2656 on: October 09, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »
Homemade guacamole and pork rinds, and a can of smoked oysters tonight. 

I'll be off work for the next several days and will certainly get my cooking mojo back.  I'm thinking:

Saturday: Chicken eggplant panang curry with zucchini noodles
Sunday: Oxtails & mushrooms braised in red wine, over cauliflower rice
Monday: Chorizo stuffed peppers and kale salad

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2657 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
DH is making cauliflower soup with French, blue cheese and parmesan-like cheese.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2658 on: October 10, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »
We have a bunch of leftover feta and basil that I didn't have a plan for, so we're gonna sneak a night of pasta into our plans: linguine with basil, feta and lemon juice + zest.  Served with leftover braised greens from our weekly takeout night.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2659 on: October 10, 2020, 10:16:32 AM »
I bought some seasoned ground chicken on sale a few weeks ago, so tonight I'm making Thai chicken bowls - chicken, rice, cabbage, roasted broccoli, some quick-pickled veggies, green onions, and cilantro.  And probably a peanut sauce to drizzle on top.

(On a side note, we've been eating a bunch of chicken up in here lately - hoping pork tenderloin or pork chops are on sale next week!)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2660 on: October 11, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »
Last night I made "Mack and Jeezy", a mac and cheese recipe from Terry Crews (yes, that Terry Crews).  Used cottage cheese and sharp cheddar, very easy and prep was quick.  I liked it, my son thought it was "weird", but also liked it. 

Tonight is stroganoff and trying to get motivated to make a small apple cake.  My property was an apple orchard 100+ years ago, but turns out apples don't grow well at that elevation with the short season.  It's mostly pine and fir now, but I have a handful of very old apple trees remaining, and some still produce fruit.  Only about 12 small apples were within reach (one had a big bird or worm-hole, and got tossed on the ground for the deer).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2661 on: October 11, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »
Last night we had cauliflower and black bean tacos, with all kinds of vegetable sides: avocado, sliced tomatoes, (canned) pickled jalapinos, pickled onions, fresh cilantro and sliced radishes.

Tonight we decided to celebrate the fact that I've cooked the last 580 or so meals by ordering out for BBQ. The order's placed (the restaurant has been known to run out of meat...) and I'll probably supplement with a salad, and perhaps a dessert. Hmm, and some toast or rolls: I just realized that I think we ordered meat (and sides) without bread.

Maybe also potato salad?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2662 on: October 11, 2020, 12:44:49 PM »
We have some squash so I'm making the Inner Warmth Peanut Stew -- https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/the-great-dane-inner-warmth-peanut-stew-1236084.   Thanks @turketron!  Except due to a peanut allergy we're substituting sunflower seed butter.  We'll see!

Also homemade buttermilk biscuits.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2663 on: October 11, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »
Tonight we decided to celebrate the fact that I've cooked the last 580 or so meals by ordering out for BBQ.

Man, thinking about it in those terms is... kind of cool and kind of depressing. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so I guess we'll just order a bunch of takeout from a local place we used to semi-frequent, in the before-times. 

Off to get the Panang chicken curry going in the Instant Pot with homegrown eggplant and peppers.  At least we have handy appliances to make the work easier these days.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2664 on: October 11, 2020, 05:04:36 PM »
Tonight we decided to celebrate the fact that I've cooked the last 580 or so meals by ordering out for BBQ. The order's placed (the restaurant has been known to run out of meat...) and I'll probably supplement with a salad, and perhaps a dessert. Hmm, and some toast or rolls: I just realized that I think we ordered meat (and sides) without bread.

Maybe also potato salad?

The BBQ places by us always have good potato salad, so I hope you opted for it!

I worked today so husband is making cottage pie (shepherd’s pie, but with ground beef).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2665 on: October 11, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
I'm making a keto adapated parmesan chicken & the salad. My 13 year old is making a zucchini flatbread to go with it (for carb eaters)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2666 on: October 12, 2020, 06:53:24 PM »
Rice casserole with chicken, broccoli, cauliflower,and sharp cheddar. Good comfort food.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2667 on: October 12, 2020, 07:36:00 PM »
Taco slaw (like egg rolli n a bowl, but taco themed), guacamole, & pico de gallo

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2668 on: October 14, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »

Maybe also potato salad?

The BBQ places by us always have good potato salad, so I hope you opted for it!

I worked today so husband is making cottage pie (shepherd’s pie, but with ground beef).

I actually made the potato salad, which was pretty good, especially considering that I had to start by making the mayo, since we don't keep any around... (NWEdible mayo instructions for the win, thank you Erica, wherever you are out there.)

Last night, we had https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/, which was just as delicious as I remembered. Everyone loved it, and requested that it go back into the rotation. We'll see how long I can get decent eggplant, though...

Tonight: hmm. We still have a lot of little containers of bbq sauce, so I may make a batch of chili and dump them all in?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2669 on: October 16, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
Tonight: Mark Bittman's "Cassoulet with many vegetables", which really barely resembles cassoulet, but is still delicious. It's going to go into a slow oven before we head over to friend's house for (socially distant) beers, so should be ready when we get back.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2670 on: October 16, 2020, 05:07:49 PM »
We're having spinach salad with grilled salmon, tiny potatoes (from the last CSA share of the season), feta, and lemon-dill vinaigrette (dill also from the CSA share).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2671 on: October 17, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Chuck roasts were on sale when I stopped at the store yesterday, so I think I'm going to slow cook one down into a barbacoa-type situation and make some coleslaw and cheesy refried beans on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2672 on: October 17, 2020, 11:53:33 AM »
I think we're having Budget Bytes slow cooker chicken & dumplings

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2673 on: October 17, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »
Chuck roasts were on sale when I stopped at the store yesterday, so I think I'm going to slow cook one down into a barbacoa-type situation and make some coleslaw and cheesy refried beans on the side.

That sounds delightful, and I will be over shortly.

Our evening plans got canceled (pumpkin carving with another COVID-careful couple, who called off tonight because their toddler has a fever). Husband is looking through cookbooks and plotting.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2674 on: October 17, 2020, 03:09:46 PM »
We don't eat much meat but tonight I made roast pork (as it was on sale) with apple sauce, gravy, roast potatoes and onions and brussels sprouts.  It was delicious and husband also really liked it but both kids turned up their noses at it, including the one who normally likes meat. 

For lunch we has pasta with eggplant and steamed spinach on the side.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2675 on: October 17, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
I bought an eggplant on Friday’s shopping trip with no plans, so I’ve got half an eggplant stuffed with garlic and topped with olive oil and salt in the toaster oven right now.  I’ll eat it with a side salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2676 on: October 19, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
Last night was parmesan-herb-crusted tilapia and chard salad with dill vinaigrette.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2677 on: October 19, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
Steak tacos & salad

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #2678 on: October 19, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
Leftover turkey and trimmings. We did up 2 turkeys this week - one we shared with my sister, so we're eating the remains of that. The other went into the freezer. For $1/lb, we took advantage - our freezer is full of meat and broth!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2679 on: October 20, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
Leftover turkey and trimmings. We did up 2 turkeys this week - one we shared with my sister, so we're eating the remains of that. The other went into the freezer. For $1/lb, we took advantage - our freezer is full of meat and broth!

Yum! We did a HUGE turkey for Thanksgiving for just my family - and we now also have a freezer full of turkey and broth.

Yesterday was soup (Barley, Lentil, Sausage - with Turkey Broth) , Today is Quesadillas, and Tomorrow Turkey Bolognese.

Also on the plan for the next few weeks: Turkey Enchiladas, Turkey soup with dumplings, and Turkey Noodle Mushroom Casserole.

What plans do you have for leftovers?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2680 on: October 20, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
My planner says that tonight's dinner is supposed to be soup beans (black beans cooked with leftover pulled pork/fat, onions, garlic, cilantro, and spices) over brown rice. We'll see if that actually happens.

Edit: I got my shit together and actually cooked a planned meal on a weeknight (this has been a bit spotty since starting the new job last month). Victory!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:01:45 PM by OtherJen »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2681 on: October 20, 2020, 11:12:21 AM »
Chili with side salads.  The weather punked me though - it was supposed to be cooler this week when I purchased groceries and made plans - but today's high is over 80!  Oh well - I will still enjoy it even if it isn't "chili weather" this week.

I can't wait for turkey to go on sale (it hasn't that I've noticed since around Easter) - I made a really good pot pie with the leftovers in the spring that I would like to make again.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2682 on: October 20, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
We actually overbuy on turkey, shred/dice the leftovers and freeze it in one-pound (to one and a half pound) ziplocks in the freezer. Then we use it for soups and stews all winter (and sometimes into the spring) whenever we're intending to have poultry. It's nice to not have too many turkey meals in a row.

(We make stock from the roasted bones, obviously, and freeze that as well.)

Pozole, with turkey stock and turkey meat is delicious!

Tonight: I just threw some beef stew into a slow oven. I'm planning to go for a walk with a friend (if the smoke eases up), so it'll be great to have a warm stew to return to.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2683 on: October 20, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
We have taco leftovers, so a combo of ground beef & steak tacos, with cabbage, tomatoes & cheese

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2684 on: October 20, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »

That sounds delightful, and I will be over shortly.

And it was! For two dinners and another lunch.  I had DH pick up two more because I thought my pending purchase of a beef quarter had fallen through.  Of course the rancher got back with me the next day that the beef will be ready at the end of the week. So more pot roast will be happening this week! It will be getting cold, so I think I'll go with old school beef stew with celery, potatoes and carrots. 

Tonight was roasted chicken night, but I also had the last of the eggplants from the garden to use up, as well as some homemade apricot chutney.  Browned the chicken in the Dutch oven with some onion, then smothered it with chutney, added the eggplant chunks and lots of Indian spices and slow cooked the whole thing for 3 hours.  For a side we had cauliflower with peas and more Indian spices.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2685 on: October 21, 2020, 08:17:11 PM »
"Polenta" (it was closer to cheese grits) with cauliflower in a spicy, garlic-y tomato sauce, with leftover beef stew from last night. And the last of the lemon poppy-seed cake.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2686 on: October 22, 2020, 03:01:33 AM »
Been looking more and more for meatless Heart Healthy Meals and made this Healthy Mexican Casserole with corn and peppers last night. Was good served with avocado and cilantro ,dash of sourcream light.

https://pinchofyum.com/healthy-mexican-casserole-roasted-corn-peppers

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2687 on: October 24, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »
Sweet potato black bean burgers.  The original plan was to make pulled pork, but yesterday morning I realized I don't have any bacon (I use it to line the bottom of the crock pot), so instead of not using it or making a special trip to the store, I decided I could make veggie burgers out of ingredients on hand.  I'll serve with roasted brussels and some baby potatoes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2688 on: October 24, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »
Last night: Budget Bytes' curried chickpeas with spinach over rice. Replaced the spinach with bok choy because we got it on both the last CSA share and last weekend's Hungry Harvest box.

Tonight: roasted butternut squash, purple potatoes (both Hungry Harvest), turnips, and fennel (both CSA), with a side of kielbasa.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2689 on: October 24, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
Last night: Budget Bytes' curried chickpeas with spinach over rice. Replaced the spinach with bok choy because we got it on both the last CSA share and last weekend's Hungry Harvest box.

Tonight: roasted butternut squash, purple potatoes (both Hungry Harvest), turnips, and fennel (both CSA), with a side of kielbasa.

Tonight's dinner sounds both delicious and beautiful.

We have a winter storm moving in, so we fired up the oven to "incinerate" and made a whole bunch of pizzas. We had salad on the side, as the lettuce that I bought in the last power-stockup-trip is among the vegetables that needs to be used first. (Brussels sprouts can wait a few days, cabbage and carrots will hold nearly indefinitely, if you're playing along.)

(We are now the proud owners of somewhere in the 40-50 lbs of flour range, although it's worth noting that we bake bread several times/week, and plenty of other flour-y stuff. And we also have enough beans to not have a bean-purchasing emergency until sometime in December. Our case numbers are increasing here in Hippistan county, and I'm not feeling positive about what's going to be going on the first week in November, either.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2690 on: October 25, 2020, 11:55:39 AM »
I made a lentil wok dish with red lentils, carrots, self picked mushrooms (Russula), spring onion, eggplant, tomatoes and a box of cream.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2691 on: October 25, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »
My husband is cooking tonight, and making Persian beef kebabs, tadiq (crusted rice) & a yogurt/cucumber sauce, plus grilled tomatoes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2692 on: October 27, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »
Pulled pork, okra, and green beans.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2693 on: October 27, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
Pulled pork, okra, and green beans.

Num! We ran out of steam about 1 pm today, and ordered out BBQ for lunch. Pulled pork sandwich (elvis-style, with coleslaw on the sandwich) for the win!

Tonight we're having salmon cakes with couscous salad (with loads of veggies in it, including edamame and red peppers, along with golden raisins and cashew pieces), probably with roasted little sweet potatoes. And maybe some other vegetable...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2694 on: October 27, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
Ugh, today was a total bummer for me. We had to put one of our dogs down. He was about 14 years old, a cancer survivor. He was on a million pills but I guess his time finally ran out.

I normally make a pretty good dinner but tonight was a no brainer dinner. We are having Schwann's frozen shepherds pie. I just am totally deflated, heartbroken and can't think of anything tonight.

For those of you who have animals, please give them a big hug tonight. They are so much a part of our lives and give us so much without asking very much but a kind word and a pat on the head.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2695 on: October 27, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Ugh, today was a total bummer for me. We had to put one of our dogs down. He was about 14 years old, a cancer survivor. He was on a million pills but I guess his time finally ran out.

I normally make a pretty good dinner but tonight was a no brainer dinner. We are having Schwann's frozen shepherds pie. I just am totally deflated, heartbroken and can't think of anything tonight.

For those of you who have animals, please give them a big hug tonight. They are so much a part of our lives and give us so much without asking very much but a kind word and a pat on the head.

I'm so sorry. That's always so hard, even when it's the right thing to do.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2696 on: October 27, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »

I'm also very sorry for your loss. Pets are so awesome, but it's sometimes tough to love a creature that you know has a much shorter expected lifespan then you, knowing what's going to happen.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2697 on: October 27, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »

I'm also very sorry for your loss. Pets are so awesome, but it's sometimes tough to love a creature that you know has a much shorter expected lifespan then you, knowing what's going to happen.

Ditto that. Totally heartbroken for you.  The unconditional love of pets is like nothing else and is one of my favorite things in this world.  That, good dinners, and sometimes it seems like you don't need anything else at all to be happy.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2698 on: October 28, 2020, 03:25:16 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words. I have gone thru this before and it is never, ever easy.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2699 on: October 28, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »

I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm currently on "quality of life" watch for my last cat, and give her an extra hug every time she jumps up on my lap these days.