Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951382 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2600 on: September 18, 2020, 11:20:23 PM »
I made a big pot of chicken sausage gumbo to last all weekend since I have horse stuff going and don't plan to cook until Monday.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2601 on: September 20, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
Between the CSA share and Hungry Harvest delivery, I had a delicata squash, several red potatoes, very thin celery stalks, a lot of onions, and a bunch of kale. Those plus homemade chicken broth, leftover chicken, some tomato paste, and a can of white beans became last night's dinner soup.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2602 on: September 20, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »
Pot roast, carrots, potatoes, onions, dehydrated onion soup, can of mushroom soup in crockpot.

Perfect dinner for the cooler weather that is upon us now!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2603 on: September 20, 2020, 01:48:01 PM »
Last night was fried catfish tacos with sauteed kale from the garden. Tonight is kidney bean "curry" with rice and roasted brussels.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2604 on: September 22, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »
Tuna salad sandwiches with roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts.  Poor planning at the grocery store this last trip (I only got 1 onion??? everything I make needs an onion!), but I got free bagels at Panera today, so I'm really excited about these bagel sandwiches, even if the sides are unconventional.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2605 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:02 PM »
Creamy stovetop Mac and cheese topped with toasted ground sunflower seeds and garlicky green beans.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2606 on: September 22, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »
Baked Parmesan-crusted tilapia, roasted acorn squash, and chard salad with red onions, dried berries, nuts, feta, and vinaigrette.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2607 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:15 AM »
We'll have leftover tacos tonight. Still have quite a bit of prepped taco meat in the freezer. Will make a quick pico de gallo to go with, and use up the rest of some cilantro. And to tackle the seemingly endless pile of garden tomatoes. I'll be so sad when we have to go back to store tomatoes!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2608 on: September 23, 2020, 07:42:43 AM »
I think tonight will be chili. It's a tasty excuse to use up a 1/2-lb of ground beef, a small eggplant, some delicata squash, a handful of mushrooms, and a few of our excess peppers before they wilt or rot. It's also an experiment to determine whether husband will eat eggplant in a form other than baba ganoush. It would be great if I could use small-diced bits in soups and stews.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2609 on: September 23, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »
I think tonight will be chili. It's a tasty excuse to use up a 1/2-lb of ground beef, a small eggplant, some delicata squash, a handful of mushrooms, and a few of our excess peppers before they wilt or rot. It's also an experiment to determine whether husband will eat eggplant in a form other than baba ganoush. It would be great if I could use small-diced bits in soups and stews.

Just found out my cholesterol is a bit high so in searching for some recipes I made this last night. Only change I made was cut beef to 1lb. It got devoured in one sitting. All 3 kids home liked it and thats unusual.

https://www.momontimeout.com/heart-healthy-slow-cookerchili/

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2610 on: September 23, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »
Tonight making a very healthy version of Tuna Casserole, Garlic Bread kids will eat. Tossed Salad for me and the DW.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2611 on: September 23, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »

Just found out my cholesterol is a bit high so in searching for some recipes I made this last night. Only change I made was cut beef to 1lb. It got devoured in one sitting. All 3 kids home liked it and thats unusual.

https://www.momontimeout.com/heart-healthy-slow-cookerchili/

That does look good! I usually throw whatever meat, veg and beans I have on hand into mine. I hadn't thought to add Worcestershire sauce. Husband would love that.

If you're looking for further fat reduction, try replacing half the beef with turkey Italian sausage. It works really well.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2612 on: September 23, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
Unless I'm going really all out and making a chili with a whole beef chuck roast, I replace all the ground beef with turkey. If you use some soy sauce, some worcestershire, or some miso to boost the umami, you won't miss the beef at all. You can even do mostly turkey plus some chopped mushrooms, grated carrot, or grated zucchini if you want to really reduce the calorie count.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2613 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:01 PM »

The experiment was successful. Husband had no problem with the eggplant (I’m not sure whether he even knew it was there). I’v saving that trick for the next time we get an eggplant in our CSA share or Hungry Harvest box.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2614 on: September 24, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
Yesterday we had bulgogi meatballs, jasmine rice & roasted carrots. Tonight is leftover tacos, as that got bumped from previous night. I need something easy, as we're getting home late. I'll dice avocados, and make a quick pico de gallo to make it a bit more interesting.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2615 on: September 24, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »

The experiment was successful. Husband had no problem with the eggplant (I’m not sure whether he even knew it was there). I’v saving that trick for the next time we get an eggplant in our CSA share or Hungry Harvest box.

Not sure if this is too eggplant-y, but it mostly tastes like sausage: https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2616 on: September 24, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »

Not sure if this is too eggplant-y, but it mostly tastes like sausage: https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/

Thanks! He'd probably be fine with that. Regular eggplant parm is a no-go. The texture of the slices weirds him out. The scooped out and diced inner part is fine if it's mixed with other things (hence, baba ganoush).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2617 on: September 24, 2020, 05:49:53 PM »
Well, it's a thing to do with small-to-medium-sized eggplants, anyhow. And is really quite delicious.

Tonight, we're having a potato, broccoli, white bean, tomato and garlic casserole, layered with goey cheesy layers. I haven't made it since last winter, and am looking forward to it!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2618 on: September 24, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »
Tonight was haphazard onigirazu (basically, sushi sandwiches) or kimbap with brown rice and various other fillings. I was craving nori and salt, and it was a good way to use up a couple of avocados and some leftover veg.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2619 on: September 26, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
Last night I baked some "boneless" spicy chicken wings, and we had that with coleslaw & bread. I don't mind making coleslaw, and making your own cabbage/carrot mix is way cheaper. But, cleaning the food processor is a bit of a hassle. So, tripled the coleslaw mix. As a result, tonight will be eggroll in a bowl. And then another night I'll finish up the coleslaw mix with another round of coleslaw.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2620 on: September 26, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
We finally got a bit of rain overnight, and will have a high in the 60s today, so I'm going to make chili with some of my homegrown NuMex red chiles and butternut squash.  I've been waiting for the weather to cool to make batch of chili!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2621 on: September 27, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »
Tomato and onion tart with a side of baked zucchini chips

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2622 on: September 27, 2020, 08:30:21 PM »
We had crockpot carnitas with pico de gallo & guacamole

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2623 on: September 27, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
Somebody, somewhere (@mm1970 maybe??) mentioned making Peperonata, which I had never heard of. After a little googling, I found a recipe that consisted of ingredients I had on hand. It was delicious! Best of all, my peeps liked it and I made a huge batch, so I have leftovers to look forward to. Whoever it was, I thank you very much.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2624 on: September 28, 2020, 06:28:53 AM »
Tonight I will make a chicken pot pie type dinner with bisquick biscuits on top of the casserole

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2625 on: September 28, 2020, 08:18:57 AM »
Last night, I cooked up some homemade hamburgers on homemade sourdough bread I baked in my handy-dandy bread machine and served it with a side dish of summer squash cooked in olive oil, rosemary, and sea salt. Best thing about the meal: The squash plant sprung up randomly from seeds left in last year's compost, so I didn't even intentionally plant it. Free food!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2626 on: October 01, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »
Made shrimp etouffee for dinner last night (https://www.askchefdennis.com/shrimp-etouffee-recipe/).  It was good, but not great.  Served with roasted broccoli.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2627 on: October 01, 2020, 05:08:04 PM »
Homemade red sauce with ground pork, served over spaghetti squash.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2628 on: October 01, 2020, 05:57:17 PM »
Tonight hasn't been my best planning day. There will definitely be a large veggie salad, and likely some grilled chicken. Maybe with a caprese salad as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2629 on: October 01, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
I made a paleo apple crisp with apples from my tree this afternoon (topping is basically pecans, hazelnut flour and coconut oil).  I munched on it fresh out of the oven, and now I'm finishing it off topped with some coconut cream instead of eating a real dinner.  My husband is going to come home and be horrified that it's all gone.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2630 on: October 01, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
Hey, fruit, nuts -- sounds like close to a balanced dinner to me!

We had some tomatoes that got banged around in my backpack a little yesterday coming home from the farmer's market, so I sliced them and tossed them into a bowl with some olive oil, a little salt, some sliced cucumbers, and a little red wine vinegar. Then I made smitten kitchen's lemon bars (crust is too thick for me, but they're delicious), a couscous salad with a curry vinaigrette and a ton of vegetables along with cashews and golden raisins, and a small batch of little salmon cakes (using canned salmon). Yum!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2631 on: October 02, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »
Hey, fruit, nuts -- sounds like close to a balanced dinner to me!

Probably healthier than dinner from Subway

Tonight I need to make chicken curry because I thawed out some chicken breast at the beginning of the week and it needs to be cooked.  Maybe cauliflower rice to go with it.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2632 on: October 02, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »
Black bean nachos night!   This is a family favorite.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2633 on: October 02, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »
Today I made cooked rice, fried chicken thighs with red curry and stir-fried self found mushroom, red bell pepper and squash with a mango that turned into mango saus, all with red curry paste.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2634 on: October 02, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Baked sweet potatoes topped with black beans, sour cream, and home made salsa and hot sauce

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2635 on: October 02, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
Burrito bowls: rice topped with homemade refried pinto beans, pork taco meat, sauteed peppers, salsa, avocado.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2636 on: October 02, 2020, 08:08:14 PM »
Grilled pork chops with slow-cooked onions, red cabbage, and apples, and baked potatoes (sweet and yukon golds). Poached pears in red wine for dessert, but no one's interested yet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2637 on: October 02, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
Butter chicken, couscous and baked parmesan zucchini rounds

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2638 on: October 03, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
White wine chicken stew (https://www.thecookierookie.com/white-wine-chicken-stew/) with spinach salad.  It's a little more involved than I usually go for, but hopefully worth it.  It smells amazing right now!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2639 on: October 03, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »
Homemade breakfast sausage patties, oven fries, and scrambled eggs.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2640 on: October 03, 2020, 07:49:44 PM »
Homemade pizza, with a side of roasted broccoli (hey, the oven was on anyhow). We had leftover dough, so finished up with an apple-cinnamon pizza, just to use everything up. Delicious!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2641 on: October 03, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
Pizza night for us too! Cheesy broccoli was really good...I think because I put more broccoli than we've done before. Feta, olive, prosciutto worked out well, though just slightly on the salty side, as you might be able to guess. Basil / garlic was the last. DH always has to have a relatively plain one, and I guess that's fine as it saves us from having to come up with more topping ideas (or allows us to rotate the standbys better).

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #2642 on: October 03, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »
I made turkey tetrazzini for the first time.   Tomorrow I'm planning on shepherd's pie with (decadently) double the ground lamb.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2643 on: October 04, 2020, 08:20:45 AM »
I made turkey tetrazzini for the first time.   Tomorrow I'm planning on shepherd's pie with (decadently) double the ground lamb.

FYI, if you want to go more spartan (and cheaper) at some point in the future, red lentils basically disappear into shepherd's pie, and the lamb is usually strong-tasting enough to be the biggest flavor.

I wrote up a menu for the week yesterday, but haven't yet decided what we're having tonight. Maybe posole?  I picked up plantains, so maybe tostones with black bean salsa? I'd prefer to make a more involved dinner tonight, since I'll have company.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2644 on: October 04, 2020, 08:58:35 AM »
Husband thawed a pork shoulder last night and asked about our potato supply this morning. I'm working all day, so I assume those ingredients will become dinner. I'll probably make a big green salad on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2645 on: October 06, 2020, 02:32:55 PM »
Chicken pozole, with cheese, slaw, sliced radishes, and cilantro to sprinkle on top.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2646 on: October 06, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »
Chicken sausage soup with kale and white beans, stock/ tomato base. Comfort food!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2647 on: October 06, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »
Bolognese with lots of veggies, fresh parsley & basil. Three diners will have that over pasta, the other over cauliflower rice

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2648 on: October 07, 2020, 07:02:40 AM »
A simple salad to use up our abundant garden lettuce.  It's a great recipe, but I double the avocado:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/boston-lettuce-avocado-salad-and-lime-dressing-recipe-1946495

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2649 on: October 07, 2020, 08:24:31 AM »
Chicken enchiladas!  Trying out roasted zucchini as a side.