Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951387 times)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1900 on: April 25, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
Individual meatloaves.  Cauliflower mash and sweet potatoes on the side.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1901 on: April 26, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »
tofu and veggie stir fry, and ice cream for dessert

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1902 on: April 26, 2020, 08:49:07 PM »
Decadent Mac and cheese bake with roasted garlicky broccoli on the side. We're having a chocolate pudding for dessert made with silken tofu and chocolate chips.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1903 on: April 26, 2020, 09:15:55 PM »
ground beef tacos with pico de gallo & guacamole

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1904 on: April 26, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
We had grilled chicken, cauliflower gratin, and a rather colorful raw veggie salad.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1905 on: April 26, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »
Tried smitten kitchen's stuffed cabbage rolls. Meh, not worth the work. Plus, I really dislike the taste of boiled cabbage...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1906 on: April 26, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
We haven't made this in a long time, but really looking forward to this collard greens soup with coconut milk that we have a recipe for.  It's almost 2lbs collard greens with 2 cans coconut milk and lots of veggie stock and you put a split habanero pepper in it while it simmers.  Then you remove the pepper and blend the soup.  It's a little spicy but also lots of depth from the broth and coconut milk.  And fully vegan!  We'll have it with sweet potato fries on the side, which we usually dip in mayo, so not quite vegan for the whole meal.

Would this work with kale?  I asked my husband to pick up some lacinato kale and he came home with two big bunches of red frilly kale instead.  I made kale and chorizo soup last week, so I'm looking for something else to do with it.

Yeah, I think it would be great with kale, too. The recipe also has you saute about a cup or so of onion to start, then wilt the greens for a few minutes before adding the liquids and pepper.  Enjoy!

Reporting back that this did work well with kale.  I used chicken stock and one can of coconut milk plus a serrano chile, and added a good whack of fresh garlic and ginger.  Along with that we had roasted butternut squash and chicken thighs crusted with Sichuan pepper and coriander.  The kale was quite good piled over the butternut squash.

I have a large Napa cabbage in the fridge that is getting elderly, so tomorrow I'm planning to use part of it for eggroll in a bowl.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1907 on: April 26, 2020, 10:13:44 PM »
We haven't made this in a long time, but really looking forward to this collard greens soup with coconut milk that we have a recipe for.  It's almost 2lbs collard greens with 2 cans coconut milk and lots of veggie stock and you put a split habanero pepper in it while it simmers.  Then you remove the pepper and blend the soup.  It's a little spicy but also lots of depth from the broth and coconut milk.  And fully vegan!  We'll have it with sweet potato fries on the side, which we usually dip in mayo, so not quite vegan for the whole meal.

Would this work with kale?  I asked my husband to pick up some lacinato kale and he came home with two big bunches of red frilly kale instead.  I made kale and chorizo soup last week, so I'm looking for something else to do with it.

Yeah, I think it would be great with kale, too. The recipe also has you saute about a cup or so of onion to start, then wilt the greens for a few minutes before adding the liquids and pepper.  Enjoy!

Reporting back that this did work well with kale.  I used chicken stock and one can of coconut milk plus a serrano chile, and added a good whack of fresh garlic and ginger.  Along with that we had roasted butternut squash and chicken thighs crusted with Sichuan pepper and coriander.  The kale was quite good piled over the butternut squash.

I have a large Napa cabbage in the fridge that is getting elderly, so tomorrow I'm planning to use part of it for eggroll in a bowl.

Oh good!  Glad it worked.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1908 on: April 27, 2020, 07:50:53 AM »
Chicken picadillo!

We won't use the entire onion or red pepper, so I made savory oatmeal this morning and threw in what I knew we wouldn't use tonight. My first time making savory oatmeal. It was... fine. The nutty flavor of the oatmeal didn't really vibe with the rest of the flavors, so it probably won't be a "go to" for me.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1909 on: April 27, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »
Chicken picadillo!

We won't use the entire onion or red pepper, so I made savory oatmeal this morning and threw in what I knew we wouldn't use tonight. My first time making savory oatmeal. It was... fine. The nutty flavor of the oatmeal didn't really vibe with the rest of the flavors, so it probably won't be a "go to" for me.

I've never made my savory oatmeal with onion or bell pepper. When we do ours, it's usually because we have some leftover chicken and broccoli, and those get mixed in with some butter and sharp cheddar. It reminds me a bit of broccoli rice casserole, which I love.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1910 on: April 27, 2020, 08:03:34 AM »
Tonight is burgers + potato salad

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1911 on: April 27, 2020, 08:05:12 AM »
We're having beans re-fried with onions, garlic, bell and jalapeno peppers, and spices and served with cheese, salsa, and corn tortillas. I'll probably chop up some radishes and lettuce for a bit of crunch.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1912 on: April 27, 2020, 08:15:16 AM »
We're having Chicken Adobo and garlic fried rice. We made the adobo yesterday because it benefits from a day in the fridge, so today we just have to reheat and fry the rice in the fridge and we're in business!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1913 on: April 27, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »
pasta bake with italian sausage and broccoli, and maybe breadsticks
Made ahead and waiting in the fridge, yay!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1914 on: April 27, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »
Pizza.
We always have a stash of sourdough pizza dough in our freezer. Pretty easy way to use leftover veggies and comfort food for rainy days.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1915 on: April 27, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
I'll be whipping up a batch of salads for the next few days.  Will eat tonight's with leftover meatloaf on top - already looking forward to it!

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1916 on: April 27, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
Okonomiyaki!
(savoury Japanese pancake with cabbage, eggs, etc).
I've always wanted to try this!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1917 on: April 27, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
Tonight is Taco...uh, whatever day this is...oh, yeah, it's Taco Night!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1918 on: April 27, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
Cauliflower with pasta and some cherry tomatoes that need using up. With cheese and toasted breadcrumbs.

And I'm making a list of what I'm getting (half tomorrow morning, half in about 5 days) to keep us going for the next 1.5 - 2 weeks. It's the not forgetting the important bits (and leaving some flexibility to get whatever looks good/is on sale) that's the tough part.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1919 on: April 27, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
A can of tuna and a big pile of Costco frozen mixed veggies, with a special spice mix from New Brunswick.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1920 on: April 27, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
Green beans, salami and coffee cake.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1921 on: April 28, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
Taco quesadillas (kids)
Taco salads (adults)
with pico de gallo & guacamole for all

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1922 on: April 28, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
I think we're finally going to break down and get take-out. We both want shawarma and hummus from our favorite Lebanese restaurant. I definitely want them to stay in business.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1923 on: April 28, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
Turkey mulligatawny soup (https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/turkey-mulligatawny-soup-11126) with a side salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1924 on: April 28, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »
Going to fire up the grill for the first time in a while and make some lamb chops with my favorite new secret ingredient:  Red Boat umami salt.  We'll have Tuscan butter mushrooms over cauliflower rice on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1925 on: April 28, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »
I think we're finally going to break down and get take-out. We both want shawarma and hummus from our favorite Lebanese restaurant. I definitely want them to stay in business.

Yep, we had chicken and beef shawarma, hummus, roasted veggies, and salads. It was our first break in food prep in more than 6 weeks and a very welcome treat.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1926 on: April 28, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
Son requested tater tot casserole for dinner, so that's what we're having.

He also accidentally dropped a jar of pecan pie filling (bought 50% off the sale price, just add eggs, butter, and pie crust), breaking the seal, so we're going to make that tonight too.  I've never tried it from a jar mix, so hopefully it comes out good.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1927 on: April 29, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
Salad of romaine, sliced tomato, and fat free italian dressing with 1/3 of one of those rope Turkey Sausages.  Probably will have the same tonight. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1928 on: April 29, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »

Yep, we had chicken and beef shawarma, hummus, roasted veggies, and salads. It was our first break in food prep in more than 6 weeks and a very welcome treat.

That sounds delicious! We've been figuring one take-out meal into each two-week menu, and deciding which local business we want to support. This block: probably BBQ.

Tonight: I'm still using up some of the leftover vegetables that existed before the most recent set of shopping trips (I tried our small local grocer, bought whatever I could there, but had to supplement with a trip to the local Kroger affiliate. Tip I got from the guy stocking a couple of weeks ago -- Wed morning at 8 am, just after senior hours end, is a great time to go!). So grilled brats, potato salad, homemade sauerkraut, cooked cabbage.

Tomorrow is DS2's 16th birthday: he's requested tacos, and his brother will make him a giant chocolate cake. Which I think we will figure out how to share with the neighbors, while sitting 6 feet apart in someone's driveway. Details TBD after we figure out the logistics.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1929 on: April 29, 2020, 11:49:17 AM »

That sounds delicious! We've been figuring one take-out meal into each two-week menu, and deciding which local business we want to support. This block: probably BBQ.

Tonight: I'm still using up some of the leftover vegetables that existed before the most recent set of shopping trips (I tried our small local grocer, bought whatever I could there, but had to supplement with a trip to the local Kroger affiliate. Tip I got from the guy stocking a couple of weeks ago -- Wed morning at 8 am, just after senior hours end, is a great time to go!). So grilled brats, potato salad, homemade sauerkraut, cooked cabbage.

Tomorrow is DS2's 16th birthday: he's requested tacos, and his brother will make him a giant chocolate cake. Which I think we will figure out how to share with the neighbors, while sitting 6 feet apart in someone's driveway. Details TBD after we figure out the logistics.

Yeah, I think 2-week intervals is a good plan for take-out. There's a little vegan cafe that does amazing homemade burger patties, so I think I'll lobby for that next time. Or the excellent little Thai place.

That makes sense for Kroger affiliates. The local Kroger sale ads run Wed-Tues. Maybe I'll try Kroger during my next non-greengrocer trip.

I took some groceries to my parents' house yesterday and visited with them on their patio. My dad had carefully spaced all the chairs 6 feet apart. :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1930 on: April 29, 2020, 11:51:47 AM »
I made stock from the skin and bones left from Sunday's grilled chicken. The stock, leftover meat, some veggies, black beans, and hominy will become tonight's soup dinner.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1931 on: April 29, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Going to try out this white bean and avocado sandwich (http://pumpkinandpeanutbutter.com/2016/04/20/smashed-white-bean-basil-avocado-sandwich/).  I bought a way overpriced avocado on my last shopping trip (had gotten used to Aldi prices), but I'm happy to have avocado back in my life this week.  I need to start defrosting the beans - some Rando Gordo flageolet I cooked a while ago.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1932 on: April 29, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
Burgers & potato salad

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1933 on: April 30, 2020, 05:00:29 PM »
Okonomiyaki!
(savoury Japanese pancake with cabbage, eggs, etc).
I've always wanted to try this!

You should @FrugalKube!  Very tasty and you don't really need all that many ingredients. Just find a recipe with the basics and go from there--it is good to have a bit of mayonnaise or yogourt for a topping (we used yogourt with green onions, chives & capers mixed in...tasty)
If you ever go to Japan, there are some restaurants that only serve this dish...much more elaborate than my homemade version

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1934 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:36 PM »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1935 on: April 30, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »
Air-fried potato fries, salad, grilled Italian sausages.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1936 on: April 30, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »
Chicken stew (chicken, potatoes, onion, carrots and chicken broth). The secret ingredient is Mexican oregano. Served with cathead biscuits. Keylime pie with chocolate crust for dessert.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1937 on: April 30, 2020, 06:44:04 PM »
I've just finished making a huge batch of my favorite Mexican concoction. My IP has been busy today. I mix 1 batch black rice, 1 batch brown rice, 1/2 batch dried black beans, 1 pound of frozen corn kernels, the juice of two fresh limes and a half bunch of cilantro (but only because I had it to use up), a bunch of taco seasonings, a jar of salsa, a can of diced tomatoes. Mix it all up and portion it out before sticking it in the freezer or fridge. I use this for fast meals. Tacos, burritos, taco salad, nachos, whatever. I can add meat or use it by itself. It's yummy and I love knowing I have a fresh batch of something to whip up easy meals with. Speaking of whipping up easy meal, I better get on it!

Oh, and I used the handy stick blender to puree the rest of the beans, so now I have plenty of refried black beans on hand too. Boom!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1938 on: April 30, 2020, 07:13:26 PM »
split pea soup with ham and garlic breadsticks

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1939 on: April 30, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
Istrian friend is bringing over homemade lasagne they way they make it in her village, another friend is bringing over wine, and I'm supplying stir fried greens with Korean chicken sausage, and dessert (chopped papaya, fat bananas and blueberries w/coconut milk). Happy Labor day!

I've just finished making a huge batch of my favorite Mexican concoction. My IP has been busy today. I mix 1 batch black rice, 1 batch brown rice, 1/2 batch dried black beans, 1 pound of frozen corn kernels, the juice of two fresh limes and a half bunch of cilantro (but only because I had it to use up), a bunch of taco seasonings, a jar of salsa, a can of diced tomatoes. Mix it all up and portion it out before sticking it in the freezer or fridge. I use this for fast meals. Tacos, burritos, taco salad, nachos, whatever. I can add meat or use it by itself. It's yummy and I love knowing I have a fresh batch of something to whip up easy meals with. Speaking of whipping up easy meal, I better get on it!

Oh, and I used the handy stick blender to puree the rest of the beans, so now I have plenty of refried black beans on hand too. Boom!

That sounds amazing. Once I get a good freezer will try this out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:31:55 PM by expatartist »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1940 on: April 30, 2020, 08:32:53 PM »
I made butter turkey (butter chicken, but with leftover turkey!) on basmati rice.  It was pretty good, will probably make again.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1941 on: May 01, 2020, 06:39:10 AM »
BZB, I am going to make the same thing! I have some hot dog rolls in the freezer that I made into garlic bread sticks! I have a ham bone and split peas ready! Will cook in my crock pot. Will be delicious! Can't wait.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1942 on: May 01, 2020, 06:52:36 AM »
I have some hot dog rolls in the freezer that I made into garlic bread sticks!
Me too!  I haven’t done it in forever, but there’s an old hotdog bun in the freezer that will be made into garlic bread tonight.

I’m making pasta with garlicky broccoli rabe (https://smittenkitchen.com/2012/04/pasta-with-garlicky-broccoli-rabe/) - it was a big hit with my BF the last time I made it, and I finally found rapini at the store again this week.  I’ll add some baked chicken breasts, and serve with green beans and the bread.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1943 on: May 01, 2020, 08:41:46 AM »
I made butter turkey (butter chicken, but with leftover turkey!) on basmati rice.  It was pretty good, will probably make again.

In keeping with my love of fusion food, we're having butter turkey with basmati rice on tortilla wraps for lunch today!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1944 on: May 01, 2020, 12:15:37 PM »
I think tonight will be bolognese sauce with pasta (kids) & cauliflower rice (adults)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1945 on: May 01, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
Chef salad with the first of the garden harvest (radishes and radish greens) and a bunch of foraged spring greens.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1946 on: May 01, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »
Wait.  you can eat radish greens?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1947 on: May 01, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »

They're kind of spicy!

You can also make pesto from carrot greens -- it's somewhat astringent, and goes well with sweet cooked carrots.

We're having a very old Eating Well recipe for quinoa salad (with dried apricots, spinach, tomatoes, and a "moroccan" dressing of yogurt, lemon, olive oil and spices) and then a smitten kitchen recipe for yogurt panna cotta with some berries that need using.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1948 on: May 01, 2020, 07:40:24 PM »

Radish greens are really good--and yes, a bit spicy.
I've used them to make vegan palak tofu..(spicier than spinach but delightful)

https://www.veganricha.com/palak-tofu-tofu-in-spinach-curry-vegan/

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1949 on: May 01, 2020, 09:29:10 PM »

I've made a radish top soup that's delish (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/38036/radish-top-soup/).  Of course, that's probably because of the heavy cream.