Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951523 times)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1700 on: March 20, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
Chard cakes with sorrel sauce: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013576-chard-cakes-with-sorrel-sauce

One of our less frequent recipe rotations, but really mixes things up.  We'll have roasted sweet potato on the side.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: March 20, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
Penne l’arrabiata with roasted green beans.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1702 on: March 20, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
A chicken breast w/ carrots and a HUGE baked potato.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1703 on: March 20, 2020, 04:46:20 PM »
We are going to support of favorite local restaurant and order some Pad Thai for pickup.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1704 on: March 20, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
Pizza and salad -- both kids are home, there are four of us in the house all the time, and I'm considering instituting pizzas on Friday as a weekly ritual. With wine and salad, and perhaps a dessert, although we made a huge cake last night and there's nothing special planned for this evening.

I was reading an article by a guy who spent time living in the Fake-mars simulator that NASA ran about how to get through the quarantine/shelter at home situation, and he suggested creating rituals and celebrations.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1705 on: March 20, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »
Pizza and salad -- both kids are home, there are four of us in the house all the time, and I'm considering instituting pizzas on Friday as a weekly ritual. With wine and salad, and perhaps a dessert, although we made a huge cake last night and there's nothing special planned for this evening.

I was reading an article by a guy who spent time living in the Fake-mars simulator that NASA ran about how to get through the quarantine/shelter at home situation, and he suggested creating rituals and celebrations.

My husband and I have said good bye with a hug and a kiss pretty much every work day for the last decade. I am really having a hard time getting him to keep it up :(

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1706 on: March 20, 2020, 08:31:22 PM »

My husband and I have said good bye with a hug and a kiss pretty much every work day for the last decade. I am really having a hard time getting him to keep it up :(

Gee, keeping that up is a great idea -- I'll suggest it here!
On decent weather days, we've been "walking to work" by going out the front door, around a local park, back in the front door, then on in to the office.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1707 on: March 21, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
Squash ravioli! The 19-year old has a fresh pasta-making bug, so we are currently roasting some butternut squash. From there, we'll roughly follow the recipe in The Silver Spoon: olive oil, parmesan, bread crumbs, a few spices, and serve with sage butter, if we can dig the sage bush out of the pile of spring snow. Probably with salad, although we have brussels sprouts that need using up, so perhaps both!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1708 on: March 21, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Pizza with almond crust and the last of the bacon and mushrooms. Spinach salad on the side.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1709 on: March 21, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »
Last of the meatloaf, last of the cooked rice. Gonna have to cook tomorrow :(

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1710 on: March 22, 2020, 09:36:28 AM »
I think it will be a breakfast-at-dinner night. I'll season the half-lb of ground turkey in the fridge and cook it as breakfast sausage patties. Oven-roasted potatoes and scrambled eggs with onion and bell pepper also sound good right now.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1711 on: March 22, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »
Roasted a leg of lamb last night with a wet rub of rosemary, thyme, garlic, pepper, lemon peel and a spicy pepper paste.  Then I par cooked some carrots and baby potatoes and roasted them off in the lamb fat, and for a green we had sauteed Swiss chard.  Very yum.  I was able to buy a container of salad mix yesterday, so tonight we'll have big salads and  I'm thinking of making shepherd's pie with the leftover lamb.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1712 on: March 22, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
I made an egg white veggie omelette (that turned into an egg white veggie scramble because I've never used boxed egg whites before) with a side of roasted sweet potatoes.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1713 on: March 23, 2020, 04:09:45 AM »
It was DS's birthday and he wanted pizza made by someone else. (Trying not to take offence :).  We found a small local place still doing business by passing the pies out through a window.  Glad to give them our business! 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1714 on: March 23, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
We have a head of cauliflower and some fresh spinach that need to be used. I think I'll roast the cauliflower, turn the spinach into salad, and serve them with a couple of baked salmon fillets.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1715 on: March 23, 2020, 08:51:02 AM »
It's our one year anniversary today, so DH and I are going to try to celebrate with fresh homemade ravioli, a new brussels recipe and trying out a recipe for tamarind pie, which should be a bit of an adventure.  We have some bubbly in the fridge and even though it's a $4 bottle from Trader Joe's it will lend a festive atmosphere.

So happy we got married last year, when there was only a government shutdown threatening to prevent our wedding (which was held in a National Park) instead of this year when a pandemic definitely would have done it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1716 on: March 23, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »
It's our one year anniversary today, so DH and I are going to try to celebrate with fresh homemade ravioli, a new brussels recipe and trying out a recipe for tamarind pie, which should be a bit of an adventure.  We have some bubbly in the fridge and even though it's a $4 bottle from Trader Joe's it will lend a festive atmosphere.

So happy we got married last year, when there was only a government shutdown threatening to prevent our wedding (which was held in a National Park) instead of this year when a pandemic definitely would have done it.

Congratulations! Bubbly wine makes everything a bit more festive.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1717 on: March 23, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
Tonight we'll have crockpot "crack chicken", in lettuce wraps.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1718 on: March 23, 2020, 08:53:16 PM »
Frico chicken.  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020897-crispy-frico-chicken-breasts-with-mushrooms-and-thyme  I used tarragon and Rosemary since I didn't want to harvest the scant amount of thyme I have growing.  Also added some garlic and dried tomatoes.  I'd say it's a winner and pretty easy. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1719 on: March 24, 2020, 06:28:10 AM »
I'm thinking that tonight is going to be hoppin john with all the veggies I need to use up.  I'll probably go through the pantry and figure out what ingredients I've earmarked for next week's meals and put them in a basket so that I don't accidentally use them while I'm making shit up during the next couple of days.   

I managed to grab a decent supply of dried beans and rice yesterday, so I should be set there.  If I've got enough jars and lids, I'll probably run at least two loads of beans and peas through the canner this weekend. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1720 on: March 24, 2020, 06:43:22 AM »
Right now, I'm planning to make chicken and brown rice in the pressure cooker, with a green veg (probably spinach salad) on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1721 on: March 24, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »
Finished another shopping trip, so will make sausage and potato roast with shallots and arugula (the arugula is kept uncooked) (https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/sausage-and-potato-roast-with-arugula/). The other store had local fingerling potatoes on Saturday, so I picked those up then.

Probably won't be enough -- perhaps we'll make an orange cake with chocolate chips for dessert (and for chocolate, to keep away the dementors.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1722 on: March 25, 2020, 06:24:41 PM »
Buttered noodles and a fried egg. Orange slices for dessert. Really not inspired today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1723 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »
We had leftover crack chicken, in lettuce wraps. Plus salad.

My husband was able to get to Costco tonight, & they had most of our shopping list (still no chicken) & I'm giddy at the idea of being able to have more menu options for the next week or so.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1724 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:06 PM »
Moroccan meatball couscous soup (https://littlespicejar.com/moroccan-meatball-couscous-soup/) and spinach salad.  Found some pearl couscous in the back of my pantry when surveying my stores last week, so happy to use that up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1725 on: March 26, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »
Leftover dragon noodles, plus spinach salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1726 on: March 26, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
Southwest Chicken Skillet from Budget Bytes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1727 on: March 26, 2020, 06:01:06 PM »
I made a BLT, with a side of grapes.  I had one Roma tomato left from a few weeks ago that needed to be used, and some bacon in the freezer.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1728 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
Twice-baked stuffed potatoes: baked some big russets, cut them in half lengthwise, scooped out the contents, mixed with cooked chopped broccoli and a bunch of sharp chedder (and salt and pepper) dumped the whole mess back in and baked them until they were melty and crusty.

The large kid made baklava, so there was dessert, too.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1729 on: March 27, 2020, 08:40:47 AM »
I'm doctoring a veggie cauliflower crust pizza with pepperoni, and the kids will have traditional pepperoni pizza. Will be served with a salad + lemon bars for dessert.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »
Loaded potatoes is a great idea. I was able to buy russets and sharp cheddar yesterday. I could cook up bacon for a topping and saute brussels sprouts in some of the fat for a green side veg. This would require a low level of prep work and no defrosting. Yay!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1731 on: March 27, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »
Loaded potatoes is a great idea. I was able to buy russets and sharp cheddar yesterday. I could cook up bacon for a topping and saute brussels sprouts in some of the fat for a green side veg. This would require a low level of prep work and no defrosting. Yay!

Plus, they're delicious!
Here, broccoli keeps being on sale, but our older kid isn't really a fan. So we use it in ways that make it taste like other stuff: stuffed in potatoes with cheddar, shoved into quesadillas (let's face it, all the kids are going to taste there is the Cholula and/or hot peppers), or stir-fried with beef and a tasty sauce.

It's already started snowing lightly here, so I baked a giant sourdough boule last night, and I'll make a big pot of riboletta for dinner. Or for lunch and we'll have "tea" or "supper" for the evening meal.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1732 on: March 27, 2020, 06:36:34 PM »
Cauliflower and chorizo casserole with lots of cheese and olives.  Sort of a low-carb cross between nachose and mac-n-cheese.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1733 on: March 28, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
Finally made the beef stew last night! Been avoiding it for several days (I don't actually like to cook). So will be eating that until it's gone, and since it's just me in the house and I made a full batch, until it's gone will probably be most of the week.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1734 on: March 28, 2020, 10:49:44 AM »
Finally made the beef stew last night! Been avoiding it for several days (I don't actually like to cook). So will be eating that until it's gone, and since it's just me in the house and I made a full batch, until it's gone will probably be most of the week.

Oh, that sounds good.

It's chilly and rainy here, so a hot bowl of soup or stew sounds good. Maybe I'll thaw a chunk of ham and put it in a pot of split pea soup.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1735 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Tried this Cauliflower Taco Bowl last night--but it was really easy & tasty.
Made some modifications: no tomatoes, ate with chipotle salsa instead and made a tangy blended dressing out of yogourt, garlic, cilantro, etc instead of their ranch one.

Oh, and doubled the spices on the cauliflower. :)

https://www.budgetbytes.com/roasted-cauliflower-taco-bowls/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1736 on: March 28, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
Making Hawaiian meatballs in the crock-pot today.

Meatballs, pineapples, sliced red and green peppers, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce.

Also, making a box mix brownies with walnuts.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #1737 on: March 28, 2020, 01:46:49 PM »
https://www.budgetbytes.com/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/

^this but with garlic pork sausage kielbasa and no cal sweetener instead of sugar. And way more sriracha sauce cause we like it spicy as hell.

I actually modified it a bit and we now call it our "deconstructed eggroll" meal as it is technically the insides of an eggroll without the crispy wrapper.

Got a head of cabbage for 99¢ and sad I didn't think to get way more, as I'm thinking of attempting to do homemade sauerkraut (but need caraway seeds to do it right).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1738 on: March 28, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »
https://www.budgetbytes.com/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/

^this but with garlic pork sausage kielbasa and no cal sweetener instead of sugar. And way more sriracha sauce cause we like it spicy as hell.

I actually modified it a bit and we now call it our "deconstructed eggroll" meal as it is technically the insides of an eggroll without the crispy wrapper.

Got a head of cabbage for 99¢ and sad I didn't think to get way more, as I'm thinking of attempting to do homemade sauerkraut (but need caraway seeds to do it right).

If you like spicy stuff, you could just do a spicy kraut and you won't miss the caraway at all.

Last night I made a cheesy cauliflower-chorizo bake with lots of olives, and we had leftover slaw on the side.

Tonight we're having turkey breast alongside a big spinach salad with blue cheese, beets and candied pecans.  I might try making a blueberry vinaigrette for it; we often do a similar salad with raspberry vinaigrette for potlucks, but avoiding the store and have lots of lovely blueberries in the freezer that a co-worker brought me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:04:49 PM by horsepoor »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1739 on: March 28, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
We're having a chicken & pesto feta chicken casserole. Over a spinach salad.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1740 on: March 28, 2020, 05:45:36 PM »
We had a roast turkey breast in the freezer, so we defrosted it and are making a Thanksgiving-style dinner. Our well-stocked pantry produced the staples to make dressing, (yay for using up all the bread crusts in the freezer), green beans with cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions on top, and baked sweet potatoes (no energy to peel, chop and roast them, so it is what it is.) We'll also do mashed potatoes and gravy, because the point of this is to have leftovers. It's ain't exactly high gourmet and it's carb heavy, but it will feel good to sit down to a real meal tonight. It's day thirteen of nearly total bed rest for me, and it's nice to feel a little bit of energy returning. Finally! Of course, I am baking the crap out of everything. My DSS is home and he's still healthy. It would be nice to keep him that way.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1741 on: March 28, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
Glad you are feeling better @Dicey

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1742 on: March 28, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »
Tonight it's lasagna made by beloved SO.

Dessert is peach ice cream.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1743 on: March 28, 2020, 09:17:59 PM »
Thanks! I was positive today was Sunday, until after we finished dinner, so I'm not sure how far I am from normal yet, lol!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1744 on: March 28, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
Thanks! I was positive today was Sunday, until after we finished dinner, so I'm not sure how far I am from normal yet, lol!

None of us has any real idea what day it is. My husband's birthday was in early March, but I swear that was 6 months ago. Glad you're feeling better!

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1745 on: March 28, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »
Made a double batch of this hungarian mushroom soup last night, so had leftovers for dinner tonight. Super tasty if you like shrooms and can easily be made vegetarian if you use veggie broth instead of chicken stock: https://themodernproper.com/hungarian-mushroom-soup

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1746 on: March 29, 2020, 12:57:17 AM »
Made a double batch of this hungarian mushroom soup last night, so had leftovers for dinner tonight. Super tasty if you like shrooms and can easily be made vegetarian if you use veggie broth instead of chicken stock: https://themodernproper.com/hungarian-mushroom-soup
Ooh, I have a ton of mushrooms to use up. I have no sour cream, but I have whole milk yogurt and all the other ingredients, so this soup will be on the menu this week. Thanks!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1747 on: March 29, 2020, 08:05:59 AM »
I'm thinking meatloaf. My son wants to try & make homemade pasta, so we will probably give that a try as well.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1748 on: March 29, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »
Tofu and veggie stir-fry with rice.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1749 on: March 29, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
Tacos with leftover ground turkey.  Sadly, we don't have an avocado, but they will be okay.