Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951460 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1350 on: November 04, 2019, 01:13:45 AM »

Use the freezer. According to the Budget Bites website you can freeze ginger and also things like lemons. I have just frozen parsley and some other leftover herbs in ziplock bags.

I have always found frozen herbs to be limp and soggy when they defrost from the freezer. No? Except maybe like thyme or rosemary, with their thick stems and tiny leaves.  I guess if you are going to cook the herbs it might still be ok?  But it seems like those kind of leafy herbs like parsley are usually used as garnish and I feel a little sad putting that limp stuff on my food!

This winter my DH bought some bags of frozen coriander leaves, produced in Iceland. They worked to give the stir fry dish a coriander taste. No, they don't look great, but I don't use it on top of the dishes. Yesterday I used oregano that I had frozen and the stir fry dish worked out well.
Fresh is of course nicer, but if it will otherwise expire, then freezing it is a better alternative.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1351 on: November 04, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
Red lentils, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, stuffed vegetable spices that contain a lot of mint, feta cheese, a little dash of cream for juiciness, salt and pepper.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1352 on: November 04, 2019, 06:41:55 PM »
Pozole, with canned hominy (we buy the 1/2 gallon food service-sized cans, of course :^)  ), shredded chicken, chicken broth, and blitzed chipotles in adobo sauce. Served with marinated thinly sliced onions, shredded cheese, avocados (on sale this week, for $.77 or so <-- hey, I'm in the mountain west, OK?) and carrot and red cabbage slaw.

Plus, I started with a whole chicken, so I have another dinner's worth of chicken broth and shredded chicken. It'll be chicken-and-veggie soup later this week.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1353 on: November 04, 2019, 09:16:34 PM »
I love pozole and miss it so much! I'll have to see if I can make it this winter.

We had a curried lentil soup. Red lentils, coconut milk, crushed tomatoes and cilantro. Haven't had it in a long time. It was great. Made sweet potato fries on the side, so the meal was a little monochrome orange, but tasty.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1354 on: November 04, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
Pozole, with canned hominy (we buy the 1/2 gallon food service-sized cans, of course :^)  ), shredded chicken, chicken broth, and blitzed chipotles in adobo sauce. Served with marinated thinly sliced onions, shredded cheese, avocados (on sale this week, for $.77 or so <-- hey, I'm in the mountain west, OK?) and carrot and red cabbage slaw.

Plus, I started with a whole chicken, so I have another dinner's worth of chicken broth and shredded chicken. It'll be chicken-and-veggie soup later this week.

YUM. I really need to make pozole. It has been far too long.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1355 on: November 05, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »

We save it for winter, and I'm always pleased at how easy it is to make, if you're willing to use canned hominy and chicken. Onion + hominy + shredded meat and broth + chipotles in adobo is a lovely base.

Obviously, if you're doing a "real" version (like, with pigs feet) that could be more of an endeavor...

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1356 on: November 05, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »
Cheese stuffed pasta shells and lamb meatballs in tomato sauce.  Courtesy of the batch cooking I did in October. Never mind the vegetables; that's why I had salad for lunch ;)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: November 05, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »

We save it for winter, and I'm always pleased at how easy it is to make, if you're willing to use canned hominy and chicken. Onion + hominy + shredded meat and broth + chipotles in adobo is a lovely base.

Obviously, if you're doing a "real" version (like, with pigs feet) that could be more of an endeavor...

I think the last time I did something in the middle: shredded rotisserie chicken and powdered dried peppers, but homemade stock (from the rotisserie chicken) and hominy cooked fresh from dried kernels.

I don’t even think my aunt, a crazy-good Mexican cook, bothers with pigs’ feet anymore. I’m good with chicken. :-)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1358 on: November 05, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
BBQ Chicken on the grill with Garlic Rice side

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1359 on: November 05, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »
Ham slice, scalloped potatoes, cuke salad with tomato, red onion, salt, pepper, blue cheese dressing and blue cheese crumbles.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1360 on: November 06, 2019, 12:35:35 AM »
Spagetti with blue cheese, cream and spinach. I might throw in some of the frozen herbs I found in the freezer yesterday.

I took inventar of the 3 freezers yesterday (6 drawers) and wrote the contents on a list that hangs on the fridge in the kitchen. I hope it will stimulate us to have more overview of what is in there and let it be eaten. I threw away a portion of "brown sauce with little taste 2017" and "tomato sauce 1 portion 2018?" that I don't think will be eaten again.

I also found banana slices. I asked DH how he wanted to eat them: cake, muffins, ice cream, waffles and he chose cake. So I'll make banana cake on Friday. Not for dinner but for in between. I might bring it along to a party we are going to on Saturday evening.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1361 on: November 06, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »
@Linea_Norway , that is a very funny familiar feeling, that you had something in the freezer labelled "brown sauce with little taste."  Every now and then I find something labelled, for instance, "not very good chili" or "bland soup".

I'm glad you got to throw it out!

We had ravioli (from frozen) for dinner, and I realized after I'd opened the package that the Trader Joe's frozen ravioli bag also contained cubes of tomato sauce.  We stuck them in the refrigerator: if they taste OK I'll dump them into tonight's chicken-vegetable soup, which will be waiting for us in a crockpot when we get home from a high school soccer game.

If they don't taste good, they're going into the compost. Life's too short!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1362 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »

I think the last time I did something in the middle: shredded rotisserie chicken and powdered dried peppers, but homemade stock (from the rotisserie chicken) and hominy cooked fresh from dried kernels.

I don’t even think my aunt, a crazy-good Mexican cook, bothers with pigs’ feet anymore. I’m good with chicken. :-)

Well, I did make the chicken stock, so there's that.

The time some mexican friends made pozole for us that was a pork stock including pigs feet, however -- that was really fantastic. 

Ours is more like "a quick, fairly healthy, and tasty weeknight dinner".

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1363 on: November 06, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
We're having chicken sausages (mango/pineapple) with salad & cauliflower rice. The teens will likely have their dinner with pasta or a carb as well.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: November 07, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
Tonight I will make self-caught trout and green asparagus. And maybe with a portion of leftover sweet potato mash that we have in the freezer.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1365 on: November 07, 2019, 08:43:46 PM »
We are lovin' this chili right now.
There is a gf lady in bookclub so I'm super excited to bring this as something everyone can enjoy.

Butternut Squash Chili Recipe

This savory chili has a fresh, vibrant taste with a Southwestern twist. The secret ingredient? Lime. Adding a splash of lime juice just before serving brightens the flavor and teases your taste buds.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3-6 cloves garlic, to taste, minced
1 teaspoon each: cumin, chili powder and ginger
1 medium red or sweet onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
3 cups gluten-free broth
1 28-oz. can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Whole Tomatoes, diced or broken up, with juice
1 cup chopped green chiles- mild or hot, as you prefer
2 14-oz. cans black beans, rinsed, drained
1 14-oz. can white Northern beans, or red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 tablespoon golden balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon organic raw agave nectar
1 large fresh lime- for juice and garnish

Instructions:

To assemble in a slow cooker:

Drizzle the olive oil in the bottom of the cooker; add the garlic and spices and stir to combine.

Add the remaining ingredients except the lime juice. Gently stir with a wooden spoon or vinyl spatula (you don't want to mash the beans) to mix. Cover and follow the manufacturer's instructions for slow cooking a chili with canned (not dried beans). I cooked mine on low for five to six hours, for example.

To make on the stove top:

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat (I would use a little more olive oil); add the spices, stir and heat through for a minute; add onions and stir for two to three minutes; add the remaining ingredients except the lime. Cover the pot and bring to a simmer; lower the heat and keep the chili at a slow simmer, covered; stir now and then, and check the consistency. Add a little more broth if needed, to thin. Cook for an hour or so until all the flavors have combined and the sauce is thickened and rich.

Before serving, squeeze in the juice from half a lime; stir. Taste test for seasoning adjustments - more lime? A pinch of salt? More heat? A touch more agave? You decide.

Serve piping hot, as is, or with a garnish on top.

Garnish Ideas:

Chopped fresh cilantro
Wedge of lime
Crumbled blue corn chips
Greek yogurt or vegan sour cream

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/12/butternut-chili.html#ixzz2zYj96Z9P

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1366 on: November 08, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »
Baked salmon, Smitten Kitchen's stuck-pot rice with lentils, sauteed zucchini.

I made cookies for a friend's party and ate four of them yesterday (they were fairly substantial cookies with icing), along with a couple of hard ciders. I need a healthy meal and to avoid sugar bombs today.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1367 on: November 09, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »
Baked salmon, Smitten Kitchen's stuck-pot rice with lentils, sauteed zucchini.

I made cookies for a friend's party and ate four of them yesterday (they were fairly substantial cookies with icing), along with a couple of hard ciders. I need a healthy meal and to avoid sugar bombs today.

Mmm, cider. 'Tis the season :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1368 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
Today we had ready-made, only warm up meatballs, warmed up in the oven. Home made rösti potato. And cooked broccoli.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1369 on: November 12, 2019, 10:19:28 PM »
Caldo Tlalpeño, pretty much without modifications. Served with chopped cilantro, avocado, and tiny dice of jack cheese.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1370 on: November 13, 2019, 03:50:17 AM »
Caldo Tlalpeño, pretty much without modifications. Served with chopped cilantro, avocado, and tiny dice of jack cheese.

Yum! We tried that last winter based on your recommendation and it was great.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1371 on: November 13, 2019, 03:55:45 AM »
We had Zuppa Toscana (Budget Bytes recipe) and cornbread on Monday. Turkey-vegetable tacos in soft corn tortillas last night.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1372 on: November 13, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »
We had Zuppa Toscana (Budget Bytes recipe) and cornbread on Monday. Turkey-vegetable tacos in soft corn tortillas last night.

Yum! I should start compiling a turkey-and-stuff list for the winter. I often go back after Thanksgiving and buy another turkey, just because our little local grocery chain sells antibiotic-free turkeys for a pretty good price (for natural meat).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1373 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
We're making Marcella Hazan's pasta sauce...could not be easier and has lots of butter, so it's delicious!  (San Marzano tomatoes, an onion cut in half and *lots* of butter simmered for the better part of an hour).  We'll have it with roasted veggies, probably broccoli, maybe brussels sprouts.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1374 on: November 13, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »

Yum! I should start compiling a turkey-and-stuff list for the winter. I often go back after Thanksgiving and buy another turkey, just because our little local grocery chain sells antibiotic-free turkeys for a pretty good price (for natural meat).

The turkey tacos were from ground meat as a quick weeknight dinner. But shredded leftover roasted turkey would be delicious in so many things!

The Zuppa Toscana soup was even better as leftovers. I will probably make that several more times this season. Bonus: it's one of the only ways to get my husband to eat kale and not complain about it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1375 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
Last night I made eggroll in a bowl - basically cabbage and ground beef with lots of spices, then some cashews and kimchi mixed in at the end.

Tonight:  pork steaks cooked in a grill pan and topped with grainy mustard, a whole roasted head of cauliflower with bacon grease and Old Bay seasoning, steamed buttered carrots.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1376 on: November 13, 2019, 09:46:04 PM »
Okay horsepoor, I'm coming over! 

Tonight I made some elderly veggie burgers that were taking up room in the freezer. Kids didn't like them. 

On the other hand, last night I made a delicious if rather spicy chicken gumbo... found some nice Creole sausage but couldn't find okra anywhere so I used file and zucchini to thicken it. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1377 on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:48 PM »
Yeah, horsepoor, you had me at “roasted cauliflower with bacon grease and Old Bay.” Yum!

Husband made a tofu-veggie stir fry with peanut-hoisin sauce, topped with a fried egg per serving. I love when he cooks so much that I almost don’t mind cleaning up the mess afterward.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1378 on: November 14, 2019, 06:08:37 AM »
For the first time I bought Chinese pot stickers (pork with veg) from the freezer section at the grocery store. They were really good! Came with a sauce, like soy sauce. So good! Had egg rolls with it.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1379 on: November 14, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
Just slipped a chuck roast into the oven (I work at home, so I'll be around) so tonight will be pot roast, probably mashed potatoes, maybe roasted squash slices, and salad or asparagus (depending on whether the lettuce or asparagus looks like it'll hold for another day).

Got the kid to help me make apple cake the other night and I slipped several slices into the freezer, so I may haul those out, too. It's been a long week for everyone here!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1380 on: November 14, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »
I have choir tonight so unless husband decides to cook, I'll be scrounging for leftovers.

Pot roast sounds great, though. I think I'll pull the chuck roast out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1381 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
We ended up having Beyond Burgers last night.  I've had one in a pub before and I've also tried an Impossible Burger at Burger King. I'd love to try them head to head...I didn't have a conclusion about one vs the other, but I tried them months apart.

I really liked it.  Definitely felt like I was eating meat, although if I was in a blind taste test, I also definitely would have been able to pick out the "real" meat.  I wonder if they build in the charcoal/grill smell/taste in the product.  We cooked them in a frying pan, but I definitely got a taste of them being on a grill.  I thought it was sort of funny but you know, why not?!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1382 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »
An earlier post convinced me I should make meatballs for dinner tonight.
Not sure if I'll do them with spaghetti, or sweet and sour sauce with rice.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1383 on: November 14, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
We ended up having Beyond Burgers last night.  I've had one in a pub before and I've also tried an Impossible Burger at Burger King. I'd love to try them head to head...I didn't have a conclusion about one vs the other, but I tried them months apart.

I really liked it.  Definitely felt like I was eating meat, although if I was in a blind taste test, I also definitely would have been able to pick out the "real" meat.  I wonder if they build in the charcoal/grill smell/taste in the product.  We cooked them in a frying pan, but I definitely got a taste of them being on a grill.  I thought it was sort of funny but you know, why not?!

Those things are bizarrely satisfying. My generally carnivorous husband even likes them. I'm sure there's a bit of smoke flavoring added to the mix. I know that some beet juice is added to give them a pink tint.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1384 on: November 14, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
@Poundwise & @OtherJen   You're welcome to come over, but the cauliflower was surprisingly bland.  I thought I'd put a lot of Old Bay on it, not to mention the cayenne.  Next time I'll break it up into florets and roast per my usual method.  Our odd-sounding favorite is broccoli tossed with a generous amount of fish sauce and roasted.  That works well with cauliflower too.

I found some pho broth in the freezer, so tonight we had egg drop pho and a green bean/chicken stirfry with mushrooms and spice bean paste.

Tomorrow I'm thinking meatloaf, butternut squash and Brussels sprouts.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1385 on: November 15, 2019, 03:31:31 AM »
Last night I made Italian seasoned Veal. OMG it was delicious. Haven't had Veal in a longtime, years but it was so cheap on sale i had to try it. Not being a Vegan its the one meat that kinda bothers me to eat because having been to a farm where they raise the calf's for Veal is another subject. Anyhow was so good!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1386 on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
Homemade Alfredo sauce with a bit of Italian sausage (husband's request) and pine nuts, served over spaghetti squash.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1387 on: November 16, 2019, 01:33:13 AM »
Last night I made home made pizza with mushrooms, red pepper, fiddle heads (self picked in spring) and blue cheese.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1388 on: November 16, 2019, 02:48:21 AM »
Was lazy so just Baked some chicken Drumsticks and two boxs of mac n cheese! I didnt eat much but the kids love that stuff.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1389 on: November 16, 2019, 03:52:48 AM »
Salami and cheese on crackers.  We were not particularly hungry after a big lunch of fresh bread and soup, so this was ideal.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1390 on: November 16, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
Homemade pizza for us also tonight! We always do 3 at a time. We'll have one margherita, one with dried figs, goat cheese and shallots, and we're trying one new recipe, mixed olives and ricotta.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1391 on: November 16, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »
Those pizzas sounds great.

I was at loose ends yesterday (trying to use up the remaining produce before I went shopping this morning) so we had a salad and .. it wasn't exactly pizza, but I made focaccia (from smitten kitchen) and then topped it with a thin smear of tomato paste, slivers of salami, and cut-up mozzarella balls, and slid it back in the oven for a few minutes. I'd cooked the focaccia until the outside was a bit crispy, and the whole thing was lovely.

This morning I got a text from my kid asking if a friend could come for dinner between indoor soccer games. Sure! then I got a follow-up text reminding me the friend is vegan ... Great! but remind me what he eats? Or at least what you've actually seen him eating, because I'd hate to cook indian food and find out he doesn't eat ethnic.

Turns out the kid eats pretty much a vegan version of a standard american kid diet. So we had pasta i fagioli, aka pasta fazool, veganized with me applying almost every trick in the book to give it more umami (except dried mushrooms -- turns out we were out). I cooked down the onions to golden, then added a chopped leek, celery, and some carrots, and patiently cooked a bunch more. Then I added a bit more oil and some tomato paste, and cooked that. Then I added veg stock and blitzed everything with an immersion blender, so there were no potentially objectionable vegetable bits, then dumped in a large can of crushed tomatoes, and some white beans (from the freezer, so I just added them until it looked like a reasonable amount).  It cooked for an hour or so, then the cooked pasta was dumped in and allowed to marry for a few minutes before we ladled it into bowls, with chopped kalamata olives at the table to put on top (I would've used parsley, too, but my goal was not to go back to a grocery store if possible). We also had roasted asparagus (on sale this week) and a shredded carrot salad.

I also veganized a whole-orange and olive-oil cake I was planning to make anyhow (added hazelnuts, which I ground, removed eggs, turned it into a wacky cake). Turns out I like the nuts in there so much I may add ground nuts into the next non-vegan version. (Unfortunately, I adapted and merged two recipes so heavily that I should go write everything down right now or I'll never be able to re-create it.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1392 on: November 17, 2019, 06:26:04 PM »
Pot roast with carrots, mushrooms, and onions; mashed potatoes and gravy; and cucumber salad.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1393 on: November 17, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »
My son made Nashville Hot Chicken for lunch, so dinner was leftover chicken and leftover bread sticks I made the other day.  Not sure if I'll have a second dinner yet...  (I work a rotating shift, so my schedule gets crazy.  Some nights I only eat one meal, other nights I get really hungry and have two dinners and make a breakfast before the end of my shift.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1394 on: November 18, 2019, 01:31:00 AM »
Cauliflower soup. With chorizo sausages in it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1395 on: November 18, 2019, 04:18:47 AM »
They had stuffed chickens at our local store on sale so put one of those in the Oven last night and some baked potatoes and a veggie. Just a classic good ole recipe that got devoured

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1396 on: November 19, 2019, 05:57:30 AM »
Alot of people running around in alot of directions last night so just made a Tuna Casserole and some Texas garlic cheese bread.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1397 on: November 19, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
Alot of people running around in alot of directions last night so just made a Tuna Casserole and some Texas garlic cheese bread.

Same, yesterday, so made a pot of lentil, sausage, and kale soup with bread. Had it ready when kid arrived home about 3:30, so he could have some before he left for an orchestra practice that was 5:30 -9. (He had more when he returned home.)

Same, today (band concert 6-7:30 or so) so I'll leave a crock-pot on low full of pozole, and we'll have it with cabbage slaw, diced avocado, and shredded cheese all ready when we get home.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1398 on: November 20, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »
DH made an stir fried ochras with feta cheese and tomato. Served with veggie burgers (from the shop) and filled wine leaves (from the shop).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1399 on: November 20, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
A brown rice casserole with broccoli, sharp cheddar, and a bit of rotisserie chicken meat.