Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 965127 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3000 on: January 07, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
I have two leftover chunks of lasagna and am going to make a 'leftover' dish with it. Lasagna soup! I have made lasagna soup from scratch before but found a recipe on youtube to use my two frozen chunks up. It is a very cold day here so I think it will be a good choice for dinner!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3001 on: January 07, 2021, 02:20:51 PM »
We're having leftovers of pepper stuffed mini meatloaves

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3002 on: January 07, 2021, 03:16:18 PM »
Tamarind shrimp with rice noodles, and a salad with goat cheese, pepitas and cucumber.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3004 on: January 08, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
I asked the kids to each pick 3 meals they wanted to eat. Then I asked my vegan husband for 6 meals he wanted to eat.  I got everything at the grocery store and will batch cook up the majority of the foods and freeze them so I can have an easy January-February on those nights I don't want to think.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3005 on: January 08, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »
Making a white turkey chili with the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers.  Beans are in the crockpot now.  Will serve with some frozen green beans? and cornbread.  I'm 3 days from going to the store, and out of fresh veggies except for 3 days worth of salads!

I forgot to mention Tuesday when I made pasta with garlicky broccoli rabe (https://smittenkitchen.com/2012/04/pasta-with-garlicky-broccoli-rabe/).  Yum.  Except I used a full pound of pasta with my bunch of rapini, and I'll stick with half next time like I've done before - better greens to pasta ratio that way.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3006 on: January 08, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
Lamb chops with roasted butternut squash, sautéed mushrooms and greens. The chops have been salted and hanging out in the fridge for a few days. One chop is significantly thicker than the others, so I'm thinking sous vide, then a quick sear at the end to simplify cooking time calculations.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3007 on: January 08, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
I'm making a spicy cabbage and lentil stew that's really delicious. I'm making it extremely spicy because I'm away this week and DH likes things much spicier than I do, even though I like quite a bit of spice.

So the recipe calls for pureed onions, garlic, and habaneros, which are nasty little bastards. So I start sauteeing the puree in my instant pot, which gets very hot, and a glob of puree flies out of the pan and splatters directly into my eyes.

Fun times.

Moral of the story: wear protective eyewear when sauteeing pureed burny violence.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3008 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
I'm making a spicy cabbage and lentil stew that's really delicious. I'm making it extremely spicy because I'm away this week and DH likes things much spicier than I do, even though I like quite a bit of spice.

So the recipe calls for pureed onions, garlic, and habaneros, which are nasty little bastards. So I start sauteeing the puree in my instant pot, which gets very hot, and a glob of puree flies out of the pan and splatters directly into my eyes.

Fun times.

Moral of the story: wear protective eyewear when sauteeing pureed burny violence.

I am possibly a bad person, because although this didn't quite make me laugh, I definitely snickered.
How long does it cook for, that you're doing it in an insta-pot? Usually lentils cook quite quickly, so I just do them stovetop?

Tonight, we're having pizza (with sautéed eggplant and mushrooms, and probably some tiny cubes of dry salami) and a spinach salad.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3009 on: January 08, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »

Fun times.

I am possibly a bad person, because although this didn't quite make me laugh, I definitely snickered.
How long does it cook for, that you're doing it in an insta-pot? Usually lentils cook quite quickly, so I just do them stovetop?

Tonight, we're having pizza (with sautéed eggplant and mushrooms, and probably some tiny cubes of dry salami) and a spinach salad.

It was shared in the spirit of making people chuckle. I never seek pity or sympathy online, lol, but I am always happy to share my absurd misfortune for the entertainment of others.

I cook it in the instant pot for 12 minutes. It could be done in a regular pot, but I usually cook 3 recipes at once, so don't always have the space for 3 regular pots.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3010 on: January 09, 2021, 05:18:28 AM »
https://www.budgetbytes.com/spaghetti-carbonara/comment-page-4/#comments
With added green peas.

I'd better use up my fresh veggies first. Therefore fresh homemade pasta alla norma (with eggplant, chili pepper and tomato, as well as crumbly cheese) with additional bacon.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:19:06 AM by Linea_Norway »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3011 on: January 09, 2021, 12:01:39 PM »
Tomato basil soup and grilled cheese!  We're going to try to a fancy grilled cheese, modeled off the Pret a Manger version, so it will include WI cheddar, fontina and swiss with some carmelized shallots.  Probably also a salad on the side.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3012 on: January 09, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »
I'm making some pancakes for dinner tonight from my homemade mix with some blueberries we picked over the summer and froze until now. My wife calls it "brinner": breakfast for dinner.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3013 on: January 09, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »

Fun times.

It was shared in the spirit of making people chuckle. I never seek pity or sympathy online, lol, but I am always happy to share my absurd misfortune for the entertainment of others.

I cook it in the instant pot for 12 minutes. It could be done in a regular pot, but I usually cook 3 recipes at once, so don't always have the space for 3 regular pots.

Well, sorry for snickering at your misfortune, even if you put it out there with that intent.

Do you have a recipe for the lentil and cabbage thing? I'm on the lookout for delicious vegetarian recipes that I can make at the end of a shopping cycle (when I'm using up the things that keep well, like cabbage and onions).

Tonight, I think we're having nwedible's beef and napa cabbage in red curry thing, with rice. I want to make caldo tlalpeño, but I can't find any actual chicken/turkey, except for the one remaining whole turkey in the freezer, which I should probably defrost and cut up. Maybe when there's a bit more space in the fridge...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3014 on: January 09, 2021, 03:33:05 PM »
My teen is making ham & bean soup (Budget Bytes) with french bread. He's never made bread before, so we'll see how it goes. It's a great learning opportunity for him.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3015 on: January 10, 2021, 02:00:39 AM »

Fun times.

Well, sorry for snickering at your misfortune, even if you put it out there with that intent.

Do you have a recipe for the lentil and cabbage thing? I'm on the lookout for delicious vegetarian recipes that I can make at the end of a shopping cycle (when I'm using up the things that keep well, like cabbage and onions).

Tonight, I think we're having nwedible's beef and napa cabbage in red curry thing, with rice. I want to make caldo tlalpeño, but I can't find any actual chicken/turkey, except for the one remaining whole turkey in the freezer, which I should probably defrost and cut up. Maybe when there's a bit more space in the fridge...

The recipe actually calls for an instant pot, but it easily done on the stove. https://www.chefdehome.com/recipes/735/cabbage-lentil-soup

Wear safety goggles.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3016 on: January 10, 2021, 12:32:33 PM »
Goulash with a side of potatoes

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3017 on: January 10, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
We had egg roll in a bowl. Easy & delicious.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3018 on: January 12, 2021, 05:31:41 PM »
Chicken tikka masala (https://cafedelites.com/chicken-tikka-masala/).  BF raves about it.  Served with rice and roasted broccoli.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3019 on: January 13, 2021, 04:15:13 AM »
I don't know what happened this week (stress eating?) but our fridge is completely cleaned out.  Tomorrow is shopping day, so for tonight I'm freezer diving to see what we have to work with for dinner.  I found a pork loin and some frozen vegetables.  I also have a few potatoes and some turnips. We'll work with that. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3020 on: January 16, 2021, 05:46:32 PM »
Smitten Kitchen's roast chicken with schmaltzy cabbage , roasted broccoli, and roasted potatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3021 on: January 16, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »
Smitten Kitchen's roast chicken with schmaltzy cabbage , roasted broccoli, and roasted potatoes.

Smitten Kitchen's stuck pot rice with lentils (flavored with spicy ethiopian mitmita) and salad. Smitten Kitchen's blood orange, ricotta, and almond cake for dessert.

Yesterday, we cooked the third turkey (they were on sale. We have a chest freezer. 'nough said.). A turkey carcass now resides in my freezer, waiting for me to get around to making stock, along with several bags of shredded turkey meat.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3022 on: January 16, 2021, 06:23:54 PM »
It was really warm here, so we are having grilled chicken kebabs & rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3023 on: January 16, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »

Smitten Kitchen's stuck pot rice with lentils (flavored with spicy ethiopian mitmita) and salad. Smitten Kitchen's blood orange, ricotta, and almond cake for dessert.

Yesterday, we cooked the third turkey (they were on sale. We have a chest freezer. 'nough said.). A turkey carcass now resides in my freezer, waiting for me to get around to making stock, along with several bags of shredded turkey meat.

Yum. I haven’t done the stuck-pot rice and lentils in a while. I made it so often after I first found the recipe that Husband got a bit sick of it. It’s going on next week’s meal plan.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3024 on: January 16, 2021, 06:27:25 PM »

So, the first time I made this chicken recipe, I thought it was fine but a bit bland. Husband really liked it, though, so I tried it again but cut an onion into wedges and nestled those among the cabbage slices. That made a big difference, and I highly recommend it! Husband suggested that a few garlic cloves would also be good. Maybe a few in the pan and a couple inside the bird.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3025 on: January 17, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »

Recipe please!

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3026 on: January 17, 2021, 10:16:14 AM »

So, the first time I made this chicken recipe, I thought it was fine but a bit bland. Husband really liked it, though, so I tried it again but cut an onion into wedges and nestled those among the cabbage slices. That made a big difference, and I highly recommend it! Husband suggested that a few garlic cloves would also be good. Maybe a few in the pan and a couple inside the bird.

This is how I did it, but the garlic was in the cavity of the chicken along with some lemon and more onion.  I also added potatoes around the outside of the pan as well.  The leftover onion, cabbage and potatoes made a great hash the next morning.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3027 on: January 17, 2021, 01:08:41 PM »

Recipe please!

@Roadrunner53  - sure. There are a few of them out there, but we prefer this one. https://www.theseasonedmom.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

I make my own coleslaw mix using my food processor. We top with peanuts & sriracha. My husband eats Keto, but all of us like this (including non Keto eaters)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3028 on: January 17, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »

Recipe please!

@Roadrunner53  - sure. There are a few of them out there, but we prefer this one. https://www.theseasonedmom.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

I make my own coleslaw mix using my food processor. We top with peanuts & sriracha. My husband eats Keto, but all of us like this (including non Keto eaters)

Thanks! Printed it!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3029 on: January 17, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »
Chicken and dumplings

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3030 on: January 17, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »
Warm taco slaw (similar to egg roll in a bowl, but Mexican themed). I have the rest of the cabbage to use up, so I typically have both meals in a week. I like this recipe, as we can keep some of the taco meat out for my picky eater. He'll have a taco, the rest of us will have the warm taco slaw

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3031 on: January 17, 2021, 07:07:27 PM »
Caldo Tlalpeño, with that turkey stock I just got around to making. With warm corn tortillas.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3032 on: January 17, 2021, 09:57:36 PM »
Stuffed bell peppers with a layer of ricotta, then mushroom, onion and ground lamb topped with spicy marinara and a bit of parm. Sauted yellow squash on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3033 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »
@horsepoor - that sounds fabulous

We're having orange sesame chicken with rice. First time tying the recipe. I hope it's a winner

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #3034 on: January 18, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
Sweet potato and Orange Chicken over rice.
Tossed it together before leaving for work this morning!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3035 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:13 AM »
I made this on Saturday, and we are having the leftovers tonight:

https://kalynskitchen.com/twice-baked-spaghetti-squash-with-kale/

I used chard instead of kale, added sausage, and used ricotta instead of cottage cheese.  Oh, and mixed cheddar/monterey jack instead of mozzarella.  You know, COVID, use what you've got!

It's fantastic.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3036 on: January 18, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
Fondue

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3037 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »
Roast chicken with lemon, garlic and herbs, potatoes and carrots, tomato-basil soup.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3038 on: January 19, 2021, 05:53:42 AM »
I want to make fish garam massala with rice and veggies in the wok.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3039 on: January 19, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »
These sweet potato burritos, but as tacos and not baked, just because I'm lazy. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13954/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/

Served with leftover roasted cauliflower on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3040 on: January 20, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
Last night: squash quesidillas. squash from a giant blue hubbard that I had to split with an axe in Sept, then cooked and froze most of, roasted poblano chilis (one of our neighbors drives 45 min or so to a lady who sells them on the roadside and buys several bushels, then we all divide them up) jack cheese, corn tortillas. With cooked black beans and perfectly ripe avocados.

Tonight: My aunt sends my husband butcher-made-bacon for Xmas every year, and she dispatches me to buy it from a local-ish butcher. While we were there we also bought some other stuff, so tonight we're going to do a sheet-pan dinner of potatoes, cabbage wedges, and what was labelled "fresh Colorado-style Boudin". And maybe salad...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3041 on: January 20, 2021, 03:50:26 PM »
We're having slow cooker chicken taco bowls. The chicken/corn/beans/spices part has been in the crockpot all day. I'll shred the chicken, and serve it over rice & top with cheese.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3042 on: January 21, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »
Kielbasa (grown up hot dog, for my kid), broccoli, pierogi. We, admittedly, spring for ready-made frozen pierogi for and easy weeknight meal.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3043 on: January 21, 2021, 02:14:18 PM »
Baked chicken with pizza toppings.  I just bake a couple of chicken breasts and about 15 minutes before they're done, I pull them out and top them with tomato sauce, peppers, onions, pepperoni, black olives, and mozzarella. 

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #3044 on: January 21, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »
A small chef salad and maybe a grilled cheese sandwich. I need to use up some lettuce.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3045 on: January 21, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
We follow the cook 1x, eat (at least) 2x rule, so we eat a lot of leftovers. Tonight is warm taco slaw (the Mexican version of egg roll in a bowl). It's very easy, and we top with cheese, avocado, green onion, salsa & sour cream

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3046 on: January 22, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »
French onion soup.  I've never tried to make it before, and am looking forward to it.  Making the french bread that goes on top, too.  Will serve with spinach salads.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #3047 on: January 23, 2021, 02:27:52 AM »
Tonight we had instant pot creamy pumpkin carrot soup and fresh whole wheat chia flaxseed bread. So delicious! The perfect dinner for a cold, dreary day. Dessert (which was eaten before dinner) was chocolate brownies topped with leftover candy cane bits.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3048 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »
We're having creamy garlic chicken tonight. I'll probably keep a bit of the sauce on the side, as my 14 y.o isn't a mushroom fan. https://gimmedelicious.com/creamy-garlic-mushroom-chicken/

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3049 on: January 23, 2021, 01:57:15 PM »
https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/. With salad, and perhaps pasta for the 16-year old.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!