Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 563008 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #600 on: March 10, 2022, 08:15:02 AM »
In my mind, I've drawn a parallel to a schoolyard  fight where a jock is beating up a nerd. The other kids feel sorry for the nerd, they might offer Band Aids, they might help him to his feet when he goes down, they might even buy him elbow pads and a helmet to mitigate the damage a tiny bit, but what they WON'T do is...actually make the bully stop beating up the nerd. It just keeps happening and happening and happening.

Back to the macro scale, it's a very helpless feeling. We spend a gazillion dollars on our military, but we can't do anything when Russia (apparently) attacks hospitals and civilian escape routes.  I wonder where our red lines are? What if Russia breaks out chemical weapons? Do we just watch no matter what happens?  (I realize the answer might have to be "yes").

If the only thing that doesn't count as "just watching" in your view is sending in US troops or committing to firing on Russian planes, then I think the answer is that the red line we have is the invasion of a NATO country and nothing short of that, no matter how horrible, is going to shift the calculus that global thermonuclear war is worse.

Instead of your analogy to a schoolyard bully where a bunch of kids ganging up really could solve the issue, consider a bank robber with a bunch of explosives and ball bearings strapped to his chest on a dead man's trigger who has taken 20 people hostage in a bank. He beats of some of the hostages. Shoots one of them. At what point do you storm the bank, knowing that if you don't he is killing and hurting people and will almost certainly continue, but that if you do all the people you're trying to protect will almost certainly die, plus the people you send in to try to save them?

...But if he takes a single NATO member hostage then all of a sudden the calculus changes?  If we truly fear MAD then there is no line he can cross where MAD suddenly becomes preferable, because literally anything is preferable to extinction.  He has a golden nuke with unlimited power.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #601 on: March 10, 2022, 08:25:00 AM »
In my mind, I've drawn a parallel to a schoolyard  fight where a jock is beating up a nerd. The other kids feel sorry for the nerd, they might offer Band Aids, they might help him to his feet when he goes down, they might even buy him elbow pads and a helmet to mitigate the damage a tiny bit, but what they WON'T do is...actually make the bully stop beating up the nerd. It just keeps happening and happening and happening.

Back to the macro scale, it's a very helpless feeling. We spend a gazillion dollars on our military, but we can't do anything when Russia (apparently) attacks hospitals and civilian escape routes.  I wonder where our red lines are? What if Russia breaks out chemical weapons? Do we just watch no matter what happens?  (I realize the answer might have to be "yes").

If the only thing that doesn't count as "just watching" in your view is sending in US troops or committing to firing on Russian planes, then I think the answer is that the red line we have is the invasion of a NATO country and nothing short of that, no matter how horrible, is going to shift the calculus that global thermonuclear war is worse.

Instead of your analogy to a schoolyard bully where a bunch of kids ganging up really could solve the issue, consider a bank robber with a bunch of explosives and ball bearings strapped to his chest on a dead man's trigger who has taken 20 people hostage in a bank. He beats of some of the hostages. Shoots one of them. At what point do you storm the bank, knowing that if you don't he is killing and hurting people and will almost certainly continue, but that if you do all the people you're trying to protect will almost certainly die, plus the people you send in to try to save them?

...But if he takes a single NATO member hostage then all of a sudden the calculus changes?  If we truly fear MAD then there is no line he can cross where MAD suddenly becomes preferable, because literally anything is preferable to extinction.  He has a golden nuke with unlimited power.

bib So does the USA.

Nuclear weapons, other than in the hands of a madman, are essentially defensive rather than offensive.

There's a genocide going in in China at the moment, against the Uighurs, I don't see the USA doing anything about that.

Or how about a non-nuclear power: there's a genocide going on in Ethiopia at the moment, is the USA going to do anything about that?

Why is Ukraine different enough to potentially get the nukes out for?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:29:57 AM by former player »

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #602 on: March 10, 2022, 08:27:59 AM »
The "red line" of attacking a NATO country seems so arbitrary to me.  The reasoning no one can step in and directly help is because NATO is not an offensive treaty, and god forbid anyone attack russia because OMG NUKES WW3! but the ultimate extension of that logic is that it's never appropriate to attack Russia.  If allowing Russia to genocide a country is preferable to potentially invoking WW3 because everyone is scared shitless, then why doesn't it also apply when he attacks a NATO country?  I know NATO is supposed to defend all members, but if he attacks Poland what is the better scenario: We allow Poland to be attacked, or we fight back and risk WW3?  If WW3 is so terrible I don't see how the calculus changes when the genocide moves from Ukraine and goes 1 inch into NATO territory; if losing Ukraine is preferable to MAD, then surely losing Poland is also preferable to MAD.  We are allowing him to terrorize the world. I understand not wanting to go into Russia proper and attack them, but no one is seriously suggesting that, the only suggestions are to possibly attack Russia while they are invading Ukraine.

I also don't understand the arguments of "lets cripple them economically and wait for them to collapse" as an argument that we can't attack, or at a minimum defend Ukraine.  Russia says setting up a no-fly zone would be a declaration of war, but so fucking what? It's not Russia's airspace so I don't understand why anyone takes that demand seriously.  It's straight up terrorism: I'm going to take Ukraine, and if any other country tries to come into THEIR airspace we will nuke them.  What? It's fucking insane that anyone is tolerating that bullshit.  And if the logic is that we must acquiesce to all of Russia's insane and illogical demands because we fear MAD, then I don't understand how it makes sense to cripple them economically.  Like it's some kind of "gotcha" technicality that we can sanction them to hell and back and arguable do more damage to the country than a few fighters that aren't even in Russia's territory, and Russia somehow can't retaliate against anyone because of a technicality, even though they are openly committing war crimes.  He's using all the conventions that outlaw war crimes as a god damn check list, but we are all banking on the fact that we can ruin their economy with no repercussions because he technically can't attack us since it wasn't a direct attack, even though this entire situation is because he directly attacked a sovereign country completely unprovoked.

I sure hope the powers that be are playing some 4d chess and making moves that are beyond my comprehension to bring about the best possible solution with the lowest amount of casualties, because it sure is frustrating to watch this shit go down in real time and feel so helpless.

You expressed your thoughts probably a lot better than I did. I share all of these questions and concerns. I'm not sure who has the answers (hopefully General Milley and others do).

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 10, 2022, 08:34:40 AM »
This hour-long lecture about Russia by a Finnish intelligence colonel was really helpful to me, and IMO worth the watch (subtitles available): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF9KretXqJw&t=1903s

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #604 on: March 10, 2022, 08:36:28 AM »
Putin would just have to withdraw.  There is no such thing as a World War III anymore.. nuclear bombs put an end to world wars.. there's no way he'd use one..

There is very much such a thing as World War III. All thousands of nuclear bombs in missile silos and submarines and circling bombers across the globe ensures is that there is no such thing as World War IV.

May I suggest Level 7 as good reading?

Or if TV is more your style: Threads (British) or The Day After (Set in the USA).

This is the stuff our parents' generations knew by heart. I grew up 30 year interval where it was possible to pretend the threat of nuclear annihilation wasn't real. Maybe you did too. But the reality and consequences of nuclear war haven't changed. We just didn't have to think about it as much as previous generations did. Until now.

Oh my, I must be old. I grew up in Nebraska and was 9 when The Day After came out. I had a palpable fear of the USSR and nuclear holocaust for years thereafter.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #605 on: March 10, 2022, 08:39:46 AM »
The "red line" of attacking a NATO country seems so arbitrary to me.  The reasoning no one can step in and directly help is because NATO is not an offensive treaty, and god forbid anyone attack russia because OMG NUKES WW3! but the ultimate extension of that logic is that it's never appropriate to attack Russia.  If allowing Russia to genocide a country is preferable to potentially invoking WW3 because everyone is scared shitless, then why doesn't it also apply when he attacks a NATO country?  I know NATO is supposed to defend all members, but if he attacks Poland what is the better scenario: We allow Poland to be attacked, or we fight back and risk WW3?  If WW3 is so terrible I don't see how the calculus changes when the genocide moves from Ukraine and goes 1 inch into NATO territory; if losing Ukraine is preferable to MAD, then surely losing Poland is also preferable to MAD.  We are allowing him to terrorize the world. I understand not wanting to go into Russia proper and attack them, but no one is seriously suggesting that, the only suggestions are to possibly attack Russia while they are invading Ukraine.

I also don't understand the arguments of "lets cripple them economically and wait for them to collapse" as an argument that we can't attack, or at a minimum defend Ukraine.  Russia says setting up a no-fly zone would be a declaration of war, but so fucking what? It's not Russia's airspace so I don't understand why anyone takes that demand seriously.  It's straight up terrorism: I'm going to take Ukraine, and if any other country tries to come into THEIR airspace we will nuke them.  What? It's fucking insane that anyone is tolerating that bullshit.  And if the logic is that we must acquiesce to all of Russia's insane and illogical demands because we fear MAD, then I don't understand how it makes sense to cripple them economically.  Like it's some kind of "gotcha" technicality that we can sanction them to hell and back and arguable do more damage to the country than a few fighters that aren't even in Russia's territory, and Russia somehow can't retaliate against anyone because of a technicality, even though they are openly committing war crimes.  He's using all the conventions that outlaw war crimes as a god damn check list, but we are all banking on the fact that we can ruin their economy with no repercussions because he technically can't attack us since it wasn't a direct attack, even though this entire situation is because he directly attacked a sovereign country completely unprovoked.

I sure hope the powers that be are playing some 4d chess and making moves that are beyond my comprehension to bring about the best possible solution with the lowest amount of casualties, because it sure is frustrating to watch this shit go down in real time and feel so helpless.

You expressed your thoughts probably a lot better than I did. I share all of these questions and concerns. I'm not sure who has the answers (hopefully General Milley and others do).

Same.

As far as I can see, there's really only 2 ways this gets resolved: Putin is removed from power by someone internal to Russia, or Russia collapses economically/socially/politically/other sufficiently to force the cessation of attacks. Both have their own secondary problems. No matter what, a lot of innocent people are going to get hurt.

The really depressing part is this isn't the last time the world is going to see these types of conflict break out. Climate change is going to trigger a lot more.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: March 10, 2022, 08:56:51 AM »

bib So does the USA.

Nuclear weapons, other than in the hands of a madman, are essentially defensive rather than offensive.

There's a genocide going in in China at the moment, against the Uighurs, I don't see the USA doing anything about that.

Or how about a non-nuclear power: there's a genocide going on in Ethiopia at the moment, is the USA going to do anything about that?

Why is Ukraine different enough to potentially get the nukes out for?

Yeah, but Putin's swinging his around threatening to use it against everyone offensively, no one else is doing that.

Yes those are infuriating also, as well as Burma. I think Ukraine is different because it's so in your face and visible.  The entire world is watching it live streamed on every channel.   But if none of those atrocities call for brining the nukes out, then literally nothing does.  There is no scenario where global extinction is preferable to anything, no matter how horrendous it is.  Ukraine can fall, a NATO country can fall, an ethnic group can be completely cleansed.  A full scale holocaust could go down, and it would be technically preferable to extinction via MAD, and therefore will be tolerated.  And forget about even bringing the nukes out, apparently directly confronting any nation in control of nukes is also completely off the table because it could escalate to MAD. And Russia has just shined a spot light on this fact.

The message to genocidal dictators with nukes is clear: We will shake our fists extremely hard and economically sanction you, so make sure your economy can weather sanctions and be self reliant if you want to indiscriminately murder innocent people and terrorize the world.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 10, 2022, 09:10:37 AM »
The message to genocidal dictators with nukes is clear: We will shake our fists extremely hard and economically sanction you, so make sure your economy can weather sanctions and be self reliant if you want to indiscriminately murder innocent people and terrorize the world.
Yes, but that way lies North Korea.  There can't be that many genocidal dictators who want to run the equivalent of North Korea. Even Putin would rather not do that, it's just a matter of his realising that's where he's currently headed.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: March 10, 2022, 09:24:30 AM »

Yes, Prime Minister covered this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o861Ka9TtT4

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #609 on: March 10, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »
Putin and Russia are fucked.  But that just brings me back to my original post.  Sanctioning them to bajeesus and back so that they are isolated and a pariah, and they are absolutely crushed economically is somehow not an act of aggression that will escalate (despite Russia claiming it is), but putting planes into Ukrainian airspace is somehow an act of aggression that no one will commit for fear of WW3, even though that's just a rule Russia has made up and no agrees with.  I don't understand why one is acceptable and the other isn't, especially when the severity of the actions seems so far apart.  Putting jets into Ukraine's airspace would be bad for Russia, but not nearly as bad as wrecking their entire economy, but the world has no fear from imposing the latter, but is absolutely terrified of the former. 

Like I said, it seems to be some kind of "gotcha" technicality, but Russia isn't following any kind of convention or playing by any of the rules anyway.  They are playing by their own rules they made up, and everyone is just allowing it.

It's like the jock is bullying kids, and no one dares punch him in the face while he's on top of the nerd and pummeling them for fear of him detonating nukes, but they will go steal all of his money and ban him from doing business without fear of repercussion, even though the latter is far more aggressive and should be interpreted as a much greater threat than simply getting punched in the face IMO. 

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: March 10, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »
This hour-long lecture about Russia by a Finnish intelligence colonel was really helpful to me, and IMO worth the watch (subtitles available): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF9KretXqJw&t=1903s

That was an excellent lecture.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #611 on: March 10, 2022, 10:17:56 AM »
Putin would just have to withdraw.  There is no such thing as a World War III anymore.. nuclear bombs put an end to world wars.. there's no way he'd use one..

There is very much such a thing as World War III. All thousands of nuclear bombs in missile silos and submarines and circling bombers across the globe ensures is that there is no such thing as World War IV.

May I suggest Level 7 as good reading?

Or if TV is more your style: Threads (British) or The Day After (Set in the USA).

This is the stuff our parents' generations knew by heart. I grew up 30 year interval where it was possible to pretend the threat of nuclear annihilation wasn't real. Maybe you did too. But the reality and consequences of nuclear war haven't changed. We just didn't have to think about it as much as previous generations did. Until now.

Oh my, I must be old. I grew up in Nebraska and was 9 when The Day After came out. I had a palpable fear of the USSR and nuclear holocaust for years thereafter.

I grew up in DC and lived about 3.5 miles from the White House. After the Day After (when I was about 12?) I realized it was probably lucky we lived in the immediate blast zone and wouldn't have to die slow lingering deaths from radiation poisoning. Not a time of my life I'm enjoying revisiting...

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: March 10, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »

But it's worse than that. The other kids are armed to the teeth and would thug beat the bully in a second if only the nerd was in the right gang.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: March 10, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »
I'm not calling for nuclear war.  I am saying I don't believe Putin would use a bomb.  I think he'd retreat.
And nobody would blow themselves up just to take a hand full of unbelievers with them.

Putin plays the long game too.  Putin knows that the goal of the firm is to make money.  Let's say he takes Ukraine.  It won't be long after that he dangles some offer that the West cannot deny.  He will make a minor concession and the West will use it as an excuse to trade with him again.  He knows this.  For example, he could participate in this "Council of Europe" in a few months.  All the news reporters would then be saying he is turning a "new leaf."  Tucker Carlson would rant that the world is mistreating Putin.  Other reporters would say that Ukraine has always been a part of Russia.  They would, in fact, parrot his lines.
I think this time he has done too much.

But if none of those atrocities call for brining the nukes out, then literally nothing does.  There is no scenario where global extinction is preferable to anything, no matter how horrendous it is.  Ukraine can fall, a NATO country can fall, an ethnic group can be completely cleansed.
The important difference here is that Putin cannot win a non-nuclear war against NATO.
In Ukraine he attacked to get a fast victory, fulfill hid dream and use the victory and the sanctions as propaganda to secure power for the rest fo this life.
If he attack NATO, it's a decision between a heavy loss or mutual destruction.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:04:05 AM by LennStar »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 10, 2022, 11:16:35 AM »
I had to look when "The Day After" came out.  It was 1983.

Then I think back to what I remember hearing as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZVu0alU0I

Change the lyrics just a bit and it is still valid today.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: March 10, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »
Now that is interesting:

Even Russian State TV Is Pleading With Putin to Stop the War

"State propagandists called for Putin to end the “special military operation” before “frightening” sanctions destabilize his regime and risk civil war in Russia."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/even-russias-state-tv-admits-ukraine-disaster-has-putin-in-trouble?ref=home

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: March 10, 2022, 11:49:42 AM »
This is what is going on in the Ukrainian countryside.
Western anti-armor weaponry has surely arrived and is being put to use.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1501967817247281158
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:00:28 PM by PeteD01 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #618 on: March 10, 2022, 12:54:13 PM »
Russia says setting up a no-fly zone would be a declaration of war, but so fucking what? It's not Russia's airspace so I don't understand why anyone takes that demand seriously.  It's straight up terrorism: I'm going to take Ukraine, and if any other country tries to come into THEIR airspace we will nuke them.  What? It's fucking insane that anyone is tolerating that bullshit.  And if the logic is that we must acquiesce to all of Russia's insane and illogical demands because we fear MAD, then I don't understand how it makes sense to cripple them economically.

I keep thinking this through in my head, and your logic does seem sound.

There's no reason at all to avoid defending Ukraine's airspace.  It might escalate things with Russia . . . but that's entirely on Russia.  They escalated things by invading a sovereign nation without cause.  A policy of appeasement in the hopes of avoiding war has not historically worked out all that well when tried against an unreasonable aggressor in Europe.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #619 on: March 10, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
Russia says setting up a no-fly zone would be a declaration of war, but so fucking what? It's not Russia's airspace so I don't understand why anyone takes that demand seriously.  It's straight up terrorism: I'm going to take Ukraine, and if any other country tries to come into THEIR airspace we will nuke them.  What? It's fucking insane that anyone is tolerating that bullshit.  And if the logic is that we must acquiesce to all of Russia's insane and illogical demands because we fear MAD, then I don't understand how it makes sense to cripple them economically.

There's no reason at all to avoid defending Ukraine's airspace.  It might escalate things with Russia . . . but that's entirely on Russia.  They escalated things by invading a sovereign nation without cause.  A policy of appeasement in the hopes of avoiding war has not historically worked out all that well when tried against an unreasonable aggressor in Europe.

I was listening to an NPR interview on Sunday, where some congresscritter was explaining this, and I apologize for mangling the interpretation, but what he said was basically that the US won't impose a no-fly zone unless we can keep our pilots safe (-ish, I guess). Which means taking out Russian anti-aircraft installations on the Ukranian/Russian border, but INSIDE Russia. Which means dropping actual explosives inside Russia. Which ... I think we can see where this is going no?

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: March 10, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »

I agree it is arbitrary but it boils down to drawing a red line in advance rather than after the fact. That's how mutually assured destruction works:

You draw some line in the sand, say "if you cross this we both die" and then (hopefully) they don't cross it and we all live to see tomorrow.

Saying "you crossed the invisible line I didn't tell you about in advance already, so now we shall both die" defeats the ultimate goal A) not dying B) still putting some constraints on your nuclear armed opponent's actions instead of letting them do whatever the hell they want for fear of WW III.

It's also why it is so important that Biden is putting US soldiers into Poland, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. It's not that a few hundred or a few thousand soldiers would be able to stop Russian invasions of any of those countires, but because it makes the red line more credible. The USA might or might not be willing to go to war to defend a country many of us cannot find on a map. And even if we are willing to go to war, a Russian military planner could talk themself into the fact that that we wouldn't (the same "they'll have no choice but to back down" we've heard about Russia over and over in this thread).

But no one in Russia is going to believe that Russian soldiers can directly kill US soldiers and the USA will still back down. An invasion of any of those four countries would necessarily involve killing the US soldiers stationed there. As a result it is harder for Russia to talk themselves into believing the red line is not really a red line, and as a result of the line being more credible it is less likely the Russians will cross it in the first place.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #621 on: March 10, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »

I agree it is arbitrary but it boils down to drawing a red line in advance rather than after the fact. That's how mutually assured destruction works:

You draw some line in the sand, say "if you cross this we both die" and then (hopefully) they don't cross it and we all live to see tomorrow.

Saying "you crossed the invisible line I didn't tell you about in advance already, so now we shall both die" defeats the ultimate goal A) not dying B) still putting some constraints on your nuclear armed opponent's actions instead of letting them do whatever the hell they want for fear of WW III.

It's also why it is so important that Biden is putting US soldiers into Poland, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. It's not that a few hundred or a few thousand soldiers would be able to stop Russian invasions of any of those countires, but because it makes the red line more credible. The USA might or might not be willing to go to war to defend a country many of us cannot find on a map. And even if we are willing to go to war, a Russian military planner could talk themself into the fact that that we wouldn't (the same "they'll have no choice but to back down" we've heard about Russia over and over in this thread).

But no one in Russia is going to believe that Russian soldiers can directly kill US soldiers and the USA will still back down. An invasion of any of those four countries would necessarily involve killing the US soldiers stationed there. As a result it is harder for Russia to talk themselves into believing the red line is not really a red line, and as a result of the line being more credible it is less likely the Russians will cross it in the first place.

Well put. I started to write something similar but couldn't quite find the words and deleted my post.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: March 10, 2022, 02:58:51 PM »
I have to wonder if there's a whole lot of projection going on from the Russian Putin side.  We, as westerners, have zero interest in invading Russia, so we think it's weird that Russians want to invade their neighbors.  However, Putin is obviously *very* interested in invading his neighbors, so perhaps his instinct is to believe that the West wants to invade Russia in turn?  Or, put another way, since Putin clearly has imperial ambitions, and wants to conquer other countries, he assumes other countries have the same ambitions?

Agreed.  I'm trying to think of a time when appeasement worked.  I suppose you could point at North/South Korea, since they've been fairly peaceful for about 70 years, despite ceding the northern half of the country.  Certainly it hasn't worked, historically, in Europe.

There is a huge capability gap between Russia and everyone else, in terms of incremental responses.  Everyone else has everything from economic sanctions, to supplying arms to Ukraine, to supplying money to Ukraine, to all sorts of direct, conventional warfare, all the way up to nuclear strikes.  And all of that is backed by economies that are functioning just fine, albeit with higher fuel costs.  In other words, we have a whole spectrum of increasingly-painful ways to respond to Russia's aggression without actually putting our own people in harm's way.

What leverage does Russia have?  They have a military, and could ratchet up the war crimes until we say "enough" or they have destroyed the entire country.  They could cut off natural gas supplies to Europe (but that might harm them more than it would harm Europe, and would devastate them in the long run as Europe transitions off of Russian oil).  They have chemical weapons, and they have nukes.  And Putin apparently has few inhibitions against sacrificing the lives of his subjects.  With few levers at hand, he's using what he can, which at this point means mass destruction and incrementally-worse war crimes. 

What if we flipped the script, and forced him to deal with the same sort of incrementalism the Russians are displaying?

We're supplying infantry weapons currently, and presumably (hopefully!) a lot of intel, and thus far, Putin hasn't responded with either of his last two cards--nukes or chemical weapons.  The international sanctions have devalued the Ruble tremendously, and frozen much of Russia's assets, and while they have vocally complained, it hasn't crossed their red line (if there is one).  What if we started to supply, say, fuel?  Fuel trucks?  Anti tank barricades?  Radar systems?  An MLRS or dozen? Personnel to train the UA on the MLRS?  The MiG-29's from Poland?  Some light artillery? Heavier artillery?  What if we start flying unmanned, unarmed drones around Ukraine, with the Ukrainian government's permission, as "observers"?  Which of those is a step too far for the Russians to tolerate?

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 10, 2022, 03:23:14 PM »
I have to wonder if there's a whole lot of projection going on from the Russian Putin side.  We, as westerners, have zero interest in invading Russia, so we think it's weird that Russians want to invade their neighbors.  However, Putin is obviously *very* interested in invading his neighbors, so perhaps his instinct is to believe that the West wants to invade Russia in turn?

Western European powers have invaded Russia three times in last two centuries, and the NATO members don't exactly have the most stellar reputation when it comes to invading others countries and toppling foreign governments.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #624 on: March 10, 2022, 03:30:28 PM »
I have to wonder if there's a whole lot of projection going on from the Russian Putin side.  We, as westerners, have zero interest in invading Russia, so we think it's weird that Russians want to invade their neighbors.  However, Putin is obviously *very* interested in invading his neighbors, so perhaps his instinct is to believe that the West wants to invade Russia in turn?  Or, put another way, since Putin clearly has imperial ambitions, and wants to conquer other countries, he assumes other countries have the same ambitions?

Agreed.  I'm trying to think of a time when appeasement worked.  I suppose you could point at North/South Korea, since they've been fairly peaceful for about 70 years, despite ceding the northern half of the country.  Certainly it hasn't worked, historically, in Europe.

There is a huge capability gap between Russia and everyone else, in terms of incremental responses.  Everyone else has everything from economic sanctions, to supplying arms to Ukraine, to supplying money to Ukraine, to all sorts of direct, conventional warfare, all the way up to nuclear strikes.  And all of that is backed by economies that are functioning just fine, albeit with higher fuel costs.  In other words, we have a whole spectrum of increasingly-painful ways to respond to Russia's aggression without actually putting our own people in harm's way.

What leverage does Russia have?  They have a military, and could ratchet up the war crimes until we say "enough" or they have destroyed the entire country.  They could cut off natural gas supplies to Europe (but that might harm them more than it would harm Europe, and would devastate them in the long run as Europe transitions off of Russian oil).  They have chemical weapons, and they have nukes.  And Putin apparently has few inhibitions against sacrificing the lives of his subjects.  With few levers at hand, he's using what he can, which at this point means mass destruction and incrementally-worse war crimes. 

What if we flipped the script, and forced him to deal with the same sort of incrementalism the Russians are displaying?

We're supplying infantry weapons currently, and presumably (hopefully!) a lot of intel, and thus far, Putin hasn't responded with either of his last two cards--nukes or chemical weapons.  The international sanctions have devalued the Ruble tremendously, and frozen much of Russia's assets, and while they have vocally complained, it hasn't crossed their red line (if there is one).  What if we started to supply, say, fuel?  Fuel trucks?  Anti tank barricades?  Radar systems?  An MLRS or dozen? Personnel to train the UA on the MLRS?  The MiG-29's from Poland?  Some light artillery? Heavier artillery?  What if we start flying unmanned, unarmed drones around Ukraine, with the Ukrainian government's permission, as "observers"?  Which of those is a step too far for the Russians to tolerate?

The US military firing on Russian soldiers would do it.     Shooting down Russian planes.   Destroying Russian armour and air defense.    Any direct conflict between the US and Russia.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: March 10, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
_ SNIP-

At least the MiG-29's from Poland. 

The US is not the only folks supplying them stuff.   The US is not the only country that builds sophisticated military hardware  For example, the Ukrainians have been getting drones from Turkey.  I never considered Turkey as manufacturing such stuff.  Maybe, it's time for the entire world to begin doing as you suggested.  This would be a great test site for the powers of the world to find out how the weapons work in an actual war.

Putin can only take the entire world on if he uses nukes.  Hopefully, someone will slap his hand as he reaches for the big red button.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: March 10, 2022, 03:43:33 PM »
The US military firing on Russian soldiers would do it.     Shooting down Russian planes.   Destroying Russian armour and air defense.    Any direct conflict between the US and Russia.

That's an untested hypothesis. In particular there is historic president in the Korean war for one side to covertly provide planes and pilots without starting a nuclear war or WWIII.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 03:47:14 PM by PDXTabs »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 10, 2022, 04:08:53 PM »
_ SNIP-

At least the MiG-29's from Poland. 
But why would planes be a red line, while drones are not?  From what I've seen, all the "MiG-29's will incite the Russians to nuke!" concerns have been pure speculation, with little rational basis.  I mean, do you seriously think Putin would consider the Polish blameless if they sent the planes to Rammstein and the US then passed them on to Ukraine?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 10, 2022, 04:43:08 PM »

That's an untested hypothesis. In particular there is historic president in the Korean war for one side to covertly provide planes and pilots without starting a nuclear war or WWIII.

I think you need to put emphasis on the word "covertly" as in "deniably".

I don't understand where all these rules came from, but they're there.    Or, at least they're there until they aren't.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: March 10, 2022, 05:36:13 PM »

We knew about it, they knew about it, everyone pretended it wasn't happening (the pilots, the planes were out in the open).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_in_the_Korean_War
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:38:26 PM by PDXTabs »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: March 10, 2022, 05:53:20 PM »

We knew about it, they knew about it, everyone pretended it wasn't happening (the pilots, the planes were out in the open).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_in_the_Korean_War

The public didn't know back then, and these days it's damn near impossible to hide anything.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 10, 2022, 06:16:21 PM »

I was listening to an NPR interview on Sunday, where some congresscritter was explaining this, and I apologize for mangling the interpretation, but what he said was basically that the US won't impose a no-fly zone unless we can keep our pilots safe (-ish, I guess). Which means taking out Russian anti-aircraft installations on the Ukranian/Russian border, but INSIDE Russia. Which means dropping actual explosives inside Russia. Which ... I think we can see where this is going no?

This is what I've been trying to tell people for days now. It will be impossible to keep any air activities on our part limited to the borders of Ukraine. Our pilots would be flying with a loaded gun pointed at them the entire patrol, and if just one of our pilots was shot down because we didn't pre-emptively go after that SAM site the moment it locked on, the headlines would read "Biden threatening WW3 by upping the ante and getting our pilots killed with weak Rules Of Engagement."  We've put the hammer down on Putin so much lately that he has no incentive not to take a shot at us and try to call our bluff. The Russian people are already brainwashed to believe his NATO aggression/Ukrainian Nazis/Bio weapon labs/Ukrainians shelling themselves bullshit. Putting us in the position to actually bomb their territory ourselves would just confirm everything their media is saying.

Believe me, I hate that we're dancing around these issues in order to avoid getting our own hands bloody. The weapons, supplies, and intel we've given Ukraine has helped them make a global embarrassment of one of the world's largest militaries.  Given enough support and time there is the possibility they could even defeat Russia in the field by themselves; however, countless thousands of Ukrainian noncombatants will die first. Our national policy is written such that its better to start WW3 over a single NATO citizen's death than 1 million of a non-NATO friend.  If there was ever a war to get into of our own volition outside of treaty obligations, this feels like the one.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #632 on: March 10, 2022, 06:28:39 PM »
]But why would planes be a red line, while drones are not?  From what I've seen, all the "MiG-29's will incite the Russians to nuke!" concerns have been pure speculation, with little rational basis.  I mean, do you seriously think Putin would consider the Polish blameless if they sent the planes to Rammstein and the US then passed them on to Ukraine?

Maybe you misunderstood - I was agreeing with you about the planes. One concern I heard was that if they flew the planes in that it would be an act of war.  So, smuggle some Ukraine pilots out and have them fly them in  I also heard they were specially equipped for NATO.  So, un-special equip them.

It has been said that the last good war was World War 2.  I guess they mean that the fight was practically good vs evil.  There was Hitler and the Japanese who subjugated and tortured the Poles, Jewish people and the Chinese.  Many have pointed out the resemblance of this war to aspects of that war.  I've seen comparisons to the Winter War of 1939.  They didn't help the fight against Stalin in 1939.  The world can help with this one.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #633 on: March 10, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »
How many people will be left in Ukraine if this continues on?  More will flee, lots will be killed and eventually a lot will die of starvation as supplies are cut off.  Once the major cities are emptied out and leveled, Russia won't have a lot of trouble with the rest of the country.  It could simply end up being a war of attrition.  Then, it's easy enough to offer the country to it's own people.  As the saying goes, possession is 9/10th of the law.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #634 on: March 10, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »
How many people will be left in Ukraine if this continues on?  More will flee, lots will be killed and eventually a lot will die of starvation as supplies are cut off.  Once the major cities are emptied out and leveled, Russia won't have a lot of trouble with the rest of the country.  It could simply end up being a war of attrition.  Then, it's easy enough to offer the country to it's own people.  As the saying goes, possession is 9/10th of the law.
A war of attrition may appear to be in Russia's favour when you just look at the number of troops and equipment that each side possesses, but I think that's deceptive. Russian people have their limits too, and they may not tolerate several hundred thousand of their young men dying for some "military action" they didn't want and didn't even know about. On the other hand, Ukrainian forces are growing stronger in time. They have mobilized their entire reserve which takes time, as the members have to receive additional training. Their reserve force greatly outnumbers Russia's allotment of troops that they committed to this attack. There's a limit to how many more they can commit as they still have the whole rest of the country to defend.

On the topic of unilaterally engaging Russia without the backing of NATO: That is an action that may eventually lead to the disbanding of NATO. One of the negative aspects of being a NATO member, especially one of the stronger ones, is that it ties the member's hands. If one of the members is attacked, the other members have to come to its defence. That's what they agreed to. This is one reason why becoming a member of NATO is somewhat difficult and they don't just let anyone in. The country needs to be fairly stable. If you have a member that goes around provoking aggressive nations and starts putting itself in harms way to defend non-members, then suddenly the other members are not going to want to have much to do with them. Eventually, the whole alliance could fall apart.

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #635 on: March 10, 2022, 09:25:14 PM »
Regarding questions from earlier around Taiwan and Ukraine and the end outcome of this all.  I think it is more likely than not that this invasion of Ukraine is scaring China away from trying to militarily conquer Taiwan anytime soon.  Uniting the global community against you becomes a very isolating place to be, regardless of how big your economy is - not to mention the fact that once you show your face as an aggressor, no one will trust your word or intentions again.

Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Ukraine are proving that it is awfully hard to conquer countries that don't want to be conquered in this day and age.  Especially when other super powers are committed to supporting the conflict behind the scene and stirring up the pot every chance they get. 

I know what we are seeing and hearing coming out of Ukraine is awful, but caution must be used in these situations.  Getting it wrong by one degree a single time can take a refugee situation of several million and turn it into a global war that involves the loss of billions of lives over the course of a couple hours.  I am grateful that our leaders are showing an abundance of caution and not trading New York City for Kyiv. 

Also keep in mind that this is a political and information war on a global scale as well as a hot war on the ground in Ukraine.  It is important not to provide Putin with any sort of political wins at home - such as attacking Russian solders or providing a situation where this turns into a defensive war for Russia against the west.  Right now Putin has to jump through hoops to try and explain why so many soldiers are dying in what was supposed to be a special military operation with the Ukrainian people welcoming the Russians as liberators.  The longer body bags are returning to Russia, the more Russian family members and communities will be questioning why a liberation required so much sacrifice on their part.  I know it is the most obnoxious approach to have to take, but this is a problem that Putin will eventually have to deal with.  We would be idiots to galvanize public support behind Putin defending Russia at this point.   

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: March 10, 2022, 09:46:10 PM »
Nah, I don't see Russia winning a war of attrition.  Ukraine, with all their reservists, actually outnumber the Russian forces committed to this war.  Russia is limited in how much it can draw forces from other parts of the country--there are plenty of wolves (perceived or real) around other borders. Given the support Ukraine has received from the rest of Europe so far, I don't think they're too worried about the security of their western and southwestern borders.  Western nations are all too happy to supply them with all the weapons the could want, as long as Ukraine can supply the manpower to employ them.

Blender Bender

• Stubble
« Reply #637 on: March 10, 2022, 09:52:31 PM »
Nah, I don't see Russia winning a war of attrition.  Ukraine, with all their reservists, actually outnumber the Russian forces committed to this war.  Russia is limited in how much it can draw forces from other parts of the country--there are plenty of wolves (perceived or real) around other borders. Given the support Ukraine has received from the rest of Europe so far, I don't think they're too worried about the security of their western and southwestern borders.  Western nations are all too happy to supply them with all the weapons the could want, as long as Ukraine can supply the manpower to employ them.

There’s a risk orban attempting taking Zakarpattia.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #638 on: March 10, 2022, 10:41:52 PM »
I think Putin’s scorched-earth policy shows they had no real plan other than marching into Kyiv and taking over on day 2. The Russians were absolutely not ready for a sad lasting more than 48 hours. Now time is on Ukraine’s side, as nato funnels weapons for the guerrilla tactics needed to grind Russian heavy weapons into the ground. I still think a stalemate where Ukraine loses a large amount of territory will happen, but they will at least make Putin think twice about any more shenanigans. They may even get the territory back in a few years if Putin is toppled by this craziness.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 10, 2022, 10:57:30 PM »
I also wonder when does one country (Russia) view others as 'declaring war' against them? I mean, I read about the Polish idea with the fighter planes. If (and I realize we probably won't) the US assisted in moving fighter planes to Urkaine how the hell is that any different, in Putin's view, than the US deploying our direct resources? Honestly I don't see how he doesn't view the other European countries providing missiles, 'defensive' or otherwise, to be an act of war. I don't pretend to understand any of this.

Suppose the US decides to sell a bunch of modern jets cheap to the Polish, but somehow the Polish get REALLY careless about security of the old planes? And somehow a bunch of rogue Ukrainian pilots manage to steal them?
I know, this is getting into fantasy territory, but why should Putin be the only one allowed to play in this farce? He makes up a fake reason to invade Ukraine, NATO countries pretend they're not involved.  He rages that Poland gave jet fighters to Ukraine, Poland promises that whoever was responsible for the lax security will surely be fired.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: March 10, 2022, 11:05:42 PM »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #641 on: March 11, 2022, 01:39:46 AM »
I also wonder when does one country (Russia) view others as 'declaring war' against them? I mean, I read about the Polish idea with the fighter planes. If (and I realize we probably won't) the US assisted in moving fighter planes to Urkaine how the hell is that any different, in Putin's view, than the US deploying our direct resources? Honestly I don't see how he doesn't view the other European countries providing missiles, 'defensive' or otherwise, to be an act of war. I don't pretend to understand any of this.

Suppose the US decides to sell a bunch of modern jets cheap to the Polish, but somehow the Polish get REALLY careless about security of the old planes? And somehow a bunch of rogue Ukrainian pilots manage to steal them?
I know, this is getting into fantasy territory, but why should Putin be the only one allowed to play in this farce? He makes up a fake reason to invade Ukraine, NATO countries pretend they're not involved.  He rages that Poland gave jet fighters to Ukraine, Poland promises that whoever was responsible for the lax security will surely be fired.

Yeah. I mean the Ukraine pilots now know where the fighter are, and since there was a transfer offered, they surely are flight-ready, right?
Imagine a bunch of pilots running in their and forcing the few guards with drawn weapons to surrender. Then they take the planes.
Damn Nazis stealing weapons from their neighbors!!

That's exactly how Putin would have done it.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 11, 2022, 04:52:40 AM »
I have to wonder if there's a whole lot of projection going on from the Russian Putin side.  We, as westerners, have zero interest in invading Russia, so we think it's weird that Russians want to invade their neighbors.  However, Putin is obviously *very* interested in invading his neighbors, so perhaps his instinct is to believe that the West wants to invade Russia in turn?

Western European powers have invaded Russia three times in last two centuries, and the NATO members don't exactly have the most stellar reputation when it comes to invading others countries and toppling foreign governments.

Let's make it three centuries and you can count Sweden to... the battle of Poltava ended the days when Sweden was a major force in Europe even if it took a hundred years until we lost all overseas possessions.

For @zolotiyeruki  - may I recommend watching that Finnish lecture that was posted earlier.  It was actually enlightening and made by a guy who seem to know his stuff.  It explains part of the invasion fear. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #643 on: March 11, 2022, 07:33:06 AM »

This is what I've been trying to tell people for days now. It will be impossible to keep any air activities on our part limited to the borders of Ukraine. Our pilots would be flying with a loaded gun pointed at them the entire patrol, and if just one of our pilots was shot down because we didn't pre-emptively go after that SAM site the moment it locked on, the headlines would read "Biden threatening WW3 by upping the ante and getting our pilots killed with weak Rules Of Engagement."  We've put the hammer down on Putin so much lately that he has no incentive not to take a shot at us and try to call our bluff. The Russian people are already brainwashed to believe his NATO aggression/Ukrainian Nazis/Bio weapon labs/Ukrainians shelling themselves bullshit. Putting us in the position to actually bomb their territory ourselves would just confirm everything their media is saying.

Believe me, I hate that we're dancing around these issues in order to avoid getting our own hands bloody. The weapons, supplies, and intel we've given Ukraine has helped them make a global embarrassment of one of the world's largest militaries.  Given enough support and time there is the possibility they could even defeat Russia in the field by themselves; however, countless thousands of Ukrainian noncombatants will die first. Our national policy is written such that its better to start WW3 over a single NATO citizen's death than 1 million of a non-NATO friend.  If there was ever a war to get into of our own volition outside of treaty obligations, this feels like the one.

Not sure I buy these arguments.

If the concern is that flying close to the border of Ukraine will open up planes to Russian anti-air from Russia, just set a no fly buffer zone of a certain distance at the border.  And then blow the shit out of anything that crosses over from safely on the Ukrainian side.  If Russia doesn't like having their aircraft blown up while invading another country, maybe they'll realize that they shouldn't invade another country.

The Russian people are now in a bubble.  The only 'truth' they get is what Putin tells them.  So because no truth exists in Russia, it seems silly to worry about how the Russian people will react to what's really going on.  They're never going to get the real story anyway . . . so let's stop worrying about how we're perceived through that curtain of lies.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: March 11, 2022, 07:33:30 AM »
The Operational and Legal Risks of a No-Fly Zone Over Ukrainian Skies

"I approach this question from both an operational and a legal perspective.  Twenty years ago, I served as a tactical jet aviator with the U.S. Navy, playing a small role in helping to enforce the no-fly zone over southern Iraq. From personal experience, I can attest that no-fly zones are not benign air patrols. Even in instances where the U.S. enjoys immediate air superiority­ over the skies, we should anticipate that U.S. and NATO planes will be fired upon.  In what follows, I address a host of questions that should be answered and understood well before this is viewed as a remotely credible policy option."
"The international response to date has been encouraging. The United States and its allies and partners should allow some time for the punishing economic sanctions to take effect while supplying the brave Ukrainians with the weapons and resources they need to continue their heroic fight. But unless conditions in Ukraine fundamentally change, U.S. and allied policymakers should remove any discussion of a Ukraine no-fly zone from the table as a credible policy option."

https://www.justsecurity.org/80641/the-operational-and-legal-risks-of-a-no-fly-zone-over-ukrainian-skies/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:37:19 AM by PeteD01 »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 11, 2022, 07:40:06 AM »

Not sure I buy these arguments.

If the concern is that flying close to the border of Ukraine will open up planes to Russian anti-air from Russia, just set a no fly buffer zone of a certain distance at the border.  And then blow the shit out of anything that crosses over from safely on the Ukrainian side.  If Russia doesn't like having their aircraft blown up while invading another country, maybe they'll realize that they shouldn't invade another country.

The Russian people are now in a bubble.  The only 'truth' they get is what Putin tells them.  So because no truth exists in Russia, it seems silly to worry about how the Russian people will react to what's really going on.  They're never going to get the real story anyway . . . so let's stop worrying about how we're perceived through that curtain of lies.
A no-fly zone covering only part of Ukraine would effectively cede part of Ukraine to Russia, which is something that couldn't be done without Ukrainian agreement - which is not going to come.  And why should it?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #646 on: March 11, 2022, 07:43:22 AM »
Finally had drinks with my friend originally from Russia. She looks like she doesn't know whether to laugh, or cry. She has family in Russia, and knows people in Ukraine, including 2 households in kyiv. Her nationalist family members believe that Russia is: fighting neo Nazis. (Ukraine is) bombing themselves.  That Russia is "saving" Ukraine from itself. But also that it is all US and Nato fault. When I say, why Ukraine be fighting- Ukraine? Why if neo Nazis controlled the country, they elected a Jewish man for president? She says what are they supposed to believe, there IS no other viewpoint.State news runs 24/7.  And the 25% who don't believe, are not going to fight Putin. If they have the means and money to escape they are doing so. She says that anyone with education, western ties, money, are leaving. And I said, what next? And she said, Russia will become North Korea.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 08:42:35 AM by partgypsy »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #647 on: March 11, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »
Finally had drinks with my friend originally from Russia. She looks like she doesn't know whether to laugh, or cry. She has family in Russia, and knows people in Ukraine, including 2 households in kyiv. Her nationalist family members believe that Russia is: fighting neo Nazis. Bombing themselves.  That Russia is "saving" Ukraine from itself. But also that it is all US and Nato fault. When I say, why Ukraine be fighting- Ukraine? Why if neo Nazis controlled the country, they elected a Jewish man for president? She says what are they supposed to believe, there IS no other viewpoint.State news runs 24/7.  And the 25% who don't believe, are not going to fight Putin. If they have the means and money to escape they are doing so. She says that anyone with education, western ties, money, are leaving. And I said, what next? And she said, Russia beecomes another North Korea.

Sounds like she needed that drink and time with her friend.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: March 11, 2022, 08:00:04 AM »
Finally had drinks with my friend originally from Russia. She looks like she doesn't know whether to laugh, or cry. She has family in Russia, and knows people in Ukraine, including 2 households in kyiv. Her nationalist family members believe that Russia is: fighting neo Nazis. Bombing themselves.  That Russia is "saving" Ukraine from itself. But also that it is all US and Nato fault. When I say, why Ukraine be fighting- Ukraine? Why if neo Nazis controlled the country, they elected a Jewish man for president? She says what are they supposed to believe, there IS no other viewpoint.State news runs 24/7.  And the 25% who don't believe, are not going to fight Putin. If they have the means and money to escape they are doing so. She says that anyone with education, western ties, money, are leaving. And I said, what next? And she said, Russia beecomes another North Korea.

There's an estimate that the Russian economy would contract 15% this year because of sanctions.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/rates-bonds/russias-gdp-fall-15-this-year-ukraine-linked-sanctions-iif-2022-03-10/

And sanctions are not the end of it, a lot of western companies are ending business with Russia because reputationally they can't be seen to be doing business with Russia any more.  So that will have additional effects on the economy -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60571133
The cost of the war itself won't help either, with the loss of materiel and payment of compensation for the killed and wounded.

North Korea has a nominal GDP of $1,300 per capita.  Russia's has been about $11,000.  It'll take a while to get down to North Korea levels but the way down will be a shock.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #649 on: March 11, 2022, 08:38:40 AM »
Russian anti-aircraft missiles can reach 100 miles or more. If we established a no-fly zone, there is no scenario in which US/NATO planes do not kill Russian Soldiers on Day 1. None. Any other idea is a fantasy. We established no-fly zones over Iraq and the former Yugoslavia in the 90s and we shot down planes and blew up anti-aircraft sites on the ground. They were combat missions and people were killed.

Even the Polish planes are not that big of deal. Russia somehow failed to gain air superiority and has just been ceding it bit by bit every day the war goes on. Ukraine may not have many planes left, but they've got plenty of missiles and have shot down numerous Russian planes and helicopters. I've seen the pictures of the wreckage on the ground with the tail number matching planes Russian media is showing taking off. Russia can't sustain the loss of even one plane a day for long. These are not just older planes either, some are fairly modern. But they're vulnerable because they've run out of precision guided bombs and are dropping "dumb" bombs that are little different than what was done in WW2. In order to have any chance of hitting their targets they have to go in low which means they can (and do) get shot down.

Would the Polish planes help Ukraine? Yes, but it's not going to make any significant difference. In another week or two Russian planes will probably be to scared to fly inside Ukraine - especially as the Ukrainians keep capturing state-of-the-art Russian anti-aircraft systems. Nothing like watching a $25 million Russian system towed out of a field by a tractor because it ran out of gas (or was abandoned by demoralized troops).