Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 559891 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #1850 on: July 06, 2022, 12:19:08 PM »
I don't think the Russians care about accuracy, and they obviously don't care about taking over abandoned, flattened, burned out territory. So I'm not sure the great accuracy of the various weapons the Ukrainians have will matter. The Russians will just keep sending more old junk and keep slowly advancing, unless something changes.

What exactly Russia gets out of all this I have no idea, of course.

-W

That is my thought as well. Okay, they reduce Ukraine to ruins. I'm sure there are plenty of ruined Russian cities already left over from the Soviet era. Are they seizing Ukrainian farms and wheat capability?

Do they REALLY think NATO would cross their border unprovoked?

This website has plenty of ruined Russian places detailed: https://englishrussia.com/

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1851 on: July 06, 2022, 01:39:07 PM »
I don't think the Russians care about accuracy, and they obviously don't care about taking over abandoned, flattened, burned out territory. So I'm not sure the great accuracy of the various weapons the Ukrainians have will matter. The Russians will just keep sending more old junk and keep slowly advancing, unless something changes.

-W

That is my thought as well. Okay, they reduce Ukraine to ruins. I'm sure there are plenty of ruined Russian cities already left over from the Soviet era. Are they seizing Ukrainian farms and wheat capability?

This website has plenty of ruined Russian places detailed: https://englishrussia.com/

I think it really is as simple as "Ukraine will become part of Russia by any means necessary". 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1852 on: July 06, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »

-W

Defensive depth. Russia has no natural barriers between the rest of Europe and Moscow and has a long memory for being invaded (WW2, WW1, Napoleon, etc.). Even though the idea of Ukraine or NATO invading Russia today may seem absurd, what about 20, 30, 50 years from now? I don't think losing tens of thousands of Soldiers (and everything else) for 100km of extra depth on the wrong axis for an invasion towards Moscow is worth it, but apparently Putin does.

The initial invasion in 2014 pretty much ensured Ukraine would be pinned down in dealing with the situation in Donetsk and Luhansk. Russia really didn't want Ukraine to get any closer to the west. It would be like if Mexico had turned communist during the Cold War. It felt like an existential threat even if no one in the west has any desire to attack Russia. Many wars have started due to miscalculation by one or both sides about the other sides intentions.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1853 on: July 06, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »
One of the fundamental rules of NATO is that no country can enter the alliance if they have an active border dispute.

That fact goes a long way to explain why Russia has invaded pockets of various countries (Georgia, for example).  It also means that Ukraine won't be joining NATO anytime soon.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1854 on: July 06, 2022, 02:50:00 PM »
I don't really have a dog in this fight but I can sort of sympathize (probably too strong a word) with Russia's rationale on invading Ukraine - not that I endorse it.  I do have some thoughts:

1. I told my wife a couple weeks ago (when the western media was all rah-rah about the little-engine-that-could Ukraine upstarts were supposedly taking the fight to the russians) that eventually, whether it's one year or five years, there's going to be a lot of media soul searching about how they got the narrative of russia's progress so wrong.  Similar to WMDs or how the media was so shocked when trump beat hillary.

2. I feel that the western media has been viewing this conflict through a US-centric lens and comparing it to Iraq or Afghanistan.  We didn't go into Iraq with the intention of completely taking over the country, instead we concentrated on strategic pinpoint attacks to take out particular military infrastructure for regime change.  The russian invasion is different to me and the world hasn't seen anything like it in a long time.  It's a straight up takeover.  So yeah, it's to be expected that there's going to be ugly trench warfare with massive losses from artillary and bombing.  The narrative that russia is losing because they didn't take over the entire country in a few weeks or whatever is way off the mark.  Russia now controls a non-insignificant portion of the country in just a few months.  We had 20yrs in Afghanistan and let's not talk about Iraq, and neither of those were a full out invasion.

3. As for what russia gets out of all this.  I agree with the buffer part.  The soviet union was really humiliated and torn apart when the cold war ended.  Similar to Germany after WWI.  It makes some sort of sense that Putin would try to do what he's doing just through the lens of humiliation of the country.  Also, they get a ton of mineral resources and farmland, whether or not infrastructure is destroyed.  All the better if it's destroyed, then russian companies can all get contracts to rebuild.  The US wouldn't be guilty of that now would it?

4. Also, and maybe I'm giving russia too much credit, but to me at least it makes sense that they'd send in their crap weaponry first and hold back on using anything really high tech.  This is a slog, and russia has the patience, and there's also the threat that some western alliance might strike back at russia at some point, so save the good stuff for if that happens.  The low-tech approach is working, it's just slow (again, slow in the eyes of the western world who hasn't fought a war like this in 70 years). 

Maybe russia is a paper tiger and I'm totally off base, but that's how I see it as of now.  And lol how the US civs have all suddenly learned what HIMARS is, it's the latest fad.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1855 on: July 06, 2022, 03:19:23 PM »
I'm a bit more optimistic.  Russia is expending enormous quantities of artillery ammunition.  If they are truly breaking out their stockpiles from the 70's and 80's, and if they are getting supplies from Belarus, that tells me that they are A) running out of their own stock, B) having trouble getting it from their stockpiles to Ukraine, C) unable to produce enough, or D) all of the above.  The Russian parliament voted earlier this week to move toward a war production footing, which makes me think B isn't the bottleneck, and that the Russians are worried about running out of artillery shells.

From what I can see, without artillery, Russia is impotent.  Without artillery, they can't flatten territory, and therefore can't advance.  Without artillery, they can't defend as well against attacks, either.  Not only that, Russian artillery is what's preventing Ukrainian artillery from being used effectively.  If Ukraine can reduce the effectiveness of Russian artillery via precision strikes on ammo dumps, it not only hampers Russia's capabilities, it also enables Ukraine's own artillery to rejoin the fight more effectively.  It's a force multiplier.

I expect the response from Russia will be to disperse ammunition storage as a result, but considering their struggles with logistics over the past four and a half months, I can't see that going well for them.  More ammo depots in hostile territory sounds like a logistical nightmare.  More places to guard so that the hostile locals don't run off with it, more opportunity for partisans or special forces to attack the smaller forces, etc.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1856 on: July 06, 2022, 03:42:58 PM »
3. As for what russia gets out of all this.  I agree with the buffer part.  The soviet union was really humiliated and torn apart when the cold war ended.  Similar to Germany after WWI.  It makes some sort of sense that Putin would try to do what he's doing just through the lens of humiliation of the country.  Also, they get a ton of mineral resources and farmland, whether or not infrastructure is destroyed.  All the better if it's destroyed, then russian companies can all get contracts to rebuild.  The US wouldn't be guilty of that now would it?

4. Also, and maybe I'm giving russia too much credit, but to me at least it makes sense that they'd send in their crap weaponry first and hold back on using anything really high tech.  This is a slog, and russia has the patience, and there's also the threat that some western alliance might strike back at russia at some point, so save the good stuff for if that happens.  The low-tech approach is working, it's just slow (again, slow in the eyes of the western world who hasn't fought a war like this in 70 years). 

Maybe russia is a paper tiger and I'm totally off base, but that's how I see it as of now.  And lol how the US civs have all suddenly learned what HIMARS is, it's the latest fad.
I can respond to a couple of your points.  I spent a couple years in Russia around 2000-2002, and can tell that national pride is a huge deal for a significant portion of the population, particularly the older generation.  There's a huge sense of paradise lost in connection with Russia's reputational downfall since 1989.  The younger generation, at least the ones I interacted with, didn't have the same sense of loss or reminiscence of days of glory long past.

On #4, from what I've seen (and I've been following it pretty closely), this isn't the case.  Russia sent in the best they had right from the start.  Their much-vaunted VDV got slaughtered in multiple arenas.  They only have limited (and dwindling) numbers of their most modern tanks, and only a handful (literally, single digits) of their most modern aircraft.  Sending 60's-era tanks didn't happen for the first couple of months.  They lost their most modern cruiser (Moskva), and their most modern air defense systems couldn't hold Snake Island.  They started off using their most advanced precision cruise missiles, and currently are using long-range anti-ship missiles to attack land targets in western Ukraine.

Granted, we *did* see a whole lot of poorly-trained, poorly-equipped troops in the early days of the war. It's possible that all the recruiting and don't-call-it-conscription are being done in order to preserve better-trained or -equipped forces in case of an attack by NATO.  But nothing I've seen so far would support such a conclusion, at least on any significant scale. It's really hard to keep large numbers of modern tanks or airplanes or rocket launchers hidden.

EDIT:  Regarding comparisons to other wars--the Allies took 11 months to go 600 miles from Normandy to Berlin.  By contrast, Russia has taken 4.5 months to advance roughly 80 miles from the south and east into Ukraine, and the last month has seen them gain only maybe a dozen miles in the far east, where they have put a huge concentration of forces.  Realistically, the war has more or less devolved into WWI.  Except now Ukraine has HIMARS and the rest of the western world behind them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 04:06:51 PM by zolotiyeruki »

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1857 on: July 06, 2022, 05:18:38 PM »

I can respond to a couple of your points.  I spent a couple years in Russia around 2000-2002, and can tell that national pride is a huge deal for a significant portion of the population, particularly the older generation.  There's a huge sense of paradise lost in connection with Russia's reputational downfall since 1989.  The younger generation, at least the ones I interacted with, didn't have the same sense of loss or reminiscence of days of glory long past.

On #4, from what I've seen (and I've been following it pretty closely), this isn't the case.  Russia sent in the best they had right from the start.  Their much-vaunted VDV got slaughtered in multiple arenas.  They only have limited (and dwindling) numbers of their most modern tanks, and only a handful (literally, single digits) of their most modern aircraft.  Sending 60's-era tanks didn't happen for the first couple of months.  They lost their most modern cruiser (Moskva), and their most modern air defense systems couldn't hold Snake Island.  They started off using their most advanced precision cruise missiles, and currently are using long-range anti-ship missiles to attack land targets in western Ukraine.

Granted, we *did* see a whole lot of poorly-trained, poorly-equipped troops in the early days of the war. It's possible that all the recruiting and don't-call-it-conscription are being done in order to preserve better-trained or -equipped forces in case of an attack by NATO.  But nothing I've seen so far would support such a conclusion, at least on any significant scale. It's really hard to keep large numbers of modern tanks or airplanes or rocket launchers hidden.

EDIT:  Regarding comparisons to other wars--the Allies took 11 months to go 600 miles from Normandy to Berlin.  By contrast, Russia has taken 4.5 months to advance roughly 80 miles from the south and east into Ukraine, and the last month has seen them gain only maybe a dozen miles in the far east, where they have put a huge concentration of forces.  Realistically, the war has more or less devolved into WWI.  Except now Ukraine has HIMARS and the rest of the western world behind them.

HIMARS!!!!!!   My intelligence says who gives a flying fuck about HIMARS.   And let's be clear, Ukraine is a corrupt country, it's not like they're sitting with the best from Whiteman AFB learning how to counterattack the russkies.  But in any case I have no desire to argue who is right or who is wrong.  We can revisit this thread in a couple years and see, but I suspect I'm right.  We'll see. 

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1858 on: July 06, 2022, 05:32:57 PM »
I don't really have a dog in this fight but I can sort of sympathize (probably too strong a word) with Russia's rationale on invading Ukraine - not that I endorse it.  I do have some thoughts:

1. I told my wife a couple weeks ago (when the western media was all rah-rah about the little-engine-that-could Ukraine upstarts were supposedly taking the fight to the russians) that eventually, whether it's one year or five years, there's going to be a lot of media soul searching about how they got the narrative of russia's progress so wrong.  Similar to WMDs or how the media was so shocked when trump beat hillary.

2. I feel that the western media has been viewing this conflict through a US-centric lens and comparing it to Iraq or Afghanistan.  We didn't go into Iraq with the intention of completely taking over the country, instead we concentrated on strategic pinpoint attacks to take out particular military infrastructure for regime change.  The russian invasion is different to me and the world hasn't seen anything like it in a long time.  It's a straight up takeover.  So yeah, it's to be expected that there's going to be ugly trench warfare with massive losses from artillary and bombing.  The narrative that russia is losing because they didn't take over the entire country in a few weeks or whatever is way off the mark.  Russia now controls a non-insignificant portion of the country in just a few months.  We had 20yrs in Afghanistan and let's not talk about Iraq, and neither of those were a full out invasion.

A couple thoughts.   Most analysts assumed that Russia would steamroll Ukraine right away because Russia has a much larger, better equipped army, and because the Ukraine army folded like a wet blanket in 2014.  Prior to the war, that was the narrative I was hearing.   And apparently the Russians thought so too.   Putin fired a number of generals and arrested several FSB agents in the early weeks of the war.

But after some quick initial gains in the south and east (and a bloody nose in the north) Russia's advance has been almost totally stalled out.  Russia's gains have been limited to only a few square miles after months of fighting.   And Ukraine has launched successful, but small, counter attacks in the northeast and south.   I take causality reports with a large grain of salt but Ukrainian and some western sources estimate Russia had more than 30,000 KIA in three and a half months.   If the true number is half of that, that is still an astonishing rate of loss.   Fewer than 3,000 US troops were KIA in Afghanistan in the whole campaign, for example.   I don't see how Russia can sustain this rate of loss.  Sustaining these losses certainly was not part of the plan. 

This site documents equipment losses on both sides from open sources. 

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

There is documentary evidence that Russia's most modern, advance equipment is being used on the battlefield and has also been destroyed in large numbers.   I find it extremely unlikely Russia is holding anything significant back for later. 

I think this is unfolding just as it appears.   Russia and most analysts believed this would be quick.   Ukraine brought its A game, and Russia turned out to be far more incompetent that anyone believed.   

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1859 on: July 06, 2022, 05:41:51 PM »
Their much-vaunted VDV got slaughtered in multiple arenas. 

You might enjoy this video.  It is a VDV propaganda piece with updated subtitles.  Pretty good. 

https://youtu.be/AL-rdzMo1MU

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1860 on: July 06, 2022, 05:43:24 PM »

A couple thoughts.   Most analysts assumed that Russia would steamroll Ukraine right away because Russia has a much larger, better equipped army, and because the Ukraine army folded like a wet blanket in 2014.  Prior to the war, that was the narrative I was hearing.   And apparently the Russians thought so too.   Putin fired a number of generals and arrested several FSB agents in the early weeks of the war.

But after some quick initial gains in the south and east (and a bloody nose in the north) Russia's advance has been almost totally stalled out.  Russia's gains have been limited to only a few square miles after months of fighting.   And Ukraine has launched successful, but small, counter attacks in the northeast and south.   I take causality reports with a large grain of salt but Ukrainian and some western sources estimate Russia had more than 30,000 KIA in three and a half months.   If the true number is half of that, that is still an astonishing rate of loss.   Fewer than 3,000 US troops were KIA in Afghanistan in the whole campaign, for example.   I don't see how Russia can sustain this rate of loss.  Sustaining these losses certainly was not part of the plan. 

This site documents equipment losses on both sides from open sources. 

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

There is documentary evidence that Russia's most modern, advance equipment is being used on the battlefield and has also been destroyed in large numbers.   I find it extremely unlikely Russia is holding anything significant back for later. 

I think this is unfolding just as it appears.   Russia and most analysts believed this would be quick.   Ukraine brought its A game, and Russia turned out to be far more incompetent that anyone believed.

You could be right, nobody on this forum knows the truth, myself included.  The only thing I'd add is that I'm pretty sure Russia doesn't care if 3k or 30k soldiers have been killed.  That's where I think the western media has blinders on. 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #1861 on: July 06, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »

The only thing I'd add is that I'm pretty sure Russia doesn't care if 3k or 30k soldiers have been killed.  That's where I think the western media has blinders on. 
That is why Russia will lose. Among others. Russia's population is ~3x larger than Ukraine's. But, Russia has been taking casualties at ~3x the Ukrainian rate. Now look at Russia. It is a huge nation. It is held together by a handful of gossamer railroads and dilapidated highways, and it takes a lot of people just to make it work. All of its neighbors are hostile and have a history of military conflict with Russia, mostly recent, and Russia has many neighbors. Russia regularly antagonizes neighbors for no useful reason. Russia's population is not highly motivated to fight Ukraine. Russia is in a fragile position and cannot afford a 3:1 or even 2:1 losing casualty ratio with Ukraine, and maybe not even 1:1. Ukraine is compact, densely populated, has historically friendly or indifferent relations with all its neighbors except recently Russia, and has a highly motivated population.

Ukraine is backed by a consortium of countries with much larger population, more manufacturing, more advanced manufacturing, and most of the planet's wealth. They will get better weapons the longer the war lasts, while Russians will get worse weapons. Russia was able to attempt division and economic pain on "the West" in the past and get results, but now "the West" is onto them, and the more Russia antagonizes the more motivated "the West" will be to help Ukraine.

Politically Ukraine has united and brought their best minds to bear on the task, and is more egalitarian and less corrupt than ever. Russia is indifferent, led by corrupt officials with no direct personal interest in the actual fighting, and composed of many ethnic groups spread over a vast area. Much of Russia is shockingly poor and undeveloped as a result of local resources being diverted to corruption in Moscow with no local investment. Russians will largely have little interest or ability to contribute to the war.

Basically all the macros point to Ukraine winning, IMO, and IMO substantially within the next 12 months. This was decided by the end of February 2022, based on 1) Russia wasting their strategic advantage at the start, 2) Ukraine uniting against Russia, 3) "Western" nations deciding on whole-sale backing of Ukraine. The biggest wild card is the nature of support Ukraine receives.

(Not a military expert or even close)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1862 on: July 06, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »

The only thing I'd add is that I'm pretty sure Russia doesn't care if 3k or 30k soldiers have been killed.  That's where I think the western media has blinders on. 
That is why Russia will lose. Among others. Russia's population is ~3x larger than Ukraine's. But, Russia has been taking casualties at ~3x the Ukrainian rate. Now look at Russia. It is a huge nation. It is held together by a handful of gossamer railroads and dilapidated highways, and it takes a lot of people just to make it work. All of its neighbors are hostile and have a history of military conflict with Russia, mostly recent, and Russia has many neighbors. Russia regularly antagonizes neighbors for no useful reason. Russia's population is not highly motivated to fight Ukraine. Russia is in a fragile position and cannot afford a 3:1 or even 2:1 losing casualty ratio with Ukraine, and maybe not even 1:1. Ukraine is compact, densely populated, has historically friendly or indifferent relations with all its neighbors except recently Russia, and has a highly motivated population.

Ukraine is backed by a consortium of countries with much larger population, more manufacturing, more advanced manufacturing, and most of the planet's wealth. They will get better weapons the longer the war lasts, while Russians will get worse weapons. Russia was able to attempt division and economic pain on "the West" in the past and get results, but now "the West" is onto them, and the more Russia antagonizes the more motivated "the West" will be to help Ukraine.

Politically Ukraine has united and brought their best minds to bear on the task, and is more egalitarian and less corrupt than ever. Russia is indifferent, led by corrupt officials with no direct personal interest in the actual fighting, and composed of many ethnic groups spread over a vast area. Much of Russia is shockingly poor and undeveloped as a result of local resources being diverted to corruption in Moscow with no local investment. Russians will largely have little interest or ability to contribute to the war.

Basically all the macros point to Ukraine winning, IMO, and IMO substantially within the next 12 months. This was decided by the end of February 2022, based on 1) Russia wasting their strategic advantage at the start, 2) Ukraine uniting against Russia, 3) "Western" nations deciding on whole-sale backing of Ukraine. The biggest wild card is the nature of support Ukraine receives.

Somebody needs to start a betting odds thread.  Obviously I think you are badly mistaken but I admit I could be wrong too.  Oh to be a fly in the wall in those russkie meetings. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1863 on: July 06, 2022, 06:33:53 PM »

I think that right now the biggest threat to Ukraine is Western Europe getting tired of high energy prices and sending arms. There are already rumors of this in the media. But Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland remain firmly on the Ukrainian side.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1864 on: July 06, 2022, 06:58:14 PM »

I think that right now the biggest threat to Ukraine is Western Europe getting tired of high energy prices and sending arms. There are already rumors of this in the media. But Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland remain firmly on the Ukrainian side.

I think they understand the Russians better than most Western countries.  You can practically hear the laughter across the Atlantic when some of the countries offer advice about negotiating with the Russians.

A few weeks ago I saw videos about the Ukrainians being outgunned by howitzers 20:1.  It seems like Western aid just dribbles in a bit at a time.  It could be that the public isn't being told of the "real" aid given to Ukraine.  It could be that many countries simply don't have the equipment to spare.  In fact some seem to give up planes, tanks and howitzers and then depend upon neighboring countries for their protection.

Russians seem to gain a little ground every day.  There are strong indications now the Lukashenko will send the troops of Belarus to aid Russia.  The soldiers of the DPR and LPR have served them great as cannon fodder while Russian troops made up the rear.

Western politicians had a conference on rebuilding Ukraine.  I found this a bit bizarre when the war is still going full throttle.

Russia has been pulling out old Soviet armaments.  There seems to be a great deal of stock.

I just hope the West can keep supporting the Ukrainians.  Russia may not treat defeated nations with kindness.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1865 on: July 06, 2022, 08:02:23 PM »

Um, we did in fact go into Iraq and completely take over the country. What on earth are you talking about? Now, it was a terrible idea and it ended badly, but in terms of militarily taking over, we did that no problem. Russia's invasion of Ukraine was widely (including by me) expected to be a rehash of that scenario.

Imagine instead that the US had lost 25,000 or so dead and another 75,000 injured...

The peak YEAR for US military deaths in the US (2007) was 904. Russia's casualty rate per year is something on the order of 75 times that much.

Yeah, not comparable at all...

Also, for what it's worth, Russia (via proxies) already controlled most of Donesk and Luhansk before the war started. So it is essentially true that they have spent 3.5 months to go a few tens of kilometers in those areas.

That said, slow progress is still progress.

-W
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:09:28 PM by waltworks »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1866 on: July 06, 2022, 08:12:51 PM »
You could be right, nobody on this forum knows the truth, myself included.  The only thing I'd add is that I'm pretty sure Russia doesn't care if 3k or 30k soldiers have been killed.  That's where I think the western media has blinders on.

I'm certain Russia doesn't care as well.   My point is simply that operationally it is hard to replace that number of troops.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1867 on: July 06, 2022, 08:24:57 PM »
For a sense of scale: the Russian military brings in something like 130,000 new conscript troops 2x per year.

The training russian troops receive isn't the greatest, but, whatever that training is worth, their armed forces are set up to provide it to about a quarter million new people each year.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1868 on: July 06, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »
For a sense of scale: the Russian military brings in something like 130,000 new conscript troops 2x per year.

The training russian troops receive isn't the greatest, but, whatever that training is worth, their armed forces are set up to provide it to about a quarter million new people each year.

The vast majority of those troops leave after their initial 1-year conscription. So twice a year you have a quarter of your unit turnover to be replaced with new untrained Soldiers. Realistically they're getting maybe 6 months of useful service out of conscripts.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1869 on: July 06, 2022, 09:52:50 PM »

The price of energy is less of a worry than it's continued supply, apparently.  Germany is preparing for a shut off of Russian oil by getting coal production back into gear until more sustainable energy sources can take over in future.  I'm sure other countries are doing there own replacement analyses.  Already, Europeans are being asked to conserve energy as much as possible.

Russia holds the cards here, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to shoot themselves in the foot and turn off the tap entirely.  Where else will they get money from?

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #1870 on: July 06, 2022, 09:54:29 PM »
Obviously I think you are badly mistaken but I admit I could be wrong too.
I'm curious which parts you think are mistaken?

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1871 on: July 06, 2022, 10:33:52 PM »

If I understand the situation correctly, because this is a "special operation" and not a war, the conscripts cannot legally be sent into battle.  Although there are reports of conscripts being sent into battle, for the most part Russian soldiers are on contracts. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1872 on: July 06, 2022, 11:21:07 PM »

If I understand the situation correctly, because this is a "special operation" and not a war, the conscripts cannot legally be sent into battle.  Although there are reports of conscripts being sent into battle, for the most part Russian soldiers are on contracts.

For the most part this is true. The conscripts aren't in the fight. The point is that 25% of the Russian army never achieves a very high level of training whether they're used or not. Also, most of the training is conducted "on the job" by a cadre within the brigade or regiment.  They go from basic training to active duty units rather than a follow-on school. With a significant portion of the Russian army currently fighting in Ukraine, this means the current conscript cohort is likely being trained at a reduced level away from their bases or units not participating in the war are doubling up on conscripts to train. Many of those conscripts will turn over after a year and sign longer-term contracts to stay in and be expected to help train the next cohort.  The manpower situation is detrimental to the long-term health of their army.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1873 on: July 06, 2022, 11:56:40 PM »

The Russian army has been fighting with the same weapon systems we expected them to. Units identified in the field by name have been cross-referenced with their pre-war tables of organization, equipment losses, and they match.  What we are seeing now after four months of attrition is older tanks coming out of storage that have been there since the end of the Cold War without the upgrades that most of the fleet received in the early 2000s and in far fewer numbers than needed to replace one for one. It might not matter since one tank is better than no tank, but it is an indication that they're running low.  There are also a number of T-62s appearing in southern Ukraine which haven't been on active duty for about 15 years and have different crew and ammo requirements.

The Russian air force is another matter. They are likely holding back their better equipment for a possible NATO fight since a large portion of the fleet is simply not involved in the war. The last two pilots to be captured were also Wagner mercenaries rather than VKS pilots which could mean they're either running short, or keeping their uniformed pilots back.  Many of the air-launched cruise missiles fired lately have been Kh-22 anti ship missiles which are 1) decades old and 2) designed to hit ships on the water rather than picking out one building amongst dozens so accuracy has been terrible. Again this is an indication that they're either saving the rest of their Kh-101s for a future war or they're running out.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1874 on: July 07, 2022, 04:45:21 AM »

Um, we did in fact go into Iraq and completely take over the country. What on earth are you talking about? Now, it was a terrible idea and it ended badly, but in terms of militarily taking over, we did that no problem. Russia's invasion of Ukraine was widely (including by me) expected to be a rehash of that scenario.

Imagine instead that the US had lost 25,000 or so dead and another 75,000 injured...

The peak YEAR for US military deaths in the US (2007) was 904. Russia's casualty rate per year is something on the order of 75 times that much.

Also, for what it's worth, Russia (via proxies) already controlled most of Donesk and Luhansk before the war started. So it is essentially true that they have spent 3.5 months to go a few tens of kilometers in those areas.

-W

No we didn't.  Our goal was never to literally annex the country and make it another state. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1875 on: July 07, 2022, 06:27:47 AM »

The vast majority of those troops leave after their initial 1-year conscription. So twice a year you have a quarter of your unit turnover to be replaced with new untrained Soldiers. Realistically they're getting maybe 6 months of useful service out of conscripts.

Agreed. It is not a way I'd choose to organize an army.

But it does mean that the Russian military is set up to train substantially more new soldiers per year than one would otherwise guess from its size. The US armed forces include roughly 160% as many total active duty personnel as the Russian ones, but only need to train about half as many new people each year as the Russians do*. That difference is driven by longer service terms associated with being all-volunteer rather than substantially conscription driven.

*The training US soldiers get sounds like it is a lot better, and that's before you consider the benefits of continuing to improve skills and and gather more experience throughout a longer term of service.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1876 on: July 07, 2022, 06:34:21 AM »

But it does mean that the Russian military is set up to train substantially more new soldiers per year than one would otherwise guess from its size. The US armed forces include roughly 160% as many total active duty personnel as the Russian ones, but only need to train about half as many new people each year as the Russians do*. That difference is driven by longer service terms associated with being all-volunteer rather than substantially conscription driven.

*The training US soldiers get sounds like it is a lot better, and that's before you consider the benefits of continuing to improve skills and and gather more experience throughout a longer term of service.

How are the people doing the fighting being trained, i.e. the Ukrainians?  There seems to be a lot of foreign training on weapons systems and for special forces.  What about all of these conscripted people?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1877 on: July 07, 2022, 06:37:52 AM »

*The training US soldiers get sounds like it is a lot better, and that's before you consider the benefits of continuing to improve skills and gather more experience throughout a longer term of service.

Another aspect is that in the US military every new recruit goes through 4-12 months of initial training (basic training and whatever additional training for their particular job) before they even get to a unit. So, there is still a fair amount of on-the-job training by the new unit, but at least new recruits are showing up in reasonable physical condition with some training. I can complain about the quality of that training and how standards have changed over the nearly 20 years since I went through, but it's still far better than the Russians are getting. Also, you're getting people for generally 4+ years so you can invest 8-12 months in training a new recruit in something highly technical like helicopter maintenance or satellite communications as you'll still get a few years of service out of them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1878 on: July 07, 2022, 08:09:32 AM »

A BBC segment, watch and see what y'all think. Looks like Russia was sending some of its best anyway.

https://youtu.be/9jrS1xpbNFA

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1879 on: July 07, 2022, 09:07:55 AM »

How are the people doing the fighting being trained, i.e. the Ukrainians?  There seems to be a lot of foreign training on weapons systems and for special forces.  What about all of these conscripted people?
The British Army trained 24,000 Ukrainians from 2016 up to the start of the war.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1880 on: July 07, 2022, 09:38:41 AM »

-W

No we didn't.  Our goal was never to literally annex the country and make it another state.

You said "take over", not "annex and make it another state".

And regardless, insomuch as I understand your point, you are saying that this war is comparable to the Iraq war. I think that's a pretty big stretch, as I pointed out using casualty numbers.

Can you state your point more clearly if I've misunderstood you?

-W

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1881 on: July 07, 2022, 01:38:29 PM »

-W

You said "take over", not "annex and make it another state".

And regardless, insomuch as I understand your point, you are saying that this war is comparable to the Iraq war. I think that's a pretty big stretch, as I pointed out using casualty numbers.

Can you state your point more clearly if I've misunderstood you?

-W

I think you misunderstood my entire point. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1882 on: July 07, 2022, 03:12:37 PM »

Yes, that's why I asked if you could clarify.

-W

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1883 on: July 07, 2022, 04:57:35 PM »

Yes, that's why I asked if you could clarify.

-W

Honestly I'm not sure I could make it any more clear than I did.  Not sure if you're being purposely dense or what but I'm not going to spend any more brain bandwidth on it. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1884 on: July 07, 2022, 06:29:19 PM »
I guess I *think* you're arguing that Russia isn't trying/doing their best and/or is intentionally taking their time/huge casualties?

I don't know why anyone would want to prolong a war, and my presumption is that Russia sent most of their best forces and wanted to win quickly. Now they're forced to fall back on throwing infinite amounts of poorly trained troops and old equipment into the meat grinder and hope that Ukraine runs out of poorly trained troops/old junk first, while firing anti-ship missiles at apartment buildings.

If we've learned anything, it's that an actual war with NATO, Ukrainian buffer zone or not, would be over very quickly either via NATO victory or mutual nuclear armageddon. Russia might as well retire their conventional military and save their money for maintaining nukes.

-W

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1885 on: July 07, 2022, 07:16:44 PM »
I thought Russia used the military to help with fighting wild fires, the harvest, and other things that require lots of labor? If so, then getting rid of the military would mean they'd have to pay people to do that stuff. (some sarcasm, but also some serious there)

Big Owl, I read your post as:
1. you think Russia's going to win
2. you think western media is comparing Iraq/Afghanistan to the Russia-Ukraine war, and you think that's an incorrect comparison.
3. buffer
4. Russia is taking things slow, save the good stuff for later

I disagree with you on the first point and I have no opinion on the second. I'm not watching what western media's interpretation is, so can't speak to them. I do agree that what Russia is doing (or trying to do) is different than what the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ukraine's going to win. It might take a long time, there might not be much left of Ukraine, but ultimately Russia isn't going to be able to hold on to the country. There's already partisan activity happening in occupied areas, and speculation that Ukrainians in Russia are also causing some havoc.

3rd point, makes sense, but I certainly don't know what's in Putin's head. Could be wrong, could be right. As for #4, from what I've seen Russia did throw at least a good chunk of their best into the fight already. See the open source intelligence accounts on Twitter tracking confirmed destroyed equipment, and videos/pictures of the much older equipment coming out as time has gone on.

Mr FrugalNL

• Stubble
« Reply #1886 on: July 08, 2022, 03:55:52 AM »
On the subject of Russia supposedly not yet sending their best, this YouTube video argues that there is no evidence for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lem3enNkbV0

I'm no expert but to my layman's eyes the video looked very well researched.

I also see no reason why Russia would have been holding back its best troops or materiel. The initial invasion plan seemed to rely on overwhelming Ukraine in a lightning campaign of a few days at most. Why hold back in those circumstances? Withholding your best in that context just risks wasting the element of surprise, time, and lives. (Not that Russia much cares about the intrinsic value of human life, but all else being equal, they'd still choose whichever option doesn't squander their soldiers' lives.)

Of course, Russia is currently advancing only slowly but that appears to be because of how many casualties they have suffered and the concomitant need to pave the way for their infantry with artillery. I see no evidence for some sort of Russian master plan to suddenly overwhelm Ukraine with elite units that had been carefully held in reserve till now. Of course, if anyone else does see such evidence, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, and for the record I didn't get big_owl's point either.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1887 on: July 08, 2022, 05:10:27 AM »
The only troops and equipment being held back are those protecting high value locations/people in Russia. It's highly unlikely they'll ever be sent to the front as doing so would put the people in power at risk.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:12:16 AM by gooki »

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1888 on: July 08, 2022, 05:34:29 AM »
I thought Russia used the military to help with fighting wild fires, the harvest, and other things that require lots of labor? If so, then getting rid of the military would mean they'd have to pay people to do that stuff. (some sarcasm, but also some serious there)

Big Owl, I read your post as:
1. you think Russia's going to win
2. you think western media is comparing Iraq/Afghanistan to the Russia-Ukraine war, and you think that's an incorrect comparison.
3. buffer
4. Russia is taking things slow, save the good stuff for later

I disagree with you on the first point and I have no opinion on the second. I'm not watching what western media's interpretation is, so can't speak to them. I do agree that what Russia is doing (or trying to do) is different than what the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ukraine's going to win. It might take a long time, there might not be much left of Ukraine, but ultimately Russia isn't going to be able to hold on to the country. There's already partisan activity happening in occupied areas, and speculation that Ukrainians in Russia are also causing some havoc.

3rd point, makes sense, but I certainly don't know what's in Putin's head. Could be wrong, could be right. As for #4, from what I've seen Russia did throw at least a good chunk of their best into the fight already. See the open source intelligence accounts on Twitter tracking confirmed destroyed equipment, and videos/pictures of the much older equipment coming out as time has gone on.

Yes you are 100% correct regarding my viewpoint.  Of course we can disagree on whether you think I'm correct, though I'm almost certain to be wrong on some of it.  I realize my opinions are not very popular.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1889 on: July 08, 2022, 05:42:02 AM »

-W

It's less about wheat farms (though that is very nice), it's about the 80% of Ukraines heavy industry in the Donezk+Luhansk area. Not only the capability, but also that without those parts Ukraine has a hard time surviving as a country (which is the main goal).
Primary goal of Putin was always to make Ukraine into a puppet state (or downright annex), secondary was to destabilize it so much that it sooner or later will become that. 

Russia is expending enormous quantities of artillery ammunition.  If they are truly breaking out their stockpiles from the 70's and 80's, and if they are getting supplies from Belarus, that tells me that they are A) running out of their own stock, B) having trouble getting it from their stockpiles to Ukraine, C) unable to produce enough, or D) all of the above.
I think you got that partly wrong.
Russia is getting Cold War area ammo out because they have so much of that stuff. It may not be meant literally, but it is described as "anough artillery shells for a hundred year long war".
Getting that now is just normal procedure for a war lasting longer than a few days.

In the rest you are right: What the Russians do have problems is getting that ammo to the front lines. And that is imho what Ukraine is aiming at: They have blasted ammo depots far in back with the HIMAR's etc. Russia has to unload it 100km or more from the trains which are supposed to be the medium which transports the ammo to the front lines.
Ukraine is trying to recreate the logistical nightmare the Russians had in the first weeks. You problably need more than 10 trucks (and personnell) to fuel a single heavy artillery if it fires continously.

Almost all wars get ended by 2 things: 1) morale 2) supplies.

My intelligence says who gives a flying fuck about HIMARS.
Your intelligence sounds like it's the same that give Putin the reports that said that the Ukrainians won't fight back.

Yeah, a hand full of HIMARs or Panzerhaubitze 2000 won't do much in a front line battle. What they can do is blowing up ammo depots and other important targets without the Russians having a chance to fire back. Which is not war deciding but certainly a felt headache. Especially if such an important target is the Snake Island.

and Russia turned out to be far more incompetent that anyone believed.
Not really. Incompetent was the belief that Ukraine would falter like a wet towel again. Which was based on "Only tell me what I want to hear" reports, which is (surprisingly?) often how autocracies stumble. (You might want to read up on the fall of East Germany if you want to have fun, on topics like painted trees and shops that were stuffed only for the one day the head of state visited. Or for that matter how Stalin's farmers fullfilled their unreachable meat quotas for a dark end story.)

Based on those intelligence reports Russia did nothing wrong in their attack planning, and don't forget that their win in Kyiev was largely a very lucky incident around a group of civilians with drones. What if one of the assassinations on the Ukranian president (I think there were 3?) in the first days had succeeded? His Charisma and media appearance certainly helped a lot. What if the 30 mile convoy would not have been stalled for days by the drone group and false intelligence they (or their comrades) gave? Or what if the Ukrainian troops had not been able to hold the Antonov airport by a hair's width until reinforcements arrived? A few hours under Russian control was all they needed to land thousands of troops. But instead one the transports was shot down and the rest turned away.
If thesy would have landed, Russia woudl have a bridgehead, the convoy would likely not have been stalled and Kyiv would have been under heavy artillery fire 2 days in the attack.

I think that right now the biggest threat to Ukraine is Western Europe getting tired of high energy prices and sending arms.
Yeah, that's the deciding factor. I would not at all be surprised if the routine maintenance of the Nordstream pipeline that starts next week will take longer than unusual because "because of sanctions we don't have spare parts to repair it".

Western politicians had a conference on rebuilding Ukraine.  I found this a bit bizarre when the war is still going full throttle.
That is what the Ukrainians want though. I think this is A) for PR reasons (we will win!) and B) because it's a lot easier to get promises now than in half a year when they might have won but Europe is in a economic depression for lack of gas and the cruelty of the war is out of the public mind. Of course C) it helps to have things planned before oyu start them is also a point.

I thought Russia used the military to help with fighting wild fires, the harvest, and other things that require lots of labor? If so, then getting rid of the military would mean they'd have to pay people to do that stuff.
No. Things ust burn down in the tundra.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1890 on: July 08, 2022, 06:03:39 AM »
Ukraine targets Russia’s ammunition depots, undermining its artillery advantage
July 8, 2022 2:02 am
by Illia Ponomarenko

"Now that Ukraine has acquired advanced Western artillery and rocket systems, it has gradually begun a campaign to take out Russia’s key military infrastructure. Over the last four weeks, nearly 20 Russian ammunition depots in Russian-occupied Donbas and Ukraine’s south, including some of the largest, have been hit or completely destroyed."

https://kyivindependent.com/national/1234

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1891 on: July 08, 2022, 06:45:57 AM »
Ukraine targets Russia’s ammunition depots, undermining its artillery advantage
July 8, 2022 2:02 am
by Illia Ponomarenko

"Now that Ukraine has acquired advanced Western artillery and rocket systems, it has gradually begun a campaign to take out Russia’s key military infrastructure. Over the last four weeks, nearly 20 Russian ammunition depots in Russian-occupied Donbas and Ukraine’s south, including some of the largest, have been hit or completely destroyed."

https://kyivindependent.com/national/1234

From the article:

“One must clearly understand that the Soviet Union produced munitions enough to wage a thousand years of war,” says Igal Levin, a Ukraine-born Israeli defense expert.

Wow!  Millions of artillery rounds.  I guess losing 27 million people in a World War leads to a certain amount of paranoia.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1892 on: July 08, 2022, 07:41:46 AM »
It seems to me that Ukraine should next be targeting locomotives.  Russia may have millions of shells stockpiled, but if they can't move 'em....

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1893 on: July 08, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
It seems to me that Ukraine should next be targeting locomotives.  Russia may have millions of shells stockpiled, but if they can't move 'em....

I assume in most places Russia can't get a train into Ukraine due to destroyed infrastructure. There's probably only a handful of railroads and replacing a destroyed railroad bridge is much harder than getting something that a truck can use. Trains are only going to get stuff in the general area and then it's all trucks from there. To target a locomotive with a HIMARS would take a lot of coordination with a drone providing real-time intelligence to make sure it wasn't moving.

Russia has been targeting Ukranian railroad infrastructure all throughout the country. Either the switching yards themselves, or the electrical grid that supports it. A substation is a pretty easy target to identify and hit. They know that Ukraine needs their railroads to get arms and munitions from the west.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1894 on: July 08, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »

I assume in most places Russia can't get a train into Ukraine due to destroyed infrastructure. There's probably only a handful of railroads and replacing a destroyed railroad bridge is much harder than getting something that a truck can use. Trains are only going to get stuff in the general area and then it's all trucks from there. To target a locomotive with a HIMARS would take a lot of coordination with a drone providing real-time intelligence to make sure it wasn't moving.

Russia has been targeting Ukranian railroad infrastructure all throughout the country. Either the switching yards themselves, or the electrical grid that supports it. A substation is a pretty easy target to identify and hit. They know that Ukraine needs their railroads to get arms and munitions from the west.

I know nothing about artillery but couldn't they zero in on the track and pull the trigger when the locomotive reaches that spot? Or use the shoulder mounted gear that we've seen used on tanks? Who are operating the trains? Military or civilians?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1895 on: July 08, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »
Russia runs on its railways, no chance anyone could make it run out of locomotives.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1896 on: July 08, 2022, 11:15:38 AM »
If they hit a couple of railroad cars filled with artillery shells, how big would the hole be where the track used to be?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1897 on: July 08, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
It doesn't take long to fill in a hole and rebuild crater length tracks. If you're motivated enough, I'd say two days.

I'm all for hitting the locomotives. If Ukraine can destroy Russian locomotives at the speed they've been able to destroy Russian tanks it may have a significant impact on Russia's ability to wage war. But hey there's military experts in Ukraine who know this stuff a whole lot better that we do.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1898 on: July 08, 2022, 03:25:41 PM »
Take out the locomotive, the ensuing derailment and track damage might take a while to cleanup. Not to mention damage to the weapons riding that train. To be even more aggressive would be to attack the wreck again in mid-cleanup. Perhaps when the ammo is scattered about or perhaps easier to blow up armored vehicles that were spilled from the train causing a spreading fire to consumes many armored vehicles.   

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1899 on: July 08, 2022, 03:29:51 PM »
This site suggests that Russia has 10,000 freight locomotives.  Targetting locomotives is not going to be a productive use of expensive munitions.  Targetting the fuel and ammunition dumps next to the railways is a better bet.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/321014/locomotives-units-forecast/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!