Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 563987 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2022, 02:34:34 PM »
Yeah, the situation is clearly very fluid still, and the translation difficulties don't help. We'll see what happens over the next couple days. Hopefully the Ukrainian people can hold out.

I'm very curious to see what's going to happen in Russia. There's not much chance of ordinary people managing to effect real change I don't think, anything big would be suppressed very harshly. But that leaves Putin, the oligarchs, military, and the rest of the government who could act.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2022, 02:36:54 PM »
Germany just approved the shipment of 1000 anti-tank and 500 Stinger anti-aircraft weapons to Ukraine.
This is significcant because Germany is involved in the development and production of weaponry in Europe and retains veto rights against export of such weaponry into crisis regions and has exercised this veto aggressively in the past.

Germany has also agreed to remove Russia from the SWIFT system.

These are aggressive moves by Germany.

Not quite. Germany is talking about removing Russia from the SWIFT system - but with carveouts for energy. So basically, they don't want to actually feel the pain (and make Russia feel the pain) of cutting off oil and natural gas sales - which compose a large percentage of Germany's energy supply. Across the EU about 40% of their natural gas comes from Russia (along with oil and coal). Germany gets about that much and with more than half their natural gas going to manufacturing, it would be a huge hit to their economy which is heavily focused on manufacturing and exports.

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/live-updates-on-ukraine-war/
Germany supports “targeted and functional” limits on Russian access to the SWIFT global interbank payment system, its foreign and economy ministers said. Berlin had been the major holdout in Europe against imposing the measure, whose economic impact would be significant. However, the ministers’ statement said SWIFT exclusion should be crafted in such a way that it “affects the right people.” Finance Minister Christian Lindner was more specific, saying, “necessary deliveries of raw materials” (read: Russian energy exports) should not be disrupted by the move.
Original source article (in German) https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/international/ukraine-krieg-ein-swift-ausschluss-der-die-richtigen-trifft-europa-einig-ueber-naechste-sanktion-gegen-russland/28110092.html

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
Reported in the Guardian: Russian artillery fire has hit a children's cancer hospital in Kyiv, killing a child and injuring two other children and two adults.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/ukraine/100/?action=post;last_msg=2983380

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2022, 03:48:47 PM »
Russia can't be making friends in Ukraine.  So, if they do take over will there be continual resistance?  It seems obvious that there will be.  Killing people creates terrorists.

Ukraine has a large army and it seem as though they have the possibility of taking a large number of Russian troops.  I just wonder if this will weaken Russia.  They have been invading other countries for the last dozen years or more.  They must have troops in these other countries.  It would seem to be time for them to actively resist as well.  I'm just wondering if Russia may be stretched thin by this latest military incursion.

It can't help Russia to have almost the entire world disagreeing with the invasion.  To my knowledge there was no coalition.  It was just the one country.  Some of these Ukrainians have been proven to be very brave.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
Germany just approved the shipment of 1000 anti-tank and 500 Stinger anti-aircraft weapons to Ukraine.
This is significcant because Germany is involved in the development and production of weaponry in Europe and retains veto rights against export of such weaponry into crisis regions and has exercised this veto aggressively in the past.

Germany has also agreed to remove Russia from the SWIFT system.

These are aggressive moves by Germany.
I should have written "These are aggressive moves for Germany"

Not quite. Germany is talking about removing Russia from the SWIFT system - but with carveouts for energy. So basically, they don't want to actually feel the pain (and make Russia feel the pain) of cutting off oil and natural gas sales - which compose a large percentage of Germany's energy supply. Across the EU about 40% of their natural gas comes from Russia (along with oil and coal). Germany gets about that much and with more than half their natural gas going to manufacturing, it would be a huge hit to their economy which is heavily focused on manufacturing and exports.

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/live-updates-on-ukraine-war/
Germany supports “targeted and functional” limits on Russian access to the SWIFT global interbank payment system, its foreign and economy ministers said. Berlin had been the major holdout in Europe against imposing the measure, whose economic impact would be significant. However, the ministers’ statement said SWIFT exclusion should be crafted in such a way that it “affects the right people.” Finance Minister Christian Lindner was more specific, saying, “necessary deliveries of raw materials” (read: Russian energy exports) should not be disrupted by the move.
Original source article (in German) https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/international/ukraine-krieg-ein-swift-ausschluss-der-die-richtigen-trifft-europa-einig-ueber-naechste-sanktion-gegen-russland/28110092.html

The SWIFT carveouts have a lot to do with limiting impact to EU which may be crucial for sustainability of the sanction; particularly when considering that the impact might be more severe for nations in the EU other than Germany.
It is complicated, but thank the gods for the German Green Party to be part of the government.

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2022, 04:36:59 PM »
Reported in the Guardian: Russian artillery fire has hit a children's cancer hospital in Kyiv, killing a child and injuring two other children and two adults.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/ukraine/100/?action=post;last_msg=2983380
Will Putin and the other Russian military leaders be tried for war crimes? Only time will tell but call me doubtful.

I start to think NATO should put in place an enforced no fly zone over Ukraine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2022, 05:01:09 PM »

I am sorry to have to say this but you really have no idea what you are talking about - unless you are trolling of course.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:03:59 PM by PeteD01 »

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »

I am sorry to have to say this but you really have no idea what you are talking about - unless you are trolling of course.
Same to you.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2022, 05:26:45 PM »

Same to you.

I apologize.
Pushing the idea of NATO establishing a no fly zone over Ukraine is about as impractical as well as incendiary as possible in the current situation.
You might not see that - so there is that
Sorry, seriously

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2022, 05:32:32 PM »

Same to you.

I apologize.
Pushing the idea of NATO establishing a no fly zone over Ukraine is about as impractical as well as incendiary as possible in the current situation.
Sorry, seriously
While not popular for obvious reasons and highly unlikely it is a real idea being discussed at length by many politicians and military leaders. We will see if opinions change as Russia continues to commit war crimes against civilians.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2022, 05:50:22 PM »

Same to you.

I apologize.
Sorry, seriously
While not popular for obvious reasons and highly unlikely it is a real idea being discussed at length by many politicians and military leaders. We will see if opinions change as Russia continues to commit war crimes against civilians.

"it is a real idea being discussed at length by many politicians and military leaders."

Lovely, that is just the sort of people I would ask if I wanted to know what´s best for me.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2022, 06:10:38 PM »
Both of you - there's enough fighting on this plant. Kiss and make up.

As for a no fly zone, I don't have any clue if its feasible or not. But I bet the Ukrainian government will have some say in the matter, so long as they're satisfied with it then I'm not going to question. I'm just following along, getting practice using google translate.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2022, 06:35:56 PM »
I found an English language newspaper that is based in Ukraine! https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent

And.... Ukraine is getting absolutely pounded tonight. It looks like they expected it and were telling the people to get to shelters before nightfall, so cross your fingers casualties will be minimal, and Ukraine will still be there in the morning. https://kyivindependent.com/national/russias-war-on-ukraine-where-fighting-is-on-now-feb-27-live-updates/

Fuck Putin.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
Ukrainian Army continues to pick off armored vehicles by the dozens as well as unprotected support convoys. Some Russian units stuck on the highway having run out of fuel and not getting resupplied. Everyone is still waiting to see if Russia is going to bring in their massive supplies of artillery and start leveling neighborhoods.  It's been their go-to tactic when operational maneuver stops working, and that's clearly the case on several fronts.

Anonymous hacked Russian government emails and radio communications. Poland, Romania, Netherlands, and now Germany publicly sending weapons to Ukraine, and the economic blockade is growing. Chip manufacturers are stopping shipments. S&P dropped Russian credit to "junk." They don't have much international debt out there, but its telling. European air traffic control turning away Russian airlines.

Here's the problem with a no-fly zone right now: to enforce it, the Ukrainian Air Force would have to be grounded, and right now they're still able to fly and bomb Russian troops. For our planes to patrol Ukrainian airspace, we'd have to feel secure from being shot at. We'd show up on Russian radar and be in range of their missiles. If a Russian unit decided to paint us with radar or actually take a shot at us, we'd destroy the launch site which would create an escalating response spiral. After a couple days it would be a full air war. If Russia kept their fingers off the trigger, they might still insist on fighting the Ukrainians right under our aircraft. Do we bomb them or just watch? If we watch, then that's a signal that we're just there to burn jet fuel and they'll continue fighting as if nothing changed.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2022, 08:57:43 PM »
Here's the problem with a no-fly zone right now: to enforce it, the Ukrainian Air Force would have to be grounded, and right now they're still able to fly and bomb Russian troops. For our planes to patrol Ukrainian airspace, we'd have to feel secure from being shot at. We'd show up on Russian radar and be in range of their missiles. If a Russian unit decided to paint us with radar or actually take a shot at us, we'd destroy the launch site which would create an escalating response spiral. After a couple days it would be a full air war. If Russia kept their fingers off the trigger, they might still insist on fighting the Ukrainians right under our aircraft. Do we bomb them or just watch? If we watch, then that's a signal that we're just there to burn jet fuel and they'll continue fighting as if nothing changed.

But how long can the Ukrainian airforce hold out with their 37 MiG-29s and 32 Su-27s? Not that I believe that NATO wants to get involved in this war more than they already are.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2022, 09:18:00 PM »
My oldest son drew the attached map today based on some other maps I showed him from various sources. I've also attached a much more accurate map as of earlier today. 

I've found a couple of people on Twitter posting good open-source information. Nothing really graphic, mostly pictures/videos of blown-up vehicles or rocket strikes interspersed with some updates that are often geo-located. The second one is keeping a running list of vehicles/aircraft destroyed on both sides based only on confirmed visual evidence (i.e., not including the multiple Russian transport planes Ukraine claims to have shot down).

OSINTtechnical
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical

Oryx
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2022, 09:27:57 PM »
Stop it with the no fly zone stuff. Nuclear powers do not engage directly, full stop. The US/EU will NOT do this, because the potential consequences are too severe.

-W

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2022, 09:50:23 PM »
Fuck Putin!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2022, 10:00:45 PM »
Stop it with the no fly zone stuff. Nuclear powers do not engage directly, full stop.

I believe that India and Pakistan have been known to.

EDITed to add that both China and the USSR had troops in Vietnam during the war and the USSR provided fighter pilots in the Korean war.

The US/EU will NOT do this, because the potential consequences are too severe.

A NATO power probably won't do this. But Tory MP Tobias Ellwood who happens to be chair of the House of Commons defense select committee is calling for one.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:10:42 PM by PDXTabs »

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2022, 10:14:19 PM »
So it does look like there may be at least a shred of truth to Putin's Neo-Nazi claim.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/azov-far-right-fighters-ukraine-neo-nazis

Edit, and maybe also the drug-addict one too:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/05/ukraine-president-takes-up-comedians-drug-test-challenge

The Ukrainian President is Jewish, and his great-grandfather and three great-uncles were murdered in the Holocaust. It would be like claiming that the US is run by neo-Nazis and our government should be overthrown because we have active domestic terrorist groups that march with swastikas and other symbols of white nationalism.
"In 1991, Svoboda was founded as the Social-National Party of Ukraine.[65] The party combined radical nationalism and neo-Nazi features.[66][67][68] It was renamed and rebranded 13 years later as All-Ukrainian Association Svoboda in 2004 under Oleh Tyahnybok. In 2016, The Nation reported that "in Ukrainian municipal elections held [in October 2015], the neo-Nazi Svoboda party won 10 percent of the vote in Kiev and placed second in Lviv. The Svoboda party's candidate actually won the mayoral election in the city of Konotop."[69] The Svoboda party mayor in Konotop reportedly has the number "14/88" displayed on his car and has refused to display the city's official flag because it contains a star of David, and has implied that Jews were responsible for the Holodomor.[66]

The topic of Ukrainian nationalism and its alleged relationship to neo-Nazism came to the fore in polemics about the more radical elements involved in the Euromaidan protests and subsequent Russo-Ukrainian War from 2013 onward.[68] Some Russian, Latin American, U.S. and Israeli media have attempted to portray the Ukrainian nationalists in the conflict as neo-Nazi.[70] The main Ukrainian organisations involved with a neo-Banderaite legacy are Right Sector,[71] Svoboda and Azov Battalion. The persons regarded as Ukraine's national heroes—Stepan Bandera, Roman Shukhevych or Dmytro Klyachkivsky of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA)—at times supported and then opposed the presence of the Third Reich in Ukraine.[72][73] "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism#Ukraine
"In the early 2010s Jewish organizations in and outside of Ukraine have accused the political party All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda" of open Nazi sympathies and being antisemitic.[25] In May 2013 the World Jewish Congress listed the party as neo-Nazi.[26] "Svoboda" itself has denied being antisemitic.[27] In the 2012 Ukrainian parliamentary elections "Svoboda" won its first seats in the Ukrainian Parliament,[28] garnering 10.44% of the popular vote and the 4th most seats among national political parties.[29] In the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary elections the party got 6 parliamentary seats (it won 4.71% of the popular vote in this election).[30] In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election other parties joined Svoboda to form a united party list, these were the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, Right Sector and National Corps.[31] But in the election this combination won 2.15% of the votes, less than half of the 5% election threshold, and thus no parliamentary seats via the national party list.[32] Svoboda itself did win one constituency seat, in Ivano-Frankivsk.[32][33]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_Ukraine

Bandera cultivated German military circles favorable to Ukrainian independence, and organized OUN expeditionary groups. When Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union, he prepared the 30 June 1941 Proclamation of Ukrainian statehood in Lviv, pledging to work with Nazi Germany.[4][5] For his refusal to rescind the decree, Bandera was arrested by the Gestapo, which put him under house arrest on 5 July 1941,[6] and later between 1942 and 1943[7] sent him to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp.[8] In 1944, with Germany rapidly losing ground in the war in the face of the advancing Allied armies, Bandera was released in the hope that he would be instrumental in deterring the advancing Soviet forces. He set up the headquarters of the re-established Ukrainian Supreme Liberation Council, which worked underground. He settled with his family in West Germany where he remained the leader of the OUN-B and worked with several anti-communist organizations such as the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations[9][10] as well as with the British intelligence agencies.[9] Fourteen years after the end of the war, Bandera was assassinated in 1959 by KGB agents in Munich.[11][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2022, 10:21:00 PM »
I'm not encouraging people to compulsively spend all day looking at every bit of news out of Ukraine that they can find. I will however note that if you did want to do that my daily routine is something like:
1. Check the NYTimes
2. Check the WSJ
3. Check https://liveuamap.com
4. Check the Suchomimus YouTube channel (it's just every cam-phone video that they can get their hands on)
5. Try to get some work done
6. Check the Ukraine section of funker530.com. There won't be much here that isn't in the Suchomimus YouTube channel but there are a few things in here that YouTube won't allow you to post. Which is to say kind of graphic. On second thought maybe just check this instead of the YouTube channel because there is more explanation about what you are seeing.

If you are a US (or European) citizen I would encourage you to write your elected representatives and demand immediate oil sanctions on Russia.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 10:41:08 PM by PDXTabs »

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2022, 01:08:08 AM »
I know it's a very unpopular opinion and US and European news have never covered that, therefore it remains absolutely unknown but LPR and DPR have been systematically bombed by Ukrainian Nationalists for 8 years and now Russians show videos of happy and smiling civilians hugging Russian soldiers as they enter the previously occupied by "Ukrainian occupants" territory and saying "hoping this is forever" (the civilians saying).

There are numerous videos taken by Ukrainian civilians from their homes showing Ukrainian solders placing rocket launchers and tanks in playgrounds between several multistory apartment complexes or between schools and therefore using civilians as a human shield (anyone wishing to see the videos, below are the youtube link from Russian news, I know it could be some Russian propaganda, but it could be true. It does help the authenticity that the videos are taken from a multistory apartment, the person behind the camera does speak Ukrainian and does name the army as the Ukrainian army. But, those could have been Russian old tanks in some Russian playgrounds, like a whole production going on, right?). The funny thing is, when Russia is trying to refute the clams that the rockets or shielded vehicles running over cars belong to Russia, they do mention that the weapon is outdated and is no longer utilized by the Russian Army but is still used by the Ukrainian Army.

A lot of videos of Donetsk still being bombed by Ukrainians, who strategically target schools, hospitals and water reservoirs and power plants. A lot of damage to buildings and some civilian casualties (I bet those videos are irrelevant since they portrait the wrong picture). One of the most memorable videos of a 70-80 yo grandma who was explaining to the reporter that those shell fragments from the Ukrainian rocket don't belong to Grad, and Grad shells are much more sharper (seems like a civilian with a lot of experience). The thing is, those videos are coming every day new, with new damage to buildings, new people, new fallen rockets, hard to imagine how much money and time would have been required to create those ahead of time with the current weather and stuff.

A video of bombing a dam that Ukrainians built to "cut off the fresh water supply to Crimea by damming a canal that had supplied 85% of the peninsula's needs before Moscow annexed Crimea in 2014." 'Hey, they annexed, they no longer require drinking water,' - I guess that's what human rights supporters said to themselves in 2014. Imagine Biden cutting water supply to Texas if they decide to annex.

I guess I wanted to introduce some additional sources of information. It seems like most people get their news from sources that aren't physically present in the area or if they are present, they sit in shelters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JggNEPMJqyk&t=965s

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2022, 01:15:19 AM »

But how long can the Ukrainian airforce hold out with their 37 MiG-29s and 32 Su-27s? Not that I believe that NATO wants to get involved in this war more than they already are.

A lot longer than anyone anticipated. As long as they have a few airfields and pick their battles carefully they can make use of what they have.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2022, 01:35:45 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on the best non-profits to give money to to help out the Ukrainian people?

NPR posted a nice compilation of various ideas of how to help.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/25/1082992947/ukraine-support-help

Also just a heads up (for everyone) on the slew of misinformation circulating online. I thought it was good of BBC to call this out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/60513452

Russia itself called this out during the UN meeting

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2022, 01:50:05 AM »
Russia can't be making friends in Ukraine.  So, if they do take over will there be continual resistance?  It seems obvious that there will be.  Killing people creates terrorists.

Ukraine has a large army and it seem as though they have the possibility of taking a large number of Russian troops.  I just wonder if this will weaken Russia. They have been invading other countries for the last dozen years or more.  They must have troops in these other countries.  It would seem to be time for them to actively resist as well.  I'm just wondering if Russia may be stretched thin by this latest military incursion.

It can't help Russia to have almost the entire world disagreeing with the invasion.  To my knowledge there was no coalition.  It was just the one country.  Some of these Ukrainians have been proven to be very brave.

Just an FYI, it uses Belorus to enter the Ukraine on the 3rd front. So, no it's not one country per se. If you also count LPR and DPR fighting alongside Russians to free themselves. Plus, this conflict has been going on for 8 years (just because American and European news hasn't covered anything, it doesn't mean nothing was going on over there), Putin had 8 years to decide what to do, and if he'd decided to start a war, he'd calculated everything.

Russians do not kill civilians (they claim), plus they offer Ukrainian army posts to surrender and those have surrounded (ex. Zmeinyj Island) and Russians allowed them to board and made them sign a decree to not fight in this war. 

However, there are many videos showing Ukrainians strategically (similar to terrorists around the world) placing their tanks and rocket launchers near multistory apartment buildings and schools and therefore using civilians as their human shields.

Also, Zelensky, Ukrainian president, has decided to distribute to civilians 25k of automatic weapons (and more than a mln bullets) without any accountability or requiring any documentation. So, any criminal could get an automatic weapon now in Ukraine. There was already a policeman and a driver of a semi killed as a result of some civilian vehicle opening fire and killing a policemen who wanted to stop the speeding car. A few Ukrainian soldiers were killed by civilian as a result of a mistaken identity. And that's only the beginning, I'm sure every Ukrainian civilian killed now would be blamed on Russia, but with mln bullets and 25k automatic weapons loose. And now also the European friends want to share their weapons with Ukraine.

I don't understand why Americans and Europe don't press Zelensky to cease fire and start peaceful negotiations. Do they really think that Ukraine should fight this battle? Why everyone is so obsessed with sanctions? Putin has ceased fire last night because Zelensky told him he's going to negotiate but then Zelensky didn't connect and used this time to align his own troops and share weapons.

I feel like there is something that I'm totally missing, since everyone is so bent on sanctions but absolutely forget cease fire and negotiation as a option in this case.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 02:28:11 AM by ilsy »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2022, 03:09:54 AM »
Where do I even begin...

plus they offer Ukrainian army posts to surrender and those have surrounded

They shelled an island that doesn't belong to them. You think they deserve a cookie for not slaughtering everybody? Ukrainians are taking plenty of prisoners as well. Many of whom stated they thought they were there for a training exercise.

Ukrainians strategically (similar to terrorists around the world) placing their tanks and rocket launchers near multistory apartment buildings and schools

The Russians invaded and they're driving into neighborhoods. Where apartment buildings exist. That's where the fighting is, so that's where the tanks are.

civilians 25k of automatic weapons (and more than a mln bullets) without any accountability or requiring any documentation.

The country is being invaded, and you're complaining about paperwork? They're concerned with their nation surviving to next weekend.

I don't understand why Americans and Europe don't press Zelensky to cease fire and start peaceful negotiations.

Why should he ask to negotiate? His country was invaded. He doesn't owe Russia anything.

Do they really think that Ukraine should fight this battle?

They were invaded.

Putin has ceased fire last night

Ukrainian forces attacked Chechen reinforcements as they entered the country last night. Russians troops advanced into Kharkov just a few hours ago. Nobody has declared a ceasefire.

used this time to align his own troops and share weapons.

They were invaded. Zelensky is moving his troops on his own soil. He doesn't need permission to do that.

absolutely forget cease fire and negotiation as a option in this case.

What's there to negotiate? Russians stop shooting. Russians stop advancing. Russians get out.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2022, 03:30:14 AM »
Also
Just an FYI, it uses Belorus to enter the Ukraine on the 3rd front. So, no it's not one country per se. If you also count LPR and DPR fighting alongside Russians to free themselves. Plus, this conflict has been going on for 8 years (just because American and European news hasn't covered anything, it doesn't mean nothing was going on over there), Putin had 8 years to decide what to do, and if he'd decided to start a war, he'd calculated everything.
Belarus is a dictatorship not a democracy and a client state of Russia with President Lukashenko as a Russian puppet.  The Belarussian people got no say.
The Donbas (your "LPR" and "DPR" are part of Ukraine, and this was not disputed until Putin lost the plot last week.  And free themselves from what? Democracy?  The Donbas has always been a war by Russian proxies, and it's been a stalement for years.  Putin tried some false flag operations there as a pretext for war but they were clearly faked and failed to convince anyone.

I feel like there is something that I'm totally missing.
An objective viewpoint?  Even China isn' trying to defend Putin on this one.

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2022, 04:26:17 AM »
Stop it with the no fly zone stuff. Nuclear powers do not engage directly, full stop. The US/EU will NOT do this, because the potential consequences are too severe.

-W

We have in the past, in fact I'd estimate over the 70 years we've directly more than 100 of each other citizens, and indirectly 10,000.
Let's review
in 1960 Col Powers was shot down over the Soviet Union, according to an account I read every single pilot in his U2 recon squadron was also attacked and two were hit, but landed in Turkey.
In the Vietnam war Russian pilots flew MIGs that shot down US, Russian technicians also manned North Vietnam SAM (Surface to Air), which destroyed 900 US Aircraft.
US attacked the SAM sites killing dozens of Russians
In 1972, the US mined the harbors of Hanoi, Haiphong will Russian ships were in port
The USSR was the primary weapons supplier to North Vietnam a war that killed 58,000 Americans
From 1979-1989 the US was the primary supplier to the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan, the USSR lost nearly 15,000 in that war
In 1983 Russia shot down a US spy plane, which turned out to be a Korean Airliner, killing 62 US citizens.
From 1991 to 2002 the US maintained No fly zone over most of Iraq. Saddam Hussein was a big customer of the USSR Air Defense, which were routinely manned by Soviet technicians.  The SAM sites were also routinely destroyed by US planes, killing the Russians.
In 2018, Iranian militia and Russian contractors, attack US special forces and Syrian forces. Account very widely but most say around 25 Russians were killed.

This list ignores, the countless, SAM launches, missile locks, a couple of air-air collisions, and some near-collisions between US and Russian ships.
It also ignores special operations, where undoubtedly both sides killed each soldiers. It is also ignore spy operations, assassinations, and quite successful interference in the 2016 election.
In short the cold war was often pretty hot.

The assumption, that a No-Fly Zone in Ukraine would lead to an all-out air war, which in would turn lead to WWIII is faulty. We've spent 70 years figuring out how to avoid using nuclear weapons in some very tense situations.  If we didn't go to war over ten of thousands of troops being sent home in body bags in Vietnam and Afghanistan, would Putin really start WWIII over even a 100 planes being shutdown? Would his military let him, or would they respond like Gen Milley did with Trump and work around a crazy man?    These are all unknowable questions.

What we do know is this
1. Not having air superiority will make it much harder for Russia to take over Ukraine
2. Sanctions almost never work, and when they do like in South Africa they take decades. Ukrainians don't have decades they have days perhaps weeks before the Russians start blasting them with artillery, airstrikes and helicopter gunship
3. The chess proverb the threat is sometimes stronger than the execution applies to warfare. NATO doesn't necessarily need to implement a No-Fly zone, merely the credible threat may be sufficient to bring Putin to the negotiating table.
4. It is a very dangerous precedent to establish that as long as you have enough nuclear weapons, you can bully, and attack your neighbors with no fear of being attacked by conventional means. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 04:31:36 AM by clifp »

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2022, 06:09:07 AM »
It seems Russian propaganda has entered this site.

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2022, 06:22:25 AM »

Ukraine has a large army and it seem as though they have the possibility of taking a large number of Russian troops.  I just wonder if this will weaken Russia. They have been invading other countries for the last dozen years or more.  They must have troops in these other countries.  It would seem to be time for them to actively resist as well.  I'm just wondering if Russia may be stretched thin by this latest military incursion.

Russians do not kill civilians (they claim), plus they offer Ukrainian army posts to surrender and those have surrounded (ex. Zmeinyj Island) and Russians allowed them to board and made them sign a decree to not fight in this war. 

However, there are many videos showing Ukrainians strategically (similar to terrorists around the world) placing their tanks and rocket launchers near multistory apartment buildings and schools and therefore using civilians as their human shields.

Also, Zelensky, Ukrainian president, has decided to distribute to civilians 25k of automatic weapons (and more than a mln bullets) without any accountability or requiring any documentation. So, any criminal could get an automatic weapon now in Ukraine. There was already a policeman and a driver of a semi killed as a result of some civilian vehicle opening fire and killing a policemen who wanted to stop the speeding car. A few Ukrainian soldiers were killed by civilian as a result of a mistaken identity. And that's only the beginning, I'm sure every Ukrainian civilian killed now would be blamed on Russia, but with mln bullets and 25k automatic weapons loose. And now also the European friends want to share their weapons with Ukraine.

I don't understand why Americans and Europe don't press Zelensky to cease fire and start peaceful negotiations. Do they really think that Ukraine should fight this battle? Why everyone is so obsessed with sanctions? Putin has ceased fire last night because Zelensky told him he's going to negotiate but then Zelensky didn't connect and used this time to align his own troops and share weapons.

I feel like there is something that I'm totally missing, since everyone is so bent on sanctions but absolutely forget cease fire and negotiation as a option in this case.
Ukraine ceasefire? Why are you posting Russian propaganda? Its insulting to read this and sounds straight from the Kremlin.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2022, 06:31:03 AM »
Putin has just asked his nuclear forces to be put on "special alert".

The pictures shown of him today seem to show him very full in the face.  Is he on steroids?

ETA: The BBC is saying that "special alert" is the highest level.  The order was given to 2 military men who nodded agreement.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:44:45 AM by former player »

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2022, 06:34:27 AM »

Your post is quite offensive, to be frank. Others have dissected it well, but I would add to the comment on the bolded part...are you serious? I can't think of a good analogy, but this is mildly akin to someone having a baseball bat in their home in case someone breaks in to hurt their family and someone else declaring that they are using their kids as human shields by having that baseball bat there. It's not a problem if no one tries to break into their house and kill them.

Also, as former player said, even the Chinese are not defending Putin, which is indicative of the level of worldwide support for Ukraine and condemnation of Russia. Sometimes you have to wait for months or years to determine if you are on the right or wrong side of history. It can definitively be said that this point of view is on the wrong side of history just days into it happening.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2022, 06:49:56 AM »

Sure looks that way, doesn't it? ‘Don’t call it a war’ – propaganda filters the truth about Ukraine on Russian media (UK Guardian, February 26, 2022)

I recommend laying off of the Russian state news sites. They certainly don't match the first-hand accounts that several of my friends have gotten from loved ones who have fled Ukraine as refugees or remained to fight for their home. The insinuation that Russian propaganda should influence how we view this humanitarian crisis is, quite frankly, insulting.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2022, 07:05:39 AM »

Yes it has.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2022, 07:16:20 AM »
If Russian propaganda has entered here, how far do they go?  I mean this is primarily a money thing here.  Have they hit other sites like Reddit?

I can't understand anyone defending them.  They have a Democracy hijacked by a batshit crazy ex KGB agent.  He tried to poison his opposition leader and I guess he has sent him to the Gulag now.  I guess since Stalin times they've learned to be really good at lying to their own people and others.  And, I hardly pay attention to the news.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2022, 07:24:46 AM »
If Russian propaganda has entered here, how far do they go?  I mean this is primarily a money thing here.  Have they hit other sites like Reddit?

I can't understand anyone defending them.  They have a Democracy hijacked by a batshit crazy ex KGB agent.  He tried to poison his opposition leader and I guess he has sent him to the Gulag now.  I guess since Stalin times they've learned to be really good at lying to their own people and others.  And, I hardly pay attention to the news.

I think it's more a semi-regular poster who's been heavily influenced by Russian propaganda and is parroting the state's lies.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2022, 07:35:59 AM »

I think it's more a semi-regular poster who's been heavily influenced by Russian propaganda and is parroting the state's lies.

A useful idiot, in other words.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2022, 08:54:35 AM »

The pictures shown of him today seem to show him very full in the face.  Is he on steroids?

ETA: The BBC is saying that "special alert" is the highest level.  The order was given to 2 military men who nodded agreement.

I've heard it theorized that he may have started taking a new med that changed his personality.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2022, 09:53:28 AM »

I've heard it theorized that he may have started taking a new med that changed his personality.

The fine and mystic art of kremlinology is back again.  :)

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2022, 09:53:42 AM »
Something is definitely wrong with his mind.
The whole operation is already a huge embarrassment for Mr Putin.
It looks almost as if they got a mole inside that is sabotaging the effort.
I mean who in their right mind would drive several hundred units worth of mobile assets into enemy territory only to turn them into stationary targets by not giving them fuel.
Now his major effort in Russia is to forbid referring to the Ukraine war as "war".
The logic is compelling: if its not called a war one can´t lose a war, I guess.
Funny little man.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2022, 10:03:10 AM »
I'm not encouraging people to compulsively spend all day looking at every bit of news out of Ukraine that they can find. I will however note that if you did want to do that my daily routine is something like:
1. Check the NYTimes
2. Check the WSJ
3. Check https://liveuamap.com
4. Check the Suchomimus YouTube channel (it's just every cam-phone video that they can get their hands on)
5. Try to get some work done
6. Check the Ukraine section of funker530.com. There won't be much here that isn't in the Suchomimus YouTube channel but there are a few things in here that YouTube won't allow you to post. Which is to say kind of graphic. On second thought maybe just check this instead of the YouTube channel because there is more explanation about what you are seeing.

If you are a US (or European) citizen I would encourage you to write your elected representatives and demand immediate oil sanctions on Russia.

Additional sources. And these have the benefit of being free.

https://kyivindependent.com/ - English language Kyiv based newspaper
https://twitter.com/DeepNetAnon - if you're curious what the hackers are doing
https://www.facebook.com/zelenskiy.official - Zelensky's official facebook page, and they've started uploading videos w/English subtitles, just have to wait a bit, or go looking for another translation. There was a youtube site doing it but he seems to have stopped.
There are a number of other facebook pages - military, etc, but I don't have links for them. These are official, verified pages, which has its pros and cons. However, they're all in Ukranian/Russian (I can't tell the difference between the languages).
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/ - gets some stuff, there is also another subreddit more devoted to videos/images of the damage. I am not seeking those out. There's also frequently English translations that people do of the videos or anything you can't copy/paste. I'm sure the translation quality isn't the best but its better than nothing.
Of course, for anything that you can copy and paste, Google translate is helpful.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2022, 10:03:36 AM »
Something is definitely wrong with his mind.
The whole operation is already a huge embarrassment for Mr Putin.
It looks almost as if they got a mole inside that is sabotaging the effort.
I mean who in their right mind would drive several hundred units worth of mobile assets into enemy territory only to turn them into stationary targets by not giving them fuel.
Now his major effort in Russia is to forbid referring to the Ukraine war as "war".
The logic is compelling: if its not called a war one can´t lose a war, I guess.
Funny little man.

I assume the rationale was a 1–2 day Blitzkrieg operation, at which point the Russian soldiers would have full control over and access to supplies in Ukraine. Clearly that didn't go as planned.

I do wonder if/when someone in Putin's cabinet/inner circle will turn against him. They're all wealthy and powerful, and remaining associated with him will hurt them in future. At some point, the self-preservation instinct may kick in.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2022, 10:07:14 AM »
Live updates: Canada joins Europe, closes airspace to Russia (AP News, February 27, 2022)

Regarding free news sites, AP News is another highly reliable and free source of news, as is Reuters. I also get useful news from BBC News and The Guardian.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2022, 10:08:27 AM »
There are 1-2 videos on Zelenski's facebook page, they don't have English translations on the videos, but the accompanying text can be translated (if poorly - screwdrivers?!?). It seems that talks have been agreed upon.
https://www.facebook.com/zelenskiy.official - currently the top 2 videos.

"We have agreed that the Ukrainian delegation will meet with Russian without prior conditions on the Ukrainian-Belarusian border, in the area of the Pripyat river.
Alexander Lukashenko took responsibility for the fact that at the time of the departure, negotiations and return of the Ukrainian delegation, all planes, helicopters and missiles placed on the Belarusian territory will remain on the ground." (FB's translation)

Please cross your fingers for a real ceasefire, that is fair to Ukraine.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 10:14:45 AM by Sibley »

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2022, 10:44:10 AM »
There are 1-2 videos on Zelenski's facebook page, they don't have English translations on the videos, but the accompanying text can be translated (if poorly - screwdrivers?!?). It seems that talks have been agreed upon.

"We have agreed that the Ukrainian delegation will meet with Russian without prior conditions on the Ukrainian-Belarusian border, in the area of the Pripyat river.
Alexander Lukashenko took responsibility for the fact that at the time of the departure, negotiations and return of the Ukrainian delegation, all planes, helicopters and missiles placed on the Belarusian territory will remain on the ground." (FB's translation)

What are the odds that Russia comes to the talks and says, my bad we will lay down our arms and leave your country?

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2022, 10:46:01 AM »

Perhaps he is buying time for a better organized second assault.  I can't imagine the Russians negotiating in good faith.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2022, 11:15:43 AM »
Turkish officials, in a reversal, label Russia’s invasion a ‘war.’ (NY Times, February 27, 2022)

Turkey will implement a 1936 international treaty that would potentially ban both Ukrainian and Russian warships from passing through the straits connecting the Black Sea to the south, Turkey's top diplomat said on Sunday.

Turkey said it had decided that the invasion of Ukraine and the resulting fighting constituted a war. The word “war” allows Turkey to close the straits to vessels of the countries involved.

“To be honest, we have reached the conclusion that this now turned into war,” Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said in a televised interview on the CNN Turk news network.

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1497573395508174856

How are these convoys getting destroyed? Abandoned by the Russians for lack of fuel and torched by Ukrainian infantry? Taken out by airstrike? Ambushed by irregulars with molotovs?
It seems remarkable that Russia is allowing this to happen.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2022, 01:07:24 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1497573395508174856

How are these convoys getting destroyed? Abandoned by the Russians for lack of fuel and torched by Ukrainian infantry? Taken out by airstrike? Ambushed by irregulars with molotovs?
It seems remarkable that Russia is allowing this to happen.

Russia most certainly is not "allowing" this to happen - they happen to be in a position where they cannot prevent it from happening.
What we are seeing is the hidden rot of the Russian military now exposed for all to see.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!