Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779185 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #7150 on: January 18, 2021, 09:37:10 PM »
I hadn't seen this footage until today:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/video-dept/a-reporters-footage-from-inside-the-capitol-siege

disturbing

Yeah, there's no mistaking the noose in this video, either. It's not an unverified fact. They actually built a gallows with a noose. And they trashed a bunch of equipment owned by the Associated Press (one of the most neutral news sources) and stole what was probably classified information.

These are not the good guys.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7151 on: January 18, 2021, 10:25:10 PM »
"....
At 2:24 PM, President Trump tweeted “Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify. USA demands the truth!” Minutes later, the mob was chanting “Hang Mike Pence!” throughout the halls of Congress after building gallows and hanging a noose on the lawn of the National Mall.   ...."

Unverified facts, but a quote from a Republican Member of Congress letter.

Um, I may be missing something, but how are any of these unverified? Are you just saying that you personally did not verify them? Here is Trump's (deleted) tweet, here is an example of the Trumpers chanting "Hang Mike Pence!" (there are more, some actually "in the halls of Congress"), here is the noose.

You are correct, I only meant that have not _personally_ vouched for the facts described.  I'm not on Twitter nor have sources of deleted tweets. (thank you for those).
The fact that it comes from a Republican and makes Trump look bad, in my mind makes it more trustworthy, but it is still a blind quote for me.
My science and genealogy background with emphasis on reliable documentation just got in my way of a random quote.  Yep, I've seen the noose.

It still boggles my mind that Mike Pence still supports in any way a doofus who painted a target on him.

I reluctantly agree with Pence's not invoking the 25th Amendment, purely on grounds of horrible precedent. 
Don't get me wrong, if _I_ was in Pence's shoes, I'd be walking running the 25th Amendment (President incapable of duties of office) petition around. 
But thankfully _I_ am NOT the Vice President.

The only other time I am aware of that a President got this far out of hand with a Vice President was when Jefferson tried to railroad a treason conviction for Aaron Burr. 
At least in that case, they were of different parties, and had been legitimate, heated, rivals for the Presidency, and no love was lost either way.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7152 on: January 19, 2021, 02:58:09 AM »
No.

Plenary power is plenary power.

Although exercise of the Pardon Power in such cases reeks of nepotism and  corruption they do not suffice to nullify its exercise.
Then yeah, Magna Carta is dead in the USA and when Trump Mark 2 comes along you are all fucked.

I must not be smart enough to understand what former player is saying here.  I thought I was doing pretty good with John GI's Latin and legal explanations (excellent job by the way, JGI!)

The Magna Carta is the first (I think?) case of rule of law applying to political leadership.    So if the president can pardon himself, then s/he is not bound by rule of law.

Depends on how you interpret it. Magna Carta is from 1215. The Frostating law from around 950 (oral until 1000-1200) says that if the king becomes a tyrannic ruler the people have to kill him:
"No man shall do (unlawful) violence towards anyone else, neither the king or others. But if the king does it, you shall carve war arrow and let it go to all the counties within the region. And all shall go against him and kill him if they can catch him. And if the king escapes, he shall never be allowed back into the country. Those who will not go against him must pay a fine of 3 marks, and likewise those who stop the arrow."

The war against King Olav the large (later St.Olav) and the killing of him at Stiklestad in 1030 was probably done with basis in this law. The modern Nordic laws are based in the Thing laws, and produced bottom up based on direct democracy (in contrast to representative democracy/nobility/benevolent rulers). That makes them fundamental different in many ways. For instance, we have the shortest law books in Europe, and although there is large room for interpretation, there are very few legal loopholes. You are obliged by law to know and understand the laws and use logic. It is the purpose of the law, not the letter, that matters. We no longer kill bad rulers, but if they don't behave well it doesn't take us long to remove them from power.

Magna Carta is more relevant for US laws, since they are based in the European law system (although carving a war arrow against Trump might sound tempting right now).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7153 on: January 19, 2021, 04:50:38 AM »
I sincerely hope this man, Sens. Romney, Sasse, and Murkowski, and any other sane, non-seditious people still in the Republican party will leave and form their own new, functioning party. His likely replacement with a Trump Republican means that if our current governor, secretary of state, and attorney general (all Democrats) are re-elected in 2022, half of the canvassers will probably refuse to certify the election.

Michigan Politics Tracker | Canvasser who certified Biden win isn't surprised GOP will replace him (Bridge Michigan)

Aaron Van Langevelde was one of two Republican members of the four-member Board of State Canvassers who faced pressure from party activists to block the certification of the state’s election results on Nov. 23. Norm Shinkle, the other Republican canvasser, abstained from the vote, while Van Langevelde said he carried out a “clear legal duty” by voting to certify.

Van Langevelde’s four-year term expires Jan. 31, and he told Bridge Michigan in an email the party’s decision not to renominate him is no surprise.

He said his choice to certify election results upset many in the Republican Party who “have not reached out since then.”

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7154 on: January 19, 2021, 05:11:18 AM »
"Did Magna Carta mean nothing to you?  Did she die in vain?"  (Hancock)
Shit! I just got a very bad case of novel idea flash. Ouch, that hurts!

A small girl named Magna Carta, whose blood is needed to "activate" the pardons. She flees because the president is so bad and after a long chase she is shot by a president fanatic with bull horns.

I'm pessimistic, but keeping my GOP registration for now in case Lara Trump really does run for NC Senate, so I can vote against her in the primary.
I'm registered independent in NC, so I can too.

+1, both parties have open primaries in NC, so there's really no reason to be registered as anything other than unaffiliated unless you want to apply to be one of the party's Electors or something.

You know, every time i read this I wonder why nobody has misused that on a big scale, and also why nobody of the Trump Fans think Antifa has misused that to put the worst candidate on top in 2016 with the goal of imploding the GOP.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7155 on: January 19, 2021, 05:18:07 AM »

I'm pessimistic, but keeping my GOP registration for now in case Lara Trump really does run for NC Senate, so I can vote against her in the primary.
I'm registered independent in NC, so I can too.

+1, both parties have open primaries in NC, so there's really no reason to be registered as anything other than unaffiliated unless you want to apply to be one of the party's Electors or something.

You know, every time i read this I wonder why nobody has misused that on a big scale, and also why nobody of the Trump Fans think Antifa has misused that to put the worst candidate on top in 2016 with the goal of imploding the GOP.
You can bet that they've thought of it now, and that over the next four years the Trump faction of the Republican party (it's a majority of Republicans) will be putting its apparatchics in place in all the battleground States in order to skew the next State, Congress and Presidential elections.

Given that most States seem to have enshrined the Republican and Democrat parties into normal/statutory practice, with State run primaries and so on, I don't see much hope that either the non-Trump faction of the Republican Party will be able to prevail over the Trump faction, or that their leaving and trying to set up a third party to run against the majority Trump Republicans will work.

I am very pessimistic about the chances of American democracy lasting out the next 10 years.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7156 on: January 19, 2021, 05:37:31 AM »
[

It still boggles my mind that Mike Pence still supports in any way a doofus who painted a target on him.

I reluctantly agree with Pence's not invoking the 25th Amendment, purely on grounds of horrible precedent. 
Don't get me wrong, if _I_ was in Pence's shoes, I'd be walking running the 25th Amendment (President incapable of duties of office) petition around. 

The only other time I am aware of that a President got this far out of hand with a Vice President was when Jefferson tried to railroad a treason conviction for Aaron Burr. 
At least in that case, they were of different parties, and had been legitimate, heated, rivals for the Presidency, and no love was lost either way.

I have the opposite worry - if Trump is not removed from office (and that seems the most likely scenario) it sets a horrible precedent regarding the standard for removal.  Vocally encouraging an insurrection would not meet that bar, nor would refuting the results of a free and fair election, colluding with foreign governments, obstructing investigations, or any of the other reprehensible conduct that Trump has engaged in over the last four years.

I’m worried a future president (Dem of GOP) will have to be substantially worse before s/he will be removed from office.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7157 on: January 19, 2021, 06:33:09 AM »
Trump's whole time as president seems a little like a network penetration test. How many ways can he break the government and still get away with it?

Some future GOP president is watching and learning. I worry they'll repeat this and truly hurt this country.

Maybe (MAYBE) Putin is getting his money's worth. Yeah, I'm joking. Kind of.

If I were Pence I would like other's have suggested run the 25th Amendment through so fast... I'm sure Pence is still trying to be a faithful Republican and perhaps that co-ops doing the right thing.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7158 on: January 19, 2021, 06:38:41 AM »
Trump's whole time as president seems a little like a network penetration test. How many ways can he break the government and still get away with it?

Some future GOP president is watching and learning. I worry they'll repeat this and truly hurt this country.

If I were Pence I would like other's have suggested run the 25th Amendment through so fast... I'm sure Pence is still trying to be a faithful Republican and perhaps that co-ops doing the right thing.

To be fair, that has always been Trump's MO. The question now is who has been paying attention and how closely.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7159 on: January 19, 2021, 06:58:14 AM »

Yep Since November 2016, I have been saying that the next GOP president will be as corrupt as Trump, but smarter. God help us.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7160 on: January 19, 2021, 07:50:27 AM »

Yep Since November 2016, I have been saying that the next GOP president will be as corrupt as Trump, but smarter. God help us.

Well that eliminates Don Jr and Eric (not smarter)...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7161 on: January 19, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »
Look at some of the Senators we have now. Are we so secure that Don, Jr., or Ivanka Trump, or Lara Trump cannot get elected Senator? Is it unthinkable that Arkansans would vote for Sarah Huckabee Sanders?

I would like to think we have a system that has held together despite plenty of horrible people seeking power (because that's what horrible people do). Somehow giving the blessing of history to people like Ronald Reagan launders their flaws, flaws that were all too apparent to society who nonetheless chose them for leadership anyway.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7162 on: January 19, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
Look at some of the Senators we have now. Are we so secure that Don, Jr., or Ivanka Trump, or Lara Trump cannot get elected Senator? Is it unthinkable that Arkansans would vote for Sarah Huckabee Sanders?

I would like to think we have a system that has held together despite plenty of horrible people seeking power (because that's what horrible people do). Somehow giving the blessing of history to people like Ronald Reagan launders their flaws, flaws that were all too apparent to society who nonetheless chose them for leadership anyway.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that we'll see at least one Trump offspring run for federal office, and quite possibly win. They will also carry all the toxicity and enthusiasm that Trump himself carried during this last election.  Can they win a presidential election?  Well DJT lost, so they'd have to do better than him.

We've got QAnon supporters in duly elected seats. Seems we'll see members of THe Trump Show in politics for decades to come.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7163 on: January 19, 2021, 08:49:39 AM »

His name is Josh Hawley, and he's already doing it. The perfect GOP candidate: white, male, Christian, full of painful amounts of grievance, willing to do anything to win and has no actual morals. And he's smarter, younger, saner, and better-looking than Trump, so the media will swallow it hook, line and sinker.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7164 on: January 19, 2021, 09:23:30 AM »

7 days ago — "Pence said that the 25th Amendment was designed to address presidential incapacity or disability not “a means of punishment or usurpation."

Initially, I thought invoking the 25th Amendment inapposite. I changed my mind after I read John  Feerick's  analysis of the broad criteria justificative of invoking it.

Trump's insistent belief that the election was stolen and that he is the true winner is a delusion which is "an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder."

So it is plausible to argue  that Trump's delusion is includable within "presidential incapacity or disability," which according to Pence are grounds  supportive of  invoking the 25th Amendment. 

Wikipedia

John Feerick, the principal drafter of the amendment,[3]:xii,xx[4]:5[10] writes that Congress deliberately left the terms unable and inability undefined "since cases of inability could take various forms not neatly fitting into [a rigid] definition ... The debates surrounding the Twenty-fifth Amendment indicate that [those terms] are intended to cover all cases in which some condition or circumstance prevents the President from discharging his powers and duties ..." [3]:112 A survey of scholarship on the amendment found

no specific threshold – medical or otherwise – for the "inability" contemplated in Section 4. The framers specifically rejected any definition of the term, prioritizing flexibility. Those implementing Section 4 should focus on whether – in an objective sense taking all of the circumstances into account – the President is "unable to discharge the powers and duties" of the office. The amendment does not require that any particular type or amount of evidence be submitted to determine that the President is unable to perform his duties. While the framers did imagine that medical evidence would be helpful to the determination of whether the President is unable, neither medical expertise nor diagnosis is required for a determination of inability ... To be sure, foremost in [the minds of the framers] was a physical or mental impairment. But the text of Section 4 sets forth a flexible standard intentionally designed to apply to a wide variety of unforeseen emergencies.[4]:7,20

Among potential examples of such unforeseen emergencies, legal scholars have listed kidnapping of the president and "political emergencies" such as impeachment. Traits such as unpopularity, incompetence, impeachable conduct, poor judgment, or laziness might not in and of themselves constitute inability, but should such traits "rise to a level where they prevented the President from carrying out his or her constitutional duties, they still might constitute an inability, even in the absence of a formal medical diagnosis." In addition, a president who already manifested disabling traits at the time he or she was elected is not thereby immunized from a declaration of inability.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7165 on: January 19, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »

I would like to think we have a system that has held together.

I assure you America has held together.

Tomorrow Biden will be inaugurated the 46th president of the United States according to constitutional methodology.

The nation's governmental architecture of checks and balances, dispersion of power, judicial review, and other revered institutions functioned as  the Founders and the Framers planned.

The United States of America will never be undone by an aberrant leader or institutional abnormalities.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7166 on: January 19, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »
Most of us knew he was delusional years ago.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7167 on: January 19, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »
... If Trump tries to pardon himself, it would probably be the riskiest, stupidest thing he did as president.
Based on what I've seen and read on the news, this is basically the root cause of all his troubles. Not sure if i'm being sarcastic too.

Or he was predicting the future? Like criticizing Obama for playing golf so much during crisis situations... Trum has played more golf in 1 term than Obama in 2 according to this: https://www.politifact.com/article/2017/oct/10/who-plays-more-golf-donald-trump-or-barack-obama/

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7168 on: January 19, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »
... If Trump tries to pardon himself, it would probably be the riskiest, stupidest thing he did as president.
Based on what I've seen and read on the news, this is basically the root cause of all his troubles. Not sure if i'm being sarcastic too.

Or he was predicting the future? Like criticizing Obama for playing golf so much during crisis situations... Trum has played more golf in 1 term than Obama in 2 according to this: https://www.politifact.com/article/2017/oct/10/who-plays-more-golf-donald-trump-or-barack-obama/

It's a fairly safe bet that whenever Trump accuses someone else of something, he's actually projecting something that he either has done himself or wants to do. Which is why his repeated claims of his opponents' election fraud for the past 5 years are so interesting.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7169 on: January 19, 2021, 12:50:53 PM »
It's a fairly safe bet that whenever Trump accuses someone else of something, he's actually projecting something that he either has done himself or wants to do. Which is why his repeated claims of his opponents' election fraud for the past 5 years are so interesting.

Yes.  I've posted this thought numerous time, but Trump is the absolute master of projection.  Damn near 100% of the time whatever he is spouting off about is just a big projection.  It's like the most obvious tell, that's proven right time and time again, and somehow a lot of people don't catch on despite it being pointed out constantly.  I have no hard evidence to back up my claim, but I believe he is pushing the election fraud theory so heavily because he attempted to cheat his ass off and still lost.  He's wondering how the fuck he could lose with all the cheating and voter suppression he was attempting.  It would be like if you stacked the deck to give yourself a winning hand, and then somehow you lost.  You'd be absolutely incredulous and accuse the other side of cheating.  Except they didn't cheat, you are just so incompetent you couldn't actually cheat effectively. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7170 on: January 19, 2021, 01:14:02 PM »

Parler has a new place. Financed by a Russian company.
Compared to RT etc. that's dirt cheap!

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7171 on: January 19, 2021, 01:36:15 PM »

Yes.  I've posted this thought numerous time, but Trump is the absolute master of projection.  Damn near 100% of the time whatever he is spouting off about is just a big projection.  It's like the most obvious tell, that's proven right time and time again, and somehow a lot of people don't catch on despite it being pointed out constantly.  I have no hard evidence to back up my claim, but I believe he is pushing the election fraud theory so heavily because he attempted to cheat his ass off and still lost.  He's wondering how the fuck he could lose with all the cheating and voter suppression he was attempting.  It would be like if you stacked the deck to give yourself a winning hand, and then somehow you lost.  You'd be absolutely incredulous and accuse the other side of cheating.  Except they didn't cheat, you are just so incompetent you couldn't actually cheat effectively.

It almost makes you worried about when they keep accusing the Democrats of being paedophiles...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7172 on: January 19, 2021, 01:40:55 PM »

It almost makes you worried about when they keep accusing the Democrats of being paedophiles...

https://deadstate.org/senator-who-voted-to-protect-bathrooms-from-trans-people-caught-in-hotel-with-underage-boy/

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7173 on: January 19, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »

Tomorrow Biden will be inaugurated the 46th president of the United States according to constitutional methodology.

The nation's governmental architecture of checks and balances, dispersion of power, judicial review, and other revered institutions functioned as  the Founders and the Framers planned.

The United States of America will never be undone by an aberrant leader or institutional abnormalities.
This reminds me of that story about the guy who jumped out of the 200th floor window of his office block.

Passing the 150th window he said "wow, flying is fun"

Passing the 100th window he said "wow, flying is fun"

Passing the 50th window he said "wow, flying is fun"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7174 on: January 19, 2021, 01:46:57 PM »

https://deadstate.org/senator-who-voted-to-protect-bathrooms-from-trans-people-caught-in-hotel-with-underage-boy/

Yes, and then there was Trump's friendship with Jeffrey Epstein.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7175 on: January 19, 2021, 02:05:02 PM »

I've lost track, has he pardoned Epstein yet? And the others?  After all, they are all good people with minor pecadillos.    /s

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7176 on: January 19, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »

I've lost track, has he pardoned Epstein yet? And the others?  After all, they are all good people with minor pecadillos.    /s

Epstein is dead so Trump probably won't waste that pardon.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7177 on: January 19, 2021, 02:20:11 PM »
Read about Pardons here.
https://www.justice.gov/pardon/commutations-granted-president-donald-trump-2017-present#Oct212020

On a slightly different topic I think I've figured out Pence's behavior and extension, the rest of the tRUMPists.

Stockholm Syndrome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome  "Stockholm syndrome is a condition in which hostages develop a psychological bond with their captors during captivity."   Four years is a long time.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7178 on: January 19, 2021, 02:43:19 PM »

Parler has a new place. Financed by a Russian company.
Compared to RT etc. that's dirt cheap!
I believe it was Dan Rather who noted that the MAGA hats are red for good reason.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7179 on: January 19, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »

Epstein is dead so Trump probably won't waste that pardon.

He is?!?!?  How did I miss that?   Good riddance to bad rubbish.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7180 on: January 19, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »
A Trump cultist is starting to question her beliefs:

Lorraine went on to say that in the coming days, “we’re gonna know for sure — is Trump really the 5-D master chess player who is gonna just totally decimate the swamp and arrest all these deep state operatives, and everything we’ve seen up until now was just a massive — you know, all these brilliant chess moves … Is justice finally gonna be served? Are we finally gonna see that checkmate? Are we finally gonna see the traps closed? Or, we’re not. Or we’re gonna find out the truth. Maybe things failed. Maybe the QAnon operation wasn’t real. Maybe some things weren’t really the truth.”

https://deadstate.org/trump-cultist-starts-to-wonder-if-pro-trump-conspiracy-theories-are-fake-maybe-qanon-isnt-real/

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #7181 on: January 19, 2021, 06:08:55 PM »
I have to imagine that that is why Trump seems to have some trepidation around pardoning himself or his children. His children would not have 5th amendment protections from tattling on their father. So even if Trump pardons his children, there's a potential for them to run into obstruction charges if they don't out their father.

Trump on the other hand has to see a self-pardon as a dangerous thing as well. It would basically be an admission of guilt. So he would end up having a whole slew of Civil cases opened up against him and likely would lose a lot of money. And then at the end of it, it likely wouldn't even be upheld. If Trump tries to pardon himself, it would probably be the riskiest, stupidest thing he did as president.

The "pardoned people don't have 5th amendment protections" thing is blown a bit out of proportion.  Because of our federalist system, the same one the same people are excited to know that anyone pardoned by Trump is only getting out of federal crimes and not state crimes, and the strength of 5th amendment protections in our jurisprudence, it's likely that Trump children who were pardoned would still maintain 5th amendment protections for nearly everything because of their potential vulnerability to legal action at the state level.  I have heard many smart legal scholars opine that attempts to invoke the 5th Amendment by these parties would be likely to be successful in just about any court.

Well, it looks like Trump has been convinced not to pardon GOP members, himself, or his children. Looks like at least the GOP lawyers see it as a likely outcome that he would be legally vulnerable. (But my guess is that it would likely end up hurting him financially.)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7182 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »

Lorraine went on to say that in the coming days, “we’re gonna know for sure — is Trump really the 5-D master chess player who is gonna just totally decimate the swamp and arrest all these deep state operatives, and everything we’ve seen up until now was just a massive — you know, all these brilliant chess moves … Is justice finally gonna be served? Are we finally gonna see that checkmate? Are we finally gonna see the traps closed? Or, we’re not. Or we’re gonna find out the truth. Maybe things failed. Maybe the QAnon operation wasn’t real. Maybe some things weren’t really the truth.”

https://deadstate.org/trump-cultist-starts-to-wonder-if-pro-trump-conspiracy-theories-are-fake-maybe-qanon-isnt-real/

Reality crashes down.

I'd love to see a debriefing from a few of these people.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7183 on: January 19, 2021, 07:10:24 PM »

I would like to think we have a system that has held together.

I really doubt that. The system didn't survive two elections before it had to be amended!  They didn't plan on political parties taking over the elections and they didn't plan on us reaching a point where a handful of people could potentially say "I don't feel like signing off on these results." Lucky for us we didn't get to find out what happens after that. Next time we might not be so lucky. The gentleman in Pennsylvania who put his foot down and certified his state is being replaced.  Various governors, secretaries of state, and courts did their jobs, but a lot of legislatures, election boards, and a significant chunk of Congress looked real hard for any loopholes or places where they could interrupt the process.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7184 on: January 19, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
I have to imagine that that is why Trump seems to have some trepidation around pardoning himself or his children. His children would not have 5th amendment protections from tattling on their father. So even if Trump pardons his children, there's a potential for them to run into obstruction charges if they don't out their father.

Trump on the other hand has to see a self-pardon as a dangerous thing as well. It would basically be an admission of guilt. So he would end up having a whole slew of Civil cases opened up against him and likely would lose a lot of money. And then at the end of it, it likely wouldn't even be upheld. If Trump tries to pardon himself, it would probably be the riskiest, stupidest thing he did as president.

The "pardoned people don't have 5th amendment protections" thing is blown a bit out of proportion.  Because of our federalist system, the same one the same people are excited to know that anyone pardoned by Trump is only getting out of federal crimes and not state crimes, and the strength of 5th amendment protections in our jurisprudence, it's likely that Trump children who were pardoned would still maintain 5th amendment protections for nearly everything because of their potential vulnerability to legal action at the state level.  I have heard many smart legal scholars opine that attempts to invoke the 5th Amendment by these parties would be likely to be successful in just about any court.

Well, it looks like Trump has been convinced not to pardon GOP members, himself, or his children. Looks like at least the GOP lawyers see it as a likely outcome that he would be legally vulnerable. (But my guess is that it would likely end up hurting him financially.)

He still has about 12 hours. We'll see tomorrow.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7185 on: January 19, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »

Yep. The same thing I read that says he was reconsidering these high profile pardons said we'd get the news today. So now I guess he'll either dump them in time to try to divert attention from the inauguration, or to try to slip them under the radar. He wins either way.  Still possible it won't include the incendiary ones, but I don't trust him. 

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7186 on: January 19, 2021, 08:49:30 PM »
Trump's "America first" rhetoric leaves me cold.

I cannot fathom any political movement or party that would subscribe to patriotism or nationalism as a founding principle (nb I am aware this is most parties). It just seems so...old school, and pig-headed. Kind of like organising your classroom syllabus based on what football team you follow.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7187 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:48 PM »

Yep. The same thing I read that says he was reconsidering these high profile pardons said we'd get the news today. So now I guess he'll either dump them in time to try to divert attention from the inauguration, or to try to slip them under the radar. He wins either way.  Still possible it won't include the incendiary ones, but I don't trust him.

... And so the soiree begins. Trump just pardoned Bannon, who hasn't even gone to court yet.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7188 on: January 19, 2021, 10:47:46 PM »

... And so the soiree begins. Trump just pardoned Bannon, who hasn't even gone to court yet.

Guaranteed most of these people he’s pardoning will get in trouble for something else soon enough.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7190 on: January 20, 2021, 12:14:27 AM »

This is like that movie, inception where every level contains new thoughts and secrets. But in real life, it's just more stupidity and lies...

The list of pardons

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-executive-grants-clemency-012021/

I also saw Anthony Levandowski on the list, I was pretty surprised by that since he was sentenced this year because he stole files from his former employer (Google's Waymo), started his own company and let himself bought by Uber. Seems like the earlier posts that Rudi getting paid to arrange pardons might not have been that far off.
If I recall correctly, he's still got an active lawsuit basically claiming Uber Freight because they didn't uphold the indemnification agreement when they took him on.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7191 on: January 20, 2021, 12:14:58 AM »
Has Trump just started “The Patriot Party”?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7192 on: January 20, 2021, 05:53:30 AM »
Elliot Broidy is an interesting name on the pardons list - former Republican Party Finance chair and client of Michael Cohen who helped him pay off a woman he allegedly had an affair with, also someone who may have been helping the FBI with their enquiries into Trump.

There are quite a few names who look as though they are corrupt businessmen cronies of the Republican Party, but others who look like traditional and righteous cases for pardon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7193 on: January 20, 2021, 06:03:20 AM »
Well, he commuted the sentence of disgraced former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who will now leave prison 20 years early.

Of course, this doesn't erase the guilty plea or his restitution debts. I'm not sure Trump did this guy a favor. It may have been done to flip the bird at Michigan, particularly Detroit.

Meanwhile, Kilpatrick is facing a mountain of debt when he gets out of prison — about $11 million, according to court records. His debts include:

$552,862 judgement for accepting private jet travel to Vegas, golf outings, Prince tickets and massages from an investor who was trying to close a $117-million deal with the city's pension funds.
$7.4-million judgement issued to a minority contractor who sued Kilpatrick and his convicted contractor friend Bobby Ferguson, claiming water contracts were unfairly steered to Ferguson.
$852,000 in restitution to the City of Detroit stemming from the text message scandal. His last payment was made in 2013 — the year of his federal conviction.
$1.5 million in restitution to the Detroit water department stemming from his 2013 federal conviction, which involved steering lucrative contracts to Ferguson, who got 21 years in prison for his crimes.
$195,000 to the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid taxes.

(Source: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2021/01/20/kwame-kilpatrick-pardoned-donald-trump-detroit-mayor/4217253001/)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7194 on: January 20, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
Trump has left the White House on Marine One - perhaps for the last time ever.

This has been a very long four years.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7195 on: January 20, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »

His farewell speech was everything I expected it to be.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7196 on: January 20, 2021, 06:47:18 AM »
Soon we can replace our "doom-scrolling" with "glee-freshing".

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7197 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »

His farewell speech was everything I expected it to be.

It was more upbeat than I expected, and to his credit he did wish the incoming administration well (while pointedly saying he had set them up for success).  The normal Trump bluster about having accomplished "incredible things" that "no one thought possible."
Surprisingly the only mention of the election was about his 74MM votes (and nothing about Biden's 81MM), and only an oblique suggestion he might run again ("we'll be back in some form").

His comment that "no one worked harder" than he and his family in-Trumpspeak suggests he realizes he's been outworked by both previous and incoming administrations.
Frankly Trump seemed tired and almost...relieved?... to be leaving office.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7198 on: January 20, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
The list of pardons

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-executive-grants-clemency-012021/

As terrible a human being as Trump is . . . some of these pardons seem pretty reasonable.

Robert Francis – President Trump commuted the sentence of Robert Francis. Mr. Francis has served 18 years of a life sentence for non-violent drug conspiracy charges. Mr. Francis has a spotless disciplinary record in prison and has been active in his efforts toward rehabilitation. Upon release, Mr. Francis, a father of 3, will live with his sister in Houston, Texas.

Brian Simmons – President Trump commuted the sentence of Brian Simmons. Mr. Simmons has served 5 years of a 15 year sentence for a non-violent conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana. Mr. Simmons has had an exemplary prison record and upon release will have strong support from his fiancée and his community.

Derrick Smith – President Trump commuted the sentence of Derrick Smith. Mr. Smith is a 53 year-old who has served more than 20 years of a nearly 30 year sentence for distribution of drugs to a companion who passed away. Mr. Smith is deeply remorseful for his role in this tragic death and has had an exemplary record while incarcerated. Mr. Smith intends to secure a construction job, care for his mother and his son, and rebuild his relationship with his two other children.

etc. 

It's important to remember that when they're not done for bribes, presidential pardons do serve a purpose in the US justice system.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #7199 on: January 20, 2021, 06:54:48 AM »

Cue applause and cheers... to be followed by a thoughtul and wary silence...